04_01_15: Howard EXCLUSIVE, Mad Cow Round-up, Brain Rewards, High Steaks

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2004
      Howdy! Welcome to the 31st Edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter!

      ...and what an incredible New Year it's been already! Mad Cow Disease in
      the United States..... TAs such, the Mad Cowboy has been incredibly busy
      with interviews since 12/23/03, when BSE in a Holstein cow was announced by
      the USDA. Even so, Howard's taken the time to write down his thoughts on
      this predicted event as an exclusive, with his unique perspective on this
      turn of events.

      This is a SPECIAL ISSUE of our newsletter. Among other things, it is a
      little over twice the normal size, so we hope our many new subscribers will
      realize that usually the Newsletter is smaller. This issue is jam-packed
      with Mad Cow articles and information. Normally, we try for a balance
      between different topics, with some emphasis on one or more.

      Moving forward, you'll find a ton of information about various aspects of
      Mad Cow Disease, pertinent info on MC in the USA, BSE's history/chronology,
      what happened in Japan and Canada (and how it relates the the U.S.), on the
      somewhat confusing science behind BSE & co-topics, and facts & figures on
      the Economics of it all (and how this has impacted the Politics). Plus,
      there's a long list of links (Quick Bytes) on related writings and useful
      resources.

      Also in this edition, we've provided access to over 9000 online veg'n
      recipes, in addition to links on veg'n nutrition, diet, and lifestyle.
      Plus: don't miss the photo of the Mad Cowboy with a Mad Cow!

      As always, a nod of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all can read back
      issues of the Newsletter at:

      Next issue: pix of Howard being interviewed by the Tokyo Broadcasting
      System, and more.

      Finally, we wish everyone a happy (and healthier) New Year!

      Stay warm and informed.... Mark Editor/Webmaster

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: EXCLUSIVE: Howard on "Mad Cow in the U.S.A."
      02: A Mad Cow Round-up of Articles and Information:
      -MC World
      -MC Science
      -MC Economics
      -MC Politics
      -MC Related
      03: Brain Rewards, High Steaks, Come & Get It!, MC/Mad Cow
      04: Toxic Salmon, Keep Walking, Vegan Food Bank, Animal Talk
      05: Over 9000 Veg'n Recipes, +Nutrition & Resources Info
      06: Mad Cow Resources & Quick Bytes
      07: Howard's Schedule
      08: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      09: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: EXCLUSIVE: Howard on "Mad Cow in the U.S.A."
      "In 1990, when I first started talking about mad cow disease, I never
      thought that the USDA would risk the entire cattle industry to protect the
      profits of a few corporations. It seemed common sense that we had to quit
      feeding slaughter house waste to grass-eating animals. It is crazy to
      continue a practice that is unnatural, dangerous and which consumers find
      abhorrent. Every country dealing with the mad cow issue has learned that
      there are two things essential to restore consumer confidence. You have to
      quit feeding animals to your food animals and you must institute a wide
      spread program of testing. When mad cow disease destroyed the cattle
      industry in England it also caused the fall of the Tory Government. It was
      plain that lying to the consumers was a bad choice.

      North America acted like we were not part of the world and we could
      continue to deal with the pending disaster with press releases and loud
      pronouncements.

      In 2003 the bottom fell out for Canada when they confirmed their first
      home-grown case of mad cow. They tried to assure a nervous importing
      community that there was only one mad cow in their herd, but no one
      believed them. Cattle prices dropped like a rock.

      The United States treated our northern neighbor like an ugly step sister
      and we banned their cattle and meat even though we were their biggest
      customer. Millions of animals both live and dead, had crossed the border
      in both directions, but we claimed that Canada had the problem and we were
      as pure as the driven snow.

      The US cattle industry jumped at the chance to take over the Canadian
      export markets and we saw record prices for our cattle. We filled our
      feedlots with the most expensive cattle in our history and continued to use
      the same practices that caused mad cow in Canada. It is not hard to see we
      were rushing down the same track as England and Canada and could expect to
      suffer from the same train wreck.

