11_23_10: Howard Holiday Msg., Vegan Unplugged! & Mr. Clucky

  • soulveggie
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2010
      Howdy! Welcome to the 71th issue of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter.

      This edition features a special holiday message from Howard! You can also learn about Mr. Clucky, Dennis Kucinich's book, how the food industry wants to change the name "high fructose syrup" (and avoid connections with a study showing how HFS feeds cancer), that a new study shows that organic strawberries not only taste better, but are better for your health. Further on, you'll see some Monsanto backlash, an unusual study about how plants "think" with light, that there was actually a Texas Veggie Fair during the humongous Texas State Fair, more concerns about Frankenfish, and that the oldest Brit is vegetarian.

      Don't miss the fine recipes from "Vegan Unplugged!" a unique survival guide and vegan cookbook, quite a few videos worth glomming in the "Vegan Digital Media Theater," how $4.2 billion is being spent to convince you to eat "fast food," and that the Tea Party wants to eliminate "Puppy Mill" legislation. And of course, there's the obligatory "Mad Cow Info Round-Up."

      ... as always, a tip of the hat to our new subscribers: y'all can browse/search through past issues at the Mad Cowboy Newsletter Archives at:

      Here's hoping everyone has a fine, warm, and enjoyable Vegan Thanksgiving with friends and family! Be patient with your non-veg relatives or associations, and set an example by being grateful for what blessings we do have and giving thanks where due.

      Best regards, Mark MC editor/webmaster

      [personal vegan blog:
      http://www.soulveggie.com

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:
      00: A Special Holiday Message from Howard
      02: Recipes from "Vegan Unplugged!" by Jon Robertson
      03: Mad Cow Info Round-Up
      04: HFS Feeds Cancer/Name Chg., US Avoids Vegs, $4.2 Billion
      05: Study: Org. Strawbs Best, Monsanto Wins/Loses, Plants Think
      06: Vegan Digital Media Theater
      07: Tex Veggie Fair, Kucinich Cookbook, Oldest Brit is Veg, Quivers
      08: Frankenfish, Mr. Clucky, Pam Anderson, Tea Party vs. Puppies
      09: Quick Bytes
      10: Closing Thoughts

      *00: A Special Holiday Message from Howard
      THANKSGIVING 2010

      We should often stop and ask what we are thankful for. My life has been such a roller coster it is quite difficult to tell the difference between the good and bad. Often those things which appeared very bad turned out to be the gateway to some of the most successful events in my life.

      I truly believe we are on the brink of an environmental disaster. Out the blue a former President comes out on national television and announces that he is eating an almost vegan diet.

      Schopenhauer, the great philosopher, said about truth; first it is ridiculed; then it is violently opposed; and finally it is accepted as self-evident. Those of us involved in the healthy food movement have struggled with this ridicule and opposition for years. Now the acceptance of a healthy diet as an accepted fact is almost overwhelming.

      Even with our resent success it is important to realize there is no time to relax. If we don't press forward, the existing damage to the environment will make planet earth inhospitable for our existing population. The future for our children and grandchildren is very bleak.

      Every time I look my family in the eye I realize their future depends on our efforts today. What the world population eats every day, what they use for fuel and the recycling of our natural resources will determine how many of the six billion plus humans now existing on the earth will move into the future.

      When I review my last twenty years I revel in the knowledge that thousands of folks have willingly supported me in getting the word out. Some, one time and others time after time. I have more friends than I can count but none are forgotten. I wish there way a way to thank everyone of them personally, but lacking that skill I want to publicly thank them all for being my friend.

      Your friend, Howard

      ["Ethanol consumes two-thirds of all federal subsidies for renewable fuels:"
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/05/MNF91E84SL.DTL#ixzz0svBA6pC0

      THIS WEEK'S VEGAN MIND-BENDER:
      "Of the following, which is NOT one of the top five sources of energy for 2 - 3 year olds:

      (a) whole milk (b) fruit juice (c) pasta (d) HFS-based sodas (e) Starbucks Triple Latte with Double Expresso

      Please e-mail guesses to: webmaster@... with the word "contest" in your subject line by NLT Dec. 14th, 2010. PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS (U.S. domestic only). It will not be sold nor given out to anyone but VegNews.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *02: Recipes from "Vegan Unplugged!" by Jon Robertson
      "Vegan Unplugged! A Pantry Cuisine Cookbook and Survival Guide," by Jon Robertson (with recipes by Robin Robertson)

