02_01_05: Howard's Review, Spot the Vegan, Laddermills, & Lab Stressed

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      Howdy! Welcome to the 45th edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter.

      We've a special treat this issue. Howard's written a long review of Dr.
      Campbell's new book "The China Study." Howard has known Dr. Campbell
      personally for many years and believes this is an important publication at
      a significant time.

      Reading along, you'll find a bunch of articles in "Mad Cow Round-up" about
      the 2nd and 3rd cases of Mad Cow Disease in Canada, the ramifications, the
      debate, Mad Cow-type disease found in a goat, and how cows with
      inflammations may harbor prions (precursors to Mad Cow Disease) in
      unexpected organs.

      Further on down there's information about Global Warming potentially being
      twice what was original thought, how corporations are attempting to change
      the science, a detailed article by Dr. Pimenthal about the very serious
      water issues in this country that we need to face up to, and then there's
      that former academic who's turned an entire city into a social experiment
      -- a successful one.

      Don't miss the "Spot the Vegan" campaign, a new online animal rights
      peer-reviewed journal, greyhound racing in the West is officially over, new
      study on animal lab stress, how Fructose is being pushed out of products,
      the Japanese diet and cancer, making plastic with oranges, and the
      incredible "Laddermill" concept. In "Quick Bytes" you'll find some extra
      Vegan Valentine's Day recipes, about Ingrid Newkirk's new book: "Making
      Kind Choices," concerns about cell phones, Veganic Farming, John Stauber on
      the current state of the Mad Cow Crisis, Wm. Safire on the origin of the
      word "Vegan," and other useful sites.

      Finally, there's also a link in this issue to a preview of Howard's
      tentative schedule for his Fall Tour (promoting his long-awaited
      soon-to-be-released Documentary). More dates and locations will be added.

      ...and as always, a nod of the hat to our New Subscribers. Y'all can read
      past copies of the Newsletter (searchable, too) at:

      Best wishes for everyone in this New Year!

      Stay warm and active..... Mark (and Happy Vegan Valentine's Day!)

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Review: "The China Study" is all thumbs up!" by Howard
      02: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      03: Oily Denials, City Tests, Earth Warms 2X, Water Warning
      04: Fructose Pushed, Asian Diet/Oil/Cancer, Thinner on Veggies
      05: Spot the Vegan, Dog Boots, Manure Burns, Mad Cap Disease
      06: Animals/Quakes, New Journal, Greyhounds Gone, Lab Stress
      07: Germany Shines, Oily Bus, Orange Plastics, the Laddermill
      08: Howard's Schedule
      09: Quick Bytes
      10: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Review: "The China Study" is all thumbs up!" by Howard
      "Human nutrition is one of the most important and least understood parts of
      our existence. We are bombarded every day with slick slogans that we come
      to believe are facts. Public relation campaigns that state, "Milk. It does
      a body good," and, "Pork, the other white meat" are transformed from
      advertising pitch to nutritional gospel. We neglect the daily need to
      replenish our nutritional building blocks and expect health miracles from
      the medical profession in the form of a pill. The picture of our nation
      shows a portrait that is less than flattering. Heart disease, cancer,
      obesity and diabetes are almost the norm rather than the exception. We
      have come to expect life-threatening events at earlier ages in each
      generation. We have reached the point where children are affected with
      adult onset diabetes in their teens. In past generations this was unknown.

      With health problems becoming epidemic, it is no surprise that we are
      inundated with a rash of books proclaiming perfect health programs. They
      offer easy answers, claiming that if we largely follow our same, misguided
      dietary path we can correct our sickly condition by eliminating foods we
      didn't care for in the first place. These feast diets of meat and dairy
      products appeal to the unwary. Their siren song sells many books at the
      expense of our future health. The majority of the feel-good health and
      diet books today are written by folks with very limited credentials.

      The China Study is setting a new standard. Dr. T. Colin Campbell directed
      the largest nutritional study in the world, "The China Project," called the
      "Cadillac of health studies" by The New York Times. Dr. Campbell is one of
      the world's brightest stars in human nutrition and his unequaled body of
      work is finally being shared with a society in desperate need of his advice.

      Both Colin and myself share a common background. We were both raised on
      rural family farms and studied agriculture in college. We were raised
      with the values of hard work, love of animals, and deep respect for the
      environment. The most sacred value we shared was the respect of truth and
      standing up for what you believed even when it went against the grain of
      popular perception. This commitment has caused both of us to be
      considered turncoats in the industry where we spent the majority of our
      careers. I went from a large scale cattle feeder with thousands of head of
      cattle, to a vegan, eating no animal products and speaking in public about
      the hazards of factory farm agriculture. In this capacity I appeared on
      The Oprah Show telling a trusting nation that we were feeding cows back to
      cows. This revelation caused both Oprah and myself to spend six years in
      court defending ourselves against a food disparagement suit by a group of
      Texas cattlemen.

      Colin caused a similar firestorm when he released the findings of the China
      Study. He was a tenured professor at Cornell University with strong ties
      to agriculture. He is a son of the soil and his study caused the entire
      animal production industry to be viewed in a new light. The industry could
      not rely on it's time tested response,"you just don't understand
      agriculture."

      Colin did understand agriculture. He stated the facts that showed what was
      being recommended for the American diet was wrong. When you can't deny the
      facts the next best thing to do is to degrade the messenger. Both Colin
      and myself have had to withstand these attacks repeatedly from the
      industry and their hired hands. Animal protein and its devastating impact
      on your health is one of the best kept secrets in the world today. Dr.
      Campbell shows, with no-holds barred scientific truth, the correct human
      diet.