      On December 23rd the cow-that-spoiled-Christmas was reported to the world.
      A Holstein dairy cow in the State of Washington proved what we professed
      could never happen here - mad cow was in the US.

      The USDA, FDA, National Cattlemen's Beef Association, and a host of shocked
      meat flacks started to spew the preprogrammed party line that meat was safe
      and this was the only mad cow in the United States. Within a matter of
      hours our beef export market had disappeared. Country after country did to
      us what we had done to Canada and other mad cow nations, they banned our
      beef exports.

      Cattle markets in the US disappeared and the future markets went limit down
      without a single buyer. Containers of US meat on ships around the world
      could not be landed at the dock and sold. The entire cattle industry was
      changed over night because of the appearance of one mad cow.

      The USDA has instituted some limited response to the disaster such as
      banning the slaughter of downer animals from the human food system. This
      was a response that was long overdue. A downer bill was defeated just
      before Christmas in the House of Representatives by the Republican
      leadership as a present to the big corporations who felt it was infringing
      on their profit potential. When this action came to light after the mad
      cow was discovered it was just too hot an issue and USDA banned downers
      from the human food chain as a bone to satisfy unsettled consumers.

      The solution to the problem of mad cow disease is fairly straightforward.
      First quit feeding slaughter house waste to our food animals and second
      test the slaughtered animals for the disease. Currrently, we have over 100
      million head of cattle in the US and in the last thirteen years we have
      only tested 57,000 animals for mad cow disease. France has 11 million
      cattle in their herd and they test 66,000 each week. I believe in the US
      we have had a "don't look, don't find" policy and up until the 23rd of
      December, it worked.

      If the cattle industry is to survive in the US we must start listening to
      our customers both foreign and domestic. They are saying loud and clear
      the product is not as safe as it should be and until it is, they do not
      want to be called customers.

      I'm a vegan and eat no animal products so for me there is no direct problem
      but I have family and friends that continue to eat beef. Their future is a
      great concern to me. I have many friends in the cattle business and I know
      they are willing to correct the problem and they want to return to raising
      animals as nature intended. I pray we solve this issue without filling the
      graveyard with our friends and destroying the family farms and ranches that
      helped build this nation. Treat this issue as if your life depended on it
      because it just may."

      --- Howard Lyman, 01/10/04

      LAST WEEK'S MIND-BENDER:
      "The United States uses more pesticides on this crop than any other. What
      is it?"

      Congratulations to Rick Scarfe, of Elkton, MD. He won the luck of the draw
      from those who correctly answered: "cotton."

      [...cotton, when conventionally grown, is responsible for the use of nearly
      $2.6 billion worth of pesticides annually-more than any other crop,
      according to Pesticide Action Network North America. These include
      organophosphate and carbamate pesticides, potent nervous-system toxins,
      which sicken agricultural workers and contaminate the soil and ground
      water.
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/clothes/organic_cotton_products.cfm

      THIS WEEK'S MAD COWBOY VEGAN MIND-BENDER:
      "People in the UK eat some 200,000 tons of this product every year, via
      processed foods. What is it?"

      Please e-mail guesses with the word "contest" in your subject line by NLT
      01/29/04.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the
      correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you
      can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *02: A Mad Cow Round-up of Articles and Information
      MC WORLD:
      USA:

      04/01/13: "1/5TH OF U.S. ADULTS SAY MAD COW WILL AFFECT EATING HABITS: One
      in every five American adults (21%) say that fear of mad cow disease will
      change their eating habits, according to results of a recent Wall Street
      Journal Online/Harris Interactive Health-Care Poll. Most (78%) of these
      people say that they would eat less beef while 16% of them indicate that
      they will stop eating beef altogether."

      [Edited from:
      http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040113/nytu101_1.html

      04/01/10: "110 AT-RISK COWS LIKELY IN THE FOOD SUPPLY: At least 110 cows
      considered at risk for mad cow disease have been slaughtered and most
      likely entered the food chain for human consumption, federal agriculture
      officials said yesterday. Those cows could have been exposed to the same
      contaminated feed source as the infected Yakima County cow. Consumers
      should not be alarmed, however, because there is little chance those cows
      were also infected or that the meat poses a human health risk, agriculture
      officials said."

