08_19_04: "Empty Cages" Interview, Ultrasonic Squirrels, & Deadly Kebabs

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2004
      Howdy! Welcome to the 40th Edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter!

      Howard was so impressed with Dr. Tom Regan's new book, "Empty Cages," the
      he decided that a new Mad Cowboy Interview was in order. This edition of
      the Newsletter has not only excerpts from the interview, but a link to
      Parts 01 and 02. They cover an overview of Animal Rights concepts and
      controversies, his new book, as well as more of the personal side of Tom.
      The final two parts of the interview, focussed primarily on the book, will
      be available for the next newsletter.

      But, that's not all... reading further down you learn about which fruits,
      vegetables, and legumes (!) have the highest concentration of antioxidants,
      why the American Heart Association recommends fresh veggies/fruits and not
      antioxidant pills, a new survey about the cost of fresh produce compared to
      Fad diets like Atkins, and a 72-year old veg'n marathon runner.

      There's also a disturbing study about the sudden rise in brain diseases and
      relationship to what we breathe, eat, and live around, how India plans to
      go organic, and what environmental damage is being done via our lawns.
      You'll read about a shy moose, gorilla dentistry, laugh at some cartoons,
      know that ultrasonics are used by squirrels, and how hungry bugs promote
      plant diversity.

      Finally, there's an explanation as to why the recent coverage of "high
      carbs and breast cancer" is deceitful, and a new study that shows switching
      to a vegan diet has been proven to be easier than thought.

      ...and as always, a tip of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all can read
      past issues at:

      Best wishes to everyone, stay cool, and check out Bryanna's Vegan Pesto
      Recipes in the "Quick Bytes" section below.

      Mark

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quotes of Note
      01: A New Mad Cowboy Interview with Dr. Tom Regan
      03: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      04: Best Antioxidant Sources, Pills NOT, Produce Cheap, $$Atkins
      05: Pollution/Brain Diseases, Organic Advances, Green Lawns
      06: Deadly Kebab, Shy Moose, Dogs vs Cats, Cartoons
      07: Ultrasonic Squirrel, Gorilla Dentistry, Hungry Bugs, Frozen Ark
      08: High Carb/Cancer Deceit, 'Protein Power," Switch to Veg Easy
      09: Upcoming Events of Special Note
      10: Howard's Schedule
      11: Quick Bytes
      12: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Quotes of Note
      "While traveling over one million miles in my life as an activist I have
      met some of the most remarkable people on the face of the earth. I have
      decided we'd interview some of these folks from time to time so the readers
      of the Mad Cowboy newsletter will get a chance to understand what giants
      they are.

      This group is as diverse as anyone could imagine. They are young and old,
      female and male, quiet and outspoken, foreign and American, every color and
      religion under the sun. The common denominator for this group is they are
      my friends."

      --- Howard, 01/21/03

      *01: A New Mad Cowboy Interview with Dr. Tom Regan
      [Dr. Tom Regan is professor emeritus of philosophy at North Carolina State
      University in Raleigh. The author of more than 20 books, and he is
      universally recognized as the intellectual leader of the animal rights
      movement. His latest book is: "Empty Cages."]

      INTERVIEW EXCERPTS:

      MS: "You were a butcher?"

      TR: "I...(pause)... was a butcher... I mean I sliced and diced, and packed,
      sawed... their cold flesh gave way to my cold will. I didn't find
      butchering bloody, I found it bloody hard... it was hard work at times. I
      was so blind to animal consciousness, that even when I had held the victim
      in my hands, the victim was invisible."

      MS: "It must be shocking for you to look back and realize how much you are
      a different person now."

      TR: "... I do say, often and sincerely, that if Tom Regan can become an
      animal rights advocate, anybody can become an animal rights advocate. When
      I had the victims in my hand and I didn't see the victims... my god, you
      can't get any further back into the darkness than I was."

      ON EXTREMISM:

      MS: "One of the things that intrigued me in your book, is that right up
      front you deal with this issue of how "animal rights advocates" (which you
      call ARAs) are deemed 'extremists' or 'practitioners of extremism.' Can you
      summarize how you approach clearing up these misconceptions?"

      TR: "'Extremism' is an ambiguous concept because it can mean different
      things. ... [edit] ...to some, 'extremism' can mean that you have a
      position that is unqualifiedly opposed to something. In this sense, you can
      say, "are you against rape some of the time, most of the time, or all of
      the time?" "Well, I'm against rape all of the time." Well, then you're an
      extremist when it comes to rape: you have an unqualified moral opposition
      to it. Or extremist when it comes to child abuse, "are you against child
      abuse some of the time, most of the time, all of the time."

      DISCONNECT DICTUM:

      MS: "You've coined the term "Disconnect Dictum" referring to these [animal]
      industries and the treatment of animals. Can you expand on this?"

      TR: "Sure.... what I mean by that, is there's a disconnect between the
      meaning of what they say and the actual things they do. I'll just talk
      about "humane" for example. "Humane" is a word; it has a meaning. You can
      look it up. You can go to the dictionary. "Showing mercy and kindness....
      consideration and sympathy." That's what it means to be in favor of humane
      treatment, and who could be against that? Everyone's for being humane to
      other human beings and to other animals. So, we go and look at people in
      biomedical research, for example, saying, "we support the humane care and
      responsible use of animals." So "humane" means they're going to show
      kindness, they're going to show mercy, they're going to show sympathy,
      they're going to show compassion. And then you say "well, what do they
      actually do?"

