09_20_04: More w/ Tom Regan, NEW Howard DVD, McLibel Pt. 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2004
      Howdy! Welcome to the 41st Edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter!

      In this issue we've two exclusives: information on the newly released "A
      Mad Cowboy Lecture" DVD featuring Howard at his best in front of a live
      audience, and Parts 3 and 4 of the Mad Cowboy Interview with acclaimed
      animal rights philosopher, Dr. Tom Regan.

      Reading further down, you'll learn about an amazing tree-planting effort in
      China, new statistics on how coal power plants cause death and illness,
      research suggesting benzene causing cancer in children, and how pollution
      may cause bizarre behavior in non-human species. There's also information
      on red meat and soda (individually) and increased diabetes risks, flame
      retardants in our food, and another good reason to eat more blueberries.

      On the lighter side, you can read about spinach and banana power, the dog
      with the most expensive ears in the world, and a sandwich called "Nuke."
      We've included some bits on the McLibel Lawsuit back in the news,
      sustainable dining successes in colleges, the "best" veg restaurants in the
      country according to VegNews, and blurbs about a new vegan cookbook and a
      book about the History of Vegetarianism in the United States. Towards the
      end of this edition, you'll know why farmers are going back to "old seeds,"
      an effort to recycle the collateral damage from hurricanes, and a survey of
      organic farmers.

      As always, a nod of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all can read past
      issues of the newsletter at:

      Best wishes to everyone for a great Fall Equinox! Mark

      [Check out:
      http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/AutumnalEquinox.html

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quotes of Note
      01: "A Mad Cowboy Lecture" - A New Interactive DVD from Howard
      02: 2nd Half of the Mad Cowboy Interview with Dr. Tom Regan
      04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      05: Chinese Plant Trees, Coal Kills, Pollution & Behavior/Cancer
      06: Red Meat/Sodas=Diabetes, PBDEs in Food, Eat Blueberries
      07: Spinach/Banana Power, Dog Ears, Sandwich called "Nuke"
      08: McLibel Pt. 2, Sustainable Dining, VegNews News, New Veg Books
      09: Old Seeds New Again, Hurricane Recycling, Organic Survey
      10: Upcoming Events of Special Note
      11: Howard's Schedule
      12: Quick Bytes
      13: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Quotes of Note
      "This [the trial] was not about food dispargement. This was about the
      "Golden Rule." This was about a group of Texas cattemen that thought they
      had enough gold that they can make the rules. One of them, in an interview
      with the Wall Street Journal said: "Remember, the Right of Free Speech is
      not etched in granite."

      I sure hope it is. Because I'm standing in front of you tonight; I'm
      telling you want I believe. And the Supreme Court says we should have a
      vigorous debate. We should have the Right of Free Speech. I wrote my book
      so that people could go and find the facts of why I believe what I believe.

      This is about free speech. It's about the future of our children and
      grandchildren. It's about the people in this room tonight, informing
      yourselves, so that when somebody taps you on the shoulder and says: "Are
      you one of the "V" people? that you can say why. That's what's important."

      --- Howard Lyman (in "A Mad Cowboy Lecture")

      *01: "A Mad Cowboy Lecture" - A New Interactive DVD from Howard
      Previously available on VHS, now updated, this interactive DVD is a 2 hour
      fact-filled, inspiring lecture by 4th generation cattle rancher, and vegan,
      Howard Lyman. Howard discusses his life, transformation from rancher and
      self-proclaimed chemical junky to vegan, his operation, experiences as a
      Congressional lobbyist, the landmark trial, Mad Cow disease, diet,
      nutrition, the meat industry, and our environment. Filmed in front of a
      live audience, we see Howard at his dynamic best: surprising, amusing,
      challenging, and captivating his listeners. This DVD also provides a list
      of additional web resources related to the topics covered.

      [More info:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VVFprods.002.html#MCL

      [Experimental excerpts (more to follow):
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCLMedia.html

      *02: 2nd Half of the Mad Cowboy Interview with Dr. Tom Regan
      [Dr. Tom Regan is professor emeritus of philosophy at North Carolina State
      University in Raleigh. The author of more than 20 books, and he is
      universally recognized as the intellectual leader of the animal rights
      movement. His latest book is: "Empty Cages."]

      ON VEGETABLE RIGHTS:

      MS: "Is there a particular misconception people have about animal having
      rights that is most common or stands out in your mind?"

      TR: "Oh, it's what about plants..."

      MS: "Comes up a lot then?"

      TR: "It's one of the first things that people say. I have this image of Tom
      Regan in Hell, a really bad place to be, and it's going to be a very hard
      place to get any rest. What's going to happen, is that just as I'm dozing
      off and actually getting some rest in Hell, there's going to be somebody
      next to me who pokes me in the ribs and says, "hey, yeah, but what about
      plants?" It's like the myth of Sysiphus.... pushing the rock... that's what
      going to happen... every time I doze off, somebody pokes me in the ribs,
      "hey, yeah, but what about plants?"

      ON VIOLENCE:

      So, okay, you say that animals are the innocent. Yes, they are. Have you
      done everything you can to prevent using violence? And the ARAs who use
      violence say "Yes, we have." And the people like me who don't support that,
      are saying: "No, you haven't... you haven't even remotely done what needs
      to be done."

      MS: "You make it clear in several places in your book that you do not
      support that violence."

      TR: "No, I don't support it. We have not done remotely enough in an open
      democratic society."

      ON COWBOYS:

      MS: "...you describe what really happens in "bucking." I don't want to give
      it all away here... but you talk about these macho cowboys roping, what you
      term as "babies," these calves that are only 4 to 5 months old?"

