03_10_06: Low Fat Bull, 11 Super Foods, Top 12 Animal Stories

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2006
      Howdy! Welcome to the 51st Edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter!

      In this issue you'll find an excerpt from (and link to) a wonderful letter sent to Howard about one person's transformational experience and the reaction of her doctors. You'll also see a picture of arguably the best vegan pizza (ever), read four knowledgeable responses to the recent "low fat diets don't work" study getting all that press, learn about the current scientific consensus about global climate change, how global warming is impacting frogs, the many problems with bottled water, and why nutritional labels for shoes is a good idea.

      Further on down (of note) there's information about a unique hippo, how squids are surprising scientists, "the Unsinkable Molly B. (for "bovine"... and she has a home page!)," 11 Super Foods (and why they are such), how veggies help lower blood pressure, and new ideas about how red meat contributes to cancer causation. There's also our comprehensive "Mad Cow Corral" series of cites, PETA's 2006 Proggy Awards, the President of the Humane Society of the US picks the "top 12" animal stories of 2005, and Bryanna's marvelous vegan "melty cheese sauce" recipe from "No More Bull!"

      As always, a nod of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all can read back issues (the're searchable via key words) at:

      ...and don't miss our "Quick Bytes" section of links to various articles, new nutrition findings, resources, blogs, and much more. It's larger than normal this edition.

      Finally, our best wishes to all for a great 2006 and a well-deserved Spring (you are planning your gardens, aren't you?)

      Mark [personal vegan blog: http://www.soulveggie.com]

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quote(s) from Howard
      01: A Letter to Howard
      02: Pix from Howard's Trips (& Best Vegan Pizza Ever...)
      04: Another Great Recipe from "No More Bull!"
      05: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      06: Low Fat Bull, Adventists' Advantage, McFat+, Blaming Health
      07: Climate Consensus/Frogs, Shoe Nutrition, H2O Concerns
      08: Hippo Love, Bovine Flees, Squids Care, and a Budgie Stitcher
      09: 11 Super Foods, Diet/Mental Health, Better BP, Meat/Cancer
      10: Veg MTV, USDA Sued, Proggy Awards, Top 12 Animal Stories
      11: Upcoming Events of Note
      12: Howard Schedule
      13: Quick Bytes
      14: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Quote(s) from Howard
      "For those who are vegetarian and not yet vegan, I ask, what in heaven's name are you waiting for? If you are trying to avoid the health pitfalls of eating carcasses --- high fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol content; lack of fiber; deficiency of vitamins and enzymes; abundance of stored toxins --- well, then take a good look at the dairy you're eating. Dairy is basically liquid meat without the iron. The false belief that a vegetarian diet tends to be deficient in iron stems from the reality that too many vegetarians, in making the transition away from meat, fall into a tragic dependence upon dairy, which is not only deficient in iron, but impedes the absorption of iron. All manner of vegetables, grains, and legumes will provide you with the iron that dairy lacks. Milk should be viewed as no more or less than what it is: a delivery system for fat, cholesterol, blood, pus, antibiotics, and carcinogenic growth hormones."

      --- Howard Lyman ("Message for My Fellow Vegetarians and Vegans," in "No More Bull!" pp. 79-80.)

      ["No More Bull!"
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VVFprods.002.html

      *01: A Letter to Howard
      "January 13, 2006

      Dear Mr. Lyman:

      It is a pleasure to thank you for all of your work and commitment toward educating us about the dangers of a diet based on meat and dairy. Your book (Mad Cowboy) and Dvd lecture, and Robert Cohen's work, have changed my life and my family's diet. We so much appreciate that you share your knowledge and experience with us, as this information is not altogether easy to come by in America.

      My numerous physicians never warned me about the dangers of my diet, except for one. Last year I was diagnosed with cancer and a bad liver; I was 40 years old. Of course it was shocking to me & my family. after several surgeries to removed the ever-traveling cancer masses from my chest, and enduring a lot of pain and fear, a new physician (from India) told me that one of my problems was my diet. No other physician had told me this. No other physician told me to change my diet. At any rate, this doctor advised me to immediately give up all meat and diary.

      Although it was a difficult transition for me, because I loved drinking milk so much, I did stop drinking it. Within 5 - 6 months of juicing vegetables and eating raw fruits---my liver improved!..."

      [excerpted from the notable and complete letter posted at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_MELetterToHoward.html

      *02: Pix from Howard's Trips (& Best Vegan Pizza Ever...)
      [Dale, Jane, and Howard:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/2006_03_PIX/Dale_Jane_HL.jpg

      [Howard, Willow, and Dave Allen:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/2006_03_PIX/Euge_HL_DaveAllen_092006.jpg

      [Howard, Willow, and Carrie:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/2006_03_PIX/Eugene_HL_Carrie_092006_05.jpg

      [Howard and Willow:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/2006_03_PIX/HL_Willow _092006.jpg

      ["Best Vegan Pizza Ever (at the Pizza Research Institute):
      http://www.madcowboy.com/2006_03_PIX/BestPizzaEver_092006.jpg

      "The Vegan Chef's Choice: usually topped with ten to fifteen different veggies included small pieces of corn on the cob, squash, portobello mushrooms, peppers, sliced potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, etc"

      [Restaurant Reviews:
      http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=2419
      http://www.vegguide.org/vendor/view.html?vendor_id=2172
      http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/12/09/3.tk.bestvegpizza.1209.p1.php?section=bestof

      [Per. 100 g: lentils (51 mg.), almonds (248 mg.), sesame seeds (975 mg.), kale (135 mg.), tempeh (111 mg.):
      http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/measure.pl

      THIS WEEK'S VEGAN MIND-BENDER:
      "The citizens of which of these countries drank the most bottled water per person (in 2004)?"

      (a) Italy (b) Mexico (c) United Arab Emirates (d) Belgium (e) USA

      Please e-mail guesses to: webmaster@... with the word "contest" in your subject line by NLT March 24th, 2006.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *04: Another Great Recipe from "No More Bull!"
      MELTY PIZZA CHEESE, by Bryanna Clark Grogan

      "This easy recipe is tastier than any commercial vegan cheese substitute and much cheaper. It makes great grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas. The nutritional yeast adds protein and lots of B-complex vitamins.

      (yield: 1 1/4 cups)

      1 cup water
      1/4 cup nutritional yeast
      2 tablespoons cornstarch
      1 tablespoon flour
      1 teaspoon lemon juice
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
      2 tablespoons water
      1 tablespoon canola oil (optional)

      Place all the ingredients, except the water and optional oil, in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a small sauce pan and stir over medium heat until it starts to thicken, then let it bubble for 30 seconds. Whisk vigorously.

      Microwave Option: Pour the mixture into a microwave-proof bowl; cover and cook on high for 2 minutes. Whisk, then microwave for 2 more minutes, and whisk again.

