11_22_06: Mad Cowboy Trailer, Locavores, & Animals Win

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22 10:27 AM
      Welcome to the 55th issue of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter. We're proud
      as peacocks to announce that "Mad Cowboy: The Documentary" won an
      Artivist Award earlier this month in Hollywood, and you can watch the
      first trailer of the movie here:

      Also, the Mad Cowboy extends a hearty handshake to Senator-elect John
      Testor, from Montanna. The Senator is an organic farmer (remember,
      Howard ran for the House years ago and almost won). Here's some info
      about Mr. Testor's background:

      In this Thanksgiving issue of the newsletter you'll find a bunch of
      links for holiday recipes collected below. And, don't miss the link
      (in Mad Cow Info Round-Up) to the Canadian TV show "Regenesis," kind
      of a "X-files" on biotechnology issues (with an interactive online
      game). There's also a tally of how Animal Issues faired in this
      recent election, an essay about "Humane Eating," an interview with
      Eric Schlosser and links to the "Fast Food Nation"
      trailers/behind-the-scenes. Then there's the "Backwards Hamburger"
      and Meatrix 2.5 videos, the new studies about red meat and cancer -
      good fat and heart disease, the 1st study to connect soil mineral
      depletion to cancer-causing chemicals in food, and the "eating local
      challenge" posted by "Locavores."

      You'll also find out that scientists now realize that birds are
      brainy, manatees are smarter than they originally thought, elephants
      can recognize themselves in mirrors, and no one knows how that dog
      figured out how to take the bus periodically into town.

      ... and, as always, a tip of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all
      can read past issues of the newsletter at:

      Here's wishing everyone a blessed, happy, and veg'n Thanksgiving!

      Keep warm... Mark

      [personal vegan blog: http://www.soulveggie.com]

      00: Quote(s) from Howard
      02: Recipe from "No More Bull!"
      03: Veg'n Thanksgiving Links
      04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      05: Animals Win, "Humane" Eating, Fast Food Nation, NY Foie Gras?
      06: Red Meat/Cancer, Healthy Fats, Food Depletion, Locavores
      07: Adopt-A-Microbe, Backwards Burger, Meatrix2.5, Rabbit or Tiger?
      08: Brainy Birds/Manatees, Elephant's "I am", Vortex Menace
      09: Upcoming Events of Note
      10: Howard's Schedule
      11: Quick Bytes
      12: Closing Thoughts

      *00: Quote(s) from Howard
      "When I decided to become a vegetarian, I lost over 100 pounds, my
      blood pressure came down, my cholesterol came down, I knew I had the
      answer to my health problems. I could hardly wait to share that with
      my friends and family. I was even considering sharing it with my

      I invited her for Thanksgiving dinner. I said to her that turkey
      would be available for her. My mother-in-law came into the house,
      went to the oven and to the refrigerator: no turkey. She felt I had
      let her down. I took her to the back yard where I had a live turkey.
      I told her that if she wanted turkey for dinner she would have to
      kill it herself.

      That turkey survived."

      --- Howard Lyman (from the interview posted at:

      SPECIAL FLASHBACK -- Howards Meet:

      "Of the 37 or so ingredients in a Chicken McNugget, roughly how many,
      directly or indirectly, come from corn? (a) 37 (b) 30 (c) 23
      (d) 16

      In a recent article, Michael Pollen said "30," then in the book (as
      pointed out on a website) he implied "13," then some intrepid MC
      Newsletter subscribers found references online to "14 to 16"
      ingredients. As such, those who answered (b) and (d) were considered

      Congratulations to Shanti Portia of Daylesford, Australia for winning
      the luck of the draw!

      [Michael Pollen online essay:

      [Subscriber supplied reference:

      "Around 300 million turkeys are killed each year. Approx. what
      percentage of that number are slaughtered just for Thanksgiving

      (a) 75% (b) 50% (c) 25% (d) 15%

      Please e-mail guesses to: webmaster@... with the word
      "contest" in your subject line by NLT December 15, 2006.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting
      the correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to
      Joe, and you can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *02: Recipe from "No More Bull!"

      Yield: 2 dozen cookies

      "These cookies are a delicious and nutritious treat --- they are
      moist and chewy.

      2 cups dates, packed
      1/2 cup water
      1 tablespoon lemon juice
      1/4 cup high oleic sunflower oil*
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      1/4 cup soy milk
      2 tablespoons ground flax
      1 grated apple
      1 cup whole wheat flour
      2 teaspoons baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 cup walnut halves

      *High oleic sunflower oil is 80% monoumsaturated fat. This is
      preferable to regular sunflower oil which is mainly omega-6 fatty
      acids. You may substitute organic canola oil or other vegetable oil
      of your choice.

      "In a small sauce pan, cook dates and water until dates are soft.
      Remove from heat and mash (a potato masher works well). In a large
      bowl, combine oil, vanilla, soy milk, lemon juice, ground flax,
      apples and mashed dates.

      In a 2-cup measuring cup, mix all remaining dry ingredients except
      nuts. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir to combine
      (do not overstir). Fold in walnuts. Drop by heaping teaspoon onto
      an oiled cookie sheet. Bak at 325 degrees F for about 20 minutes or
      until nicely browned.

      Variations: Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries and use pecan halves
      instead of walnut halves. Replace grated apples with 1/2 cup of
      apple suace.

      --- Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis, "No More Bull!" (by Howard
      Lyman), pg. 128-129 (originally published in "The New Becoming
      Vegetarian," by Melina and Davis)

      *03: Veg'n Thanksgiving Links
      ["Bryanna Vegan Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes:"

      ["Holiday Tricks to Fill the Vegan Void:"

      [Posted by FARM (http://www.farmusa.org):
      "Thanks to Boston Vegetarian Society for compiling this list!"

