Greetings

  • cartridgepleats
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hello,
      I understand that this group is full of knowledge regarding the costuming for the Harry Potter Movies. While I have read the books & seen the movies I am certainly not knowledgeable with details. However I am a fairly good seamstress and my husbands cousin is wanting a student robe. Now I am pattern dependant which is my little joke when people want me to make something out of thin air. so I really need a basic pattern, I can make some alterations but prefer to stick mostly to the pattern as I am really not well informed about all the details. Also this robe is actually a surprise for this cousin, I am actually making it for her mother to give as a BD present. So unfortunatly we cannot ask her for the details she wants, and the Mom is not much more informed than I.
      So group I humbly beg your indulgence with a poor seamstress/cousin by marriage trying to do a good thing for the inlaw's family. <smile>
      I need a pattern that does not need to much tweeking please, Oh and can you tell me about the pocket inside the robe for the wand? Where is it and is it hidden in a seam or a patch pocket?
      Are there different robes for the different movies?
      Average guess at how many yards of fabric for a 21 year old say size 10 in the USA.
      Is the hood pointed? Do the sleeves bell? And do you think it is a good idea for them to be a bit shorter than wrist bone? Personally I hate anything around that part of my arm if I am doing work and well if I was going to pull out a wand and maybe have a sleeve get in my way I think I might want it shorter.
      Ok I shall post this and await your responses. I have 4 weeks to get this all together so any quick help would be even more appreciated.
      Wish me luck
      ML
    • BaiShengLi
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
        I would say, start here: http://www.dartheagle.com/poa_robe1.html%c2%a0this tutorial will answer a lot of your questions. You are going to have to modify a pattern, but they are easy modifications, and this walks you through. As far as fabric- don't buy what the pattern calls for, because you will need less. Make your modifications and then lay your robe out on the floor and figure for 45 or 60 width fabric, then go shopping. Good luck!

        Laura and Chachi proud parents of
        Alexander 7.14.02 http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/q/qilin/
        and Tristan 5.3.07 http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/q/qi2

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2011
          Hi! I have made a Slytherin robe and used 3 1/2 yards of Black Satin and 1/3 yard Dark Green. for the lining I consumed 3 yards of Geena silk.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2011
            Hi! I have made my own robe pattern. I will try to take a picture of my pattern and share it with you.