      Whisk in the water and optional oil. The oil adds richness and helps it melt better, but the cheese still only contains 2.6 grams of fat per 1/4 cup.

      Drizzle immediately over pizza or other food, and broil or bake until a skin forms on top. Alternatively, refrigerate in a small, covered plastic container for up to a week. It will become quite firm when chilled but will remain spreadable. You can spread the firm cheese on bread or quesadillas for grilling, or heat it to spread more thinly on casseroles, etc.

      Variations [excerpted... there are many]:

      Melty Chedda Cheese: Use 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes and add 1/4 teaspoon each sweet paprika and mustard powder. Use only 1/4 teaspoon salt and add 1 tablespoon light soy or garbanzo miso to the blended mixture. I like this version using tahini, too.

      Melty Suisse Cheese: Omit the oil and use only 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add 1 tablespoon tahini and 1 tablespoon light soy or chickpea miso to the blended mixture.

      For a Nacho Sauce: You can add drained canned black beans, chopped jalapenos or other chiles, chopped olives, a pinch of cumin, etc."

      (From: "No More Bull!" by Howard Lyman, 1st published in "20 Minutes to Dinner," by Bryanna Clark Grogan")

      [Bryanna's wonderful website:
      http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/

      *05: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      JAPAN TO STOP ALL IMPORTS OF U.S. BEEF: (01/20/06): "Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said on Friday Japan would halt all imports of U.S. beef after a recent shipment was found to possibly contain material considered at risk for mad cow disease. "This is a pity given that imports had just resumed," Koizumi told reporters. "I received the agriculture minister's report over the telephone with his recommendation that the imports be halted and I think it is a good idea." Koizumi said he directed the agriculture and health ministers to talk with the U.S. side to put measures into place that would guarantee the safety of the beef sent to Japan."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.forbes.com/work/feeds/ap/2006/01/20/ap2464080.html

      US ADMITS BEEF EXPORT A MISTAKE: (01/23/06): "America's deputy secretary of state Robert Zoellick admitted to Japan's Agriculture Minister Shoichi Nakagawa, that a beef shipment to Japan that resulted in a renewed ban on imports was an "unacceptable mistake", a US Embassy official said. Japan renewed a ban on US beef imports on Friday, just a month after lifting it, following the discovery of spinal material, which it insists be removed to reduce the risk of mad cow disease. The problem is the discovery of bone, a mad cow disease risk, in a shipment of veal from a plant in New York. Restrictions against bone in beef shipments have remained in Asia because officials fear marrow and other bone tissue might be dangerous."

      [Edited from:
      http://smh.com.au/news/world/us-admits-beef-export-a-mistake/2006/01/22/1137864809648.html

      NEW CASE OF MAD COW DISEASE IN POLAND: (12/28/05): "A new case of mad cow disease has been detected in Poland. The infected animal was found on a farm in the northwest of the country. Eight other animals have been identified as exposed to a risk of contamination and have also been killed. According to the national veterinary service, there have been 22 cases of mad cow disease in Poland since BSE testing began four years ago."

      [From:
      http://www.radio.com.pl/polonia/article.asp?tId=31199&j=2

      REUSED DEVICES, SURGERY'S DEADLY SUSPECTS: (12/30/05): "Surgical devices used during brain surgery frequently are reused on other patients after being sterilized. But medical experts say traditional sterilization methods do not always eradicate the infectious agent from surgical instruments exposed to CJD because it is not a conventional bacteria or virus; it is believed to be an abnormal protein, or prion. In addition, CJD and other prion diseases are difficult to detect and can take years to emerge -- through dementia or neurological impairments. The Food and Drug Administration has not imposed rules to address the issue, either. The agency said it is unclear from research how to effectively decontaminate devices potentially contaminated by prions. As a result, the federal agency said in an e-mail response to questions, "There are no specific rules/regulations that address this issue presently nor any acceptable decontamination protocols."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.vegsource.com/talk/madcow/messages/1000350.html

      [Original source (may expire):
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/29/AR2005122901536.html?referrer=emailarticle

      MCDONALD'S SAY U.S. GOVT BSE DEFENSE NOT WORKING: (01/04/06): "Researchers and McDonald's Corp. (MCD) say the government isn't fully protecting animals or people from bovine spongiform encephalopathy, also known as BSE, or mad-cow disease. Stronger steps are needed to keep infection from entering the food chain for cattle, the critics wrote in comments to the Food and Drug Administration. The group includes McDonald's Corp., seven scientists and experts and a pharmaceutical supplier, Serologicals Corp (SERO). The government proposed new safeguards two months ago, but researchers said that effort "falls woefully short" and would continue to let cattle eat potentially infected feed, the primary way mad-cow disease is spread. "We do not feel that we can overstate the dangers from the insidious threat from these diseases and the need to control and arrest them to prevent any possibility of spread," the researchers wrote. McDonald's said the risk of exposure to the disease should be reduced to zero, or as close as possible. "It is our opinion that the government can take further action to reduce this risk," wrote company Vice President Dick Crawford."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.cattlenetwork.com/content.asp?contentid=16082

      ALBERTA COW TESTS POSITIVE FOR MAD COW: (01/23/06): "A six-year-old cow in Alberta has tested positive for mad cow disease, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency confirmed Monday. No parts of the animal were processed for the human food system, CFIA chief veterinary officer Dr. Brian Evans told a news conference in Alberta. Describing the test results as "unwelcome but not unexpected," Evans insisted the Canadian food supply was "safe.""

      [Edited from:
      http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060123/mad_cow__060123/20060123?hub=Health

      DEER MUSCLE MAY CARRY BRAIN-WASTING PRIONS: STUDY: (01/27/06): "The infectious proteins that cause brain-wasting disease have been found in the leg muscles of infected deer, a laboratory experiment shows. Scientists say there is no evidence people have caught the disease from infected deer. But the new findings, in Friday's issue of the journal Science, suggest hunters could potentially be exposed from sick animals. Chronic wasting disease affects ranched elk and wild deer in Saskatchewan and Alberta, according to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. It is also found in deer and elk across the U.S. West and Midwest. Prion researchers don't yet know if prions that cause chronic wasting disease can infect people the same way BSE prions can lead to variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans.

      "It's certainly unsettling," Dr. Neil Cashman, a prion scientist in Toronto, told the Canadian Press."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2006/01/27/cwd-muscle060127.html

      USDA BACKS OFF ON NATIONAL FARM ANIMAL DATA BASE & MANDATORY ID PROPOSAL: (01/27/06): "There won't be a mandatory U.S. animal identification program by 2009, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture has dropped a 6-month-old plan for contracting with a privatized central database to launch the cattle segment of ID. Instead of a single database... USDA, state and tribal animal health agencies will use multiple databases, relying on those who contract with the USDA to furnish livestock tracking information. "Our preference is a centralized system. It is probably the most efficient ... probably the least costly," Hammerschmidt [USDA's National Animal Identification System coordinator] said. "However, it has been made clear to us that achieving one central database is not in the cards. We will interface with multiple databases, both in the private sector and with the states.""

