04_28_08: New Howard DVD, Peak Soil! Mostly Plants

  • soulveggie
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 11:00 AM
      Howdy! Welcome to the 62nd issue of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter.

      We're proud as peacocks to announce a new DVD from Howard: "A Mad
      Cowboy Lecture: 2007." More details below!

      Due to all the material about the HSUS investigation/video and meat
      recall in "Mad Cow Info Round-Up", we've suspended the "Avian Flu
      News" section for this edition. But, as you read further, you'll
      learn about Peak Soil!, Edible Estates, more studies on the disease
      preventative effects of veggies and fruits, and newly deceased Earl
      Butz's legacy to our country's food production "system."

      Continuing: PETA's announced this year's "Proggy Awards," Bob Barker
      has made an amazing gift to further studies of animal issues, there's
      a neat post about recession-proofing your diet, news about Michael
      Pollen's latest book, and don't miss the recipes from the excellent
      "Vegan Fire & Spice" as well as the videos of the vegetarian 2007
      Nobel Prize winner's speech, Doreen the Downer Cow, the Vegetable
      Orchestra, and Wayne Pacelle (Pres., HSUS) being interviewed.

      ... as always, a tip of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all can
      read past issues of the newsletter at:

      Happy Spring and get those gardens growing!

      Mark, MC editor/webmaster

      [personal vegan blog:
      http://www.soulveggie.com

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quote(s) from Howard
      01: New DVD from Howard! Trailers OnLine!
      03: Recipes from a New Vegan Cookbook: "Fire & Spice"
      04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      05: Veggies: Reducing 2 Cancers, Heart Disease, Blood Pressure
      06: Peak Soil!, Edible Estates, Butz Legacy, Farm Emission Rules
      07: Vegan Digital Theater Showcase
      08: PETA Awards, Bob's Gift, Recession-proof Diet, Mostly Plants
      09: Howard's Schedule
      10: Quick Bytes
      11: Closing Thoughts

      *00: Quote(s) from Howard
      "Every great event that has ever happened in the world always started
      in one mind. This movement we have today of changing the way people
      eat is nothing compared to abolishing slavery, or giving women the
      right to vote. You look at all of those movements, the civil rights
      movement, how difficult they were --- and we want to say "this is too
      tough for us?" I don't think so. I think it's all about saying "I
      can't do everything, but I can do something. I can start today." And
      I understand that the fork is the most dangerous weapon in the arsenal
      of the Homo Sapien --- we're digging more graves with our fork than
      any other tool. So join with me. Let's go change the world --- one
      bite at a time, and let's start today."

      --- Howard Lyman, in "The Mad Cowboy Lecture: 2007" DVD

      *01: New DVD from Howard! Trailers OnLine!
      "Filmed up close and personal with 3 cameras in 2007, this is The Mad
      Cowboy at his dynamic best in front of a live audience.
      Thought-provoking, challenging, informative, amusing, and passionate,
      4th generation cattle rancher and vegan Howard Lyman speaks out about
      his life, current events, diet, health, nutrition, the landmark trial,
      Mad Cow disease, activism, and our environment."

      --- from the DVD's back cover

      [You can read more about the DVD and see the first six minutes of the
      DVD's main video as two 3 minute YouTube Trailers now available at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com

      Planet organic cotton shopping bag)! Both supplied the correct answer
      (d) 90% and won the luck of the draw.

      ["Currently, a person in the Western world has a greater than 90%
      lifetime risk of developing high blood pressure or hypertension.":
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6949526.stm

      THIS WEEK'S VEGAN MIND-BENDER:
      "Wheat, corn, and other grains represent what percentage of what is
      consumed by farmed animals in the United States?

      (a) 60% (b) 70% (c) 80% (d) 90% (e) way too much

      Please e-mail guesses to: webmaster@... with the word
      "contest" in your subject line by NLT May. 20th, 2008. Please include
      your name and address (U.S. domestic only). It will not be sold nor
      given out to anyone but VegNews and Ethical Planet for the freebies only.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting
      the correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to
      Joe, and you can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call
      1.415.665.6397]

      [Many thanks, also, to Fran Horvath, of Ethical Planet for offering a
      FREE organic cotton shopping bag to the 2nd place winner. You can
      learn more about her online (and offline) stores at:

      http://www.ethicalplanet.com

      *03: Recipes from a New Vegan Cookbook: "Fire & Spice"
      ""Vegan Fire & Spice" is like a trip around the world without leaving
      home. This culinary travel guide belongs in every kitchen and you
      don't have to stand in line to clear security."

      – Howard Lyman

      LIME-MARINATED WHITE BEAN SALAD (serves 4)

      "Known as seviche or ceviche, this lime-marinated salad from Peru is
      traditionally made with raw fish or scallops, but cannellini or other
      white beans are also well suited to the zesty marinade."

      1 1/2 cups cooked or 1 (15.5-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
      1/4 cup fresh lime juice
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon cayenne
      1 large ripe tomato, chopped
      2 teaspoons minced parsley
      1 scallion, minced
      2 teaspoons chopped capers
      2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup olive oil (to taste)
      1/2 teaspoon sugar, or natural sweetener
      4 cups torn salad greens

      Place the beans in a shallow bowl with 2 tablespoons of the lime
      juice, the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the cayenne, and toss gently to
      coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour.

      In a bowl, combine the tomato, parsley, scallion, capers, olive oil,
      the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice, sugar, and the remaining
      1/8 teaspoon cayenne and stir until well blended. Arrange the salad
      greens on small salad plates. Place the bean mixture on top of the
      lettuce and drizzle with the dressing."