      "An insurance policy every family should purchase. It can turn a disaster into an adventure."
      --- Howard F. Lyman LL.D., "The Mad Cowboy"

      "PASTA WITH CREAMY PUMPKIN SAUCE AND WALNUTS"

      "Pasta tossed with creamy sage-infused sauce sprinkled with walnuts is good enough to make you forget this is Pantry Cuisine. If water is at a premium, scratch the angel hair past in favor of pouring a small amount of boiling water over a few ramen noodle bricks (drain and proceed with recipe)."

      Ingredients:
      1 (15-ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
      1 cup water
      1 teaspoon vegetable broth base
      1 teaspoon ground sage
      1 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/2 teaspoon onion powder
      12 ounces angel hair pasta or cappelini
      1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts

      Method:

      1. In a sacepan, combine the pumpkin, water, broth base, sage, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook over medium heat until smooth and hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the sauce is too thick, add a little water. Set aside.

      2. Cool, the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Add the reserved sauce and toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with the walnuts."

      Makes 4 servings.

      "TEXAS TWISTER CAVIAR"

      "Black-eyed peas are the featured ingredient in this satisfying spread. Serve it on crackers or use it as a tasty sandwich filling."

      Ingredients:
      1 (15.5-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
      1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
      1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/4 teaspoon onion powder
      1 tablespoon dried parsley
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      2 teaspoons cider vinegar
      1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
      1/4 teaspoon cayenne
      Salt and black pepper

      Method:

      1. Place the black-eyed peas and tomatoes in a bowl and mash well. Stir in the garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, oil, vinegar, mustard, and cayenne.

      2. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir until well combined."

      Makes 4 servings.

      [Jon's Blog:
      http://veganunplugged.blogspot.com/

      [More about the book and ordering it online:
      http://www.veganheritagepress.com/book_pages/veganunplugged.html

      {Both recipes above ©2010 by Jon Robertson}

      *03: Mad Cow Info Round-Up
      "ALMOND FARMERS CAN CHALLENGE USDA PASTEURIZATION RULE:" (08/03/10): "A federal appeals court ruled today, overturning a lower court decision, that a group of California almond farmers have the right to challenge a USDA regulation requiring the treatment of their raw almonds with a toxic fumigant or steam heat prior to sale to consumers. For the past three years, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has denied American consumers the right to buy raw almonds, grown in the USA, when they shop in grocery and natural food stores... The controversial rule has cost individual farmers millions of dollars in lost sales since it was enacted in September 2007... The USDA and the Almond Board of California imposed the treatment scheme to minimize the risk of salmonella contamination outbreaks like those that had occurred with almonds in 2001 and 2004. USDA investigators were never able to determine how salmonella bacteria somehow contaminated the raw almonds that caused the food illnesses but they were able to trace back one of the outbreaks, in part, to the country's largest "factory farm," growing almonds and pistachios on over 9000 acres..."

      [Campaign against irradiation:
      http://www.cornucopia.org/almonds/

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cornucopia.org/2010/08/federal-court-victory-almond-farmers-can-challenge-usda-pasteurization-rule/

      "E. COLI OUTBREAK, 1 MILLION POUNDS MAY BE AFFECTED:" (08/06/10): "A meat processor recalled about 1 million pounds of ground beef products Friday after seven people were sickened by E. coli contamination. Valley Meat Co., of Modesto, sold the potentially contaminated beef patties and ground beef in California, Texas, Oregon, Arizona and internationally, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said. The beef was processed from Oct. 2, 2009, to Jan. 12, 2010. Most of the products were sold frozen. The company was working with the USDA to identify stores where the products were sold and remove the items from shelves. The USDA would likely have a list of retailers available in three to 10 working days, department spokesman Neil Gaffney said..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/06/valley-meat-beef-recall-e-coli-1-million-pounds_n_674191.html

      "SALMONELLA OUTBREAKS PROMPT MASSIVE EGG RECALL:" (08/18/10): "Salmonella outbreaks in several states have led to a massive egg recall following investigation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The outbreak has caused hospitalizations across the United States. At least 38 people in Santa Clara County, California, and 266 people across that state have gotten sick after eating contaminated eggs, with at least three in Santa Clara County being hospitalized, since May, Mercury News reports... The company has issued a nationwide voluntary recall of about 228 million shell eggs shipped since May 19 to food wholesalers, distribution centers and foodservice companies in California, Illinois, Missouri, Colorado, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. These companies distribute nationwide..."