      ["Thanksgiving recipes from the Post Punk Kitchen:"

      ["Celebrate a Vegetarian Thanksgiving:"

      ["VegWeb's Thanksgiving Recipes:"

      ["Thanksgiving Favorites They'll Really Give Thanks For:"

      ["Compassionate Thanksgiving Recipes:"

      ["International Vegetarian Union's Holiday Recipes:"

      ["What to Serve When Veg'ns Visit at the Holidays:"

      ["In a Vegetarian Kitchen's Thanksgiving Recipes:"

      ["Vegetarians in Paradise (scroll down to Thanksgiving):"

      ["Essenes Thanksgiving Menu:"

      [Graphic descriptions: the modern turkey:

      ["Making a Turkey" from Farm Sanctuary (graphic):"

      *04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      (10/2006): "Safe To Eat? She thought her son died of a random
      illness, one with no known cause, no cure. Now some scientists are
      questioning whether there's a new link to mad cow disease. Kelly
      Crowe reports. -For years, scientists have known that B.S.E. causes
      variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. What some people call the human
      form of Mad Cow Disease. But another form of C.J.D., Sporadic C.J.D.,
      has always confounded them. The most common theory has been that the
      deadly illness occurs spontaneously with no known cause. Now some of
      the world's leading scientists in the field are having another look
      at sporadic C.J.D. and the possibility that it too is linked to mad

      [Full transcript of broadcast at:

      study has pinpointed an alarming trend that suggests women with
      multiple sclerosis now outnumber men in Canada by a ratio of more
      than three to one. The researchers, led by Dr. George Ebers of
      Oxford University, examined Canadian data on multiple sclerosis
      sufferers. They also found that this gender ratio has been rising for
      at least 50 years. More than 1,000 new cases of the disease will be
      diagnosed this year in Canada, and an estimated 55,000 to 75,000
      people are currently living with the disease.

      The team that conducted the research into the Canadian multiple
      sclerosis data is speculating that an unknown contributing factor has
      emerged in the last half century to make MS a female-dominated
      disease. The findings will appear in the November edition of the
      Lancet's neurology journal. there is growing acceptance of the
      theory that a vitamin D deficiency due to low sun exposure may be a
      contributing factor in the development of the often-disabling
      disease. Other possible factors that could be contributing to the
      trend include the changing role of women in the work force, dietary
      habits, increase in smoking among women, use of oral contraceptives,
      and changes in the timing of childbearing years."

      [Edited from:

      "Slovenia's Veterinary Administration said on Sunday a new case of
      mad cow disease was reported in a 6-year-old cow from Slovenia which
      was slaughtered in Austria earlier this week. This is Slovenia's
      seventh case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in animals,
      with the last being diagnosed in an ox in August 2005. First
      detected in Britain in 1986, BSE caused millions of animals to be
      slaughtered in Britain in the 1980s and early 1990s. Nearly all
      European Union countries subsequently reported BSE cases and Sweden
      saw its first case earlier this year. But the overall incidence of
      BSE in the EU is falling."

      [Edited from:

      PLAN TO CREATE HUMAN-COW EMBRYOS: (11/06/06): "UK scientists have
      applied for permission to create embryos by fusing human DNA with cow
      eggs. Researchers from Newcastle University and Kings College,
      London, have asked the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority
      for a three-year licence. The hybrid human-bovine embryos would be
      used for stem cell research and would not be allowed to develop for
      more than a few days. [Stem cells] are the body's master cells and
      five-day-old embryos are packed with them - each with the potential
      to turn into any tissue in the body. It is this ability which
      scientists want to harness to treat diseases such as Parkinson's
      Disease, strokes and Alzheimer's Disease. The problem is that human
      eggs for research are in short supply and to obtain them women have
      to undergo surgery. That is why scientists want to use cows' eggs as
      a substitute. The resulting embryo would be 99.9% human, the only
      bovine element would be DNA outside the nucleus of the cell. It
      would though, technically be a chimera, part-human, part-animal. The
      aim would be to extract stem cells from the embryo when it is six
      days old, before destroying it.

      Calum MacKellar, from the Scottish Council on Human Bioethics, said
      the research undermines the distinction between animals and humans
      and breaches human rights. He said: "In the history of humankind
      animals and human species have been separated. "In this kind of
      procedure you are mixing at a very intimate level animal eggs and
      human chromosomes, and you may begin to undermine the whole
      distinction between humans animals and humans."

      [Very edited from:

      "Creekstone Farms Premium Beef has answered the U.S. Department of
      Agriculture's court documents opposing the company's motion for
      summary judgment in its lawsuit against [the] USDA. Creekstone sued
      the USDA in March for refusing to allow the Arkansas City beef
      processor to voluntarily test all the cattle it slaughters for BSE,
      commonly called mad cow disease.

      USDA officials have told the U.S. District Court for the District of
      Columbia that Creekstone's case is now largely moot because Japan and
      Korea have re-opened their borders to U.S. imports. Several countries
      had banned imports of U.S. beef because of concerns over mad cow. The
      USDA maintains that it has the right to regulate private testing for
      BSE on the basis of a 100-year-old law intended to stop the sale of
      bogus hog cholera serums to Midwest farmers. In its filing,
      Creekstone maintains that the USDA is using the law in a way it was
      never intended, not to protect ranchers from suppliers of bogus
      serums but to regulate competition among beef processors.
      Creekstone's filing also maintains that the company is seeking to
      test 100 percent of its beef for BSE to enhance its brand reputation
      and to make it possible to sell beef for higher prices in both
      domestic and foreign markets.

      The filing supports Creekstone's claim of serious economic harm both
      in the main document and in several friend of the court briefs filed
      in support of Creekstone's case. Testing all the cattle processed at
      the Arkansas City plant would cost Creekstone about $6 million
      annually, but officials have contended that regaining lost markets
      would more than pay for the additional cost."

