[11_28_08]: Vegan: The Ultra, How Many, Express, & 10 Reasons

  • soulveggie
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2008
      Howdy! Welcome to the 63rd issue of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter.

      In this issue you'll be treated to some recipes from the new cookbook by
      the esteemed Nava Atlas, "Vegan Express." There's also mention of a
      great blog post on "missing oil" that does a fine job of summarizing
      issues/research on a no-added fat plant-base diet, a study about Western
      Diet and Heart Disease, how eating less may help prevent Altzheimer's
      disease, and why eating is a political act.

      Reading further, you can find out how to calculate your "water
      footprint," learn about Cuba's agricultural Mmiracle, 10 reasons to eat
      local food, 10 reasons to go veg, how many veg'ns there are in the US (a
      new survey), how diet affects aging, and a fascinating interview with
      the ultra-marathoner legend who just happens to be vegan.

      ...and don't miss the interviews of Drs. Caldwell Esselstyn and Dean
      Ornish in "Vegan Digital Theater Showcase," as well as the touching
      audio interview of the human companion to the amazing parrot: Alex.

      ... as always, a tip of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all can read
      past issues of the newsletter at:

      Here's hoping everyone had a wonderful Vegan Thanksgiving! Stay warm...

      Mark, MC editor/webmaster

      [personal vegan blog:
      http://www.soulveggie.com

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quote(s) from Howard
      02: Recipes from a New Cookbook: "Vegan Express," by Nava Atlas
      03: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      04: Missing Oil/Esselstyn/Western Diet & HD/Prevent Alz.>Eat Less
      05: Your H2O Footprint/Cuba Ag./Eat Politics/10 Reasons Local Food
      06: Vegan Digital Theater Showcase
      07: 10 Veg Reasons/? Many Veg'ns/Aging & Diet/The Ultra Veg
      08: Howard's Schedule
      09: Quick Bytes
      10: Closing Thoughts

      *00: Quote(s) from Howard
      "If you walk into a room and there are ten groups of people, and nine
      out of the ten groups are angry and shouting at each other, and one of
      them is over in the corner laughing and having a good time, which one do
      you want to join? We too, as a movement, need to get away from being
      angry, but we cannot share it with people if we cannot get them to ask,
      "Are you one of those "V" people?" Until they ask, no amount of talking
      will do any good. I will give you an example.

      My wife and I have been married 29 years, and I will also say that for
      29 years her mother has lived with us. 29 years of my mother-in-law has
      been a test. When I decided to become a vegetarian, I lost over 100
      pounds, my blood pressure came down, my cholesterol came down, I knew I
      had the answer to my health problems. I could hardly wait to share that
      with my friends and family. I was even considering sharing it with my
      mother-in-law. I invited her for Thanksgiving dinner. I said to her that
      turkey would be available for her. My mother-in-law came into the house,
      went to the oven and to the refrigerator: no turkey. She felt I had let
      her down. I took her to the back yard where I had a live turkey. I told
      her that if she wanted turkey for dinner she would have to kill it
      herself. That turkey survived. Even on that occasion I learned not to be
      angry."

      --- Howard Lyman, addressing the "European Vegetarian Congress" in 1997:
      http://www.ivu.org/congress/euro97/my-name.html

      Amy Komonchak, of Montclair, NJ (winning the Ethical Planet organic
      cotton shopping bag)! Both supplied the correct answer (b) 70% or (e)
      "way too much" and won the luck of the draw.

      ["Cows, chickens, pigs and other farmed animals are fed more than 70
      percent of the grains grown in the U.S... A 2002 E Magazine article
      estimated that the amount of feed needed to produce just one 8-ounce
      steak would fill 45 to 50 bowls with cooked cereal grains.":
      http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474977293259

      THIS WEEK'S VEGAN MIND-BENDER:
      "Recent estimates are that producing 1 pound of beef uses up
      approximately how many gallons of water?"

      (a) 500 (b) 1500 (c) 2000 (d) 4000

      Please e-mail guesses to: webmaster@... with the word
      "contest" in your subject line by NLT December. 15th, 2008. PLEASE
      INCLUDE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS (U.S. domestic only). It will not be sold
      nor given out to anyone but VegNews and Ethical Planet for the freebies
      only.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the
      correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and
      you can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call
      1.415.665.6397]

      [Many thanks, also, to Fran Horvath, of Ethical Planet for offering a
      FREE organic cotton shopping bag to the 2nd place winner. You can learn
      more about her online (and offline) stores at:

      http://www.ethicalplanet.com

      *02: Recipes from a New Cookbook: "Vegan Express," by Nava Atlas

      "Vegan Express is the perfect answer to great food preparation. It's
      the only cookbook you need in your kitchen."
      --- Howard Lyman

      BBQ TEMPEH BACON WITH BLACK-EYE PEAS AND GREENS

      "In this tasty "down home" dish, bits of tart apple add a delightful
      flvor twist. If you have the time, make pan of your favorite vegan corn
      bread."