      Well, what they do is they blind animals, they crush their limbs, they
      crush their organs, they subject them to radiation, they deprive them of
      sleep, they deprive them of food, they drown them, they burn them.... how
      in God's name can any of this be "humane?"

      "SUBJECTS-IN-A-LIFE"

      MS: "How does the concept of a biography not a biology fit into this debate?"

      TR: "The central question in the animal rights debate is whether any other
      animals are like us being "subjects-in-a-life," whether any other animals
      are in the world, aware of the world, aware of what happens to them, and
      what happens to them matters matters to them. That's the fundamental
      question, and the answer to that is "yes," then we have made the case for
      "animal rights," in my judgment.

      [You can read Parts 01 and 02 of the interview, and access related web
      resources at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_MCIview03.000.html

      LAST WEEK'S MIND-BENDER:
      "Which country has the MOST television sets (total)?"

      Congratulations to Krista Bobick, as being the only person to correctly
      guess "China."

      [The stats:
      http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/med_tel

      THIS WEEK'S MAD COWBOY VEGAN MIND-BENDER:
      "Which of these four countries has the highest number of threatened mammal
      species?

      Brazil China India Indonesia

      (Hint: the same country has the most mammalian species...)

      Please e-mail guesses to: webmaster@... with the word "contest"
      in your subject line by NLT Sept 1st, 2004.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the
      correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you
      can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *03: Mad Cow Info Round-up
      BEEF GROUPS TO PRESS USDA FOR PRIVATE BSE TESTS: (07/23/04): "A group of
      U.S. cattle industry producers and companies plans to petition the U.S.
      Department of Agriculture for the right to test all their cattle for mad
      cow disease to comply with demands by Asian customers who currently are
      refusing to buy U.S. beef. The group includes Creekstone Farms Premium
      Beef, a Kansas meat-packing plant, and Missouri-based Gateway Beef
      Cooperative, both of which have been banned by the USDA from testing their
      cattle.

      "A lawsuit is definitely an option," said Bill Bullard, chief executive
      officer of R-CALF United Stockgrowers of America, one member of the budding
      coalition challenging the USDA. But the USDA has refused, and it has
      refused to allow for private companies to buy the test kits that would
      enable them to test 100 percent of their herds... the USDA has said that
      only animals displaying certain characteristics should be tested and 100
      percent testing would set an improper and costly standard that could hurt
      companies that don't test their presumably health animals."

      [Edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=594&ncid=594&e=10&u=/nm/20040723
      /hl_nm/madcow_testing_dc

      SECOND CJD CASE FROM TRANSFUSION: (07/23/04): "The first strong evidence
      that the human form of BSE might strike a wider group of people than those
      affected so far was revealed yesterday as the [UK] Department of Health
      announced that the disease could have been spread for the second time
      through a blood transfusion. The deadly rogue form of the prion protein
      linked to the disease was found in the spleen of a patient who died from an
      unrelated cause but had received blood from a donor who later developed
      variant CJD.

      The genetic signature in this person was different from the one found in
      the 142 patients who have died from vCJD in Britain. The patient, who
      received blood in 1999, had displayed no symptoms of vCJD but it is unclear
      how advanced the infection was. Scientists are also uncertain whether vCJD
      causes the same symptoms in different genetic groups, and say incubation
      may sometimes be longer than that for CJD.

      Graham Steel, vice-chairman of the Human BSE Foundation, said: "This raises
      the stakes with regard to the issue of secondary transmission." The latest
      estimates suggest about 3,800 people might eventually get the disease and
      more research is under way. Yet deaths from vCJD, which began in 1995, have
      been falling. Only three infected Britons have died so far this year, with
      five still alive."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1267385,00.html

      USDA BLAMES CANADA FOR BURGER RECALL: (07/28/04): "A Pennsylvania meat
      company voluntarily recalled 170,000 pounds of hamburger patties that
      contained Canadian beef products prohibited under safeguards against mad
      cow disease, the U.S. Agriculture Department said on Wednesday. The USDA
      said the recalled products from Quaker Maid Meats, Inc., a privately-owned
      business, was allowed into the United States after a Canadian meat
      inspector improperly labeled a shipment of 41,000 pounds of beef. The beef
      was later used by Quaker Maid to produce 170,000 pounds of hamburger.

      "This is a mistake made in Canada," USDA Undersecretary Elsa Murano told
      reporters. "This does not pose any risk to human health." The USDA said it
      will review Canada's food safety inspection system this fall. "Obviously,
      we will make sure that this kind of incident ... doesn't happen again,"
      Murano said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=4G2UVHXMDNIP0CRBAE0CFEY?type
      =domesticNews&storyID=5802716

      NIH TO SHUT DOWN MAD COW LAB: (07/28/04): "The U.S. government laboratory
      credited with conducting groundbreaking work on human brain disorders
      similar to mad cow disease soon will be shut down, United Press
      International has learned. The lab -- known officially as the Laboratory
      for Central Nervous System Studies at the National Institutes of Health in
      Bethesda, Md. -- has been relatively inactive for the past several years
      and will come to a complete halt at the end of the week.