      [Edited from:
      http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/156108_madcow10.html

      04/01/07: "DNA TESTS SHOW FIRST US MAD COW COMES FROM CANADA: The first cow
      in the United States found to be infected with mad cow disease did come
      from neighboring Canada, US agriculture officials said Tuesday, citing
      genetic testing results."

      [Edited from:
      http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-01/07/content_1263444.htm

      04/01/06: "U.S. MAD COW SAFEGUARDS BELOW JAPAN STANDARD, MINISTER SAYS: The
      U.S. safeguards are not up to the level of those (in Japan)," Agriculture
      Minister Yoshiyuki Kamei told a news conference. Japan, which has
      confirmed nine cases of mad cow disease since the brain-wasting illness was
      first discovered in Japan in September 2001, tests all domestic cattle used
      for consumption. Japan, the No.1 buyer of U.S. beef, suspended U.S. beef
      imports immediately after the December 23 announcement of the first U.S.
      case of mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy."

      [Edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=574&ncid=721&e=1&u=/nm/20040106/
      wl_nm/madcow_japan_us_safety_dc

      04/01/05: "U.S. AGRICULTURE OFFICIALS HAVE DECIDED TO KILL 450 CALVES: U.S.
      agriculture officials have decided to kill 450 calves in a Washington state
      herd that includes an offspring of the cow diagnosed with mad cow disease.
      Ron DeHaven, the Agriculture Department's chief veterinarian, said Monday
      that the month-old calves would be slaughtered this week at an undisclosed
      facility that is not being used. USDA will not submit the calves' brains
      for testing for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), or mad cow disease,
      because the illness does not usually show up in animals under 30 months of
      age, DeHaven said."

      [Edited from:
      http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040105/D7VSVKJO0.html

      04/01/02: "MAD POLICIES INFECT NATION'S BODY POLITIC: Perhaps the malady
      should instead be called mad executive, mad bureaucrat, mad lobbyist, mad
      cattleman or mad politician .... Their past opposition to increased
      federal testing of slaughtered cattle, which would add a few cents per
      pound to the cost of beef, certainly appears "mad" in retrospect. Having
      pursued short-term interests, the industry and its friends in government
      face potential losses in the billions of dollars from banned exports and
      falling prices. Whether the cow in question came from Canada or the United
      States will scarcely matter in an era of free trade and agricultural
      globalization. What matters to the countries that have already banned
      American beef imports -- and what should matter to American consumers as
      well -- is how government responds to the crisis."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=16215

      03/12/30: "U.S. BANS SICK 'DOWNER' CATTLE FOR MEAT: The Agriculture
      Department dramatically upgraded the country's defenses against mad cow
      disease Tuesday, banning meat from all so-called downer cows and promising
      to create a nationwide animal tracking system, steps long advocated by
      critics. These are "very aggressive actions," Agriculture Secretary Ann
      Veneman said Tuesday, one week after the first case of mad cow disease
      surfaced on U.S. soil in a Washington state Holstein slaughtered on Dec. 9.
      The changes will produce more rapid testing of cattle for the presence of
      mad cow disease, and meat will not be processed until test results are
      back."

      [Very edited from:
      http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=514&u=/ap/20031230/ap_on_re_us/mad_co
      w_155&printer=1

      03/12/30: "MAD COW USA: THE NIGHTMARE BEGINS: In March, 1996, when the
      British government reversed itself after ten years of denial and announced
      that young people were dying from the fatal dementia called variant CJD -
      mad cow disease in humans - the United States media dutifully echoed
      reassurances from government and livestock industry officials that all
      necessary precautions had been take long ago to guard against the disease.
      Those who did read "Mad Cow USA" when it was published in November, 1997,
      however, realized that the United States assurances of safety were based on
      public relations and public deception, not science or adequate regulatory
      safeguards. We revealed that the United States Department of Agriculture
      knew more than a decade ago that to prevent mad cow disease in America
      would require a strict ban on "animal cannibalism," the feeding of rendered
      slaughterhouse waste from cattle to cattle as protein and fat supplements,
      but refused to support the ban because it would cost the meat industry
      money.

