5476Literacy Network News for November

  • Jeff Burkhart
    Nov 6, 2013
      Literacy Network News for November

      By Franco LaTona, Literacy Network Volunteer

      Sughey Salinas has been coming to the Literacy Network with her husband for almost two years. Each of them receives individualized volunteer tutoring. Salinas's eyes lit up as she recalled an incident about six months ago when she was able to communicate using English. She said she lost the key to her mailbox, and called the post office to look into replacing it. Nobody there spoke Spanish. Salinas put her training to the test.

      Read more...

      The fall semester is in full swing, and the Student Services Department is busy at work with new ideas! ï¾ ï¾ We are building stronger relationships with our learner to develop a better understanding of their stories, struggles, and their moments of triumph. We reach out to better understand the goals of learners and to make sure they are comfortable with their tutors and their classes. We have adopted a follow-up system similar to the one used with our volunteer tutors. ï¾

      Read more...

      By Amy Krill, AmeriCorps VISTA
      Madison College Classroom Tutoring Coordinator

      I began with Literacy Network in September of 2012, as a Classroom Tutor (CRT) at Madison College, which ended up being one of the best decisions I ever made.
      I witnessed first-hand how advances in literacy can give an individual the confidence and ability to achieve things they had never before been able to do.ï¾ My time spent in the ESL Classroom motivated me to earn my TEFL Certification from the TEFL Institute of Chicago and get as involved in ESL and literacy as possible.
      Read more...

      I am very excited about joining Literacy Network as the Adult Basic Education Director. What impressed me is that Literacy Network is such a dynamic and caring team that does great work in the Madison community. ï¾ I hope to make an immediate impact on the lives of our learners and helping carry out the mission of the Literacy Network. Special thanks to the staff for making me feel welcomed and comfortable. I look forward to meeting and connecting with everyone in the near future.

      By Jane Earl, Literacy Network Board Member

      Why am I involved with Literacy Network? Because Literacy Network has the power to change lives. With LITERACY comes self-reliance. With LITERACY and self-reliance come freedom, choices, options and opportunity. I can't imagine a life without the ability to read and write. Can you? It is absolutely vital to holding a job, reading to your children, following a doctor's prescription, obeying traffic signs, operating equipmentï¾… Read more...

      By Brenda Becerra-Anderson, Spanish and Childcare Program Manager

      I have been living in beautiful Madison for seven years now as a graduate student in pursuit of a doctorate in Spanish Language & Literature. I am putting my time management and organizational skills to the ultimate test as I balance teaching at UW-Madison and my dissertation with my new management responsibilities at the Literacy Network.

      Read more...

      By Jason Iverson, Literacy Network Board Member

      Whether you are an entrepreneur or an employee, effective communication is crucial to success. By teaching reading, writing, and communication skills to adult citizens of Dane County, Literacy Network enables the individual to achieve success so that anything is possible in their future. Once one person is empowered with the knowledge of literacy, there is a ripple effect of greater good in the community. I have witnessed this sea of change and it is what has shaped my own life's work.

      Read more...

      © 2013 Literacy Network

      - Mission Statement - Donate Now!

      To unsubscribe, click here.