      This is straight talk from one of the most qualified nutritional experts in
      the world at a time when we need it the most. Dr. Campbell reveals the
      path he followed from his own family farm in rural Virginia to the
      laboratories of Cornell University. His pursuit of the facts unveils the
      health solution we are all looking for today. I marvel at the amount of
      human suffering that could have been avoided in my family when I was
      growing up if this information had been available. Let's hope it isn't too
      late for our future generations."

      --- Howard Lyman, 01/15/05

      [For more information on Dr. Campbell's book:
      http://www.thechinastudy.com

      [You can hear an excerpt from Howard's DVD "A Mad Cow Lecture" discussing
      his first meeting with Dr. Campbell at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCLMedia.html

      LAST WEEK'S MIND-BENDER:

      "Approximately how many animals (not including fish) are slaughtered each
      year in the United States for food: (a) 1,000,000 (b) 10,000,000 (c)
      100,000,000 (d) 1,000,000,000 (e) 10,000,000,000 (f) 100,000,000,000?"

      Congratulations to Robin Hartman, in Blackbird, Delaware, for correctly
      guessing (e) 10,000,000,000 (that's 10 billion).

      [You can find a PDF summary of the dismal stats at:
      http://www.wfad.org

      THIS WEEK'S MAD COWBOY VEGAN MIND-BENDER:
      "The total human population of the Earth in 2005 is projected to be what:
      (a) 800,000,000 (b) 6,400,000,000 (c) 64,000,000,000 (d) 80,000,000,000
      (e) 9,500,000,000?"

      Please e-mail guesses to: webmaster@... with the word "contest"
      in your subject line by NLT February 14th, 2005.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the
      correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you
      can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *02: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      U.S. TO LIFT MAD COW BAN ON CANADA CATTLE IMPORTS: (12/29/05): "Cattle
      exports from Canada to the U.S. -- banned in May 2003 because of mad cow
      disease -- will resume as early as March under a rule unveiled today by the
      U.S. Department of Agriculture. The rule will allow Canada to export cattle
      under 30 months of age, the department said in an e-mailed statement. The
      rule, which will take effect on March 7, will also place Canada on a list
      of nations with minimal risk of mad cow disease. Canada exported 1.7
      million head of cattle to the U.S. in 2002, or about 4.7 percent of the
      annual slaughter.

      "We are confident that imports of certain commodities from regions of
      minimal risk can occur with virtually no risk to human or animal health,''
      Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman told reporters in a teleconference from
      Washington. The glut of cattle in Canada has depressed slaughter prices in
      that country, eroding Canadian farm incomes. Canada's cattle inventory rose
      to a record 16.8 million head at midyear, up 6.5 percent from a year
      earlier, Statistics Canada said in November after surveying 18,000 farmers."

      [Edited from:
      http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000006&sid=aMvku9a2Yw4g&refer=home

      MAD COW DISEASE MAY BE HERE TO STAY: (12/31/04): "Michael Hansen, a
      scientist with the U.S. Consumers Union, says it appears the United States
      and Canada have made a common decision that a small number of BSE cases are
      acceptable. "Normally when any country reports a single case of BSE the
      U.S. would stop all imports. That's what the global rules of the game are.
      You would think they would take more precautions not less." Hansen said
      the U.S. commitment to label Canada a "minimal risk" country even if
      another case is confirmed does not reflect the criteria of the World
      Organization for Animal Health commonly known by its French acronym OIE.

      "They (U.S. officials) do not have a scientific rationale for opening the
      border." Hansen said there are still major loopholes in the U.S. and
      Canadian precautions with respect to mad cow disease. Hansen also noted
      that Canadian regulations permit calves to be weaned on whole blood even
      though it has been demonstrated the disease can be spread through blood."

      [Very edited from:
      http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/12/31/803576-cp.html

      CANADA CONFIRMS SECOND MAD COW CASE: (01/02/05): "...final laboratory test
      has confirmed an Alberta dairy cow had mad cow disease, the second case
      Canada has found in its herd, an industry source briefed by veterinary
      officials said on Sunday. "It is positive," the industry source told
      Reuters after a briefing from the agency. The animal did not enter the
      human food or animal feed supply and there was no risk to the public.

      The most recent afflicted animal was born in October 1996, the industry
      source said. "You've now got a grouping of three animals born very close
      together in time," the source said, adding the agency was investigating
      whether the animals shared a common contaminated feed source."

      [Edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=580&e=1&u=/nm/20050102/bs_nm/mad
      cow_canada_dc

      BEEF GIANTS & USDA PREVENT SMALL SLAUGHTERHOUSES FROM TESTING FOR MAD COW
      DISEASE: (01/02/05): "Three days before Christmas, this town's largest
      employer, Creekstone Farms, laid off 150 of its 800 workers. And
      Creekstone officials say the cutbacks might have been avoided if the
      federal government had simply allowed the company to do additional testing
      it wanted to do on its meat to prove to the Japanese that they needn't
      worry about getting mad cow disease by eating it. About 40 percent of
      Creekstone's sales were to Japan. But the U.S. Department of Agriculture
      has denied the small company in an industry dominated by giants what most
      businesses take for granted: the freedom to do the best they can to satisfy
      their customers. It also is stopping the company from doing what Kansas
      economic development officials have long said is key to salvaging the
      state's rural economy from decline: adding value to agriculture products.

      "If Creekstone Farms tested its animals (in the manner the company wants),
      that would create pressure for the big boys to do the same and they don't
      want that," [Professor] Stull said. Four companies -- Tyson, Smithfield,
      Swift & Co., and Excel Corp. -- control 80 percent of the U.S. meatpacking
      industry, Stull said.""