      [Edited from:
      http://indyposted.com/38469/salmonella-outbreak-egg-recall-wright-county-iowa/

      [See also: "CDC: Salmonella from eggs may have sickened 1,300:"
      http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/food/safety/2010-08-20-salmonella20_st_N.htm

      [See also: "Egg Recall Expands to More than Half a Billion Nationwide:"
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/21/egg-recall-expands-to-mor_n_690019.html

      "NATIONWIDE MEAT RECALL ANNOUNCED:" (08/24/10): "Zemco Industries in Buffalo, New York, has recalled approximately 380,000 pounds of deli meat that may be contaminated with bacteria that can cause a potentially fatal disease, the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced Monday. The products were distributed to Wal-Marts nationwide, according to the USDA's website. The meats may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, which was discovered in a retail sample collected by inspectors in Georgia. The USDA has received no reports of illnesses associated with the meats... The meats were produced on dates ranging from June 18 to July 2, 2010. The "Use By" dates range from August 20 to September 10, 2010..."

      http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/24/meat.recall/index.html

      "SALMONELLA-SICKENED GRANDMA PLEADS FOR FOOD SAFETY:" (09/22/10): "A Colorado grandmother hospitalized for five days after eating an appetizer made with salmonella-tainted eggs urged Congress to pass food safety laws that might have prevented her suffering. Carol Lobato, 77, of Littleton, developed septic shock and nearly died in July from illness linked to a massive salmonella outbreak and the nationwide recall of half a billion eggs. She was one of two confirmed victims who testifed in a hearing today that also included the owners of the Iowa farms deemed responsible for the crisis. "The infection wiped me out to the point that I could not function on my own," said Lobato, who flew to Washington, D.C., for a meeting of a U.S. House Energy and Commerce subcommittee. "On behalf of myself, my family and the 1,500 others who were sickened, please make our food system safer."

      ...The hearing was held even as the Senate wrangles over whether to vote on a landmark food safety bill that would give the federal Food and Drug Administration new authority to order recalls, inspect sites and investigate contamination. FDA head Dr. Margaret Hamburg has said the proposed law would give allow the agency to prevent future outbreaks. A House version of the bill passed last year... The hearing was being conducted in the shadow of the sweeping food safety bill. That bill has been stalled in the Senate, despite having broad bipartisan backing and support from an unusual coalition of industry and consumer groups. Last week, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., tried to schedule a vote on the bill, seeking to limit debate on the measure in a busy Senate calendar. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., refused, saying that the estimated $1.4 billion cost of the bill needed to be matched with spending cuts and that it might give too much power to the FDA...."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39297056/ns/health-food_safety/

      "FDA: TEXAS FOOD PLANT TESTS POSITIVE FOR LISTERIA:" (11/03/10): The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday a closed Texas food processing plant tested positive for a bacteria that has been linked to the deaths of four people. The Texas Department of State Health Services on October 20 ordered SanGar Fresh Cut Produce to immediately stop processing food and recall all products shipped from its San Antonio plant since January. The move came after state laboratory results showed Listeria monocytogenes, a bacteria that can cause severe illness, in chopped celery at the plant.... The FDA said Wednesday inspectors found several other problems, including hoses making contact with food, bagged carrots being stored on a wet floor, a lack of adequate drainage areas, foods not being stored at the proper temperature and a failure to safely clean utensils and equipment... The bacteria have been tied to listeriosis, which sickens about 2,500 Americans and contributes to the death of 500 people annually, the CDC reports.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/03/texas.food.plant

      "BIOSOLIDS SPREAD ON LAWNS AND PLAYGROUNDS ARE INFECTIOUS:" (11/19/10): "Dear Editor, Concerning your article: Alzheimer's Awareness: Three Myths Debunked

      http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/45195/

      ...There are many sources of prions in land applied sewage "biosolids" which can cause TSEs (transmissible spongiform encephalopathies) including BSE/mad cow disease; Scrapie in sheep and goats; Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in deer, moose, and elk; and sporadic CJD in humans. Dozens of animal species have been infected with TSEs, indicating there is no "species barrier". The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and waste industry are perpetrating a fraud on the American public by promoting infectious Class A sewage sludge "biosolids" (e.g. Milorganite) for use on public parks, ballfields, playgrounds, home lawns, and flower and vegetable gardens by claiming it is "sterile" and "pathogen free". EPA funded research shows that both Class B AND Class A sludge "biosolids" may contain infectious human and animal prions (Pedersen, Aiken, et al, Univ. of Wisconsin)..."

