12_20_06: Letter from Howard, New Mad Cowboy Interview

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2006
      Howdy! Welcome to the 56th edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter.

      We a couple of special holiday treats today. First, a letter to
      y'all from the Big Guy himself:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_HolidayLetter2006.html

      As Howard mentions, the Mad Cowboy Documentary recently won an
      Artivist Award. Here's the Press Release and a link to pictures
      taken at the event:

      http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20061201005138&newsLang=en

      http://www.madcowboy.com/06_1220_ArtivistPixF/index.html

      Also in this issue, we've a new interactive "Mad Cowboy Interview"
      with Dr. Suzanna Havala Hobbs. A well-known author, speaker, and
      nutritionist, Suzanna has just published her 10th book: "Get the
      Trans Fat Out: 601 Simple Ways to Cut the Trans Fat Out of Any
      Diet." You'll see some snippets from the interview and a link to the
      full two-parter below. If you aren't aware of Trans Fat in your
      diet, you need to be.

      Reading onward, there's a lot of activity in the Mad Cow Info
      Round-up regarding BSE and related issues, several links to Veg'n
      Holidaze Recipes, more articles about vegetables helping prevent skin
      cancer, mental decline, and maybe cancers in general. There's
      information about new surveys of bacteria in purchased chickens, the
      infamous "Robo-Deer" and Singing Sheep, a disturbing new US law
      affecting animal issues activists, South Korea having the world's
      largest garbage-fueled power plant, a definitive study by the UN on
      the global climate change impact of meat-eating, and a surprise about
      what you can do with cell phones while shopping for food in Japan.

      ... and, as always, a tip of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all
      can read past issues of the newsletter at:

      Best Wishes to Everyone for a Happy Holidaze, Warm Winter Solstice,
      and Great New Year!

      Mark
      [personal vegan blog: http://www.soulveggie.com]

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quote(s) from Howard
      01: A Mad Cowboy Interview with Dr. Suzanne Havala Hobbs
      03: Veg'n Holiday Recipe Links
      04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      05: Skin Cancer, Cancer, IQ, Mental Decline >> Eat Veggies
      06: Bacteria in Chicken, Ham/Turkey Recall, 600 Ill, More Outbreaks
      07: Robo-Deer, Singing Sheep, Rough Peek, Food & Cell Phones
      08: Animal: Terrorism Act, Political Party, Law Suit, Root'n'Shoots
      09: Garbage Fuels, Pesticides/Kids, GMO Fuzzy, Meat=Climate Change
      10: Howard's Schedule
      11: Quick Bytes
      12: Closing Thoughts

      *00: Quote(s) from Howard
      "...the smartest thing I ever did was to start down a path that
      eventually led me to become a vegan. It was a process that took
      years; I made some mistakes along the way, and I'm still learning.
      But I have arrived now at a diet that leaves me with more energy than
      I've felt since I was a kid, and leaves my doctor shaking his head in
      wonder at all the glorious numbers in my blood work --- one hell of
      an improvement over the ominous numbers that used to make me think
      that my only hope was to buy more life insurance. I understand now
      that no change could produce as much benefit for our land and the
      water --- and our health --- than a shift among the American populace
      toward a plant-based diet."

      [From: "No More Bull!" by Howard Lyman, pp. 08]

      *01: A Mad Cowboy Interview with Dr. Suzanne Havala Hobbs
      [some snippets from the Mad Cowboy Interview with Dr. Suzanne Havala
      Hobbs, author of: "Getting Trans Fat Out: 601 Simple Ways to cut
      the Trans Fat Out of Any Diet."]

      M: "Now, you've written 9 books, which is amazing in itself, I don't
      know how you find time to do so much. And now, you've just published
      your tenth book: "Get the Trans Fat Out: 601 simple Ways to Cut the
      Trans Fat Out of Any Diet." This begs the big question: what are
      trans fats and why should we be worried about them?"

      S: "Trans fats are primarily a man-made fat, created when vegetable
      oil is bombarded with hydrogen, and the chemical nature of the liquid
      oil is changed. Trans fats stimulate the body to produce more
      cholesterol, and they are associated with greater rates of coronary
      artery disease. A recent report by the Institute of Medicine (IOM)
      concluded that there's no safe level of intake of trans fat, and that
      people should minimize their exposure to trans fats."

      [snip]

      M: "If you were the Food Czar of the United States, and had complete
      authority over all aspects of diet, nutrition, the food supply, what
      we eat, how we eat, and so on... what would you do, Madam?"

      S: [snip]... I would make sure that people in all neighborhoods had
      access to fresh seasonal locally grown produce, and to meal programs.
      I would have universal free meals for kids in schools, and I would
      put greater restrictions on advertising that targets children with
      junk food, and I would integrate nutrition education into the public
      school curricula, from the very earliest age, from kindergarten on
      up. I think nutrition and health, just like personal finance should
      be integrated into the curriculum. We should be giving kids
      practical life skills

      S: [snip - regarding her new book]...I think so often, people get
      fixated on one aspect of diet and they lose sight of the bigger
      picture, so I always try to put information in perspective and in the
      context of the total diet. I also think that it makes people see
      that it's easier to pull this off if they see that all this advice is
      interrelated, and that the net result is that you can eat one way and
      address all of the various recommendations that people are hit with
      all the time. Get more fiber, eat less saturated fat, avoid trans
      fat, moderate your protein intake, lower your sodium intake --- ALL
      of that advice can be achieved by eating the same way."

      [You can read the full interview (with embedded links) at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_MCIview04.000.html

      LAST WEEK'S MAD COWBOY VEGAN MIND-BENDER:

      Around 300 million turkeys are killed each year. Approx. what
      percentage of that number are slaughtered just for Thanksgiving
      alone?"

      (a) 75% (b) 50% (c) 25% (d) 15%

      Congratulations to Shar Bracke for being correct and winning the luck
      of the draw!

      ["Most people don't stop to think about the nearly 300 million birds
      that are killed each year in the U.S., just to satisfy our taste
      buds. Of this number, 45 million are killed for Thanksgiving alone."
      http://www.compassionatecooks.com/blog/2006/11/talking-turkey.html

      THIS WEEK'S VEGAN MIND-BENDER:
      "Of the following, beer, milk, bottled water, and coffee: which does
      the average American drink the most of by week?"