      [Very edited from the very detailed and well-written article at:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/preventtesting010305.cfm

      USDA'S VENEMAN SEES CANADA CATTLE TRADE RESUMING: (01/04/05): "U.S.
      Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman on Tuesday said she did not foresee a
      scenario that would stop imports of Canadian cattle resuming on March 7 as
      planned. "It would be hard for me to envision at this point the process not
      moving forward as has been announced," Veneman said in remarks to
      reporters.

      "We believe that the rule is based upon good analysis, sound science and a
      thorough risk analysis," Venetian told reporters after addressing a
      celebration of the U.S. Forest Service's 100th anniversary. R-CALF USA has
      said it is considering a lawsuit to stop the border opening, claiming the
      expanded trade could threaten U.S. consumers and American cattle herds.'

      [Very edited from:
      http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050104/2005-01-04T154138Z_01_N04415580_RTRIDS
      T_0_NEWS-MADCOW-TRADE-USDA-DC.html

      COW FROM DISEASED CANADIAN ANIMAL'S HERD TRACED TO U.S.: (01/07/05):
      "Government officials were trying today to trace a cow shipped to the
      United States from the same Canadian herd as an animal infected with mad
      cow disease, yet officials said it was unlikely the imported cow had been
      infected. The infected dairy cow was 8 years old and from Alberta. It was
      born in the same herd, within one year, of a cow shipped to the United
      States in February 2002 for immediate slaughter, the Agriculture Department
      said.

      In Canada, investigators identified 93 dairy and 48 beef animals that were
      born in the year before through the year after the infected cow was
      delivered in October 1996. Investigators are trying to trace all 141
      animals, including the one shipped to the United States."

      [Edited from:
      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002145048_webcow07.html

      CANADA CONFIRMS THIRD CASE OF MAD COW DISEASE: (01/11/05): "Canada said it
      found a third case of mad cow disease, a discovery that may threaten a U.S.
      plan to reopen its border to imports of Canadian cattle. Canada's Food
      Inspection Agency said the infected animal was born in March 1998, after
      the U.S. and Canada banned cattle feed containing the ground-up parts of
      other ruminants, which is how scientists say the disease is spread. That
      raises questions about the efficacy of the feed ban, a key measure taken by
      the two governments to prevent mad cow infections. The infection was found
      in an Alberta beef cow, as part of the government mad cow surveillance
      program, the agency said. No tissue from the infected animal reached the
      human food chain, it said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000082&sid=aydTPlJuTC3A&refer=canada

      CONSUMERS UNION: U.S. & CANADA ARE NOT DOING ENOUGH TO STOP SPREAD OF MAD
      COW DISEASE: (01/11/05): "This latest case of mad cow highlights that
      dangerous loopholes in both countries' laws still exist," says Michael
      Hansen, PhD, a scientist with Consumers Union, publisher of Consumer
      Reports and advisor to its www.NotinMyFood.org campaign. "In the United
      States, for example, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) still allows
      cattle remains to be fed to other animals, such as pigs, and chickens,
      whose remains can then be fed back to cows. Even the remains of an animal
      known to carry a form of mad cow disease could go into rendered feed, under
      current FDA rules," Hansen added. CFIA conducted a study that confirmed
      that over two-thirds of Canadian animal feed and almost half of imported
      animal feed labeled as "vegetarian" contained animal materials."

      [Edited from the article with recommendations from Hansen at:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/notenough011305.cfm

      MAD COW HERD MEMBERS TRACED TO U.S.: (01/19/05): "Government officials
      are now tracing six cows shipped into the United States from the same
      Canadian herd as an animal with mad cow disease. The infected dairy cow
      was born within one year of the others. Agriculture Department spokesman Ed
      Loyd said Wednesday that the agency is tracking their movements. The
      Agriculture Department is sending nine inspectors to Canada next week in
      response to the newest case, Loyd said. Unlike the other cases, that animal
      was born after Canada banned the use of cattle remains in feed, which is
      how the brain-wasting disease is thought to spread. Outgoing Agriculture
      Secretary Ann Veneman reiterated Wednesday that the decision to lift the
      ban is on track. Veneman said there is no reason to change the decision,
      unless further investigation reveals the justification was flawed.

      She made similar comments January 12, saying, "At this point, everything
      that we've put in place remains on track.""

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/01/19/madcow.ap/

      INFLAMMATION LETS PRIONS INVADE "SAFE" TISSUE: (01/20/05): "Inflammation
      can cause the deformed proteins that cause prion diseases, such as BSE, to
      invade organs that normally resist infection. If the new research holds
      true for cattle, it could mean that some organs previously thought to be
      safe to eat are not - with significant implications for BSE testing
      programmes. Previous screening tests have shown the prions that cause BSE
      are found only in specific organs, such as the brain and intestines. "So
      the assumption has been that other parts are safe to eat," says Adriano
      Aguzzi, at the University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland, who led the new
      research.

      "People in countries with BSE still eat steak because the authorities say
      if you stay away from the brain and lymphoid tissue, you should be safe,"
      he told New Scientist. However, the experiments to find out where BSE
      prions lurk in cattle incubating the disease have been done in otherwise
      healthy animals, he says: "If you have a sick cow, these rules may no
      longer apply." The US and UK agencies responsible for BSE testing say the
      findings do not warrant any immediate changes to existing regulations, but
      say they plan to review the new research in depth."

      Journal reference: Science (DOI: 10.1126/science.1106460)

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6907

      MAD COW DISEASE FOUND IN FRENCH GOAT, EU SAYS: (01/28/05): "Mad cow
      disease has been found in a goat, the first time the brain-wasting
      affliction that ravaged European cattle herds and killed at least 100
      people has been diagnosed in another animal, the EU said on Friday. "A
      suspected case of BSE in a goat slaughtered in France in 2002 has been
      confirmed today by a panel of European scientists," the EU Commission said
      in a statement. Scientists initially thought the animal, born in 2000, had
      scrapie, a brain-wasting disease from the same family as bovine spongiform
      encephalopathy (BSE), the formal name for mad cow disease. "Precautionary
      measures to protect consumers from this eventuality have been applied in
      the EU for several years ... any possible risk to consumers is minimal,"
      the Commission said.