      [Support links:
      http://www.cda.org/library/cda_member/pubs/journal/jour0107/hamilton.pdf
      http://www.sludgevictims.com/prions-intestines-feces.html
      http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_12180851

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/46231/

      *04: HFS Feeds Cancer/Name Chg., US Avoids Vegs, $4.2 Billion
      "CANCER CELLS FEED ON FRUCTOSE, STUDY FINDS:" (08/02/10): "Pancreatic tumor cells use fructose to divide and proliferate, U.S. researchers said on Monday in a study that challenges the common wisdom that all sugars are the same. Tumor cells fed both glucose and fructose used the two sugars in two different ways, the team at the University of California Los Angeles found. They said their finding, published in the journal Cancer Research, may help explain other studies that have linked fructose intake with pancreatic cancer, one of the deadliest cancer types... U.S. consumption of high fructose corn syrup went up 1,000 percent between 1970 and 1990, researchers reported in 2004 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38528161/ns/health-cancer/

      [See also: "A New Name for High Fructose Syrup:"
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/a-new-name-for-high-fructose-corn-syrup/?partner=rss

      "TOLD TO EAT ITS VEGETABLES, AMERICA ORDERS FRIES:" (09/24/10): "... Despite two decades of public health initiatives, stricter government dietary guidelines, record growth of farmers' markets and the ease of products like salad in a bag, Americans still aren't eating enough vegetables. This month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a comprehensive nationwide behavioral study of fruit and vegetable consumption. Only 26 percent of the nation's adults eat vegetables three or more times a day, it concluded. (And no, that does not include French fries.) ...only 23 percent of meals include a vegetable, Mr. Balzer said. (Again, fries don't count, but lettuce on a hamburger does.) The number of dinners prepared at home that included a salad was 17 percent; in 1994, it was 22 percent. At restaurants, salads ordered as a main course at either lunch or dinner dropped by half since 1989, to a mere 5 percent, he said..."

      [Edited from:
      https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/25/health/policy/25vegetables.html?_r=1

      "THE FAST-FOOD INDUSTRY'S $4.2 BILLION MARKETING BLITZ:" (11/10/10): "... Yale's Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity has just put out an extraordinary report [PDF] on fast-food industry marketing. Here's the report's headline number: $4.2 billion, which is how much the industry spent marketing its wares in 2010. To put that amount in perspective, consider the Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, the USDA's sub-agency that "works to improve the health and well-being of Americans by developing and promoting dietary guidance that links scientific research to the nutrition needs of consumers." Its annual budget? $6.5 million, according to The New York Times reporter Michael Moss. So $4.2 billion vs. $6.5 million. That means that for every $1 the industry spends haranguing Americans to eat stuff like Burger King's 2,500-calorie Pizza Burger, about a tenth of a penny gets spent urging folks to eat their spinach..."

      [Very edited from a post with a lot of useful embedded links at:
      http://www.grist.org/article/food-2010-11-09-the-fast-food-industrys-4.2-billion-marketing-blitz

      [See also: "While Warning About Fat, U.S. Pushes Cheese Sales:"
      https://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/us/07fat.html?_r=2&hp=&pagewanted=all

      "FLOW OF EMPTY CALORIES INTO CHILDREN'S FOOD SUPPLY MUST BE REDUCED, EXPERTS URGE:" (10/01/10): "With over 23 million children and adolescents in the US overweight or obese, the risks for many chronic diseases continue to increase. An article in the October issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association examines the diets of American youth and finds some disturbing results...For 2-18 year olds, the top sources of energy were grain desserts, pizza, and soda. Sugar-sweetened beverages (soda and fruit drinks combined) provided almost 10% of total calories consumed. Nearly 40% of total calories consumed by 2-18 year olds were in the form of empty calories from solid fat and from added sugars. Half of empty calories came from six foods: soda, fruit drinks, dairy desserts, grain desserts, pizza, and whole milk... Dr. Kavey writes, "High added sugar consumption which occurs most commonly in the form of sugar-sweetened beverages is associated with a constellation of cardiovascular risk factors, both independently, and through the development of obesity..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101001105211.htm

