LUNA COUSTUME

  • gracieburns92
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2007
      I'm a 14 yr old and my friends and I are drssing up for the DH & OOTP
      premieres. Any ideas for my luna coustume? I can't find any AFORDABLE
      house sweaters? I also need a skirt. I've been checking goodwill.Any
      other ideas?
    • Zelda Zunk
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        Thrift shops are always a good place to start. You can try the fabric
        dye pens to add your house colors. Ask all of your friends and family
        to help in your costume search. Or you can go with one of Luna's off
        campus outfits:

        http://www.harrymedia.com/img/details.php?image_id=24686

        Zelda Zunk
        Corsets & Capes

        --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, "gracieburns92"
        <gracieburns92@...> wrote:

        > I'm a 14 yr old and my friends and I are drssing up for the DH &
        OOTP
        > premieres. Any ideas for my luna coustume? I can't find any
        AFORDABLE
        > house sweaters? I also need a skirt. I've been checking goodwill.Any
        > other ideas?

      • Robin van Steenbergen
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2007
          Zelda Zunk schreef:
          > Thrift shops are always a good place to start. You can try the fabric
          > dye pens to add your house colors. Ask all of your friends and family
          > to help in your costume search. Or you can go with one of Luna's off
          > campus outfits:
          >
          > http://www.harrymedia.com/img/details.php?image_id=24686
          >
          > Zelda Zunk
          > Corsets & Capes

          The house sweater is often the biggest issue, there are stores which
          sell the house sweaters over the Internet, but they're pretty expensive.
          The robe isn't that difficult, there are a lot of good robe patterns
          available online (check out the Jedi robe patterns, for example). For
          the sweaters it's possible to improvise, get a gray sweater at a store
          that sells school uniforms and stitch on the house color bands. Of
          course, you can cheat a little and get a simple gray V-necked sweater
          (which actually looks pretty good), which will probably be more than
          adequate if you're not planning to do costume competitions. Just get the
          overall "first glance" look right and you'll probably be okay. There are
          a lot of photo reports from conventions that have a lot of good
          reference photos.

          Final tip: Try to stay away from the official Warner Bros merchandise.
          For a Halloween costume it's probably fine, but the overall look is far
          less stylish. The original robes are made from wool, which is very heavy
          and makes the robe fall down beautifully. A lighter fabric like cotton
          will make it billow more, and has a different texture.

          For my OOTP premiere outfit (and possibly the Book 7 release as well),
          I'm going for a more "adult" look, more fitting to a senior Hogwart's
          student. So it may not be 100% entirely accurate, but more suitable to
          my character (as I'm 23 it's not very appropriate to try and wear an
          outfit of a 16-year-old)
        • Jennifer
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2007
            The Whimsic Alley has sweaters that don't cost an arm and a leg. I
            think they're on sell now.

          • ladypriv@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2007
              Goodwill is a good start. I would also check your local consignment shops, too. Sometimes you can find some really good deals.
              Good luck in your search!

              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2007
                Robin van Steenbergen <stoney3k@...> wrote:
                > The house sweater is often the biggest issue, there are stores
                which
                > sell the house sweaters over the Internet, but they're pretty
                expensive.

                Well, I have to agree with this, even for the Whimsic Alley Sweaters
                at its normal price of USD34.99. Some still can't afford this,
                especially if they have RL things to pay for or HP Costume is
                just "one-of-my-many-other-costumes" to be worn this year and on
                a "student" budget.

                It was my luck that I managed to get my Gryffindor and Ravenclaw
                Sweater at USD17.50 during their Post-Halloween Party, but for some
                of my friends, this is still a high price after adding in the cost
                of Shipping. And the only reason why I can afford the Wizardknits
                Sweater is because I had been saving for it and see a need to spend
                more as my Slytherin Costume is something I wear often, just like my
                TIE Fighter Pilot Armor (and in Costuming, we CAN wear the same old
                costume again and again and again as long as it still look good :-P )

                > The robe isn't that difficult, there are a lot of good robe
                patterns
                > available online (check out the Jedi robe patterns, for example).

                For the Fabric, you can also look in the Remnant Bin for Cotton-like
                cloths tho' make sure it's not too thin.

                Cotton Drill, tho' a bit stiff, can make a good Robe (maybe just
                wash it a few times in cold water to soften it) and you can always
                lined it with Poplin.

                > For the sweaters it's possible to improvise, get a gray sweater at
                a store
                > that sells school uniforms and stitch on the house color bands. Of
                > course, you can cheat a little and get a simple gray V-necked
                sweater
                > (which actually looks pretty good), which will probably be more
                than
                > adequate if you're not planning to do costume competitions.

                Oh! Don't forget that for Luna, you got THREE Choices:
                - Sweater
                - Ladies' Cardigan
                - Vest

                May I also recommend a V-Collar Long Sleeves OR Sleveless Dark
                Charcoal Grey T-Shirt? This is what some of us in Singapore did back
                in 2003 when Funds are low. -__^

                Good luck! ^__^

                Fatimah
              • Steph
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                  I bought my skirt online from French Toast. It was $14-ish with
                  shipping.

                  http://frenchtoast.com/jump.jsp?itemID=332&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%
                  2C9%2C76%2C288%2C294&iProductID=332

                  If the link does not work, it is on www.frenchtoast.com. Click on
                  clearance, then either juniors or girls (they have it in both sizes),
                  then on Skirts. It is the pleated four season wrap skirt in charcoal.

                  Hope this helps!
                  Steph

                  --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, <ladypriv@...> wrote:

                  > Goodwill is a good start. I would also check your local consignment
                  shops, too. Sometimes you can find some really good deals.
                  > Good luck in your search!
                  > From: "gracieburns92" <gracieburns92@...>
                  > Date: 2007/04/30 Mon PM 08:26:16 EST
                  > To: MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [MadameMalkins] LUNA COUSTUME
                  >
                  > I'm a 14 yr old and my friends and I are drssing up for the DH & OOTP
                  > premieres. Any ideas for my luna coustume? I can't find any AFORDABLE
                  > house sweaters? I also need a skirt. I've been checking goodwill.Any
                  > other ideas?

                • Celeste
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                    Here are a couple of ideas that might help. Mind you, these are not
                    totally authentic. They are, however, a good place to start and more
                    affordable than many options.

                    A pretty good skirt that starts at just $16 (granted, they are
                    similar to movie 1 rather than subsequent movies...):
                    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?
                    BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=CLTH&pid=077A0027000&cat=School+Uniforms&s
                    ubcat=Girls

                    Type in "gray v-neck sweater" or "charcoal v-neck sweater" into ebay,
                    and you'll get lots of hits, many for under $10.

                    I hope this helps,
                    Celeste