10_29_04: 3Happy Vegan Halloween, Smart Fish, DVD Audio Excerpts

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2004
      Howdy! Welcome to the 42nd Edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter!

      As a special treat, we've posted some new audio excerpts from Howard's DVD
      (links below), and for those of you who missed it last year:

      http://www.madcowboy.cojm/HHalloween.011.JPG

      In this issue there's a bunch of vegan halloween links for recipes, vegan
      candy, and safety advice. There's also information about why you should
      drink more cocoa, eat more brocolli/spinach/and citrus, and realize that
      some fish may be smarter than some dogs. You'll also learn about the 1st
      environmentalist to win a Nobel Peace Prize, that a new movie is planned
      about Ms. Butterfly Hill, about a landmark study showing that organic
      farming increases biodiversity, and have access to a list of 21 reasons why
      Industrial Agriculture isn't a great idea.

      Reading onwards, among many articles, you might be surprised about dogs
      being able to diagnose cancer, vegetables doing Shakesphere, potato
      plastic, a new survey of over 100,000 students that show some 25% of them
      want vegan meals in their cafeterias, and major concern about the number of
      birds and amphibians that are disappearing.

      As always, a nod of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all can read past
      issues of the newsletter at:

      Finally, don't forget to check out the "Quick Bytes" section for links to
      information about vegan/vegetarian diet phrases when you travel, PETA's new
      sheep campaign and "I can't believe it's vegan" product page, recipes, and
      much much more.

      Here's wishing everybody a safe and Happy Halloween!

      And don't forget to vote...... you CAN make a difference.

      Best to all, Mark

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quotes of Note
      01: New Audio Excerpts from Howard's DVDs Posted
      03: Vegan Halloween Recipes and Information
      04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      05: Drink Hot Cocoa, Eat More Broccoli/Spinach/Salad & Citrus
      06: Eco-film/Nobel, Organic=biodiversity, No Industry Agric.: 21 Reasons
      07: Dogs Sniff Out Cancer, Veggies Do Odeipus, Spud & Air Cars
      08: Students Want Vegan, Veg & Meat Sales Up, New McVeggie Burger
      09: Smart Fish, Birds & Amphibians in Trouble, Humans are Hybrids
      10: Howard's Schedule
      11: Quick Bytes
      12: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Quotes of Note
      "...if we're going to work for a more viable future, we have to start with
      things like getting involved. We need to start with our voice. We need to
      travel and talk. We need to go and do what we can do, even if it is
      getting sued, like what happened to me on the Oprah show. Remember on that
      show a few million people saw the show, but after we were sued, hundreds of
      millions of people knew about it. We need to stand up for what we know is
      right. We need to tell the truth. We need to go out and do the things
      that are necessary because we do not have the best government that we could
      have because we are not all involved.

      Say to yourself right now, am I doing those things that I can do? Am I
      educating myself? Am I doing all of the things that I could be doing? Am
      I standing up for what is right? Are we making sure that our politics
      today is representing the bible? Or do we have politics today that is
      representing greed? The future is up to you."

      -- Howard Lyman (in "Politics" on the Earth Talk 2003 Interactive DVD)

      [EarthTalk DVD Info:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VVFprods.002.html

      *01: New Audio Excerpts from Howard's DVDs Posted
      [Three new audio excerpts (two different sizes each, MP3) from the
      interactive DVD: "A Mad Cowboy Lecture" have been posted at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCLMedia.html

      (Howard gives a new meaning to the phrase "finger-lickin'good," talks about
      Dr. T. Colin Campbell/dioxin/death of Howard's brother, and what he
      recommends people eliminate from their diet first.)

      [Four new audio excerpts (two different sizes each, MP3) from the
      interactive DVD: "EarthTalk 2003 - Environmental Lectures with Howard
      Lyman" have been posted at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/ETMedia.html

      (Thoughts & statistics from "Politics, Recycling, Transportation, & Urban
      Waste)

      LAST WEEK'S MIND-BENDER:
      "Approximately, how many lambs does it take to make one standard-sized
      coat?" (closest answer wins)

      Congratulations to Cheryl Snyder, of Depew, NY. She on the luck of the
      draw. This was a trick question! There are many possible answers
      depending upon the type of lamb, and other factors. On the high end, some
      estimates say as many as 40 lambs. All those who submitted an answer were
      entered into the random selection pool!

      THIS WEEK'S MAD COWBOY VEGAN MIND-BENDER:
      "Of the following materials, which takes the longest time to decompose in
      the ocean: plastic, glass, or cloth?"

      Please e-mail guesses to: webmaster@... with the word "contest"
      in your subject line by NLT November 10th, 2004.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the
      correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you
      can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *03: Vegan Halloween Recipes and Information
      [ADVICE FOR PARENTS FOR A VEGAN HALLOWEEN:
      http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-children/vegan-halloween.htm

      [HALLOWEEN TIPS ON PROTECTING YOUR PETS:
      http://vetmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/aa100600a.htm?terms=jack+o+lantern

      [GOV'T HALLOWEEN PRODUCTS SAFETY ALERTS:
      http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/hallow.html

      [PETA: ELVIRA'S ADVICE ON VEGAN CANDY:
      http://www.peta.org/feat/halloween01/

      [PETA's LIST OF VEGAN CANDY:
      http://www.petakids.com/candy.html

      [RECIPES FOR A VEGAN HALLOWEEN PARTY - VEGETARIANS IN PARADISE:
      http://www.vegparadise.com/cookingwith510.html

      [VEGAN HALLOWEEN RECIPES FROM VEGWEB:
      http://vegweb.com/food/events/index-halloween.shtml