      *05: Study: Org. Strawbs Best, Monsanto Wins/Loses, Plants Think
      "PERCY SCHMEISER VS MONSANTO: THE FUTURE OF SEEDS:" (09/17/10): "...Canadian farmer Percy Schmeiser, who has battled the biotech giant Monsanto for years. When Monsanto seeds blew into Schmeiser's property, Monsanto accused him of illegally planting their crops and took him to court. Ultimately his case landed in the Canadian Supreme Court. He was awarded the Right Livelihood Award in 1997 for fighting to defend the rights of farmers and the future of seeds. "

      [Video, transcript, audio:
      http://www.democracynow.org/2010/9/17/percy_schmeiser_vs_monsanto_the_story

      "THE BERRY HEALTHIEST: HOW ORGANIC STRAWBERRIES 'ARE MORE NUTRITIOUS':" (09/02/10): "Organic strawberries may cost more, but it's a price worth paying, scientists say. The fruit is both tastier and better for your health, research shows. The most detailed study of its kind has found that they contain higher levels of anti-cancer nutrients than fruit sprayed with chemical pesticides. Naturally-produced strawberries also have a longer shelf life and a richer, more fruity flavour, according to the researchers. Their findings add to a growing body of evidence that organic food is healthier than conventional fruit and vegetables..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1308220/The-berry-healthiest-How-organic-strawberries-nutritious.html

      "PLANTS 'CAN THINK AND REMEMBER':" (07/14/10): Plants are able to "remember" and "react" to information contained in light, according to researchers.Plants, scientists say, transmit information about light intensity and quality from leaf to leaf in a very similar way to our own nervous systems. These "electro-chemical signals" are carried by cells that act as "nerves" of the plants... "We shone the light only on the bottom of the plant and we observed changes in the upper part," explained Professor Stanislaw Karpinski from the Warsaw University of Life Sciences in Poland, who led this research... "And the changes proceeded when the light was off... This was a complete surprise..." Plants perform a sort of biological light computation, using information contained in the light to immunise themselves against diseases..."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10598926

      "JUDGE REVOKES USDA APPROVAL OF MONSANTO'S GENETICALLY MODIFIED SUGAR BEETS, ORDERS REVIEW:" (08/14/10): "A federal judge has revoked the government's approval of genetically altered sugar beets until regulators complete a more thorough review of how the scientifically engineered crops affect other food. The ruling by U.S. District Judge Jeffrey S. White Friday means sugar beet growers won't be able to use the modified seeds after harvesting the biotechnology beets already planted on more than 1 million acres spanning 10 states from Michigan to Oregon. All the seed comes from Oregon's Willamette Valley. Additional planting won't be allowed until the U.S. Department of Agriculture submits an environmental impact statement. That sort of extensive examination can take two or three years...

      "Hopefully, the agency will learn that their mandate is to protect farmers, consumers and the environment and not the bottom line of corporations such as Monsanto," Kimbrell said in a statement...

      [Edited from:
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/14/judge-revokes-usda-approv_n_682325.html

      *06: Vegan Digital Media Theater
      VIDEO: "The Majestic Plastic Bag: A Mockumentary:"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLgh9h2ePYw

      VIDEO: "PCRM's 30 Sec McDonald's Viral Commercial: "Consequences:"
      http://www.pcrm.org/newsletter/oct10/mcdonalds.html

      VIDEO: "Bill Clinton, Dr. Ornish, & Dr. Esselstyn" on CNN:
      http://engine2diet.com/the-daily-beet/cnns-wolf-blitzer-interviews-dr-esselstyn-and-dr-ornish-clintons-nutrition-doctors/

      VIDEO: "@TEDx: Kid Sums up "What's Wrong with Our Food System" in 5 minutes:"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Id9caYw-Y

