11_29_07: Digital Howard, Veg Alien, EarthRise, & Joyous Vegan

  • msutton@soulveggie.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2007
      Howdy! Welcome to the 60th edition of the Mac Cowboy Newsletter.

      After a brief hiatus, we're back with lotsa information, several videos,
      some new digital Howard, and some recipes from a great vegan cookbook as
      well as a unique vegan "e-cookbook."

      In this issue you'll get the mandatory round-up of Mad Cow Disease and
      Avian Flu-related articles, information about new studies about cancer
      and consumption of flaxseed, meat, general diet recommendations, and
      soft drinks relationship to heart disease. You'll be able to enjoy the
      interview with the self-proclaimed "Joyous Vegan," learn about 10 steps
      for Vegan Culinary Activism, a new book by Andrew Kimbrell (he's also in
      the "Mad Cowboy Documentary") and a comprehensive article about Capt.
      Paul Watson and "Neptune's Navy."

      Further down, you'll be able to see "earthrise" from the moon, a trailer
      for "King Corn," view the must-see video by PCRM about the upcoming Farm
      Bill, marvel at a Vegetable Alien, ponder the future evolution of the
      Big Mac, learn who won a contest for the most artistic "Salt Lick," and
      know about new hardcore evidence that organic produce IS more
      nutritious, heart healthy, and has higher yields.

      ... and, as always, a tip of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all can
      read past issues of the newsletter at:

      Best wishes to all for the holidaze season (and watch those calories!)

      Mark, MC Editor/Webmaster

      [personal vegan blog:
      http://www.soulveggie.com

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quote(s) from Howard
      01: Some Digital Howard
      03: Three New Vegan Cookbooks of Note & Recipes
      04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      05: Bird Flu News
      06: Cancer: Flaxseed, Meat, & Diet, Soft Drinks=Heart Disease
      07: Joyous Vegan, 10 Steps, What's In Food, Neptune's Navy
      08: Veg Video Theater
      09: Veg Alien, Future Big Mac, 25lbs Fat, Salt Lick Contest
      10: Organic: Better, Heart Healthy, High Yields
      11: Howard's Schedule
      12: Quick Bytes
      13: Closing Thoughts

      *00: Quote(s) from Howard
      "We can't allow ourselves to simply bemoan the media that have been
      bought and co-opted by special interests; we must harness the media for
      ourselves, and create whatever outlets we can. If we truly believe what
      we say about the damage to our collective health and our shared
      environment that results from the animal-based diet, then we have a
      positive duty to make our case in as dramatic a fashion as possible. No
      statistic makes as powerful a case as the image of the slaughterhouse.
      We need to find ways to bring the reality of the salughterhouse to the
      airwaves and the Internet. The Internet in particular offers a low-cost
      means of exposing people, especially younger people, to the harshe
      realities of "food" production in America. All Americans, including
      school-age children, should see what a slaughterhouse looks like so that
      they can know what they are eating. If they want to to continue eating
      meat, let them make an informed choice."

      --- Howard Lyman, in "No More Bull!" p. 84

      [To order "No More Bull!" online:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VVFprods.002.html

      *01: Some Digital Howard
      [Howard in Vancover 2002, audio:
      http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/3014759/

      [Video of 1st 16 minutes of Howard speaking at AR2007:
      http://www.youtube.com//watch?v=qt6vYpILydk

      LAST WEEK'S MAD COWBOY VEGAN MIND-BENDER:
      "What's the yearly estimate for number of tons of polyethylene
      terephthalate bottles (formerly containing water) thrown into USA
      landfills?"

      (a) 2 million tons (b) 10 million tons (c) 20 million tons
      (d) this question makes my head hurt

      The correct answer is: (a) 2 million tons and in some cases, (d)

      Congratulations to Ellie Wallace of Houston, Texas, for being correct
      and winning the luck of the draw.

      ["Each year, about 2 million tons of PET bottles end up in landfills in
      the United States:"
      http://www.commondreams.org/news2007/0510-07.htm

      THIS WEEK'S VEGAN MIND-BENDER:

      "The average life span of an American in 2004 was 42nd compared to the
      rest of the world. Twenty years ago, US life span was ranked what, when
      compared to the rest of the world?"

      (a) 2nd (b) 5th (c) 11th (d) 23rd

      Please e-mail guesses to: webmaster@... with the word
      "contest" in your subject line by NLT Dec. 15th, 2007.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the
      correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and
      you can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call
      1.415.665.6397]

      *03: Two New Vegan Cookbooks of Note & Recipes
      INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS: RECIPES FOR A NEW PARADIGM

      "Incredibly Delicious is the right name for this cookbook. It is our
      most dog-eared living guide. Buy it, try it, and you will love it. Our
      lives have improved because of this book." --- Howard Lyman

      [Two sample recipes:

      Western Omelette
      (yields 1 large skillet)

      2 lbs. (4 C.) tofu, rinsed & drained
      1/8 C. nutritional yeast
      1 1/2 T. tamari or substitute
      1/2 t. black pepper (optional)
      1 t. sea salt
      1/4 C. scallions, chopped
      1 t. tumeric

      Saute:
      1 C. onion, diced
      3 C. red pepper, sliced
      1 C. mushrooms, diced
      1 T. tamari or substitute
      1/8 C. nutritional yeast

      1. In a bowl, mash tofu. Mix with seasonings and scallions. Set aside
      in a cool place.

      2. Saute onion in a little oil and/or water. Add red pepper then
      mushrooms and saute until soft. Season with tamari and nutritional
      yeast. Add to tofu batter and mix well.

