Am I obsessed, or am I obsessed?

  • wanna_be_brit_eggman
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2005
      Ok... I just wanted to ask an odd and embarrassing question. Is
      anyone else here OBSESSED with getting every minute DETAIL in on
      cosplay. I don't just mean putting on the costume. But smelling like
      you character? ::Blushes:: Scent is one of the most powerful things. I
      will be going as Draco for the Premiere of GoF and will be wearing
      expensive and vrry manly cologne. And for the second day I will be
      going as Uncle Snape (Don't ask don't ask don't ask) and the one thing
      eveyrone seems to agree on with him is that he smells like sandalwood.
      In most of the fics I have read there is the mention of sandalwood.

      Also, music. Are there any bands that are completely unrealted to
      HP that remind you of HP? Mine is David Bowie's album "Hours".
    • Twisted Lemon
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
        Actually I think the whole scent thing is a wonderful idea! And Sandalwood seems apropriate for a potions master somehow. . .

        But yeah I know how you feel with the whole cosplay thing - but I'm a bit more into it as far as the look goes. If I don't fit the body type or the look of a character I don't cosplay as it. Instead I just make the costume and have one of my friends wear it or something. I'm all about being correct on the characters appearance including eye color, skin tone, and body type. I'm getting so sick of going to conventions and seeing people in costumes that they really shouldn't be in. I mean honestly it gets so GROSS sometimes! And if you are going to go as something in a bit of a skimpy outfit - fine, but modify the oufit to a beliveable extent- like making the skirt a little longer - people will still know who you are, and half the time they dont even notice that the skirt may be a little long. Of course this also depends on wether your a contest costumer, and generally judges like it if you're accurate to the finiest little detail; that's when friends are made to model the costumes.

        And the music? Hmm. Honestly I've always considered Maroon 5's song "Control Myself", Harry's anthem. But then again that's just a song. . .not an album.

        TL~

        wanna_be_brit_eggman <wanna_be_brit_eggman@...> wrote:
        Ok... I just wanted to ask an odd and embarrassing question. Is
        anyone else here OBSESSED with getting every minute DETAIL in on
        cosplay. I don't just mean putting on the costume. But smelling like
        you character? ::Blushes:: Scent is one of the most powerful things. I
        will be going as Draco for the Premiere of GoF and will be wearing
        expensive and vrry manly cologne. And for the second day I will be
        going as Uncle Snape (Don't ask don't ask don't ask) and the one thing
        eveyrone seems to agree on with him is that he smells like sandalwood.
        In most of the fics I have read there is the mention of sandalwood.

        Also, music. Are there any bands that are completely unrealted to
        HP that remind you of HP? Mine is David Bowie's album "Hours".

      • Carolyn Kayta Barrows
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
          >I'm all about being correct on the characters appearance including eye
          >color, skin tone, and body type. I'm getting so sick of going to
          >conventions and seeing people in costumes that they really shouldn't be
          >in. I mean honestly it gets so GROSS sometimes!

          Well, ya gotta let 'em do it. I mean, here we sit with crushes on movie
          stars from other countries, because of their acting roles; the least we can
          do is recognize the same thing in others in what they're wearing. I too am
          grossed out by some of this sort of thing, but then I remember some of the
          things going on safely hidden inside my own head, and I look someplace else
          instead of at the offending costumes. As in, of we get to do what we do
          then they get to do what they do.

          CarolynKayta Barrows
          dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com

          //// \\\
          ////-@@\\\
          (((( 7 )))
          ((( <> ))))
          ) ((((((
          /----\ /---\))
        • wanna_be_brit_eggman
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
            I know it's tacky to reply to my own post, but I went as the Phantom
            for Anime Weekend Atlanta and got completely into character. Music,
            garb, I even wore shoes that were two sizes too small to make my gait
            more delicate. (w00t Michael Crawford!) Needless to say I was accosted
            by scantily clad girls all day... ::Sighs:: I WANNA GO BAAACK!

            I'm hoping I'll find some people of the female species who are
            Snape-fans, when I go to HP: GoF.
          • donata fischer
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
              Good said Carolyn!!!
              I know this guy*s like Twisted Lemon from the RingCon
              in Germany. No offending to Lemon, i can understund
              her opinion. It looks sometimes really funny if u see
              a woman or girl which has not the body form of an
              Arwen or Galadriel but that of an Hobbit wearing
              Elbian or Elvish clothes. Me too has not the Elvish
              body form or Hair or Skintone so i go as a Human*ggg*,
              when i then go.... So if i see some misplaced
              costumed-ppls i do the same as Carolyn, but most ppls
              on conventions do overreact about this and give the
              uncorrect or unhappy - or whatever you may call it
              -clothed ppls nasty looks and bad words and this is a
              poor sign for the fandom, but this is only my personal
              opinion about this. At first i think Con*s should be
              here to make fun and give you and your friends a happy
              time with your favourite actors or idols. I think this
              was the background and base of all the Conventions and
              not only the Costumes.

