Re: New guy making Snape costume

  • kevinallen2691
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2009
      I was looking at some patterns on the Simplicity site and saw this, and immedietly thought of what you had said about the fitting and the cut of Snapes robe and collar.
      http://www.simplicity.com/p-2235-costumes.aspx

      I hope this helps!

      --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, "treborsnikwad" <treborsnikwad@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I'm new to the group, but wanted to say how much I enjoy what you folks have done! The costumes are awesome! I'm creating my own Snape costume for Halloween this year (and future events), and I wanted to give a heads-up on how I'm doing my version. There doesn't seem to be a lot of tutorials to be found (besides Yvette's excellent one), so I`ll be using that, along with the photo inspiration of rynstowe and James Snapes costumes, and the work done by Lisa at www.severelyrightbrained.com/2009/05/07/severus-snape-costume/.
      >
      > To start, I know a lot of folks use the Butterick priest's cassock pattern for the basis of Snape's coat, but I found that the McCall's M4745 Men's Civil War coat pattern (version A) lends itself to the design better: it has the stand collar (which I will make higher), the smooth placket (I'll add the appropriate number of cloth-covered buttons), and most importantly, the horizontal waist seam, which the Butterick pattern does not have (I'll be making the tails and lower skirt longer). I'm still in the preliminary design stage, gathering hi-rez imagery, studying DVD snaps, and researching wool fabrics and colors. I'll create an album here as soon as I get something together worthy of posting!
      >
      > Rob

    • treborsnikwad
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2009
        That's great! It looks like the Neo outfit from The Matrix...that pattern might be altered to work; it's cheap enough to experiment with!
        Thanks for the link!
        Rob

        --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, "kevinallen2691" <kevinallen2691@...> wrote:

        > I was looking at some patterns on the Simplicity site and saw this, and immedietly thought of what you had said about the fitting and the cut of Snapes robe and collar.
        > http://www.simplicity.com/p-2235-costumes.aspx
        >
        > I hope this helps!
        >
        > --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, "treborsnikwad" <treborsnikwad@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > > I'm new to the group, but wanted to say how much I enjoy what you folks have done! The costumes are awesome! I'm creating my own Snape costume for Halloween this year (and future events), and I wanted to give a heads-up on how I'm doing my version. There doesn't seem to be a lot of tutorials to be found (besides Yvette's excellent one), so I`ll be using that, along with the photo inspiration of rynstowe and James Snapes costumes, and the work done by Lisa at www.severelyrightbrained.com/2009/05/07/severus-snape-costume/.
        > >
        > > To start, I know a lot of folks use the Butterick priest's cassock pattern for the basis of Snape's coat, but I found that the McCall's M4745 Men's Civil War coat pattern (version A) lends itself to the design better: it has the stand collar (which I will make higher), the smooth placket (I'll add the appropriate number of cloth-covered buttons), and most importantly, the horizontal waist seam, which the Butterick pattern does not have (I'll be making the tails and lower skirt longer). I'm still in the preliminary design stage, gathering hi-rez imagery, studying DVD snaps, and researching wool fabrics and colors. I'll create an album here as soon as I get something together worthy of posting!
        > >
        > > Rob

      • everly_dawn
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2009
          That's funny that you mention that pattern because that's what I did a year or so back when I made a Snape costume! I sew but I'm not good enough to make something completely from scratch that is so complex. I am humbled by the rest of you who make such amazing costumes.

          But anyway, I took a "Neo from the Matrix" costume and altered it a bit to make it more snapelike. I've added fake pocket flaps, made the neck higher and hemmed the bottom to just below my knees. Right now I'm working on pleating the back a little and making a robe. I've taken my old masters robe apart and am using the yolk to start with, I'm having trouble with the sleves though because I don't have a pattern. I will be doing Snape again this year because one of my friends is having a Harry Potter party and requested that I be Snape. LOL

          I'll post pictures if you all would like, though I do realise I really am too fat to be a very good Snape!

          Eve

          --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, "treborsnikwad" <treborsnikwad@...> wrote:

          > That's great! It looks like the Neo outfit from The Matrix...that pattern might be altered to work; it's cheap enough to experiment with!
          > Thanks for the link!
          > Rob
          >
          > --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, "kevinallen2691" <kevinallen2691@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I was looking at some patterns on the Simplicity site and saw this, and immedietly thought of what you had said about the fitting and the cut of Snapes robe and collar.
          > > http://www.simplicity.com/p-2235-costumes.aspx
          > >
          > > I hope this helps!
          > >
          > > --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, "treborsnikwad" <treborsnikwad@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello,
          > > > I'm new to the group, but wanted to say how much I enjoy what you folks have done! The costumes are awesome! I'm creating my own Snape costume for Halloween this year (and future events), and I wanted to give a heads-up on how I'm doing my version. There doesn't seem to be a lot of tutorials to be found (besides Yvette's excellent one), so I`ll be using that, along with the photo inspiration of rynstowe and James Snapes costumes, and the work done by Lisa at www.severelyrightbrained.com/2009/05/07/severus-snape-costume/.
          > > >
          > > > To start, I know a lot of folks use the Butterick priest's cassock pattern for the basis of Snape's coat, but I found that the McCall's M4745 Men's Civil War coat pattern (version A) lends itself to the design better: it has the stand collar (which I will make higher), the smooth placket (I'll add the appropriate number of cloth-covered buttons), and most importantly, the horizontal waist seam, which the Butterick pattern does not have (I'll be making the tails and lower skirt longer). I'm still in the preliminary design stage, gathering hi-rez imagery, studying DVD snaps, and researching wool fabrics and colors. I'll create an album here as soon as I get something together worthy of posting!
          > > >
          > > > Rob

        • treborsnikwad
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2009
            That would be cool to see pics of your costume! To me, 'being' Snape is more an attitude, than a look...I don't resemble him much either, but I'm going to dress and act like him anyway!