      3. Pan-fry in an oiled or non-stick skillet. Flip when browned on one
      side.

      *Variation - Baking the batter uses less oil and it will solidify the
      omelette as well. Place batter in a lightly oiled cast-iron skillet or
      on a baking sheet. Pat the batter firmly into shape and bake in a
      pre-heated oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. (p. 21)

      ALMOND "MAYO"
      (yields 1 1/4 cups)

      1 C. almonds (soaked 1 - 6 hours)
      3/4 C. water
      1 T. onion powder
      1 t. sea salt
      2-3 dates, pitted
      1 lemon, juiced
      raw apple cider vinegar, a dash
      1/8 C. cold-pressed oil (optional)

      1. In a food processor using the "S" shaped blade (or with a strong
      blender), thoroughly blend almonds with water. Add the remaining
      ingredients, except the oil. Process.

      2. Slowly add oil or extra water, while processing, and mixture will
      become thick and smooth. Chill. [use in Carrot Salad!] p. 198

      [You can read more about this cookbook and purchase it online at:
      http://www.gentleworld.org/incredibly.html

      VEGAN DONE LIGHT: (an e-cookbook available as a PDF) by Zen Pawn

      "Appealing and inspiring recipes full of new combinations with the added
      benefit of NO added oil or salt." -Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.,
      author: "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease."

      [You can get a free recipe here:
      http://www.vegandonelight.com/subscribe.html

      [You can learn more about the recipes, buy the PDF and receive it
      electronically, here:
      http://www.vegandonelight.com

      [And check out the newly available low-fat Holiday recipes:
      http://www.rawdonelight.com/thanksgiving.html

      *04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      UNITED FOOD GROUP EXPANDS RECALL: (06/09/07): "United Food Group
      expanded the recall of ground beef to include 5.7 million pounds of
      fresh and frozen meat potentially contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. At
      least 14 cases of E. coli infection may be linked to a multi-state
      recall of ground beef produced by the company. People in five different
      states reportedly have developed illnesses related to their consumption
      of ground beef, including individuals in California, Arizona, Colorado,
      Wyoming and Utah."

      [Edited from:
      http://ecoli.vanosteen.com/ground-beef.asp

      ALZHEIMER'S CASES AROUND THE WORLD TO QUADRUPLE BY 2050: (06/11/07):
      "A "global epidemic" of Alzheimer's disease could take hold by 2050 with
      the number affected set to quadruple, experts predicted yesterday. The
      number of people living with the condition, which is estimated at 26
      million worldwide, will grow to more than 106 million by 2050, with
      about half of them needing high-level care, the researchers said. The
      Alzheimer's Society said that about 1.7 million people will be living
      with the condition in the UK by 2050... the biggest rise in the number
      of cases would occur in Asia where currently 48 per cent of sufferers
      live. Prevalence there will grow from 12.65 million in 2006 to 62.85
      million in 2050, accounting for 59 per cent of all cases, the study
      said."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article1913178.ece

      WHY IS THE PET FOOD INDUSTRY KILLING OUR PETS?: (06/16/07): "The
      commercial pet foods industry rakes in billions of dollars annually. In
      exchange for our dollars, we trust the companies to provide our pets
      with quality nutrition. The recent pet food recall demonstrated that our
      trust has been misplaced. But while many were shocked by the tragic
      deaths of beloved pets, many more would be shocked to know that the pet
      food industry has a long history of mistreating our pets... the pet food
      industry is virtually self-regulated. The only requirement that the
      industry must meet is to adhere to the Labeling Act, which states that
      food must contain the name and address of the producing company, whether
      the product is intended for dogs or cats, the weight of the food, and
      the guaranteed analysis. The source of the protein included in the
      analysis can be anything: condemned material from slaughterhouses,
      road-kill, zoo animals and even euthanized companion animals.""

      [Very edited from the long and detailed article by the author of "Food
      Pets Die For" at:
      http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/54236/

      QUEBEC MAD COW LAWSUIT TO SET PRECEDENCE FOR CANADIAN CATTLE FARMERS:
      (06/17/07): "A Quebec Superior Court ruling has given the go-ahead to a
      multi-billion dollar class-action lawsuit targeting the federal
      government's actions during the mad cow crisis. The lawsuit was filed
      on behalf of 20,000 Quebec farmers in 2005 who say Ottawa's
      mismanagement of the BSE file led to billions of dollars in losses for
      the country's cattle industry. The claims in the lawsuit have yet to be
      proven in court... The lawsuit seeks compensation for losses it says
      reach more than $9-billion across Canada since 2003. "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070617.wmadcow0617/BNStory/National/home

      EATING FOIE GRAS MAY CAUSE MAD COW-LIKE DISEASE: (06/19/07):
      "Consumption of foie gras can transmit amyloidosis, a disease which is
      sometimes manifested as mad cow or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD),
      reports a new study in early online edition of the journal Proceedings
      of the National Academy of Sciences. The researchers say their results
      provide the first evidence that a food product can hasten the
      development of amyloids. "It is not known if there is an increase of
      Alzheimer's disease, diabetes or other amyloid-related disease in people
      who have eaten foie gras," said Dr. Alan, director of the Human
      Immunology and Cancer/Alzheimer's Disease and Amyloid-Related Disorders
      Research Program at University of Tennessee at Knoxville and lead author
      of the study."