      A panel of 12 experts assembled by the Institute of Medicine agreed with
      [lab director] Brown on the importance of keeping an in-house TSE lab
      operating at the NIH. Brown's research helped demonstrate the nearly
      indestructible nature of prions. In one controversial experiment, he took a
      sample of prion-containing tissue home with him and buried it in a flower
      pot in his backyard. The agent was still infectious when he dug it up three
      years later. The CNSS lab was instrumental in the 1960's in showing a rare
      and fatal brain disease known as kuru that occurred in the Fore people in
      New Guinea was infectious. The work won the lab's first director, Carleton
      Gajdusek, a Nobel prize in 1976 and helped pave the way for discovering
      that prions are involved in causing TSEs."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040727-020751-7281r

      U.S. MAD COW TESTING CRITICIZED: (07/29/04): "Calls for widespread
      testing of the nation's beef supply have stretched from Tokyo to Arkansas
      City, Kansas, after the United States detected its first-ever case of "mad
      cow disease" in December. Still, the U.S. government has refused to
      support widespread testing of the nation's cattle herds. Instead, the
      Agriculture Department has launched a limited voluntary testing program
      that its own inspector general said may be scientifically invalid.

      Critics are also accusing the government of favoring big businesses that
      oppose extensive testing, at the expense of small cattle companies that
      back it. "It is truly a mess," said Thomas McGarity, who teaches food
      safety law at the University of Texas and heads the Center for Progressive
      Regulation think tank. But the U.S. Department of Agriculture says
      widespread testing is unnecessary. Its new "surveillance" program, expected
      to cost taxpayers $70 million, aims to test about 270,000 animals in the
      next 18 months, compared with about 35 million slaughtered annually."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/07/29/us.madcow.testing.reut/index.html

      LAB CREATES SYNTHETIC, INFECTIOUS PRION: (07/30/04): "California
      scientists say they have created the first synthetic version of a rogue
      protein called a prion and used it to give mice a brain-destroying
      infection, evidence important to settling any lingering doubt these
      mysterious substances alone cause mad cow disease and similar illnesses.
      The report, published Thursday, won't end the scientific controversy, as
      skeptics already are criticizing the research.

      But if the work ultimately is validated it could have far-reaching
      implications -- such as helping to create diagnostic tests for mad cow
      disease. It also could help explain why normal brain proteins suddenly go
      bad and sicken some people who've never eaten mad cow-tainted food. The
      work marks "a renaissance in prion research," said Dr. Stanley Prusiner of
      the University of California, San Francisco, who won a Nobel Prize for
      discovering prions and whose laboratory developed the synthetic version.
      "It opens huge new vistas that were previously inaccessible," he said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/07/30/syntheticprotein.ap/

      BSE/MAD COW DISEASE CRISIS PROVOKES TRADE WAR: (08/02/04): "The World
      Organisation for Animal Health (OIE, Organisation Internationale des
      Epizooties) has blamed the "recent international trade disruptions" on "the
      apparent misinterpretation of BSE standards or the failure to implement
      these standards" by governments involved in the cattle and beef trade. The
      OIE has issued standards designed to reduce the spread of BSE via trade
      using a risk assessment that counts the number of BSE cases found in a
      country and the controls used to prevent the spread of the disease.

      Of more concern are reports from scientists that there may be different
      types of BSE-like diseases in cattle that could produce other fatal brain
      diseases. Italian researchers have identified a brain pattern in two cows
      that is different from the traditional BSE one and French and Japanese
      scientists have also discovered atypical cases. An additional worry is
      that the fatal sheep disease scrapie could be masking BSE. If this proves
      correct most of the UK flock would have to be slaughtered."

      [Heavily edited from the comprehensive article at:
      http://www.envirolink.org/external.html?itemid=200408020701110.91575

      NO MAD COW TESTS FOR NEARLY 500 COWS: (08/11/04): "The U.S. Department of
      Agriculture failed to test for mad cow disease or collect the correct
      portion of the brain on nearly 500 suspect cows over the past two years --
      including some in categories considered most likely to be infected --
      according to agency records obtained by United Press International. The
      testing problems mean it may never be known with certainty whether these
      animals were infected with the deadly disease. Department officials said
      these animals were not included in the agency's final tally of mad cow
      tests, but the records, obtained by UPI under the Freedom of Information
      Act, indicate at least some of them were counted.

      Consumer groups say the untested cows are evidence of further problems with
      the USDA's surveillance plan. "This adds to the clear documentation in the
      Inspector General's report that the program is in shambles, from its design
      to its implementation to its record keeping," Dr. Peter Lurie, deputy
      director of Public Citizen's Health Research Group in Washington told UPI.
      Lurie testified about problems with the USDA's surveillance plan at a
      congressional hearing last month."