      WEST AFRICAN SPINACH WITH SPICY PEANUT SAUCE (serves 4)

      "Dishes flavored with peanuts and spiced with chiles are found
      throughout West Africa. This spinach dish is typical and delicious
      served over rice or couscous..." [edited]

      1 pound fresh spinach, stemmed
      1 tablespoon cold-pressed canola oil
      1 small yellow onion, chopped
      2 garlic cloves, minced
      2 fresh hot chiles, seeded and minced
      1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
      1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
      Salt

      Steam the spinach over boiling water, until wilted, about 2 minutes.
      Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Chop the sinach and set aside.

      Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic,
      and chiles. Cover and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in
      the tomatoes and peanut butter and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to
      make a sauce. Add a little water if the mixture is too dry. Add the
      reserved spinach and cook, stirring, until hot. Season with salt to
      taste."

      [More info about and recipes from "Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory
      Global Recipes:"
      http://www.robinrobertson.com/vegan_fire_and_spice2.htm

      [Robin's blog:
      http://veganplanet.blogspot.com/

      [Recent digital audio interview with Eric Marcus:
      http://www.vegan.com/vegtalk/2008/vegtalk-2008-03-27.mp3

      *04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      "NEW VCJD CASE RAISES FEAR OF MAD COW DISEASE RESURGE IN THE UK:"
      (01/03/08): "Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) has killed a 39
      year old woman in the UK and triggered renewed fears that a new surge
      of mad cow disease is on the way. However, experts are saying there is
      no need to panic and there is no evidence of a new wave of BSE or mad
      cow disease... The 160 people who died of vCJD carried the MM version
      of a gene that codes for a type of protein known as a prion... But the
      woman who recently died carried the VV version of the gene, raising
      the fear that a new type of vCJD could be emerging... This latest case
      has opened speculation that for some people there might be a longer
      incubation period, perhaps because they have a different genetic make
      up, and there could be a second wave of a new form of CJD on the way.
      There appears to be some confusion about the incubation period for
      CJD, with one study even suggesting it could be as long as 60 years."

      [Very very edited from:
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/92913.php

      "SEOUL TO LIFT BAN AGAINST U.S. BEEF IMPORTS:" (01/21/08): "The
      South Korean government may gradually lift all of its restrictions on
      U.S. beef imports despite continuing safety concerns among the public,
      the Korea Herald reported on Monday. The move is aimed at winning
      approval from the Democratic-led U.S. Congress for the S Korea-U.S.
      free trade agreement waiting to be ratified by the legislators of both
      countries, the daily said. Full reopening of South Korea's beef
      market has been cited as the key to persuading U.S legislators to pass
      the pact, which studies show would bolster trade between the two major
      trading partners..."

      [Edited from:
      http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-01/21/content_7463994.htm

      "INDONESIA TO LIFT IMPORT BAN ON U.S. BEEF:" (01/29/08): "Indonesian
      government would lift the import ban on U.S. beef later this month, a
      senior agriculture ministry official said Tuesday. The move follows
      recent audits at two slaughter houses in Minnesota, Minneapolis and
      Nebraska, Omaha, said director general of veterinary Tjeppy Soedjana.
      "We have concluded audits at the two (slaughter houses) and what left
      to be done is the health and halal certification," the official was
      quoted by leading news website Detikcom as saying. At the meantime,
      only the two slaughter houses will be allowed to sell products to
      Indonesia, he said. The government banned beef import from the United
      States in 2004 for fears of mad cow disease and has since allowed only
      New Zealand and Australia to supply beef.

      [From:
      http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-01/29/content_7521239.htm

      "UNDERCOVER INVESTIGATION REVEALS ANIMAL CRUELTY AT SLAUGHTER PLANT –
      A MAJOR BEEF SUPPLIER TO AMERICA'S SCHOOL LUNCH PROGRAM:" (01/30/08):
      "A shocking undercover investigation by The Humane Society of the
      United States reveals widespread mistreatment of "downed" dairy
      cows—those who are too sick or injured to walk—at a Southern
      California slaughter plant. The investigation at the Hallmark Meat
      Packing Co., of Chino... by an HSUS investigator shows slaughter plant
      workers displaying complete disregard for the pain and misery they
      inflicted as they repeatedly attempted to force "downed" animals onto
      their feet and into the human food chain.

      ... In releasing footage from the investigation, The HSUS demands that
      the USDA move swiftly to tighten its confusing regulations on the
      slaughter of downed cattle. Downer cows must not be used for
      food—plain and simple... The practice of slaughtering downed cows is
      especially troubling now that the link between downed cattle and
      bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), also known as mad cow disease,
      has been firmly established. Of the 15 known cases of BSE-infected
      animals discovered in North America, at least 12 involved downed
      animals...

      [Very very edited from:
      http://www.hsus.org/farm/news/ournews/undercover_investigation.html

      "MINNESOTA SCHOOLS PULL TONS OF GROUND BEEF:" (01/31/08): "Some
      Minnesota schools have set aside tons of ground beef, after state
      officials told them not to serve meat from a California company that
      allegedly allowed sick cows into its supply chain... The USDA sent 20
      tons of beef from the company to St. Paul last fall. Students, staff
      and other members of the community may have eaten as much as eight and
      a half tons of the beef since then, according to district spokesman
      Howie Padilla... "We urge state officials to follow the examples
      already set by Minnesota, Oregon and Utah to order state school
      districts to stop using beef delivered from this company," the
      society's president and CEO, Wayne Pacelle, said in a letter to state
      school officials in the 36 states that received the beef.