      [Edited from:
      http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0619-foie_gras.html

      E. COLI FOUND IN CANADIAN BEEF, WARNS HEALTH AGENCY: (07/07/07): "Five
      people have fallen ill from bad beef, and consumers should avoid
      purchasing or consuming specific brands of ground beef sold in Canada,
      said a health hazard alert Saturday morning. The Canadian Food
      Inspection Agency said in a news release that some ground beef and
      ground beef patties sold in Safeway and Independent grocery stores could
      be contaminated with E. coli bacteria."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=98727515-c026-4f0b-a957-4318f9f4d1fd&k=5526

      DESPITE BOTULISM RECALL, POTENTIALLY CONTAMINATED PRODUCTS STILL BEING
      SOLD ACROSS U.S.: (07/27/07): "Stores across the United States are
      continuing to sell recalled canned chili, stew, hash and other foods
      potentially contaminated with poisonous bacteria even after repeated
      warnings that the products could kill. Thousands of cans are being
      removed from store shelves as quickly as investigators find them, more
      than a week after Castleberry's Food Co. began recalling more than 90
      potentially contaminated products over fears of botulism contamination.
      The recall now covers two years' production at the company's Augusta,
      Georgia, plant - a tally that spirals into the tens of millions of
      cans... "Frankly, the fact we have had only four illnesses in this
      situation has people saying, 'Well, what is the big deal?' The deal is
      this is something that can land you in the ICU, not being able to
      breathe, for weeks," said Dr. David Acheson, the FDA's lead food safety
      expert... "The longer this stuff stays in the can, the worse it gets,"
      Acheson said..."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/27/america/NA-GEN-US-FDA-Botulism.php

      CHINA DEFENDS HANDLING OF DISEASE OUTBREAK IN PIGS: (08/20/07): "China
      rejected criticism that it had downplayed an outbreak of a disease in
      pigs, saying Monday it had been "open and transparent" with the
      international community. As of Sunday, blue ear pig disease had spread
      to 26 Chinese provinces, killing 68,000 pigs and prompting officials to
      destroy an additional 175,000 pigs, said Jia Youling, chief veterinary
      officer with the Ministry of Agriculture. China has so far vaccinated
      100 million pigs against the disease, which is also known as highly
      pathogenic porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome, he said. The
      disease does not affect people but can be fatal for pigs."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/20/asia/AS-GEN-China-Pig-Disease.php

      E. COLI FEARS TRIGGER LARGE RECALL OF GROUND BEEF: (09/30/07): "Topps
      Meat Co. said Saturday it expanded a recall announced last week to
      include 21.7 million pounds of ground beef that may be contaminated with
      a potentially fatal strain of E. coli bacteria..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/e-coli-fears-trigger-large/story.aspx?guid=D5A160E8-3B02-4D45-8FDD-16E8CF1246A3&dist=SecMostMailed

      AS TAINTED MEAT RECALLED, SO ARE INSPECTORS: (10/03/07): "The United
      States is currently in the middle of the fifth-largest food recall in
      our history: 21.7 million tons of ground beef that may contain e. coli,
      the same bacteria behind last year's spinach recall. We're also in the
      middle of approving a massive farm bill. And in the middle of that is
      fine print that would actually exempt meat products from federal
      inspection. The measure, reports the Chicago Tribune, was put there by
      Representative Collin Peterson (D-Minnesota). It was supposed to help
      small meat processors: unlike larger processors, they don't have a
      federal inspector on-site, and therefore have to apply for a visit -- a
      troublesome bureaucratic hurdle..."

      [Edited from:
      http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/10/as-tainted-meat.htm

      [see also:
      http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/printedition/tuesday/chi-meat_02oct02,0,7565723.story?coll=chi_home_top

      BRITAIN 'FACES CJD EPIDEMIC' FROM INFECTED BEEF: (10/11/07): "The
      nation faces the possibility of a major epidemic of lethal brain disease
      as a result of the consumption years ago of beef contaminated with mad
      cow disease, BSE, according to Britain's leading expert on vCJD, or
      "human BSE". Prof John Collinge of University College London, a
      Government advisor, made the comments yesterday when unveiling a new
      theory of what causes bovine spongiform encephalopathy,
      Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and other "neurodegenerative" diseases...
      Collinge believes that only people who are genetically susceptible have
      succumbed to the devastating illness so far. "I continue to be worried,"
      he told The Daily Telegraph... Given that kuru can incubate in a person
      for four decades, he would expect even longer incubation periods of the
      cattle disease BSE in infected people, depending on a person's genetic
      makeup. "I am afraid there are a lot more cases in the pipeline," said
      Prof Collinge..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/earth/2007/11/10/scicjd110.xml

      CONAGRA REFUSES TO RECALL POTPIES: (10/11/07): "ConAgra Foods Inc. is
      refusing to recall Banquet-brand and other potpies tied to a national
      salmonella outbreak, rejecting direct pleas by Oregon and Minnesota
      health officials. The state officials say the company needs to recall
      all of its potpies because the source of the salmonella has not been
      identified. Doing anything less, they say, allows potentially dangerous
      food to remain on the market and confuses consumers. The company says a
      recall is unnecessary. It contends that contamination is limited to its
      poultry potpies. Risks can be eliminated, the company says, by
      instructing consumers to cook the pies thoroughly enough to kill
      salmonella bacteria. The dispute highlights a long-standing limitation
      in America's system for safeguarding the food supply: State officials
      who most frequently unearth the cause of foodborne illness have no
      regulatory authority over food makers. Federal officials can ask
      companies to recall food, but that process can take days or weeks..."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.oregonlive.com/business/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/business/119207311467680.xml&coll=7

      IS OUR FOOD ANY SAFER SINCE THE LAST E. COLI OUTBREAK?: (10/18/07):
      "Late in August 2006, the federal Centers for Disease Control and
      Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta began investigating cases of severe food
      poisoning reported by health officials in 26 states and one Canadian
      province. Over the next six weeks, a rare and particularly virulent
      strain of Escherichia coli 0157:H7 sickened more than 200 people,
      hospitalizing half of them, some with severe kidney damage, and killing
      two elderly women and a child. For epidemiologists, the outbreak
      presented a breakthrough because a DNA-fingerprinting system enabled CDC
      investigators to trace back the source of the infections from clusters
      of cases nationwide... The science of how E. coli gets into produce is
      still in its infancy. According to Linda Harris, a U.C. Davis food
      safety researcher, "It's less than a decade old." She believes that "we
      will never eliminate food-borne illness entirely." Meanwhile, the
      conflict between food safety and environmental protection has left
      Central Coast growers twisting in the wind."