      TR: "That's right."

      MS: "..and the phrase you use "roping babies," that's really what they're
      doing!"

      TR: "Here we have today's "brave cowboy." What a brave cowboy you are, buddy!"

      ON "THE WALL:"

      TR: "In a lot of my thinking, I think in pictures. And one picture I think
      of is where we are in terms of what's being done to animals, and I see it
      as a big wall, a gigantic wall. What we know tomorrow morning when we wake
      up, it's not like that wall is going to be gone. It's not like that wall is
      going to be toppled the next day, month, year, or years... in my lifetime.
      But what we can do is to identify some brick in that wall and say "let's
      get rid of that." So let's get rid of pound seizure, or let's get rid of
      puppy mills, or let's get rid of greyhound racing... let's get rid of
      keeping marine mammals in captivity... let's get rid of elephants, lions,
      and tigers in circuses. These are all achievable goals, they really are
      achievable goals, we can do this.... there's no question about that. But
      what it's going to take is collaboration and cooperation between major and
      national organizations."

      [You can read the "just released" Parts 3 and 4 (as well as Parts 1 and 2)
      of the interview, and access related web resources at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_MCIview03.000.html

      LAST WEEK'S MIND-BENDER:
      "Which of these four countries has the highest number of threatened mammal
      species?" Brazil China India Indonesia (Hint: the same country has
      the most mammalian species...)

      Congratulations to Keoki Seu for correctly guessing "Indonesia" and winning
      the luck of the draw!
      [http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/env_kno_mam_spe

      THIS WEEK'S MAD COWBOY VEGAN MIND-BENDER:
      "Approximately, how many lambs does it take to make one standard-sized
      coat?" (closest answer wins)

      Please e-mail guesses to: webmaster@... with the word "contest"
      in your subject line by NLT October 4th, 2004.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the
      correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you
      can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *04: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      JAPAN CONFIRMS 12TH CASE OF MAD COW: (09/13/04): "Japan has confirmed a
      12th case of mad cow disease, an official said Monday - the third case of
      the brain-wasting illness in the country this year. The 5-year-old dairy
      cow tested positive for the disease formally known as bovine spongiform
      encephalopathy, or BSE, on Friday at a slaughterhouse in Shisui town in
      southern Kumamoto prefecture, spokesman official Toshinori Takano said.

      Japan's first case of mad cow disease - in September 2001 - was the first
      case outside of Europe, where it devastated cattle farms. Within months of
      that case, the government banned the use of meat-and-bone meal - made from
      ruminant animal parts - in cattle feed, which authorities believe led to
      the outbreak.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040913/APA/409130672

      USDA DOCUMENT CITES YOUNG MAD COW CASES: (08/23/04): "A U.S. Department of
      Agriculture document from 1990 obtained by UPI acknowledges British cows as
      young as 22 months were infected with mad cow. USDA officials, in the wake
      of the December case of mad cow disease, have insisted it would be unlikely
      to find the deadly disease in cows under 30 months of age, but the 1990
      document indicates the agency once was concerned about the possibility of
      young cases.

      "This appears to be a 'smoking gun' document, which shows that the agency
      knew at one time at least that animals younger than 30 months were affected
      by the disease," Michael Hansen, a biologist and senior research associate
      with the watchdog group Consumers Union in Yonkers, N.Y., told UPI. The
      document, entitled "Emergency Programs Alert" and issued May 1990,
      describes the outbreak of mad cow disease in the United Kingdom and states:
      "Age of affected cattle at onset ranged from 1 year 10 months to 15 years."
      The document urges USDA veterinarians to collect a brain sample from any
      U.S. cattle showing signs of the disease and does not specify any
      limitations on age.

      [Edited from:
      http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040823-104837-6912r.htm

      OUR 'DON'T TEST, DON'T KNOW' POLICY ON BSE MUST CHANGE: (08/21/04): "The
      Alberta-based Canadian Cattlemen for Fair Trade recently filed a claim for
      $150 million with the government of the United States for losses from the
      mad-cow crisis. Under NAFTA's Chapter 11 investment provisions, it says the
      U.S. has "unjustifiably provided less favourable treatment" to Canadian
      beef producers... it's a reminder of the absence of any progress in
      eliminating or even determining the extent of mad-cow disease in Canada,
      because certainly enormous sums of money and effort are supporting an
      industry severely affected by it.

      Organizations such as the Alberta Cattle Feeders have demanded this blanket
      testing, but when Cattleland Feedlot in Strathmore, Alta., wanted to test
      its own cattle, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency said only it does BSE
      testing and only it can issue export permits. The Canadian Health
      Coalition also wants more testing and expressed outrage earlier this year
      at the federal government's rejection of advice from its own experts to
      test 65,000 cattle over a one-year period to ensure BSE is not widespread
      in Canada.

      "Their policy is: You don't test, you don't find," said the coalition's
      Michael McBane. "Every other country that increased testing found
      significantly more (infected) cows. They keep saying it's an isolated case.
      How would we know? We're not testing enough to find out." And now, thanks
      to a $70-per-head charge by renderers collecting dead stock and farmers'
      reluctance to take their "downed, diseased, dead or distressed cattle" to
      testing labs, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is behind in meeting even
      its reduced surveillance obligations."