      VIDEOS: "EARTH - Life Is:"
      http://lifeis.bbcearth.com/#/filter

      VIDEO: "Lecture on Veg'nism by Lubomir Stoyanov (Bulgarian Vegetarian Society):"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eHoIzXxwUw

      GRAPHIC: "We have created an infographic which we think will be of interest to yourself and your visitors. It covers all aspects of the World's Carbon Dioxide emissions and includes information on how much we can save by eating a vegetarian diet.
      http://www.fly.co.uk/co2-emissions.html

      VIDEO: "Chow Down (don't miss "Blockage Bob"): "Chow Down" is the story of three people, who when faced with heart disease, decide to follow Dr. Esselstyn's advice and follow a no-added fat vegan diet. Uplifting, with insightful commentaries from Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. T. Colin Campbell (among other experts), this DVD also includes some clever explanatory animations.
      www.chowdownmovie.com/trailer

      VIDEO TRAILER: "FORKS OVER KNIVES examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the so-called "diseases of affluence" that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods. The major storyline in the film traces the personal journeys of a pair of pioneering yet under-appreciated researchers, Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn."
      http://www.ForksOverKnives.com

      VIDEO, RESOURCES, ACTIVISM: "Promoting veganism through multimedia:
      http://www.ohwhyohwhy.org/

      VIDEO, RESOURCES ACTIVISM: "Our aim is to foster world peace for all of its inhabitants and for the planet itself by providing information, resources and discussion that will encourage critical thinking and creative action for change."
      http://thepeacefulplanet.org/

      VIDEOES: "Vegan Vision Productions:"
      http://www.veganvision.net/

      ACTIVISM: "We are organizing "Earthlings Day" on Sunday, 5th December. The purpose of this day is to create awareness about the cause of animal rights by organizing a showing of the movie Earthlings in communities, private homes, and wherever possible. Please help us spread the message and let us know if you decide to join our cause so we can publish your events on our facebook group:
      http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=356848605446

      ACTIVISM: "AS you may be aware the climate change conference COP16 is weeks away and it is necessary for our delegates to reflect in their actions the findings of various official reports on how livestock and animal products are detrimental to the planet and how by switching to a vegan would be the first sustainable approach for a solution to climate change. I kindly ask that you share our campaign which encourages delegates attending COP16 to maintain a meat free diet. We sincerely appreciate your time and consideration to this matter.?"
      http://meatfreecop16.org/send-letter/

      *07: Tex Veggie Fair, Kucinich Cookbook, Oldest Brit is Veg, Quivers
      "THE 1ST TEXAS STATE VEGGIE FAIR:" (10/06/10): "The inaugural Texas State Veggie Fair is a celebration of the thriving vegan scene in Dallas. The antithesis of another fair coinciding at the same time, the Texas State Veggie Fair aims to show how a compassionate view of animals can result in an awesome fair environment with food, arts, and entertainment."

      [Edited from:
      http://dallasvegan.com/fair/uncategorized/texas-state-veggie-fair-faqs/

      "DENNIS KUCINICH TO PUBLISH VEGAN DIET BOOK:" (11/08/10): "Gunning for a presidential nomination back in 2004, it turns out Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) had a problem on his hands. No, not a mistress or misappropriation of funds. It was his diet. He was a vegan! According to the Businessweek article, "The Rise of Power Vegans," many worried that the rep's choice to forgo meat and other animal products would confuse voters, "People weren't sure if it was another political party or an ethnic group they'd never heard of," Kucinich shared. It turns out his choice to go vegan was sparked by love. He made the change to capture the attention of a lady friend 15 years ago and never looked back. In fact the longtime politician has penned a diet book under the working title, "The Cleveland Diet..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.ecorazzi.com/2010/11/08/dennis-kucinich-to-publish-vegan-diet-book/

      "BRITAIN'S OLDEST MAN HAS 108 REASONS TO CELEBRATE:" (11/04/10): "Britain's oldest man, who lives in Wirksworth, has celebrated his 108th birthday... And while he said there were five secrets to living a long life, he could only remember four of them. Mr Dean said: "Good friends, a religion, looking for the best in people not the worst and being a vegetarian for 30 years have all helped – but I can't remember the other one, "My health couldn't be better and I have few aches and pains, for which I am very grateful. My birthday has been a big effort but I appreciate the help of my friends..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Britain-s-oldest-man-108-reasons-celebrate/article-2842339-detail/article.html

      "ROBIN QUIVERS: GOING VEGAN GAVE HER STRENGTH TO RUN MARATHON:" (11/06/10): "Howard Stern Show co-host Robin Quivers appeared on the Rachael Ray Show Thursday to talk about how going vegan gave her the strength to run the upcoming New York City Marathon. "If I wasn't on this diet I don't know that I could run the marathon," says Quivers during her video segment... Quivers says she lost 80 pounds thanks to a vegan diet, but neglected to mention her infamous "Green Drink" on daytime talk show. She says life before her switch to veganism four years ago was absolute misery.