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.capitalpress.info/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=22499&SectionID=67&SubSectionID=782&S=1

      USDA: NEWEST [CANADIAN] BSE CASE NO SURPRISE: (02/02/06): "The newest case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy in Canada will not alter the flow of Canadian beef and live cattle into the United States, contends the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Mike Johanns, USDA secretary, affirmed the department's stance earlier last week, saying, “I anticipate no change in the status of beef or live cattle imports to the U.S. from Canada under our established agreement (between the U.S. and Canada).” John Harrington, chief livestock analyst for the Data Transmission Network agreed the discovery of another BSE case was not “statistically surprising.”

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.theprairiestar.com/articles/2006/02/02/ag_news/livestock/live12.txt

      USDA FOUGHT RETESTING OF INFECTED COW: (02/03/06): "Agriculture Department officials overruled field scientists' recommendation to retest an animal that was suspected of harboring mad cow disease last year because they feared a positive finding would undermine confidence in the agency's testing procedures, the department's inspector general said yesterday. After protests from the inspector general, the specimen was sent to England for retesting and produced the nation's second confirmed case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), also known as mad cow disease. The incident was described in an audit report assessing the department's surveillance program for the disease. It adds that top officials at the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) told them not to do the additional tests."

      Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/02/AR2006020202240.html 4feb2006

      [Very edited from the disturbing article at:
      http://www.mindfully.org/Food/2006/Mad-Cow-USDA3feb2006.htm

      U.S. MEAT SUPPLY AT RISK OF MAD COW DISEASE: (02/06/06): "USDA Report Warns Meat Supply at Risk of Mad Cow Disease - The U.S. Agriculture Department's Inspector General warns beef inspectors aren't strictly following cattle screening rules, increasing the risk of mad cow disease in the nation's meat supply. The report said it found cases where rules covering the slaughter of cattle were being ignored."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/02/usda_mad_cow.html

      JAPAN WILL DESTROY 45 COWS SUSPECTED OF HAVING MAD COW DISEASE: (02/09/06): "Forty-five cows at a farm in northern Japan are suspected of having mad cow disease and will be destroyed, officials said Thursday. The announcement came a month after Japan halted all imports of U.S. beef following the discovery of backbones in a shipment of American veal. The bones are deemed to be at risk of mad cow disease and are banned under a deal that reopened the Japanese market to U.S. beef in December."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/breaking_news/13825818.htm

      BRITAIN ANNOUNCES THIRD TRANSFUSION RELATED 'MAD COW' CASE: (02/10/06): "The Health Protection Agency (HPA) has reported a third case of variant-CJD (a brain disease that represents human form of mad cow disease) in Britain. The patient is said to have contracted the disease from a blood transfusion that had taken place 8 years ago. The donor who had developed symptoms of the disease much earlier, 20 months following the transfusion is under strict medical supervision at the National Prion Clinic and is still alive, according to official reports. Nearly 30 individuals have been reported to have received a blood transfusion from a donor who later developed vCJD in the U.K."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.medindia.net/news/view_news_main.asp?x=7742

      JAPAN CITES CONCERNS ABOUT MAD COW AUDIT: (02/15/06): "Japan is expressing concerns about whether the United States has sufficient safeguards against mad cow disease in slaughterhouses and packing plants. The concerns were cited in a phone conversation Tuesday between Japan's agriculture minister, Shoichi Nakagawa, and Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns. During the call, Nakagawa asked about an audit released earlier this month saying investigators were unable to determine if rules were being followed. In the audit, investigators said they couldn't find that at-risk tissues _ brains, spinal cords and other nerve parts from older animals _ had entered the food supply. However, they couldn't determine whether slaughterhouses and packing plants followed the rules for keeping those tissues out of the food supply. The audit also raised questions about "downer" cattle, animals that can't walk on their own and are considered at-risk for mad cow disease. Downer cows were banned from the food supply in response to a 2003 case of mad cow disease."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/15/ap/health/mainD8FP7KUG0.shtml

      U.S. VOWS TO REFORM BEEF INSPECTION PRACTICES: (02/17/06): "U.S. Ambassador Thomas Schieffer told a news conference Friday that Washington will do its utmost to win back the faith of Japanese consumers with regard to beef imports. Schieffer stressed that the United States will provide "safe, healthy products to Japanese consumers." His remarks follow the release of an Agriculture Department report on why a shipment of U.S. beef contained banned vertebral material, and what measures would be taken to prevent a recurrence. Schieffer said the investigation concluded that the "incident was the result of a failure on the part of the exporter and USDA personnel to know which products were eligible for shipment to Japan. Asked whether Washington would introduce 100 percent testing on beef, Schieffer said he would ask Japanese consumers to take scientific evidence into account.

      "We did not believe that any place in the world would require testing 100 percent of cattle, except for Japan," he said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200602170356.html

      JAPAN WANTS ASSURANCES FOR U.S. BEEF: (02/21/06): "Japan will resume imports of U.S. beef only if Washington can convince Tokyo that it will implement effective safeguards against mad cow disease, a top Japanese official said Tuesday. Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe said the government was still examining a U.S. Department of Agriculture report on the faulty veal shipment that prompted Japan to close its markets to American beef last month. Japan's agriculture minister said on Monday that the report was insufficient and raised a lot of questions, and Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said a quick resumption of imports was unlikely."

      [Edited from:
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060221/ap_on_re_as/japan_us_beef

      'ANIMAL LINK' IN US ANTHRAX CASE: (02/23/06): "A New York-based dancer has contracted respiratory anthrax, apparently after inhaling spores from raw animal hides used on drums. Vado Diamande is in hospital in a stable condition after collapsing during a performance in the state of Pennsylvania last week. Diomande, 44, is said to be a skilled drum tuner, and had recently travelled to Africa to collect skins. Correspondents say inhalation anthrax has a 75% fatality rate, even with antibiotics. He is thought to have inhaled anthrax spores while treating the hides, though it is not clear whether infection occurred in Africa or the US."

      MAD COW-LIKE DISEASE IN ELK SPREAD BY FOREST SERVICE AND BLM FEEDING STATIONS: (02/27/06): "In an effort to prevent the spread of chronic wasting disease and brucellosis among Wyoming elk, Greater Yellowstone Coalition, Jackson Hole Conservation Alliance, and Wyoming Outdoor Council are asking a Wyoming federal court to order the U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management to begin an environmental review of 15 feedgrounds located on federal lands in western Wyoming. The review would study alternatives to the feeding program, such as a phaseout of the feedgrounds that would force elk to disperse across their natural winter range as they do in Montana and Idaho. The goal is to prevent an unnecessary loss of Wyoming's iconic elk herds.