      [31 VEGAN HALLOWEEN RECIPES:
      http://www.recipezaar.com/r/269/168

      [BRYANNA'S VEGAN HALLOWEEN RECIPIES PART 1:
      http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/594864.htm#part1

      [BRYANNA'S VEGAN HALLOWEEN RECIPIES PART 2:
      http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/594864.htm#part2

      *04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      MAD DEER DISEASE--AN ALARMING HAZARD FOR AMERICA'S 12 MILLION DEER HUNTERS:
      (09/21/04): "In northern Colorado, Gary Wolfe keeps a keen eye on the deer
      he hunts, closely watching for signs they are infected. Wolfe, who runs the
      Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance, a coalition of hunting and conservation
      groups, worries that CWD (as the disease is known) could destroy mule deer
      populations and wreak havoc among herds. "There's some real important
      reasons for stopping this," he says.

      But unlike mad cow, chronic wasting disease infects species that remain a
      minor source of food for Americans, and there are notable scientific
      differences between the diseases. Unanswered questions linger about all
      prion diseases, including scrapie in sheep and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in
      humans. Even more than mad cow, chronic wasting disease remains what
      Jeffrey Ver Steeg, wildlife programs coordinator for the Colorado Division
      of Wildlife, calls "a huge mystery."

      The federal Centers for Disease Control concluded in June that the lack of
      definitive cases suggests "the risk, if any, of transmission of CWD to
      humans is low." At the same time, the CDC acknowledged several puzzling
      cases of patients who died of neurological diseases after eating wild game.

      [Very edited from the extensive article at:
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ID/5463499/

      6,000 BRITONS TOLD THEY MAY HAVE MAD COW DISEASE: (09/22/04): "1000s of
      haemophiliacs and other patients were yesterday told they may have caught
      the human form of mad cow disease through infected blood plasma products.
      About 6,000 people with bleeding disorders were warned not to donate blood,
      tissue or organs and to tell doctors and dentists if they undergo any
      treatment because of the risk they had contracted the incurable and fatal
      variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD). Around 120 people in Scotland are
      being informed.

      Government health officials insisted there was only a "small increased
      risk" of contracting vCJD compared to people who ate beef during the 1980s.
      The letters from health officials were sent out after a risk assessment of
      blood-derived products was carried out following the first possible
      fatality as a result of contracting vCJD through a transfusion of blood,
      which was announced in December last year."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/sixthou092704.cfm

      [See also:
      http://w3.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/story.asp?StoryID=61916

      WARNINGS SENT TO EMORY BRAIN PATIENTS: (10/01/04): "Emory University
      officials sent warning letters to more than 500 surgery patients at the
      school's medical center after a brain surgery patient tested positive for a
      fatal disease similar to the human version of mad cow disease [CJD].
      Chances of infection are very low, said Dr. William Bornstein, chief
      quality officer for Emory Healthcare. "By using modern sterilization, this
      has never been transmitted," he said.

      Standard sterilization procedures require surgical instruments to be
      sterilized for four minutes. World Health Organization guidelines recommend
      surgical instruments for CJD patients to remain in the autoclave for 18
      minutes."

      [Edited from:
      http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Living/ap20041001_1791.html

      JAPAN REFUSING U.S. BEEF UNTIL WHITE HOUSE AGREES TO STRICTER SAFETY RULES:
      (09/22/04): "Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said on Wednesday
      that he and U.S. President George W. Bush "see eye to eye" on the need for
      a quick resumption of their bilateral beef trade, but Japan wants more mad
      cow safety studies. Japan suspended its imports of U.S. beef, amounting to
      $1.4 billion a year, last December following the discovery of a case of mad
      cow disease in Washington state. Until then, Japan had been the biggest
      importer of U.S. beef.

      "We do see eye-to-eye that beef trade should be resumed as soon as
      possible," Koizumi told reporters. But there is the question of the safety
      of the meat, he said, as U.S. and Japanese views "remain somewhat apart" on
      the need for additional safety studies. Koizumi, speaking on the sidelines
      of a U.N. General Assembly meeting, said the United States and Japan would
      continue consultations on the safety issue, which he said was important to
      Japanese consumers and "the people of the whole world.""

      More recently, Japan indicated a willingness to exempt cattle 20 months and
      younger from mad cow tests, which potentially could open Japan to a vast
      segment of U.S. beef. But a U.S. industry source on Tuesday said there
      were logistical problems in setting a 20-month testing standard, including
      the difficulty in tracking cattle organs to be sold to Japan once they are
      separated from the carcass.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/japan092304.cfm

      JAPAN TO ACCEPT US BEEF AGAIN: (10/24/04): "U.S. beef exports to Japan
      are to resume soon under an agreement reached yesterday to ease a 10-month
      ban on the meat prompted by a case of mad cow disease in Washington state.
      Japan is to allow beef imports from cattle younger than 20 months, U.S.
      Agriculture Undersecretary J.B. Penn said in Tokyo after three days of
      negotiations. Full beef trade may resume after a review in July, he said.
      U.S. officials are going to South Korea and Taiwan today for negotiations
      on reopening those markets."

      [Very edited from:
      http://scoop.agonist.org/story/2004/10/23/21052/997

      JAPAN CONFIRMS 13TH MAD COW DISEASE CASE: (09/22/04): "Japan confirmed its
      13th case of mad cow disease Wednesday after a slaughtered Holstein tested
      positive for the brain-wasting illness, a government food safety official
      said. The 8-year-old dairy cow in Nara prefecture, or state, was found to
      have the illness after an exam given by a state-run infectious disease
      research institute in Tokyo, said Seiichiro Minese of the Nara food safety
      office. The cow's meat and organs had not gone on the market and officials
      said the meat processing center in western Japan where it was dismembered
      will be thoroughly disinfected.