      [Edited from:

      JAPAN HALTS SWIFT SHIPMENTS: (11/09/06): "When it comes to
      international beef trade, there's just no room for error anymore.
      Greeley-based Swift & Co. is learning that tedious lesson after the
      Japanese government on Wednesday temporarily halted beef shipments
      from the Greeley beef plant for what amounts to a clerical error.
      Japanese officials found one box containing thymus glands in a
      shipment of 760 boxes of chilled beef and beef tongue in its Osaka
      port. The thymus gland product is not a designated risk material, and
      it is eligible for import to Japan. The internal organ, commonly
      called the "sweetbread" and considered a delicacy in fine dining
      circles overseas, was not on Swift's official list of products to
      send to Japan. Swift typically ships the product domestically but has
      in the past shipped it to South America, Mexico and Europe.

      "I don't understand how their procedures can miss this," said Steve
      Kay, publisher of Cattle Buyer's Weekly, which follows the
      beefpacking industry. "Somehow, there wasn't a system inside the
      Greeley plant to check the shipment that was put together, and
      second, the boxes weren't checked against their export certificate.
      "It raises pretty serious questions about Swift's ability to comply
      with the absolute minutiae of the protocols." After receiving a
      report from the USDA, the Japanese will send a delegation to the
      Greeley plant to review whether it is following rules for export to
      Japan before allowing trade to resume. "We are very concerned about
      what appears to be a simple error because it comes so soon after
      Japan lifted its import ban," said Yasushi Yamaguchi, an Agriculture
      Ministry official in Tokyo."

      [Very edited from:

      MAD COW PANIC HITS 2000 SHOPS: (11/11/06): "The Co-op were last
      night facing a nationwide scare over their beef because a single cow
      at risk of BSE was allowed into the food chain by mistake. A wide
      range of beef products from Co-op branches all over the UK were
      recalled or taken off shelves. Customers who had already bought
      affected meat were warned not to eat it. Ox liver sold at ASDA was
      also recalled. In all, more than 2000 shops all over the country were
      hit. Store bosses and health experts said there was virtually no
      chance of anyone falling ill after eating the beef. But the panic is
      still set to cost the industry millions of pounds. A Co-op
      spokeswoman said the company could not tell exactly where the
      offending cow's meat had ended up. She added: "It could be any of
      our UK stores, so we have to recall the product as a precaution.

      The crisis was sparked after a cow was sold to the supermarkets
      despite being too old to meet safety standards. Rules brought in to
      prevent mad cow disease say all animals older than 30 months should
      be screened for BSE. But the offending cow wasn't checked, despite
      being well above the age limit. Sources say a government official
      simply failed to spot the animal's date of birth."

      [Edited from:

      DISEASE: (11/13/06): Japan's Agriculture Ministry said Monday it
      confirmed that a cow from northern Japan had the country's 30th case
      of mad cow disease. Tests on the 5 year-old dairy cow performed at
      the National Institute of Animal Health confirmed that the cow, which
      died at a ranch on Japan's northernmost island of Hokkaido, was
      infected with the fatal illness. The animal will be destroyed and
      incinerated so its parts will not be circulated for consumption or
      used as feed, the ministry said. Japan has now confirmed 30 animals
      infected with the fatal illness - known formally as bovine spongiform
      encephalopathy, or BSE - since the first case in Japan was defected
      in 2001."

      [Edited from:

      (11/15/06): "Authorities sought details from British scientists
      Wednesday following reports that a new form of an unusual brain
      disease was discovered in a New Zealand sheep in the U.K., a senior
      official said. The Veterinary Laboratories Agency in Britain - New
      Zealand's most important lamb export market - said the atypical form
      of the disease scrapie had been detected in a six-year-old cheviot
      ewe on a U.K. research farm. The ewe's scrapie-free, New
      Zealand-raised parents had been kept in strict quarantine since they
      were sent to Britain in 1998 and 2001 for research purposes.

      "They (British scientists) have no idea how this animal got atypical
      scrapie," said Biosecurity New Zealand assistant director-general
      Barry O'Neill. Today in Asia - Pacific Blair calls for a new focus on
      Afghanistan Competition between China and India goes beyond borders
      Bush meets with President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono of Indonesia The
      number of ways it could have been infected would be checked by the
      U.K. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, or DEFRA, he
      said. The sheep was born in the United Kingdom in 2000 and while it
      was understood it had originated from New Zealand genetic material it
      had lived in the United Kingdom for all its life, he said. O'Neill
      said that New Zealand was free of the classical form of scrapie, and
      that officials there had found no evidence of atypical scrapie.
      Neither animal brain disease is considered a risk to humans. New
      Zealand farms about 40 million sheep, and exports large quantities of
      lamb and mutton each year.

      They are part of a family of diseases known as transmissible
      spongiform encephalopathies, which also include mad cow disease, as
      well chronic wasting disease in deer. Mad cow disease, formally
      called bovine spongiform encephalopathy or BSE, is regarded as
      dangerous to humans."

      [Edited from:

      'MAD COW' KILLS SECOND DUTCH VICTIM: (11/16/06): "A second Dutch
      person has died from the human variant of mad cow disease following
      the death of a woman last year, health authorities said on Thursday.
      The Dutch Institute for Health and Environment (RIVM) give no details
      about the victim, but Dutch television stations said he was a
      16-year-old boy. A spokeswoman for the RIVM said the victim died
      from the brain-wasting Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD) N the human
      form of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) N about two weeks ago.

      She did not explain why the RIVM had waited two weeks to confirm the
      death, which was reported in Dutch media on Thursday. The RIVM
      diagnosed the person with the human variant of mad cow in June and
      said at the time that the patient had most probably become infected
      by eating contaminated meat products. It was the second Dutch death
      from the human variant of mad cow disease after a 26-year-old woman
      died in May 2005."

      [Edited from:

      THE WORLD MEAT MARKET WILL KEEP RISING IN 2007: (11/17/06): "The
      world meat market will keep rising in 2007. This is the indication of
      the USDA in its biannual report to the world market. Sanitary crises
      involving the three segments seem not to have affected the
      projections on world meat consumption and trade next year. Not even
      bird flu seems to have raised fear about the levels of production or
      consumption, which reveals a situation imposed by the excellent level
      of world economic growth still forecast to 2007.