      [Very edited from the detailed article at:
      http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/soundoff/story.html?id=8f463416-f767-
      4cc1-8e79-37f637c4fe2b

      SECOND CJD OPERATION REVEALED: (09/14/04): "A SECOND man with a rare and
      deadly brain disease was operated on in Melbourne, but there was no risk of
      others becoming infected, the Victorian health ministry said today. A
      spokesman for Bronwyn Pike confirmed that a man with Creutzfeldt-Jakob
      disease (CJD) was admitted to the Austin Hospital in 2001 with a
      neurological condition. The man later died from CJD which was confirmed
      following an autopsy, the spokesman said.

      The revelation came after more than 1000 former patients of the Royal
      Melbourne Hospital were yesterday warned there was a small risk they could
      have contracted CJD from surgical instruments. he hospital has sent letters
      to 1056 brain or spinal patients after confirmation that a man with CJD
      twice underwent surgery there in 2003. He died earlier this year, but it
      took until last week for tests to confirm he had the disease. CJD is one
      of the only diseases to withstand normal sterilisation processes. The Royal
      Melbourne Hospital has withdrawn its stock of 15,000 neurosurgical
      instruments pending their replacement and has begun sterilising its entire
      stock of 300,000 surgical instruments on the advice of the National CJD
      Incidents Committee."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10761693%255E1702,
      00.html

      FEW WEAPONS IN WAR TO TACKLE RARE DISEASE: (09/14/04):"It would be almost
      impossible to remove the remote risk of contracting Creutzfeldt-Jakob
      Disease, a Tasmanian neurosurgeon said yesterday. Hobart's John Liddell
      said only by using brand-new surgical instruments for each patient would
      the risk of transmission be cut. "We're all aware and concerned about CJD,"
      Dr Liddell said. "The only real way to prevent [the chance of it spreading]
      would be to use disposable instruments for every single patient.

      "It's completely impractical in terms of potential cost and on the
      information we have it's an exceedingly rare disease." He said precautions
      could be taken if a patient was suspected of having the disease but
      "nothing is 100 per cent safe"."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.news.com.au/common/printpage/0,6093,10759476,00.html

      *05: Chinese Plant Trees, Coal Kills, Pollution & Behavior/Cancer
      CHINA CITY FIGHTS ENVIRONMENTAL TROUBLE WITH TREES: (09/03/04): "It took
      $80 million, five years, and enough trees to circle the world five times.
      But Lanzhou, a gritty industrial city on the Yellow River in northern
      China, says it is stopping erosion that is clogging one of the country's
      main waterways with silt and making it more prone to deadly floods.
      Lanzhou is just one part of China's battle against environmental havoc,
      including choking smog, poisoned water, and horrific flooding. The
      culprits are many. Two decades of breakneck industrialisation, a lack of
      effective regulation, and the legacy of disastrous policies such as Mao
      Zedong's 1958-61 Great Leap Forward have all played roles.

      But the problems are finally grabbing Beijing's attention. The State
      Environmental Protection Administration plans to launch a "Green GDP" index
      to calculate the cost of environmental damage caused by booming growth, the
      official China Daily said on Thursday. "As China's economy is growing
      rapidly but its environment has been worsened in turn, environment
      officials and experts have been calling for the adoption of green GDP," the
      newspaper said."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2004-09-03/s_26857.asp

      COAL TAKES HEAVY HUMAN TOLL: (08/24/04): "Some 25,100 U.S. Deaths from
      Coal Use Largely Preventable: Startling new research shows that one out of
      every six women of childbearing age in the United States may have blood
      mercury concentrations high enough to damage a developing fetus. This means
      that 630,000 of the 4 million babies born in the country each year are at
      risk of neurological damage because of exposure to dangerous mercury levels
      in the womb. Fetuses, infants, and young children are most at risk for
      mercury damage to their nervous systems. New studies show that mercury
      exposure may also damage cardiovascular, immune, and reproductive systems.

      Humans are exposed to mercury primarily by eating contaminated fish.
      Forty-five of the 50 states have issued consumption advisories limiting the
      eating of fish caught locally because of their high mercury content. The
      largest source of mercury pollution is coal-fired power plants. Airborne
      mercury emitted by these facilities is deposited anywhere from within a few
      hundred kilometers of the smokestacks to across continents, far from its
      source. Methylmercury easily travels up the aquatic food chain,
      accumulating at higher concentrations at each level. Larger predator
      species contain the most mercury, which is then passed on to those who eat
      them.

      Since the industrial revolution began, mercury contamination in the
      environment has jumped threefold. In the United States, 23,600 deaths each
      year can be attributed to air pollution from power plants. Those dying
      prematurely due to exposure to particulate matter lose, on average, 14
      years of life. Burning coal also is responsible for some 554,000 asthma
      attacks, 16,200 cases of chronic bronchitis, and 38,200 non-fatal heart
      attacks each year. Atmospheric power plant pollution in the United States
      racks up an estimated annual health care bill of over $160 billion."

      [Heavily edited from the very detailed and comprehensive article at:
      http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/Update42.htm

      POLLUTION TRIGGERS BIZARRE BEHAVIOUR IN ANIMALS: (09/03/04): "Hyperactive
      fish, stupid frogs, fearless mice and seagulls that fall over. It sounds
      like a weird animal circus, but this is no freak show. Animals around the
      world are increasingly behaving in bizarre ways, and the cause is
      environmental pollution. The chemicals to blame are known as endocrine
      disruptors, and range from heavy metals such as lead to polychlorinated
      biphenyls (PCBs) and additives such as bisphenol A.

      And in recent years it has become clear that pollutants can cause
      gender-bending effects by altering animals' physiology, particularly their
      sexual organs. But now two major reviews have revealed that the chemicals
      are having a much greater impact on animal behaviour than anyone suspected.
      Low concentrations of these pollutants are changing both the social and
      mating behaviours of a raft of species. This potentially poses a far
      greater threat to survival than, for example, falling sperm counts caused
      by higher chemical concentrations.