      The cow is the 13th to test positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy,
      or BSE (news - web sites), in the country since 2001, when Tokyo began
      checking every cow that was killed before it entered the food supply."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/japan092304.cfm

      PROPOSAL AIMED AT REDUCING MAD COW RISK: (09/22/04): "The government is
      taking steps to reduce the already minimal risk of mad-cow tainted
      components ending up in childhood vaccines and other medications.
      Pharmaceuticals regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, including
      human vaccines and animal drugs used on farms, routinely use cow products
      in their manufacture. The agency this summer strengthened safety measures
      to reduce the chance of mad cow-tainted cow parts winding up in such
      consumer goods as lipstick and hairspray. William Egan, FDA acting
      director in the office of vaccine research and review, told pharmaceutical
      representatives on Tuesday that the new rule is aimed at reducing even
      further mad cow risk in human and animal drugs. He did not offer specifics.

      "It's under development. That's all I can say," Egan said during a
      conference co-sponsored by PDA, an association of scientists involved in
      drug development and manufacture.""

      [Edited from:
      http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/politics/9727665.htm

      BSE-INFECTED COW MAY HAVE GOTTEN INTO ANIMAL FEED: (10/02/04): "The
      diseased cow that sparked Canada's mad cow crisis in May 2003 was turned
      into feed and may have been mistakenly fed to other cows, CBC News has
      learned. Documents obtained through Access to Information show the Canadian
      Food Inspection Agency had discovered cattle at a number of farms were
      eating feed intended only for pigs and chickens. That feed may have
      contained the rendered remains of the diseased cow. In response to the CBC
      report, the federal agriculture minister said rules banning the use of cow
      brain, eyes and backbone in all animal feed would soon be published. Those
      parts are called specified risk materials, because they could carry BSE.

      One lobby group argued changes must come now. "The only way to stop the
      transmission is to stop recycling animal protein into herbivores," said
      Mike McBain, of the Canadian Health Coalition. "And the [food inspection
      agency] has refused to do that because it's waiting for the signal from
      industry instead of intervening and telling industry what to do," said
      McBain.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/10/01/bse_041001.html

      AN ESTIMATED 261 CATTLE HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED THIS YEAR: (10/11/04):
      "Cattle that had not been tested for BSE were allowed to slip into the
      human food chain, a study has concluded. The Food Standards Agency
      launched an inquiry in June after it emerged that some sick and injured
      animals had not been subjected to proper checks. However, the report
      published on Monday, suggests that the risk of contracting BSE from these
      animals was "very low". The alarm was raised last year by the Meat Hygiene
      Service (MHS), a body which enforces inspection and welfare regulations in
      slaughterhouses. It found that two so-called "casualty cattle" - sick or
      injured animals - had not been tested at a plant in Scotland. More cases
      were detected in April this year."

      AMI: THE CATTLE INDUSTRY IN NORTH AMERICA IS ALREADY INTEGRATED:
      (10/19/04): "The cattle industry in North America is already integrated,
      AMI [American Meat Institute] president J. Patrick Boyle says: Once the
      toothpaste leaves the tube, as the saying goes, there's no amount of
      wishful thinking or heavy-handed coercion that's going to force it back in.
      This is also true for the evolutionary, and revolutionary changes that have
      taken place over the last 20 years in trade harmonization and agricultural
      practices between the United States and Canada. Differences in a vision for
      the future were recently highlighted in a sharply worded attack by the
      Ranchers- Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, concerning remarks made by the
      American Meat Institute's new chairman Bill Buckner, who simply
      acknowledged a trend that has been happening between the U.S. and Canada
      for generations. In a speech at AMI's National Convention, Buckner said
      that he "will encourage parties to begin thinking as the integrated
      industry that we are: The North American meat industry."

      [Very condensed from the long guest editorial at:
      http://www.meatnews.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Article&artNum=8390

      VCJD CASE SPARKS FEARS OVER BEEF: (10/24/04): "The case of the man being
      treated at a Dublin Hospital for a suspected case of variant CJD has
      sparked fears over Irish beef. According to media reports, the Republic`s
      Department of Health have confirmed that the man never had a blood
      transfusion or operation, meaning that infected meat would be the most
      likely cause. Variant CJD is the human form of BSE or mad cow disease.
      Tests are being carried out on the man and if they prove to be positive,
      the impact on Ireland`s beef industry could be huge. While the disease has
      been found Irish cattle herds, this would be the first indigeneous case as
      it is believed the man has not lived in Britain."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.utvlive.com/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=52005&pt=n

      MAD COW DISEASE A FODDER FOR CAPSULE INDUSTRY: (10/24/04): "One man's
      poison is not just another man's meat, but also his bread and butter! Or so
      it seems for the Indian capsules industry, where the fear of "mad cow"
      disease stalking global markets has increased demand for vegetarian and
      "BSE/TSE free" capsules. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy' (BSE),
      popularly known as the mad cow disease, had in the past put the fear of
      food in the European markets.

      The empty hard shell of a capsule used in the pharmaceutical and
      food-supplements industry is largely made of gelatin got from cow bones and
      skin. "When companies make a new drug application in the US market, they
      have to give details on the source of the gelatine. The capsule supplier
      also has to give a certificate stating adherence to the World Health
      Organisation standards in this regard," said an official with Associated
      Capsules.