      2 T olive oil [or use water, broth, beer, etc.]
      1 medium onion, finely chopped
      2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
      One 6-ounce package Fakin' Bacon tempeh strips, finely chopped
      One 15- to 16-ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
      1 medium Granny Smith apple, diced
      2/3 cup natural barbecue sauce (try smoke-flavored)
      10 to 12 ounces Swiss chard or spinach, well washed, stemmed, and
      chopped

      1. Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Add the onion and saute over
      medium-low heat until translucent.
      2. Add the garlic ad tempeh bacon and saute, stirring frequently, until
      everything is golden and just beginning to brown lightly.
      3. Stir in the black-eyed peas, apple, and barbecue sauce. Cook over
      medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until the sauce is reduced.
      4. Add the greens and cover unt
      il wilted. Stir the greens, then cook for another 2 minutes or so for
      the spinach, or 4 minutes for the chard, until tender but still bright
      green. Serve at once.

      Variation: This is also wonderful with kale, but it needs more cooking
      time than chard or spinach. Start steaming it seperately just before
      starting the dish; once cooked to your liking, stir it in at the end.

      4 to 6 servings

      GREAT GRATED VEGGIES WITH TAHINI DRESSING

      "Here's another good way to utilize root vegetables raw; the dressing
      adds a rich, delicious flavor."

      Dressing

      1 1/2 T tahini (sesame paste)
      2 to 3 T lemon juice, to taste
      1 T agave nectar [or other sweetner]
      2 T vegan mayonnaise
      1 T minced fresh dill or 1/4 t dried

      4 cups grated raw vegetables (use a combination of trimmed and peeled
      broccoli stems, carrots, turnip, jicama, golden beets, and daikon radish
      --- choose 2 or 3)

      Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

      1. Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together.
      2. Place the grated vegetables and dressing in a serving bowl, toss
      until completely combined. Season with salt and pepper and toss again.
      Serve at once."

      6 Servings

      DENSE AND FRUITY BANANA BREAD

      "Wholesome and seductive all at once, this dark bread can be made in a
      flash. It's wonderful with tea as a dessert or as a breakfast bread."

      Oil for pan
      2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
      1 1/2 t baking powder
      1 t baking soda
      1/3 c natural granulated sugar
      3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
      Pinch of ground nutmeg
      2 medium very ripe bananas, well mashed
      1/2 cup applesauce or apple butter
      2 T safflower oil [optional]
      1/3 cup rice milk or soymilk, or as needed
      3/4 cup finely chopped dates or dried apricots
      1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional

      1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9" by 5" by 3-inch
      loaf pan.
      2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cocoa, and
      nutmeg in a mixing bowl and stir together.
      3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the bananas,
      applesauce, oil, and enough rice milk to make a smooth, slightly stiff
      batter. Stir until thoroughly mixed, then stir in the dates and
      optional walnuts.
      4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes,
      or until the top is firm and a knife inserted into the center tests
      clean. When cool enough to handle, carefully remove the bread from the
      pan, place it on a rack or platter, and allow it to cool until just warm
      before slicing.

      Makes one 9-inch loaf

      Nava's Website: "In a Vegetarian Kitchen:"
      http://vegkitchen.com/

      "Vegan Express: Featuring 160 Recipes for Quick, Delicious, and Healthy
      Meals," 2008: Broadway Books: ISBN: 978-0-7679-2617-1

      *03: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      "OUTRAGE AT EU MOVES TO FEED ANIMAL REMAINS TO CHICKENS:" (05/04/08):
      "The European Union is preparing plans to allow pig remains to be used
      to feed poultry. The practice - banned in Europe after the BSE crisis 10
      years ago - would save farmers millions of pounds as prices of cereal
      feed for chickens soar, say officials in Brussels. But the proposal has
      outraged animal rights campaigners, Muslim organisations and other
      groups. They claim the move would put families at risk, offend religious
      sensibilities and lead to a major consumer backlash... In 1994, at the
      height of the BSE crisis, the EU banned the use of animal remains for
      farm feedstuffs but under its transmissible spongiform encephalopathies
      (TSE) road map, published in 2005, outlined proposals that in future
      some bans might be relaxed... The proposal was backed by Philip Comer,
      of DNV Consulting, a former risk assessment adviser for the Food
      Standards Agency. 'The by-products of slaughter are a very valuable
      source of protein,' he said. 'We should not be wasting it."

