Re: Robe pattern help to a newbie

  • jovian_finland
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2009
      Hi again,

      Thanks for the welcome! :)

      --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, "darth_eagle" <darth_eagle@...> wrote:
      > "jovian_finland" <BonJovi@> wrote:
      > > I've been doing some surfing and noticed that both McCall's and
      > > Simplicity have discontinued the robe patterns that are recommended on
      > > most HP costuming sites, namely McCall's 3663 and Simplicity 5840.
      >
      > Hmmmm.....Simplicity Website still listed 5840 as available.
      > http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?all=Y&cat=4&type=19&sec=39&browTypeId=&startrow=1

      So it seems. Strange, I was googling the patterns and somehow got the idea that the Simplicity pattern WASN'T available anymore... Oh well, all the better. :)

      Actually, I managed to find an online store (MOMSPatterns) that claimed to sell the discontinued McCall's 3663 pattern. Since the pattern and the postage were not more than some 12 euros altogether, I took a plunge and bought the pattern (paid via Paypal, didn't dare to enter my credit card info directly to the site). We'll see if it actually turns up at some point. However, it might not be a bad idea to order the Simplicity pattern as well, especially if it can be ordered directly from Simplicity's own site.

      (Can you tell I don't have all that much experience in web-shopping? So far I've only used traditionally reputable sites such as Play.Com, Amazon and the like, so I'm a bit sceptic about ordering something from a random online shop I happen to find via Google.)

      > > one used on this site: http://www.dartheagle.com/poa_robe1.html
      >
      > Well, the basis is to get a simple Robe pattern that is best without Yoke and too much gathering especially around the sleeves.

      Umm, sorry to sound a bit daft, but what exactly is a Yoke? Is it some sort of a collar or something? The dictionary meanings are a bit ambiguous.. Anyway, this Yoke is something to be avoided, right? The POA style robes have a hood but no separate collar, as far as I can see.

      The above-mentioned POA Robe site (yours, darth_eagle?) has pretty good instructions, but there, too, are some words I need to go through with a dictionary, to get a proper picture of what needs to be done. I'm not all that well versed in sewing terminology in Finnish, let alone in English :)

      > So far, I think Simplicity 9887 - Style B might do the job like Simplicity 5840 did tho' with more modifications.
      > Just cut the yoke pieces on the front with the body part as 1.
      > The sleeves will need some heavy modifying but since I haven't used this pattern since 2003 (for my Ringwraith and the pattern is buried somewhere among my stuffs), I can't remember off my head its original shape so how to modify it.

      Ok.. So ignore the Yoke and modify the sleeves and the hood according to the reference photos and instructions on for example that POA Robe site?

      Also, do you or does anyone know what is the best place to get authentic (officially licenced) movie replica Gryffindor and Hogwarts patches? Ebay seems to have quite a few of them but if there's a reputable webstore somewhere that sells them, I'd prefer that to Ebay.

      > Will see if I can find the time to dig out the intructions sheet for McCall's 3663 and scan the pattern pieces which one might be able to use to draft a full-size pattern.

      That would be great, in case the pattern I just ordered gets lost in the mail or something.

      Br,
      Anu
    • Linda
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2009
        Hi!

        According to the Simplicity website, no 5840 is still in print. It is on the bottom right of the page linked below.

        <http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=4&type=19&sec=39&startrow=1>

        And we all know that yahoo doesn't like links very well, so if it doesn't work just type it into the address bar.

        And most of the time you can order the out of print patterns from the McCall's and Simplicity websites. However the McCall's number you mentioned is nowhere to be found on their website.

        I hope this helps.

        Raven
      • James Hinsey
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2009
          I just found this website
          http://www.patternsoftime.com/
          that has many kinds of patterns for historical costumes.? Robes and many other clothing are related to middle-age or victorian era clothing styles.

          James