FW: Chief Justice Bans Use Of "Illegal" and "Alien s"

  • Leila Pine
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2008

      Por fin, some good news.  If they can do this in Arizona, we should be able to do it here in Wisconsin, at least while Shirley Abrahamson is still Chief Justice of the Wis. Supreme Court, verdad?  If anyone wants to get in touch with contacts who worked on this in Arizona for tips on how they did it, e-mail me separately and I’ll give you the names and contact info.

      Leila

      Coalición de Derechos Humanos

      Contact:

      P.O. Box 1286
      Tucson, AZ 85702

      Office: 520.770.1373
      or 1.800.682.4280
      Fax: 520.770.7455

      www.derechoshumanosaz.net

      ningun ser humano es ilegal

      Coalición de Derechos Humanos is a grassroots organization which promotes respect for human/civil rights and fights the militarization of the Southern Border region, discrimination, and human rights abuses by federal, state, and local law enforcement officials affecting U.S. and non-U.S. citizens alike.

      DH logo

      Judge Bans Use Of "Illegal" and "Aliens"

      Thu, 11/06/2008 - 17:10 - Judicial Watch Blog

      Arizona's Supreme Court chief justice has agreed to enforce the Hispanic Bar Association's demands of banning the terms "illegal" and "aliens" in all of the state's courtrooms.

      Claiming that the terms are inflammatory, the president of
      Arizona's Hispanic Bar Association, (known as Los Abogados) has asked state Supreme Court Chief Justice Ruth McGregor to stop using them at trials or hearings because they create perceptions of judicial bias.

      In a strongly worded letter to the chief justice, Los Abogados' president says attaching an illegal status to a person establishes a brand of contemptibility, creates the appearance of anti-immigrant prejudice and tarnishes the image of courts as a place where disputes may be fairly resolved.

      It further points out that no human being is illegal and that a national Hispanic journalism association has roundly criticized the reference for dehumanizing a segment of the population. The letter goes on to criticize the state's High Court for using the term "illegals" in at least two opinions and the term "illegal aliens" in dozens of others.

      It concludes with a list of acceptable and unacceptable terms relating to illegal immigration. Among those the group wants banned are; immigration crisis, immigration epidemic, open borders advocates, anchor babies and invaders. Among the acceptable terms are foreign nationals, unauthorized workers and human rights advocates.

      Click here to see the entire list as well as Chief Justice McGregor's promise to enforce the requests.

      Read the article online

      Safe Unsubscribe

      This email was sent to lpine@... by kat@....

      Coalicion de Derechos Humanos | P.O. Box 1286 | Tucson | AZ | 85702

    • Sal Carranza
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 12, 2008
        Great news!  We should be able to do it here as well.  But it is not only in the courtrooms that this terms have to stop being used, it is also in the media.  Indeed, if they could do it in Arizona, we should do it here too.

        Sal Carranza

[...]

        This email was sent to lpine@... by kat@derechoshumanos az.net.

        Coalicion de Derechos Humanos | P.O. Box 1286 | Tucson | AZ | 85702