      The sanitary crises registered in the last few months and in the last
      three years, at least, seem to have only benefited a temporary
      replacement of some meat segments for others. The crisis of BSE or
      mad cow in the United States did not affect its domestic consumption,
      but affected the volume of exports, which helped other beef exporters
      and other meat alternatives. Foot-and-mouth disease in Brazil ended
      up affecting the flow of pork to some destinations such as Russia,
      for example, which made way to local production and/or convergency of
      demand to other meat products. Bird flu affected directly the
      consumption of broiler meat n Europe, mainly, also with some
      flotation of demand to alternative meat, but the effects of the
      disease were softened by the strict control of the virus-dissipating
      factors in the region in the short run.

      At first, 2007 shows a decrease of such risky sanitary factors,
      mainly involving foot-and-mouth disease and mad cow. Of course, the
      risk of the outbreak of new cases persists, but a stricter control of
      the risk factors of such diseases seem to suggest more discreet
      effects to the world meat trade. Bird flu seems to be the most severe
      world sanitary still present and still without chances of elimination
      of risks in the short run, or at least for 2007. In other words, the
      still aggressive presence of the virus in Asia maintains the world
      market still under alert about the outbreak of new cases and their

      [Edited from:

      U.S. BEEF RETURNS TO RUSSIA: (11/20/06): "The U.S. and Russia's
      official signing of a bilateral trade agreement yesterday effectively
      ends a Russian ban on U.S. beef. After U.S. officials discovered
      bovine spongiform encephalopathy, often called 'mad cow disease,' in
      December 2003, Russia banned the import of U.S. beef. "Before
      December 2003, Russia was a huge export market for U.S. cattle
      producers," says South Dakota cattleman Ed Blair, chair of the beef
      industry's Joint International Markets Committee. "Cattle producers
      are relieved Russia has finally acknowledged established
      international trade standards regarding BSE."

      After a Russian audit team visits plants in the U.S., the Russian
      market will open for U.S. boneless beef, bone-in beef and beef
      variety meats from cattle under 30 months with an export certificate.
      "Previously, Russia was the largest export market for U.S. beef
      livers, and we look forward to rebuilding this market once again,"
      says Blair. "In 2003, Russia was the fifth largest export market for
      U.S. beef in terms of quantity, importing over 140 million pounds of
      U.S. beef and beef variety meats valued at over $53 million."

      [Edited from:

      "Inspectors in Britain believe widespread fraud at slaughterhouses
      may be exposing the public to meat contaminated with mad cow disease.
      The inspectors accuse slaughterhouses of swapping samples from
      carcasses to stop them from failing tests to detect bovine spongiform
      encephalopathy, also known as mad cow disease, The Independent
      reports. The practice of swapping was revealed by employees at two
      British slaughterhouses and a third case is under investigation in
      Northern Ireland but inspectors believe it is more widespread.
      Earlier this month, beef was removed from supermarket shelves across
      Britain because of the failure to test just one cow's brain for BSE.
      People who eat products infected with BSE can develop the incurable
      degenerative neurological disorder known as Creutzfeldt-Jacob

      [Edited from:

      "U.S. health officials said Friday they have traced the source of the
      recent salmonella outbreak to tomatoes served in restaurants. "We've
      done standard interviews with people who've become ill with this
      organism and with well people in the same communities, and we've
      identified tomatoes eaten in restaurants as the cause of this
      outbreak," Dr. Christopher Braden, chief of outbreak response and
      surveillance in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's
      Foodborne Branch, said during a teleconference. The outbreak has
      sickened 183 people in 21 states in the United States, as well as two
      people in Canada. Twenty-two people have been hospitalized. Most of
      the cases have been east of the Mississippi River, with the exception
      of Washington state. CDC officials said they first noticed a
      salmonella problem two weeks ago, via a national computer lab system
      that looks for patterns and matches in reports of food-borne illness.

      Salmonella is a germ that causes a bacterial disease called
      salmonellosis. The typical symptoms included diarrhea, fever and
      stomach pain, which can start up to three days after people become
      infected. The symptoms usually go away after one week. But some
      victims do see a doctor or end up in a hospital, because the diarrhea
      is severe or the infection has affected other organs, according to
      the CDC. There are about 2,500 types of salmonella. The type in the
      new outbreak -- salmonella typhimurium -- is one of the most common,
      Braden said. According to the CDC, people can get salmonellosis by
      eating contaminated food, such as chicken, eggs or produce. Animals
      can carry salmonella and pass it in their feces. Therefore, people
      can also get salmonellosis if they don't wash their hands after
      touching the feces of animals. Reptiles (such as lizards, snakes and
      turtles), baby chicks, and ducklings are especially likely to pass
      salmonellosis to people. Dogs, cats, birds (including pet birds),
      horses and farm animals can also pass salmonella in their feces."

      [Very edited from:

      "Health officials estimate that more than 1.4 million cases of
      salmonellosis occur in the U.S. each year, about 1.3 million from

      Bioterrorism. Designer babies. Frankenfoods. Suddenly Humanity
      possesses the ability to play God. But is it progress or madness?
      Will cutting-edge science be our salvation? Or our demise? Leading
      the charge is the recently set up NorBAC Lab - a joint effort between
      Canada, the US and Mexico to investigate questionable advances in
      biotechnology. The Pandora's box of biotech is wide open. It's a
      modern gold rush, where billions will be made and geo-power will be
      staked. And everyone's involved: governments, multinational drug
      companies, rogue states, and terrorists. But ideas can't be put back
      in - once they're out, they're out."

      [There's an interactive game, episode descriptions (some about
      "prions"), at this extremely popular Canadian website:

      [More program listings:

      *05: Animals Win, "Humane" Eating, Fast Food Nation, NY Foie Gras?
      BALLOT MEASURES: (11/07/06): "As voters across the country
      participated in historic mid-term elections, citizens in Arizona and
      Michigan also chose animal welfare policies by landslide votes in
      state ballot measure contests - continuing a remarkable two-decade
      track record of success on animal issues. The Humane Society of the
      United States, which led efforts to combat abusive factory farming
      practices in Arizona and to keep mourning doves protected from target
      shooting in Michigan, praised the overwhelming votes as an
      unmistakable signal that Americans want public policies that provide
      for the humane treatment of animals. "Kindness to animals is a value
      shared by Americans of all political stripes, and the landslide votes
      tonight prove that rule once again," said Wayne Pacelle, president
      and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States. "Animals need
      protection from cruelty and abuse, and these ballot measures provide
      critical protections for millions of animals."