      It was the livestock feed industry that led the effort in the early 1990s
      to lobby into law the Texas food disparagement act, and when an uppity
      Oprah hosted an April 1996, program featuring rancher-turned vegan activist
      Howard Lyman, she and her guest became the first people sued for the crime
      of sullying the good name of beef. Oprah eventually won her lawsuit, but it
      cost her years of legal battling and millions of dollars. In reality, the
      public lost, because mainstream media stopped covering the issue of mad cow
      disease. As one TV network producer told me at the time, his orders were to
      keep his network from being sued the way Oprah had been.""

      [Very edited from the superb & comprehensive article at:
      http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=17466

      [Download a copy of "Mad Cow USA:"
      http://www.prwatch.org/books/mcusa.pdf

      03/12/29: "MAD COW: USDA URGED TO DEPLOY RAPID TEST: Critics charge the
      USDA's system, because it tests so few animals, makes it unlikely more mad
      cow cases will be detected. Concerns about the possible financial impact
      on the U.S. beef industry is driving the USDA's reluctance to implement the
      rapid test, said Howard Lyman, a former rancher turned vegetarian. "I
      would bet everything I hold sacred if we went out and tested 5 million
      mature and downer cattle (in the United States) we would find (more)
      animals infected with (mad cow disease)," he told UPI. Both a former USDA
      veterinarian and a current USDA veterinarian echoed Lyman's comments."

      [Very edited from an excellent, detailed article at:
      http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekeeping/hb/news/article/0,,comtex_2003_12
      _29_up_0000-3398-~dsthealthcare_01~ew~xml,00.html

      03/12/27: "PUBLIC LIKELY ATE SUSPECT COW MEAT: Northwest residents
      probably have eaten meat from a Holstein with mad cow disease, agriculture
      officials said Friday, as several grocery chains recalled specific kinds of
      beef that could contain the cow's meat. Also Friday, a U.S. Department of
      Agriculture spokesman said the sick cow's discovery was partly luck:
      Another of the 20 cows being slaughtered at Vern's Moses Lake Meats on Dec.
      9 was acting strangely, so inspectors sent tissue from all 20 cows for
      testing, Daniel Puzo said. Those tests showed the disease instead affected
      the Holstein, whose only notable injury came while giving birth. "It's very
      ironic, actually," Puzo said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/107253027911
      210.xml

      03/12/27: "COW PARTS USED IN CANDLES, SOAPS RECALLED: Cow parts --
      including hooves, bones, fat and innards -- are used in everything from
      hand cream and antifreeze, to poultry feed and gardening soils. ...federal
      inspectors are concentrating on byproducts from the tainted Holstein, which
      might have gone to a half-dozen distributors in the Northwest, said Dalton
      Hobbs, spokesman for the Oregon Department of Agriculture. ..."renderers,"
      [take] what is left of the cow after it is slaughtered and boils it down
      into tallow, used for candles, lubricants and soaps, and bone meal used in
      fertilizer and animal feed."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.local6.com/news/2727658/detail.html

      03/12/26: "FIRST CASE SHAKES THE WORLD'S BIGGEST BEEF PRODUCER: Rocked by
      the discovery of its first case of BSE and facing the collapse of its beef
      markets, the United States government came under further fire from
      scientists and agricultural experts yesterday. They said the lax oversight
      of the powerful cattle industry had made the arrival of BSE a virtual
      inevitability in the land of burgers and rib-eye steaks. A shaken country
      reacted alternately with alarm, fear and defiance to the arrival of a
      disease many had assumed was a strictly foreign phenomenon. In industry
      circles, the Washington Holstein was quickly dubbed "the cow that stole
      Christmas".

      Stanley Prusiner, who won the 1997 Nobel Prize for Medicine for his work on
      prions, the rogue proteins believed to be at the root of bovine spongiform
      encephalopathy, said he had warned the Bush administration six weeks ago
      that an outbreak of BSE in the world's biggest beef producer was "just a
      matter of time". He told the New York Times that the administration had
      been "wilfully blind" to the threat, and that there was no way of knowing
      how widespread the problem was because so few animals were being tested."

