Resolution of Mad Cowboy Newsletter Receipt Problems

  • soulveggie
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      We want to thank everyone for their patience as we endeavored to
      figure out "why" some people were receiving the newsletter (sent out
      late 10/28/06) and some were not. This e-mail will explain what we
      think has been going on and what steps affected people can take to
      correct the problem.

      1) apparently, those impacted were largely some AOL and GMAIL users.
      We believe that since the newsletter was larger than normal, some of
      the more stringent spam filtering was triggered.

      2) in the case of AOL, we were able to validate that a "high" setting
      for spam filtering, accompanied with a "permanently delete" (instead
      of "file to spam folder) co-option, could cause the newsletter to
      "disappear (or note show up)" without any return error messages.
      Discussions with AOL and subsequent tests have confirmed this probability.

      WHAT TO DO:

      Subscribers who've not received the newsletter, should check their
      current "spam folders" and see if the newsletter is there, and if so,
      select it and tell your spam filter (usually by selecting "this is not
      spam" or something similar), and the newsletter will (a) be put into
      your IN Box and (b) the spam filter will know that subsequent
      newsletters are NOT spam.

      AOL users, in particular, if not having received a newsletter, should
      consider checking their spam filter settings and set them for "put
      suspect spam into spam filter" instead of "delete." The Yahoo Group
      address (below), presumably, can also be added as a "friend" to defer
      flagging as spam.

      FINAL NOTES:

      1) everyone not receiving a newsletter, who have received one before,
      should consider checking their spam folders/settings

      2) we're going to try and keep the newsletter down to the same size as
      issue 53 (previous, no problems "mailing") as, assuming AOL, GMAIL,
      and others e-mail providers didn't change anything significant in how
      they handle spam since that issue was sent, this should avoid future
      problems.

      3) please note, too, that you can always see current/past newsletters
      at the following address:

      We plan to send out a final copy of Issue 54 late Thursday, and that
      should give people time to check their settings.

      Again, we are sorry for any inconvenience, and if there are any
      questions, please feel free to contact the Mad Cowboy Newsletter
      editor at: Mad_Cowboy-owner@yahoogroups.com

      Best regards, and wishes for a Great Fall! Mark