      [From:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/04/foodtech.food

      "NEW NEUROLOGICAL DISEASE INFECTING PIG PROCESSING PLANT WORKERS:"
      (05/25/08): "We now have a new horrible disease brought by the same
      insane meat-raising industry that brought Mad Cow Disease and
      Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, both implicated from the brains of sheep and
      cattle. It's known by two terms, Progressive Inflammatory Neuropathy and
      Immune Polyradiculoneuropathy (IPR). Neither is really a name, but more
      of a description. They indicate that the disease involves inflammation
      of the spinal cord, has multiple neurological symptoms, gets worse, and
      affects the immune system. Symptoms are remarkably similar to multiple
      sclerosis and arachnoiditis. They include pain, especially in the legs,
      weakness, fatigue, and sensory disturbances. All of the victims are
      employees in pork slaughtering plants. They harvest pig brains by
      blowing them out of the heads with compressed-air guns. Yes, harvest is
      the term used. It's believed that aerosolized pig brains, which are
      breathed in by the workers, are the cause. At this point, there is no
      explanation of what it is in pig's brains that cause such symptoms..."

      [From the well-referenced and footnotes article at:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_12352.cfm

      "REPORT COMPARES COSTS OF ANIMAL DISEASE OUTBREAK:" (06/21/08):
      "According to a report released Friday, June 20, 2008, by the Department
      of Homeland Security the economic risk of an outbreak of foot-and-mouth
      disease could surpass $4 billion if the current U.S. research lab on
      Plum Island, N.Y., was moved to the U.S. mainland, near livestock herds
      in Kansas or Texas, two options the Bush administration is
      considering... The government acknowledged that an outbreak of one of
      the most contagious animal diseases from any of five locations being
      considered for a new high-security laboratory — an event it
      considered highly unlikely — would be more devastating to the U.S.
      economy than an outbreak from the isolated island lab where such
      research is now conducted... The five locations the U.S. is considering
      are Athens, Ga.; Manhattan, Kan.; Butner, N.C.; San Antonio; and Flora,
      Miss. ...A simulated outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease — part of an
      earlier U.S. government exercise called "Crimson Sky" — ended with
      fictional riots in the streets after the simulation's National Guardsmen
      were ordered to kill tens of millions of farm animals, so many that
      troops ran out of bullets. In the exercise, the government said it would
      have been forced to dig a ditch in Kansas 25 miles long to bury
      carcasses..."

      [From:
      http://wire.jacksonville.com/pstories/20080621/293463099.shtml

      "DISEASE-CAUSING PROTEINS CAN EVADE SEWAGE TREATMENT PROCEDURES:"
      (07/01/08): "Prions, the infective particles behind diseases such as
      bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), can breach standard sewage
      treatment methods, new research shows. The discovery raises the
      possibility that the rogue proteins, which are infamously hard to
      detect, can jump one of the most important barriers that safeguard human
      health."

      [From the "pay only" article at:
      http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080701/full/news.2008.926.html

      "$7B MAD COW DISEASE LAWSUIT CAN PROCEED: CANADA'S TOP COURT:"
      (07/17/08): "The Supreme Court of Canada cleared the way Thursday for a
      proposed multibillion-dollar class action lawsuit on behalf of some
      100,000 cattle farmers hurt by the 2003 mad cow disease scare. The
      country's top court has refused to hear an appeal by the federal
      government and Winnipeg-based feed company Ridley Canada, which both
      sought to derail the lawsuit... At issue is whether farmers who suffered
      economic losses as a result of the 2003 border closure over
      BSE-contaminated cattle could sue for what they argue was negligent
      regulatory policy... There have been at least eight cases of mad cow
      disease in Canadian cattle since 2003, resulting in beef export bans and
      the slaughter of thousands of cattle..."

      [From:
      http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/07/17/supcourt-madcow.html

      "FARMERS PLEASED MONSANTO IS GETTING OUT OF COW HORMONE BUSINESS:"
      (08/22/08): "A group of Ontario farmers is claiming victory after
      Monsanto Co. agreed to sell its Posilac brand of synthetic cow hormones
      to drug maker Eli Lilly and Co. for $300 million... Monsanto, an
      agricultural chemical company, announced the sale on Wednesday. It said
      the Posilac brand will become part of Lilly's Elanco animal health unit.
      Posilac is the trade name of recombinant bovine somatotropin, or rBST, a
      hormone that increases milk production in cows. Monsanto has called it
      the leading dairy animal supplement in the U.S., with more than half a
      billion units used by dairy farmers since the product was approved for
      use in the U.S. in 1994..."