      [Heavily edited from from the very detailed and disturbing article at:
      http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040810-042935-2066r

      *04: Best Antioxidant Sources, Pills NOT, Produce Cheap, $$ Atkins
      BERRIES, BEANS TOP 'BEST ANTIOXIDANTS LIST': (06/28/04): "
      A variety of veggies, fruits and nuts battled it out this month for the top
      spot on a new list of the 20 most antioxidant-rich foods, ranked by
      nutrition scientists at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). In the
      end, small red beans won the day, narrowly beating out wild blueberries as
      the food with the highest concentration of disease-fighting compounds per
      serving. Antioxidants fight damage to cells from rogue molecules called
      "free radicals." Experts believe this assault on cells may fuel killer
      diseases such as heart disease and cancer, and even aging itself. Their
      Top 20:

      1. Small red beans (dried). 2. Wild blueberries. 3. Red Kidney beans. 4.
      Pinto beans. 5. Blueberries (cultivated). 6. Cranberries. 7. Artichokes
      (cooked). 8. Blackberries. 9. Prunes. 10. Raspberries. 11. Strawberries.
      12. Red Delicious apples. 13. Granny Smith apples. 14. Pecans. 15. Sweet
      cherries. 16. Black plums. 17. Russet potatoes (cooked). 18. Black beans
      (dried). 19. Plums. 20. Gala apples"

      [Very edited from:
      http://health.discovery.com/news/healthscout/article.jsp?aid=519693&tid=19

      [USDA "5 A Day" Campaign:
      http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/5ADay/campaign/color/index.htm

      [Study: "Lipophilic and Hydrophilic Antioxidant Capacities of Common Foods
      in the United States:" J. Agric. Food Chem.; 2004; 52(12); 4026-4037:
      http://pubs3.acs.org/acs/journals/toc.page?incoden=jafcau&indecade=0&involume=52
      &inissue=12

      GET ANTIOXIDANTS FROM FOOD, NOT PILLS: AHA: (08/02/04): "Despite some
      reports that antioxidant vitamins have cardiovascular benefits, a panel of
      experts at the American Heart Association (AHA) has concluded that there is
      too little evidence to recommend taking antioxidant supplements to reduce
      the risk of heart disease. Instead the AHA panel advises the public to get
      plenty of antioxidants from food sources, such as fruits, vegetables, whole
      grains and nuts.

      "We know that diets high in fruits and vegetables are associated with
      decreased risk of cardiovascular disease," lead panel Dr. Penny M.
      Kris-Etherton of Pennsylvania State University said in a press release.
      "Thus, following a diet consistent with the American Heart Association's
      dietary guidelines is recommended." Antioxidants, including vitamins C and
      E and beta-carotene, target a process called oxidation in which
      cell-damaging substances called free radicals accumulate. Oxidation is
      suspected of increasing the risk of several diseases, including heart
      disease."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=5849952

      [Circulation: 110:637-641: " Antioxidant Vitamin Supplements and
      Cardiovascular Disease:"
      http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/110/5/637

      USDA STUDY INDICATES PRICE NO REASON TO AVOID PRODUCE: (08/01/04): "A
      government study found that though many people say cost prevents them from
      eating more produce, consumers can get the recommended three servings of
      fruits and four servings of vegetables daily for just 64 cents. That would
      account for 12 percent of daily food spending per person, which averaged
      $5.50 in 1999.

      "That's a lot of good nutrition for only 64 cents, only 225 calories and
      less than 1 gram of fat," said the study by the U.S. Department of
      Agriculture. "That leaves 88 percent of their food dollar left for the
      other three food groups." The study, which is based on information
      collected by A.C. Nielsen from 7,195 homes in 1999, looked at how consumers
      spent nearly $223 billion at supermarkets, other retail stores and farmers'
      markets. It did not include restaurants.

      More than three-quarters of the fruits and vegetables included in the study
      cost less than 50 cents a serving. "That's 127 different ways to eat a
      serving of fruits and vegetables for less than the price of a 3-ounce candy
      bar," the study said. The study rated produce by cost-per-serving. Among
      fresh vegetables, peas cost the most, at 91 cents per serving. Cabbage and
      potatoes were the least, at 4 cents and 6 cents respectively. For fresh
      fruit, blackberries topped the list at 66 cents per serving, followed by
      raspberries at 64 cents. Watermelon and apples tied for least expensive, at
      11 cents."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2004/08/01/diet_usda_stu
      dy_indicates_price_no_reason_to_avoid_produce/

      [The Report from the USDA:
      http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/aib790/

      CAN ONLY THE RICH AFFORD TO BE THIN?: (05/02/04): "Using exclusive data
      from AC Nielsen and menus from the best-selling diet books, [food prices
      expert Phil] Lempert calculates that strict adherence to the low-carb, meat
      lovers' Atkins diet would cost about $100 a week (presuming you eat all
      meals at home). The salmon-rich South Beach diet priced out at almost $90 a
      week. Too expensive for you? Make substitutions Some experts with the
      Atkins and South Beach diets say there are ways to pare down the cost of
      following those plans, although it may require eating the same foods more
      often.

      And no matter what diet you're on, whether one of the trendy plans or a
      more tradional weight-loss program, it probably will be less expensive if
      you cook at home. "You can cook for so much less, and you can provide a
      much better diet for your family," says Marilyn Townsend, a nutrition
      specialist at the University of California-Davis. She blames some of
      Americans' weight problems on lack of cooking ability. Still, she concedes,
      given the pressures of earning a living and keeping a house, "cooking is
      not on many people's radar as a valuable skill."

