Re: [MadameMalkins] Re: Madam Rosmerta Costume Ideas

  • Naresha
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2008
      Sally Grist <sally.grist@...> wrote: --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, Naresha
      <north_shore_fruitcake@...> wrote:

      > If it was me... I'd make her a bit more colourful. Maybe stick
      with they layered look and curls like she has there, but do something
      similar with a glitzier fabric? Maybe something like a printed satin
      or a brocade? What about a layered skirt? Maybe some ruffles or
      something like a flamenco skirt? :P (Never ask me for ideas late at
      night... I come up with some doozies!)

      Sally says:
      > Definitely sticking with the blonde curls as that's pretty similar to
      > my hair anyway and I've been desperately trying to grow it for years
      > so now it's long it's an excuse to show it off! I love your idea of
      > the printed brocade, sounds nice and old fashioned and strikes me as
      > being a bit luxurious but without being too upmarket for a landlady.
      > And frills, yes, perhaps some lace peeping out from under her long
      > skirt?

      Congrats on growing the hair out! That's always such a tiresome task! I've done it a few times myself! :P
      I can see Rosmerta with goldy/earthy colours - I've seen some lovely golden/coppery brocades out there - and they'd go nicely with blonde curls! Unless you're a blonde like me who is into silver! :P Lace underneath would be nice too! Show off some boots or your legs or something depending on the style of skirt. She seems to me a little bit like there's a bit of the modern gypsie in her look - lots of layers and loose hair etc. She also strikes me as the sort of woman who'd relish the opportunity to dress up and really go all out if she was given it - like a birthday party! - so you could really go all out for her!

      > Also I've got a really nice wide elasticated 'waspie' belt with big
      > eyelets down the front that I thought might work well for Rosmerta.
      > Sort of back to the serving wench look again, but mixing it with the
      > brocade could give it a new twist. Not to mention that it gives you a
      > fabulously tiny looking waist, just the thing for maximising those
      > Rosmerta curves!

      Go the waspie belt! I can definately see Rosmerta in something like that! And it does FABULOUS things for the curves! ;) You could always toss a corset/bustier into the mix, but that might be a bit uncomfortable/hard to work in if you're the one doing the hard slog of organising and serving food - hope someone volunteers to do it for you given it's your birthday!!!

      > Something I thought of for maybe making her a bit "witchier"
      without having to have a hat on all night... What about making a
      fascinator with some long feathers? Fascinator's being the feathery,
      clip in hair things that are some times worn by ladies' to the races
      in lieu of a hat. If you had some long feathers like what's some
      times seen in witch hats, it could work, but you wouldn't have a hat
      falling off or flattening your hair...

      Sally says:
      Yep, a fascinator could be a good compromise, a hat would definitely
      get in the way a bit and I really don't want the dreaded 'hat hair'
      on my birthday! The first thing that came to mind when you said that
      though was can-can girls with the big feather headresses, so I don't
      want to go too far down that route otherwise I might be mistaken for
      the cabaret! Definitely worth thinking about a bit more though.
      HAHAHA! No... Definately DON'T want to be mistaken for a can-can girl LOL! Although I can see Rosmerta maybe having done her fair share of leg shaking in her heyday! ;P I was thinking more along the lines of something a BIT smaller and easier to support! I was actually thinking of McGonagal's feather in her hat when I suggested that!

      Recent Activity

      10
      New Members

      1
      New Photos

      Visit Your Group
      Star Wars on Y!
      Discover new content
      Connect with other
      fans & upload video.

      Yahoo! Search
      Start Searching
      Find everything
      you're looking for.

      Improvement Zone
      on Yahoo! Groups
      Find support & keep
      New Year's goals.

      .

    • Sally Grist
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2008
        --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, Naresha
        <north_shore_fruitcake@...> wrote:

        > I can see Rosmerta with goldy/earthy colours - I've seen some
        lovely golden/coppery brocades out there - and they'd go nicely with
        blonde curls! Unless you're a blonde like me who is into silver! :P
        Lace underneath would be nice too! Show off some boots or your legs
        or something depending on the style of skirt. She seems to me a
        little bit like there's a bit of the modern gypsie in her look - lots
        of layers and loose hair etc. She also strikes me as the sort of
        woman who'd relish the opportunity to dress up and really go all out
        if she was given it - like a birthday party! - so you could really go
        all out for her!
        > Sally says:
        Naresha I think you've just hit the nail on the head there, it's
        DEFINITELY the gypsy aspect of Rosmerta that appeals to me, even if I
        hadn't realised that's what it was! So thanks for flagging that one,
        that gives me a real focus now on the exact look I'm going for! Bring
        on those romantic curls, sexy necklines, lace, corsets and go Gypsy
        Rosmerta!!!
        I also love your ideas for colour scheme, golden/coppery brocades
        sound beautiful, very earthy and practical for tending a bar but also
        very flattering to wear. Not sure the turquoise spangly sandals would
        work though. Although I must confess, whereas I like the *idea* of
        Rosmerta wearing something a bit glitzy, I probably wouldn't have
        chosen turquoise as her colour, or at least not in my adaptation of
        Rosmerta anyway. So maybe if I don't get so hung up on having to work
        turquoise sandals into the equation it'll open up a lot more scope for
        throwing in my own interpretation instead. Sparkly silver or gold high
        heels of some description would probably get the same message across
        don't you think? (Hmmm, turns to Ebay to start searching for such
        oddities as "spangly gypsy boots"...)