      "I want to reassure consumers that existing safety measures in the EU offer
      a very high level of protection," EU Health and Consumer Protection
      Commissioner Markos Kyprianou said. The testing program has shown us that
      there is a very low incidence rate of TSEs in goats and allowed us to
      detect suspect animals so that they can be taken out of the food chain, as
      was done with this goat and its entire herd.""

      [Edited from:
      http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050128/2005-01-28T144633Z_01_L28455849_RTRIDS
      T_0_NEWS-MADCOW-EU-DC.html

      *03: Oily Denials, City Tests, Earth Warms 2X, Water Warning
      GLOBAL WARMING IS 'TWICE AS BAD AS PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT': (01/27/05):
      "Global warming might be twice as catastrophic as previously thought,
      flooding settlements on the British coast and turning the interior into an
      unrecognisable tropical landscape, the world's biggest study of climate
      change shows. Researchers from some of Britain's leading universities used
      computer modelling to predict that under the "worst-case" scenario, London
      would be under water and winters banished to history as average
      temperatures in the UK soar up to 20C higher than at present.

      The new study, in the journal Nature, was done using the spare computing
      time of 95,000 people from 150 countries who downloaded from the internet
      the global climate model of the Met Office's Hadley Centre for Climate
      Prediction and Research. The program, run as a screensaver, simulated what
      would happen if carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere were double those
      of the 18th century, before the Industrial Revolution, the situation
      predicted by the middle of this century."

      [Very edited from:
      http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=604955

      [See also: "Countdown to Global Catastrophe:"
      http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=603975

      OIL FIRMS FUND CLIMATE CHANGE 'DENIAL': (01/27/05): "Lobby groups funded
      by the US oil industry are targeting Britain in a bid to play down the
      threat of climate change and derail action to cut greenhouse gas emissions,
      leading scientists have warned. Bob May, president of the Royal Society,
      says that "a lobby of professional sceptics who opposed action to tackle
      climate change" is turning its attention to Britain because of its high
      profile in the debate. Writing in the Life section of today's Guardian,
      Professor May says the government's decision to make global warming a focus
      of its G8 presidency has made it a target. So has the high profile of its
      chief scientific adviser, David King, who described climate change as a
      bigger threat than terrorism.

      Prof May's warning coincides with a meeting of climate change sceptics
      today at the Royal Institution in London organised by a British group, the
      Scientific Alliance, which has links to US oil company ExxonMobil through a
      collaboration with a US institute. Last month the Scientific Alliance
      published a joint report with the George C Marshall Institute in Washington
      that claimed to "undermine" climate change claims. The Marshall institute
      received £51,000 from ExxonMobil for its "global climate change programme"
      in 2003 and an undisclosed sum this month."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/science/story/0,12996,1399585,00.html

      STUDY URGES WATER CONSERVATION ON FARMS: (01/10/05): "A growing population
      coupled with diminishing fresh water supplies should force major changes in
      the way the world's farmers water their crops in the coming decades, a
      recent study recommends. Since agriculture uses about 70 percent of the
      world's fresh water every year, farming should be the focus of intense
      conservation efforts, said David Pimentel, a professor at Cornell
      University and primary author of the study published in the October issue
      of the journal BioScience.

      "We in the U.S. waste a lot of water in contrast to other people," Pimentel
      said. "Agriculture is going to have to give up water as the population
      grows. States like California, Colorado, Texas and Nebraska are going to
      have to make some major changes." The study said farmers should use
      water-conserving irrigation methods combined with water and soil
      conservation practices to minimize run-off. The study also suggests
      governments eliminate water subsidies to farmers to encourage more
      efficient water use, work to reduce water pollution and protect forests and
      wetlands.

      Pimentel suggests consumers can help reduce water usage by buying locally
      produced crops instead of those grown far away and by switching the types
      of foods they eat. For the Northeast, that means eating cabbage instead of
      lettuce grown in California or choosing chicken and pork over beef. It
      takes 3,500 liters of water to produce one kilogram of chicken, but 43,000
      liters for the same amount of beef, he said. Rice needs about 1,600 liters
      of water per kilogram, but corn requires just 650 liters.

      "There are lots of things individuals can do to change food habits," he said.

      [Very very edited from the superb article at:
      http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2005/01/10/study_urges_water_conserv
      ation_on_farms/

      ACADEMIC TURNS CITY INTO A SOCIAL EXPERIMENT: (03/11/04): "Antanas Mockus
      had just resigned from the top job of Colombian National University. A
      mathematician and philosopher, Mockus looked around for another big
      challenge and found it: to be in charge of, as he describes it, "a 6.5
      million person classroom." Mockus, who had no political experience, ran
      for mayor of Bogotá; he was successful mainly because people in Colombia's
      capital city saw him as an honest guy. With an educator's inventiveness,
      Mockus turned Bogotá into a social experiment just as the city was choked
      with violence, lawless traffic, corruption, and gangs of street children
      who mugged and stole. It was a city perceived by some to be on the verge of
      chaos.

      The fact that he was seen as an unusual leader gave the new mayor the
      opportunity to try extraordinary things, such as hiring 420 mimes to
      control traffic in Bogotá's chaotic and dangerous streets. When there was
      a water shortage, Mockus appeared on TV programs taking a shower and
      turning off the water as he soaped, asking his fellow citizens to do the
      same. In just two months people were using 14 percent less water, a savings
      that increased when people realized how much money they were also saving
      because of economic incentives approved by Mockus; water use is now 40
      percent less than before the shortage."