      Since 1990 voters have enacted more than two dozen animal protection
      reforms through ballot initiatives, including: * Banning cockfighting
      in Arizona, Missouri and Oklahoma * Outlawing the slaughter of horses
      and the sale of horse meat in California * Restricting cruel and
      inhumane traps and poisons in Arizona, California, Colorado,
      Massachusetts and Washington * Prohibiting inhumane bear hunting
      practices in Colorado, Massachusetts, Oregon and Washington * Banning
      the use of gestation crates for breeding pigs in Florida * Providing
      specialty spay/neuter license plates in Georgia * Banning canned
      hunts and prohibiting future game farms in Montana * Outlawing aerial
      wolf killing in Alaska

      "Voters have consistently chosen to protect animals when given the
      opportunity to cast their ballots in favor of humane treatment," said
      Michael Markarian, executive vice president of The Humane Society of
      the United States."

      [Very edited from:
      Animals Win Big at Ballot Box

      ADVOCATES SEEK FOIE GRAS BAN IN NEW YORK: (11/15/06): "Animal rights
      activists hoping to end foie gras production in New York filed a
      lawsuit against the state Wednesday claiming the controversial
      delicacy should be banned because it comes from "diseased and
      severely ill" birds. The Humane Society of the United States in
      state court in Albany sued agricultural officials, arguing that foie
      gras is an "adulterated food product" that should not be produced or
      sold in New York. The society's argument is based on the way foie
      gras - French for "fat liver" - is produced. Farms like Hudson Valley
      Foie Gras in Sullivan County force-feed ducks to fatten their livers
      well beyond normal sizes. The advocates claim the process destroys
      the birds' livers, causes blood toxicity, nerve damage and other
      conditions that make the resulting foie gras an adulterated food

      "Animals should not be kept sick and dying to appease the palates of
      a few gourmands," said Carter Dillard, an attorney with the society.
      "These animals are diseased and dying. State law prohibits turning
      such animals into food." As anti-foie gras forces have scored
      victories from California to Chicago recently, the Humane Society has
      focused attention on New York, home to the No. 1 producer, Hudson
      Valley Foie Gras, and La Belle Farm a few miles away. California is
      banning force-fed foie gras starting in 2012 and Chicago in August
      banned foie gras sales. Similar bans have been proposed in other
      states and cities."

      [Edited from:

      "I have yet to meet a non-vegetarian who didn't care about the
      treatment of animals raised and killed for human consumption. Even
      people who eat meat, aware on some level that the experience is
      unpleasant for the animals, will tell you they object to unnecessary
      abuse and cruelty. They declare that they buy only "humane" meat,
      "free-range" eggs and "organic" milk, perceiving themselves as
      ethical consumers and these products as the final frontier in the
      fight against animal cruelty. Though we kill over 10 billion land
      animals every year to please our palates, we never question the
      absurdity of this sacred societal ritual. Instead, we absolve
      ourselves by making what we think are guilt-free choices, failing to
      recognize the paradox of "humane slaughter" and never really knowing
      what the whole experience is for an animal from cradle
      (domestication) to grave (our bodies).

      When we tell ourselves we're eating meat from "humanely raised
      animals," we're leaving out a huge part of the equation. The
      slaughtering of an animal is a bloody and violent act, and death does
      not come easy for those who want to live. As much as we don't want
      to believe we are the cause of someone else's suffering, our
      consumption of meat, dairy, eggs and other animal products
      perpetuates the pointless violence and unnecessary cruelty that is
      inherent in the deliberate breeding and killing of animals for human
      consumption. If we didn't have a problem with it, we wouldn't have to
      make up so many excuses and justifications. We dance around the
      truth, label our choices "humane," and try to find some kind of
      compromise so we can have our meat and eat it, too.

      The movement toward "humanely raised food animals" simply assuages
      our guilt more than it actually reduces animal suffering. If we truly
      want our actions to reflect the compassion for animals we say we
      have, then the answer is very simple. We can stop eating them. In
      short, there is nothing humane about eating meat."

      [Very very edited from the excellent essay at:

      [The Compassionate Cooks website/blog:

      (11/17/06): "When PR Watch most recently caught a cell phone signal
      from Eric Schlosser, author of "Fast Food Nation" and the new "Chew
      on This: Everything You Don't Want to Know About Fast Food,"
      Schlosser was rushing from car to car in New York City, after London,
      which was just after Berkeley, where he was giving students a preview
      of the Indie film version of "Fast Food Nation." We didn't have the
      chance to ask him when he had time to eat. But we did use the time to
      speak with him about fast food, the U.S. childhood obesity epidemic,
      and the public relations industry's techniques in attacking his work.
      Schlosser has been likened to a latter day Upton Sinclair-exposing
      the abattoirs and abuses in the meatpacking and calorie-packing
      processed food industry. If you haven't read his books, you should,
      and here are a few reasons why you can't just see the movie.

      PR Watch: Your new book [with Charles Wilson], "Chew on This," reads
      like a spin control manual on fast food. It could be for kids or a
      number of audiences.... . Did you intend to, and how does one, debunk
      spin for younger audiences?