      [Quite edited from:
      http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2004-05-02-diet-cover_x.htm

      *05: Pollution/Brain Diseases, Organic Advances, Green Lawns
      POLLUTANTS CAUSE HUGE RISE IN BRAIN DISEASES: (08/15/04): "The numbers of
      sufferers of brain diseases, including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and motor
      neurone disease, have soared across the West in less than 20 years,
      scientists have discovered. The alarming rise, which includes figures
      showing rates of dementia have trebled in men, has been linked to rises in
      levels of pesticides, industrial effluents, domestic waste, car exhausts
      and other pollutants, says a report in the journal Public Health.

      'This has really scared me,' said Professor Colin Pritchard of Bournemouth
      University, one of the report's authors. 'These are nasty diseases: people
      are getting more of them and they are starting earlier. We have to look at
      the environment and ask ourselves what we are doing.' The report, which
      Pritchard wrote with colleagues at Southampton University, covered the
      incidence of brain diseases in the UK, US, Japan, Australia, Canada,
      France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Spain in 1979-1997.

      The increases in neurological deaths mirror rises in cancer rates in the
      West. The team stresses that its figures take account of the fact that
      people are living longer and it has also made allowances for the fact that
      diagnoses of such ailments have improved. It is comparing death rates, not
      numbers of cases, it says. As to the cause of this disturbing rise,
      Pritchard said genetic causes could be ruled out because any changes to DNA
      would take hundreds of years to take effect. 'It must be the environment,'
      he said. The causes were most likely to be chemicals, from car pollution
      to pesticides on crops and industrial chemicals used in almost every aspect
      of modern life, from processed food to packaging, from electrical goods to
      sofa covers, Pritchard said. Food is also a major concern because it
      provides the most obvious explanation for the exclusion of Japan from many
      of these trends. Only when Japanese people move to the other countries do
      their disease rates increase."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,11381,1283588,00.html

      INDIA ORGANIC VISION 2020: (08/01/04): "Organic Farmers Organize to Save
      India's 700 Million Farmers and Rural Villagers: Country's growers engaged
      in organic farming are converging at Ramgarh village in Dehradun district
      in Uttaranchal for a two-day conference begining on August 2 for
      formulating an `India Organic Vision 2020.' The vision document will enable
      Indian farmers to successfully tap the $ 37 billion global market for
      organic foods.

      ...Dr Vandana Shiva of Navdanya said "we will work together to strengthen
      the solidarity among organic communities, identifying the strengths of the
      organic movement and the problems faced by organic growers. We will also
      set an India Organic Vision 2020. The objective of the Vision 2020 will be
      to put small and marginal farmers and organic farming at the centre of
      India's agriculture policy."

      The productivity of sugarcane crop is found to increase by 25 per cent
      through organic farming. Similarly the productivity of some cereal and
      horticulture crops increases on account of organic farming. Dr Shiva said
      that Indian agriculture is in a critical phase. More than 300 farmers
      committed suicide in just six weeks during May-June, 2004 in Andhra Pradesh
      and more than 25,000 farmers in the country in the last five years. The
      agricultural crisis is aggravated by unfair practices of trade
      liberalisation and globalisation and the consequences of deepening farmers
      debts, she said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=64918

      IOWA PRISON FARM GOING ORGANIC: (07/19/04): "In the future, as many as
      1,000 acres of prison farms throughout Iowa may be converted to organic
      crops, said Deputy Iowa Corrections Director Roger Baysden. "This is
      perfect for prisons," Baysden said. "What I have got is labor, and I can
      save money on the chemical side by putting inmates to work with hoes. That
      is what the public really wants to see anyway."

      [Inmate] Cook said working outdoors and doing farm chores is "100 percent
      better" than spending time in a prison cell. "You will probably see a lot
      less violence on prison farms like this than you will inside" the walls of
      a prison, Cook said. "This is well-organized. Everybody gets along just
      fine here. You can keep your mind straight on something. There is nothing
      negative."

      ... Iowa's prisons maintain huge gardens that last year produced more than
      900,000 pounds of tomatoes, onions, carrots, squash and other vegetables.
      The produce is served fresh in prison dining halls or stored for
      consumption over the fall and winter. "

      [Edited from:
      http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040719/NEWS01/40719032
      8/1002

      MORE LAWNS GO GREEN, ORGANICALLY: (08/10/04): "From snowy New England to
      the desert Southwest, Americans have planted 30 million acres of grass
      lawn. Each weekend in the summertime, an estimated 54 million people mow
      their lawns, consuming 800 million gallons of gasoline a year. The U.S.
      Environmental Protection Agency estimates that gasoline-powered landscape
      equipment - mowers, trimmers, blowers and chainsaws - account for more than
      5 percent of urban air pollution.

      As much as two-thirds of urban freshwater is used to water lawns in some
      cities. And Americans annually apply 70 million pounds of pesticides to
      home lawns, trees and shrubs every year, roughly 10 times more per acre
      than is used on farms. Nitrates and phosphates from lawn and garden
      fertilizers pollute the water table, leading to algal blooms that choke the
      oxygen from ponds and lakes.