        > Sally says:
        > Yep, a fascinator could be a good compromise, a hat would definitely
        > get in the way a bit and I really don't want the dreaded 'hat hair'
        > on my birthday! The first thing that came to mind when you said that
        > though was can-can girls with the big feather headresses, so I don't
        > want to go too far down that route otherwise I might be mistaken for
        > the cabaret! Definitely worth thinking about a bit more though.

        HAHAHA! No... Definately DON'T want to be mistaken for a can-can girl
        LOL! Although I can see Rosmerta maybe having done her fair share of
        leg shaking in her heyday! ;P I was thinking more along the lines of
        something a BIT smaller and easier to support! I was actually
        thinking of McGonagal's feather in her hat when I suggested that!

        Sally says:
        Yep, I BET Rosmerta has done her fair share of leg shaking, much like
        meself, I think that's what appeals to me about her!
        I like your idea of feathers but the more I think about it, the more I
        think I might just say hang the impracticability (is that a word? You
        know what I mean...) and just go all out for a hat. After all, I've
        been looking forward to this party for about five years, and I really
        want to maximise the 'witchie' aspect of it all. Perhaps I can
        manufacture something that I can take off and wear draped around my
        shoulders like a hood when I don't want it to get in the way. Of
        course, with 11 months still to go before the big event I might well
        change my mind...
        Thanks for all your ideas though folks, you're all being HUGELY
        inspirational!
        Sally x
        Hufflepuff Through and Through
      • Naresha
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 9, 2008
          Sally Grist <sally.grist@...> wrote: > Sally says:
          > Naresha I think you've just hit the nail on the head there, it's
          > DEFINITELY the gypsy aspect of Rosmerta that appeals to me, even if I
          > hadn't realised that's what it was! So thanks for flagging that one,
          > that gives me a real focus now on the exact look I'm going for! Bring
          > on those romantic curls, sexy necklines, lace, corsets and go Gypsy
          >Rosmerta!!!

          Yay me! :D You're welcome! Glad to give you a starting point!
          > I also love your ideas for colour scheme, golden/coppery brocades
          > sound beautiful, very earthy and practical for tending a bar but also
          > very flattering to wear. Not sure the turquoise spangly sandals would
          > work though. Although I must confess, whereas I like the *idea* of
          > Rosmerta wearing something a bit glitzy, I probably wouldn't have
          > chosen turquoise as her colour, or at least not in my adaptation of
          > Rosmerta anyway.

          It depends on what you like wearing better - gold or silver. I've seen turquoise (or pretend turquoise) on goldy/pewter coloured sandals over the years, but if you've got another colour you like better, I say go for that! Much better to have a colour scheme that's very YOU as opposed to 110% book perfect. I'm sure Rosmerta had more than one pair of shoes! She seems like she'd have a pair for every outfit. :)

          > So maybe if I don't get so hung up on having to work
          > turquoise sandals into the equation it'll open up a lot more scope for
          > throwing in my own interpretation instead. Sparkly silver or gold high
          > heels of some description would probably get the same message across
          > don't you think? (Hmmm, turns to Ebay to start searching for such
          > oddities as "spangly gypsy boots"...)

          Spangly gypsy boots would be a good one! You can always spangle them up yourself if all else fails! Bit of glitter or fabric paint or some beaded trim or the odd fake crystal... Bit of all! :) Sparkly/mettalic shoes seem to be a big thing at the moment, so you should probably be able to find yourself a pair pretty easily.

          >Yep, I BET Rosmerta has done her fair share of leg shaking, much like
          > meself, I think that's what appeals to me about her!
          > I like your idea of feathers but the more I think about it, the more I
          > think I might just say hang the impracticability (is that a word? You
          > know what I mean...) and just go all out for a hat. After all, I've
          > been looking forward to this party for about five years, and I really
          > want to maximise the 'witchie' aspect of it all. Perhaps I can
          > manufacture something that I can take off and wear draped around my
          > shoulders like a hood when I don't want it to get in the way. Of
          > course, with 11 months still to go before the big event I might well
          > change my mind...

          Well then I say go the hat! :D If you've got the time, and you've been looking forward to it so much, say 'to hell with it' and go for the hat! :) It can always be taken off through the evening if it gets too much! And you've got the time, so you can play around with adapting one that doesn't give you the dreaded hat hair!

          Recent Activity

          11
          New Members

          Visit Your Group