      Eric Schlosser: The chapter on marketing especially is an attempt to
      provide some kind of media literacy for kids and to help them be
      aware they're being targeted. I didn't see it in the context so much
      of the PR industry. It was that kids are bombarded every day,
      everywhere we go, by marketing. I wanted just to make them aware of
      that fact, and to help make them aware of some of the tactics being

      [Very edited from the interesting and well-done interview at:

      ["Fast Food Nation" trailer:

      ["Behind the Scenes" Part 1 of 6:

      [The Campaign:

      *06: Red Meat/Cancer, Healthy Fats, Food Depletion, Locavores
      "Women who eat lots of red meat may be at greater risk of getting a
      certain type of breast cancer at a young age, a new analysis by
      Harvard researchers suggests. Breast cancer is the most common
      cancer among women in the US, and finding ways to prevent it is a
      high priority. If the connection seen in this study holds true in
      further research, cutting back on red meat may prove to be a
      relatively simple way for women to lower their risk of some types of
      breast cancer.

      Harvard Medical School researchers wanted to tease out the possible
      relationship between red meat and breast cancer in younger women. To
      do so, they looked at the records of 91,000 women between the ages of
      26 and 46 who were taking part in a large lifestyle study of women
      called the Nurses' Health Study II. During the course of the study,
      these women -- none of whom had reached menopause -- periodically
      answered questions about their diet, including how much red and
      processed meat (including beef, lamb, pork, hamburger, bacon, hot
      dogs, etc.) they ate and how often they ate it. The findings appear
      in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

      What was found: Over the course of 12 years, 1,021 of the women in
      that group went on to develop invasive breast cancer. Women who ate
      lots of red meat -- more than 1.5 servings per day -- had nearly
      double the risk of developing breast cancer as did those who ate 3
      servings a week or less. The study did not examine how red meat
      might raise breast cancer risk. Citation: "Red Meat Intake and Risk
      of Breast Cancer Among Premenopausal Women." Published in the Nov.
      13, 2006 Archives of Internal Medicine (Vol. 166. No. 20: 2253-2259).
      First author: Eunyoung Cho, ScD, Brigham and Women's Hospital and
      Harvard Medical School."

      [Very edited from:

      who eat a diet moderately low in carbohydrates, but rich in vegetable
      fat and vegetable protein, can cut their risk of heart disease by as
      much as 30 percent compared to just following a low-fat approach,
      according to a new Harvard study. The findings, drawn from a study
      of more than 80,000 nurses, reinforce a growing shift in nutritional
      advice toward moderate amounts of healthy fat found in such foods as
      nuts, avocados, liquid vegetable oils and seafood along with
      less-processed carbohydrates, including whole-grain bread and cereal,
      fruit and vegetables. The new findings, published in today's issue
      of the New England Journal of Medicine, underscore that eating few
      processed carbohydrates, such as bagels, white bread, cookies, candy
      and cake, and replacing animal fat with a moderate amount of healthy
      vegetable oils "can help reduce the risk of heart disease," said
      Alice Lichtenstein, professor at Tufts University Friedman School of
      Nutrition Science and Policy.

      ... experts agree on several guidelines for controlling weight and
      risk of heart disease: -- Avoid saturated and trans fats; use healthy
      vegetable oils such as canola and olive. -- Get as much protein and
      fat as you can from vegetable sources, rather than animals, and stick
      to lean meats and fish. -- Avoid baked goods, white bread and highly
      processed foods heavy on sugar, corn syrup and sodium. -- Eat more
      high-quality carbohydrates such as whole-grain breads and rice,
      oatmeal, fresh fruit and vegetables. -- Limit sugary beverages.

      [Edited from:

      FOODS: (11/13/06): "A team from Reading University and Rothamsted
      Research in the U.K. has discovered that wheat grown from
      sulfur-deprived soils creates flour with high acrylamide production
      levels. Acrylamides are found in foods such as potato chips, cookies
      and crusty bread, and is created when specific amino acids -- such as
      asparagines -- and sugars reach high temperatures while being cooked
      -- a process known as the Maillard reaction. The carcinogen first
      began to gain notoriety in 2002 when Swedish Food Administration
      scientists reported unexpectedly high levels of it in foods with high
      levels of carbohydrates. This latest research, published in the
      Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, is part of a food
      industry initiative to reduce acrylamides in foods by analyzing the
      source ingredients.

      Experts say the soil mineral content problem has stemmed from the
      decreased use of sulphate-enriched fertilizers and increase in crop
      yields. According to the U.K.'s Home Grown Cereals Authority, sulfur
      about 23 percent of the land used for cereal crops. The Reading and
      Rothamsted researchers discovered the soil mineral/acrylamide link
      when they grew three varieties of winter wheat and found that
      sulfur-deprived grain had up to 30 times more amino acids. When flour
      made from that wheat was heated to 320 degrees Fahrenheit for 20
      minutes, the acrylamide content reached a level between 2,600g to
      5,200g per kg compared to normal levels of 600g to 900g (on a parts
      per billion scale).

      "This is the first research we've seen that shows how mineral
      depletion of our soils causes increased toxicity in our foods," said
      Mike Adams, a consumer health advocate and author of the Honest Food
      Guide. "Mineral depletion not only reduces the nutritional content of
      the foods we eat, it actually alters the chemical reactions of foods
      during processing, resulting in the runaway creation of toxic
      chemicals that promote cancer. "This research provides yet another
      strong reason for buying organic," he added."

      [Very edited from:

      'LOCAVORES' DINE ON REGIONAL CHOW: (11/21/06): "Hundreds of
      "locavores" scattered around the country are celebrating Thanksgiving
      this year with their own 100-mile meals. Local, sustainable eating
      is a noble cause. As advocates like Alice Waters and Michael Pollan
      have labored to make clear, it's good for both eater and eaten, not
      to mention the economy and the planet. The 100-mile diet is perhaps
      the quickest and cleverest way to build awareness of food miles, and
      the pleasures and challenges of local "foodsheds." In just one
      traditional Thanksgiving dessert, easily assembled at any
      supermarket, pecans from Georgia fill a pie shell made with Oregon
      wheat and Wisconsin butter, with corn syrup from Iowa, sugar from
      Florida, bourbon from Kentucky. If you're eating it in New York, that
      adds up to some 6,000 miles for one pie -- 14,000 if you splash in
      some Madagascar vanilla.