      [Very edited from the extremely long, but still fascinating article at:
      http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/03.11/01-mockus.html

      *04: Fructose Pushed, Asian Diet/Oil/Cancer, Thinner on Veggies
      CONSUMERS PUSH NATURAL RETAILERS TO REMOVE PRODUCTS WITH FRUCTOSE CORN
      SYRUP: (12/01/04): "Just as a handful of committed voters can influence
      an election, a small group of retailers can influence manufacturers'
      policy. Recently, two natural foods chains persuaded manufacturers to alter
      their products so they would no longer contain high fructose corn syrup.
      Many products use HFCS as a cheap, shelf-stable sweetener, but recent
      studies have suggested that it may be at least partly to blame for the
      rapidly increasing girth of Americans. For some retailers, that's all they
      needed to know. In July, North Carolina-based Earth Fare, a chain of nine
      natural foods stores, announced it would no longer carry any products
      containing the ubiquitous but highly controversial sweetener. Likewise, the
      Boulder, Colo.-based Wild Oats said that while it had not yet banned the
      ingredient, its private-label products did not use it and the chain was
      hoping to influence other brands to find alternative ingredients or risk
      having their products removed."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/fructose012505.cfm

      HELP WARD OFF CANCER WITH A JAPANESE DIET: (12/17/04): "There are many
      differences between Japanese and American diets that may explain why cancer
      incidence in Japan is far lower than in the United States. But one
      difference may be overlooked: The Japanese consume about five times the
      amount of cruciferous vegetables as Americans do. The most common
      cruciferous vegetables are those from the cabbage family: cabbage,
      broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Chinese cabbage, cauliflower, kale and
      watercress. However, even some root veggies, like radishes, parsnips,
      turnips, rutabaga and kohlrabi, fall in this category. Cruciferous
      vegetables make a unique contribution to good health. They contain natural
      substances called glucosinolates that break down in the body to form
      indoles and other compounds that fight cancer development in several
      different ways.

      Population studies link an increased consumption of cruciferous vegetables
      with a lower risk for a variety of cancers."

      [Very edited from the article with tips on cooking cruciferous veggies:
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6724128/

      DOES EATING VEGETABLES KEEP YOU THIN?: (01/02/05): "Although there is
      still much work to be done, the data are coming in: Vegetarians are
      significantly slimmer than meat eaters. On average, vegetarian men weigh
      nearly 17 pounds less and vegetarians, according 7 pounds less than
      nonvegetarians, according to a a major analysis of multiple studies by Joan
      Sabat, MD, chair of the department of nutrition at Loma Linda University in
      California and editor of the book Vegetarian Nutrition. And vegans are the
      sleekest of all, according to a recent British study of 38,000 meat eaters,
      fish eaters, vegetarians and vegans. The research, published in June 2003
      in the International Journal of Obesity, found that vegans have
      significantly lower body mass indexes (BMIs)-a measure of weight relative
      to height-than meat eaters; fish eaters and vegetarians fall somewhere in
      between."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=115668

      OLIVE OIL CUTS CANCER RISK: (01/10/05): "The Mediterranean diet, which
      includes olive oil, vegetables and pasta, has long been considered
      beneficial to health, particularly heart health. However scientists now
      claim to have discovered why this diet also appears to protect women from
      breast cancer. According to the researchers, the answer lies in olive oil,
      or more specifically, one of the ingredients of olive oil - oleic acid.
      Lead researcher, Dr Javier Menedez of Chicago's Northwestern University,
      warned that while the results in the laboratory were promising, they may
      not translate into effective treatment for patients. However he added that
      the findings 'underpin epidemiological studies that show that the
      Mediterranean diet has significant protective effects against cancer, heart
      disease and ageing'."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.irishhealth.com/?level=4&id=6791

      *05: Spot the Vegan, Dog Boots, Manure Burns, Mad Cap Disease
      MAD CAP DISEASE ANIMATION: (12/31/03 rerun):
      http://www.markfiore.com/animation/cow.html

      SPOT THE VEGAN!: (12/09/04): "A new viral marketing campaign has been
      launched by the Vegan Society to promote the benefits of adopting a vegan
      lifestyle. Called "Spot the Vegan," the campaign, created by Limone Media,
      invites users to choose between six healthy-looking individuals to work out
      which one is a vegan. The twist is the answer, which is that all of them
      are vegans. Each picture appears with a profile about the person and ends
      with the question: "Want to look this healthy?"

      [Edited from:
      http://www.brandrepublic.com/digitalbulletin/news_story.cfm?articleID=230050&Ori
      gin=DB09122004

      [Check it out:
      http://www.spotthevegan.co.uk/

      POLICE DOGS GET BOOTS: (01/25/05): "A police force has issued its dogs
      with boots - to protect their paws. Northumbria Police is the first in
      Britain to use the £31 Bark 'n Boots reports The Sun. Pc Alex McLeod said:
      "There have been times when dogs could not be used because they would be at
      risk of injury. "And at burglary premises there is often glass on the floor
      - but now the dog can safely be used in the search."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1252215.html?menu=news.quirkies.animaltales

      MASSIVE COW MANURE MOUND BURNS FOR THIRD MONTH: (01/28/05):
      "...Dickinson, who makes his living in the cattle business, has an
      environmental problem on his hands that is vexing state officials: a
      2,000-ton pile of burning cow manure. Dickinson owns and manages Midwest
      Feeding Co. about 20 miles west of Lincoln, which takes in as many as
      12,000 cows at a time from farmers and ranchers and fattens them for market.

