SSA urgent action!-PLEASE

  • Alex Gillis
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2007
      From: worker1 <worker1@...>
      Subject: SSA urgent action!-PLEASE

      Dear Friends,

      There is a national effort to get SSA to put a hold on sending out the 'no
      match' letters with the new DHS guidelines. Please fax a letter (you can
      use or modify the example below) today to the Chicago Regional Office. If
      they get enough community outcry they can use that as a reason for putting a
      hold on the change. SSA is not particularly happy with DHS creating this
      headache for them.

      PLEASE FORWARD TO OTHER SUPPORTERS!

      Patrick Hickey
      ICWJ Director
      Interfaith Coalition for Worker Justice
      608/255/0376
      worker@...
      www.workerjustice.org

      > The letters WILL go out on Tuesday, unless we act. So here's the info I
      > told you about in my message. By the way the person you want to address
      the
      > letter to is:

      CHICAGO REGION: Illinois , Indiana , Michigan , Minnesota , Ohio , Wisconsin
      James Martin -- 312-575-4000
      Regional Commissioner
      105 W. Adams Street
      10th Floor
      Chicago , IL 60603
      Fax Number: 312-575-4016

      August 31, 2007

      Michael J. Astrue
      Commissioner of Social Security
      Social Security Administration
      Baltimore, MD 21235-0001

      Dear Commissioner Astrue:
      On behalf of the Low Wage Immigrant Worker Coalition (LWIW), a collaborative
      of state and national advocates working to improve the conditions of
      immigrant workers, we write to express our grave concern with the no-match
      letters that SSA will soon send to employers with the new DHS rule insert.
      We understand that SSA will send approximately 140,000 no-match letters to
      employers nationwide in an attempt to resolve discrepancies in your records.
      However, as you are aware, in the past these letters have resulted in
      unlawful terminations and discriminatory behavior by employers who feared
      repercussions. Now the DHS is hijacking the no-match letter process,
      converting it into an immigration enforcement tool. With the added threat
      of immigration enforcement, it is likely that we will see even more mass
      terminations, unlawful re-verification of work authorization,
      discriminatory
      treatment, and retaliation against workers who organize labor unions or
      file
      complaints. We fear that countless workers will be harmed as a result of
      the new DHS rule, and many of these workers will undoubtedly be U.S.
      citizens and legal residents. Finally, the new rule does nothing to
      resolve
      the problems with our broken immigration system. Undocumented workers who
      receive no-match letters will not leave the country. Instead they and
      their
      employers will move into the unregulated, cash-based underground economy,
      resulting in unfair competition, the loss of tax revenue, and further
      exploitation and abuse by unscrupulous employers.
      As you know, litigation has been filed requesting injunctive relief against
      the new rule. Furthermore there are many outstanding questions regarding
      the "safe haven" procedures for employers. We urge you to reconsider
      sending the next batch of letters until these matters have been resolved.
      Failure to do so will result in mass confusion and economic upheaval.

      Sincerely,

    • worker1
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2007
        Dear Friends,