      ...here are some starting points for those who want to go local.
      First, find your 100-mile radius at http://100milediet.org/map/ --
      it'll give you a sense of what's included and what isn't. (The
      mapping feature only works in the United States and Canada.)"

      [Very edited from the article with many embedded and sidebar links at:

      ["The Eat Local Challenge:"

      ["Local Food for National Security and Public Health:"

      *07: Adopt-A-Microbe, Backwards Burger, Meatrix2.5, Rabbit or Tiger?

      [Video: "The Backwards Hamburger:"

      [Video: "The Meatrix 2.5:"

      DOG HOPS ON BUS TO GO TO PUB: (11/08/06): "A dog owner is having to
      chain up his pet to stop him hopping on to the bus and going to the
      pub. Gary Kay's terrier Ratty regularly got on the bus on his own to
      go to the Black Bull pub, in Hull Road, York. Ratty made the trip to
      the pub, where he was fed sausages by a barmaid, twice a week,
      reports the York Post. His outings came to an end when the pub went
      upmarket and banned animals from the premises. But now Gary, from
      Dunnington, York, says Ratty has found a new local - the Rose And
      Crown Pub, in Lawrence Street. He believes Ratty has been getting
      off the bus at the Black Bull on his own, crossing the road and
      turning up at the Rose and Crown. "I've had to start chaining him up
      because, although he can get to the pub on his own he can't get
      home," said Gary. "I've no idea how he is doing any of this or how
      he crosses the road. This dog just has a mind of his own."

      [Edited from:

      ALF TARGETS TIGER, TAKES RABBIT: (10/23/06): "Animal rights
      activists who broke into a circus to liberate a rare white tiger
      changed their minds after seeing it - and took a bunny rabbit
      instead. Campaigners from the Swiss faction of the Animal Liberation
      Front had earlier told Circus Royal director Oliver Skreinig they
      planned to steal the Siberian tiger and hand him to a zoo. But when
      they broke into the circus enclosure and saw the animal they changed
      their minds - and stole a rabbit instead. The liberationists then
      posted pictures of themselves online wearing black army uniforms and
      balaclavas and holding the rabbit. Skreinig said: "The pet rabbit
      was not even in the show, it belonged to our clown's six-year-old

      [Edited from:

      *08: Brainy Birds/Manatees, Elephant's "I am", Vortex Menace
      can recognize themselves in mirrors, according to a new study.
      Humans, great apes, and dolphins are the only other animals known to
      possess this form of self-awareness. All of these animals also lead
      socially complex lives and display empathy-concern and understanding
      of another's feelings-researchers report. "There seems to be some
      correlation between an ability to recognize oneself in a mirror and
      higher forms of social complexity," said Joshua Plotnik, a graduate
      student in psychology at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.

      To assess elephants' self-awareness, Plotnik and his colleagues
      tested three adult female Asian elephants in front of a mirror. All
      three pachyderms sized up their mirror images by inspecting behind
      the mirror, rubbing their trunks the length of the mirror, or probing
      their mouths with their trunks to see if their reflections did the
      same. One elephant named Happy also passed the so-called mark test,
      repeatedly touching her trunk to a white X painted on her forehead
      that was only visible in the mirror. The researchers say this is
      firm evidence of mirror self-recognition. Plotnik and colleagues add
      that documentation of mirror self-recognition in elephants suggests
      that self-awareness has evolved independently in elephants, dolphins,
      humans, and great apes, which include orangutans, gorillas, and

      [Very edited from:

      BIRDS HAVE BRILLIANT BRAINS, SAY EXPERTS: (11/06/06): "Scientists
      have discovered that the common pigeon actually has an astonishingly
      good long-term memory. In tests they found a single bird can
      memorise 1,200 pictures. The team said that, despite clear physical
      differences between birds and other animals, there are important
      similarities in the way their memories work. They therefore
      concluded that the processes that drive the way we store and retrieve
      memories appear to be largely the same throughout the animal world.
      Anyone who has seen squirrels dig up nuts will know they have some
      long-term memory.

      But to date no-one has actually challenged different species to see
      just how much they can learn. The new study, published in the
      Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), set out to do
      just this with two species - pigeons and baboons. Each species was
      given tests in which they were shown a picture and then given a
      choice of two possible responses. For example if shown a picture of
      a lamp they might then get shown a red and green key - one of which
      has been randomly selected by a computer as the 'correct' label for
      the image. To train them, the birds were given a food reward if they
      correctly pecked the key that matched the image. Baboons were given
      a similar test but had to push a button instead. Both species were
      tested over the course of several years to see just how much they
      could remember.

      To the amazement of the scientists from the Mediterranean Institute
      of Cognitive Neurosciences in Marseille, France, the pigeons were
      able to memorise up to 1,200 pictures and the correct responses.
      Baboons performed much better with some managing to remember 5,000
      successfully. Despite the difference in the capacity of their
      memories, the researchers noted some key similarities in their
      reaction times and rate of forgetfulness."

      [Very edited from:

      MANATEES MAY BE SMARTER THAN WE THINK: (11/11/06): "Back in 1902, a
      scientist examining the smooth, grapefruit-size brain of a manatee
      remarked that the organ's unwrinkled surface resembled that of the
      brain of an idiot. Ever since then, manatees have generally been
      considered incapable of doing anything more complicated than chewing
      sea grass. But Hugh, a manatee in a tank at a Florida marine
      laboratory, doesn't seem like a dimwit. When a buzzer sounds, the
      speed bump-shaped mammal slowly flips his 1,300 pounds and aims a
      whiskered snout toward one of eight loudspeakers lowered into the
      water. Nosing the correct speaker earns him treats.

      Hugh is no manatee prodigy. Such sensory experiments, along with
      other recent studies, are revealing that sea cows aren't so stupid
      after all. "They're not under any selection pressure to evolve the
      rapid-type behavior we've associated with hawks, a predator, or
      antelopes, a prey. They look like very contented animals that don't
      have very much to do all day," said Roger Reep, a neuroscientist at
      the University of Florida's College of Veterinary Medicine. The
      experiments under way at the independent Mote Marine Laboratory,
      could help scientists protect Florida's manatees, an endangered
      species, from propellers and other dangers.