      [Very edited from the well-researched, detailed, and notable article at:
      http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/65067/?page=entire

      LAWSUIT: CATTLE RULE PUTS CONSUMERS AT RISK: (10/26/07): "New federal
      guidelines will expose U.S. consumers to a fatal disease from eating
      cattle contaminated by mad cow disease, a group of South Dakota ranchers
      and national cattle groups maintain in a new federal lawsuit... At issue
      is a Sept. 18 decision relaxing restrictions on imports of live cattle
      and edible bovine products from Canada and other regions... If the rule
      is not blocked, it will "expose U.S. consumers to increased risk of an
      invariably fatal disease associated with consumption of BSE-contaminated
      meat, will increase the risk of invariably fatal BSE infection in cattle
      in the United States, and will expose U.S. cattle producers to severe
      economic hardship," the lawsuit states.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071026/NEWS/71026030/1001

      414,000 PIZZA CASES WITH POSSIBLE E. COLI: (11/03/07): "As there is a
      raised risk of E. coli O157:H7 contamination of 414,000 cases of pizza
      products with pepperoni toppings, the makers, General Mills, has
      announced a voluntary recall of said pizzas. As these are freezable
      products, the company is asking consumers to check in their freezers as
      well. The pizzas were produced in General Mills' Ohio factory and
      distributed throughout the USA... "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/87574.php

      BSE FOUND IN COUNTY DONEGAL: (11/05/07): "The Minister for Agriculture
      Mary Coughlan says the infected five-year-old cow was discovered in
      south Donegal last week... This particular case has raised fears amongst
      farmers as it was born six years after tight controls were introduced to
      eradicate the brain disease - which can lead to variant CJD in humans.
      There have been three previous cases of BSE in cattle born in 2001 but
      this is the latest case ever seen in Ireland."

      [From:
      http://www.derryjournal.com/journal/BSE-found-in-County-Donegal.3444546.jp

      OFFICIALS TO CULL CATTLE IN BOVINE TB SCARE: (11/11/07): "The
      discovery of bovine tuberculosis in a bull will force the slaughter of
      470 cattle and has resulted in the quarantine of almost 30 farms in B.C.
      and Alberta... Canadian trade partners will continue to recognize Canada
      as tuberculosis free. "This has no implication for U.S. trade for meat,
      for dairy products, for live animals - we'll still continue to export as
      we did before."

      [Very edited from:
      http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5j9tJfXXx03PewZjPj6Ws6DH0huHw

      GET E. COLI OFF THE MENU: (11/14/07): "... Just recently, E. coli
      infection jockeyed for headlines with MRSA, the superbug that migrated
      from hospitals to schools and gyms. An E. coli outbreak forced Topps
      Meat Co. out of business this year after it voluntarily recalled 21.7
      million pounds of frozen hamburger patties, the second-largest meat
      recall ever. Sam's Club and its supplier, Cargill, then recalled 1.8
      million pounds of tainted beef. Besides meat, E. coli was responsible
      for recalls of spinach, salad mixes and frozen pizzas. Now federal meat
      inspectors have disclosed a little-known fact: A U.S. Agriculture
      Department regulation allows processing plants to sell meat that tests
      positive for E. coli. The only stipulation is such meat carry a ''cook
      only'' label, a practice that allows companies to profit from millions
      of pounds of bad meat. The USDA defended the rule, saying commercial
      cooking kills the bacteria and renders it safe to eat. This type of meat
      is usually sold as precooked hamburger, meatloaf and taco filling..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.suntimes.com/news/commentary/648846,CST-EDT-edit14a.article

      98,000 LBS. FROZEN SAUSAGE ROLLS RECALLED OVER LISTERIA WORRIES:
      (11/16/07): "Sausage rolls made by Double B Foods have been recalled
      over concerns that they may be contaminated with listeria bacteria. No
      illnesses have been reported in relation to the Double B Sausage recall,
      which involves 98,000 pounds of the frozen products... The Double B
      Sausage rolls where sold in Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia,
      Louisiana, Mississippi, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma and
      Pennsylvania... "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/2042

      BORDER OPENS TO OLDER CANADIAN CATTLE: (11/20/07): "American borders
      opened Monday to Canadian cattle older than 30 months, but the Montana
      Department of Livestock is requiring a special permit to bring older
      breeding stock into this state. Meanwhile, R-CALF United Stockgrowers
      of America asked a U.S. District Court judge in South Dakota for a
      temporary restraining order to stop the rule change. The organization is
      also suing the U.S. Department of Agriculture over the matter."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071120/NEWS01/711200303

      *05: Bird Flu News
      FRENCH SWANS HAVE DEADLY BIRD FLU: (07/05/07): "Three swans found dead
      in eastern France were victims of the H5N1 bird flu virus that can be
      fatal to humans, tests have confirmed. French officials raised the bird
      flu threat to high from moderate after the tests near the German border.
      This is only the second outbreak of H5N1 in France. Early last year, 62
      wild birds died of the virus in the centre of the country... "

      [Edited from:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6272574.stm

      GERMANS CULL 1,000 DOMESTIC FOWL AFTER H5N1 DETECTED IN GOOSE:
      (07/07/07): "German authorities ordered about 1,000 domestic fowl
      slaughtered after the bird flu virus was detected in a goose in the
      eastern state of Thuringia, officials there said Saturday... Officials
      at Germany's Friedrich-Loeffler Institute determined Friday that a goose
      in the town of Wickersdorf had died of the H5N1 virus... "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/t2007/07/07/europe/EU-GEN-Germany-Bird-Flu.php

