Re: [madisonahaa] IMPORTANT: Section 8 rent increases meetings

  • Brenda Konkel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2009
      Maybe Nancy can come to the meeting on Tuesday?  I called and left a message.

      On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:44 PM, <rschoer@...> wrote:
      I read about this in the paper. Perhaps we could get a list from the apartment association of landlords and or more affordable proeprties for rent.
      I read about the woman who had a one bedroom apartment for $750 who's section 8 rent was raising. There are MANY apartments even 2 bedroom apartments in Madison much cheaper than that. A good strategy can be to connect people with apartments  that will keep their costs down. Perhaps Nancy Jensen from the Apartment Association would be willing to help.

      Ruth Ann Schoer
      Development Director
      Salvation Army of Dane County
      608-250-2248 or 345-0191

      Wednesday, July 8, 2009
      4:30 PM CDA HOUSING OPERATIONS SUBCO
      MMITTEE ROOM 120 MMB
      - Revising the payment standard.
      I wonder how many people even understand what that means?  You can kind of get it from the resolution. Or the letters sent to tenants and landlords, but essentially, people who get housing assistance from the CDA (Section 8) will now be getting less money to pay their rent.  Details of how much per person are not really available because it changes person by person based on several variables, but needless to say, tough economic times just got tougher for those who were already struggling.

      Thursday, July 9, 2009

      4:30 PM COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY EAST MADISON COMMUNITY CENTER, 8 STRAUBEL CT
      - Lakepoint Condos, Truax (they got their tax credits and explain how this will not be like Allied Drive), Allied Drive Update, Truman Olson (doesn't look like any new info or written updates), Villager Mall (some are getting leases, others haven't gotten theirs yet), Burr Oaks Senior Housing discussion (no materials)
      - Raising the payment standard (see above).

      Tuesday, July 14th, 2009
      Noon, Social Justice Center Conference Room, 1202 Williamson St. - Community Meeting to discuss community strategies to deal with fall out from the funding shortage.  Everyone welcome!  Bring your ideas.