      "India is perceived as being BSE-free. So an opportunity has emerged in
      Europe and the US for BSE/ TSE-free capsules. Vegetarian capsules, from
      plant sources, also have an opportunity, but they are five times the cost
      of a gelatin capsule," he said. Bharti Healthcare expects to clock exports
      of 35 per cent of production, this year, Mr Mittal told Business Line.
      Bharti is scaling-up production to five billion capsules per annum.
      Industry estimates put the global market for gelatine capsules in excess of
      230 billion. The US market is estimated at 70 billion capsules.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2004/10/25/stories/2004102501990100.htm

      ONE COW, HUNDREDS OF USES: (01/04/04): "Gel capsules often are made from
      bovine gelatin. Bars of soap probably come from processed cow tallow, which
      is solid fat. Asphalt roads may contain bovine fatty acids. Cars and trucks
      may ply those roads on rubber tires made with cow oils. Even wars can
      depend on cows. The explosive nitroglycerine is manufactured from
      glycerine, which is extracted from cow fat. Cattle byproducts, simply put,
      are one of the glues that hold together the industrialized world. The
      discovery of a Washington Holstein with mad cow disease turned the
      spotlight on the world of beef cattle, brains, spinal cords and meat. The
      discovery also pointed to a largely unseen world in which cattle parts turn
      into chicken feed, mayonnaise and sex hormones -- and the potential that
      byproducts from an infected cow might transmit bovine spongiform
      encephalopathy to humans. Federal authorities insist that is not a
      significant risk.

      Only about half of a beef cow ends up in the meat case, according to the
      National Renderers Association. The castoffs from beef production -- 35
      million cattle slaughtered annually -- would quickly overflow the nation's
      landfills if they weren't rendered and recycled."

      [Very very edited from the comprehensive article at:
      http://www.oregonlive.com/special/madcow/index.ssf?/special/oregonian/madcow/040
      104_one.html

      *05: Drink Hot Cocoa, Eat More Broccoli/Spinach/Salad & Citrus
      HOT COCOA TOPS RED WINE AND TEA IN ANTIOXIDANTS: (11/03/04): "Researchers
      at Cornell University have shown that the popular winter beverage contains
      more antioxidants per cup than a similar serving of red wine or tea and may
      be a healthier choice. The study adds to growing evidence of the health
      benefits of cocoa and points to a tasty alternative in the quest to
      maintain a diet rich in healthy antioxidants, chemicals that have been
      shown to fight cancer, heart disease and aging, the researchers say. Their
      study, which they say is the most complete comparison to date of the total
      antioxidant content of these three popular beverages, will appear in the
      Dec. 3 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a
      peer-reviewed journal of the American Chemical Society, the world's largest
      scientific society.

      ...the researchers showed that, on a per serving basis, the antioxidant
      concentration in cocoa was the highest: It was almost 2 times stronger than
      red wine, 2-3 times stronger than green tea, and 4-5 times stronger than
      that of black tea. Although you can enjoy cocoa either hot or cold, the hot
      version tends to trigger the release of more antioxidants than its cold
      counterpart, the researcher says."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/11/031106051159.htm

      [Press Release:
      http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Nov03/HotCocoa-Lee.bpf.html

      [Some Vegan Hot Chocolate/Coca Recipes:
      http://www.vegblog.org/recipes/2
      http://www.superchick.com/recipes/hotchoc.html
      http://www.vegsource.com/talk/holidays/messages/1331.html
      (also see: "Vegetarians In Paradise" Halloween recipes in Quick Bytes below)

      EATING CITRUS FRUITS, SPINACH KEEPS YOUNG WOMENS BP AT BAY: (10/12/04):
      "A new research presented at the American Heart Association's 58th Annual
      High Blood Pressure Research Conference showed that young women who consume
      more than 800 micrograms of folate per day can reduce their risk of
      developing high blood pressure by almost a third compared to those who
      consume less than 200 micrograms a day. Folate is a B-vitamin found in
      citrus fruits, tomatoes, leafy green vegetables such as spinach and romaine
      lettuce, and grain products.

      Researchers studied more than 150,000 women to determine if there was a
      link between risk of high blood pressure and their level of folate intake,
      including supplements. They studied two age groups, women in the age group
      of 26-46 years old, and 43-70, and found most dramatic effects among the
      younger group."

      [Edited from:
      http://news.newkerala.com/india-news/?action=fullnews&id=36115

      BROCCOLI COMPOUND ARRESTS BREAST CANCER CELL GROWTH: (09/09/04): "In
      findings that could make broccoli and Brussels sprouts easier to swallow,
      early research suggests a chemical found in the vegetables may impede the
      spread of breast cancer cells. Scientists found that the compound, called
      sulforaphane, hindered the growth of human breast cancer cells in the lab.
      It did so by apparently disrupting the action of protein 'microtubules'
      within the cells, which are vital for the success of cell division. The
      findings are published in the Journal of Nutrition.