      Chronic wasting disease is the elk equivalent of mad cow disease, a brain wasting disease that is 100 percent fatal in elk. Wyoming's elk feedgrounds "provide nearly ideal conditions for transmission among free-roaming elk," says Markus Peterson, an expert on wildlife diseases from Texas A&M University. Brucellosis is an infectious disease of animals including elk that often results in spontaneous abortion. It is transmissible to human beings."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/feb2006/2006-02-27-09.asp#anchor7

      RARE “MAD SHEEP” STRAIN SUSPECTED IN FRANCE: (02/27/06): "The bird-flu’s entry into France seems to be followed by another variety of animal disease that is vying for news space. The French Agriculture Ministry has announced its suspicion on two cases of an extremely rare strain of “Mad Sheep” disease in Central France. The “Mad Sheep” disease also called, Scrapie and ovine spongiform encephalopathy, has been noticed on two farms in central France. It is premature to make any conclusive assessment of the disease until threadbare tests are conducted, which will take a timeframe of one year, according to the Ministry’s statement. The conditions of transmission of the disease as well as its implications on health remain unknown."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.medindia.net/news/view_news_main.asp?x=8142

      SWEDEN RECORDS FIRST MAD-COW CASE, MAY IMPOSE TOUGHER CONTROLS: (03/03/06): "Sweden, the only European Union country considered at "low risk'' for mad-cow disease, reported its first case of the infection and may now be forced to test all cattle destined for the food chain. he announcement comes as the 25-nation bloc had considered that stricter controls on animal feed and slaughtering standards had reduced the threat to human health. The EU, which accounts for more than 99 percent of the world's identified incidents of the disease, saw the number of cases drop to 482 in the 12 months ending Oct. 30, 2005, from more than 2,129 in 2002."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000085&sid=ayye8SkI26sk&refer=europe

      USDA BEEF TRADE DEALS TOO COMPLEX - US INDUSTRY REPS: (03/08/06): "U.S. negotiators have succeeded over the past few months in getting several countries to ease back bans on U.S. beef, but the web of different deals for different nations has U.S. industry sour over the increasing complexity of exporting. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has separate beef export verification programs -- providing sets of rules for U.S. exporters -- for Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Costa Rica, Mexico, Egypt, Hong Kong, Canada, and others. And most have different safety requirements than those in place for domestic U.S. production. "This is crazy," one U.S. industry representative said on terms of anonymity. "There's unbelievable frustration in the industry."

      Taiwan, for example, has agreed to import beef from the U.S. only if it comes from cattle slaughtered before they reach 30 months of age and only if the animal's brain, eyes, spinal cord, most of the vertebral column and other parts have been removed. Japan, on the other hand, agreed only to import beef from cattle under 21 months old along with many other unique specifications."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.cattlenetwork.com/content.asp?contentid=21752

      EU LIFTS 10-YEAR "MAD COW" BAN ON BEEF: (03/08/06): "British beef can return to Europe's shops and restaurants after a 10-year absence after EU food safety experts agreed on Wednesday to lift an export ban that was imposed at the height of the 1990s mad cow crisis. The EU ban ravaged Britain's beef industry, which saw its last full year of exports in 1995 when shipments to the bloc amounted to some 274,000 tonnes, worth 520 million pounds at the time. The main market was France. "This is excellent news for the British beef industry. This EU decision is a vindication of the controls on BSE and our efforts to eradicate the disease," Margaret Beckett, farm and environment minister, said in a statement. "British farmers produce high quality beef which will be in demand across Europe once the ban is lifted. We know our beef is at the very least as safe as beef produced elsewhere in the EU."

      [Very edited from:
      http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-03-08T111914Z_01_BRU004424_RTRUKOC_0_UK-MADCOW-EU-BRITAIN.xml

      *06: Low Fat Bull, Adventists' Advantage, McFat+, Blaming Health
      THE INFAMOUS LOW-FAT REPORT JUST RELEASED - 4 VIEWS: (02/08/06): "The eight-year studies of nearly 50,000 middle-aged and elderly women reported in today’s edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association confirm a 22-year-old message of the Great American Meatout: It’s not the fat – it’s the meat (and the associated saturated fat). The studies [WHI report] found that low-fat diets alone do not protect women against heart disease, stroke, and colon and breast cancer. However, women who cut down on saturated fat were found to have a lower risk of heart disease, stroke, and colon cancer. A wealth of other studies over the past three decades confirm that consumption of saturated fats, contained in meat and dairy products, raise substantially the risk of contracting these diseases.

      The low-fat obsession began in 1977, when the Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs... published "Dietary Goals for Americans." The report, authored by Prof. Walter Willett of the Harvard School of Public Health and based on two years of testimony by expert witnesses, recommended that Americans reduce their meat consumption. In response, the meat industry forced Prof. Willett to change the report to recommend that Americans reduce fat consumption..."

      [Very edited from FARM (Alex Hershaft's press release) at:

      [For more about FARM's "Great American Meatout:"
      http://www.meatout.org/

      [Dr. McDougall on the report: "“Low-fat diet may not cut some disease risks; little change seen in cancer, heart problems”"
      http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006other/060200lowfat.htm

      [Dr. Dean Ornish on the same report and "why all fats are not the same:"
      http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11225530/site/newsweek/

      [Dr. Fuhrman on same: "Ten Reasons to Keep Eating Healthy Foods Despite Today’s Headlines:"
      http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/research-287-ten-reasons-to-keep-eating-healthy-foods-despite-todayas-headlines.html

      A VEGETARIAN DIET NOT ONLY HEALTHIER BUT SAFER, SAYS ADVENTISTS: (03/07/06): "Recent news reports from the Food and Drug Administration in the United States indicate that meat companies sometimes use carbon monoxide to keep beef looking red and more attractive to consumers. While many doctors agreed that carbon monoxide used in small amounts is not unsafe, the concern is that it can cause even rotting meat to look red and fresh. This is in addition to other meat-related concerns over the last several years, such as, the detrimental Mad Cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy, which can be lethal in humans; a concern that an increase in Mercury in certain types of fish can cause brain damage to fetuses and in young children; and, the most recent meat-related health threat, the Avian flu that is spreading through chickens and other birds. ... the Seventh-day Adventist Church continues to recommend a vegetarian diet primarily for nutritious and spiritual reasons.

      A 1960s study performed by Loma Linda University sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) analyzed the lifestyles [vegetarian] of Adventists. The study found that Adventists, in general, have 50 percent less risk of heart disease, certain types of cancers, strokes and diabetes. The NIH is sponsoring a second study on Adventists to see if there is a link between diet and cancer."