      [Very edited from:
      http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=476091

      03/12/26: "USDA WEIGHS MORE, FASTER MAD-COW TESTS: [USDA] officials
      declined to say exactly what they would recommend, but they acknowledged
      that European and Japanese regulators screen millions of animals using
      tests that take only three hours -- fast enough to stop diseased carcasses
      from being cut up for food. American inspectors have tested fewer than
      30,000 of the roughly 300 million animals slaughtered in the last nine
      years, and they get results days or weeks later. But the American system
      was never intended to keep sick animals from reaching the public's
      refrigerators, said Dr. Ron DeHaven, the Agriculture Department's chief
      veterinarian. It is "a surveillance system, not a food-safety test," he
      said.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/12/26/MNGRB3UMTV1.DTL

      03/12/24: "LABORATORY BACKLOG DELAYED USDA TEST FOR MAD COW: A tissue
      sample from a Washington state dairy cow sat in a federal laboratory for a
      week before it was tested and diagnosed as mad cow disease because of a
      backlog of samples, the U.S. Agriculture Department said on Wednesday. The
      USDA defended the length of time it took to diagnose the disease. Despite
      the existence of mad cow tests that take only a few hours, the USDA uses a
      diagnostic test that can take as long as five days to complete."

      [Very edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20031224/
      sc_nm/madcow_usda_tests_dc

      CANADA:----------------------------------------------------------------

      04/01/06: "MAD COW IN CANADA & USA TIMELINE"
      [Superb chronology summarizing 1992 to Jan. 6, 2004:
      http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/madcow/timeline.html

      03/12/29: "CANADA, THE UNITED STATES AND JAPAN: WHAT'S THE BEEF? It was on
      September 10, 2001, that mad cow disease began a crisis in the North
      American beef industry. The Japanese Ministry of Agriculture said it
      suspected that the Holstein cow had been eating contaminated feed imported
      from Europe. Japan had banned feed from Europe earlier that year but by
      then it was too late. "People in Japan stopped eating beef," Ernie Davis,
      an economist and livestock marketing expert at Texas A&M University told
      CBC.ca. "That's when U.S. exports crashed," dropping by about $400 million
      US in less than a year."

      [Edit from the fact-figure-filled article at:
      http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/madcow/canada_us_japan.html

      JAPAN:-----------------------------------------------------------------

      03/11/04: "JAPAN KILLS BULL SUSPECTED OF MAD COW: Japan confirmed Tuesday
      that a bull it killed last month did have mad cow disease. The
      21-month-old Holstein tested positive on Oct. 29. This is the ninth mad
      cow case for Japan since the illness was discovered in the country two
      years ago and its second in less than a month. Japan was the first country
      to find an infected cow outside of Europe."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2319032

      03/10/07: "JAPAN FINDS POSSIBLE NEW TYPE OF MAD COW DISEASE: A Holstein
      bull slaughtered was confirmed Monday to have been infected with mad cow
      disease. The 23-month-old bull is the eighth case of the brain-wasting
      illness found in Japan and is believed to be the world's youngest carrier
      of the disease also known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, according to
      the Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry. It also said the abnormal prions
      found in the bull were of a different type from those of any of the mad cow
      infection cases reported worldwide so far. Cows examined in Europe for the
      disease are generally older than 24 months. The fact that the bull, which
      was born after the first domestic case came to light, was confirmed as
      having the disease indicates that there may be another route of
      contamination, experts said.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20031007a3.htm

      EURO:-----------------------------------------------------------------

      03/12/29: "A CRISIS FOR BRITAIN"
      [Great summary of BSE in Britain and Europe:
      http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/madcow/britain.html

      90/05/16: "GUMMER ENLISTS DAUGHTER IN BSE FIGHT: (retro-article): The
      government has again attempted to reassure the public that British beef is
      safe, despite growing fears over the cattle disease, Bovine Spongiform
      Encephalopathy (BSE). The Minister of Agriculture, John Gummer, even
      invited newspapers and camera crews to photograph him trying to feed a
      beefburger to his four-year-old daughter, Cordelia, at an event in his
      Suffolk constituency. Although his daughter refused the burger, he took a
      large bite himself, saying it was "absolutely delicious".