      Much remains to be learned about the chemicals in plant foods, [co-author]
      Singletary noted, and scientists generally believe that it's important to
      get the full complement of nutrients and chemicals in these foods. "Most
      people would recommend eating a variety of whole vegetables and fruits," he
      said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6193959

      [Study: Nutr. 134:2229-2236, September 2004
      http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/134/9/2229

      EATING A SALAD OR TWO MAKES YOU EAT LESS: (10/05/04): "People who order a
      low-calorie salad, or two, before they start to eat their main course meal
      usually eat less, which might translate into weight loss for people seeking
      to lose a few pounds. Researchers found that when people were served three
      cups of salad, containing about 100 calories, they ate 12 percent fewer
      calories, compared to people who didn't eat a salad. Lead study author,
      Dr. Barbara J. Rolls, indicated eating low-calorie, but filling foods like
      fruits and salads reduces the total amount of food people eat the rest of
      the meal. However, Dr. Rolls noted, the effect was only found when people
      ate a low-calorie starter. When people ate a 400 calorie salad with a
      high-fat dressing, they actually ate 17 percent more during the entire
      meal."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.healthtalk.ca/salad_eat_less_10042004_3857.php

      [Study: October 2004 * Volume 104 * Number 10
      http://www.adajournal.org

      *06: Eco-film/Nobel, Organic=biodiversity, No Industry Agric.: 21 Reasons
      ECO-ACTIVIST'S TALE HEADED TO BIG SCREEN: (10/06/04): 'Eco-activist Julia
      Butterfly Hill's nonfiction book "The Legacy of Luna" is headed for the big
      screen, and the film's producers plan to make the feature on an
      ecology-conscious set. Baldwin Entertainment Group, the company behind the
      upcoming Ray Charles biopic "Ray," starring Jamie Foxx, has acquired Hill's
      book to develop into a true-life feature film. The tome, which will be
      adapted for the screen by David Ward, centers on Hill's two-year stint
      living in a tree she called Luna in an attempt to thwart Pacific Lumber's
      plans to destroy a forest of California redwoods. In December 1997, Hill
      climbed the tree and refused to come down, hoping to bring attention to her
      cause and save the forest. She came down 738 days later, after reaching an
      agreement that provided permanent protection for the tree and a buffer zone
      around it. Her book is described as part diary, part treatise and part New
      Age spiritual journey.

      For the upcoming feature, company topper Howard Baldwin said the producers
      plan to film on a very green set. "We want to show than an ecology-minded
      production is doable. We hope it will start a trend in the film industry by
      encouraging others to follow suit," Baldwin said.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/27532/story.htm

      KENYAN ECO-ACTIVIST WANGARI MAATHAI WINS NOBEL PEACE PRIZE: (10/08/04):
      "...Wangari Maathai, the Kenyan environmental activist and
      biologist-turned-deputy environment minister, will receive the world's most
      prestigious award -- the first time the Peace Prize has been awarded to
      honor work in the environmental field. Maathai will now receive the wide
      recognition she deserves for fighting to protect Kenya's forests from
      corruption and degradation. In 1977, Maathai founded the Green Belt
      Movement, which planted 30 million trees across the country, in the process
      employing thousands of women and offering them empowerment, education, and
      even family planning. This grassroots movement had a broader impact than
      more traditional "environmental" movements. GBM focused on empowerment
      through the environment, which led Maathai to clash with Kenya's ruling
      elites.

      Awarding the Nobel Peace Prize to an environmental activist may raise some
      eyebrows. But Maathai is on the front lines of the struggle over natural
      resources that fuels conflicts across the world. Maathai told Norway's TV2,
      "When natural resources get scarce, wars are started. If we improve the
      management of our natural resources, we help promote peace."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2004/10/08/dabelko-maathai/?source=daily

      [Another award she won mentioned at:

      ORGANIC FARMING BOOSTS BIODIVERSITY: (10/11/04): "Organic farming
      increases biodiversity at every level of the food chain - all the way from
      lowly bacteria to mammals. This is the conclusion of the largest review
      ever done of studies from around the world comparing organic and
      conventional agriculture. Previous studies have shown that organic farming
      methods can benefit the wildlife around farms. But "the fact that the
      message is similar all the way up the food chain is new information", says
      agricultural scientist Martin Entz of the University of Manitoba in
      Winnipeg, Canada.

      According to the researchers, organic farming aids biodiversity by using
      fewer pesticides and inorganic fertilisers, and by adopting
      wildlife-friendly management of habitats where there are no crops,
      including strategies such as not weeding close to hedges, and by mixing
      arable and livestock farming. Mixed farming particularly benefits some
      bird species. Lapwings, for example, nest on spring-sown crops, but raise
      their chicks on pasture. Intensive agriculture has been blamed for the 80%
      decline in lapwing numbers in England and Wales since the 1960s. One of the
      reviewed studies from the UK also points to benefits for bats. Foraging
      activity was up 84% on organic farms and two species, the greater and
      lesser horseshoe bats, were found only on organic farms."

      [Journal reference: Biological Conservation (vol 122, p 113)

      21 REASONS WHY WE NEED TO ABOLISH INDUSTRIAL AGRICULTURE: (10/07/04):
      "Four companies control 80 percent of U.S. beef packing. Five control 75
      percent of the global grain trade. Five control 64 percent of the global
      agricultural chemical market.

      One study shows that each dollar spent with a local food business is worth
      $2.50 for the community.

      Most Americans have traces of half a dozen pesticides in their urine...
      these chemicals are becoming less effective over time. There's been a
      tenfold increase in both the amount and toxicity of insecticide use since
      the 1940s, but the share of the U.S. harvest lost to pests and insects has
      gone up, not down.

      Across the nation, we're losing soil 17 times faster than it naturally
      replaces itself.

      1500 miles from field to fork - that's the trek made by the average fruit
      or vegetable these days.

      Nine percent of America's total energy consumption is used to produce,
      process and transport our foods.