      The Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality has informed Dickinson
      that his smoldering dung pile violates clean-air laws and is working with
      him to find the best solution to extinguish it, said agency spokesman Rich
      Webster. Simply dumping water on the heap is not the answer, Webster said,
      because of concerns about runoff to any nearby water source. Dickinson
      acknowledged that while some folks see the humor in his predicament, he
      takes the fire seriously. "It's a nuisance, and obviously we are trying to
      get it resolved," he said. "Everybody's been really patient."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/28/cow.fire.ap/

      *06: Animals/Quakes, New Journal, Greyhounds Gone, Lab Stress
      DID ANIMALS HAVE QUAKE WARNING?: (12/31/04): "A Cambodian mahout and his
      elephant Do wild animals have a sixth sense? Wildlife officials in Sri
      Lanka have reported that, despite the loss of human life in the Asian
      disaster, there have been no recorded animal deaths. Waves from the worst
      tsunami in memory sent floodwater surging up to 3.5km (two miles) inland to
      the island's biggest wildlife reserve. Many tourists drowned but, to the
      surprise of officials, no dead animals have been found.

      Debbie Marter, who works on a wild tiger conservation programme on the
      Indonesian island of Sumatra, one of the worst-hit areas in Sunday's
      disaster, said she was not surprised to hear there were no dead animals.
      "Wild animals in particular are extremely sensitive...They've got extremely
      good hearing and they will probably have heard this flood coming in the
      distance," Debbie Marter Conservationist ,"Wild animals in particular are
      extremely sensitive," she said. "They've got extremely good hearing and
      they will probably have heard this flood coming in the distance. "There
      would have been vibration and there may also have been changes in the air
      pressure which will have alerted animals and made them move to wherever
      they felt safer.""

      [Edited from:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4136485.stm

      ANIMAL EXPERIMENTS MORE STRESSFUL THAN PREVIOUSLY RECOGNIZED: (11/18/04):
      "Mice, rabbits, rats, beagles, geese, and other animals all show measurable
      physiological stress responses to routine laboratory procedures that have
      been up until now viewed as relatively benign. The findings come in a new
      report published in Contemporary Topics in Laboratory Animal Science, based
      on an extensive review of the scientific literature by ethologist Jonathan
      Balcombe, Ph.D., of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM).
      These symptoms can persist for up to an hour after each event. Immune
      response is also affected. In rats and mice, the growth of tumors is
      strongly influenced by how much the animals are handled. Dr. Balcombe's
      paper will appear in the journal's Autumn 2004 issue, expected in late
      November.

      "Research on tumor development, immune function, endocrine and
      cardiovascular disorders, neoplasms, developmental defects, and
      psychological phenomena are particularly vulnerable to data being
      contaminated by animals' stress effects," notes Dr. Balcombe."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.pcrm.org/news/release041118.html

      OREGON GREYHOUND TRACK TOO SLOW FOR OWNERS TO KEEP: (01/21/05): "Each May,
      for more than 70 years now, Multnomah Greyhound Park has opened its doors
      for greyhound racing, but this spring, the track will resemble a ghost
      town. The thundering sound of hundreds of pounds of muscle in pursuit of a
      lure will be only a memory. Perhaps the track itself will be only a memory.
      Magna Entertainment Corp., owner of numerous horse tracks across the
      country, decided in December not to renew its lease at Multnomah, located
      outside Portland. A five-year contract prevents any other group from racing
      dogs at the facility. And because Multnomah was the only live racing track
      in Oregon (both California and Washington have banned greyhound racing),
      animal advocates are cheering. Greyhound racing appears to have rounded the
      final bend on the West Coast.

      "The good news here is that in spite of why Magna chose to shut down
      Multnomah, dozens of dogs were saved from a miserable existence," says
      Kelly Connolly, issues specialist for companion animals at The HSUS."

      [Very edited from from the interesting article at:
      http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_related_news_and_events/oregon_greyhound_track.htm

      THE ANIMAL LIBERATION PHILOSOPHY AND POLICY JOURNAL ONLINE: (New) "The
      journal was established for the purpose of fostering an animal liberation
      philosophy and related policy field of academic study. This is an
      interdisciplinary journal with an emphasis on animal liberation. This
      journal was designed to build up the common activist's knowledge of animal
      liberation while at the same time appealing to academic specialists to
      address the important topic of animal liberation. We encourage and actively
      pursue a diversity of viewpoints of contributors from the frontlines of
      activism to academics. We have created the journal for the purpose of
      facilitating communication between the many diverse perspectives of the
      animal rights movement. Thus, we especially encourage submissions that seek
      to create new syntheses between differing disputing parties and to explore
      paradigms not currently examined. The Animal Liberation Philosophy and
      Policy Journal is open to all scholars and activists. While the research
      and perspectives will differ, the editing of the pieces will be
      peer-reviewed for quality and originality. We encourage and actively pursue
      a diversity of viewpoints and topics."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cala-online.org/Journal/Journal.html

      *07: Germany Shines, Oily Bus, Orange Plastics, the Laddermill
      GERMANY SHINES A BEAM ON THE FUTURE OF ENERGY: (12/20/04): "A solar-power
      project built by a Berkeley company may point Germany toward a
      pollution-free future. Set in the heart of Bavarian farmland, the 30-acre
      facility went online earlier this month, becoming the biggest solar energy
      plant in the world. For the government of Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder,
      the Muhlhausen solar farm represents a gamble that Germany, the world's
      third biggest economy, can replace its principal energy sources -- coal,
      natural gas, oil and nuclear power -- with clean, safe and renewable
      alternatives.

      The country is now the No. 1 world producer of wind energy, with more than
      16,000 windmills generating 39 percent of the world total, and it is fast
      closing in on Japan for the lead in solar power. Wind and solar energy
      together provide more than 10 percent of the nation's electricity, a rate
      that is expected to double by 2020. It has become a profitable business,
      too, with about 60,000 people employed in the design and manufacture of
      wind and solar energy equipment."