      [Edited from:
      http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/01/31/meat_recall/

      "AGRICULTURAL SECRETARY: TRADE NEGOTIATIONS SET BACK DUE TO BEEF
      RECALL:" (02/22/08): "U.S. Agriculture Secretary Ed Schafer said
      Friday the nation's largest beef recall has set back negotiations to
      ship U.S. beef to Japan and South Korea. Those markets closed to the
      U.S. cattle industry in 2003 after a scare over mad cow disease.
      Schafer said at a convention of meat packers and processors that he is
      hopeful trade talks will continue, but that the Westland/Hallmark Meat
      Co. recall has diplomats asking why the U.S. can't ship safe meat...
      Schafer also said Friday he is not in favor of making any immediate
      changes to meat inspection regulations in the wake of the recall... He
      said that one individual had an incentive to break the rules, but that
      the USDA meat inspection system is not broken. He said he would wait
      for an investigation into the recall to be completed before make any
      policy change recommendations."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/02/22/america/Slaughterhouse-Abuse-Trade.php

      "MORE THAN 100 NJ SCHOOLS MAY HAVE RECEIVED TAINTED BEEF:"
      (02/22/08): "More than 100 New Jersey schools participating in
      federal lunch programs are believed to have received tainted meat from
      a California meatpacker shut down after the nation's largest beef
      recall. State agriculture officials today said they are in the
      process of notifying schools -- a task complicated by the snow and
      this week's mid-winter vacations that have closed many school
      districts. Lynne Richmond, a spokeswoman for the department, said the
      schools from across the state received products -- including beef
      tacos, hamburger patties and meatballs -- from three processors in
      Pennsylvania and Ohio. Those companies, which received at least
      126,000 pounds of coarse ground beef from Hallmark/Westland Meat
      Packing Co., of Chino, Ca., between February 2006 and February 2008,
      were suppliers to New Jersey schools through the National School Lunch
      Program. The list of schools, based on information provided by the
      processors, will not be released until all the districts have been
      notified to determine if they had actually received tainted products..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/more_than_100_nj_schools_may_h.html

      "HUMANE SOCIETY INVESTIGATOR WHO SPURRED THE BIGGEST BEEF RECALL IN
      U.S. HISTORY SPEAKS TO SALON ABOUT HIS ALARMING UNDERCOVER VIDEO:"
      (02/22/08): "... In industry parlance, a cow too sick or weak to get
      to its feet and walk to its slaughter is a "downer." Wrangler, who
      guards his real name to protect his anonymity, says some trucks
      delivering old dairy cows for slaughter would arrive with feeble
      animals lying on top of each other in the back of the truck. "A lot of
      the animals weren't able to get up on their own," Wrangler recalls.
      "They're too sick or too old for whatever reason. You go and tell the
      manager, 'Hey, we've got three down on the back of the truck, what are
      we doing to do?' And his response always was, 'Get 'em up.' That was
      his mantra." Despite the USDA rule, Wrangler says, the mind-set at
      the plant was, "'We're not going to lose this cow.' They're not going
      to get the inspector..."

      ... James O. Reagan, chairman of the Beef Industry Food Safety
      Council, said in a statement. "We support USDA's recall as a
      precautionary measure. At the same time, we can say with confidence
      that the beef supply is safe." But Wayne Pacelle, president of the
      Humane Society, has his doubts. The Humane Society, he attests, had
      not been tipped off to abuses at the plant. "This plant was selected
      at random," he says. "There are 6,200 facilities across the country
      that USDA inspects. We chose this one and found egregious abuses.
      There is no way that these groups can say that everything is safe...."

      [Very edited from from the excellent, if not graphic in a few places,
      article at:
      http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/02/22/animal_cruelty/print.html

      "IMPACT OF BEEF RECALL WIDENS; SOUPS, SAUCES AFFECTED:" (02/24/08):
      "The nation's largest meat recall could grow into its largest food
      recall as companies destroy products with any amount of the 143
      million pounds of beef recalled last week. The recall's scope is
      unprecedented, says the Grocery Manufacturers of America. The value of
      foods affected — including soups, sauces, burritos and bouillon cubes
      — could run into the hundreds of millions of dollars, a senior GMA
      official says... Much of the meat has likely been eaten, the USDA
      says. But canned products may be consumed years after they're made...
      The Westland recall will test the ability of companies to track
      ingredients. Beef used by a soup maker may pass through numerous
      companies that grind, season and blend it with other products, Henry
      says. The best way for consumers to find out if their products contain
      Westland beef is to call the producer, he says. The USDA requires the
      beef products be incinerated, put in a landfill or cooked down to make
      meal not allowed in human or pet food, according to Westland."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2008-02-24-beef-recall-impact-widens_N.htm

      "143 MILLION POUNDS OF BEEF RECALLED -- WILL THE INDUSTRY FINALLY
      CHANGE?:" (02/24/08): "Maybe you're one of the more than 200,000
      people [at that date] who have seen this disturbing video revealing
      the animal cruelty caught on tape by a Humane Society investigation at
      a California slaughterhouse... let's be clear. This incident --
      including the abuse and questionable food safety of the meat from this
      slaughterhouse -- is not just a case of a few bad apples. It's the
      inevitable outcome of a system in which animal abuse and health
      concerns are predictable by-products of following the prime directive
      -- maximizing profit -- in a context of inadequate oversight... With
      pressure to keep lines moving fast, for example, workers often fail to
      completely stun animals, so that cows can be conscious during
      slaughter. And those production levels? They're soaring. Tyson, the
      largest processor in the country, slaughters 222,000 head of cattle a
      week, the equivalent of 1,321 an hour, seven days a week.

      ... How has the beef industry gotten away with such disregard for
      animal welfare, human health, and the environment? Part of the answer
      lies in the growing concentration of power within the industry. Just
      four companies -- Tyson, Cargill's Excel, Swift & Co., and National
      Beef -- now control 71 percent of the beef market. This tightening of
      control is felt throughout our political system. In the 2006 election
      cycle, the livestock industry funded lobbyists to the tune of $4.5
      million. That same year, PAC and individual contributions from the
      livestock industry topped $5 million, with the National Cattlemen's
      Beef Association PAC alone spending almost half a million dollars...