      [See the complete list of 21 reasons at:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/sectionz100404.cfm

      *07: Dogs Sniff Out Cancer, Veggies Do Odeipus, Spud & Air Cars
      DOGS SNIFF OUT BLADDER CANCER: (09/24/04): "The acute sense of smell that
      makes dogs useful for detecting illegal substances at airports might also
      be used to help doctors diagnosis bladder cancer, researchers reported this
      week in the British Medical Journal. Carolyn Willis, from Amersham Hospital
      in the UK and colleagues report a "proof-of-principle" study showing that
      dogs can be trained to detect bladder cancer by "smelling" urine. The
      authors note that bladder tumors produce volatile organic compounds. "Some
      of these organic compounds are likely to have distinctive odors; even when
      present in minute quantities, they could be detectable by dogs."

      ... the authors write. "Our study provides the first piece of experimental
      evidence to show that dogs can detect cancer by olfactory means more
      successfully than would be expected by chance alone." The urine sample
      from one comparison subject was consistently identified as positive for
      bladder cancer by the dogs, he notes. Although cystoscopy and ultrasound
      results were negative, the consultant tested the subject again--and found a
      kidney carcinoma."

      [Very edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=571&ncid=751&e=11&u=/nm/20040924
      /hl_nm/cancer_dogs_dc

      OEDIPUS PERFORMED BY FRESH VEGETABLES: (10/20/04): "The story of OEDIPUS,
      in 8 minutes, performed by fresh vegetables in the tradition of Ben Hur.
      Oedipus is a potato. His mom is a real tomato. The King, his father, is
      broccoli. All perform with Royal Shakespearean gravitas."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.newvenue.com/production/

      SPUD CAR IS NO DUD: (09/24/04): "Toyota's latest environmentally friendly
      concept car is made from spuds. Rear bumpers, trims and mats in the ES3
      prototype hatchback are built from a plastic derived from a natural acid in
      sweet potatoes. The organically formed substance is perfectly biodegradable
      as well as being as tough as conventional materials, reports the Daily
      Mirror. A spokesman for the car firm told the paper: "It's proven science
      and environmentally kinder. Eco-plastic has enormous potential." Toyotas
      made using potatoes are being introduced in Japan and may soon be launched
      in the UK."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1115917.html?menu=

      CARS THAT RUN ON COMPRESSED AIR: (10/04/04): "... one European
      manufacturer plans to make a type of car unaffected by $50-a-barrel crude -
      cars that run on compressed air. "It's safe, doesn't pollute, doesn't
      explode, it's not poisonous and it's not expensive," said MDI
      representative Sebastien Braud. The company says the cars will initially
      go on sale in France, where the first assembly line is due to start
      production in the middle of next year.

      How it works In both cars, an electric pump compresses air into the tank at
      a pressure of 300 bars. The pump plugs straight into an ordinary household
      socket and takes four hours to complete the recharge. When you get home
      you normally plug in your cell phone," said Braud. "Well, now you do that
      with your car too." The Air Car's pistons, pumped by the escaping
      compressed air, can take the vehicle up to 70 miles per hour. It can travel
      50 miles at top speed on a full tank, or further at lower speeds."

      [Very edited from:
      http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6138972

      *08: Students Want Vegan, Veg & Meat Sales Up, New McVeggie Burger
      U.S. RETAINS AN APPETITE FOR RED MEAT: (10/27/04): "Sales for red meat are
      predicted to top $44 billion this year, up 18 percent in just three years
      and nearly 40 percent since 1999, according to a report from research firm
      Mintel, which tracks consumer trends. After a growth slowdown after 2000,
      the appetite for red meat spiked again last year - unquestionably spurred
      on by low-carb eating and the rush to try out diets like Atkins. Beef
      showed the biggest jump in recent years, with sales up nearly 20 percent
      since 2002. Pork sales also rose over 13 percent; lamb was up more than 7
      percent. One in five people said low-carb diets spurred their meat and fish
      intake. Yet the gains for red meat come even as people eat less of it.

      The average American consumed just under 65 pounds of beef in 2003, though
      the U.S. Department of Agriculture expects that to climb slightly this year
      and next. Though nearly nine in 10 Americans say they eat beef, consumption
      is well off a peak of 90 pounds or more annually in the 1970s. Though
      three-quarters of Americans believe red meat to be less healthy than fish
      or poultry, the report noted, it hasn't dented sales. Other health and
      safety concerns linger. Four in 10 people said they had concerns about the
      hormones found in meat and poultry. And 17 percent said they were eating
      less red meat because of safety concerns like mad cow - though more were
      concerned about tainted poultry or seafood than red meat."

      [Very edited from:
      http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6338142/

      VEGETARIAN FOODS PLANT STRONGER SALES: (09/17/04): "Vegetarian food sales
      doubled since 1998, hitting $1.6 billion in 2003. The market is forecast to
      grow another 61 percent by 2008, according to Mintel, a global market
      research firm. That growth is giving an extra kick to the expanding
      business of organic produce and natural foods companies, and forcing
      mainstream food producers to scramble for a way to love veggies. What's in
      the way of faster change? Meat. A recent poll found 81 percent of the
      consumers surveyed said "a healthy diet should include meat."

      Chalk it up to U.S. consumers being a nutritional nightmare when it comes
      to diet and lifestyle. Studies show more than one-third of the U.S.
      population is trying to reduce the amount of meat in their diet. They are
      occasionally consuming vegetarian foods or drinks, citing health concerns
      like increased risk of stroke, high blood pressure and cancer as the reason
      for the shift. Soy protein, for example, has been shown to lower
      cholesterol, and food companies have latched on to this fact, claiming soy
      reduces the risk of coronary heart disease. Not surprisingly, soy and dairy
      milk alternatives showed the strongest growth of vegetarian foods from 2001
      to 2003, increasing 68 percent to an estimated $301 million in 2003,
      according to Mintel. By far the largest segment is frozen meat substitutes
      accounting for 73 percent of vegetarian foods sales."