      (a) beer (b) milk (c) coffee (d) nice try - about the same of each

      Please e-mail guesses to: webmaster@... with the word
      "contest" in your subject line by NLT January 15, 2007.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting
      the correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to
      Joe, and you can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *03: Veg'n Holiday Recipe Links
      ["Bryanna Clark Grogan Xmas and Winter Holiday Vegan Recipes:"
      http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1553047.htm

      ["VeganFamily Xmas Recipes:"
      http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/yule.html

      ["VegSoc Xmas 2006 Vegan Recipes:"
      http://www.vegsoc.org/christmas/2006/index.html

      ["BBC Vegan Xmas Menus/Recipes:"
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/vegetarian_and_vegan/veganchristmasmenus.shtml

      ["European Vegan Holiday Recipes:"
      http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/ebooks/free/veganholiday/contents.html

      ["Cherry's Vegan Xmas Recipes:"
      http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/christmas.htm

      ["VegWeb Winter Holiday Recipes:"
      http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=307.0

      ["Cat-Tea: Tons of Great Vegan Recipes:"
      http://www.catteacorner.com/recipes.htm

      ["Holiday Tricks to Fill the Vegan Void:"
      http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/living/1162587346292680.xml&coll=7

      ["International Vegetarian Union's Holiday Recipes:"
      http://www.ivu.org/recipes/holiday/

      ["What to Serve When Veg'ns Visit at the Holidays:"
      http://www.veggievisitors.com/recipes.asp

      ["Tips to avoid packing on pounds:"
      http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=health&id=4836050

      *04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      SEOUL BANS SALE OF US BEEF WITH BONE FRAGMENTS: (11/24/06): "The
      government said it will not allow the first batch of beef shipped
      from the United States to be sold in the country after a bone
      fragment was detected in a package. The detection of a bone fragment
      in the beef, which arrived at Incheon International Airport last
      month, is expected to trigger fresh concerns about the safety of U.S.
      beef. The U.S. shipped 8.9 tons of beef in about 720 separate
      packages, the first shipment to South Korea since the latter lifted
      its three-year ban on U.S. beef following the reporting of a case of
      mad cow disease in the U.S. At a news briefing, the National
      Veterinary Research & Quarantine Service (NVRQS) said it has asked
      the government to destroy the beef or send it back to the U.S.
      Meanwhile, Japan suspended poultry imports from South Korea on
      Thursday after a suspected bird flu outbreak in Iksan, North Cholla
      Province. Japan has started disinfecting the shoes of travelers from
      Korea when entering the country, said Chief Cabinet Secretary
      Yasuhisa Shiozaki."

      [Edited from:
      http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/200611/kt2006112417211910160.htm

      FDA TO CHEW OVER MAD COW RISKS: (11/27/06): "The U.S. Food and
      Drug Administration is seeking advice from a panel of experts on how
      to communicate to the public the risk that products derived from
      human plasma could transmit the human form of Mad Cow Disease. The
      risk of the products to transmit Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease,
      or VCJD, "is highly uncertain, but appears likely to be very low,"
      the agency said in documents posted on its Web site Monday.
      "Nevertheless, FDA believes it is appropriate to share both the
      findings of and the uncertainties in our risk assessment ... with
      physicians, patients, and the general public since it is possible
      that the risk is not zero," the agency added."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.smartmoney.com/bn/on/index.cfm?story=ON-20061127-000419-1314&nav=pf_hp

      U.S. AGRICULTURE SECRETARY CRITICIZES SOUTH KOREA FOR REJECTING BEEF
      SHIPMENT: (11/28/06): "Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns harshly
      criticized South Korea for halting beef shipments from a U.S.
      meatpacker, saying authorities there had "invented" a standard for
      imports. "They have applied a standard we did not agree to. It was a
      standard that they invented along the way," Johanns told reporters
      Tuesday. Both countries have agreed to accept only boneless beef
      from the United States, because some Asian countries consider bone to
      carry a greater risk for mad cow disease. That is stricter than
      international rules, which deem many bone-in cuts of beef to be safe.
      Johanns said: "South Korea has been, until this arose, pretty
      straightforward to deal with, but you can't trade under these
      circumstances. "And so my hope is that we can get this solved and we
      can get beef moving into Korea like we agreed upon," he said. "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/11/28/america/NA_GEN_US_Mad_Cow_Korea.php

      USDA RESUMES PLAN TO EASE MAD-COW STRICTURES ON CANADIAN CATTLE:
      (11/28/06): "The U.S. Department of Agriculture said it will proceed
      with a plan to expand beef and cattle trade with Canada after putting
      the proposal on hold in July when Canada found its seventh case of
      mad-cow disease. The department has resubmitted a proposal to the
      White House Office of Management and Budget that would allow
      shipments of cattle over 30 months of age and beef from the older
      animals, spokesman Jim Rogers said. The U.S. currently allows only
      animals 30 months or younger destined for immediate slaughter and
      boneless beef from cattle of that age... Scientists say cattle under
      30 months are at little risk of contracting BSE, which has a rare but
      fatal human form. The USDA also argues that beef from cattle of any
      age is safe, once the tissues that harbor the BSE-causing agent,
      including the brain and spinal cord, have been removed from the
      carcass."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=a0oFc7R5tXEM&refer=canada

      IS IT REALLY ALZHEIMER'S?: (11/28/06): "Tens of thousands of
      Americans are diagnosed with Alzheimer's each year, but some
      scientists now question if doctors are overlooking other possible
      causes for dementia. A brain scan offers clues about what's causing
      memory loss, explains UCSD neurologist Adam Fleisher. "The spaces
      inside the brain and outside the brain as the brain is shrinking,"
      said neurologist Adam Fleisher. But forgetfulness and mental decline
      don't always mean Alzheimer's. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease or CJD, a
      rare brain infection associated with mad cow disease, also causes
      dementia. And some scientists suggest some cases of Alzheimer's are
      actually CJD. Short-term memory loss is associated with Alzheimer's,
      while long-term memory loss is common early on among CJD patients.
      The Centers for Disease Control is now collecting autopsy data to
      determine if Alzheimer's disease is indeed being mis-diagnosed. So
      far, they say more than 92% of Alzheimer's cases are correctly
      diagnosed."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5738334

      CZECHS SAY BSE UNDER CONTROL DESPITE 25TH INFECTED COW: (11/29/06):
      "Officials confirmed Wednesday a 25th case of the mad-cow disease BSE
      in the Czech Republic, but said the infection rate has declined
      significantly since peaking last year. Czech veterinarians have
      detected only two, BSE-tainted cows so far this year, compared with a
      record eight last year and seven in 2004."

      [Edited from:
      http://rawstory.com/news/2006/Czechs_say_BSE_under_control_despit_11292006.html

      SOUTH KOREA DECLARES FIRST BIRD FLU OUTBREAK IN THREE YEARS:
      (11/28/06): "The bird flu has struck South Korea after three years
      of little to no activity. The H5N1 virus is a highly virulent strain
      that could potentially spread to and kill humans. South Korea's
      Agriculture Ministry said earlier this week it suspected bird flu had
      killed 6,000 chickens at a farm in the southwest of the country that
      lies on a path for migratory birds. A Ministry official said "It is
      the H5N1 strain" after seeing test results from the suspected case.
      After the results were reported, the Agriculture Ministry ordered the
      culling of 236,000 poultry within a 1,640-foot radius of the farm in
      South Korea's North Cholla province, which is located about 100 miles
      from Seoul. In addition, quarantine authorities also banned the
      shipment of more than 5 million poultry from 221 farms within a
      6.2-mile radius of the farm. After the 2003 South Korean outbreak,
      tests in the U.S. indicated that at least nine South Korean workers
      involved in the cull had been infected with the H5N1 virus. However,
      none of the infected workers developed major illnesses. Since 2003,
      outbreaks have been confirmed in around 50 countries and territories
      around the globe."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.newstarget.com/021189.html

      JOHANNS RULES OUT MANDATORY LIVESTOCK ID: (11/29/06): "The Bush
      administration has ruled out requiring livestock producers to
      participate in a national animal identification system. "Producers
      want a voluntary system," Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said
      Tuesday. "They just recoil against this notion that it's going to be
      the Washington way or the highway." Earlier this year, Johanns had
      said that the system would initially be voluntary but might be made
      mandatory if enrollment targets were not met. His predecessor, Anne
      Veneman, had pledged to speed development of a nationwide animal ID
      system after the nation's first case of mad cow disease was
      discovered in Washington state three years ago. However, the ID plan
      has run into resistance from producers, especially in the cattle
      industry and among small-scale farms, who don't want to be forced to
      buy ID tags for their livestock or worry about the privacy of farm
      data. An ID program is supposed to allow investigators to quickly
      track suspect livestock in case of a disease outbreak."

