Attention Moderators: 226 new members in the last 7 days????

  • pjreard
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18, 2012
      Hello,

      I was wondering if any of the other moderators have noticed the frankly alarming number of new members that have joined this group lately? When I first became a moderator, I checked the box that enabled yahoo to send me notification whenever members joined or left the group. I have been receiving 20 to 50 new member notices a day for the last week. And all the names have similar form. I'm no expert, but I think we have a bot problem.

      Any ideas what we need to do next?

      pj
    • Cindy Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18, 2012
        I don't have any experience with this, but I'd be happy to contact support if no one else has any answers!

        Cindy

        I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself.
        ~Oscar Wilde

        ________________________________
        I was wondering if any of the other moderators have noticed the frankly alarming number of new members that have joined this group lately? When I first became a moderator, I checked the box that enabled yahoo to send me notification whenever members joined or left the group. I have been receiving 20 to 50 new member notices a day for the last week. And all the names have similar form. I'm no expert, but I think we have a bot problem.

        Any ideas what we need to do next?

        pj

      • BaiShengLi
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18, 2012
          Do you have to approve members? If you do just make them write something about why they want to access the site... maybe?

          Laura and Chachi proud parents of
          Alexander 7.14.02 http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/q/qilin/
          and Tristan 5.3.07 http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/q/qi2

          ________________________________

          I was wondering if any of the other moderators have noticed the frankly alarming number of new members that have joined this group lately? When I first became a moderator, I checked the box that enabled yahoo to send me notification whenever members joined or left the group. I have been receiving 20 to 50 new member notices a day for the last week. And all the names have similar form. I'm no expert, but I think we have a bot problem.

          Any ideas what we need to do next?

          pj

        • Sarah McBrayer
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 18, 2012
            I'm not a moderator on this site, but I have been one for other yahoo groups in the past. I'm pretty sure you can change the settings so that you have to approve members in order for them to join. Also, I think you can delete the spam bots that have already joined.

            Sarah

            “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” -Albert Einstein

            I was wondering if any of the other moderators have noticed the frankly alarming number of new members that have joined this group lately? When I first became a moderator, I checked the box that enabled yahoo to send me notification whenever members joined or left the group. I have been receiving 20 to 50 new member notices a day for the last week. And all the names have similar form. I'm no expert, but I think we have a bot problem.

            Any ideas what we need to do next?

            pj

          • darth_eagle
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 19, 2012
              Am owner of 2 Groups and checking them, only the Group Owner can edit the Group's "Membership Type and Welcome Message" feature to "Restricted (you approve all requests for membership)"

              Fatimah

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 19, 2012
                It's been a while. My memory isn't perfect. What I mean to say is that someone, apparently the owner and not moderators, can do something about the spammers.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 24, 2012
                  Okay, I did some cleaning up, new members who registered between now & mid-April in batches, and notice that you should ignore the Front Page saying about the amount of New members past 7 days as it isn't accurate.

                  For now, will appreciate it if fellow Moderators will delete any suspicious new members whose Username/E-Mail is similar to that who registered just before them on the same day; noticed that this is one of the patterns seen among the possible Spambots, apart from their E-Mail Address have random alphabets and numbers.

                  Ps : If I accidentally deleted any "REAL" Members who're interested in HP Costuming, PLEASE do register again and at least say "Hi" on the ML so that we know you're not a Spambot among the numbers "New" members we gotten that day. Especially if your E-Mail/Y!Profile have random Alphabets or numbers

                  Fatimah