      DOES BENZENE CAUSE CHILDHOOD LEUKEMIA?: (08/19/04): "Preliminary research
      suggests that benzene emissions from gas stations and auto repair shops may
      quadruple the risk of leukemia in children. But the authors of the study,
      which appears in the September issue of Occupational and Environmental
      Medicine, caution against overinterpreting the results. "It is
      preliminary," said senior author Dr. Jacqueline Clavel, director of
      research at the French National Institute of Health and Medical Research.
      The connection could be coincidental, but it does point to the need for
      further research, she said.

      The researchers identified 280 cases of acute childhood leukemia, then
      compared them with an age-matched control group of 258 children without a
      history of cancer. Almost two-thirds of the children with cancer were 2 to
      6 years of age.... children who lived near a gas station or an auto repair
      shop were four times more likely to develop leukemia as children who did
      not live near these places."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.healthcentral.com/news/NewsFullText.cfm?id=520749

      *06: Red Meat/Sodas=Diabetes, PBDEs in Food, Eat Blueberries
      BLUEBERRIES LOWER CHOLESTEROL AS EFFECTIVELY AS DRUGS: (08/24/04):
      "Researchers have found a compound in the blueberry that lowers cholesterol
      just as effectively as commercial drugs, with the added advantage of fewer
      side effects, according to a new study by the U.S. Department of
      Agriculture. The compound, called pterostilbene, shows promise as a
      natural medicine to lower cholesterol in patients that don't respond well
      to conventional drugs, according to the researchers. The findings were
      presented Monday at the national meeting of the American Chemical Society.
      Pterostilbene, an antioxidant, is similar to resveratrol, which is found in
      grapes and red wine, also believed to lower cholesterol."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.healthtalk.ca/blueberries_cholesterol_08242004_2928.php

      RED MEAT UPS DIABETES RISK IN OLDER WOMEN: (09/14/04): "Middle age and
      elderly women whose diets include a lot of red meat appear to have an
      increased risk of developing diabetes, according to a report in the medical
      journal Diabetes Care. Dr. Simin Liu, of Brigham and Women's Hospital in
      Boston, and colleagues examined the association between red meat
      consumption and the risk of type 2 diabetes, the type that doesn't
      necessarily require insulin. A total of 37,309 participants in the Women's
      Health Study were followed for an average of 8.8 years. Women who ate the
      highest amounts of red meat were 28 percent more likely to develop diabetes
      than their peers who ate the lowest amounts. In terms of specific meats
      linked to diabetes, bacon and hot dogs were identified as two of the worst
      offenders."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/27104/story.htm

      RESEARCHERS LINK SOFT DRINKS TO DIABETES: (08/26/04): "The doctors behind
      one of the nation's most comprehensive public health studies have concluded
      what most dieters already know: Chugging down sodas packs on the pounds.
      The study of more than 90,000 women also suggests that increased
      consumption of sodas and other sugary drinks may significantly increase the
      chance of getting adult-onset diabetes, according to the study published
      Wednesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

      Even though researchers adjusted their findings to account for increases in
      other kinds of foods and snacks, including red meat, french fries, sweets
      and fruit, and for levels of exercise, smoking rates and other lifestyle
      issues, the study's authors said it comes down to drinking sodas. The soda
      and beverage industries disputed the conclusion, arguing that the study was
      flawed and that it was impossible to single out one type of food or drink
      and blame it for the obesity crisis.

      Many nutritionists said the study provided much-needed scientific backing
      for their concern over American's soda habit. Soft drink consumption in the
      United States increased 61 percent among adults between 1977 and 1997.
      During the same period, obesity and diabetes also jumped substantially, the
      Harvard researchers said. They have continued to climb."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/08/26/MNG088EJSU1.DTL

      [Study: JAMA. 2004;292:927-934.
      http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/292/8/927

      FLAME RETARDANTS FOUND IN U.S. FOOD: (09/01/04): "Flame retardants were
      found in U.S. supermarket food in larger than expected amounts, warranting
      further study given the possible ties to cancer, researchers reported
      Wednesday in Environmental Science & Technology, a peer-reviewed journal of
      the American Chemical Society. "Our paper is the first U.S. market basket
      food survey for brominated flame retardants," study co-author Arnold
      Schecter said in a statement. Schecter is an environmental sciences
      professor at the University of Texas School of Public Health in Dallas.

      The type of retardants found are technically known as polybrominated
      diphenyl ethers, or PBDEs, a chemical added to plastics, electronics,
      textiles and furniture foam to save lives by retarding flammability. "We
      found PBDE contamination in all food containing animal fats," Schecter said
      of the study, which tested 32 food samples from well-known brands sold in
      three major supermarkets in Dallas. That's because PDBEs are easily
      absorbed by fatty tissues. Nonfat milk, on the other hand, had no
      detectable PBDE levels. The highest levels were in fish, followed by meat
      and then dairy products.

      The Dallas levels were much higher than findings in the only two other
      similar studies done so far, one in Japan and the other in Spain.The large
      disparity was not accounted for in the study, but the Dallas researchers
      had earlier tested the breast milk of 47 Dallas women and found the highest
      PBDE levels in the world to date. The concerns about PBDEs have led the
      European Union to ban two types - penta and octa. It is also weighing a ban
      on a third, deca-PBDEs."