      [Edited from:
      http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061129/BUSINESS01/611290362/1030

      BIRD FLU: S KOREA SLAUGHTERS DOGS, CATS, PIGS, MICE: (11/29/06):
      "South Korean quarantine officials in Iksan City on Tuesday began the
      slaughter of pigs and dogs although international health experts have
      questioned the necessity of killing non-poultry species to prevent
      the spread of bird flu. But the officials insist the decision to
      slaughter pigs and dogs was not unusual and that the step has been
      taken in other countries without public knowledge. Park Kyung-hee,
      an official at Iksan city hall, said Wednesday 426 pigs and four dogs
      have been killed along with 127,200 chickens and 6.8 million eggs.
      Park said nearly 700 dogs -- bred on farms for consumption -- were to
      be killed, but it was unclear when the slaughter would take place.
      She said efforts are focused on destroying more susceptible animals
      like poultry and pigs for now.

      Dogs bred for food are regularly slaughtered in South Korea, where
      dog meat is widely consumed, especially among middle-aged men who
      believe bosintang, or dog soup, is good for stamina and virility.
      Animal-rights activists called the government move "unacceptable."
      "The government should know better about their course of action,"
      said Kum Sun-lan, spokesman for Korea Animal Protection Society. "It
      is unacceptable how they just move on with the extermination
      procedure without any reliable evidence for it."

      [Very edited from:
      http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-11/29/content_5406728.htm

      MAD COW-LIKE DISEASE SPREADING TO MOOSE: 11/30/06): "The Colorado
      Division of Wildlife (DOW) has confirmed that 2 legally harvested
      bull moose from northern Colorado have tested positive for chronic
      wasting disease (CWD). CWD is a fatal neurological disease that has
      been diagnosed in wild deer and elk in 10 states and 2 Canadian
      provinces. Animals show no apparent signs of illness throughout much
      of the disease course. In terminal stages of CWD, animals typically
      are emaciated and display abnormal behavior. CWD has been found in
      portions of northeastern Colorado and southeastern Wyoming for more
      than 2 decades. State and federal health officials have found no
      connection between CWD and any human illness. As a precaution,
      however, hunters are advised not to eat meat from diseased animals."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/2006/article_3460.cfm

      US ACCUSED OF BEING LAX ON BEEF SAFETY: (12/03/06): "Currently, the
      U.S. government tests only 1 percent of the roughly 100,000 cattle
      slaughtered daily. The USDA is planning to reduce daily testing for
      mad cow disease by 90 percent. It has not been confirmed whether the
      plan has been implemented, but the revised plan calls for testing
      only 0.11 percent, or about 110, of the 100,000 cattle tested daily.
      Byun Hye-jin, a ranking official at the Korean Federation of Medical
      Groups for Health Rights (KFHR), said the U.S. government's alleged
      laxness in oversight of mad cow disease is not news. "The U.S.
      agriculture industry is the No. 2 political funding source to the
      Bush administration,'' she said." "I believe the USDA's blockade for
      some meat processors' proposal to extend mad cow disease testing is
      to block fatal damages to the agriculture industry (from a
      possibility of more BSE detection).''

      [Edited from:
      http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/200612/kt2006120320321111910.htm

      U.S. SENATOR CRITICIZES S. KOREA OVER BEEF IMPORTS: (12/04/06):
      "Ahead of a new round of free trade talks with South Korea, an
      influential U.S. senator criticized South Korea Sunday for rejecting
      U.S. beef imports by applying rules too strictly. South Korea, which
      had bought US$850 million worth of U.S. beef a year, closed its doors
      to the American meat in late 2003 as mad cow disease broke out in the
      U.S. It lifted the ban earlier this year on the condition that it
      import only boneless meat to stem the mad cow fears. For the second
      time in a month, South Korea last week rejected several tons of U.S.
      beef imported with some bone pieces in the meat in violation of a
      bilateral agreement under which it agreed to resume imports.
      "American beef is safe regardless of bones," Max Baucus, a Democrat
      from Montana, told reporters while eating a beef stake [sic] for
      lunch with Kim Jong-hoon, South Korea's chief free trade negotiator,
      and his U.S. counterpart, Wendy Cutler.

      "Very delicious," Baucus repeated six times after taking a bite of
      the stake which he said was cooked with beef from cattle raised in
      Montana. "It's unfortunate that Korea continues to aggressively
      press its unscientific ban on U.S. beef with another round of free
      trade talks just days away," the senator said in a statement.
      "According to international standards, Korea should be accepting
      bone-in beef and offal as well as boneless U.S. beef right now, and
      they should move to take that step in Montana," he said. In
      Washington last week, U.S. Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns also
      warned that South Korea's rejection of U.S. beef shipments would
      negatively affect the proposed free trade deal between the two
      countries."

      [Edited from:
      http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/Engnews/20061204/640000000020061204143403E7.html

      PUBLIC HEALTH IS NO SUBJECT FOR TRADE BARGAINING: (12/04/06): "The
      fifth round of Korea-U.S. free trade talks will open Tuesday (KST) in
      Montana, one of the ``Beef-Belt'' states. Just as Korea held the
      fourth session in Cheju Island to highlight the difficulties of
      Korean fruit farmers, the U.S. intent in selecting the venue is
      beyond question. Still, stressing an industry's situation in an
      indirect manner is one thing and actually raising issue with it is
      another. The beef trade is not a formal agenda item this time, which
      should be separately discussed later... Korea's criterion _ which
      restricts imports to meat from 30-month-old cattle or younger _ is
      also more loose than Japan's 20-month limit. Japan does not even
      approve the practice of estimating cattle ages by their teeth, while
      Korea does... There are more problems. Recent reports say a dozen
      cases of mad cow disease have been found in cattle younger than 30
      months as well as in red meat, meaning import limits by age or parts
      have their own limits... public health cannot be subject for trade
      negotiations."

      [Edited from:
      http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/opinion/200612/kt2006120417401054050.htm

      POSSIBLE HUMAN MAD-COW DISEASE IN LONDON, ONT.: (12/05/06):
      "University Hospital has cancelled all surgeries, most medical
      procedures and diverted ambulances away from the site following the
      discovery of a patient who may have the human version of mad-cow
      disease. The patient had brain surgery Nov. 30, leading to the
      possibility that surgical and other medical instruments may have been
      contaminated with the brain-wasting Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.
      "I want to stress that at this point we are talking about a potential
      risk. We have not confirmed a diagnosis of CJD and therefore cannot
      confirm that any instruments were in fact contaminated," said London
      Health Sciences Centre president Cliff Nordal. Nordal said hospital
      officials are still adding up the number of patients that might have
      been in contact with contaminated instruments and it could be upwards
      of 1,500."