      [From:
      http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/08/22/monsanto-sale.html

      "COW BRAINS, SPINAL CORDS TO BE BANNED FROM PET FOOD IN 2009:"
      (10/15/08): "Effective April 23, 2009, the FDA has banned a series of
      cattle products from all animal feed and pet food in attempt to prevent
      the spread of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), also known as mad
      cow disease... Federal regulations already prohibit using ruminant
      protein as part of the feed given to other ruminants. These measures
      were instituted in the United States and Canada in 1997, after a mad cow
      outbreak in the United Kingdom... Ruminants are animals that chew their
      cud, such as cows, sheep and goats. Other U.S. protections against mad
      cow disease include a partial ban on slaughtering cattle that cannot
      stand, which are more likely to be infected with BSE, and a requirement
      that meatpackers remove the spine and brain from all slaughtered
      animals. These are the body parts most likely to carry mad-cow-causing
      prions..."

      [From:
      http://www.naturalnews.com/024489.html

      "ETHICAL DILEMMA AS VCJD TEST 'COULD BE AVAILABLE IN 18 MONTHS':"
      (10/20/08): "Dilemma: vCJD is currently untreatable and patients may
      not even develop symptoms in their lifetime... A test to identify
      carriers of the human form of mad cow disease could be available within
      18 months, scientists claim. The test would have to be available
      through GPs' surgeries to those who suspected they might be at higher
      risk of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. However, it raises the
      ethical dilemma of offering patients a test for a condition that is
      currently untreatable and may not lead to full-blown symptoms during
      their lifetime. It might also be used to screen patients to protect NHS
      staff carrying out invasive procedures such as surgery... The BSE
      outbreak in the 1980s led to mass slaughter of cattle to stop it from
      spreading. However, it is feared thousands more could be harbouring the
      infection, which experts believe was transmitted from cattle infected
      with BSE via food in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Depending in the
      incubation period and an individual's genetic susceptibility, it could
      be years before the disease progresses..."

      [From:
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1079182/Ethical-dilemma-scient\
      ists-reveal-vCJD-test-available-18-months.html

      "14 CASES OF 'MAD COW DISEASE' FOUND IN NI HERDS:" (11/04/08):
      "Fourteen cases of `mad cow disease' were picked up in Northern
      Ireland cattle last year through government surveillance programmes.
      Another three cases of bovine spongiform encephalopathy — or BSE
      — have since been confirmed in fallen cattle in Northern Ireland
      this year. All cases were found in cattle over 48 months of age, the
      Department of Agriculture said..."

      [From:
      http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/14-cases-of-mad-cow-d\
      isease-found-in-ni-herds-14032346.html

      "UNDENIABLE PROOF THE FDA ALLOWS PET FOOD TO BREAK THE LAW:"
      (11/06/08): "The FDA website, on a page regarding pet foods, proudly
      cites the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act). With reading just a
      few of the FD&C Act laws, and a little reading on the FDA website, there
      is absolute proof that the FDA ignores Federal Law. It´s time for pet
      owners to take this proof to the FDA´s boss – Congress... Quoting
      the FDA webpage titled ´Pet Food´: "The Federal Food, Drug, and
      Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) requires that pet foods, like human foods, be pure
      and wholesome, safe to eat, produced under sanitary conditions, contain
      no harmful substances, and be truthfully labeled." Federal law requires
      it, but the FDA ignores it; choosing to protect the interests of
      business and industry instead of abiding by the law and protecting our
      pets... Federal law does NOT allow into ANY food, a diseased animal or
      animal that has died other than by slaughter – regardless if the
      food or food ingredient is processed or not..."

      [Taking Action for Pets:
      http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/pages/We-are-Changing-Pet-Food.html

      [From the very long and well-referenced artlcle at:
      http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/80288

      "MAD-COW CROPS UP IN CANADIAN DAIRY HERD, 15TH CASE:" (11/17/08):
      "Canada confirmed the 15th case of mad-cow disease discovered in the
      country since May 2003, this time in a dairy cow from British Columbia.
      No part of the seven-year-old cow got into systems that produce food for
      consumption by either people or animals, the Canadian Food Inspection
      Agency said today in a statement. The agency has identified where the
      animal was born and is looking for the source of its disease, the
      statement said..."

      [From:
      http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aG0KdKYmyEuE&refer=c\
      anada#

      "NEW MAD-COW RULE POSES HEALTH DANGERS OF ITS OWN:" (11/21/08): "A
      federal regulation aimed at preventing mad cow disease from getting into
      the food supply could create health risks of its own: many thousands of
      cattle carcasses rotting on farms, spreading germs, attracting vermin
      and polluting the water. At issue is a Food and Drug Administration
      rule, set to take effect in April, that will prohibit the use of the
      brains and spinal cords of older cattle as ingredients in livestock feed
      and pet food. Some of the rendering plants that grind up carcasses for
      use in feed have already announced they will stop accepting dead cattle
      from farms because it would be too costly to remove the banned organs.
      Other renderers are likely to raise the prices they charge farmers. As
      a result, many farmers - especially now, with the economy in crisis -
      may simply bury dead cattle on their property or let them rot in the
      open, industry officials and regulators say... Farmers already routinely
      bury, abandon or compost millions of cattle carcasses each year without
      serious environmental problems, according to the FDA... For decades,
      farmers have sent their dead cows to rendering plants to be turned into
      pet food, soaps, cosmetics, toothpaste, lubricants and other products.
      The carcasses are ground to a uniform particle size, heated under
      pressure to separate fat, protein and bone, and then refined..."

      [From:
      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008420494_aprottingca\
      ttle.html

      *04: Missing Oil/Esselstyn/Western Diet & HD/Prevent Alz.>Eat Less
      "ESSELSTYN ESPOUSES A NONINVASIVE CURE FOR HEART DISEASE:" (06/09/08):
      "Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr. has no qualms about stepping inside the
      nation's No. 1 heart hospital and dishing on angioplasty. Invasive
      treatment is a mainstay of cardiac care, and it pays the bills. It's
      also what's wrong with medicine, says the retired Cleveland Clinic
      surgeon who has been affiliated with the hospital for 40 years.
      Esselstyn has turned his life's work to demonstrating that heart disease
      doesn't need to exist in the first place. And if it does, it can be
      reversed. The remedy is a plant-based diet, he says. Learn to live with
      no meat, no fish, no dairy or oils of any kind, and make yourself
      "heart-attack proof..."

      [From the excellent article and long interview at:
      http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2008/06/exsurgeon_caldwell_\
      esselstyn_e.html

      "I'M GOING TO MISS MY OLIVE OIL - WHO KNEW IT WASN'T SO HEALTHY AFTER
      ALL? DRS. ESSELSTYN, ORNISH, VOGEL & RUDEL DID:" (07/04/08): "...Back
      in 2000 Vogel based his study on the Lyon Heart Study, which is the
      big-time study that got us all to eat the Mediterranean Diet. He wanted
      to see how olive oil, salmon (fish oil) and canola oil actually affect
      the blood vessels. Using the brachial artery tourniquet test he had 10
      healthy volunteers with normal cholesterol ingest 50 grams of fat, in
      the form of olive oil & bread, canola oil & bread, and salmon... the
      olive oil constricted blood flow by a whopping 31% after the meal; the
      canola oil constricted it by 10%; and the salmon reduced it by only 2%.
      Why should we care? Because when the arteries constrict, the
      endothelium (the vessel's lining) is injured, triggering plaque
      build-up, or atherosclerosis..."

      [From the well-written, summarized, and documented with links, blog post
      at:
      http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/2008/07/im-g\
      oing-to-miss-my-olive-oil---who-knew-it-wasnt-so-healthy-after-all-drs-e\
      sselstyn-ornish-vogel-rudel-did.html

      "WESTERN DIET 'RAISES HEART RISK:" (10/21/08): "Swapping fried and
      salty foods for salads could cut the global incidence of heart attacks
      by a third, a study of eating habits suggests. Researchers analysed the
      diet of 16,000 people in 52 countries and identified three global eating
      patterns, Circulation journal reports. The typical Western diet, high
      in fat, salt and meat, accounted for about 30% of heart attack risk in
      any population. A "prudent" diet high in fruit and veg lowered heart
      risk by a third..."

      [From:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7680283.stm

      "WANT TO PREVENT ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE? EAT LESS!:" (10/15/08): "...
      A review published in the Nov 2008 issue of Current Opinion in Clinical
      Nutrition and Metabolic Care suggests,.. that by restricting your intake
      of calories, a practice known as caloric restriction, you may not have
      to contract Alzheimer's disease in the first place. The authors say in
      their report that "it has been proven that caloric restriction prevents
      age-related neuronal damage." The only thing that remians uncertain
      is how caloric restriction affects brain functions. They predict there
      might be a possibility in the future that this dietary practice will be
      proposed to prevent or even to treat neurodegenerative disorders such as
      Alzheimer's disease... Alzheimer's disease affects an estimated 4.5
      million Americans, according to the U.S. National Institutes of Health.
      About 5 percent of people ages 65 to 74 and almost half of those ages 85
      suffer the disease."

      [From:
      http://foodconsumer.org/7777/8888/G_eneral_H_ealth_34/101506092008_Want_\
      to_prevent_Alzheimer_s_disease_Eat_less.shtml

      *05: Your H2O Footprint/Cuba Ag./Eat Politics/10 Reasons Local Food
      "CALCULATE YOUR WATER FOOTPRINT:" (2008): "People use lots of water
      for drinking, cooking and washing, but even more for producing things
      such as food, paper, cotton clothes, etc. The water footprint is an
      indicator of water use that looks at both direct and indirect water use
      of a consumer or producer. The water footprint of an individual,
      community or business is defined as the total volume of freshwater that
      is used to produce the goods and services consumed by the individual or
      community or produced by the business... The interest in the water
      footprint is rooted in the recognition that human impacts on freshwater
      systems can ultimately be linked to human consumption, and that issues
      like water shortages and pollution can be better understood and
      addressed by considering production and supply chains as a whole..."

      [Check out the interactive quick and detailed calculators, explanations
      at:
      http://www.waterfootprint.org/index.php?page=files/WaterFootprintCalcula\
      tor

      "CUBA'S URBAN-AG MIRACLE:" (06/10/08): "The story is legendary in
      peak-oil circles: Twenty years ago, the Soviet Union pulled the plug on
      Cuba's cheap-energy, cheap-food era. No longer would the fading
      superpower accept the tiny island nation's sugar as payment for crude
      oil. From then on, only hard currency would do. It also halted food aid.
      In short order, gas and food prices spiked and people's living standards
      tumbled. Next, a widespread shift from cars to bikes, and an explosion
      in community gardening. Cuba's urban farming program has been a
      stunning, and surprising, success. The farms, many of them on tiny plots
      ... now supply much of Cuba's vegetables. They also provide 350,000 jobs
      nationwide with relatively high pay and have transformed eating habits
      in a nation accustomed to a less-than-ideal diet of rice and beans and
      canned goods from Eastern Europe. Note that what's happening here is
      something I'm always talking about: small-scale agriculture as not only
      producer of a diverse food supply, but also as economic engine... CBS
      reports that of Cuba's 11 million people, 300,000 directly work in
      organic farming. That's 2.7 percent. In the United States, fewer than 2
      percent work in farming at all, and only a tiny fraction are organic..."

      [From the interesting article with some good links at:
      http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2008/6/10/81342/7941?source=daily

      [And check out this related Project with video and other resources about
      Cuba's success:
      http://www.powerofcommunity.org/cm/index.php

      "EATING IS A POLITICAL ACT:" (11/12/08): "Michael Pollan has got
      people talking. His recent books, The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural
      History of Four Meals and In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, have
      captured the public imagination, setting off countless coffee shop
      discussions, dinnertime arguments, and oh-so-many blog posts... Pollan
      has taken Wendell Berry's memorable phrase "eating is an agricultural
      act" one step further. "It's a political act as well," Pollan advises.
      A lot of people agree. The alternative food movement -- organic farming,
      local food systems, sustainable agriculture, and more -- is burgeoning
      today because, one family at a time, consumers are backing away from the
      global food network. Instead, they patronize farmers' markets, buy food
      shares from CSA (community-supported agriculture) farms, and favor
      grocers who sell local meat and produce...

      Michael Pollan: "If people could see how their food is produced, they
      would change how they eat...I visited an industrialized potato farm in
      Idaho and saw how freely pesticides were used. The farmers had little
      patches of potatoes by their houses that were organic. They couldn't eat
      their field potatoes out of the ground because they had so many systemic
      pesticides. They had to be stored for six months to off-gas the
      toxins... One of the powerful things about the food issue is that people
      feel empowered by it. There are so many areas of our life where we feel
      powerless to change things, but your eating issues are really primal.
      You decide every day what you're going to put in your body -- and what
      you refuse to put in your body. That's politics at its most basic."

      [From very long and interesting interview at:
      http://www.truthabouttrade.org/content/view/12729/54/

      "TEN REASONS TO BUY LOCAL FOOD:" (10/14/08): "1. Locally grown food
      tastes better... 2. Local produce is better for you... 3. Local food
      preserves genetic diversity... 4. Local food is GMO-free... 5. Local
      food supports local farm families... 6. Local food builds a stronger
      community... 7. Local food preserves open space... 8. Local food helps
      to keep your taxes in check... 9. Local food supports a clean
      environment and benefits wildlife... 10. Local food is about the future.
      By supporting local farmers today, you can help ensure that there will
      be farms in your community tomorrow so that future generations will have
      access to nourishing, flavorful, and abundant food."

      [From the Full List with much more explanation at:
      http://www.greenrightnow.com/kvue/2008/10/14/ten-reasons-to-buy-local-fo\
      od/

      *06: Vegan Digital Theater Showcase
      ["Welcome to Veggie Vision! The internet TV station showing play on
      demand mini programmes 24/7 - channels available include cookery,
      celebs, information - with much more on its way. "
      http://www.veggievision.co.uk/

      [Amazing audio interview with owner Prof. Irene Pepperberg, from Fresh
      Air, 11/1208: "Although his brain was no bigger than a walnut, Alex the
      African gray parrot could do more than speak and understand — he
      could also count, identify colors and, according to his owner... develop
      an emotional relationship. When Alex died in September 2007, his last
      words to Pepperberg were "You be good. I love you."
      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96897162

      [An 8 minute video showing Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn lecturing about how 90
      percent of heart attacks are caused (endothelium compromised via added
      dietary fat). Very compelling in describing the mechanism:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNeWCvLZaFM

      [A superb audio interview/discussion (around 50 minutes) with Dr.
      Esselstyn. He covers "moderation," the olive oil issue, Omegas,
      genetics, the cause of 90% of heart attacks (plaque), how they can occur
      unexpectedly, dairy, phytonutrients, and more. Some of the callers
      report their results from following Essy's recommendations:
      http://www.wcpn.org/index.php/WCPN/soi/12423/

      [Video of Charlie Rose interviewing Dr. Dean Ornish (25 minutes, 1st
      half):
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dh0EzaI94I

      [Indoor gardening tips from a man very scared of plants:
      http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/googly-eyes-gardener/\
      237389/

      [The Vegan Zombie T-Shirt:
      http://www.threadless.com/submission/170537/Vegan_Zombie

      [Veg4Earth Petitions:
      http://veg4earth.org/

      *07: 10 Veg Reasons/? Many Veg'ns/Aging & Diet/The Ultra Veg
      "7.3 MILLION AMERICANS ARE VEGETARIANS:" (2008): "The just-released
      "Vegetarianism in America" study, published by Vegetarian
      Times... shows that 3.2 percent of U.S. adults, or 7.3 million people,
      follow a vegetarian-based diet. Approximately 0.5 percent, or 1 million,
      of those are vegans, who consume no animal products at all. In addition,
      10 percent of U.S., adults, or 22.8 million people, say they largely
      follow a vegetarian-inclined diet. Data for this survey were collected
      by the Harris Interactive Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times.
      The poll surveyed 5,050 respondents, a statistically representative
      sample of the total U.S. population. Vegetarian Times commissioned RRC
      Associates, a research firm in Boulder, Colo., to perform the data
      analysis. The 2008 study also indicates that of the non-vegetarians
      surveyed 5.2 percent, or 11.9 million people, are "definitely
      interested" in following a vegetarian-based diet in the future...
      The 2008 study also indicated that over half (53 percent) of current
      vegetarians eat a vegetarian diet to improve their overall health.
      Environmental concerns were cited by 47 percent ; 39 percent cited "
      natural approaches to wellness" ; 31 percent cited food-safety
      concerns; 54 percent cited animal welfare; 25 percent cited weight loss;
      and 24 percent weight maintenance..."

      [From the article with more stats from the survey at:
      http://www.vegetariantimes.com/features/archive_of_editorial/667

      "TOP TEN REASONS TO GO VEGETARIAN:" (05/17/08): "...PETA's picks
      for the top 10 reasons to give vegetarian eating a try... 1. Helping
      Animals Also Helps the Global Poor... 2. Eating Meat Supports Cruelty to
      Animals... 3. Eating Meat Is Bad for the Environment... 4. Avoid Bird
      Flu... 5. If You Wouldn't Eat a Dog, You Shouldn't Eat a
      Chicken... 6. Heart Disease: Our Number One Killer... 7. Cancer: Our
      Number Two Killer... 8. Fitting Into That Itty-Bitty Bikini... 9. Global
      Peace... 10. The Joy of Veggies...

      As the growing range of vegetarian cookbooks and restaurants shows,
      vegetarian foods rock. People report that when they adopt a vegetarian
      diet, their range of foods explodes from a center-of-the-plate meat item
      to a range of grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables that they
      didn't even know existed..."

      [From the great list with more explanation and some good statistics at:
      http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/05/17/9018/

      "PLANT-BASED DIET HELPS REDUCE PREMATURE AGING AND DISEASE RISK:"
      (09/16/08): "In a study released today by The Lancet Oncology, Dean
      Ornish, M.D., and colleagues found that comprehensive lifestyle changes,
      including a low-fat vegan diet, increase the body's ability to fight
      premature aging, cancer, heart disease, and other chronic diseases.
      Twenty-four men participating in a prostate cancer study switched to a
      plant-based diet and added daily exercise and relaxation techniques.
      Among other beneficial effects that were previously reported, the
      intervention led to increased levels of telomerase, an enzyme that
      protects and repairs DNA. Blood levels of telomerase increased by an
      average of 29 percent during the study..."

      [From:
      http://www.pcrm.org/news/archive080916.html

      [Here's a link to a summary of the study where it's noted: "...Telomere
      shortness in human beings is emerging as a prognostic marker of disease
      risk, progression, and premature mortality in many types of cancer,
      including breast, prostate, colorectal, bladder, head and neck, lung,
      and renal cell...:"
      http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470204508702341/ab\
      stract?isEOP=true

      "THE ULTRA VEGAN: SCOTT JUREK INTERVIEWED: " (2008): "... He told me
      he had been in California competing in a race. "Oh, and how did it
      go?" I replied off-handedly. "I won," he said matter of
      factly. `Wow," I said with surprise, "that's
      great"... "What kind of race was it?"... "It's an
      ultra marathon" he clarified. "So that's like 50 miles
      right?" I asked slightly incredulously. "... this race was 100
      miles," he explained. "100 miles…and you won?" I gasped
      dumbfounded..."

      "... Not only was the Western States 100 considered the most prestigious
      ultra marathon in the world, but it's also the oldest and most
      difficult. It starts in Lake Tahoe and goes west over the Sierra
      Mountain Range ending outside Sacramento via 100 miles of mostly rugged
      trails through high elevations and soaring temperatures... the real
      shocker... Scott Jurek has won the race every year for the last five
      years in a row! At the age of 29 Scott is already a legend in the world
      of ultra marathons..."

      "[Scott:]... The turning point came when some friends lent me the book
      Mad Cowboy, by Howard F. Lyman. This book really opened my eyes to the
      factory farming nightmare and how unhealthy it was for me, the animals,
      and the environment. I was so inspired after reading this book that I
      committed to cutting out all animal products from my diet from that
      point on..."

      [From the long and excellent interview at:
      http://www.samadhi-yoga.com/jai/yoglif.htm#1

      March 13-15 Green Lifestyle Festival Los Angles, CA
      www.rawlifestylefilmfestival.com 310-928-2078

      June 7th Institute for Integrative Nutrition New York City, NY
      646-633-4065

      July 8-12 Summerfest Johnstown PA

      August 21-23 5th Annual Vibrant Living Expo
      Fort Bragg, CA
      info@...
      707-964-2420

      [More information/embedded links for contact information at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *10: Quick Bytes
      AGRICULTURE:

      [Useful resource and for networking:
      http://www.kitchengardeners.org/

      [SUPERB CSA (community supported agriculture) interactive resource:"
      http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/csa/

      BLOGS/PODCASTS:

      ["Organic Consumers: Read, Blog & Meet-up!:"
      http://organicconsumers.org/chat/index.php

      [The Mad Cowboy Newsletter Editor's Vegan Blog:
      http://www.soulveggie.com

      [Podcasts, radio:
      http://www.veganradio.com/

      ["The FatFreeVegan Blog:"
      http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

      [Bryanna Clark Grogan's Blog:
      http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/

      ["Raw Vegan Blog and Podcasts:"
      http://www.rawveganradio.blogspot.com/

      ["Recommended Blogs & Websites for Food & Farming Information:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/2006/article_563.cfm

      [Vegan Planet (Robin Robertson) - cooking and vegan recipes:
      http://veganplanet.blogspot.com/

      NEWSLETTERS/GROUPS/LISTS/FORUMS:

      [Farmed Animal Net:
      http://www.farmedanimal.net/

      [VegNews Monthly Newsletter:
      http://www.vegnews.com

      [FARMUSA's MeatOut Monday Newsletter:
      http://meatoutmondays.org

      [PCRM Membership News and Info:
      Send e-mail to: membership@...

      [Vegetarians In Paradise Newsletter:
      http://www.vegparadise.com

      [International Vegetarian Union Newsletter:
      http://www.ivu.org/news/index.html

      ["International Organization for Animal Protection:"
      http://www.oipa.org/

      ["VeggieBoards:"
      http://www.veggieboards.com

      RECIPES:

      [Over 10,000 veg'n recipe links:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VegRecipes.html

      ["Over 1,000 International (regional) Vegetarian Recipes:"
      http://www.ivu.org/recipes/regions.html

      [PCRM Recipe Archives:
      http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/recipe_archive.html

      [Almost 2,000 searchable fat-free veg'n recipes:
      http://www.fatfree.com

      [Award-winning searchable veg'n recipe database:
      http://vegweb.com/

      [Constantly wonderful site of vegan recipes:
      http://www.fatfreevegan.com/

      VEGAN

      [Nana's Vegan Cookies online!:
      http://www.healthycrowd.com/

      [New Book! "Metamorphosis: Poems to Inspire Transformation:"
      http://www.veganpoet.com/

      *11: Closing Thoughts
      "...genes load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger..."

      [Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, June 25, 2008 in Audio Interview at:
      http://www.wcpn.org/index.php/WCPN/soi/12423/

      "Let me be clear: there are plenty of lousy vegetarian and vegan diets
      out there. Any diet high in refined sugar, salt, or oil is a lousy
      diet, whether vegan or not. White flour products may be vegan, but they
      are nutritionally vacant. Hydrogenated margarine is an artery-clogging
      alternative to artery-clogging butter, and ought to be avoided with
      vigilance. Too many vegetarians and vegans pat themselves on the back
      for what they're not eating, and pay too little attention to what they
      do eat."

      --- Howard Lyman ("No More Bull!" p. 81)