              Just my 2cents :)
              Greetings Esi
              --- Carolyn Kayta Barrows <Kayta@...>
              schrieb:

              ---------------------------------

              >I'm all about being correct on the characters
              appearance including eye
              >color, skin tone, and body type. I'm getting so sick
              of going to
              >conventions and seeing people in costumes that they
              really shouldn't be
              >in. I mean honestly it gets so GROSS sometimes!

              Well, ya gotta let 'em do it. I mean, here we sit
              with crushes on movie
              stars from other countries, because of their acting
              roles; the least we can
              do is recognize the same thing in others in what
              they're wearing. I too am
              grossed out by some of this sort of thing, but then I
              remember some of the
              things going on safely hidden inside my own head, and
              I look someplace else
              instead of at the offending costumes. As in, of we
              get to do what we do
              then they get to do what they do.

              CarolynKayta Barrows
              dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
              www.FunStuft.com

              //// \\\
              ////-@@\\\
              (((( 7 )))
              ((( <> ))))
              ) ((((((
              /----\ /---\))

              Terms of Service.

              ---------------------------------

            • Margaret
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
                Dear Wanna-Be:
                I think that attention to detail is fine. But on behalf of the folks
                out here who are HIGHLY ALLERGIC TO ALL PERFUMES, and will have to
                run from the room if you waft in on a cloud of scent, please take it
                easy. Do not drown yourself in the stuff. ONE tiny drop at the base
                of your neck in front will last all day and night, and provide an
                intimate sniff only to those you wish to be close to.

                BTW, for Everybody: NEVER spray on scent, either. It gets on your
                clothes/costume and ruins the fabric. We are talking here about
                CHEMICALS used either as fixatives to "hold" the scent, or chemicals
                used to propel the scent. Any way you look at it, dangerous to your
                nose, the air, and your clothing. Thank god that Snape's sandalwood
                is actually an essential oil - do the tiny drop thing. Your body's
                warmth will disperse the fragrance for hours and hours.

                Slightly OT, but we put a lot of time, $$, and effort into costumes -
                let's keep them and our health safe, too.

                Margaret

                --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, "wanna_be_brit_eggman"
                <wanna_be_brit_eggman@y...> wrote:

                > Ok... I just wanted to ask an odd and embarrassing question. Is
                > anyone else here OBSESSED with getting every minute DETAIL in on
                > cosplay. I don't just mean putting on the costume. But smelling
                like
                > you character? ::Blushes:: Scent is one of the most powerful
                things. I
                > will be going as Draco for the Premiere of GoF and will be wearing
                > expensive and vrry manly cologne. And for the second day I will be
                > going as Uncle Snape (Don't ask don't ask don't ask) and the one
                thing
                > eveyrone seems to agree on with him is that he smells like
                sandalwood.
                > In most of the fics I have read there is the mention of sandalwood.
              • Eli Geist
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
                  Come to think of it, this is an interesting idea... does anyone have any thoughts for an essential oil that'd be more of Harry or Hermione's scent? I've never used essential oils before, but now's probably a good time to start!

                  -Elisabeth

                • donata fischer
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
                    Hi Eli,
                    for Hermoine i think something with roses and jasmin
                    and vanilla may be good or oranges and coconut and
                    peach. Some light-fruity smell. Apple may be good too
                    or lemon with Sandalwood. But not Patchouli or
                    something like that cause i think this is to
                    heavy-smelling for Hermine.

                    Greetings Esi
                    --- Eli Geist <my_junk_my_way@...> schrieb:

                    ---------------------------------

                    Come to think of it, this is an interesting idea...
                    does anyone have any thoughts for an essential oil
                    that'd be more of Harry or Hermione's scent? I've
                    never used essential oils before, but now's probably a
                    good time to start!

                    -Elisabeth

                    Harry
                    potter book Madame

                    Terms of Service.

                  • Twisted Lemon
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
                      I've always pictured Harry's scent kind of smelling boyish. . .like. . .fresh soil or something - then again that might actually be more so Neville's smell come to think of it. . . .I don't think the smell would be sharp or debonair for Harry. Maybe a little bit like leather? He's always wearing that quidditch gear and sweating in the leather arm things and stuff. . .maybe he kind smells like leather. or perhaps he kinda smells like. . .musky? I dunno maybe this isn't helping.

                      As for Hermione, one might say she smells like a library - I agree.

                      Here's some links I found on aromatherapy and Essencial Oils, maybe it'll give you ideas.

                      http://www.aromaweb.com/
                      http://www.essentialoil.com/

                      TL~