Caring Adults Needed For Hundreds of Students Awaiting Academic Help!

  • Edward Lee
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2009

      Dear Friends,

      Please help spread the word… Forward this email to a family member, friend, colleague, or email group. Post this notice on your Facebook page or other favorite social networking site. Post the attached flyers in your workplace, your place of worship, your local community center, or a neighborhood business. The February 3 training and orientation is free. If someone can’t make it, have them contact us to learn about other upcoming training opportunities. As Scott Gray points out below, “we have an opportunity to help hundreds more students improve their academic performance and close the school year on a strong note!”

      Thanks!

      Ed

      Caring Adults Needed For Hundreds of Students Awaiting Academic Help!

      Urban League of Greater Madison takes up call to action as Obama makes service and citizenship “cause of his presidency.”

      Members of the community are needed as tutors for hundreds of student of all ages, from elementary to high school. A free orientation and training is scheduled Tuesday, February 3 at James C. Wright Middle School, 1717 Fish Hatchery Road in Madison.

      The call for volunteers comes from the Schools of Hope Project partners including the Urban League of Greater Madison, Madison School District, RSVP of Dane County, and United Way of Dane County. Schools of Hope is a proven, one-on-one or one-on-two tutoring model that uses trained academic tutors. It is one of several strategies being used to address the racial achievement gap in Madison, Sun Prairie, Oregon, and Verona school districts.

      Hundreds of academic tutors were trained and matched with students earlier in the school year.  Unfortunately, there are still hundreds of students waiting for their caring adult tutor. Urban League CEO Scott Gray explained that “with the start of the second semester just upon us, we have an opportunity to help hundreds more students improve their academic performance and close the school year on a strong note! No special education or experience is necessary to become a tutor - just a willingness to help about one hour per week.”

      The Urban League asks that community members heed the call that President Obama has put forth... “We need your service, right now, in this moment - our moment - in history. I'm not going to tell you what your role should be; that's for you to discover. But I am going to ask you to play your part; ask you to stand up; ask you to put your foot firmly into the current of history.”

      Local businesses, professional associations, and civic groups are encouraged to play a role by encouraging members or employees to volunteer. Join local companies such as The Douglas Stewart Company, Sonic Foundry, Heritage Credit Union, and others that have adopted a school in their community and encouraged their employees to serve as Schools of Hope tutors.

      A free orientation and training is scheduled Tuesday, February 3 at James C. Wright Middle School, 1717 Fish Hatchery Road in Madison.  Registration begins at 4:30 PM with workshops running between 5:00 PM and 7:00 PM. Advance registration is preferred, but not required. Training is open to those who are current tutors and those who are considering becoming tutors. Workshop topics include Middle School Math, Middle School Reading and Writing, High School Math, Basics of K-3 Literacy, Advanced Literacy Strategies, and Literacy Strategies for Elementary ESL Students.  Call 608-251-8550 or email volunteer@... to pre-register or if you are interested but unable to attend the February 3 training. See our website at www.ulgm.org for more information.

      Training sponsors include: Madison Metropolitan School District, The Urban League of Greater Madison, RSVP of Dane County, Madison School and Community Recreation, The United Way of Dane County, Dane County Department of Human Services, Centro Hispano of Dane County, the UW’s Morgridge Center for Public Service, Edgewood College, and Madison Area Technical College.