      [Very edited from the cool article discussing pros, cons, history at:
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/12/20/MNGRAAEL4B1.DTL

      BUS BOUND FOR COSTA RICA RUNS ON USED COOKING OIL: (12/13/04): "The
      Sustainable Solutions Caravan wants to show the world how to recyle more
      and create less waste. Itai Hauben, Tom Shaver and Stephen Brooks pour
      used vegetable oil into a 1972 modified diesel Carpenter school bus they
      are driving to Costa Rica. The oil was given to them by El Charro Cafe.

      "The engine in the bus has been modified to run on used straight vegetable
      oil," said Zak Zaidman, 36, one of the 10 members of the Sustainable
      Solutions Caravan traveling on the bus from its summer home in the San
      Francisco Bay area to winter quarters in Costa Rica in Central America.
      The group was founded last year to promote sustainability through the use
      of renewable energies, organic farming and sustainable lifestyles, he
      explained. That means less waste and more recycling. The group also
      promotes Earth-friendly farming, which will be critical if the fuels of the
      future are to be grown rather than mined. The destination of the caravan
      is Punta Mona Center for Sustainable Living and Education, an 85-acre
      organic farm and education retreat in Costa Rica, he said. For more
      information, go to puntamona.org.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.php?page=local&story_id=121304a4_caravanwart

      [The Sustainable Solutions Caravan website:
      http://caravan.thefractal.org/modules/wfchannel/index.php?pagenum=2

      PLASTICS MADE FROM ORANGE PEEL AND A GREENHOUSE GAS: (01/17/05): "A
      Cornell University research group has made a sweet and environmentally
      beneficial discovery -- how to make plastics from citrus fruits, such as
      oranges, and carbon dioxide. In a paper published in a recent issue of the
      Journal of the American Chemical Society (Sept. 2004), Geoffrey Coates, a
      Cornell professor of chemistry and chemical biology, and his graduate
      students Chris Byrne and Scott Allen describe a way to make polymers using
      limonene oxide and carbon dioxide, with the help of a novel "helper
      molecule" -- a catalyst developed in the researchers' laboratory. Limonene
      is a carbon-based compound produced in more than 300 plant species. In
      oranges it makes up about 95 percent of the oil in the peel.

      The Coates laboratory comprises 18 chemists, about half of them striving to
      make recyclable and biodegradable materials out of cheap, readily available
      and environmentally friendly building blocks. "Today we use things once and
      throw them away because plastics are cheap and abundant. It won't be like
      that in the future," says Coates. "At some point we will look back and say,
      'Wow, remember when we would take plastic containers and just throw them
      away?'"

      [Edited from:
      http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Jan05/Orangeplastic.deb.html

      A NOVEL CONCEPT TO EXPLOIT THE ENERGY IN THE AIRSPACE : (01/05): "There is
      an enormous amount of energy hidden in the winds over our heads. At an
      altitude of 30,000 feet, the wind energy is twenty times as large as at sea
      level. The laddermill is a new and novel idea to harness this immense
      energy resource.

      The laddermill consists of a large number of kites on an upward and
      downward motion. The kites used are of a breed between regular kites and
      airplanes. The kites used in the laddermill, generally called "kiteplanes",
      combine the ascension characteristics of kites with the descension
      characteristics of aircraft. By creating a large loop of kiteplanes
      ascending and descending, a rotation can be created. In turn, this rotation
      can be coupled to a generator to create energy. The loop of kiteplanes can
      ultimately go up to 30.000 feet, which would generate approximately 100MW."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.lr.tudelft.nl/asset/webpage/en/laddermill.php

      [The Laddermill Website:
      http://www.laddermill.com/

      Feb 11: Ellensburg,WA > Hal Homes Community Center, 5:30 pm, MurrayC@...

      Feb 22: Los Angeles, CA > 12:00 pm, Chapman Law School,
      jeffpetersen@...

      March 3: Athens, Ohio > Ohio University Ballroom, 7-10pm - Athens Animal
      Rights Coalition. aarcou@...

      March 17: New York City, NY > NYC JivamuktiYoga Center, asanan@...

      March 23: Gainesville, FL > University of Florida, feinberg@...

      April 9: Alexandria, VA > 3 pm to 6 pm, SDA Health Conference,
      Ajlegalplan@...

      April 23: Salt Lake City, Utah > jasonh@...

      June 29-July 3: Johnstown, PA > NAVS (North American Vegetarian Society)

      July 7-11: Los Angeles, CA > AR2005

      [For more information and a tenative list of a major tour by Howard in the
      Fall:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *09: Quick Bytes
      AGRICULTURE:

      ["Veganic Gardening:"
      http://www.vegansociety.com/html/people/lifestyle/home_and_garden/veganic_garden
      ing.php

      ["Veganics: Organics with a Vegan Touch"
      http://www.friendsofanimals.org/actionline/fall-2004/veganics.html

      ["Vegan-Organic Trust"

      http://www.veganorganic.net/index.htm
      ["Outgrowing the Earth: The Food Security Challenge"
      http://www.earth-policy.org/Books/Out/Contents.htm

      ["Many San Joaquin Farmers Ahead Of Schedule With Pollution Plans"
      http://www.eenews.net/Greenwire/include/print.php?single=12220409

      ["White House Slashes Farm Conservation Programs:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/OFGU/slash123004.cfm

      ANIMAL ISSUES:

      [Ingrid Newkirks New Book: "Making Kind Choices:"

      [Grassroots Animal Rights Conference 2005:
      http://www.grassrootsar.org/

      ["Britain Cracks Down on Animal Activists' Tactics:"
      http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050131/full/050131-3.html