      [Edited from:
      http://news.adventist.org/data/2006/02/1141762542/index.html.en

      MCDONALD'S SAYS FRIES HAVE MORE TRANS FATS THAN THOUGHT: (02/08/06): "The world's largest restaurant chain said Wednesday its fries contain a third more trans fats than it previously knew, citing results of a new testing method it began using in December. That means the level of potentially artery-clogging trans fat in a portion of large fries is eight grams, up from six, with total fat increasing to 30 grams from 25. Often used by restaurants and in packaged foods, trans fats are thought to cause cholesterol problems and increase the risk of heart disease. “Nutritionally it's a disastrous product,” Jacobson [executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest] said of the fries. “McDonald's could fry in canola oil or other liquid oil” as it does in Australia, Denmark and Israel, he said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/health/20060208-1420-mcdonalds-fries.html

      KRAFT FOODS SHARES FALL IN WAKE OF PLANS: (01/31/06): "Shares of Kraft Foods Inc., the nation's biggest food company, fell more than 3 percent Tuesday after disclosing plans to broaden the cost-cutting effort it launched two years ago to boost profits. The maker of Oreo cookies and DiGiorno pizza announced after the markets closed on Monday a three-year plan to slash an additional 8,000 jobs, or 8 percent of its workers, and close 20 production plants worldwide. The soaring cost of meat, coffee, packaging and other commodities has eaten away at the bottom line of Kraft and other food companies over the last year. Kraft's 2004 restructuring came just after a shake-up in top management that followed more than a year of disappointing sales and earnings. At the time, KRAFT EXECUTIVES BLAMED THE POOR RESULTS ON AMERICAN CONSUMERS' INCREASED HEALTH CONCERNS, which had put the entire packaged food industry under severe pressure to change."

      [Very edited from:
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060131/ap_on_bi_ge/kraft

      *07: Climate Consensus/Frogs, Shoe Nutrition, H2O Concerns
      CONSENSUS GROWS ON CLIMATE CHANGE: (03/01/06): "The global scientific body on climate change will report soon that only greenhouse gas emissions can explain freak weather patterns. Simultaneous changes in sea ice, glaciers, droughts, floods, ecosystems, ocean acidification and wildlife migration are taking place. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change had previously said gases such as CO2 were "probably" to blame. Its latest draft report will be sent to world governments next month. A source told the BBC: "The measurements from the natural world on all parts of the globe have been anomalous over the past decade." There will be sceptics, predominantly in the US, who will accuse the IPCC of trying to scare policy-makers into action with their report. But the broad international expert consensus embodied in the IPCC will make it harder for the US administration to say that climate change is a problem for the future which can be solved by technological advances."

      CLIMATE-CHANGE FUNGUS IS WIPING OUT FROGS – STUDY: (01/12/06): "An infectious fungus aggravated by global warming has killed entire populations of frogs in Central and South America and driven some species to extinction, scientists said on Wednesday. In research that showed the effects of rising temperatures on delicate ecosystems, a team of researchers found that a warming atmosphere encouraged the spread of a fungus that has wiped out species of harlequin frogs and golden toads. "This is the first clear evidence that widespread extinction is taking place because of global warming," Dr Alan Pounds, an ecologist of the Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve in Costa Rica, said in an interview. "Climate change is already altering the dynamics of infectious disease and causing species to disappear." "The frogs are sending an alarm call to all concerned about the future of biodiversity and the need to protect the greatest of all open-access resources - the atmosphere," [other scientists] added.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/34456/story.htm

      [Original study's abstract, etc. from "Nature:"
      http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v439/n7073/abs/nature04246.html

      "NUTRITIONAL LABEL" DETAILING ENVIRONMENTAL AND COMMUNITY IMPACT 1ST OF ITS KIND: (01/26/06): "The Timberland Company today announced a footwear packaging initiative that reduces Timberland's environmental impact and provides consumers with new information to help guide them in the purchase process. The initiative, the first of its kind in the retail industry, will be seen in stores in 2006. Timberland will place a "nutritional label" on each box... [the label] has three sections: The "Manufactured" section gives the name and location of the factory where the product was made. The "Environmental Impact" section reports how much energy is needed to produce Timberland(R) footwear and how much of Timberland's energy is generated from renewable resources... The "Community Impact" section details what percentage of factories are assessed by the company against Code of Conduct standards, the percentage of the workforce that are children and the total number of hours volunteered in the community by Timberland employees. In addition to increasing transparency with this initiative, Timberland is encouraging consumers to take action within their community.

      [Very edited from:
      01/26/2006 http://www.csrwire.com/article.cgi/4944.html

      BOTTLED WATER: POURING RESOURCES DOWN THE DRAIN: (02/02/06): "The global consumption of bottled water reached 154 billion liters (41 billion gallons) in 2004, up 57 percent from the 98 billion liters consumed five years earlier. Even in areas where tap water is safe to drink, demand for bottled water is increasing—producing unnecessary garbage and consuming vast quantities of energy. Although in the industrial world bottled water is often no healthier than tap water, it can cost up to 10,000 times more. At as much as $2.50 per liter ($10 per gallon), bottled water costs more than gasoline.

      In contrast to tap water, which is distributed through an energy-efficient infrastructure, transporting bottled water long distances involves burning massive quantities of fossil fuels. Nearly a quarter of all bottled water crosses national borders to reach consumers, transported by boat, train, and truck. Fossil fuels are also used in the packaging of water. The most commonly used plastic for making water bottles is polyethylene terephthalate (PET), which is derived from crude oil. Making bottles to meet Americans’ demand for bottled water requires more than 1.5 million barrels of oil annually, enough to fuel some 100,000 U.S. cars for a year. Worldwide, some 2.7 million tons of plastic are used to bottle water each year."

      [Very very edited from the detailed and eye-opening article at:
      http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/2006/Update51.htm

      *08: Hippo Love, Bovine Flees, Squids Care, and a Budgie Stitcher
      BOVINE FUGITIVE BECOMES RUNAWAY FAVORITE: (01/08/06): "Early Thursday morning, she was destined to be steak. By Saturday afternoon, the heifer that made a dramatic escape from a Great Falls meat packing plant Thursday was the subject of clemency pleas from across the nation. As a result of her escape efforts and the publicity, she... will be spared from the killing floor, the plant's manager said. Since Friday, there has been an impressive response from people asking that the young cow be spared, said Del Morris, a manager at Mickey's Packing Plant. The black 1,200-pound heifer escaped from the packing plant early Thursday morning and led police, plant workers and animal control officers on a six-hour chase across the city. The cow was nearly run over by a Chevrolet Suburban, a semi and a train; swam across the Missouri River, nearly drowning; and took three tranquilizer darts without going down in her escape attempt.

      For surviving the swim across the Missouri River, Morris said he began calling the heifer "Molly B.," after "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" from the Titanic."