      There are signs, however, of a growing movement toward more eco-friendly
      lawn care and gardening. Suburbanites are packing organic-gardening classes
      and an increasing number of landscapers advertise themselves as
      specializing in organic landscaping and the use of native plant species.
      "The larger companies like Home Depot and Lowe's are now offering
      alternative pesticides. It used to be you could only find them at small
      garden stores or through mail-order catalogues or on Web sites," said Lori
      Ward of the National Wildlife Federation. "I definitely think there's a
      trend."

      [Very edited from (free registration required):
      http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/national/article/0,1406,KNS_350_3100387,00.html

      *06: Deadly Kebab, Shy Moose, Dogs vs Cats, Cartoons
      NEW KEBAB DUBBED MOST DANGEROUS U.K. FOOD: (08/09/04): ""The Stonner", a
      1,000-calorie, deep fried pork sausage kebab has been dubbed the most
      dangerous fast food in Britain. Sky News reported Monday the kebab contains
      46 grams of fat and is double the calories of a Big Mac hamburger.

      However, the Ruby Chip Shop in Glasgow, Scotland, that sells the kebab has
      provided a health warning to customers: "Due to the severe health damage of
      this fine dish, we can only supply one Stonner supper per customer per
      week," reads the sign provided by the restaurant's owner, Saei Sangag.
      Neither the calories nor the health warning seems to be limiting the
      Stonner's sales"

      [Edited from:
      http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20040809-055045-1297r.htm

      THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DOGS AND CATS: (01/29/01): "A dog thinks: "Hey,
      these people I live with feed me, love me, provide me with a nice warm, dry
      house, pet me, and take good care of me... They must be gods!"

      A cat thinks: "Hey, these people I live with feed me, love me, provide me
      with a nice warm, dry house, pet me, and take good care of me... I must be
      a god!"

      [Edited from:
      http://www.all-creatures.org/humor/dogcatdiff.html

      SHY MOOSE GIVEN ASSERTIVENESS TRAINING: (07/09/04): "A Dutch zoo has
      given a shy young moose assertiveness training to help him fit in with the
      herd. Emmen Zoo recently bought Kenwood the moose from a zoo in Toronto,
      reports De Telegraaf. But when he was put in the moose enclosure he was
      immediately bullied by a female called Winya. "She ran after Kenwood and
      kicked and bit him wherever she could. And although Kenwood is much bigger
      than her, he let it all happen." Kooi decided to take Kenwood out of the
      enclosure and put him in a barn with a big, friendly moose called Icmu to
      give him more self-confidence. And, by the time Kenwood was ready to take
      his place again with the herd in the enclosure, he was a different moose.
      Kooi added: "When Winya ran to him to give him a kick, he immediately
      kicked her back. Ever since Kenwood has gained respect from her."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1015954.html?menu=news.quirkies.animaltales

      RABBIT-PROOF LETTUCE:
      http://www.goma.demon.co.uk/genetics/lettuce.html

      WATERING PLANTS:
      http://www.goma.demon.co.uk/garden/waterinrain.html

      FLOWER APPRECIATION GUIDE:
      http://www.goma.demon.co.uk/garden/appreciation.html

      WHERE LEONARDO GOT ALL HIS IDEAS:
      http://www.goma.demon.co.uk/amazing/leonardo.html

      *07: Ultrasonic Squirrel, Gorilla Dentistry, Hungry Bugs, Frozen Ark
      ULTRASONIC SQUIRREL A MAMMALIAN FIRST: (07/29/04): "A species of squirrel
      uses ultrasonic frequencies to warn fellow members of its group of
      impending danger, the first time an animal has been found to use
      high-frequency sound this way, said a study published in the weekly journal
      Nature. The unusual rodent is a Richardson's ground squirrel (Spermophilus
      richardsonii), which makes its home in the prairies of North America.
      Canadian zoologists noted that in addition to making audible vocalizations
      in the eight kilohertz (kHz) range to other members of their community, the
      squirrels also made "whisper" calls to each other, which produced only
      faint sounds of rushing air.

      Analyzed closely, these calls turned out to be ultrasonic, in the 50 kHz
      range, placing them well beyond the hearing of humans and most predators,
      including coyotes. In addition, it was discovered that the calls were in
      the range of 66.8 decibels, which is the equivalent of a loud conversation
      among humans. The squirrels emit these high-frequency calls when they spot
      low-grade threats. For urgent threats, they make audible calls. The
      finding is of interest because it is the first time an animal has been
      found to use ultrasonic frequencies for communication. Other animals, such
      as bats and dolphins, use ultrasonic frequencies to locate obstacles or
      pursue prey."

      [Edited from:
      http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20040726/squirrel.html

      GORILLA SEEKS HELP USING SIGN LANGUAGE: (08/09/04): "When Koko the
      gorilla used the American Sign Language gesture for pain and pointed to her
      mouth, 12 specialists, including three dentists, sprang into action. The
      result? Her first full medical examination in about 20 years, an extracted
      tooth and a clean bill of health. About a month ago, Koko, a
      300-plus-pound ape who became famous for mastering more than 1,000 signs,
      began telling her handlers at the Gorilla Foundation in Woodside she was in
      pain.