      CZECHS TO CULL HEALTHY POULTRY FLOCKS TO STOP BIRD FLU: (07/12/07):
      "Czech authorities decided Thursday to slaughter 68,000 healthy poultry
      in three commercial farms near the latest two H5N1 occurrences in an
      attempt to halt the spread of the bird flu in the area, said Josef
      Duben, a spokesman for the state veterinarians. The three broiler
      chicken and turkey farms lie within three kilometres of the farms, in
      eastern Bohemia, where the H5N1 bird flu strain, known to be deadly to
      humans, was confirmed Wednesday... Scientists fear the virus could
      mutate into a form easily transmissible between humans, which could
      touch off a global pandemic that would kill millions of people."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/82174.html

      10,000 MORE BIRDS TO BE CULLED IN GUANGZHOU: (09/18/07): "Chinese
      authorities plan to cull another 10,000 domestic birds in the city of
      Guangzhou, capital of southern Guangdong Province, in a further attempt
      to contain the latest bird flu outbreak. According to China's central
      media agency, Xinhua, at least 36,130 ducks have been culled since a
      strain of H5N1 bird flu killed 9,830 ducks in the Sixian Village of
      Panyu District in Guangzhou City... Ranking first in farm output, where
      over 300 million farm workers work on mostly small plots of land, China
      is the world's largest producer of poultry and other livestock... "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/82753.php

      BIRD FLU MUTATION SETS STAGE FOR FLU PANDEMIC: (10/05/07): "The deadly
      bird flu virus has mutated and may infect people more easily if it
      begins spreading from human to human, according to a new study.
      Scientist Dr. Yoshihiro Kawaoka, of the University of Wisconsin-Madison,
      said the H5N1 virus, commonly referred to as the bird flu, has mutated
      and can now develop in the upper respiratory systems of humans, which
      may increase the chances of the virus spreading from one person to
      another. Recent virus samples taken from birds in Africa and Europe
      show mutations that resemble human viruses, Kawaoka stated in a report
      published in the Public Library of Science journal PLoS Pathogens... "

      DEADLY H5N1 BIRD FLU HITS SECOND TURKEY FARM: (11/19/07): "A second
      case of the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu has been found in turkeys at
      a farm near last week's initial outbreak, the Department for the
      Environment, Food and Rural Affairs confirmed today. All 9,000 turkeys
      have already been slaughtered at the new infected premises, Hill Meadow
      Farm in Knettishall, on the Norfolk-Suffolk border. Deadly bird flu
      hits second farm About 6,000 birds were slaughtered after last week's
      initial outbreak in Redgrave..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/19/nbird119.xml

      HOW BIRD FLU HAS SPREAD (INTERACTIVE MAP):
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/world/05/bird_flu_map/html/1.stm

      *06: Cancer: Flaxseed, Meat, & Diet, Soft Drinks=Heart Disease
      MEAT, DAIRY NUTRIENT MAY RAISE CANCER RISK, SAYS STUDY: (08/13/07):
      "Choline, a nutrient found in meat, eggs and dairy products, has been
      linked to a possible increase in the risk of colorectal cancer in women,
      reveals a study published in the Journal of the National Cancer
      Institute... the study, published online in the August 8 2007 issue of
      JNCI, is the first to examine the link between choline and colorectal
      polyps, and the researchers cautioned that more studies need to be
      conducted as other components of diets high in choline may be
      responsible for the association. Choline has until now been considered
      an essential nutrient that plays a role in normal cell function and
      transportation of nutrients through the body. Dietary sources include
      eggs, beef liver, chicken liver and wheat germ... the researchers sent
      food-frequency questionnaires to [39,246] women enrolled in the Nurses'
      Health Study every two to four years from 1984 to 2002..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/news/ng.asp?n=78993&m=1FNU813&c=bxxjrzazfjatrzo

      SOFT DRINKS LINKED TO HEART DISEASE VIA METABOLIC SYNDROME: (07/24/07):
      "A new US study has found that drinking more than one soft drink a day,
      whether regular or diet, may be linked to an increased risk of
      developing heart disease, via an increase in metabolic syndrome, a group
      of characteristics like excess girth, high blood pressure, and other
      factors that increase the chances of getting diabetes and cardiovascular
      problems. The findings are published in the early online edition of
      Circulation, the journal of the American Heart Association... The study
      included 9,000 "person observations" taken at three different times over
      a four year period ... [among the findings]:

      * 31 per cent greater risk of developing new-onset obesity (defined as a
      body mass index or BMI of 30 kilograms per meter squared or higher). *
      30 per cent higher risk of developing an increased waist circumference.
      * 25 per cent increased risk of developing high blood triglycerides or
      high fasting blood glucose. * 32 per cent increased risk of having low
      HDL ("good" cholesterol). * A trend towards an increased risk of
      developing high blood pressure, but this was not statistically
      significant... "

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/77616.php

      [See also:
      http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/07/24/diet.sodas/

      FLAXSEED MAY SLOW PROSTATE CANCER GROWTH: (06/03/07): "Flaxseed
      supplementation significantly reduced cancer cell proliferation rates in
      men with prostate cancer, investigators in a multicenter study found.
      Flaxseed, alone or combined with a low-fat diet, slowed cell growth
      rates compared with diet alone or a control group, said Wendy
      Demark-Wahnefried, Ph.D., of Duke University. ... Flaxseed is one of the
      richest known sources of lignans, which affect androgen metabolism and
      have antimitotic, antiangiogenic, antioxidant, and estrogenic effects,
      said Dr. Demark-Wahnefried. Flaxseed also is the richest known source
      of plant-derived omega-3 fatty acids, which influence cell membrane
      synthesis, circulating levels of protein kinase C and tyrosine kinases,
      and levels of natural killer cells, she said... "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASCOMeeting/tb/5831