      [Edited from:
      http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/12/05/2637872.html

      CATTLE ATE TRACES OF ANIMAL REMAINS: (12/05/06): "The Canadian Food
      Inspection Agency said Monday that 10,000 cattle in Ontario and
      Quebec have consumed feed containing traces of animal byproducts, but
      the risk of exposing humans to mad cow disease is negligible. The
      feed used on 113 farms became contaminated recently when a rail car
      used to ship meat and bone meal for hog and poultry feed was later
      employed to transport blood meal that was added to cattle feed. The
      beef will be sold to Canadians, but the food inspection agency has
      decided to track the cattle movements so they cannot be exported.
      Darcy Unseth, a veterinarian with the agency, said Russia and Lebanon
      refuse to accept meat that comes from cattle exposed to meat and bone
      meal."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=33e3002f-aae9-4976-bfb6-bcc378ab989b&k=37675

      SAUDI MAN HAS THIRD VCJD CASE FOUND IN US: (12/05/06): "A third
      case of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) has been reported in
      a US resident, but health officials believe he contracted the disease
      in Saudi Arabia when he was a child. The patient is a young man who
      has lived in the United States since 2005 but was born and raised in
      Saudi Arabia, according to a Nov 29 report from the Centers for
      Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The man occasionally stayed in
      the United States for up to 3 months at a time since 2001 and made a
      shorter visit in 1989."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/other/bse/news/dec0506cjd.html
      JUVENILE DIABETES MAY BE CAUSED BY MAD COW PROTEIN: (12/06/06):
      "Researchers from Ottawa Health Research Institute have found a
      protein that causes a brain wasting disease called Creutzfeld-Jakob
      can cause Type 1 Diabetes as it effects the regulation of glucose in
      the blood stream. According to the team of researchers, there is no
      direct effect of the disease on the regulatory mechanism of blood
      glucose. The protein which comes in the healthy form in the blood is
      found as a twisted, deformed protein during the disease."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.medindia.net/news/view_news_main.asp?x=16500

      SOUTH KOREA SAYS BANNED BONE PIECES FOUND IN THIRD U.S. BEEF
      SHIPMENT: (12/06/06):
      "South Korea said Wednesday it has found banned bone pieces in a
      third shipment of U.S. beef and will suspend imports from the U.S.
      slaughterhouse that processed the meat. Three shipments have since
      arrived in the country, with the first two failing to meet quarantine
      requirements because they contained bone pieces. The two U.S.
      slaughterhouses where the shipments of beef were processed were
      suspended from handling meat bound for South Korea..."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/12/06/asia/AS_GEN_SKorea_US_Beef.php

      SCARE OVER BRAIN-WASTING DISEASE EASES: (12/07/06): "The fallout of
      a scare over the human equivalent of mad cow disease eased at a
      London hospital yesterday, with cancelled surgeries to resume today.
      Dozens of operations were cancelled during the two-day shutdown --
      and a general alert went out to as many as 1,500 patients who might
      have been exposed, amid concerns a brain-surgery patient might have
      the fatal, brain-wasting Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. There were
      concerns patients might have come into contact with contaminated
      hospital medical instruments. But preliminary tests came back
      negative, officials said yesterday. The hospital is waiting for
      final confirmation from testing by a federal laboratory."

      [Edited from:
      http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/National/2006/12/07/2669503-sun.html

      JAPAN FINDS 31ST CASE OF MAD COW DISEASE FOUNd: (12/08/06):
      "Japan's Health Ministry said Friday it has confirmed the country's
      31st case of mad cow disease in an animal. Tests on an 84-month-old
      Holstein showed the cow, born at a ranch on Japan's northernmost
      island of Hokkaido, was infected with the fatal illness, it said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cattlenetwork.com/content.asp?contentid=89454

      BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS HARBOR MAD COW DISEASE RISK, STUDY SHOWS:
      (12/08/06): "The human form of mad cow disease can be passed from
      person to person through blood transfusions, posing an increased
      public health risk, according to a study published in The Lancet. An
      analysis of tonsil tissue collected by the U.K's Health Protection
      Agency may soon give estimates of the number of people who are
      harboring the disease without knowing it, said researchers including
      John Collinge of the Medical Research Council Prion Unit, a publicly
      funded organization that supports U.K. health services."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=akH8IFtNnD90&refer=europe

      SOUTH KOREA USING HIGH-TECH MEASURES ON U.S. BEEF: (12/08/06):
      "South Korea has turned to X-ray machines and a lot of sharp knives
      to reject shipments of U.S. beef due to bone chips as small as grains
      of rice, prompting Washington to say Seoul is seeking excuses to turn
      back imports. South Korea, which once was the third-largest importer
      of U.S. beef, struck a deal with the United States to resume imports,
      provided the shipments do not have risky materials such as bone. And
      Seoul is abiding by the letter of the law. As a part of that
      process, it is subjecting every piece of imported U.S. beef to X-ray.
      The agriculture ministry has been able to find chips the size of a
      pea and coffee bean this way, which has prompted it to reject tonnes
      of U.S. beef. "The rejection of the third shipment clearly
      illustrates that South Korean officials are determined to find an
      excuse to reject all beef products from the United States," U.S.
      Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said this week."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SEO300540.htm

      E. COLI CASES RISING; 220 EYED IN N.Y.: (12/09/06):"Federal health
      officials warned yesterday that the number of infections from an E.
      coli outbreak traced to contaminated food at Taco Bell is continuing
      to climb, with about 220 potential cases in New York. Taco Bell
      ordered the removal of green onions from its 5,800 restaurants
      nationwide earlier this week after testing by an independent lab
      suggested the bacteria may have come from tainted scallions.
      Scallions from a California farm are considered the potential source
      of the outbreak, although health officials have not yet made a formal
      determination. McLane Co., which distributes the fast-food chain's
      vegetables, said it distributed the scallions to 450 Taco Bells in
      New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New
      Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. The CDC has counted 62 confirmed cases
      in six states, most of them in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and
      Delaware. South Carolina and Utah reported one case each.

      E. coli is ordinarily a harmless bacteria. The dangerous strain that
      caused the infections is often found in the intestines of healthy
      goats, sheep and cattle. It can be passed from person to person if
      people don't take steps such as thoroughly washing their hands."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/478627p-402612c.html

      SOUTH KOREA'S TRADE TALKS WITH US TO RESUME IN JANUARY: (12/10/06):
      "A wrangling fifth round of a free trade negotiations between the US
      and South Korea ended in a mixed atmosphere of disappointment and
      hope, South Korean media reported Sunday. Efforts to narrow the gap
      between two countries' positions failed after both sides refused to
      make key concessions. Seoul officials complained that the US would
      not agree to rewrite US trade laws to relax their anti-dumping
      duties, which South Korea believes often discriminate against its
      products. Top US negotiator Wendy Cutler termed as "extremely
      troubling" the week-long talks that took place against the backdrop
      of a Montana ski resort. It concluded with no progress over critical
      trade issues over the pharmaceuticals, automotive and beef trade. A
      sixth round of talks is scheduled January 15 in South Korea. "

      [Edited from:
      http://rawstory.com/news/2006/South_Korea_s_trade_talks_with_US_t_12102006.html

      NO CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE, BUT IOWA REMAINS VIGILANT: (12/10/06):
      "Iowa wildlife biologists still have found no chronic wasting disease
      in Iowa. However, testing will continue indefinitely, with brain
      stems and lymph nodes being taken from Iowa deer in six eastern Iowa
      counties during this fall and winter's whitetail deer seasons. The
      second shotgun season started Saturday. Chronic wasting disease
      became a concern for wildlife biologists, deer hunters and people who
      eat deer meat after the disease was found in Wisconsin, about 90
      miles from the Iowa border in 2002. At first, only deer killed in
      vehicle accidents were tested by taking a sample of brain stem
      tissue. Iowa later set up testing stations in northeast Iowa for
      hunters to bring in deer. "Since 2002 16,000 animals have been
      tested," Suchy said. "We have been concentrating on six counties
      along the Mississippi River in northeast Iowa, because of the
      proximity to Wisconsin and Illinois, where diseased deer have been
      found.""