      [Very edited from:
      http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6008949/

      ONE OUT OF EVERY FOUR COLLEGE STUDENTS WANTS VEGAN MEALS: (10/19/04):
      "According to Aramark's recent nationwide survey completed by over 100,000
      college students, nearly a quarter said finding vegan meals on campus was
      important to them. Vegan dishes contain no meat, fish, poultry or other
      products derived from animals such as dairy, eggs or honey. As a result,
      Aramark has added dozens of vegan menu items as part of the company's
      innovative and flexible menu program, available on nearly two dozen
      Aramark-managed college campuses this fall.

      "Our research demonstrated that demand for vegan is especially strong among
      college students, as fully 24% of students indicated that vegan dishes were
      important to them versus only 18% for low-carb," said Ginger Strano, RD,
      Director of Nutritional Program Development for Aramark." Aramark
      Corporation is a world leader in providing award-winning food and
      facilities management services to health care institutions, universities
      and school districts, stadiums and arenas, international and domestic
      corporations..."

      [Very edited from:
      http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&ne
      wsId=20041019005105&newsLang=en

      NEW SOY-BASED MCVEGGIE BURGER FOR MCDONALD'S: (10/08/04): "The Hain
      Celestial Group and McDonald's have teamed up to bring a new soy-based
      patty McVeggie Burger to participating McDonald's stores in Manhattan. The
      McVeggie Burger is being manufactured exclusively for McDonald's by Yves
      Veggie Cuisine, a brand wholly owned by The Hain Celestial Group, and North
      America's leading producer of fresh meat alternatives. The new McVeggie
      Burger is a meatless Yves Veggie Cuisine soy-based patty with tangy
      barbeque sauce, fresh lettuce, tomato, slivered onions and pickles served
      on a toasted sesame seed bun. At 8 grams of fat and 370 calories, the
      sandwich is cholesterol free, low in saturated fat and a good source of
      protein, vitamins and minerals. The McVeggie Burgers are manufactured in
      the Yves Veggie Cuisine plant in Vancouver, Canada where the company's line
      of over 30 meat and dairy alternatives are made. The product is a
      replacement to the existing McVeggie Burger patty that had been offered at
      New York McDonald's."

      [Edited from:
      http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041008/laf021_1.html

      *09: Smart Fish, Birds & Amphibians in Trouble, Humans are Hybrids
      PEOPLE ARE HUMAN-BACTERIA HYBRID: (10/11/04): "Most of the cells in your
      body are not your own, nor are they even human. They are bacterial. From
      the invisible strands of fungi waiting to sprout between our toes, to the
      kilogram of bacterial matter in our guts, we are best viewed as walking
      "superorganisms," highly complex conglomerations of human, fungal,
      bacterial and viral cells. That's the view of scientists at Imperial
      College London who published a paper in Nature Biotechnology Oct. 6
      describing how these microbes interact with the body. Understanding the
      workings of the superorganism, they say, is crucial to the development of
      personalized medicine and health care in the future because individuals can
      have very different responses to drugs, depending on their microbial fauna.

      More than 500 different species of bacteria exist in our bodies, making up
      more than 100 trillion cells. Because our bodies are made of only some
      several trillion human cells, we are somewhat outnumbered by the aliens. It
      follows that most of the genes in our bodies are from bacteria, too. "We
      have known for some time that many diseases are influenced by a variety of
      factors, including both genetics and environment, but the concept of this
      superorganism could have a huge impact on our understanding of disease
      processes," said Jeremy Nicholson, a professor of biological chemistry at
      Imperial College and leader of the study. He believes the approach could
      apply to research on insulin-resistance, heart disease, some cancers and
      perhaps even some neurological diseases."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,65252,00.html?tw=wn_story_top5

      FISH CAN LEARN QUICKER THAN DOGS: (10/04/04): "Fish are much brainier than
      previously thought - and can learn quicker than dogs. Oxford scientists
      have dubbed them "very capable" after building an aquatic obstacle course.
      The blind Mexican cave fish tested memorised the challenged in just a few
      hours reports The Sun. They spotted changes when the university
      researchers tried to fool them. And the fish still remembered what they had
      learned several months later.

      Scientists also revealed their subjects completed complex mental tasks
      which would baffle pets like hamsters and dogs. Dr Theresa Burt de Perera
      said: "The public perception of fish is that they are pea-brained
      numbskulls who can't remember things for more than a few seconds. "We're
      now finding that they are very capable of learning and remembering, and
      possess a range of mental skills that would surprise many people." She
      added: "We know that fish can recognise their owners - some will even go
      into a sulk if somebody else tries to feed them.""

      [Edited from:
      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1126676.html?menu=news.quirkies.animaltales

      REPORT REVEALS AMERICA'S BIRDS ARE IN TROUBLE: (10/19/04): "The National
      Audubon Society has released the first national "The State of the Birds"
      report documenting the health and abundance of North America's birds.
      Appearing in the October issue of Audubon Magazine, "The State of the
      Birds" paints a disturbing picture. Almost 30 percent of North America's
      bird species are in "significant decline." The overall state of the birds
      shows:

      70% of grassland species are in statistically significant declines
      36% of shrubland bird species are declining significantly
      25% of forest bird species are declining significantly
      13% of wetland bird species are declining significantly
      23% of bird species in urban areas are declining significantly

