Where to start my research?

  • riddell_susan
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hi, I'm new to the group and I have a 2 HP costumes to make. The link to the website doesn't seem to be working. I was hoping to find advice on patterns and pattern alterations, plus suggested fabrics for a McGonalgall cloak plus a Bellatrix costume.

      Where would be the best place to start?
    • Käthe Barrows
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
        On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:04 PM, riddell_susan <riddell_susan@...> wrote:
        > Hi, I'm new to the group and I have a 2 HP costumes to make. The link to the website doesn't seem to be working. I was hoping to find advice on patterns and pattern alterations, plus suggested fabrics for a McGonalgall cloak plus a Bellatrix costume.
        >
        > Where would be the best place to start?

        Keep working on that website, and read every post that applies. Also
        go to the various Harry Potter websites, and places like IMDB.com and
        the other movie sites for screen shot images. And there are movie
        picture books out there.

        --
        Carolyn Kayta Barrows
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
          "riddell_susan" <riddell_susan@...> wrote:
          > Hi, I'm new to the group and I have a 2 HP costumes to make.

          Welcome to the group! ^_^

          > The link to the website doesn't seem to be working.

          Ya, I think the website had died since some time ago. >_<

          Even the "Base" website is missing when I try it out.

          > I was hoping to find advice on patterns and pattern alterations, plus
          > suggested fabrics for a McGonalgall cloak plus a Bellatrix costume.

          Which specific McGonagall costume are you interested in?

          Fatimah
        • kaithriona
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2009
            I have a tutorial on Prof McGonagall's costume from the first movie. I've also made her Yule Ball robe.

            If you comment here, http://public.fotki.com/kait/other_costuming/professor_mcgonagal/
            I'll send the tutorial. Comments on my fotki are viewable only by me, so you can put your email address.

            http://public.fotki.com/kait/other_costuming/professor_mcgonagal-1/

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2009
              Looks like my fist reply wasn't saved/sent.

              I've done both the Professor McGonagall costume from the first film and her Yule Ball robe.

              If you leave a comment here
              http://public.fotki.com/kait/other_costuming/professor_mcgonagal/
              I can send you my tutorial for this costume. Comments on my fotki are seen only by me so you can leave your email

              http://public.fotki.com/kait/other_costuming/professor_mcgonagal-1/

              The short answer on material for the robe from the 1st film is panne velvet if you want cheap fabric. It's really terrible on which to sew, though, and I will NEVER use it again. A better fabric would have been cotton velveteen. That is more expensive and even more yards are needed due to the nap.

              --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, "riddell_susan" <riddell_susan@...> wrote:

              > Hi, I'm new to the group and I have a 2 HP costumes to make. The link to the website doesn't seem to be working. I was hoping to find advice on patterns and pattern alterations, plus suggested fabrics for a McGonalgall cloak plus a Bellatrix costume.
              >
              > Where would be the best place to start?

            • Linda Parlier
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2009
                Which Bellatrix outfit are you making? If you are doing the black one with the leather scarred corset, I have made that dress for this year. Looking at pictures of the original, myself and a costume designer friend of mine determined that it was either a thin cotton or linnen. I have attached the images I found online plus one of the better publicity photos I found. If it is the other outfit from HBP, I haven't really seen any great photos of that yet to be of much help with that one.
                -Raven