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.alternet.org/story/77659/

      [NOTE: "A line of 7,500 trucks stretching 85 miles. That's what it
      would take to haul the nearly 300 million pounds of meat and poultry
      products that were recalled between January 1, 1994, and November 30,
      2007, in 773 separate incidents."
      http://www.ethicurean.com/2008/02/04/usda-recall-authority/

      "SALMONELLA, E. COLI AND NOW 144 MILLION POUNDS OF UNFIT-TO-EAT BEEF,
      SPARK ANGER ON CAPITOL HILL:" (02/26/08): "The House Subcommittee on
      Oversight and Investigations, trying to find an answer to the growing
      reports of tainted and deadly food, found themselves dealing with a
      full plate of potentially lethal problems today.

      - E. coli in bagged spinach sickened 204 people and killed three.
      - Salmonella found in tomatoes sickened 183 people.
      - Lettuce contaminated with E. coli at Taco Bell and Taco John
      restaurants sickened 152 people.
      - Peter Pan peanut butter contaminated with Salmonella sickened 425
      people.
      - 100 brands of tainted pet food were recalled after sickening and
      killing thousands of pets.
      - A nationwide recall of fresh spinach occurred following discovery of
      salmonella in a test batch.
      - Frozen pot pies carrying salmonella were recalled after illnesses
      were reported in 31 States.

      ... the GAO has warned in the past that our food sampling and
      inspection is so scattered and infrequent that there is little chance
      of detecting microscopic E. coli or any other pathogen for that
      matter... turf wars and split responsibilities are gutting the
      effectiveness of the nation's food safety system and the three federal
      agencies responsible - CDC, FDA and USDA – should have the food safety
      mandates merged and properly staffed and funded.

      [Very edited from:
      http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/secretingredients/archives/132787.asp

      "CANADA'S LATEST MAD COW RAISES QUESTIONS ABOUT FEED BAN:"
      (02/27/08): "A six-year-old dairy cow from Alberta was confirmed
      Tuesday to have mad cow disease, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency
      said... No part of the animal's carcass entered the human food or
      animal feed systems, but the 12th case of BSE in Canada raises
      questions about the efficacy of the feed ban established in 1997. This
      cow was born several years after the introduction of a ban on feed
      containing cattle or other ruminant parts... The Canadian Cattlemen's
      Association says the discovery proves the testing and monitoring
      program works. "It's not welcome, but it does prove the system is
      working and the producers are on board with the program," spokeswoman
      Theresa Keddy said."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=3f869ea6-45f4-4a2e-9d54-a6774aa9d1fd&k=84653

      "USDA REJECTS 'DOWNER' COW BAN:" (02/29/08): "Agriculture Secretary
      Ed Schafer told Congress yesterday that he would not endorse an
      outright ban on "downer" cows entering the food supply or back stiffer
      penalties for regulatory violations by meat-processing plants in the
      wake of the largest beef recall in the nation's history... The
      penalties are strong and swift, as we have shown," Schafer said.
      "Financially, I don't see how this company can survive. People need to
      be responsible and, from USDA's standpoint, they will be held
      responsible. . . . They broke the rules. That does not mean the rules
      are wrong. I believe the rules are adequate..." The Humane Society,
      which believes all downers should be banned, sued the USDA this week
      over that policy, calling it a "dangerous loophole..."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/28/AR2008022804117.html?hpid=moreheadlines

      "WHO'S TO BLAME FOR THE BIGGEST MEAT RECALL IN U.S. HISTORY?:"
      (03/03/08): "... Conspicuously absent [from the hearings] were
      representatives from the dairy industry even though the infirm cows in
      the video -- "spent and barely able to stand due to calcium depletion
      from being milked intensively" says the Chicago Tribune -- are a dairy
      phenomenon. In fact, the dairy industry's reduction of cows into
      metabolically collapsed downers in a few short years -- facilitated by
      its continued use of Monsanto's rBST -- is even condemned by the beef
      industry..... as the nation has serious doubts about meat safety,
      Secretary Schafer, the American Meat Institute Foundation and the New
      York Farm Bureau have a warped notion of who is to blame for the
      scandal: The Humane Society for not calling the attention of USDA
      inspectors to the job they weren't doing."

      [Very edited from:
      ttp://www.alternet.org/story/78543/

      "BEEF RECALL COSTS REACH $67.2 MILLION AND RISING:" (04/09/08): "The
      federal government is billing a Chino slaughterhouse $67.2 million for
      costs associated with the largest beef recall in U.S. history,
      officials said Wednesday. That dollar amount is expected to increase
      significantly as California and other states compile expenses
      associated with destroying meat that had been sent to school districts
      across the country as part of the National School Lunch Program. All
      told, Westland/Hallmark Meat Co. could be held liable for as much as
      $117 million... If the Chino company can't pay -- which appears
      likely -- taxpayers will bear the cost...

      About 50.3 million pounds of the Westland/Hallmark beef destined for
      schools and other programs was first processed into taco meat, steak
      fingers or other foods in various states, and at state expense.
      Roughly 33 million pounds of that meat had been consumed by the time
      the recall was announced in February...
      [Very edited from:
      http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=3f869ea6-45f4-4a2e-9d54-a6774aa9d1fd&k=84653

      "BEEF RECALL CASE: CATTLE ABUSE WASN'T A RARE OCCURRENCE:"
      (03/24/08): "The abuse of non-ambulatory cattle at a California
      slaughterhouse has renewed calls for a ban on the slaughter of such
      animals, and newly released government records show such mishandling
      in past years was more than a rare occurrence. More than 10% of the
      humane-slaughter violations issued by the U.S. Department of
      Agriculture for the 18 months ended March 2004 detailed improper
      treatment of animals that couldn't walk — mostly cattle, says the
      Animal Welfare Institute, an animal-protection group... the USDA
      records obtained by the Animal Welfare Institute describe 501
      humane-handling or slaughter violations that occurred at other
      slaughter plants..."

