      From: Voces de la Frontera <vdlf@...>
      Date: December 11, 2013 at 9:54:56 AM CST
      To: salcandresen@...
      Subject: TODAY: Wisconsin Elected Officials, Advocates Hold Day-Long Fast for Immigration Reform

      December 11, 2013

      Contact:  Nancy Flores (608) 358-0565statewideorganizer.voces@ gmail.com

                     Joe Shansky (414) 795-3380, joe@...

      TODAY: Wisconsin Advocates Hold Day-Long Fast for Immigration Reform and to End Deportations

      WHO:  Fasters include State Representative JoCasta Zamarripa and other elected officials, Voces executive director Christine Neumann-Ortiz, immigrant families, friends, faith leaders, and others

      WHERE:​ Wisconsin State Capitol, Room 328 NW, Madison

      WHAT:  #Fast4Families Wisconsin Solidarity Fast

      WHEN: W​ed, December 11th  8:30 AM – 4:00 PM   *Press conference at 12:30 pm

      WHY: ​Across the country, momentum for federal immigration reform and an end to the separation of immigrant families is increasing.  The calls are getting louder for President Obama to use his administrative powers to provide relief from record deportations, and for House Speaker Boehner and the Congress to act fast on a new reform bill.

      In Washington, hunger strikers such as former SEIU International Secretary-Treasurer Eliseo Medina, Christian social justice leader Jim Wallis, Rep. Joe Kennedy, and others have garnered national attention, and led to visits from President Obama, Michelle Obama, and congressional representatives including Wisconsin's Ron Kind.

      To help sustain the fast for immigration justice, a delegation including Racine Unified School Board member Mike Frontier, is travelling from Racine to Washington DC today to participate in a national three-day fast to stand in solidarity with others from across the US, who are hungry for family unity and immigration reform with a path to citizenship.

      "Every day 1,100 families are separated due to deportations, and I remember what it was like to live with the fear of not knowing when I'd be separated from my family.  I am willing to sacrifice my body without food for one day if this brings the movement one step closer toward legalization with a path to citizenship," says Ramon Argandona, a local activist who will particpate in the fast.

      ​​8:30 am10:30 am2:30 pm4:00 pm: Educational programs, prayer/silent meditation

      12:30 pm Press Conference

      Click here to unsubscribe

      empowered by Salsa