      [Edited from:
      http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061210/SPORTS10/612100372/-1/ENT05

      ANOTHER CASE OF MAD COW DISEASE CONFIRMED IN CZECH REPUBLIC:
      (12/12/06): "A new case of mad cow disease has been confirmed in the
      Czech Republic, bringing the country's total to 26, officials said
      Tuesday."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/12/12/europe/EU_GEN_Czech_Mad_Cow.php

      ABOUT 10% OF UK PLANTS BREACH BSE RULES, REGULATOR FINDS:
      (12/12/06): "About 10 per cent of British meat cutting plants, or 47
      out of 465, are not following the regulations on bovine spongiform
      encephalopathy (BSE), according to a survey by the country's food
      regulator. The breeches of law means that some illegal animal parts,
      those with material from the spinal cord deemed to be risky, has
      ended up in the food chain, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) said in
      releasing the survey results. The survey indicates that a
      significant segment of the industry is not taking the proper
      precautions to ensure beef parts judged to be of high BSE risk do not
      end up in the food chain. The EU's 10-year-old ban on UK beef exports
      came to an end earlier this year on the condition that the UK
      maintain strict safety controls in place."

      [Very edited from:
      www.foodproductiondaily.com/news/ng.asp?n=72689-bse-fsa-srm

      US SENATORS: WILL OPPOSE S. KOREA TRADE PACT WITHOUT BEEF TRADE:
      (12/13/06): "Seven U.S. senators pledged Wednesday that they will
      work to block a free trade agreement being negotiated between the
      U.S. and South Korea if South Korea refuses to pull back restriction
      on U.S. beef exports. Keith Williams, spokesman for the Senate
      Agriculture Committee, said seven Democratic and Republican senators
      have vowed that if South Korea does not resume buying U.S. beef and
      accept "a bone tolerance for future shipments," they "would work to
      oppose an overall free trade agreement with South Korea." Sens.
      Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., Pat Roberts, R-Kan., Norm Coleman, R-Minn.,
      Pat Leahy, D-Vt., Craig Thomas, R-Wyo., Kent Conrad, D-N.D., and Jim
      Talent, R-Mo., signed on to the letter."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cattlenetwork.com/content.asp?contentid=90929

      SWIFT & CO. RUNS AT REDUCED LEVELS AFTER ICE RAIDS: (12/13/06):
      "Swift & Co. meatpacking plants in Greeley and in five other states
      were running at reduced levels on Wednesday, one day after nearly
      1,300 employees were arrested in a massive immigration sweep that
      temporarily halted operations, the company said. The blow to Swift's
      20,000-person global workforce came after the company cheered the
      resumption of U.S. beef exports to Japan after being blocked for 2
      1/2 years. Greeley-based Swift, which calls itself the world's
      second-largest fresh beef and pork processor, said operations had
      resumed at reduced levels on Tuesday at the plants in Greeley; Grand
      Island, Neb.; Cactus, Texas; Hyrum, Utah; Marshalltown, Iowa; and
      Worthington, Minn. The trade publication Cattle Buyers Weekly
      estimates Swift has the capacity to process 15,850 cattle per day and
      about 46,000 hogs per day, editor and publisher Steve Kay said. That
      would rank Swift behind Tyson Foods Inc. and Cargill Meat Solutions
      for beef processing and behind Smithfield Foods Inc. and Tyson for
      hogs, Kay said. He estimated that Tyson can process up to 32,600
      cattle per day while Smithfield can process 101,100 hogs per day."

      [Edited from:
      http://cbs4denver.com/business/local_story_347183651.html

      ILLINOIS RECEIVES FUNDING FOR BSE SURVEILLANCE: (12/15/06):
      "Governor Blagojevich Friday announced Illinois will receive
      additional federal funds to continue important on-farm inspections
      for "mad cow" disease. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
      renewed a cooperative agreement with Illinois that provides $233,528
      for the Illinois Department of Agriculture to ensure cattle feed
      produced on Illinois farms does not contain ingredients that could
      transmit the rare brain-wasting disease."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.ilfb.org/viewdocument.asp?did=12735&r=0.452984

      THIRD AMERICAN DIES FROM MAD COW DISEASE: (12/15/06): "The Virginia
      Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and
      Prevention has announced the recent confirmation of a vCJD case in a
      U.S. resident. This latest case occurred in a young adult who was
      born and raised in Saudi Arabia and has lived in the United States
      since late 2005. The patient occasionally stayed in the United States
      for up to 3 months at a time since 2001 and there was a shorter visit
      in 1989. As of November, 200 vCJD patients were reported world-wide,
      including 164 patients identified in the United Kingdom, 21 in
      France, 4 in the Republic of Ireland, 2 in the Netherlands and 1 each
      in Canada, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Saudi Arabia and Spain."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.wisconsinagconnection.com/story-national.php?Id=2625&yr=2006

      *05: Skin Cancer, Cancer, IQ, Mental Decline >> Eat Veggies
      EATING VEGETABLES CAN SLOW MENTAL DECLINE, STUDY SHOWS: (11/28/06):
      "Eating two or more servings of vegetables a day may slow a person's
      mental decline by about 40 per cent compared with a person who
      consumes few vegetables, according to a six-year study of nearly
      4,000 Chicago residents age 65 or older. Consuming lots of fruit did
      not appear to offer the same mental protection, although fruit has
      been associated with a wide variety of other health benefits, said
      Martha Clare Morris, chief of Rush University Medical Center's Rush
      Center for Healthy Ageing. The slowdown in the rate of cognitive
      decline experienced by people who ate 2.8 or more servings of
      vegetables a day is "equivalent to about five years of younger age"
      compared with people who ate less than one serving of vegetables per
      day, Morris reported in Neurology, the scientific journal of the
      American Academy of Neurology. And older people who started eating
      more than two servings of vegetables a day still showed a significant
      delay in mental decline, Morris said. "When we controlled for all of
      those healthy lifestyle variables - physical exercise, age, sex,
      race, education, cognitive activity, participation - the effects of
      vegetables on cognition actually became stronger," Morris said...
      "The results are encouraging," Morris said. "It seems that two or
      more vegetables per day was responsible for a significant decrease in
      the rate of decline of thinking ability.""