      [Very edited from:
      http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5887631/

      *07: Spinach/Banana Power, Dog Ears, Sandwich called "Nuke"
      'FAT DARRELL' CROWNED AS BEST SANDWICH: (08/18/04): "It started early one
      morning in 1997 after a night of partying, when Darrell Butler was a
      Rutgers University sophomore with little money and a craving for chicken
      fingers, mozzarella sticks and french fries. Now the "Fat Darrell" has
      been crowned the best sandwich in the country by Maxim magazine. Maxim's
      September issue, which lists the top 10 sandwiches, hits news stands
      Tuesday. "Separately, they would have cost me, like, $12.75, and I was on
      a college budget," Butler, 26, of Eatontown, told The Associated Press. He
      combined all three foods into a single order.

      "So, I'm standing there eating it, and all of a sudden the guy standing
      behind me says, 'That thing that guy's eating looks pretty good, can you
      make me one of those?' And, it was like a movie scene, the next 10 people
      order the same thing. So, I'm like, 'Whoa!' like I think I might be onto
      something. And the guy is like, 'Hey, man, this is cool.'" That guy who
      assembled the sandwich was Abdul Eid, working in an R.U. Hungry food truck,
      parked in a campus lot in New Brunswick, catering to beer-soaked
      undergraduates with the late-night munchies.

      Eid now runs R.U. Hungry Grill & Pizza, a store he was able to open in part
      due to the success of the $4.75 Fat Darrell, the flagship of R.U.'s "Fat"
      line. "I have the 'Fat Mojo,' which is exactly the same thing as the 'Fat
      Darrell,' but with honey mustard instead of marinara sauce," said Eid, 34,
      a native of Beirut, Lebanon. Maxim's runner-up was "The Nuke," an artery
      blocker at the Staggering Ox in Helena, Montana, that combines ham, roast
      beef, turkey and three cheeses."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040818_3061.html

      DOG HAS EARS INSURED FOR £30,000: (09/06/04): "A German basset hound with
      the longest dog ears in the world, has had them insured for £30,000 [over
      $50,000 US]. Jack, owned by Carsten Baus, has ears that measure a total of
      13.07 inches. Baus and his family realised Jack might be a record-breaker
      when they read an article saying the longest dog's ears in the world
      measured 11.6 inches. "We measured Jack's ears just for fun and we were
      utterly surprised," said Baus. "We sent the information to a local paper
      and soon received a call from an employee at the Guinness Book of World
      Records." All of a sudden taking him for walkies was like walking the
      gauntlet," said Baus. "People scolded us and accused us of cruelty to
      animals, when Jack's ears are really just a freak of nature."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1093197.html?menu=news.quirkies.animaltales

      SPINACH MAY SOON POWER MOBILE DEVICES: (09/16/04): "For the first time,
      MIT researchers have incorporated a plant's ability to convert sunlight to
      energy into a solid-state electronic "spinach sandwich" device that may one
      day power laptops and cell phones. At the heart of the device is a protein
      complex dubbed Photosystem I (PSI). Derived from spinach chloroplasts, PSI
      is 10 to 20 nanometers wide. Around 100,000 of them would fit on the head
      of a pin. "They are the smallest electronic circuits I know of," said
      researcher Marc A. Baldo, assistant professor of electronic engineering and
      computer science at MIT.

      Plants' ability to generate energy has been optimized by evolution, so a
      spinach plant is extremely efficient, churning out a lot of energy relative
      to its size and weight. But combining biological and non-biological
      materials in one device has stymied researchers in the past. Biological
      materials need water and salt to survive-both are deadly for electronics.
      The spinach-sandwich device has no water.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.physorg.com/news1181.html

      A BANANA-FUELLED POWER PLANT: (08/27/04): "A banana-fuelled power plant
      capable of powering 500 homes could be built Australian engineers have
      created an electricity generator fuelled by decomposing bananas, and hope
      to build a full size fruit-fired power station. At present, much of
      Australia's annual banana crop goes to waste, because the fruit are too
      bruised or small. But rather than just letting them rot, the researchers
      would like to put the rejects to good commercial use.

      About one third of tropical Queensland's banana crop - which is more than
      20,000 tonnes a year - never makes it into the shops. Bananas are
      abundantly available and could be a great source of renewable energy Bill
      Clarke, University of Queensland Dr Clarke lets the bananas decompose in
      sealed vats and uses the methane from the rotting fruit to power an
      electricity turbine."

      *08: McLibel Pt. 2, Sustainable Dining, VegNews News, New Veg Books
      'MCLIBEL TWO' RETURN TO COURT: (09/05/04): "The two defendants in the
      so-called "McLibel" trial will be back in court this week for the latest
      stage of their legal fight. Helen Steel and Dave Morris were sued by
      McDonald's over leaflets containing several damaging allegations about the
      fast food chain distributed by London Greenpeace in the early 1990s. At
      the time, the pair were members of the group which has no connection to the
      Greenpeace International network.

      The subsequent trial at the High Court, where they represented themselves,
      ended in 1997 after 314 days and became the longest in English legal
      history. The judge, Mr Justice Bell, ruled McDonald's had been libelled
      and awarded the company £60,000 in damages, reduced to £40,000 on appeal.
      But he found the leaflet was true when it accused McDonald's of paying low
      wages to its workers, being responsible for cruelty to some of the animals
      used in its food products and exploiting children in advertising campaigns.
      The case is thought to have cost the fast food giant £10 million and was
      described as "the biggest corporate PR disaster in history".

      Ms Steel, 39, and Mr Morris, 50, both from Tottenham, north London, will
      take the case to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg on
      Tuesday. The friends, who have not paid any of the damages, claim the
      original proceedings denied them their freedom of speech and right to a
      fair trial. Lawyers acting on their behalf will argue that multinationals
      should not be allowed to sue for libel because they weld huge power over
      people's lives and the environment and must be open to scrutiny and
      criticism. They will also call for a defence for those who distribute
      leaflets containing information they honestly believe to be true."