      [Edited from from the longer story with interesting comments at:
      http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060108/NEWS01/601080303/1002

      [Molly B.'s website [no kidding, really...]:"
      http://www.montanamollyb.com/

      BEFRIENDED HIPPO: (01/06/2006): "A baby-hippopotamus that survived the tsumani waves on the Kenyan coast has formed a strong bond with a giant male century-old tortoise, in an animal facility in the port city of Mombasa. The hippopotamus, nicknamed Owen and weighing about 300 kilograms, was swept down Sabaki River into the Indian Ocean, then forced back to shore when tsumani waves struck the Kenyan coast on Dec 26, before wildlife rangers rescued him. "It is incredible. A-less-than-a-year-old hippo has adopted a male tortoise, about a century old, and the tortoise seems to be very happy with being a 'mother'," ecologist Paula Kahumbu said. "After it was swept and lost its mother, the hippo was traumatised. It had to look for something to be a surrogate mother. Fortunately, it landed on the tortoise and established a strong bond. They swim, eat and sleep together," the ecologist added. "The hippo follows the tortoise exactly the way it follows its mother. If somebody approaches the tortoise, the hippo becomes aggressive, as if protecting its biological mother," Kahumbu added."

      [Edited from the article (check out the photo!!) at:
      http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hippo.asp

      DISCOVERY CASTS SQUID MOTHERS IN BETTER LIGHT: (12/24/05): "With their slimy tentacles and big, unblinking eyes, squids have, over the centuries, acquired a bad reputation... The squid has fared little better in the world of science, with researchersconcluding that, unlike octopuses and some fish, squids are inattentive parents, depositing eggs on the seabed and letting them grow or die on their own. But a team of ocean scientists exploring the inky depths of the Monterey Canyon off California has discovered that at least one squid species cares for its young with loving attention, the mother cradling the eggs in her arms for months, waving her tentacles to bathe the eggs in fresh seawater. The scientists [writing in the Dec. 15 issue of Nature] suspect that other species are doting parents, too, and that misperceptions about squid behavior have arisen because the deep is so poorly explored."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3545969.html

      BUDGIE WINS CROSS-STITCHING AWARD: (01/06/06): "A three-year-old budgie [parakeet] has been named Young Cross-Stitcher of the Year. Spike picked up the Cross-Stitcher magazine award after picking up the habit from owner Sandra Battye. Sandra, 31, of Stevenage, Herts, who nursed Spike back to health after a food allergy almost killed her, said: "She would sit on my shoulder and watch me for hours. "One day I just sat and didn't stitch. It seemed to frustrate her. Then suddenly she picked up the needle in her beak and began cross-stitching herself. I was staggered. Now I can't stop her. "She still gets a bit confused at how the patterns work but she is very good at pulling and pushing the needle through the fabric."

      Cross-Stitcher magazine editor Cathy Lewis said: "We were amazed by the photos of Spike."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1673449.html?menu=news.quirkies.animaltales

      *09: 11 Super Foods, Diet/Mental Health, Better BP, Meat/Cancer
      PLANT FOODS LINKED TO BETTER BLOOD PRESSURE: (01/09/06): People who fill up on vegetables, whole grains and fruit tend to have healthier blood pressure levels than their more carnivorous peers, according to an international study published Monday. The findings, say researchers, bolster recommendations that adults eat more plant-based foods for the sake of their cardiovascular health. The study found that among nearly 4,700 middle-aged adults in four countries, those who ate more vegetable protein -- from grains, vegetables, beans and fruit -- tended to have lower blood pressure. Even a small increase in the proportion of calories derived from vegetable protein translated into a dip in blood pressure, according to findings published in the Archives of Internal Medicine. In this study, Elliott [lead author] pointed out, people whose diets favored vegetable protein over animal protein consumed a very different "amino acid mix" than those with diets rich in animal products. This raises the possibility, he said, that the blood pressure benefits are related to certain amino acids found in high amounts in plant foods."

      SOURCE: Archives of Internal Medicine, January 9, 2006.

      [Very edited from:
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060109/hl_nm/diet_bloodpressure_dc

      MENTAL HEALTH LINK TO DIET CHANGE: (01/16/06): "Changes to diet are being linked to a range of mental health problems Changes to diets over the last 50 years may be playing a key role in the rise of mental illness, a study says. Food campaigners Sustain and the Mental Health Foundation say the way food is now produced has altered the balance of key nutrients people consume. The period has also seen the UK population eating less fresh food and more saturated fats and sugars. They say this is leading to depression and memory problems, but food experts say the research is not conclusive. The report, Feeding Minds, pointed out the delicate balance of minerals, vitamins and essential fats consumed had changed in the past five decades. Researchers said the proliferation of industrialised farming had introduced pesticides and altered the body fat composition of animals due to the diet they are now fed. Report researcher Courtney Van de Weyer said: "The good news is that the diet for a healthy mind is the same as the diet for a healthy body. "The bad news is that, unless there is a radical overhaul of food and farming policies there won't be healthy and nutritious foods available in the future for people to eat."

      [Edited from:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4610070.stm

      TRY THESE 11 SUPER FOODS FOR BETTER HEALTH: (01/19/06): "Get 2006 off to the healthiest possible start by putting plenty of the best disease-fighting, energy-boosting, and nutrient-rich foods into your diet every day. Good food is the foundation for good health. Volumes of studies have demonstrated that the phytochemicals, vitamins and minerals in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, legumes and tea can help ward off heart disease, cancer, diabetes, macular degeneration and many other serious illnesses. The following 11 "super foods" are among the world's healthiest and they all can be found at your local supermarket..."

      [Very edited from where you can read the "nutritional why's" of these foods in detail at:
      http://www.star-gazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060119/LIFE/601190310/1035

      RED MEAT CANCER RISK CLUE FOUND: (01/31/06): "Eating lots of red meat is linked with DNA damage which raises the risk of bowel cancer, researchers suggest. Scientists at the MRC Dunn Human Nutrition Unit and the Open University compared red meat and vegetarian diets. Their study, published in Cancer Research, found the red meat diet was associated with a higher level of DNA damage. Previous work suggests regular meat eaters are significantly more likely to develop bowel cancer. Almost 17,000 people die from the disease each year. Last year the Dunn team published a study suggesting the chance of developing the disease was a third higher for people who regularly ate more than two portions per day of cooked red meat compared with those who ate less than one portion per week. In the latest study the same Dunn team examined cells from the lining of the colon taken from healthy volunteers eating different diets. They found higher levels of DNA damage in the cells taken from people eating red meat."