      "She's quite articulate," volunteer Johnpaul Slater said. "She'll tell us
      how bad she's feeling, how bad the pain is. It looked like it was time to
      do something." The team came to Koko on Sunday, bringing portable X-ray
      and ultrasound machines. They set up shop at her "apartment," which looks
      like a remodeled box car, complete with a makeshift toilet, television, DVD
      player and lots of toys. After four hours of tests - including a
      colonoscopy, gynecological exam, dental work, X-rays, and ultrasounds -
      doctors pronounced her fit."

      [Edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=8&u=/ap/20040809/ap_on_re_
      us/koko_s_health

      HUNGRY BUGS PLAY ROLE IN TREE DIVERSITY: (07/29/04): "Insects chowing
      down on trees may not be such a bad thing after all, at least in tropical
      areas where they can help increase plant diversity. That's the conclusion
      of a new study that found insects help keep some faster-growing trees from
      taking over and driving out slower-growing trees, thus helping preserve the
      diversity of the forest.

      The report, by doctoral student Paul Fine and biology professor Phyllis
      Coley of the University of Utah, is being published in Friday's issue of
      the journal Science. "The battle between plants and insects increases the
      number of habitats in the rainforest," thus increasing the diversity of
      trees living there, Fine said in a statement. "A plant can't be extremely
      well-defended from insects and grow very fast," said Fine. "It's similar to
      why you can't have the heaviest, safest car and the fastest car."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5551232/

      BRITISH PROJECT PROTECTS ENDANGERED DNA: (07/27/04): "Britain's Frozen
      Ark project aimed at safeguarding genetic material from a variety of
      species boarded its first endangered passengers Monday, including an
      Arabian oryx, a spotted sea horse and a British field cricket. The Ark, a
      project by three British institutions, doesn't include any living animals,
      but hopes to collect frozen DNA and tissue specimens from thousands of
      endangered species. Like Noah, the scientists harbor hopes of repopulating
      the Earth.

      With some 10,000 species listed as in danger of extinction, the ark will
      fill quickly. The project will be guided by the World Conservation Union's
      red list of threatened species. Professor Bryan C. Clarke, a population
      geneticist at Nottingham University, said the project would not immediately
      save any species from extinction. "The Frozen Ark is not a conservation
      measure but rather a back-up plan for when all best conservation efforts
      have failed," Clarke said."

      [Edited from:
      http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040727/D8434D680.html

      *08: High Carb/Cancer Deceit, 'Protein Power," Switch to Veg Easy
      HIGH CARB DIET & BREAST CANCER - MORE DECEIT: (08/06/04): "Friday's
      (August 6, 2004) newspapers worldwide scared some people into believing
      there is further reason to follow the low-carb diet craze, with headlines
      like, "High carb diet linked to breast cancer - Study finds Mexican women
      who ate lots of carbohydrates twice as likely to get disease" (San
      Francisco Chronicle). According to this newspaper article, these women
      from Mexico City were getting their main carbohydrates from tortillas, soft
      drinks, and bread. You might think it is time to change your diet - as far
      away from what McDougall recommends as possible. Now is not the time for
      people to make the switch to Atkins or South Beach to save their breasts,
      but rather now is the time to sort out the undeniable truth.

      Confusion has been created - and I believe willfully so by reporters and
      researchers - by lumping highly processed foods, like sugars and refined
      flours, and natural carbohydrates, like starches (corn tortillas),
      vegetables and fruits, together. The only excuse for such obviously
      irresponsible reporting is that sensational headlines justifying people's
      bad habits sell newspapers and flatter the egos of researchers by providing
      them a moment in the spotlight. The truth, as mentioned much later in the
      article, is that the cancer-producing diet is one high in sodas and
      desserts, and lacking in insoluble fiber from whole grains, fruits and
      vegetables."

      [Very edited from Dr. McDougall's Newsletter at:
      http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/2004specialweekends/040810news.htm

      MARKETING 'PROTEIN POWER:' (08/05/03): "After 18 months of comprehensive
      research, on Wednesday Tyson Foods unveiled a new fully integrated
      marketing campaign with the theme, "Powered by Tyson." According to a
      company news release, the strategy is designed to recognize Tyson's
      position as the premier provider of protein by emphasizing the role meat
      protein plays in a healthy diet and highlighting the chicken, beef and pork
      products marketed under the Tyson brand. Its main message is "protein =
      energy = power," which is communicated with the slogan, "Tyson. Proudly
      Powering the World." The campaign will also feature two new promotional
      partnerships for Tyson with USA Gymnastics and the Crew Chief Club. Media
      spending for the campaign is estimated at $75 million over the next 12
      months. An official launch is set for August 30.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.meatingplace.com/DailyNews/pop.asp?ID=12820

      72-YEAR-OLD [VEG] MARATHON MAN: (08/01/04): "Fuelled by his love for
      sport and staunch determination, a 72-year-old Indian athlete continues to
      make waves in the international marathon races. Ashis Roy has amassed
      medals from 34 countries in his two-decade-long running career. His 63
      races have found a place in the Limca Book of Records, 2003, for the
      maximum number of marathons run by an Indian.

