Re: hi! need help w/ school uniform

  • Joel
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2007
      I don't know about the skirts but I bought my tie and scarf from
      Alivans and they are absolutley beeautiful Perfect red and not a
      single tinge of purpleish anywhere! BUT, I think wizardties are
      cheaper by a couple of dollars for ties - I just got mine from
      Alivans cos I'm in Australia and I got the two posted at once which
      was much cheaper :)
      And the jumper (sweater I guess) that I got is a dark grey one that I
      bought on sale at a men's suit store for around $25 AUS so I'm really
      happy with it! Good luck!
      ~Joel

      --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, "kgleine" <kgleine@...> wrote:

      > hi! im new to the board, happen to stumble across it really ..
      great place.

      > i am making robes for my husband and me, that is going fine... i
      altered a few simplicity
      > patterns and redrafted a few of the pieces and its going great...
      they're almost done in truth

      > what i dont know is where to find the rest of the uniform for me.
      there are no patterns i can
      > find that will work. and real school uniform skirts are too
      pleated. also, is the sweater black
      > or grey? all of the pictures i find look black, but all early
      movies are grey. so my question is,
      > if you made it, how did you make it, and if you bought it, where
      did you buy it?

      > also, is everyone else out there only finding very purple burgandy
      ties??? i have ordered a 1/2
      > dozen and returned my overly purple ties. the last ones i got
      yesterday are "official licensed
      > product" and to me they look purple, but in sunlight they have a
      *slight* red tint.

    • darth_eagle
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
        "kgleine" <kgleine@...> wrote:
        > also, is the sweater black
        > or grey? all of the pictures i find look black, but all early
        movies are grey. so my question is,
        > if you made it, how did you make it, and if you bought it, where
        did you buy it?

        PoA/GoF/OotP ones are *Dark* Charcoal Grey.

        It's a Grey color that is only a few shade lighter than real Black,
        hence look Black in some photos.

        SS/CoS ones are Dark Grey or Grey.
        Before I gotten my Whimsic Alley and Wizardknits Sweater, I found
        one at a local Winter Wear store and it was labelled as Dark Grey.
        When I compared it to a SS Fabric Swatch I got later, it turned out
        very, very close in color.

        > also, is everyone else out there only finding very purple burgandy
        ties??? i have ordered a 1/2
        > dozen and returned my overly purple ties. the last ones i got
        yesterday are "official licensed
        > product" and to me they look purple, but in sunlight they have a
        *slight* red tint.

        They are probably the Rubies Tie. Cheaper but due to being a
        Halloween Quality item, isn't accurate.

        A better Official item will be the Elope one which has the House
        Patch printed at the bottom of the tie. But it tend to run more
        expansive, tho' still near the pricetag of Fan-Made Brands like
        Wizardties.Com or Alivan's or Lituus.

        For me, I swear by Wizardties.Com ones and had been very happy with
        it, especially that it's made from Silk and the seller is this
        Group's member. -__^

        Fatimah
      • donteathemonkey
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2007
          I bought my sweater from Ross's. I had my eye out for awhile for a V
          neck, fairly nice quality tight nit look, with a Dark Grey color. If
          in doubt dark is the way to go, but none of them are black in the
          movies. Luckily I found mine. It just took patience and some shopping
          around.

          As for the ties. I absolutely swear by Wizardties. Not only are they
          made with superb quality they come in brown packing with a hand
          written note of thanks. Really thought that was neat. And they are
          the red color the Gryffindor ties should be. Where others have a
          purple tint.

          Scarves. Now everywhere I looked the length was not as long as in the
          movies. So I bought two from Alivans and had a local seamstress put
          them together :D.

          Wand. I myelf prefer the ones from the Noble Collection, my Snape
          wand is slick.

          As for the patch, patchpalace can be found on ebay. Get the one you
          like the most. I got the Di-Cast one myself.

          Robes. This is the hardest part I think. I finally found a gal in
          Oklahoma that made the most wonderful robe I really feel I walked off
          the set. It even has a wand pocket! It was pricey though. $165, but
          its custom to me and fits and feels wonderful. If you search for
          enchanted wardrobe you can find the link for her email there, to get
          an order form.

          Prefect Pin, I got mine on ebay.

          Hope this helped :D.