      [Very edited from:
      http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3456200

      [Check out this website for past and ongoing coverage/info on the trail(s):
      http://www.mcspotlight.org/

      [Note: Howard was brought in as an expert witness in the 1st McLibel Trial]

      COLLEGE CAMPUSES OPT FOR SUSTAINABLE DINING: (09/10/04): "It took only a
      few weeks for the news to spread last fall: The food served at Yale
      University's Berkeley College dining hall was the best on campus. Students
      assigned to eat in the 11 other residential colleges (Yale's version of
      dorms) wanted in. One day, eight students tried to sneak by the check-in
      clerk with forged IDs... Why are Yale students resorting to identity
      theft? The draw is Yale's new sustainable dining program, which offers
      meals made from local, seasonal, and sustainably grown food, cooked using
      recipes developed under the guidance of famed California restaurateur Alice
      Waters. Across the nation, from The College of the Atlantic on the Maine
      coast to Stanford University in California, college cafeterias are
      increasingly working to bypass - at least in part - the corporate food
      industry.

      ... they are "cooking whole" from scratch and incorporating local, organic,
      and seasonal foods into their menus. A few institutions are getting some of
      their food from right on campus, harvested from student-run organic
      gardens. Advocates of sustainable dining argue that the ripple effects
      from this reorientation can be far-reaching, even transformative. They hope
      that recreating local networks of food production and distribution will
      revive local economies; influence farmers to grow foods responsibly; save
      farms and thereby stem sprawl; enrich the curriculum; reduce consumption of
      oil used for fertilizers and trucking; combat obesity by providing
      alternatives to highly processed foods; and restore mealtime to its place
      as the center of social life.

      [Heavily edited from the fascinating and comprehensive article at:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2004-09-10/s_26555.asp

      VEGNEWS ANNOUNCES THE BEST VEGETARIAN RESTAURANTS OF 2004: (09/04)
      "Showcased in the September/October edition of VegNews magazine are the 14
      Best Vegetarian Restaurants in North America, complete with mouthwatering
      photographs, chats with the chefs, veg-friendly cooking schools, menu
      standouts, and even restaurant recipes. Editors of the magazine selected
      the very best from among the thousands of nominated restaurants serving up
      fresh, vibrant and delicious plant-based cuisine.

      "These restaurants are leaders in the restaurant industry and continue to
      develop high-quality, cutting-edge food that pleases vegetarians and
      non-vegetarians alike. We are thrilled to honor their accomplishments with
      a 2004 Best Veg Restaurant Award," said publisher Joseph Connelly. Not
      unexpectedly, some of the more well-known restaurants are located in New
      York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, but wonderful vegetarian restaurants
      can also be found in unexpected locales, such as Fort Lauderdale, Columbus,
      and Fort Worth.

      The issue arrived on newsstands the first week of September and is also
      available on the magazine's award-winning website, http://www.vegnews.com

      [Edited from:
      http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/9/prwebxml156875.php

      NEW BOOK: "VEGETARIAN AMERICA: A HISTORY:" (09/04) "The first complete
      history of vegetarianism in the United States, this story reveals the
      people, the organizations, and the events from the late 1700s to the
      present. Despite generally held notions that today's vegetarianism sprang
      from 1960s counterculture and that prior to that its only advocates were
      fanatics and fringe groups, the authors explore strong movements in other
      historical eras, the proponents of which included esteemed physicians,
      socialites, and other notable members of the establishment. Until now, no
      one has chronicled the contributions that advocates of vegetarianism have
      made to the American way of life in areas such as general eating habits,
      preventative medicine, feminism, environmental awareness, and elsewhere.
      From a religious movement, to an ethical concern about the rights of
      animals, to many recent nutritional discoveries, vegetarianism is a
      movement that continues to evolve and grow."

      From Howard F. Lyman LL.D., author of Mad Cowboy: "Vegetarian America is
      one of the most fascinating books I have ever read. It shows clearly where
      the path is leading and I hope enough of us get on it before it's too late
      for our children and grandchildren."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.greenwood.com/books/BookDetail.asp?dept_id=1&sku=C7519

      NEW BOOK: "VEGAN RECIPES FOR MEAT EATERS:" (09/04/04) "There are over
      250,000 vegans in Britain and numbers are growing, often prompted by food
      allergies such as lactose intolerance. A perfect introduction to veganism
      - and a source of delicious new ideas for long-established vegans - this
      inspiring book is endorsed by the Vegan Society and published to coincide
      with their Diamond Jubilee. [Author] Tony Weston's vegan guesthouse in
      Scotland won the Vegetarian Hotel of the Year award in 1995. He is also the
      author of the groundbreaking vegan cookbook Rainbows & Wellies. Tony has
      worked for the vegetarian society and now works for The Vegan Society.
      [Co-author] Yvonne Bishop's interest in vegetarian nutrition led to key
      roles at Holland & Barratt health food chain, Crank's wholefood restaurant,
      The Food Doctor and now runs her own nutrition and catering consultancy
      Foods For Life."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/9/prwebxml154762.php

      *09: Old Seeds New Again, Hurricane Recycling, Organic Survey
      SEED CROSSINGS BRING BACK OLD TRAITS FOR ORGANIC FARMERS: (08/23/04):
      "What if organic gardeners and farmers could plant fruits and vegetables
      suited for life without chemicals? What if organic growers had access to
      varieties naturally resistant to diseases, to varieties with cold tolerance
      and with large leaf canopies to shade out weeds? For 50 years, American
      plant breeders, both public and private, have bred prima donna varieties
      that are capable of spectacular performances when the stage is properly set
      -- the soil ripped and tilled, the nitrates ready and waiting, the weeds,
      fungi and insects chemically cordoned off -- but that falter under the
      environmental pressures of organic management.

