FW: LOS ANGELES MAY DAY MARCH DISRUPTED BY POLICE

  • Leila Pine
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2007
      LOS ANGELES MAY DAY MARCH DISRUPTED BY POLICE

      Mexican American Political Association

      April 27, 2007

      Greetings!

      LOS ANGELES MAY DAY MARCH DISRUPTED BY POLICE

      _

      Below is our letter to the Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, and President of the Police Commission, John Mack, which demands an immediate investigation into the events of May 1, 2007 in Los Angeles.

      We call on all organizations to unite around the demand to investigate the police brutality and abuse heaped on innocent men, women, and children - the only violence yet recorded in the hundreds of marches during 2006 and 2007 in favor of the rights of immigrants.

      Please use this letter as a basis to send your own, either individual or organizational.

      May 2, 2007

      Chief William Bratton
      Los Angeles Police Department
      150 N. Los Angeles Street
      Los Angeles, CA 90012

      Dear Chief Bratton:

      On behalf of the Mexican American Political Association (MAPA) and the Hermandad Mexicana Latinoamericana, and the tens of thousands of our members in the city of Los Angeles, I would like to convey my emphatic protest at the behavior and performance of the LAPD on the evening of May 1, 2007 at MacArthur Park, the site of the MIWON- sponsored MAY DAY event.

      Thousands of my organization's members attended and were literally shocked at the excessive use of force and over-reaction by officers of the department.

      We call upon you to conduct a thorough, exacting, and transparent investigation into the events of May 1st. Additionally, we call for you to certainly conduct your internal investigation, but that you also conduct open public hearings and allow persons from the public to provide oral and written testimony.

      I am aware that a relatively small group of individuals sought to disrupt the event, as they did on May 1, 2006, however, the LAPD's tactics on this occasion were not targeted at this particular group alone, were excessive in the use of force, were generalized to all rally attendees in that general vicinity, and harmed women and children, innocent attendees, and members of the news media.

      The tactics employed by the department on May 1, 2006, for example, were more appropriate, measured, and intelligent, targeted to isolate the disrupters, and did not snarl other attendees in their sweep.

      It is my best hope that we can better coordinate our security efforts in the future to avoid any repetition of such incidents as it is our plan to continue to organize similar marches.

      We await your response to our request for a public investigation where in the public will have an opportunity to present their views.

      Sincerely,

      Nativo V. Lopez
      National President

      May 2, 2007

      Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa
      Office of the Mayor
      200 North Spring Street, Room 303
      Los Angeles, CA 90012

      Honorable Mayor Villaraigosa:

      On behalf of the Mexican American Political Association (MAPA) and the Hermandad Mexicana Latinoamericana, and the tens of thousands of our members in the city of Los Angeles, I would like to convey my emphatic protest at the behavior and performance of the LAPD on the evening of May 1, 2007 at MacArthur Park, the site of the MIWON- sponsored MAY DAY event.

      Thousands of my organization's members attended and were literally shocked at the excessive use of force and over-reaction by officers of the department.

      I call upon you to conduct a thorough, transparent, and public investigation into the events of May 1, 2007.

      The behavior of the LAPD officers was over-the-top in their reaction to a relatively small group of rally disrupters, especially in the generalized use of excessive force without prior loud-speaker notice to disperse.

      The marches and rallies that we have organized, either solely or in conjunction with other organizations, have been characterized by their peaceful, festive, and cooperative comportment. This has been repeatedly described by the media. Never before have millions of individuals repeatedly taken to the streets and protested in the United States without incidents of disruption, property damage, violence, or even litter.

      We have every intention to not only continue our organizing activities throughout the city, including marches, rallies, pickets, sit-ins, etc., but also we have every intention to strengthen our cooperation with the LAPD to prevent any repetition of the incidents that tarnished our mutual record.

      I look forward to working with your office to assure an expeditious investigation, a full public airing of the corrective recommendations, and the implementation of the same.

      I am available to meet with you at your convenience. I can be reached at (323) 269-1575.

      Sincerely,

      Nativo V. Lopez
      National President

      lalo

      Join us in this prolonged campaign for driver's licenses and visas for our families. The first step in making change is to join an organization that pursues the change we desire. We welcome you to our ranks.

      Other organizations leading this movement include: Hermandad Mexicana Latinoamericana, Mexican American Political Association (MAPA), MAPA Youth Leadership, Liberty and Justice for Immigrants Movement, National Alliance for Immigrant's Rights, and immigrant's rights coalitions throughout the U.S..

      CONTACT:
      Nativo V. Lopez, National President of MAPA (323) 269-1575

      Join the Mexican American Political Association mailing list

      Email:

      Sincerely,

      Mexican American Political Association

      phone: 323-269-1575

      Forward email

      This email was sent to lpine@..., by newsletter@...

      Mexican American Political Association |
      310 N. Soto Street | Los Angeles | CA | 90033