      [Very very edited from the article at:
      http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2008-03-24-meat-recall-slaughter-ban_N.htm

      "MAN DIED OF RARE BRAIN DISEASE:" (03/28/08): "A Kansas man who died
      in January had Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, a rare disease that turns
      brain tissue spongy, his brother said Thursday. Frank Rebarchek of
      Scott City said the National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance
      Center had confirmed that Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease caused the death
      of Milton Eugene Rebarchek. He was from Monument, about 20 miles south
      of Colby. "They don't know where he got it, but they're trying to
      figure it out," he said. The disease's incubation period is years or
      even decades. It can't be confirmed until brain tissue is tested. It
      is always fatal..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.kansas.com/news/story/354683.html

      "SPANISH GOV'T URGES CALM AFTER DEATHS FROM MAD-COW DISEASE:"
      (04/07/08): "Spain's agriculture minister on Monday sent a message of
      "categorical calm and guarantees" to the public regarding the
      consumption of beef after confirmation of the deaths of two people
      from mad-cow disease... Espinosa transmitted to the public her full
      guarantee of food safety for Spanish beef.."

      [From:
      http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1321244/

      "WHITE HOUSE SITTING ON MAD COW RULE:" (04/16/08): "The Bush
      administration continues to delay a rule that could protect the public
      from being exposed to mad cow disease. The Food and Drug
      Administration rule would prohibit farms from using certain animal
      by-products as feed for cattle. (FDA rules already prohibit some
      similar kinds of feed. The current FDA proposal would strengthen
      existing regulations.) ... Even though FDA believes the benefits to be
      "potentially large," the White House is likely more concerned about
      the potential costs to the agriculture industry... While reviewing the
      rule, OIRA and FDA have met with industry representatives on two
      occasions. A January 17 meeting included representatives from the
      American Meat Institute and the National Cattleman's Beef Association
      which opposes the rule as it is currently written..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.ombwatch.org/article/blogs/entry/4866/38

      "THE FDA REVISES ITS BEEF REGULATIONS:" (04/23/08): "The U.S. Food
      and Drug Administration has issued a final regulation barring certain
      cattle materials from all animal feed, including pet food... The
      materials that can no longer be used in animal feed are the tissues
      that have the highest risk for carrying the agent thought to cause
      BSE. Such high risk cattle materials are the brains and spinal cords
      from cattle 30 months of age and older. In addition, the rule also
      prohibits use of the entire carcass of cattle not inspected and passed
      for human consumption unless the cattle are less than 30 months of age
      or their brains and spinal cords have been removed. The risk of BSE
      in cattle less than 30 months of age is considered to be exceedingly
      low, officials said... The FDA said the new rule is effective April
      23, 2009, in order to give the livestock, meat, rendering, and feed
      industries time to adapt their practices to comply with the regulation."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Science/2008/04/23/the_fda_revises_its_beef_regulations/2599/

      "JAPAN SAYS BANNED PART FOUND IN U.S. BEEF:" (04/23/08): "Japanese
      officials said Wednesday that a spinal column was found in a U.S. beef
      shipment in violation of a trade accord that prohibits parts believed
      to pose a risk of mad cow disease. A statement from two government
      ministries said that Japan has informed the U.S. Embassy of the
      findings and that shipments have been temporarily halted from the
      California plant involved. David Marks, a spokesman for the U.S.
      Embassy in Tokyo, confirmed that U.S. officials were aware of the
      incident and will conduct a "full investigation to find out how it
      happened." He added, however, that there was nothing inherently wrong
      with the product in question. "While we recognize that this is a
      product that doesn't meet Japanese standards, the product is perfectly
      safe, and the international animal health organization has determined
      that all meat, all cuts, all ages of American beef are safe," Marks
      said..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-04-23-us-beef_N.htm

      *05: Veggies: Reducing 2 Cancers, Heart Disease, Blood Pressure
      "PREVENT PROSTATE CANCER BY EATING MORE VEGETABLES, LESS MEAT:"
      (02/26/08): "The risk factors for prostate cancer mortality have
      already been identified and published (Grant, 2002, in Journal of
      Nutritional and Environmental Medicine)... the consumption of
      vegetable protein was found to be an important risk-reduction factor.
      The high inverse relation between prostate cancer mortality and the
      consumption of vegetable protein is probably due to the high
      isoflavonoids and lignan content in foods such as pulses (beans) and
      whole grains... It is also known that a high consumption of vegetable
      products in general, as a fraction of total energy (not only protein
      rich vegetables), is inversely related with prostate cancer mortality.
      In contrast, a high consumption of animal products as a fraction of
      total energy, animal fat, the non-fat portion of milk, and added
      sugar, was found to be a risk factor for prostate cancer mortality
      (Grant 2002). As a result of these findings, the recommendations are
      simple: to eat less fatty meat and avoid processed meat products (due
      to their high content of animal fat and preservatives)..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_10599.cfm

      "DIET RICH IN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES AND LOW IN FAT CAN CUT RATES OF
      CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE:" (04/14/08): A healthy diet rich in fruits
      and vegetables and low in fat has long been touted as heart smart.
      Now, increasing evidence suggests that a similar diet reduces blood
      pressure and decreases a woman's risk for heart attack and stroke.
      Scientists reporting in the April 14 issue of Archives of Internal
      Medicine have found that healthy, middle-aged women who closely
      followed the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet have
      lower rates of cardiovascular disease (CVD) than women who do not
      follow such diets. "Our study provides, to our knowledge, the
      strongest evidence to date on the long-term benefits of the DASH diet
      in the primary prevention of CVD among healthy subjects," writes
      Teresa T. Fung, ScD, of Simmons College, Boston... Fung and colleagues
      studied the eating patterns of 88, 517 female nurses aged 34 to 59 to
      determine if sticking to a DASH diet affected a woman's risk of such
      diseases. The women did not have CVD or diabetes when the trial
      started...."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20080414/dash-diet-improves-womens-heart-healthDASH