      [Edited from:
      http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/health/view/243919/1/.html

      CONSUME MORE GREENS TO PREVENT SKIN CANCER: (12/04/06):
      "Researchers from Queensland, Australia have established that eating
      green leafy green vegetables plays as important a role in reducing
      skin cancer risks as does wearing protective clothing and sun cream.
      The study found that those who consumed at least 3 weekly servings of
      green vegetables could cut their chances of developing the cancer by
      up to 55%. The study, led by Dr Jolieke van der Pols from The
      Queensland Institute of Medical Research was accumulation of over 11
      years of research with a database of 1,000 people from Sunshine
      Coast, Queensland. Dr Jolieke van der Pols states that green leafy
      vegetables have a variety of nutrients such as folic acid, vitamins
      A, C and E, the carotenoids lutein, zeaxanthin and others - all of
      which work together to produce a synergistic effect. The study is
      particularly relevant since it outlines another step that one can
      take in the prevention of skin cancer, making people more responsible
      for their health. This kind of proactive involvement will eventually
      go a long way in reducing skin cancer statistics. Currently, more
      than 1300 people die annually of skin cancer in Australia, accounting
      for 80% of all new cancers diagnosed."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/11563.html

      VEGETARIANS' LOW-CALORIE DIET GIVES NEW CANCER-CURE CLUE:
      (12/15/06): "Researchers studying a group of vegetarians whose diet
      was low in protein and calories found they had reduced blood levels
      of several hormones and other substances that have been tied to
      certain cancers. A comparison group of distance runners also had
      lower levels of most of these substances, compared with sedentary
      adults with diets relatively high in protein from meat and dairy
      products. But the low-protein group also had a potential advantage
      over the runners: lower levels of the insulin-like growth factor
      IGF-1, a body protein that helps cells grow. The study was done by a
      team led by Dr Luigi Fontana, an assistant professor of medicine at
      Washington University in St Louis. He and his colleagues report
      their findings in this month's American Journal of Clinical
      Nutrition. "Many people are eating too many animal products,"
      Fontana said. He also singled out processed foods and sugars for
      criticism... Fontana said: "We hope to further clarify what happens
      to cancer risk when we chronically eat more protein than we need."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10415456

      HIGH IQ LINK TO BEING VEGETARIAN: (12/15/06): "Intelligent children
      are more likely to become vegetarians later in life, a study says. A
      Southampton University team found those who were vegetarian by 30 had
      recorded five IQ points more on average at the age of 10.
      Researchers said it could explain why people with higher IQ were
      healthier as a vegetarian diet was linked to lower heart disease and
      obesity rates. The study of 8,179 was reported in the British
      Medical Journal. Researchers said the findings were partly related
      to better education and higher occupational social class, but it
      remained statistically significant after adjusting for these factors.
      Lead researcher Catharine Gale said: "The finding that children with
      greater intelligence are more likely to report being vegetarian as
      adults, together with the evidence on the potential benefits of a
      vegetarian diet on heart health, may help to explain why higher IQ in
      childhood or adolescence is linked with a reduced risk of coronary
      heart disease in adult life.""

      [Edited from:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6180753.stm

      *06: Bacteria in Chicken, Ham/Turkey Recall, 600 Ill, More Outbreaks
      HONEYBAKED FOODS RECALLS NEARLY 47,000 POUNDS OF HAM AND TURKEY DUE
      TO POSSIBLE CONTAMINATION: (11/28/06): "HoneyBaked Foods from Ohio
      is recalling 46,941 pounds of turkey and ham products that officials
      fear could cause listeriosis -- a potentially fatal disease, said the
      U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) last Friday. HoneyBaked Foods,
      Inc is voluntarily recalling the meat, including cooked, glazed and
      sliced ham and turkey produced between September 5 and November 13 of
      this year. Consumption of food contaminated with Listeria
      monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, an uncommon but potentially
      fatal disease. Healthy people rarely contract listeriosis, but it can
      cause high fever, severe headache, neck stiffness and nausea.
      Listeriosis can also cause miscarriages and stillbirths, as well as
      serious and sometimes fatal infections in those with weakened immune
      systems -- such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV
      infection or undergoing chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.NewsTarget.com/021190.html

      MORE THAN 600 REPORT ILLNESS RELATED TO DINOSAUR BAR-B-QUE:
      (12/02/06): "The number of illnesses connected to the Dinosaur
      Bar-B-Que in Syracuse is now up to more than 600. Initial complaints
      came from people who ate at the restaurant either last Friday or
      Saturday night. But now, people who ate leftovers taken from the
      Dinosaur on those nights and others who may have come into contact
      with those that were ill are coming forward. Preliminary tests show
      that the illness was not bacterial in nature, but more tests are
      still being conducted. So, while health officials say it could be
      something viral, they think it's too early to be sure.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.news10now.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=87913

      BACTERIA FOUND IN 83% OF CHICKENS: (12/04/06): "Eighty-three
      percent of broiler chickens tested by a leading consumer magazine
      were infected with either or both campylobacter and salmonella, the
      leading bacterial causes of food-borne illnesses. The 525 chickens
      tested by Consumer Reports for its January issue were purchased in
      the spring from supermarkets, bulk retailers, gourmet shops and
      natural food stores in 23 states. It is the highest rate of
      contamination the magazine has found in the nine years it has been
      doing such tests. Eighty-one percent of the chickens tested were
      contaminated with campylobacter, 15% with salmonella and 13% with
      both. Both bacteria can cause diarrhea, cramping, fever, nausea and
      vomiting and life-threatening infections of the blood in the elderly,
      babies and people with impaired immune systems... The CDC estimates
      that campylobacter and salmonella from all sources sickens more than
      3.4 million Americans each year and kills more than 700. "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-12-04-chicken-bacteria_x.htm

      REPORTS OF PRODUCE OUTBREAKS ON THE RISE: (12/15/06): "Recent E.
      coli outbreaks have drawn attention to foodborne illnesses, and
      though officials say the overall number of cases is on the decline,
      produce - particularly leafy vegetables - is increasingly a carrier
      of germs once linked only to meat and dairy. From 1996 to 2005,
      illnesses were down for virtually every major foodborne germ,
      including E. coli, according to the Centers for Disease Control and
      Prevention. But the number of cases of foodborne illness related to
      produce has more than doubled within that time, from about 40 in 1999
      to 86 in 2004, said Caroline Smith DeWaal, director of food safety
      for the Washington-based Center for Science in the Public Interest.
      Each case has affected an average of 50 people. Newer technology and
      better informed consumers mean more cases are being reported, and
      also have made the outbreaks easier to track.

      Farmers, who say food safety is their No. 1 priority, are tired of
      being seen as the bad guy and are working to implement voluntary
      standards that are science-based and practical, said Dave Kranz, a
      spokesman for the 88,000-member California Farm Bureau Federation.
      But the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest
      petitioned the federal government last month to set regulations on
      manure, irrigation and sanitation facilities for farmworkers to
      ensure compliance across the board, DeWaal said."