      [Wild horse activists, lawmakers join forces to Ban Slaughter:
      http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1305656&secid=1

      DIET/HEALTH:

      [Fattest U.S. Cities 2005:
      http://www.mensfitness.com/rankings/304

      ["Global High Blood-pressure Rates Set To Soar:"
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6822525/

      ["Diet Guru Ornish Sees Growing Nutrition Concensus:"
      http://www.freep.com/features/living/ornish23d_20050123.htm

      ["Judge Refuses To Dismiss Delray Man's Suit Against Atkins Empire:"
      http://www.bocaratonnews.com/index.php?src=news&category=Local%20News&prid=10606

      ["One Million U.S. Teens Have Heart-Disease Risk, Report Says:"
      http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=axPXMmM4F8k4&refer=us

      ["Curry May Keep Alzheimer's at Bay:"
      http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=115036

      ["Mobile Phone Radiation Harms Dna, New Study Finds:"
      http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2004-12-21-mobilerads_x.htm

      ["Mobile Phones Tumour Risk To Young Children:"

      ENVIRONMENT:

      ["World Population Grew By 76 Million People In 2004:"
      http://www.earth-policy.org/Indicators/Pop/2004.htm

      ["Chemicals in a PC:"
      http://www.svtc.org/hightech_prod/desktop.htm

      ["Bush Judicial Nominees Could Shake The Foundations Of Environmental Law"
      http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/21059/

      ["Child Cancers Linked To Pollutants:"
      http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=655341

      ["Winter Road Salt's Impact on Mountain Lakes Studied:"
      http://www.adelphia.net/news/read.php?id=11637611&ps=scitech&cat=&cps=0

      MAD COW DISEASE-RELATED:

      [John Stauber on the recent Canadian Mad Cow discoveries:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/stauber010605.cfm

      ["Lip Implant Tissue Link With Mad Cow Disease:"

      NETWORKING:

      [FARMUSA's MeatOut Monday Newsletter:
      http://meatoutmondays.org

      [PCRM Membership News and Info:
      Send e-mail to: membership@...

      [Vegetarians In Paradise Newsletter:
      http://www.vegparadise.com

      [International Vegetarian Union Newsletter:
      http://www.ivu.org/news/index.html

      ["Seeds of Deception" GM-related Newsletter:
      http://www.seedsofdeception.com/newsletter-Oct1_2004.php

      [Spanish Animal Issues Newsletter:
      http://www.animanturalis.com

      RECIPES:

      [Over 10,000 veg'n recipe links:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VegRecipes.html

      [Some Valentine's Day Vegan Recipes by Bryanna:
      http://www.veg.ca/newsletr/janfeb96/val_recipes.html

      [16 Vegan Valentine's Day recipes:
      http://vegweb.com/recipes/events/index-valentines.shtml

      [Animal Aid's really cool vegan recipes (some for Valentine's Day):
      http://www.animalaid.org.uk/campaign/vegan/cookbook01.htm

      [Vegan Street's Vegan Vantine's Dinner Recipes and Much More:
      http://www.veganstreet.com/veganliving/recipes.html

      [VRG's Vegan Valentine's Recipes for One or Two:
      http://www.vrg.org/press/2002valentine.htm

      [Healthy Vegan Banana Bread:
      http://recipecircus.com/recipes/wiccadwoman/VEGETARIAN/Healthy_Vegan_Banana_Brea
      d_.html

      [Buncha Fat Free Vegan Holiday Recipes:
      http://www.fatfreevegan.com/holiday/index.shtml

      [277 vegan recipes for your Apple iPod!!
      http://www.enriquequinterodesign.com/podgourmetve.html

      VEG'N-RELATED:

      ["Vegan: Plant A Word, Watch It Grow" by William Safire NY Times!!
      http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/01/30/features/saf31.html

      ["Vegan bed and breakfast in Virginia wins national awards:"
      http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/virginia/dp-va--thewhitepig0124jan24,0,6529
      686.story?coll=dp-headlines-virginia

      ["Me... A Vegetarian?!? The 5 Great Reasons To Go Meatless:"
      http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm/cmi_363414/cid_6

      *10: Closing Thought(s)
      "I read the news just last night and learned that the administration's
      friends at the international policy network, which is supported by
      ExxonMobil and others of like mind, have issued a new report that climate
      change is "a myth, sea levels are not rising," [and] scientists who believe
      catastrophe is possible are "an embarrassment."

      I see the future looking back at me from those photographs [of my
      grandchildren] and I say, "Father, forgive us, for we know not what we do."
      And then I am stopped short by the thought: "That's not right. We do know
      what we are doing. We are stealing their future. Betraying their trust.
      Despoiling their world."

      And I ask myself: Why? Is it because we don't care? Because we are greedy?
      Because we have lost our capacity for outrage, our ability to sustain
      indignation at injustice?

      What has happened to our moral imagination?

      On the heath Lear asks Gloucester: "How do you see the world?" And
      Gloucester, who is blind, answers: "I see it feelingly.'"

      I see it feelingly.

      The news is not good these days. I can tell you, though, that as a
      journalist I know the news is never the end of the story. The news can be
      the truth that sets us free - not only to feel but to fight for the future
      we want. And the will to fight is the antidote to despair, the cure for
      cynicism, and the answer to those faces looking back at me from those
      photographs on my desk. What we need to match the science of human health
      is what the ancient Israelites called "hochma" - the science of the heart
      ... the capacity to see ... to feel ... and then to act ... as if the
      future depended on you.

      Believe me, it does."

      --- Bill Moyers (heavily edited from a great talk he gave recently on
      "Battlefield Earth" at http://www.alternet.org/story/20666