Not on My Watch

  • Stephanie House
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2009
      MALDEF Email
      MALDEF
      Dear Fellow Advocate,

      I'm writing to you to ask for your help on behalf of the family of Luis Ramirez. On July 14, 2008, Ramirez lost his life after he was knocked unconscious and severely beaten by a group of Shenandoah teenagers who yelled racial epithets throughout the fatal beating. Charging documents and eyewitness accounts indicate that Ramirez was punched and kicked in the body and head causing him to foam at the mouth, to sustain two skull fractures, and ultimately, to die.

      You can read about it here.

      On Friday, May 1, 2009, a jury found two of the defendants not guilty, despite the mounting evidence of a hate-driven attack, the jury acquitted the defendants of third-degree murder and ethnic intimidation and only convicted them of simple assault.

      The jury's conclusion is an outrage. We need you, and so does Luis Ramirez’s family. Will you join me in making sure the DOJ does its job and brings justice to Shenandoah, Pennsylvania?

      I really hope you’ll offer your support in the fight for justice for Luis Ramirez and his family.

      Please sign the petition today.

      Stephanie House

      Contribute Tell a friend Sign up

      © 2009 MALDEF