      SIX GOOD EATING HABITS THAT WILL HELP PREVENT CANCER: (11/01/07):
      "Excess body weight, even just a little, increases your risk of cancer,
      according to a study released this week by the American Institute for
      Cancer Research. But staying active and following six rules for good
      eating can turn the odds back in your favor, researchers say.
      Researchers analyzed more than 7,000 large-scale studies over five years
      and are now convinced... that excess body fat increases risks for cancer
      of the colon, kidney, pancreas, esophagus and uterus, as well as breast
      cancer in post-menopausal women... Among the eight steps the 517-page
      report recommends are six that relate directly to diet. Top of that
      list: two-thirds of every meal should be made up of plant-based foods,
      such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables and beans.... The panel
      specifically advocated abstinence from all processed meats, such as
      bacon, ham and other lunchmeats....

      1. Be as lean as possible within the normal range of body weight 2. Be
      physically active as part of everyday life 3. Limit consumption of
      "energy-dense foods," foods that are high in calories, fat and sugar.
      Avoid sugary drinks. 4. Eat mostly foods of plant origin, including
      fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans 5. Limit intake of red meat
      and avoid processed meat 6. Limit alcoholic drinks to one per day for
      women, two per day for men 7. Limit consumption of salt. Avoid moldy
      grains or legumes 8. Aim to meet nutritional needs through diet alone,
      without dietary supplement."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/nov/01/health

      *07: Joyous Vegan, 10 Steps, What's In Food, Neptune's Navy
      10 QUESTIONS FOR ACTIVIST JULIA BUTTERFLY HILL: (11/2007): "At age 33,
      activist Julia Butterfly Hill is already an icon of the environmental
      movement... Luna, a movie by Participant Productions, based on Hill's
      book, The Legacy of Luna, is in the works...

      "Are you a vegetarian? Why or why not?"

      I am a JOYOUS Vegan! I never say I am Vegan without adding the word
      "Joyous" to it because when some people hear "vegan," they think things
      like rigid, boring, bland, angry, and judgmental. I LOVE life. I love
      celebrating my connection with Creation through the mindfulness of what
      I eat. Ultimately, I want people to eat with awareness and mindfulness,
      which means that first and foremost, eat local, local, local. People who
      say they are vegetarian because of animal rights but then have their
      food shipped from hundreds to thousands of miles away are not
      recognizing the enormous impact on animals (including human animals)
      from energy consumption...."

      [Edited from from the excellent interview at:
      http://www.emagazine.com/view/?3914&src=QSA143

      VEGAN CULINARY ACTIVISM IN 10 YUMMY STEPS: (06/2007): "... Of course,
      we can't all invent a good tasting soy cheese (but can someone?
      Please?), so I humbly offer 10 steps even the most activist-phobic among
      us can use to help create a vegan world. While these things may seem
      obvious, maybe even insignificant in light of what animals are going
      through every day, look at it as a chipping away at our meat and dairy
      based culture. Also, dealing with issues of animal abuse can take a
      toll on a person's psyche, make us cynical, depressed and, worst of all,
      make us lose hope. It's important that we keep our spirits up, and
      sometimes seeing the words "Vegan Muffin!" in a bakery's display case
      can feel like reading a newspaper headline declaring "Bush Impeached!"

      To that end, here are 10 yummy ways to do your part in creating the
      vegan world we all want to live in..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.satyamag.com/jun07/isa.html

      THERE'S A LOT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT WHAT'S IN YOUR FOOD: (07/03/07):
      "... Nearly three quarters of all processed foods contain genetically
      engineered ingredients... Rather than being relegated to its own
      supermarket section, this food sits unlabeled on grocery store shelves,
      allowing a handful of transnational biotech companies to profit
      handsomely as consumers shop blindly. In his new book, Your Right to
      Know: Genetic Engineering and the Secret Changes in Your Food, Andrew
      Kimbrell explores the risks of this technology and what genetic
      engineering means to our health, the environment and the future of
      agriculture.... an activist for more than 20 years, Kimbrell has been at
      the forefront of legal and grassroots efforts to protect the environment
      and promote sustainable agricultural production methods. His written
      work has appeared in the New York Times, Washington Post, and Harper's.
      He has testified at numerous congressional and regulatory hearings, [is
      in the Mad Cowboy Documentary] and in 1994, Utne Reader named Kimbrell
      as one of the world's leading 100 visionaries.

      ... Petrovic: Why did you choose to write this book now?

      Kimbrell: Actually, I didn't choose to write this book right now. I wish
      I could have stopped my fingers three years ago... As a matter of fact,
      as we've seen in corn and soy, we have seen actual yield decreases
      because of genetic engineering. Not an increase, no more vitamins. We've
      seen, actually, FDA studies that show that it actually decreases vitamin
      content in food. So, why is it popular? Why do farmers use it? Because
      it's very convenient. You don't have to spot spray your herbicide just
      on the weed, you can, for the first time, aerial spray your herbicides
      over your entire crop and it won't kill your crop, it'll just kill the
      weeds. Although, those weeds are becoming more and more resistant and
      now we're having to use more and more..."

      [Very edited from from the great interview at:
      http://www.alternet.org/story/55847/

      NEPTUNE'S NAVY - PAUL WATSON'S WILD CRUSADE TO SAVE THE OCEANS:
      (11/05/07): "Watson, the founder of the Sea Shepherd Conservation
      Society, a vigilante organization that was founded thirty years ago,
      with one of its ships, the Farley Mowat, a trawler that has nearly sunk
      three times...