      2003 UPDATE: John Gummer's attention-grabbing photocall rebounded
      dramatically when in 1996. The government was finally forced to admit there
      was a link between BSE and the human form of the disease, new varient CJD.
      The EU banned the export of British beef, and the cattle market collapsed
      as selective culls were carried out of cattle at most risk. The photocall
      became the single thing that is most remembered about John Gummer's
      political career, and "doing a Gummer" has now passed into parliamentary
      slang."

      [Edited from (see the classic photo):
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/16/newsid_2913000/2913807.s
      tm

      MAD COW CHRONOLOGY:
      [Key Dates in the History of BSE:
      http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2319032

      MC SCIENCE:-----------------------------------------------------------------

      04/01/12: "STUDIES QUIETLY RAISE QUESTIONS ABOUT THREAT TO HUMANS: Below
      the drumbeat of reassurances from government and the cattle industry that
      mad cow disease poses no threat to public health, a small universe of
      scientists working on a family of related illnesses are finding disturbing
      evidence to the contrary.... Just last week, for example, the National
      Cattlemen's Beef Association described mad cow disease solely as an animal
      and economic problem - not a human health problem. The U.S. Department of
      Agriculture and Colorado's own commissioner of agriculture have made
      similar pronouncements. Such statements, offered frequently since the
      December discovery of a Holstein with mad cow in Washington state, spark
      criticism from scientists and consumer advocates who say that the
      government and industry are injecting certainty into a field where
      uncertainty remains the dominant theme."

      [Very edited from the comprehensive/information article at:
      http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_2569718,00.ht
      ml

      04/01/06: "MAD COW IS ONE OF MANY MYSTIFYING DISEASES: ...it's just one in
      a family of 10 diseases discovered so far - five in animals, five in humans
      - that are arguably medicine's most mystifying maladies. Most so-called
      prion diseases are incredibly rare in this country, although one has spread
      into deer and elk herds in at least 12 states, sparking concern about
      contaminated game meat. The United States spends about a penny per person
      on surveillance for human versions including the classic CJD that hits 250
      Americans a year and the "variant CJD" linked to mad cow-tainted beef, so
      far not found here. Britain, where variant CJD first appeared, spends
      about a nickel per person on surveillance."

      [Very edited from the detailed article at:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2004-01-06/s_11748.asp

      04/01/00: "NURSING NEW CASES OF MAD COW?: Last week, the U.S. Department of
      Agriculture (USDA) made several regulatory changes to safeguard the country
      from mad cow disease following the discovery of a single diseased cow in
      Washington state. But the terrible irony of the USDA's ruling is that,
      while people can't consume downers, calves in Wisconsin can -- in the form
      of blood from downer cows. In Wisconsin and throughout the United States,
      many dairy farms feed newborn calves a milk replacer for several weeks
      after birth. As the name implies, milk replacer is used in lieu of
      mother's milk. It contains a variety of ingredients, including whey (a
      dairy byproduct of cheese making), vitamins, minerals, medications, animal
      fats, and, in many replacers, cow and pig blood."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.thedailypage.com/features/docfeed/2902madcow.php

      03/12/29: "SCIENTIFIC DATA OFFER NO PROOF OF BEEF SAFETY: ... while federal
      officials' safety message was emphatic, the scientific evidence behind
      those claims isn't as certain. Steaks and hamburgers made from beef muscle
      haven't been shown to be dangerous, but some leading experts in Europe and
      the U.S. say the risks of meat from sick cattle remain unknown, and new
      studies have implicated muscles in other species.