      "I love my life," says Quivers. "I love how I feel and everywhere I go the first thing I hear is 'Robin you look great'..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.examiner.com/howard-stern-in-national/robin-quivers-talks-living-vegan-on-rachael-ray-show-video

      *08: Frankenfish, Mr. Clucky, Pam Anderson, Tea Party vs. Puppies
      "THE CREEPY SCIENCE BEHIND GENETICALLY ENGINEERED "FRANKENFISH":" (11/22/10): "If approved, AquAdvantage will be the first genetically engineered animal to directly enter the U.S. food supply -- a fact that raises the stakes of the FDA's approval process, as it sets a precedent for all future GE animals. Because of a regulatory decision in the 1980s that no new laws are needed to regulate genetically engineered foods, the FDA is actually regulating the GE salmon as a drug... Hansen noted two reasons why consumers may wish to avoid the GE salmon. First, he notes that reports of increased inflammation in the tissues of the GE salmon may result in increased antibiotic use. Second, consumers who care about animal welfare may wish to avoid the salmon because even in the flawed tests that were performed, the GE salmon exhibited higher rates of physical deformities than non-GE salmon. The bigger picture, of course, is the standard AquAdvantage salmon will set for future genetically engineered animals. Even if the AquAdvantage salmon proves to be safe in the long run, if sloppy and dishonest science is all that's required to pass a product through the U.S. regulatory system, what other disasters lie in our future?"

      Editor's note: You can take action on this issue here:
      http://www.change.org/petitions/view/stop_genetically_engineered_salmon_from_reaching_your_plate

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.alternet.org/story/148156/

      "MEATLESS MONDAY: PARTY WITH MR. CLUCKY:" (11/22/10): "While many across America are preparing to eat Thanksgiving turkey on Thursday, some of us in South Beach are honoring another bird, Mr. Clucky . To those of us who know him, Mr. Clucky is more than a rooster. He has been Miami's spokesfowl, a bird who stands for peace, stewardship of the earth and animal compassion. PETA loves him. So does EarthSave. But no one has loved him more than his owner, Mark Buckley. Buckley first came across the rooster as an abandoned fowl, possibly a Santeria escapee, no more than a pile of feathers in the bushes. Buckley took him in and nursed him back to health. Soon the two were South Beach icons (hey, on South Beach, this is possible), frequently seen out and about on Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. Perched on the handlebars of Buckley's bicycle, Mr. Clucky's feathers immaculate, his head high, his crowing a veritable trumpet, his demeanor lordly but kind. As roosters go, he's had a pretty good life. He has his own website, FaceBook page and a loyal fan base, which is more than many of us can say."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-kanner/meatless-monday-mr-clucky_b_784099.html

      "PAM ANDERSON'S INDIA VISIT INCREASES NON-LEATHER SALES:" (11/22/10): "Former Baywatch star Pamela Anderson has galvanized Indians' interest in non-leather products during her recent trip to the country. According to reports on the ground, Anderson's appearance on the Indian version of Big Brother and her appeal to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to avoid leather has left a positive imprint on the country. The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India has reported an upsurge in people contacting the organization about how they can get involved with animal advocacy and where to purchase cruelty-free products... The leather industry in total produces about 18 billion square feet of leather a year, and the total value of this is estimated at about $40 billion. Developing countries now produce over 60% of the world's leather, and this proportion is growing."

