      From: Christine Neumann <cineumann@...>
      Date: June 14, 2013 23:58:40 CDT
      To: "wnirr@..." <wnirr@...>
      Subject: Re: Press round up from children's delegation

      Did you share with FiRM?

      Christine Neumann-Ortiz

      On Jun 14, 2013, at 2:59 PM, Joe Shansky <joe.voces@...> wrote:

      Correction:

      Notimex News Network - "Afectados por deportaciones visitan a legisladores de Estados Unidos"

      http://noticias.starmedia.com/hispanos/afectados-por-deportaciones-visitan-legisladores-estados-unidos.html

      (Translation)  "I have no one to hug on Father's Day", said Lisbeth Alvarado 14, who came to Washington from Wisconsin with her brother Rigoberto, 15.

      "My father was deported to Mexico three months ago," Rigoberto Alvarado, told Notimex after visiting the Wisconsin Republican Rep. Paul Ryan, former candidate for vice president of the United States.

      The youth subsequently expected to meet with representatives of Sen. Marco Rubio, one of the initiators of the bill the Senate bipartisan analyzes.

      Mexican Salvador Rojas, 14, said on his part that his father is in deportation proceedings after agents of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) arrested him at his home when looking for someone else.

      Lawmakers should sympathize "with children who are left without their fathers or mothers" by deportation, said Rojas, who came to America at three years old.

      He said legislator Ryan's responses to questions were "very good" and that the congressman "is on the side of immigration reform."

      Leslie Perez, 11, said on her part that she has not been personally affected by the deportations but has friends who face family separation by deportation.

      "Many families are not together," said Perez, who participated in the visit to legislators sponsored by groups such as the Fair Immigration Reform Movement (FIRM) and Voces de la Frontera.

      On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Joe Shansky <joe.voces@...> wrote:

      Terrific national Spanish-language coverage of the children's lobby visits in DC:

      MUNDO FOX: "Wisconsin children of deported fathers visit Paul Ryan’s office"

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxMTM7Gp1c

      Associated Press: "Senado EEUU Rechaza Enmienda A Ley Migratoria"

      http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AMN_INM_EEUU_REFORMA_SPUS-?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-06-13-13-23-19

      (Translation)

      "As the Senate was in session, a delegation of eight children whose parents are about to be or have already been deported from the state of Wisconsin on Thursday implored their senator, Republican Ron Johnson, help to pass immigration reform.

      Several of the children tried to recount the experiences of their families and how painful the upcoming Father's Day will be, but the tears overwhelmed their voices while sitting at a round-table with Johnson.

      Rigoberto Alvarado, a high school student from Green Bay born 15 years ago in the United States and whose father was deported last month, told Johnson that "I hope you can help those who do not have papers."

      Johnson thanked them "for coming up here, because travel 15 hours by car is not fun. Their tears speak for you."

      Regarding the bill being debated by the Senate, the Republican senator said "there are political realities we have to understand. Something that is approved in the Senate would then have to be approved the House as well, and I'm trying to thread the needle" .

      "I know things are not moving fast enough for you, but they move too fast from the point of view of the legislative process," he said "This is not the way to make sausage."

      Notimex News Network - "Afectados por deportaciones visitan a legisladores de Estados Unidos"

      (Translation) Lesley Perez, 11, said on her part that has not been personally affected by the deportations, but has friends who face family separation by deportation. "Many families are not together," said Perez, who participated in the visit to legislators sponsored by groups such as the Movement for Fair Immigration Reform (FIRM) and Voces de la Frontera.

      http://noticias.starmedia.com/hispanos/afectados-por-deportaciones-visitan-legisladores-estados-unidos.html

      EFE News Network -

      "Niños ciudadanos con padres indocumentados, los nuevos exiliados" http://www.holaciudad.com/ninos-ciudadanos-padres-indocumentados-los-nuevos-exiliados-n323282

      (Translation) "My father has been facing deportation proceedings for two years because one day agents came home and took him away handcuffed like a criminal," says Salvador Rojas, a 14-year-old today, who along seven other young people to Washington to explain their situation to the congressmen
      .
      "It's been a long journey, but worth it because it's good for legislators to hear stories of young children, and see how we suffer," Rojas said, referring to the path that has led from Wisconsin (where they live) to the capital.

      The entire group has held meetings in Washington with their state senators Ron Johnson (R) and Tammy Baldwin (D), as well as the Wisconsin representative and former candidate vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan."

      --
      JOE SHANSKY
      Voces de la Frontera

      --