      According to the "State of the Birds," these declines are abnormal. Not
      part of the natural cyclical rise and fall in bird populations,
      "statistically significant declines" are due to outside factors such as
      loss of native grasslands, overgrazing of grassland and shrubland,
      development of wetlands, bad forest management, invasive species,
      pollution, and poor land use decisions. "Like the canary in the coal mine
      warning the miner of danger ahead, birds are an indicator of environmental
      and human health," said Audubon President John Flicker. "Birds signal that
      we are at risk next." Flicker went on to say, "People created these
      problems and people can solve them if we act now."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.audubon.org/news/press_releases/index.html

      [Further analysis is available on the Audubon website:
      http://www.audubon.org/bird/stateofthebirds

      AMPHIBIAN EXTINCTIONS SOUND GLOBAL ECO-ALARM, SAYS STUDY: (10/15/04):
      "They may thrive on land and in water, but amphibians everywhere are in
      serious trouble, and up to one-third of species are threatened with
      extinction, a troubling new study said on Friday. Scientists say this is
      an ominous sign for other creatures, including humans, as amphibians are
      widely regarded as biological "canaries in the coal mine," since their
      permeable skin is highly sensitive to changes in the environment. In short,
      they go first, and others follow.

      The first comprehensive survey of a grouping that includes frogs, toads,
      and salamanders, the Global Amphibian Assessment says that at least nine
      species have become extinct since 1980. It says 113 more have not been
      reported in the wild in recent years and are believed to have vanished. The
      full details will be published in a few weeks in the respected journal
      Science. "Amphibians are one of nature's best indicators of overall
      environmental health," Conservation International President Russell
      Mittermeier said in a statement from the World Conservation Union (IUCN),
      one of the world's top environment bodies.

      "Their catastrophic decline serves as a warning that we are in a period of
      significant environmental degradation," he said in the statement that
      coincided with the final day of a two-week meeting of signatories to the
      Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) in Bangkok."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.enn.com/today.html?id=193

      Nov 6-7: San Francisco, CA > http://www.greenfestivals.com
      Nov 11: Wichita, KS> TBD

      [More details and contact info at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *11: Quick Bytes
      AGRICULTURE:

      ["Hundreds of Schools in South Africa Planting Organic Gardens:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/africa093004.cfm

      ANIMAL ISSUES:

      [Shoes With Soils Vegan Products:
      http://www.shoeswithsouls.com

      [PETAs New "Save the Sheep" Campaign:
      http://savethesheep.com/

      [Factory Farm Animals Slaughtered 2004 Stats (from FARM, COK, UPC):

      DIET/HEALTH:

      ["Study: Mediterranean Diet Leads to Longer, Better Lives:"
      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/Living/mediterranean_diet_040922-1.html

      ["New Studies: Walking, Good Diet Prevent Dementia:"
      http://www.cbn.com/CBNNews/News/040922c.asp

      ["Java junkies do suffer withdrawal, scientists say:"
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2004-09-30-caffeine-usat_x.htm

      ["Food Giants & California Legislature Preserve Junk Food Diet for Schools:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/schoolfood101804.cfm

      ["National Education Assoc. Sells Out to Atkins:"
      http://www.pcrm.org/news/release040929.html

      [PCRM Announces "Golden Carrot Award" Winners:
      http://www.healthyschoollunches.org

      ENVIRONMENT:

      ["1st Link Between Suburban Sprawl/Increase In Chronic Health Ailments:"
      http://www.rand.org/news/press.04/09.27.html

      ["Crimes Against Nature" re: Bush Admin., by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.:

      NETWORKING:

      [FARMUSA's MeatOut Monday Newsletter:
      http://meatoutmondays.org/11-01.htm

      [Vegetarians In Paradise Newsletter:
      http://www.vegparadise.com

      [International Vegetarian Union Newsletter:
      http://www.ivu.org/news/index.html

      ["Seeds of Deception" GM-related Newsletter:
      http://www.seedsofdeception.com/newsletter-Oct1_2004.php

      RECIPES:

      [Over 10,000 veg'n recipe links:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VegRecipes.html

      [27 Tempeh Recipes:
      http://www.recipesource.com/special-diets/vegetarian/tempeh/

      [Humonguous Veg-Recipes Yahoo Group:

      [SDA Vegan Recipes Yahoo Group:

      [Wonderful collection of TVP recipes and information:
      http://www.vegsource.com/talk/beginner/messages/143111.html

      VEG'N-RELATED:

      [Veg'n recipes, networking, editorials, blog:
      http://www.thegreencuttingboard.blogspot.com/2004_05_01_thegreencuttingboard_arc
      hive.html

      [VRG's "Vegetarianism and Cheese" Info:
      http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/cheese.htm

      [Vegetarian Sandwiches Cookbook Website:
      http://www.vegetarianculinarians.com

      [Vegetarian and Vegan Diet Phrases in Different Languages:
      http://www.ivu.org/phrases/index.html

      ["I Can't Believe it's Vegan" Products Listings:
      http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/default.asp

      [What is Vegan?
      http://www.thegreenguide.org/article/food/vegan

      *12: Closing Thought(s)

      "Our job is not to individually save the world. Our job is to do what we
      can do, walking our talk. Do we ever stop and think about that? Are we
      thinking about who's making the decisions about what we are doing? Are we
      getting involved? I think that we need right now, each and every one of
      us, to look at the issues that are out there, whether it is collection of
      our trash, taxes, voter registration... look at what happened in the last
      presidential election in Florida, where they ended up where thousands of
      people were denied the opportunity to vote because of the problems with
      their registration. These are the things that need to be dealt with at the
      local level. We need to get involved in all elections. "

      --- Howard Lyman (from the "Politics" segment of the "Earth Talk 2003" DVD)