FW: [Samaritanpatrols] forum-flyer

  • Leila Pine
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
    • Sal Carranza
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
        Thank you Leila:

        Yes, we could do something like this in conjunction with our sanctury and educational efforts with MUM.  I will talk to Linda Ketcham about it.

        Sal

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007

          We’ve got some good handouts on preparing for a raid, interacting with police, etc. Megan Beaman is working with the NLG on immigrant rights workshops too. We are also working on an info sheet on youth rights and immigration issues that could be a supplement as well.

          For 2008, our goal is to build up our Know Your Rights (street law and privacy rights) program and we hope to reach out to folks in LUChA and La Sup for volunteer KYR Advocates (trained workshop facilitators). The call for volunteers should formally go out in January. On a related note, we are doing a legal observer training (Sal did this with us in 2004) on January 24 and would love to have Spanish-speaking observers for immigrant rights rallies. That announcement will come out shortly as well.

          Stacy Harbaugh

          Community Advocate

          ACLU of Wisconsin

          Madison Area Office

          (608) 469-5540

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007

            We have some good hand outs on preparing for a raid, interacting with law enforcement, etc. Megan Beaman is working with the NLG to do immigration rights workshops as well.

            Our goal for 2008 is to expand our Know Your Rights program to teach privacy rights and how to interact with law enforcement. We are targeting low-income and minority youth, however basic Constitutional rights are pretty much the same for young and old, citizens and non-citizens. In January, we will be sending out the call for volunteer KYR Advocates (trained workshop facilitators) and we hope to recruit Spanish-speaking volunteers from LUChA and La Sup. Working with the NLG and local immigration rights advocates on this is important to me, so let me know how I can help.

            On a related note, we are going to be holding another legal observer (and protest rights) training on January 24 (Sal did this with the ACLU and the NLG in 2004). It would be great to have Spanish-speaking volunteers to observe immigration rights rallies as well. The call for volunteers for that will come out shortly.

            Thanks,

            Stacy

            ACLU of Wisconsin

            (608) 469-5540

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
            • Sal Carranza
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
                Stacy:

                Please count me in for observer duties any time that you need me.  As for the "know your rights" campaign, could you please send any info that you can to Fabi Hamdan?  She is putting together a manual which has a very relevant legal rights section.

                Thanks,

                Sal