      Scientists have long assumed brains with many folds - such as those
      belonging to dolphins and humans - are a sign of intelligence. But
      Reep argues the cause behind those brain folds is unknown, and
      smooth-brained manatees don't seem to be missing anything important.
      "The brain looks just as complex internally as any other mammalian
      brain," said Reep, co-author with Bob Bonde, a Florida biologist with
      the U.S. Geological Survey, of a book on manatee physiology."

      [Edited from:

      toothbrushes, beach toys and used condoms are part of a vast vortex
      of plastic trash in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, threatening sea
      creatures that get tangled in it, eat it or ride on it, a new report
      says. Because plastic doesn't break down the way organic material
      does, ocean currents and tides have carried it thousands of miles to
      an area between Hawaii and the U.S. West Coast, according to the
      study by the international environmental group Greenpeace. This
      swirling vortex, which can grow to be about the size of Texas, is not
      far from the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, designated as a protected
      U.S. national monument in June by President George W. Bush.

      The Greenpeace report, "Plastic Debris in the World's Oceans" said at
      least 267 species -- including seabirds, turtles, seals, sea lions,
      whales and fish -- are known to have suffered from entanglement or
      ingestion of marine debris. Some 80 percent of this debris comes
      from land and 20 percent from the oceans, the report said, with four
      main sources: tourism, sewage, fishing and waste from ships and
      boats. The new report comes days after the journal Science projected
      that Earth's stocks of fish and seafood would collapse by 2048 if
      trends in overfishing and pollution continue.

      By hitching rides on plastic debris, invasive species can be carried
      thousands of miles to interact with native creatures, Smith said.
      Plastic also poses a hazard to animals that mistake it for prey and
      eat it, he said. "Plastics in the oceans act as a toxic sponge,
      soaking up a lot of the persistent pollutants out here," Smith [of
      Greenpeace] said. "We've seen photos of albatrosses who eat this
      plastic ... Even though their stomachs are filled, they end up
      starving because there's no nutrients in there." Discarded or lost
      fishing nets and traps can continue to catch fish when they are no
      longer in use, the report said. Greenpeace called for a global
      network of marine reserves, covering 40 percent of the world's
      oceans, and responsibility by coastal countries to cut down on
      "excessive consumption" and boost recycling."

      [Edited from:

      [Download the GreenPeace report at:

      *09: Upcoming Events of Note
      Gentle Thanksgiving 2006: "Gentle Thanksgiving is an effort to
      encourage friends, family and neighbors to adopt compassionate
      alternatives to unnecessarily cruel turkey dinners. We accomplish
      this by demonstrating the great taste and superior nutrition of
      gourmet vegetarian recipes and a variety of festive plant-based

      [More details at:

      *10: Howard's Schedule
      DEC 02: Seattle, WA > Premiere of the film "Pigs Peace Sanctuary" -
      7pm, Historic University Center, 5510 University Way NE -

      APRIL 2007: (last three weeks): some openings on the East Coast -
      contact: webmaster@...

      [More information/embedded links at:

      *11: Quick Bytes

      ["Fast Food Folly:" (review of "Fast Food Nation")

      ["Native Vegetables Could Help Solve Africa's Food Crisis:"

      [SUPERB CSA (community supported agriculture) interactive resource:"

      ["Journey of a New Vegan:"

      ["Organic Consumers: Read, Blog & Meet-up!:"

      [The Mad Cowboy Newsletter Editor's Vegan Blog:

      [Podcasts, radio:

      ["The FatFreeVegan Blog:"

      ["The Vegan Lunch Box Blog (PETA & Bloggy Award-winning:"

      [Bryanna Clark Grogan's Blog:

      ["Raw Vegan Blog and Podcasts:"

      ["Recommended Blogs & Websites for Food & Farming Information:"

      ["Bellying Up Organic:"

      ["Clogged Arteries Showing Up in Kids:"

      ["Elevated blood sugar kills 3 million people world wide each year:"

      ["Only 50 years Left for Sea Fish:"

      [Farmed Animal Net:

      [VegNews Monthly Newsletter:

      [FARMUSA's MeatOut Monday Newsletter:

      [PCRM Membership News and Info:
      Send e-mail to: membership@...

      [Vegetarians In Paradise Newsletter:

      [International Vegetarian Union Newsletter:

      ["In a Vegetarian Kitchen: (Nava Atlas):"

      ["International Organization for Animal Protection:"

      [Over 10,000 veg'n recipe links:

      ["Over 1,000 International (regional) Vegetarian Recipes:"
      [PCRM Recipe Archives:

      [Almost 2,000 searchable fat-free veg'n recipes:

      [Awardwinning searchable veg'n recipe database:

      [Constantly wonderful site of vegan recipes:

      ["Green for Go if You're Vegan:

      ["A Foodie on the Loose at the Vegan Holiday Festival:"

      *12: Closing Thoughts
      "Therefore, if we want to change the world, we must do it with the
      full cooperation of others, that is with a smile on our faces. We
      need to sow the seed by becoming ambassadors of information. Remember
      that each and everyone of us operates in a pool of people who may not
      even listen or talk to you. But if you get a new blouse or a car,
      they'll know about it because they are watching.

      One solution to the problem could be to get a thick book on
      vegetarianism, take it to work with you, leave it on the desk - you
      don't even have to read it. Sooner or later some of those people
      will come along, they'll flick through that book and they'll ask you
      what it's about. You might answer that by reading it, it's possible
      to learn how to remove 91% of potential carcinogens and toxins from
      your diet and also how to live 15 years longer. They will look at you
      and ask, "Are you one of those V people?" At this point, you can talk
      to them about the reasons for your vegetarian choice - but until they
      ask you the question, it means they're not ready.

      Never forget that the most potent statement in the world that you can
      make every day is what you put on your fork."

      --- Howard Lyman (from the interview posted at: