Re: Hi and Newbie Questions

  • Kristi
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 30, 2005
      Thank you so very much Aurora.

      I have been going mad trying to find decent patterns to start with.
      those look really great.

      thank you!

      Kristi
    • Kristi
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        --- In MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn Kayta Barrows
        <Kayta@F...> wrote:

        > >maybe I am just inept when it come to pattern searching. :)
        >
        > Why is it that when people cannot find the pattern that doesn't
        exist, they think they're inept or something?

        I know there is no exact pattern for either Snape's coat or Robe.
        I always know there is a lot of trail and error in this kind of
        recreation.

        I had already been looking for cassock and choir robe patterns.
        I even searched for graduation gown patterns. I just wasn't having
        any luck finding them. that is why I asked. I'm sorry for the
        confusion.

        thank you for the fabric suggestion.

        Kristi
      • Carolyn Kayta Barrows
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
          >I know there is no exact pattern for either Snape's coat or Robe.
          >I always know there is a lot of trail and error in this kind of
          >recreation.

          It took me longer to figure out the pattern for my Snape-like robe than it
          did to sew it.

          >I had already been looking for cassock and choir robe patterns.
          >I even searched for graduation gown patterns. I just wasn't having
          >any luck finding them.

          Around Halloween there seem to be a lot of graduation gowns in thrift
          stores in the costume section. You could find a likely-looking one of
          those and use it for a pattern and for construction details around the yoke.

          I view DVDs on my computer, from which place it's easy to do screen caps
          and save them right to a useful place. In Sorcerer's Stone there is one
          shot of Snape going to head off Quirrel, and there you get the best look at
          the back of the yoke and sleeve tops of his robe. In the same film, right
          after he says people might think Harry is "up to something", he walks away
          and you can see how the robe really moves. (That shot is what convinced me
          I needed a robe that looked like his.)

          CarolynKayta Barrows
          dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com

          //// \\\
          ////-@@\\\
          (((( 7 )))
          ((( <> ))))
          ) ((((((
          /----\ /---\))
        • legrinstl@charter.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
            Kristi:

            Try Butterick 3820 and 3819 for Choir robes. The cassock pattern is Butterick 6844

            Eleanna

            > From: "Kristi" <saystine@...>
            > Date: 2005/08/01 Mon AM 04:54:46 EDT
            > To: MadameMalkins@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [MadameMalkins] Re: Hi and Newbie Questions

          • Pam Bowyer
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
              Hello,

              Like so many others, I am going to attempt a Snape costume. I am wondering
              what your opinions would be on the following question. I have a good screen
              cap of his outfit during the PoA duel scene. When he turns around, you can
              see the split in the back of the coat. However, it looks as though it's on
              the left side of the back. Now, I know that coats are usually split in the
              middle of the back. Do you think the back of the coat has two splits, or
              just the traditional centre one that perhaps got off-kilter at that moment?

              Thanks!

              Pam
            • Aurora Celeste
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                Maybe it's like a suitcoat, slightly overlapped but still in the center? Or
                it just got twisted in filming? Or it's really on the left . . . I dunno.
                Can you put the screencap in the pictures file for all of us to see?
                Aurora

                On 8/1/05, Pam Bowyer <petra-nef@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > Like so many others, I am going to attempt a Snape costume. I am wondering
                >
                > what your opinions would be on the following question. I have a good
                > screen
                > cap of his outfit during the PoA duel scene. When he turns around, you can
                >
                > see the split in the back of the coat. However, it looks as though it's on
                >
                > the left side of the back. Now, I know that coats are usually split in the
                >
                > middle of the back. Do you think the back of the coat has two splits, or
                > just the traditional centre one that perhaps got off-kilter at that
                > moment?
                >

                > Thanks!
                >
                > Pam

              • Carolyn Kayta Barrows
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                  > Like so many others, I am going to attempt a Snape costume. I am
                  > wondering
                  >what your opinions would be on the following question. I have a good screen
                  >cap of his outfit during the PoA duel scene. When he turns around, you can
                  >see the split in the back of the coat. However, it looks as though it's on
                  >the left side of the back. Now, I know that coats are usually split in the
                  >middle of the back. Do you think the back of the coat has two splits, or
                  >just the traditional centre one that perhaps got off-kilter at that moment?

                  You can see the splits better when he shoots at Lockhart. There's a camera
                  shot from above, and you can see the skirts of the coat swirl apart
                  wherever they're split.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                    When he turns around, you can see the split in the back of the coat.
                    However, it looks as though it's on the left side of the back. Now,
                    I know that coats are usually split in the middle of the back. Do
                    you think the back of the coat has two splits, or just the
                    traditional centre one that perhaps got off-kilter at that moment?

                    Hi Pam,

                    In my investigation I've found that the back of Snape's coat seems
                    to be split in about 3 places. you can really see it in the COS
                    dueling scene when Snape fires his spell at Lockhart. there is kind
                    of an over head shot, and you can see the splits.

                    also as he walks away after suggesting that Malfoy duel Harry
                    instead of Ron, you can see that there are lots of pleats in the
                    back as well. I count 2, but it almost looks like there are three.
                    there is just an awful lot of fabric in the back. meanwhile, the
                    front of the coat looks completely smooth.

                    it does seem strange to me that there would be both Pleats and
                    splits. it seems like overkill, but that is what I have noticed on
                    the DVD. and more than likely there is a reason for it. I don't
                    have a good Screen cap catcher, or I'd post them for you.

                    right now I'm thinking about putting in just two pleats, and three
                    splits, one on each side and one in the middle.

                    glad to hear someone else is attempting a Snape costume too.
                    maybe together we can make both of ours grand.

                    best of luck, Kristi
                  • Dianna
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                      For all those people planning on doing Snape costumes, check out
                      http://www.logospilgrim.com/ Logospilgrim cosplays as Snape and does
                      and awesome job, check out his costumes (he has 28 gallaries for
                      inspiration) Since, it's so screen acurate, it might be easier looking
                      at his images.

                      Dianna
                    • Martha Shaffer
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
                        Absolutely Beautiful. Thank you for the link. Martha
                        For all those people planning on doing Snape costumes, check out
                        http://www.logospilgrim.com/ Logospilgrim cosplays as Snape and does
                        and awesome job, check out his costumes (he has 28 gallaries for
                        inspiration) Since, it's so screen acurate, it might be easier looking
                        at his images.

                        Dianna

                        Harry potter

                      • Carolyn Kayta Barrows
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
                          >it does seem strange to me that there would be both Pleats and
                          >splits. it seems like overkill, but that is what I have noticed on
                          >the DVD. and more than likely there is a reason for it.

                          That might have been a theatrical decision, so the garment swirled nicely
                          when he turned around.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
                            >For all those people planning on doing Snape costumes, check out
                            >http://www.logospilgrim.com/ Logospilgrim cosplays as Snape and does
                            >and awesome job, check out his costumes (he has 28 gallaries for
                            >inspiration) Since, it's so screen acurate, it might be easier looking
                            >at his images.

                            This person has really put a lot of thought into what he's doing, and
                            certainly much time and effort. The sum total of the work is very
                            impressive. I can quibble about the yoke in back not having enough of the
                            right kind of pleats to match the one in the film, and the fact that the
                            under-tunic in the film has a waist seam. But I can't match the
                            performance, the dedication, nor, of course, the photography.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
                              > >For all those people planning on doing Snape costumes, check out
                              > >http://www.logospilgrim.com/ Logospilgrim cosplays as Snape and does
                              > >and awesome job, check out his costumes (he has 28 gallaries for
                              > >inspiration) Since, it's so screen acurate, it might be easier looking
                              > >at his images.

                              Woah!!!!!!! That's am awesome site. There are some minor quibbles
                              I have with little details there, but on the whole, one of the better
                              recreations. What an interesting person!

                              Thanks, everybody, for the help. I will keep checking in. :)

                              Pam