      [Edited from:
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061215/ap_on_bi_ge/e_coli_produce_outbreaks

      *07: Robo-Deer, Singing Sheep, Rough Peek, Food & Cell Phones
      ROBO-DEER: (11/8/06): "Officials estimated there is 1.7 million
      deer for the more than 643,000 hunters that bought licenses in
      Wisconsin. While there is no danger in running out of deer to hunt,
      officials want to be sure everyone is hunting legally. Police are
      using a "robo-deer" to keep hunters honest. The realistic looking
      deer is used mainly in problem areas to catch anyone who might be
      hunting from the roadway or people hunting from inside their
      vehicles. "We want people to make sure they are hunting away from
      roads and vehicles. It's an unsafe practice and that's how a lot of
      people get injured or hurt or killed," said Wood. Hunting stings are
      nothing new for the Wisconsin DNR, but the technology has changed.
      Twenty years ago they used plywood deer cutouts. Today they have a
      handful of the "robo-deer" in use as well as a number of other
      decoys. They said they are putting these stings on all across the
      state. Hunters caught shooting the "robo-deer" face fines that could
      cost hundreds of dollars, or the seizure of their firearms."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10353707/detail.html

      TRACKING FOOD WITH YOUR CELL PHONE: (11/24/06): "...I will now
      predict a future where our cell phones can scan a barcode, and tell
      us everything we'd ever want to know about a product. Why am I so
      confident in my prediction? Well...uh...they're already doing it in
      Japan. After a breakout of Mad Cow in 2001, Japan's Food Safety
      Commission began to tag more and more foods with radio frequency or
      QR tags that contain information on the origin of foods. Almost all
      cell phones sold in Japan today contain QR code readers, and the
      Japanese Food Safety commission has already begun to notice
      preferential purchase of locally grown foods due to the QR tags. It
      turns out that knowing more about food actually results in buyers
      making better decisions...who'd have guessed!? Now I guess we're just
      going to have to wait for the rest of the world to catch up."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/11/tracking_food_w.php

      HORRIFYING DOCUMENTARY OFFERS PEEK AT FOOD INDUSTRY: (12/07/06):
      "If you're considering becoming a vegetarian, you might like to check
      out Our Daily Bread, a documentary that offers an inside peek at the
      lethal logistics of the high-tech food industry. Welcoming you to a
      world of callously-efficient production from conception to harvest,
      and all for the benefit of human consumption, this emotionally
      detached expose' makes its case against cruelty to animals, and
      without reliance on an editorializing narrator or on judgmental
      commentary of any kind. Simply allowing authentic workplace
      acoustics to serve as the soundtrack, the film effectively positions
      the viewer inside the killing fields of assorted futuristic
      slaughterhouses as an almost involuntary eyewitness to the callous
      butchery. Our Daily Bread graphically depicts, not merely death, but
      the mistreatment doled out to these unfortunate factory animals at
      every stage of their lifecycles.

      Our Daily Bread also devotes its attention to the present-day,
      antiseptic approach to agriculture, depicting the goings-on inside
      airport hangar-size greenhouses where fruits and vegetables are grown
      entirely under artificial light and sprayed with pesticides by what
      resembles astronauts in protective jumpsuits and headgear outfitted
      with gasmasks... A most perturbing experience guaranteed to haunt
      you for meals to come.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_3094.shtml

      [Movie trailers/segments:
      http://www.ourdailybread.at

      SINGING SHEEP OUT OF RETIREMENT FOR XMAS SINGLE: (12/2006): "In the
      true tradition of the Christmas charts, a festive single by a flock
      of real-life singing sheep from the Lake District is being
      re-released due to massive public demand. The Baarmy Sheep of the
      Lake District retired after the World Cup having released three songs
      exclusively on the internet but are now coming out of retirement one
      last time to re-release last year's Christmas hit.

      Jingle Bells received over 146,000 downloads when it was released
      last Christmas - the highest number of visitors ever to Cumbria
      Tourism's website, www.golakes.co.uk. And since December this year,
      dozens of members of the public have been contacting Cumbria Tourism
      asking if the sheep are releasing their Christmas single and how they
      can access it and the accompanying sheep pop video. Consequently,
      Cumbria Tourism is making the single available again free of charge
      at:

      http://www.golakes.co.uk/xmasbaarmysheep

      ......where people can download it, and watch the video."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.golakes.co.uk/xmasbaarmysheep/

      *08: Animal: Terrorism Act, Political Party, Law Suit, Root'n'Shoots
      HOUSE PASSES 'TERRORISM' ACT AGAINST ANIMAL ACTIVISTS: (11/15/06):
      "Monday afternoon, the US House of Representatives passed a bill that
      reclassifies unlawful animal-rights tactics as terrorism under
      certain conditions, even if they are non-violent... the Animal
      Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA), the bill will classify civil
      disobedience actions - such as blockades, property destruction,
      trespassing, and the freeing of captive animals - as terrorism. The
      AETA amends current law enabling the government to prosecute
      activists for intentionally damaging property used by "animal
      enterprises" - businesses that use or sell animals. The AETA expands
      those provisions to enhance penalties against activists who
      "interfere" with animal enterprises by destroying property or
      engaging in behavior that appears "threatening." It even includes
      perceive threats to companies that work with animal enterprises and
      takes into account resulting profit losses.

      Because only a voice vote was taken, there is no record of who
      approved or opposed the AETA bill. Representative Dennis Kucinich
      (D-Ohio) spoke against the legislation, saying it compromises civil
      rights and threatens to "chill" free speech. Kucinich also addressed
      the animals he fears will be less protected if the legislation scares
      off protesters. "Just as we need to protect people's right to conduct
      their work without fear of assault, so too this Congress has yet to
      address some fundamental ethical principles with respect to animals.
      How should animals be treated humanely? This is a debate that hasn't
      come here."

      [Very edited from:
      http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/3887

      [See also:
      http://www.noaeta.org/index.htm
      http://www.hsus.org/legislation_laws/federal_legislation/animals_in_research/animal_enterprise_terrorism.html

      NEW POLITICAL PARTY FOR ANIMAL RIGHTS: (12/05/06): "A new political
      party has been set up to campaign for animal rights in the UK. The
      Animals Count party will be focusing on several animal rights issues
      including campaigning against the live transport of animals and for
      an end to intense farming practices. The party is linked to the Dutch
      Party for Animals, which last month became the first animal rights
      party to win seats in a European parliament. The party's launch at
      the Kensington Town Hall, London was attended by 200 people.
      Commenting at the event Jasmijn de Boo, chairman of the party said:
      "First slaves were liberated, then women and children. Now it is time
      to do the same for animals." The party has pledged it will 'avoid the
      violent tactics often associated with the animal rights movement'.

      As well as campaigning for an end to intensive farming systems with
      poor welfare consequences and the transportation of animals to
      continental Europe the party will also be addressing issues such as
      animal testing and calling for a ban "without loopholes" on hunting.
      The party's line on non animal issues such as education, public
      services and the economy has yet to be finalised."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.meatinfo.co.uk/articles/24681/New-political-party-for-animal-rights.aspx?categoryid=9034

      JANE GOODALL PROMOTES ANIMAL RIGHTS TO YOUNGER GENERATION:
      (12/08/06): "Goodall's research of chimpanzees has since evolved
      into a much larger concern: one of environmental degradation, of
      global warming, and now, even world peace. "As I began traveling
      around the world talking about the problems facing the chimpanzees
      and the African environment, I realized how this was all related to
      unsustainable lifestyles of the wealthy, related to the continual
      demand for these non-renewable natural resources," she said. "We
      could lose our hatred today, but if we don't learn to live in harmony
      with the environment, we will soon be fighting again. We fight today
      over oil, but we can live without oil. We cannot live without water."