      [Very edited from:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/health/4662934.stm

      1946 AMERICAN MEAT INSTITUTE ADVERTISEMENT:
      http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av138.htm

      *10: Veg MTV, USDA Sued, Proggy Awards, Top 12 Animal Stories
      5TH PRO-VEG COMMERICAL AIRS ON MTV: (02/2006): "Compassion Over Killing (COK) is excited to announce that our fifth pro-vegetarian commercial -- "Choices" -- hits the MTV airwaves this week in 5 cities across the U.S. and will soon be seen in at least a dozen additional cities within the next few weeks. This 30-second ad, which exposes some of the horrors of life on factory farms, empowers MTV's youthful viewers to take a stand against animal cruelty by choosing vegetarian foods.

      [High-bandwidth quicktime verison of commerical:
      http://www.cok.net/videos/choice_dsl.mov

      [Low-bandwidth quicktime verison of commerical:
      http://www.cok.net/videos/choice_56k.mov

      ANIMAL ACTIVIST GROUPS SUE USDA: (02/23/06): "Multiple animal rights groups and DeKalb horse owners filed suite against the U.S. Department of Agriculture to stop them from funding the salaries of horse meat inspectors, adding a new component to the horse slaughtering controversy. Gail Vacca, a local trainer of thoroughbred racehorses, along with the Humane Society of the United States, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty and other organizations, are suing the USDA for not enforcing the preventative measures set forth in House Resolution 503. The bill suspends government financing of horse slaughter plants inspections and places the responsibility on the plants themselves to pay for inspections in an attempt to limit horse slaughtering in the country. "Congress was clear all along the House and Senate debates and repeatedly referred to this legislation as ending horse slaughter," Vacca said. "The USDA and the slaughtering plants are trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the American public.""

      [Edited from:
      http://www.star.niu.edu/articles/?id=20064

      3RD ANNUAL PETA PROGGY AWARDS FOR ANIMAL-FRIENDLY ACHIEVEMENT: (01/2006): "People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is proud to present the third annual Proggy Awards for animal-friendly achievement in 21st century culture and commerce. Proggy Award winners: * Help consumers discover, access, and explore vegan food, animal-friendly fashions, and cruelty-free products * Help raise awareness of the needs, nature, and behaviors of animals * Promote respect and empathy for animals through culture, commerce, and community. PETA's panel of judges has picked the best of the best among animal-friendly innovations and cruelty-free offerings."

      [Edited from:
      http://peta.org/feat/proggy/2005/

      [Full list and summaries of Proggy Winners at:
      http://peta.org/feat/proggy/2005/winners.html

      PACELLE'S DOZEN: THE TOP 12 HSUS ANIMAL STORIES OF 2005: (01/2006): "As the Year of Disasters comes to a close, we asked Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States, to select the top 10 animal stories in which The HSUS played a significant role. He pondered the assignment carefully and...came up with 12 stories instead. It was that kind of year."

      [For the list and expanded details on all top 12 stories and more go to:
      http://www.hsus.org/legislation_laws/wayne_pacelle_the_animal_advocate/wayne_pacelle_dozen_top.html

      *11: Upcoming Events of Note
      GREAT AMERICAN MEATOUT (March 20): "In March, consumer, animal, and environment protection activists in a thousand communities in all 50 states and two dozen other countries will welcome Spring in front of their local fast food outlets. They will offer their neighbors samples of wholesome, convenient, delicious, veggie burgers, soy dogs, and soy "chicken" nuggets. Others will hold a wide gamut of colorful educational events ranging from a Congressional Reception and elaborate Lifestivals to public dinners, cooking demonstrations, exhibits, and information tables called Steakouts. Visitors will be asked to "kick the meat habit on March 20th (first day of Spring) and to explore a wholesome nonviolent plant-based diet." A vigorous billboard and bus card advertising campaign, combined with extensive media coverage, will carry the Meatout message to millions. Nearly 30 governors and mayors are expected to issue Meatout proclamations promoting consumption of vegetables and fruits."

      http://www.meatout.org

      VEGETARIAN AWAKENINGS CONFERENCE (April 3 and 4th):
      http://www.grcc.edu/ShowPage.cfm?PageID=5674&InFrames=true

      SPRING EQUINOX (March 20th, 1:26pm est.):
      http://www.infoplease.com/spot/riteofspring1.html

      MAR 15: Missoula, MT > UM - wholefoodgroup7@...
      MAR 18: Portland, OR > Northwest Veg. info@... 503.224.7380
      MAR 25: San Francisco, CA > Farm Sanctuary - nbowman@...
      MAR 29: Seattle, WA > Pigs Peace Sanctuary - veda@...

      APR 03 - 04: Grand Rapids, MI > Vegetarian Awakening Conference - G. Rapids Community College
      APR 06: Ann Arbor, MI > berniefr@...
      APR 07: Waterloo Ontario, Canada > infoveg@...
      APR 10: Ithaca College, NY > ddunbar1@...
      APR 12: Green Mountain College, VT > browng@...
      APR 28-30: New Living Expo SF, CA > shimamoore@...

      MAY 07: New York, NY > Intergrative Nutrition - Tricia Napor
      MAY 21: Winnipeg,Canada > dbayomi@...
      MAY 25: Calgary, Canada > valfitch@...
      MAY 26: Edmonton, Canada > voa@...
      MAY 31: Kolowna, Canada > tracs@...

      BEYOND MAY 2006:
      JUN 2-4: Vancouver, Canada > losken@...
      JUN 5: Abbottsford, Canada
      JUN 10: Victoria, BC > Canada trevor@...
      JUL 5-9: Johnston, PA > Summerfest
      SEP 30: SF, CA SFVS > dixiemahy@...

      *13: Quick Bytes
      ACTIVISM:

      ["McDonald's Wrong to Use Narnia Film to Sell Unhealthy Food:"
      http://www.pcrm.org/news/commentary122205.html

      ["Report Examines Common Traits Among Successful Health & Wellness Programs:"
      http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-04-2006/0004242260&EDATE

      ["Georgia Animal Rights and Protection:"
      http://www.garpatlanta.org/links.asp

      AGRICULTURE:

      ["Organics Booming: 65% of Americans Tried Organic Foods in 2005:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/booming123105.cfm

      ["Squarefoot Gardening:"
      http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

      ANIMAL ISSUES:

      [For animal issues news, check the always topical and current:
      http://www.animalconcerns.org

      ["What's Really in Pet Food:"
      http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1

      ["Info on veg diets for cats and dogs:"
      http://www.vegepets.info

      ["Vegan Dog Treats:"
      http://www.vegan-delights.com/vegan-dog-treats.html

      ["Factory Farms Root Cause of Bird Flu:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/Birdflu022706.cfm

      ["Flying In The Face Of Nature [Animal Farming]":
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/birdflu/story/0,,1715517,00.html

      ["Great revenge: animal diseases jump to humans:"
      http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-02/21/content_4207031.htm

      ["Chicken dung used to feed fish may help spread bird flu:"
      http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article335356.ece