      [Edited from:
      http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=21351

      "TEA PARTY-OPPOSED ANTI-PUPPY MILL LAW MIGHT BE IN THE DOGHOUSE WITH MISSOURI LAWMAKERS:" (11/22/10): "Members of the Missouri legislature are considering a repeal of Proposition B, a measure to strengthen anti-puppy mill laws, that was approved by voters on election day. As we reported, the "Puppy Mill Cruelty Prevention Act" aimed to help eliminate the "3000 puppy mills" in Missouri that constitute "30% of all puppy mills in the U.S.," by limiting the size of breeder operations and mandating better conditions for dogs, according to Michael Markarian, the Chief Operating Officer of the Humane Society of the United States, which helped push the bill. Markarian also told TPM last month that the measure only applied to "commercial dog breeding facilities" that have more than 10 breeding females who they use for "producing puppies for the pet trade..." ...The Missouri Tea Party and the Tea Party Patriots also came out against Prop B, as did Joe "The Plumber" Wurtzelbacher, arguing that it was just another example of big government meddling in people's lives..."

      [Very edited from:

      http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/11/tea_party_opposed_anti-puppy_mill_law_might_be_in_the_doghouse_with.php

      *09: Quick Bytes
      AGRICULTURE:

      [Useful resource and for networking:
      http://www.kitchengardeners.org/

      [SUPERB CSA (community supported agriculture) interactive resource:"
      http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/csa/

      BLOGS/PODCASTS:

      ["Vegan Daily Blog:"
      http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/

      ["Organic Consumers: Read, Blog & Meet-up!:"
      http://organicconsumers.org/chat/index.php

      [The Mad Cowboy Newsletter Editor's Vegan Blog:
      http://www.soulveggie.com

      [Podcasts, radio:
      http://www.veganradio.com/

      [Robin Robertston's "Vegan Planet:"
      http://veganplanet.blogspot.com/

      ["The FatFreeVegan Blog:"
      http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

      ["The Vegan Lunch Box Blog (PETA & Bloggy Award-winning:"
      http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com

      [Bryanna Clark Grogan's Blog:
      http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/

      ["Raw Vegan Blog and Podcasts:"
      http://www.rawveganradio.blogspot.com/

      ["Recommended Blogs & Websites for Food & Farming Information:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/2006/article_563.cfm

      [100 Useful Websites for Vegetarians and Vegans:
      http://www.ultrasoundtechnicianschools.org/100-useful-websites-for-vegetarians-and-vegans/

      NEWSLETTERS/GROUPS/LISTS/FORUMS:

      [The FatFree Vegan Yahoo Group List:

      [Farmed Animal Net:
      http://www.farmedanimal.net/

      [VegNews Monthly Newsletter:
      http://www.vegnews.com

      [FARMUSA's MeatOut Monday Newsletter:
      http://meatoutmondays.org

      [VegMichigan's PlantPeaceDaily Newsletter:
      http://www.plantpeacedaily.org/newsletter.html

      [PCRM Membership News and Info:
      Send e-mail to: membership@...

      [Vegetarians In Paradise Newsletter:
      http://www.vegparadise.com

      [International Vegetarian Union Newsletter:
      http://www.ivu.org/news/index.html

      ["In a Vegetarian Kitchen: (Nava Atlas):"
      http://www.vegkitchen.com

      ["International Organization for Animal Protection:"
      http://www.oipa.org/

      ["VeggieBoards:"
      http://www.veggieboards.com

      RECIPES:

      [Over 10,000 veg'n recipe links:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VegRecipes.html

      ["Over 1,000 International (regional) Vegetarian Recipes:"
      http://www.ivu.org/recipes/regions.html

      [PCRM Recipe Archives:
      http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/recipe_archive.html

      [Almost 2,000 searchable fat-free veg'n recipes:
      http://www.fatfree.com

      [Award-winning searchable veg'n recipe database:
      http://vegweb.com/

      [Constantly wonderful site of vegan recipes:
      http://www.fatfreevegan.com/

      [Some stunning recipes:
      http://vegandad.blogspot.com

      [Fine collection of McDougall Recipes:
      http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10075

      [Heart-healthy Vegan Recipes:
      http://heart.kumu.org/recipes.html

      *10: Closing Thoughts

      "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."
      --- Elbert Hubbard, The Note Book, 1927

      "Thanksgiving comes to us out of the prehistoric dimness, universal to all ages and all faiths. At whatever straws we must grasp, there is always a time for gratitude and new beginnings."
      --- J. Robert Moskin

      "Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving."
      --- W.T. Purkiser