      "Seeds are always a reflection of the agricultural system they are born
      in," says John Navazio, director of education and research for the Organic
      Seed Alliance. Seed from plants that thrive in cultivated soils will likely
      be ill-prepared for no-till and compost-covered fields. Varieties bred to
      respond to chemical pest protection won't hone their natural defense
      mechanisms. Seed with the genetics to flourish in monoculture farming will
      produce different leaf canopies and root structures than what is optimal
      for the layered multispecies plant groupings of organic farming regimes.

      Ironic, isn't it, that a nation would craft a germplasm base best suited
      for an unsustainable agricultural system? The United States has done so
      largely as the result of historical coincidence. Modern plant breeding,
      defined as the controlled crossing of plant varieties to transfer desirable
      traits, blossomed after World War II. At the same time, the nation embraced
      the use of increasingly available synthetic fertilizers, pesticides and
      herbicides. Today, as the numbers and financial strength of organic
      growers increase, a handful of small seed companies and the occasional
      university researcher are responding to the need for varieties bred not
      only to withstand but also to flourish in organic gardens and fields.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/08/28/HOGHV8E6EE1.DTL

      TRACKING THE CORPORATE TAKEOVERS IN THE ORGANIC INDUSTRY: "A thoughtful
      question came in from an observer of the natural foods industry regarding
      my article in the July-August Cooperative Grocer, "Reclaiming the True
      Meaning of Organic." She wanted to know about some of the corporate
      ownership stakes in familiar organic brands. Are megacorporations,
      including Heinz, General Foods, Dean, Campbell's, and others, simply acting
      as investors, holding minority equity positions in independent
      corporations, or do they actually own, control, and set policy, for some of
      the biggest names in organic food?

      Dean Foods, the largest milk bottler in the United states, with 29,000
      employees and sales in excess of $9 billion, purchased White Wave and
      Horizon over the past two-and-a-half years. Dean has lopped off some of
      the upper management at Horizon and has brought in a new corporate team.
      The labeling on Silk or Horizon brand products will not allude to their
      corporate ownership and will not talk about their 3,000-4,000 cow "organic"
      farms or soybeans imported from Brazil. Consumers looking for true
      integrity and authenticity are handicapped, while retail buyers have the
      opportunity to help discerning purchase decisions.

      The Cornucopia Institute has suggested that measuring corporate behavior in
      terms of organic integrity should be scale neutral. Operating 2,000-5,000
      cow factory farms, scoffing at the federal law requiring pasture, or
      importing vegetables from China with dubious environmental pedigrees are
      unacceptable, whether the products are generated by a large international
      corporation or a mom-and-pop enterprise. Corporations that truly subscribe
      to maintaining a high standard for organics, as opposed to paying lip
      service, should be applauded and welcomed as part of our community."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/takeovers091004.cfm

      SURVEY DETAILS ORGANIC FARMERS' WORK: (08/15/04): "Many say they rely on a
      direct connection with consumers to stay in business: From alfalfa to oats
      to wine grapes, prices for organic produce and products have held steady
      for more than half of the nation's organic farmers, and more than a quarter
      said they are seeing prices inch up, a new survey shows. But about 27
      percent also predicted falling prices, as more farmers, including big
      businesses, try to grab a share of the sector's success, according to the
      survey by the Santa Cruz-based Organic Farming Research Foundation.

      More than 1,000 growers - roughly 16 percent of the country's certified
      organic farmers - were queried on a variety of subjects related to the
      fast-growing, $ 9 billion marketplace, including genetically modified
      organisms. The survey gives "an incredibly detailed snapshot of a tough,
      hard, but generally profitable way to farm," said Bob Scowcroft, the
      foundation's executive director.... many of those surveyed say they rely on
      a direct connection with consumers to stay in business, with 79 percent of
      them unloading products within 100 miles of their farms, and a majority of
      them using word of mouth as their main marketing tool. Unlike conventional
      agriculture, the organic marketplace boasts that flexibility because it
      attracts customers who are willing to pay more for products they trust from
      a grower they know."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/prices.cfm

      RECYCLING WOOD WASTE FROM HURRICANES: (09/01/04): "Green Energy
      Resources, Inc. a wood biomass supply company, reports it has reiterated
      the call to Southeastern States to process tropical storm/ hurricane storm
      tree damage into woodchip form. Traditional disposal methods are to dump
      and burn the wood waste. Chipping turns the storm-damaged wood into a
      marketable commodity that is used as a renewable energy source (biomass).
      Proceeds of the product sales can be recouped by states, counties and towns
      directly benefiting taxpayers. Storms can produce enough wood to power all
      of the biomass and coal plants in the US and Europe for about a year. State
      economies receive additional benefit through export shipments of the
      biomass by creating jobs as well bringing in millions of dollars to states."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/9/prwebxml153792.php