      ["FDA links deaths of 23 dogs to contaminant in pet food:"
      http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051231/NEWS07/512310369/1009

      ["Official: Dog disease likely culprit in Yellowstone wolf decline:"
      http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/science/20060105-1350-wst-yellowstonewolves.html

      ["Ants have teacher-pupil relationships:"
      http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=217925&cat=Science

      ["Finger-Lickin' Bad:"
      http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2006/02/21/parker/index.html?source=daily

      DIET/HEALTH:

      ["New Year's Resolution: Eat More Rainbows:"
      http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/notmilk/message/2225

      ["FAQ about Trans Fat Nutrition Labeling:"
      http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/FAQ_about_Trans_Fat_Nutrition_Labeling.shtml

      ["Diet changes can help with heartburn, diarrhea:"
      http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/living/food/13497931.htm

      ["An A-to-Z guide to vegetarian meal planning:"
      http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060101/LIFE10/601010328/1006/LIFE

      ["Use the Internet to evaluate your diet:"
      http://www.onthetable.net/diet_eval_tools.html

      ["Kraft Promises to Sell Non-GE Food in China:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/ge/chinakraft123105.cfm

      ["Early low-fat diet improves children's heart health:"
      http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-12/06/content_3882224.htm

      ["Cutting heart risks early could add years to life:"
      http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2006-02-07T152417Z_01_COL755318_RTRUKOC_0_US-CUTTING-RISKS.xml

      ["Whole grains cut diabetes, heart disease risk-study:"
      http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2006-02-07T152413Z_01_N06178036_RTRUKOT_0_TEXT0.xml&related=true

      ["Children's Juices & Sodas Contain Ingredients That Can Form Benzene:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/benzene060301.cfm

      ENVIRONMENT:

      [Superb group of Eco-Info websites:
      http://www.ecologicalinternet.org/

      ["The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil:"
      http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/articles/657

      ["Green diets vs. global warming:"
      http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051226/RTD/51226001

      ["It's better to green your diet than your car:"
      http://www.newscientist.com/channel/earth/mg18825304.800

      ["Co-op America: Ten Things You Should Never Buy Again:"
      http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/shopunshop/unshopping/neverbuy.cfm

      ["Global Ecological Assessment Calls for Humanity to Value Nature :"
      http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jan2006/2006-01-23-10.asp

      ["Interactive Map of Polluters:"
      http://www.x-maps.com/globalwarming/

      ["Pollution and Your Community Scorecard:"
      http://www.scorecard.org/community/index.tcl?

      ["China Forcing World To Rethink Its Economic Future"
      http://www.earthpolicy.org/Books/PB2/index.htm

      ["New Year's Resolutions: Better Your Health and the Planet's:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/resolution.cfm

      NETWORKING/BOGS:

      [VegNews Monthly Newsletter:
      http://www.vegnews.com

      ["Organic Consumers: Read, Blog & Meet-up!:"
      http://organicconsumers.org/chat/index.php

      [FARMUSA's MeatOut Monday Newsletter:
      http://meatoutmondays.org

      [PCRM Membership News and Info:
      Send e-mail to: membership@...

      [Vegetarians In Paradise Newsletter:
      http://www.vegparadise.com

      [International Vegetarian Union Newsletter:
      http://www.ivu.org/news/index.html

      ["In a Vegetarian Kitchen: (Nava Atlas):"
      http://www.vegkitchen.com

      [A delightful, chatty list/group: Feralvegetarians:"
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theferalvegetarian/

      ["The FatFreeVegan Blog:"
      http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

      [The Mad Cowboy Newsletter Editor's Vegan Blog:
      http://www.soulveggie.com

      ["The Vegan Lunch Box Blog (PETA Award-winning, Bloggy Final Nominee:"
      http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com

      ["VegCom | veg'n community... veg and vegan forums:"
      http://www.vegcom.com/

      ["Organic Consumers Read, Blog and Meet-up --- Forum:"
      http://organicconsumers.org/chat/

      ["Karma Kitchen:"
      http://www.karmakitchen.blogspot.com/

      ["International Organization for Animal Protection:"
      http://www.oipa.org/

      ["Raw Vegan Blog and Podcasts:"
      http://www.rawveganradio.blogspot.com/

      NUTRITION:

      ["Barley products can claim heart benefits: FDA:"
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051224/hl_nm/barley_dc

      ["Bananas, root veggies may cut kidney cancer risk:"
      http://paktribune.com/news/index.php?id=129476

      ["Darker Fruits, Vegetables Are Usually Higher In Nutrition:"
      http://www.nbc10.com/health/5735548/detail.html

      ["Finnish study looks at the impact of nutrition on the heart health of children:"
      http://www.newstarget.com/016383.html

      ["Tomatoes and Broccoli together can cure cancer more effectively:"
      http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_902397,00500005.htm

      ["Curry fights prostate cancer, study finds:"
      http://washingtontimes.com/national/20060116-101518-4976r.htm

      ["Carrots and spinach cut macular degeneration:"
      http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1584809,00110002.htm

      ["Apple a day may keep dementia away:"
      http://betterhumans.com/News/5225/Default.aspx

      ["Legumes: The universal image of nurture:"
      http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2006/0215/life/stories/02life.htm

      ["Red Delicious, Northern Spy Apples Have Most Antioxidants, Chemists Find:"
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/05/050523234141.htm

      ["Fruits, Veggies Not as Vitamin-Rich as in Past, Says New Data:"
      http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=1671868

      RECIPES:

      [Over 10,000 veg'n recipe links:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VegRecipes.html

      ["Over 1,000 International (regional) Vegetarian Recipes:"
      http://www.ivu.org/recipes/regions.html

      [PCRM Recipe Archives:
      http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/recipe_archive.html

      VEGAN:

      ["Excellent Vegetarian Information Sheets:"
      http://www.compassionatecooks.com/join.htm

      ["Top 10 Reasons Not to Eat Pigs:"
      http://www.goveg.com/f-top10pigs.asp

      ["ecosneak - 100% recycled rubber soles:"
      http://shoeswithsouls.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ECOSNEAKS%20(MEN)%20BK

      *14: Closing Thoughts
      "The health benefits of plants foods know no limit... The more scientists look, the more impressive data they develop concerning the array of health benefits conferred by fruits, nuts, seeds, beans, whole grains, and vegetables. It's pretty safe to say that science will never be able to delineate fully all the miraculous ways that the plants we ingest work to keep us alive and well.

      Yet never will you read a story about chicken helping you prevent one disease or another. Not a single news item will appear anywhere about chuck steak or meatballs aiding any of your organs to function. Roast beef offers no benefit that any scientist can find (and don't think that the meat industry hasn't been paying them to look)... The only medical reports you will hear about animal foods concern their dangers... The bad news about animal foods never ends."

      --- Howard Lyman (in "No More Bull!" pp. 40 - 41)