      "People say, 'You're incredibly arrogant,' " Watson told me. "I say,
      when you're dealing with a species that's as arrogant as the human race
      you've got to be arrogant to believe that you can actually change it."
      He regards civilization's greatest artistic and cultural
      achievements-from architecture to music and film-as expressions of human
      vanity, "worthless to the earth." He sometimes asks people to imagine
      the outrage that would occur if someone were to destroy, say, the
      Vatican or the "Mona Lisa," and he compares that with the indifference
      that people exhibit toward the mass extinction of plants and animals.
      "In anthropocentric society, a harsh judgment is given to those that
      destroy or seek to destroy the creations of humanity," he has written.
      "Monkey-wrench a bulldozer and they will call you a vandal. Spike a tree
      and they will call you a terrorist. Liberate a coyote from a trap and
      they will call you a thief. Yet if a human destroys the wonders of
      creation, the beauty of the natural world, then anthropocentric society
      calls such people loggers, miners, developers, engineers, and
      businessmen."

      [Very edited from the long, fascinating, extremely well-researched, and
      reasonably fair article at:
      http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/11/05/071105fa_fact_khatchadourian?printable=true

      *08: Veg Video Theater
      KING CORN: "A year out of Yale, best pals Curt Ellis and Ian Cheney
      returned to their Midwestern roots to grow an acre of corn on a farm
      just across the Minnesota border in Iowa. Out of the venture grew a
      documentary film linking America's abundance of major, subsidized crops
      to its obesity epidemic. The national weight problem is fed, in some
      part, by the prevalence of grain-fed beef, corn-sweetened soft drinks,
      and soybean-based cooking oils, they say. Any other year, the film by
      Ellis and Cheney might have found a rapt audience among fringe public
      health advocates and then been promptly forgotten. But this year,
      obesity has become a national obsession just as Congress is embarking on
      one of its periodic overhauls of the nation's farm policy...."

      [Very edited from from an interesting article discussing many aspects of
      the Farm Bill at:
      http://www.startribune.com/10223/story/1516460.html

      [Faster YouTube Video than the trailer on the doc's website:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCRwMMh9k8

      [King Corn website:
      http://www.kingcorn.net

      PCRM'S HILARIOUS, YET EFFECTIVE, ACTIVIST FARM BILL VIDEO: "It may
      surprise you to learn that the federal government buys up millions of
      dollars worth of bacon, burgers, and fatty meat and dairy products and
      dumps them in our schools and food assistance programs. This practice
      persists, in part, because companies making these unhealthy products
      give millions of dollars to members of Congress through political action
      committees. Until these practices end, stopping childhood obesity will
      remain a difficult challenge... Please CALL your senators today and ask
      them to vote YES on the FRESH Amendment. Then, SEND a follow-up
      e-mail...

      [The website with many useful resources and activist assistance:
      http://www.pcrm.org/childhoodobesity/

      [The video...:
      http://www.youtube.com/v/FurT0Vc1Xpw

      KUCINICH'S OPENING DURING GLOBAL WARMING DEBATE:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbkZo5YOCNM

      SATELLITE CAPTURES EARTH 'RISING' AND 'SETTING': "A Japanese satellite
      has captured the first high definition images of the Earth from the
      moon... Footage taken from 62 miles above the lunar surface shows the
      most-detailed yet pictures of an "Earth-rise" and "Earth-set" above the
      moon's horizon. Series of five images of the Earth setting as seen from
      the Moon

      [From:
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/11/14/scimoon114.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

      [Better source:
      http://www.selene.jaxa.jp/en/communication/com_information_e.htm#NEW_20071114A

      *09: Veg Alien, Future Big Mac, 25lbs Fat, Salt Lick Contest
      [The amazing "vegetable" alien:
      http://www.framebox.de/creations/3d/salad/

      [Extrapolating the future evolution of the Big Mac:
      http://calorielab.com/news/2007/01/16/from-big-mac-to-chici-mac-the-future-of-fast-food/

      [Satirical activist "Learn how to manage a McDonald's" interactive game:
      http://www.mcvideogame.com

      [Bizarro accurate description of a deli sandwhich:
      http://www.bizarro.com/vegan/vegan_cartoon13.htm

      [Just how big is 25 lbs. of rendered pig fat?:
      http://ruralvegan.com/2007/10/03/who-eats-this/

      [Cow art at its finest: Results of the recent Salt Lick Contest:
      http://www.saltlickcity.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

      *10: Organic: Better, Heart Healthy, High Yields --- US Food Declines
      OFFICIAL: ORGANIC REALLY IS BETTER: (10/28/07): "The biggest study into
      organic food has found that it is more nutritious than ordinary produce
      and may help to lengthen people's lives. The evidence from the �12m
      four-year project will end years of debate and is likely to overturn
      government advice that eating organic food is no more than a lifestyle
      choice. The study found that organic fruit and vegetables contained as
      much as 40% more antioxidants, which scientists believe can cut the risk
      of cancer and heart disease, Britain's biggest killers. They also had
      higher levels of beneficial minerals such as iron and zinc....
      Researchers grew fruit and vegetables and reared cattle on adjacent
      organic and nonorganic sites on a 725-acre farm attached to Newcastle
      University, and at other sites in Europe... they also found that organic
      tomatoes from Greece had significantly higher levels of antioxidants,
      including flavo-noids thought to reduce coronary heart disease.... "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article2753446.ece