      ... During her talk at the school following the parade, Goodall
      encouraged everyone to get in touch with their inner animals,
      conducting exercises in barking, meowing, and again--her
      specialty--the chimpanzee pant-hoot. Such activities are how Goodall
      passes her time these days, and the majority of her visit to Taiwan
      was spent with children and young people, because, she believes,
      change will come through educating the next generation, hence the
      Roots and Shoots' focus on youth empowerment. "Cruelty to animals is
      because people haven't really understood," she said. "This is why I
      spend so much of my time talking to young people, because if young
      people get the opportunity to be with animals when they're small,
      they'll understand and never become cruel." "It may not make much
      difference if you turn off the water when you clean your teeth, or
      turn off the light, or switch your engine off when you're idling,"
      Goodall recognized. "But, if millions of people are doing those small
      things, then there is going to be massive change in the world."

      [Very edited from:
      http://taiwanjournal.nat.gov.tw/ct.asp?CtNode=122&xItem=23564

      NEW JERSEY SUIT A TEST CASE ON FARM ANIMAL CRUELTY: (12/13/06):
      "New Jersey allows cruelty to farm animals by failing to ban
      practices such as castration without anesthetic, animal rights
      activists said on Wednesday in a lawsuit that might help set national
      standards for the treatment of livestock. Groups including the
      Humane Society of the United States and Farm Sanctuary said the state
      Department of Agriculture had failed to establish humane standards
      for farm animals as required by a law implemented in 2004. New
      Jersey is the only state requiring officials to set humane standards
      for the treatment of farm animals, and enforcing the measure could
      lead to better treatment of livestock across the country, said Gene
      Baur, president of Farm Sanctuary.

      Lawyers for the groups told a panel in the appellate division of New
      Jersey Superior Court that the state had bowed to the farm industry
      by allowing inhumane methods to persist on the grounds they are
      common practice for farmers and agricultural colleges. They cited
      other practices including the starvation of chickens in order to
      boost egg production, the permanent confinement of pigs in cages so
      small they cannot turn around, de-beaking of fowl and tail-docking in
      which most of a cow's tail is amputated to make milking easier.
      Katherine Meyer, an attorney for the animal rights groups, said the
      state has endorsed common agricultural practices without determining
      whether they are humane. A decision by the three-judge panel is not
      expected for months."

      [Edited from:
      http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-12-13T212418Z_01_N13488270_RTRUKOC_0_US-ANIMAL-RIGHTS.xml&WTmodLoc=USNewsHome_C2_domesticNews-4

      *09: Garbage Fuels, Pesticides/Kids, GMO Fuzzy, Meat=Climate Change
      PESTICIDE COMMONLY USED ON FRUITS AND VEGETABLES POSES SERIOUS
      THREAT: (12/05/06): "A new study published today in a leading
      pediatric journal links a pesticide found on fruits and vegetables
      with a variety of behavioral and attention disorders in young
      children. The finding confirms longstanding concern, according to the
      Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), which is now calling on the
      Environmental Protection Agency to outlaw the widely used chemical,
      known as chlorpyrifos. "Health experts have worried for years about
      the risk chlorpyrifos poses to pregnant mothers and their kids. Now
      we have the evidence," said Dr. Gina Solomon, a physician and senior
      scientist at NRDC. "We shouldn't be allowing a pesticide known to
      cause learning disorders to be used on fruits and vegetables,
      period." NRDC sued the EPA in 1999 to force the agency to assess the
      safety of chlorpyrifos. As a result, in December 2001, the agency
      prohibited the chemical for virtually all household uses. But it
      still allows farmers to spray it on a variety of crops, many of which
      are commonly consumed by children.

      Last year, nearly 5 million pounds of the pesticide were used on U.S.
      crops, mainly on apples, corn, grapes, oranges and soybeans, as well
      as on broccoli, nectarines, peaches, pears and cherries. The problem
      is even worse with produce grown in other countries, where
      regulations on pesticide use are more lax. In 2004, for example,
      nearly 30 percent of imported Chilean grapes, 10 percent of imported
      Mexican strawberries, 7 percent of imported Mexican tomatoes, and 78
      percent of imported Mexican bell peppers contained chlorpyrifos
      residue, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That same
      year 1 percent to 4 percent of the same crops grown in the United
      States had chlorpyrifos residue."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.allamericanpatriots.com/m-news+article+storyid-17190.html

      EATING MEAT CONTRIBUTES TO CLIMATE CHANGE, UN STUDY CONFIRMS:
      (12/07/06): "The typical American diet adds significantly to
      pollution, water scarcity, land degradation and climate change,
      according to a United Nations report released last week... the report
      is the latest research linking meat-eating with environmental
      destruction. According to the FAO, the arm of the UN that works on
      worldwide hunger-defeating initiatives, animal farming presents a
      "major threat to the environment" with such "deep and wide-ranging"
      impacts that it should rank as a leading focus for environmental
      policy. The report calls the livestock sector a "major player" in
      affecting climate change through greenhouse-gas production. The FAO
      found that the ranching and slaughter of cows and other animals
      generates an estimated 18 percent of total human-induced
      greenhouse-gas emissions globally. Livestock emit methane and other
      greenhouse gasses through excrement and belching. The FAO estimates
      that cow manure and flatulence generate 30 to 40 percent of total
      methane emissions from human-influenced activities.

      While the report gives a global picture of meat production,
      sustainable-food advocates say the US is leading the world in harmful
      meat-eating habits and industry practices. From 2000 to 2002,
      consumers in the United States ate on average approximately 38.5
      million tons of meat per year, second only to China, according to the
      FAO analysis. In those same years, the United Kingdom consumed nearly
      5 million tons of meat each year, Brazil nearly 15.5 million tons and
      Uganda 308,647 tons. North America had one of the highest methane
      emissions from livestock manure management in the world in 2004,
      according to the report. Methane is more readily produced when manure
      is managed in a liquid form, such as in holding tanks or lagoons
      commonly used in North America. Additionally, the US is a leader in
      CO2 emissions from the burning of fossil fuels in the manufacture of
      nitrogen fertilizer used to grow food for livestock. Researchers
      found that the difference between the greenhouse gases emitted by a
      person consuming a red-meat diet over a plant diet equaled the
      difference between driving a sedan and a sport-utility vehicle.

      [Very edited from:
      http://newstandardnews.net/content/?action=show_item&itemid=3956

      SURVEY: AMERICANS FUZZY ON BIOTECH FOODS: (12/11/06): "Ten years
      after genetically engineered crops were first planted commercially in
      the United States, Americans remain ill-informed about and
      uncomfortable with biotech food, according to the fifth annual survey
      on the topic, released Wednesday. People vastly underestimate how
      much gene-altered food they are already consuming; lean toward
      wanting greater regulation of such crops; and have less faith than
      ever that the Food and Drug Administration will provide accurate
      information, the survey found. The poll also confirmed that most
      Americans, particularly women, do not like the idea of eating meat or
      mil<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)