08_10_02 Newsletter (n02-v01)

  • vegetus@hoodel.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10 5:19 PM
      MAD COWBOY E-NEWSLETTER: 08/10/02 (Number 02, Volume 01)

      HOWDY!

      Well, here it is, y'all, the second issue of the Mad Cowboy e-Newsletter! Some surprises (awards to Howard, a tribute from John Robbins), some new factoids, and some new ways to contribute to the Making of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary! PLUS... World Farm Animals Day!

      NOTE: the following is also available on the http://www.madcowboy.com website.

      Best, Mark

      ----------------
      (BURGERMANIA):

      "HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL WHEN YOU SEE PEOPLE YOU KNOW, PEOPLE YOU LIKE EATING BURGERS?"

      "I understand, but I also believe that it's just like when they're smoking that they basically are shortening their life and I have never met a hamburger that was worth dying over and so when I have the opportunity, I always tell my friends that I would just as soon be alive to go to their funeral because if they continue eating beef I will absolutely outlive them, and if they want to come to mine they are going to have to change their diet." (Howard Lyman being questioned in the 1997 McLibel Documentary)
      ----------------

      SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

      *DONATIONS to the "Making of Mad Cowboy: The Feature Documentary"

      (1) During the month of August, THEVEGETARIANSITE.COM will be donating 10% of all sales to the "Voice for a Viable Future" MAD COWBOY Documentary Fund! You'll be helping a great project while enjoying easy mail-order access to cruelty-free items including: footwear, purses, belts, wallets, hemp sweaters, message t-shirts, books, videos, personal care items, juicers, & candy. There's also lots of great veg info available through their home page.

      http://www.theVegetarianSite.com/

      (2) JOYFUL HANDS HOLISTIC PET CARE & BAKERY: want to truly save the Planet? GO VEGAN! Joyful Hands proudly donates 10% of your purchases to Howard Lyman's Documentary. Please visit "Howard's Page" on our site for more information. E-mail: joyfulhnds@... Website:

      http://www.joyfulhands.com/

      *WORLD FARM ANIMALS DAY: what are you doing to help combat Factory Farming? Oct 02, '02
      http://www.wfad.org

      *************************
      HOWARD GIVEN TWO MORE AWARDS!

      *THE SEA SHEPARD MEDAL:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_SSaward.000.html

      *THE NORTH AMERICAN VEGETARIAN SOCIETY VEGETARIAN "HALL OF FAME"... pix of Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Alex Hershaft, with a special written tribute by John Robbins:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_NAVaward.000.html

      "Howard sees the pain of our times and knows it personally. He sees how wrong, how terribly and tragically mistaken, we have become in our food production and consumption patterns. He is not alone is seeing this. But what makes Howard Lyman so unique and so extraordinary is that he has given his life, with all his formidable talents and dedication, to do what he can and all that he can to help steer us towards a sane, ethical, and grateful relationship to what gives us life."

      "Howard Lyman is a big man, not because of his physical stature, but because of his moral stature. He stands among us as a man of love." (John Robbins, http://www.foodrevolution.org)

      *************************
      *CHECK OUT TERRY SINGELTARY, SR'S SUPERB "MAD COW DISEASE" DISCUSSION BOARD:
      http://www.vegsource.com/talk/madcow/index.html

      *************************
      NEW FACTOIDS & RELATED LINKS

      The following are some favorites of the 25 new referenced factoids posted on the MadCowboy website (of the some 140 total!):

      *MAD COW & OTHER FOOD-BORNE DISEASES*

      "A study by the University of Arizona found higher levels of coliform bacteria in the American kitchen than on the rim of the toilet. Journalist Nicols Fox notes that this contamination seems to arrive ├Čas a bonus on the animal foods people bring into their kitchens. The bathroom is cleaner because people are not washing their chickens in the toilet." (Fox, Nicols, Spoiled: The Dangerous Truth About a Food Chain Gone Haywire, Basic Books/harper-Collins, New York, 1997, pg 194)

      "What a former USDA microbiologist, Gerald Kuester, says of processed chicken --- "(The) final product is no different than if you stuck it in the toilet and ate it." (Behar, Richard, and Kramer, Michael, "Something Smells Fowl," Time, Oct 17, 1994, pg 42-45)

      *THE ENVIRONMENT*

      "Number of species of birds in one square mile of Amazon rainforest: More than exist in all of North America." (Gore, Al, Earth In Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit, Plume, New York, 1993, pg 23)

      "Life forms destroyed in the production of each fast-food hamburger made from rainforest beef: Members of 20 to 30 different plant species,100 different insect species, and dozens of bird, mammal and reptile species." (Denslow, Julie, and Padoch, Christine, People of the Tropical Rainforest, University of California Press, 1988, pg 169)

      *ANIMAL RIGHTS*

      "A common perception of livestock people is that animal rights activists don't understand the livestock industry (they don't 'get it,' in current terminology) because of their urban backgrounds...The activists do 'get it,' they know what is going on, and they don't like it." (Peter R. Cheeke, Ph.D., Editor, Journal of Animal Science) (Cheeke, Peter, Contemporary Issues in Animal Agriculture, 2nd ed., Interstate Publishers, Danville, IL, 1999 pg. 258)