      "SALADS, GARDENING LINKED TO LOWER LUNG CANCER RISK:" (03/17/08):
      "By simply eating four or more servings of green salad a week and
      working in the garden once or twice a week, smokers and nonsmokers
      alike may be able to substantially reduce the risk of developing lung
      cancer, say researchers at The University of Texas M. D. Anderson
      Cancer Center. "This is the first risk prediction model to examine the
      effects of diet and physical activity on the possibility of developing
      lung cancer," says Michele Forman, Ph.D., lead author of the study and
      a professor in M. D. The data are from an ongoing M. D. Anderson
      case-control lung cancer study involving more than 3,800 participants.
      Separate risk assessment models were developed for current and former
      smokers as well as for those who have never smoked. Forman's study
      looked at salad consumption and gardening because, she said, "Salad is
      a marker for the consumption of many vegetables and gardening is an
      activity in which smokers and nonsmokers can participate... "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/mar2008/2008-03-17-096.asp

      "BEETROOT 'MAY CUT BLOOD PRESSURE':" (02/06/08): "Drinking 500ml of
      beetroot juice a day can significantly reduce blood pressure, UK
      research suggests. The key beneficial ingredient appears to be
      nitrate, which is also found in green, leafy vegetables. The
      researchers found that in healthy volunteers blood pressure was
      reduced within an hour of drinking the juice. The study, by Barts and
      the London School of Medicine and the Peninsula Medical School, could
      suggest a low-cost way to treat hypertension. Drinking beetroot
      juice, or consuming other nitrate-rich vegetables [dill, beet, roots
      and leaves, turnip, parsley, radish, spinach, and leaf lettuce, are
      examples], might be a simple way to maintain a healthy cardiovascular
      system. Previously the protective effects of vegetable-rich diets
      have been attributed to their antioxidant vitamin content..."

      [Edited from:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7228420.stm

      *06: Peak Soil!, Edible Estates, Butz Legacy, Farm Emission Rules
      "PEAK OIL? PEAK SOIL!:" (03/06/08): "Reasonable people can disagree
      on the causes and the implications of rising oil prices, but there
      seems to be a gathering consensus that the era of easy and cheap oil
      is over. If you don't want to take my word on that, then take it from
      an oil executive. What few people grasp is the connection between oil
      and the food supply. Put simply, the food and farm economies of
      industrialized countries run on the stuff. Oil and its derivatives are
      used to power farm equipment, to create synthetic fertilizers and
      pesticides, to run food processing equipment, and to transport food
      from field to fork, a journey of 1500 miles for the average forkful.

      It has been estimated that our highly-industrialized food system in
      the US requires 10 calories of fossil fuel energy to create 1 calorie
      of food energy. Needless to say, that equation just doesn't compute in
      the long run... So, what's the solution? The answer to peak oil is
      peak soil. The more people who have their hands in it and have a
      little of it under their fingernails, the better placed we will be to
      feed our communities and, indeed, the world. There are different
      things you can do to be part of the solution. If you are a gardener
      already, keep up the good work this spring and try to scale up your
      growing, if your time and space allow. More importantly, try to bring
      some non-gardeners into the fold this year, perhaps by organizing a
      backyard or community gathering on Kitchen Garden Day. If you're not a
      gardener, this is the year to start...

      [Edited from:
      http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/03/06/7521/

      [See also:
      http://www.kitchengardeners.org/

      "GO FOR AN 'EDIBLE ESTATE': THE CASE AGAINST LAWNS:" (04/04/08):
      "...By the end of World War II, over 80 percent of American households
      were growing some of their own food. Within months after Victory Day
      this activity quickly subsided... in the United States, the
      introduction of the leisure weekend, the abundance of fresh water, the
      production of industrial pesticides, the availability of the lawn
      mower and cheap gas... all set the stage for the unfurling of the
      great American lawn as we know it today....

      ...we plant more grass than any other crop: currently lawns cover more
      than thirty million acres. Given the way we lavish precious resources
      on it and put it everywhere that humans go, aliens landing in any
      American city today would assume that grass must be the most precious
      earthly substance of all... Hydrocarbons from mowers react with
      nitrogen oxides in the presence of sunlight to produce ozone. To
      eradicate invading plants the lawn is drugged with pesticides and
      herbicides, which are then washed into our water supply with
      sprinklers and hoses, dumping our increasingly rare fresh drinking
      resource down the gutter.

      ... The Edible Estates project proposes the replacement of the
      domestic front lawn with a highly productive edible landscape... A
      small garden of very modest means, humble materials, and a little
      effort can have a radical effect on the life of a family, how they
      spend their time and relate to their environment, whom they see, and
      how they eat...

      [Very very edited from the long, detailed, and informative book
      excerpt at:
      http://www.alternet.org/story/80531/

      "A REFLECTION ON THE LASTING LEGACY OF 1970S USDA SECRETARY EARL
      BUTZ:" (02/07/08): "... Butz... plunged a pitchfork into New Deal
      agricultural policies that sought to protect farmers from the big
      agribusiness companies whose interests he openly pushed. He
      envisioned a hyper-efficient, centralized food system, one that could
      profitably and cheaply "feed the world" by manipulating (or "adding
      value to") mountains of Midwestern corn and soy... in 1971 as now,
      what agribusiness wanted was for farmers to plant lots and lots of
      corn and soy. In order to profitably mass-produce convenience fare for
      a growing middle class, the food industry needed unchecked access to
      cheap inputs... By killing the "supply management" program, Butz would
      open a floodgate of cheap inputs from farms to food factories... urged
      on by Butz and buoyed by high grain prices, millions of Midwestern
      farmers spent the 1970s taking on debt to buy more land, bigger and
      more complicated machines, new seed varieties, more fertilizers and
      pesticides, and generally producing as much as they possibly could.

      ... While farmers scrambled to "get big or get out," Butz's beloved
      agribusiness giants cheered. Regaled with mountains of cut-rate corn,
      Archer Daniels Midland used its political muscle to rig up lucrative
      markets for high-fructose syrup and ethanol. In Iowa, bin-busting
      harvests gave rise to an explosion of massive concentrated-animal
      feedlot operations (CAFOs). An increasingly consolidated meat industry
      learned to transform cheap grain into cheap -- but highly profitable
      -- burgers, chops, and chicken nuggets...

      [Very edited from the detailed and historically accurate article at:
      http://www.grist.org/comments/food/2008/02/07/?source=daily

      "FARMS MAY BE EXEMPTED FROM EMISSION RULES:" (02/26/08): "Under
      pressure from agriculture industry lobbyists and lawmakers from
      agricultural states, the EPA wants to drop requirements that factory
      farms report their emissions of toxic gases, despite findings by the
      agency's scientists that the gases pose a health threat. The EPA
      acknowledges that the emissions can pose a threat to people living and
      working nearby, but it says local emergency responders don't use the
      reports, making them unnecessary. But local air-quality agencies,
      environmental groups and lawmakers who oppose the rule change say the
      reports are one of the few tools rural communities have for holding
      large livestock operations accountable for the pollution they produce...

      "Every major air pollution regulation that affects the agriculture
      industry has been weakened or delayed by this administration," said S.
      William Becker, executive director of the National Association of
      Clean Air Agencies, which represents local and state air-quality
      agencies. "These are not inconsequential pollutants. In large
      concentrations, they kill people..."

      ...The rule change would eliminate ammonia emissions reporting for big
      animal-feeding operations such as Threemile Canyon Farms in Boardman,
      Ore., where waste from tens of thousands of dairy cows releases more
      than 15,000 pounds of ammonia into the atmosphere each day, according
      to the EPA..."

      [Very edited from from the comprehensive and disturbing article at:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/25/AR2008022502472.html

      *07: Vegan Digital Theater Showcase
      "NOBEL PEACE PRICE 2007: VIDEO OF PACHAURI'S ENTIRE SPEECH [mentioning
      the importance to the planet of going vegetarian]:"
      http://nobelprize.org/cgi-bin/asxgen.asx?id=795&type=award&year=2007

      [See also: "Lifestyle changes can curb climate change: IPCC chief:"
      http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iIVBkZpOUA9Hz3Xc2u-61mDlrw0Q

      "WAYNE PACELLE, PRES. OF HSUS, ON HSUS'S DOWNER FOOTAGE:"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OftBZJ8w2g4

      "MEAT COMPANY PRESIDENT ADMITS ILLEGAL SLAUGHTER OF CATTLE:" [from MSNBC]
      http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/03/12/meat-company-president-admits-illegal-slaughter-of-cattle/

      "DOREEN THE DOWNER COW:" Flash cartoon by Mark Fiore:
      http://www.motherjones.com/commentary/fiore/2008/02/doreen-the-downer.html

      "THE ALL VEGETABLE ORCHESTRA:"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpfYt7vRHuY
      [see also: http://www.vegetableorchestra.org

      *08: PETA Awards, Bob's Gift, Recession-proof Diet, Mostly Plants
      "PETA'S 5TH ANNUAL PROGGY AWARDS:" (2008): "PETA's panel of judges
      has cast their votes for the fifth annual Proggy Awards, which
      recognize animal-friendly achievement in 21st century culture and
      commerce...

      BEST NEW COOKBOOK: "Quick-Fix Vegetarian:" Finding that perfect
      vegetarian recipe for busy people—quick and effortless to prepare,
      healthy, and tasty - got easier this year with Robin Robertson's
      "Quick-Fix Vegetarian." The new cookbook - by the author of "Vegan
      Planet," "Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker," and the "Vegetarian
      Meat & Potatoes Cookbook" - will free you from your microwave and
      fast-food boredom with quick-fix treats like spinach and sun-dried
      tomato quesadillas, oyster mushroom po' boys, and five-minute
      slow-cooker chili. Top off your vegan meal with a few no-bake
      oatmeal-almond cookies, and you'll see why "Quick-Fix Vegetarian" is a
      winner..."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.peta.org/feat/proggy/2008/index.asp

      [See also:
      http://www.peta.org/MC/NewsItem.asp?id=10751

      "ALUMNUS BOB BARKER TO PRESENT DRURY WITH $1 MILLION GIFT:"
      (02/07/08): "... to establish the Bob Barker Endowment Fund for the
      Study of Animal Rights. "I have established endowment funds at seven
      of the finest law schools in the U.S. for the study of Animal Rights
      Law. And now, with this endowment fund at Drury University, I hope to
      create a model program that other undergraduate schools will
      enthusiastically emulate," says Barker, who will be at Drury in person
      on Monday. The initial course at Drury titled "Animal Ethics" will
      educate students about issues that directly affect the lives of
      animals. As a multidisciplinary class, the course will be
      team-taught with professors with expertise from the fields of biology,
      law, sustainability, psychology, criminology, philosophy, religion and
      anthropology. The Animal Ethics course will be offered for the first
      time in the spring of 2010. Several law schools, including Harvard
      and Stanford, have received gifts from Barker to help fund the study
      of Animal Rights, but this is the first time Barker has funded an
      undergraduate program in Animal Rights..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.drury.edu/multinl/story.cfm?ID=21705&NLID=246

      "RECESSION-PROOF YOUR DIET: GO VEGAN:" (03/25/08): "... If you don't
      want to spend your retirement fund on food, consider investing in a
      vegan diet. Some of the most versatile vegan foods-including beans,
      rice, vegetables, soy products and pasta-cost relatively little
      compared to animal products. According to a 2007 MSN MoneyCentral
      article, the cheapest cuts of beef, such as ground round, average $3
      per pound; boneless chicken breasts cost $3.40 a pound; and canned
      tuna costs around $2 per pound. In comparison, dried beans and lentils
      cost less than $1 a pound, and rice is cheaper than $1 a pound. Tofu
      usually costs less than $2 per pound. Even vegans who buy costlier
      products like soy sausage and nondairy ice cream can still spend less
      than people who load up on beef, chicken and fish... A 2002 E Magazine
      article estimated that the amount of feed needed to produce just one
      8-ounce steak would fill 45 to 50 bowls with cooked cereal grains...
      If you factor in all the money you'll save on hospital bills,
      medications and weight-loss plans by avoiding unhealthy,
      artery-clogging animal products, a vegan diet is downright economical..."

      [Edited from a great post with other useful stats at:
      http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474977293259

      "THE AUTHOR OF 'THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA' ADVISES US TO ESCAPE THE
      WESTERN DIET:" (12/31/07): "...[Pollan's] optimism fueled two of his
      earlier books: "The Botany of Desire," about our relationship with
      food, and "The Omnivore's Dilemma," which urged variety in our diet.
      It's most evident in the last of the trilogy, "In Defense of Food,"
      whose simple message is "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."
      ...Pollan subtitles his new book "An Eater's Manifesto..." "[W]hat
      other animal needs professional help in deciding what it should eat?"
      he asks. Once, we had culture ("just a fancy word for your mother"),
      but culture has been replaced by "scientists and food marketers (often
      an unhealthy alliance of the two)." Americans are "increasingly sick
      and fat. Four of the top ten causes of death today are chronic
      diseases with well-established links to diet: coronary heart disease,
      diabetes, stroke, and cancer"... he writes: "The food industry needs
      theories so it can better redesign specific processed foods; a new
      theory means a new line of products, allowing the industry to go on
      tweaking the Western diet instead of making any more radical change to
      its business model." The medical community also benefits; Pollan notes
      that as Americans spend less on food, they spend more on healthcare."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_9394.cfm

      APR 30: Kansas City, MO > 7 pm.

      MAY 9: Portland, OR > Portland VegFest, Benson High School, 7pm

      JUN 18 - 22: Johnstown, PA > Summerfest:
      http://vegetariansummerfest.org

      JUN 23: Wheeling, WV
      JUN 28: Bend, OR

      JUL 03: Weimar, CA
      JUL 05: Sacramentio, CA

      AUG 14 - 17: Wash. DC > AR2008
      http://www.arconference.org

      AUG 23: Niverville, NY

      [More information/embedded links for contact information at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *10: Quick Bytes
      AGRICULTURE:

      [Useful resource and for networking:
      http://www.kitchengardeners.org/

      [SUPERB CSA (community supported agriculture) interactive resource:"
      http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/csa/

      BLOGS/PODCASTS:

      ["Organic Consumers: Read, Blog & Meet-up!:"
      http://organicconsumers.org/chat/index.php

      [The Mad Cowboy Newsletter Editor's Vegan Blog:
      http://www.soulveggie.com

      [Podcasts, radio:
      http://www.veganradio.com/

      ["The FatFreeVegan Blog:"
      http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

      ["The Vegan Lunch Box Blog (PETA & Bloggy Award-winning:"
      http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com

      [Bryanna Clark Grogan's Blog:
      http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/

      ["Raw Vegan Blog and Podcasts:"
      http://www.rawveganradio.blogspot.com/

      ["Recommended Blogs & Websites for Food & Farming Information:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/2006/article_563.cfm

      NEWSLETTERS/GROUPS/LISTS/FORUMS:

      [Farmed Animal Net:
      http://www.farmedanimal.net/

      [VegNews Monthly Newsletter:
      http://www.vegnews.com

      [FARMUSA's MeatOut Monday Newsletter:
      http://meatoutmondays.org

      [PCRM Membership News and Info:
      Send e-mail to: membership@...

      [Vegetarians In Paradise Newsletter:
      http://www.vegparadise.com

      [International Vegetarian Union Newsletter:
      http://www.ivu.org/news/index.html

      ["In a Vegetarian Kitchen: (Nava Atlas):"
      http://www.vegkitchen.com

      ["International Organization for Animal Protection:"
      http://www.oipa.org/

      ["VeggieBoards:"
      http://www.veggieboards.com

      RECIPES:

      [Over 10,000 veg'n recipe links:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VegRecipes.html

      ["Over 1,000 International (regional) Vegetarian Recipes:"
      http://www.ivu.org/recipes/regions.html

      [PCRM Recipe Archives:
      http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/recipe_archive.html

      [Almost 2,000 searchable fat-free veg'n recipes:
      http://www.fatfree.com

      [Award-winning searchable veg'n recipe database:
      http://vegweb.com/

      [Constantly wonderful site of vegan recipes:
      http://www.fatfreevegan.com/

      VEGAN

      [Nana's Vegan Cookies online!:
      http://www.healthycrowd.com/

      *11: Closing Thoughts
      "This book is dedicated to compassionate people throughout the world
      who help each other, the animals, and the environment by eating a
      healthful plant-based diet."

      - Robert Robertson, "Dedication" in her vegan "Fire & Spice" cookbook