      *10: Upcoming Events of Special Note
      WFAD: WORLD FARM ANIMALS DAY: OCTOBER 2ND, 2004:
      This year's observance is headlined by a distinguished National Council.
      Television and film stars Casey Kasem, Mary Tyler Moore, Ed Asner, Jennie
      Garth, Bill Maher, Rue McClanahan, and James Cromwell make up the National
      Council of World Farm Animals Day. Join them as they speak out on behalf
      of animals. Is there an event in your area? Check out the WFAD events
      directory. Why not leaflet or host an information table? We provide the
      materials, you provide a few hours and a lot of heart. Every event, large
      or small, counts... and we want your city to be included. Find out more and
      register your plans so you can receive your FREE Action Kit. You can
      register online or by phone at 888-FARMUSA. http://www.wfad.org

      Sep 26: San Francisco, CA > SF Vegetarian Society
      Sep 27: Portland, Oregon > "AM Northwest TV," and KBOO radio (both tentative)
      Sep 28: Portland, Oregon > 7 pm. - First Unitarian Church, 12th & Main

      Oct 12: Harrisburg, PA > 6:30 pm - Vegetarian Society and SDA Church
      Oct 15: Malibu, CA > Health Conf.

      [More details and contact info at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *12: Quick Bytes
      AGRICULTURE:
      ["Can Organics Save the Family Farm?:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/save090604.cfm

      ANIMAL ISSUES:
      [Information about Tom Regan's New Book: Empty Cages:
      http://www.tomregan-animalrights.com/

      [Information on Products from and Tested On Animals:
      http://www.caringconsumer.com/

      ["Protecting Greyhounds Nationwide:" (info/campaign)
      http://www.grey2kusa.org/

      ["Over 10,000 related links!"
      http://www.animalsvoice.com/PAGES/home.html

      DIET/HEALTH:
      [Dr. McDougall on Persistent Organic Pollutants in your Body & Food:
      http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/2004nl/040800pucesspool.htm

      ["Atkins diet has long-term dangers, researchers warn:"
      http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/story.jsp?story=557740

      [New Book of Essays: "The Heart of Healing" (w/ Ornish, Weil, and others):
      http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/8/prwebxml152979.php

      [General info on Omega 3:
      http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84

      ["List of 10 Synthetic Chemicals to Avoid in Body Care Products:"
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/ocalist090604.cfm

      ENVIRONMENT:
      ["Businesses urged to curb thirst for water:"
      http://www.enn.com/news/2004-09-09/s_26720.asp

      ["China to restrict grazing on natural grassland:"
      http://www.animalconcerns.org/external.html?www=http%3A//english1.peopledaily.co
      m.cn/200409/11/eng20040911_156673.html&itemid=200409110524500.779432

      ["Mexico, U.S. officials take first step to clean up mountains of old tires
      at border:"
      http://www.enn.com/news/2004-09-10/s_27111.asp

      FOOD BORNE ILLNESSES:
      ["ConAgra Foods recalls chicken:"
      http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=Recall%
      20Chicken

      ["Meat Co. Recalls Beef Patties, Steaks Sold Across U.S.:"
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=R5HZY2MRA5MP4CRBAEOCFEY?type
      =domesticNews&storyID=6045652

      ONLINE INFO:
      [Dr. Michael Greger's Monthly Newsletter:
      http://www.veganmd.org/september2004.html

      [International Vegetarian Union Newsletter:
      http://www.ivu.org/news/index.html

      [Materials for "Save Our Students" School Lunch Program Campaign:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos.htm

      [FARM's "MeatOut Mondays" Newsletter:
      http://www.meatout.org/MeatoutMondays/

      RECIPES:
      [Over 10,000 veg'n recipe links:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VegRecipes.html

      [The Vegan Table: Recipes, Tips, Vegan-related Info:
      http://veggietable.allinfo-about.com/recipes/veganrecipes.html

      [Vegan Zucchini Recipes from the Amazing Bryanna Grogan:
      http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/837124.htm

      [Vegan Cookie Cutter Recipes:
      http://www.veganstreet.com/veganliving/recipes026.html

      [Very Good Online Index of Vegan Cookie Recipes:
      http://vegetarian.about.com/cs/dessert/a/vegancookies.htm

      [Vegan Holiday Cookie and Treats Recipes:
      http://www.veganchef.com/dec_7_2000.htm

      [Vegan Village Recipes:
      http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes/mains.htm

      VEG'N-RELATED:
      [Excellent Collection of Vegan-related Health Articles:
      http://www.veganhealth.org/

      [Dietician Brenda Davis on "B-12:"
      http://www.vegfamily.com/brenda-davis/tip1.htm

      [The Vegetarian Museum Website:
      http://www.vegetarianmuseum.com/

      *13: Closing Thought(s)
      "For me, the first thing that I'd take out [of my diet] is dairy products.
      The 2nd thing is: chicken. "Chicken? Are you sure?" How many of you
      realize in factory chicken operations today they have a machine that sucks
      spent laying hens out of their cages into a grinder and grinds them up live
      so that they can feed them back to other chickens? In factory operations
      today, they collect the manure and feed it back to the chickens.

      ...gives a whole new meaning to "finger lickin' good.""

      --- Howard Lyman (in the "A Mad Cowboy Lecture" DVD)

      "Is it hopelessly unrealistic to imagine a day when fur coats will follow
      whalebone corsets into fashion oblivion, when slaughterhouses will exist
      only in history books, and when all the scientific laboratories of the
      world will have a sign over their entrances proclaiming No Animals Allowed?
      Those who are pessimistic about the moral possibilities of humanity will
      answer yes. But those who believe in the human capacity for good, as I do,
      will answer no. Not in my lifeime, perhaps, but someday surely, ARAs
      [Animal Rights Advocates] will be on hand to witness the triump of animal
      rights, the happy day when, after years of struggle, all the cages will be
      empty."

      --- Dr. Tom Regan, (p. 197, "Empty Cages."