      ORGANIC FOOD 'BETTER' FOR HEART: (07/05/07): "A ten-year study
      comparing organic tomatoes with standard produce found almost double the
      level of flavonoids - a type of antioxidant. Flavonoids have been
      shown to reduce high blood pressure, lowering the risk of heart disease
      and stroke. Writing in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry,
      the team said nitrogen in the soil may be the key. Dr Alyson Mitchell,
      a food chemist at the University of California, and colleagues measured
      the amount of two flavonoids - quercetin and kaempferol - in dried
      tomato samples that had been collected as part of a long-term study on
      agricultural methods. These findings also confirm recent European
      research, which showed that organic tomatoes, peaches and processed
      apples all have higher nutritional quality than non-organic. They found
      that on average they were 79% and 97% higher respectively in the organic
      tomatoes than in the conventionally grown fruit... Flavonoids have also
      been linked with reduced rates of some types of cancer and dementia....
      "

      [Very edited from:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/6272634.stm

      ORGANIC FARMS PROVIDE JOBS, HIGH YIELDS: (07/03/07): "A study released
      in May by Britain's Soil Association concludes that organic farming
      provides 32 percent more jobs per farm in the United Kingdom than
      conventional agriculture does. According to the study, 93,000 new jobs
      could be created if all of Britain's farms were to switch to organic
      practices, which include avoiding the use of toxic chemical inputs and
      genetically altered seeds. Such job creation could not be replicated in
      non-organic farming, the report notes, because "it is the system of
      organic farming itself that demands more labour and creates more jobs."
      ... Even in industrialized countries, studies suggest that organic
      farms generate nearly as high yields (80-97 percent) as conventional
      farms, while some crops show no yield difference at all. According to
      Catherine Badgley, a research scientist at the University of Michigan, a
      global shift to organic farming could produce enough calories to feed
      the entire human population and potentially 75 percent more calories
      than are produced now..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.bluemoonfund.org/news/news_show.htm?doc_id=379942

      STILL NO FREE LUNCH: NUTRIENT LEVELS IN U.S. FOOD SUPPLY ERODED BY
      PURSUIT OF HIGH YIELDS: (09/2007): "Steady progress in increasing crop
      yields and animal production levels has often been achieved at the
      expense of food nutrional quality, the environment, and in some cases,
      food safety and animal health. This "Critical Issue Report" documents
      the extent of nutrient decline, reviews ways that farmers and breeders
      can increase nutrient density, and explains the importance of doing so
      in order to improve public health. The full report 44-page report is
      available in pdf format below, as well as the five-page Foreword and
      Executive Summary, and the press release announcing the report's
      availability."

      [From:
      http://www.organic-center.org/science.latest.php?action=view&report_id=115

      MAR 20-21 > Toronto
      APR 12-13 > NYC
      APR 18-19-20 > Ohio
      APR 25-26-27 > Central IL
      MAY 17-18 > Chicago, IL
      JUN 26-29 > Johnstown, PA

      [More information/embedded links for contact information at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *12: Quick Bytes
      AGRICULTURE:

      [SUPERB CSA (community supported agriculture) interactive resource:"
      http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/csa/

      BLOGS/PODCASTS:

      [Compassionate Cooking Podcast:
      http://www.compassionatecooks.com

      ["Organic Consumers: Read, Blog & Meet-up!:"
      http://organicconsumers.org/chat/index.php

      [The Mad Cowboy Newsletter Editor's Vegan Blog:
      http://www.soulveggie.com

      [Podcasts, radio:
      http://www.veganradio.com/

      ["The FatFreeVegan Blog:"
      http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

      ["The Vegan Lunch Box Blog (PETA & Bloggy Award-winning:"
      http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com

      [Bryanna Clark Grogan's Blog:
      http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/

      ["Raw Vegan Blog and Podcasts:"
      http://www.rawveganradio.blogspot.com/

      ["Recommended Blogs & Websites for Food & Farming Information:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/2006/article_563.cfm

      NEWSLETTERS/GROUPS/LISTS/FORUMS:

      [Farmed Animal Net:
      http://www.farmedanimal.net/

      [VegNews Monthly Newsletter:
      http://www.vegnews.com

      [FARMUSA's MeatOut Monday Newsletter:
      http://meatoutmondays.org

      [PCRM Membership News and Info:
      Send e-mail to: membership@...

      [Vegetarians In Paradise Newsletter:
      http://www.vegparadise.com

      [International Vegetarian Union Newsletter:
      http://www.ivu.org/news/index.html

      ["In a Vegetarian Kitchen: (Nava Atlas):"
      http://www.vegkitchen.com

      ["International Organization for Animal Protection:"
      http://www.oipa.org/

      ["VeggieBoards:"
      http://www.veggieboards.com

      RECIPES:

      [Over 10,000 veg'n recipe links:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VegRecipes.html

      ["Over 1,000 International (regional) Vegetarian Recipes:"
      http://www.ivu.org/recipes/regions.html

      [PCRM Recipe Archives:
      http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/recipe_archive.html

      [Almost 2,000 searchable fat-free veg'n recipes:
      http://www.fatfree.com

      [Awardwinning searchable veg'n recipe database:
      http://vegweb.com/

      [Constantly wonderful site of vegan recipes:
      http://www.fatfreevegan.com/

      VEGAN

      [Nana's Vegan Cookies online!:
      http://www.healthycrowd.com/

      *13: Closing Thoughts
      "The bottom line is that to be a conservationist and an
      environmentalist, you must practise and promote vegetarianism or better
      yet veganism.

      It is the lifestyle that leaves the shallowest ecological footprint,
      uses fewer resources and produces less greenhouse gas emissions, it's
      healthier and it means you're not a hypocrite.

      In fact a vegan driving a hummer would be contributing less greenhouse
      gas carbon emissions than a meat eater riding a bicycle."

      --- Capt. Paul Watson, in the thought-provoking essay at:

      http://www.permaworld.org/members/permaworld/weblog/a_very_inconvenient_truth_-.html