      After Roy retired from the Indian Air Force at 50, where he was a
      cardiologist, he started training for long distance running. Since then,
      there was no looking back for the man who hopes to complete 75 marathons
      before turning 75. "It is very important for me to keep perfectly fit. I
      run 12 km daily and 24 km on Sundays. I have even become a strict
      vegetarian for this purpose."

      [Edited from:
      http://in.news.yahoo.com/040801/43/2f9uh.html

      REPORT: SWITCHING TO VEGAN DIET EASY: (08/05/04): "Making the switch from
      a regular meat-and-dairy diet to an all plant-based, vegan diet may be
      easier than it would seem, new research suggests. Among a group of
      overweight, postmenopausal women, most of those who followed a vegan diet
      -- which contains no animal products such as dairy, meat or eggs -- said
      they enjoyed the diet. Most women also said they were mostly or completely
      used to the vegan diet after 14 weeks, and planned to continue it, for the
      most part at least, in the future. Moreover, women eating only vegan foods
      lost an average of 13 pounds, more than women who followed a standard
      low-fat diet.

      Study author Dr. Neal D. Barnard of the Physicians Committee for
      Responsible Medicine in Washington, DC, explained that, for many people,
      giving up meat and animal products entirely is easier than trying to limit
      them as part of standard low-fat fare. "It's a little bit like quitting
      smoking," he said. "If I said to you, 'have one-half of a cigarette a day,'
      it's easier to quit." Another incentive for people to follow the vegan
      diet is that it works, he said. Study after study has shown that vegan
      diets can lower cholesterol and lead to as many health benefits as
      medications, Barnard explained."

      [Edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=571&ncid=751&e=4&u=/nm/20040805/
      hl_nm/diet_vegan_dc

      [Study: Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation. 24(4):229-235,
      July/August 2004
      http://www.jcrjournal.com/pt/re/jcardiorehab/abstract.00008483-200407000-00004.h
      tm;jsessionid=Bg4P3y1nyGKlY9ZfltDppIV32JAipX6sTTz1RDG1S0eXLqxKR6Mq!1305525459!-9
      49856031!9001!-1

      *09: Upcoming Events of Special Note
      RICHMOND VEGETARIAN FESTIVAL 2004: August 29, 2004, from Noon to 5 p.m. at
      the Azalea Gardens of Bryan Park, rain or shine. The event is free and open
      to the public, providing free food, expert advice, and live entertainment
      for people of all ages. Nonprofit and humane organizations such as Prevent
      A Litter, Siamese Cat Rescue, and Central Virginia Greyhounds will offer
      information about their respective issues.

      The festival is provided by Compassion Action for Animals, the Vegetarian
      Society of Richmond, Natural Awakenings, Ellwood ThompsonÂ’ Style Weekly,
      Diversity Thrift, Vegan Action, Panda Garden, and the Virginia Organizing
      Project. http://www.veggiefest.org, contact Christopher at 262-8507 or
      info@....

      EMPTY CAGES: 19th Annual International Compassionate Living Festival.
      October 1-3 at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, Research
      Triangle Park, NC. This conference will bring together artists, eminent
      scholars, movement leaders, and grassroots activist. Vegan meals, an
      exhibit hall, and bookstore.
      http://www.cultureandanimals.org/

      Sep 11, 12, 13: Cleveland, Ohio > Journey Expo '04
      Sep 18: WashDC> Green Festival
      Sep 26: San Francisco, CA > SF Vegetarian Society
      Sep 27: Portland, Oregon > "AM Northwest TV," and KBOO radio (both tentative)
      Sep 28: Portland, Oregon > 7 pm. - First Unitarian Church, 12th & Main

      Oct 12: Harrisburg, PA > 6:30 pm - Vegetarian Society and SDA Church
      Oct 15: Malibu, CA > Health Conf.

      [More details and contact info at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *11: Quick Bytes
      AGRICULTURE:

      ["Least Toxic Control of Pests In the Home and Garden:"
      http://www.beyondpesticides.org/alternatives/factsheets/index.htm

      ["Deal to slash farm subsidies 'would end poverty for millions:"
      http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=546073

      ["Kitchen Gardening:"
      http://www.kitchengardeners.org/

      DIET/NUTRITION:

      ["A Comparison of Fruit and Vegetable Intake in 10 European Countries:"
      http://www.5aday.org/html/research/summaries.php

      ["Coffee - Pleasure and Pain:"
      http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/2004nl/040700pucoffee.htm

      ["Too Much Junk Food:"
      http://diet.fitness.msn.com/article/809359.armx

      ["Fructose Maybe Not So Natural...and Not So Safe:"
      http://www.nutritionreporter.com/fructose_dangers.html

      ["PCRM Launches Golden Carrot Award for Innovations in School Food Service:"
      http://www.pcrm.org/news/golden_carrot.html

      ENVIRONMENT:

      ["Climate Change--Clash of the Corporate Titans:"
      http://www.gristmagazine.com/books/books072104.asp?source=daily

      ["National Recycling Economic Information Project:"
      http://www.nrc-recycle.org/resources/rei/summary.htm

      ["Zero Waste:"
      http://www.grrn.org/zerowaste/index.html
      http://www.grrn.org/zerowaste/zerowaste_faq.html