      "They are making these sweeping statements for which they don't have the
      data," said Stanley Prusiner, the University of California, San Francisco,
      researcher who won a Nobel Prize in 1997 for his work on the malformed
      prion proteins linked to mad-cow and related ailments in humans, sheep and
      many other species. Scientists have focused mostly on the dangers of cow
      brains and nervous system tissue. Today, scientists in Dr. Prusiner's
      laboratory say they think it's inevitable that beef cuts also will be shown
      to harbor mad-cow prions. Those tests are now under way."

      [Very edited from the involved article at:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/noproof122903.cfm

      03/12/24: "ROGUE PROTEIN LURKS BEHIND MAD COW: Scientists believe
      spongiform diseases are the work of twisted proteins called prions. For
      unknown reasons, when these proteins in brain and nerve cells misfold, they
      induce proteins in adjacent cells to misfold and clump, too. But unlike
      viruses and other infectious agents, prions withstand ultraviolet light,
      ionizing radiation, sterilizing temperatures and chemical disinfectants.
      They don't contain genetic material, which means prions don't have a
      biological target that can be easily attacked by drugs or vaccines.

      Health questions range beyond meat, however... the FDA has stopped the
      importation of cosmetic and dietary supplement ingredients containing
      gelatin and other bovine materials from countries where BSE is a risk.
      Blood safety is another concern. Last week, a Briton died of vCJD more than
      six years after he received a blood transfusion from an infected donor.
      Since 1997, all blood products for use in surgeries in Britain have been
      imported from the United States. How the first BSE case in the U.S. will
      affect those exports is unclear."

      [Very edited from:
      http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20031224_1643.html

      03/07/22: "CJD SCREENING MAY MISS THOUSANDS OF CASES: "Now people are
      beginning to realize that because something looks like sporadic CJD they
      can't necessarily conclude that it's not linked to (mad cow disease)," said
      Laura Manuelidis, section chief of surgery in the neuropathology department
      at Yale University, who conducted a 1989 study that found 13 percent of
      Alzheimer's patients actually had CJD. Those numbers might sound low, but
      there are 4 million Alzheimer's cases and hundreds of thousands of dementia
      cases in the United States. A small percentage of those cases could add up
      to 120,000 or more CJD victims going undetected and not included in
      official statistics.

      The CDC says the annual rate of CJD in the United States is one case per
      million people, but the above studies suggest the true prevalence of CJD is
      not known, Manuelidis told UPI. Diagnosing CJD or Alzheimer's is difficult
      because no test exists that can identify either disease in a living patient
      with certainty. The only way to determine the disease conclusively is to
      perform an autopsy on the brain after death. Unfortunately, although
      autopsies once were performed on approximately half of all corpses, the
      frequency has dropped to 15 percent or less in the United States. The
      National Center for Health Statistics -- a branch of the CDC -- stopped
      collecting autopsy data in 1995."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.upi.com/print.cfm?StoryID=20030721-102924-4786r

      02/01/14: "USDA: STUDY SHOWS MAD COW PREVENTION IS WORKING IN THE U.S.: The
      U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) recently released the findings of a
      landmark study by Harvard University that shows the risk of mad cow disease
      (bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE) is very low in the United
      States. The report indicates that current protection systems have kept BSE
      out of the country and would prevent it from spreading if it did enter.
      "The study┬Őclearly shows that the years of early actions taken by the
      federal government to safeguard consumers have helped keep BSE from
      entering the United States," said Agriculture Secretary Ann M. Veneman."

      [Edited from:
      http://12.31.13.48/HealthNews/HealthNewsFeature/hnf011402.htm

      MC ECONOMICS:-----------------------------------------------------------------

      04/01/13: "U.S. SEES 90% DROP IN BEEF EXPORTS: The loss of export markets
      for U.S. beef following the discovery last month of the first case of mad
      cow disease in the United States will significantly lower cattle prices in
      2004, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said Monday. In its monthly crop
      report, the USDA said U.S. beef exports would fall by 90 percent this year
      after virtually all foreign countries, except Canada, banned U.S. beef."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.iht.com/articles/124685.htm

      04/01/05: "MEAT INDUSTRY SCRAMBLES TO RESPOND TO MAD COW FRENZY:
      Meat-industry trade groups were scurrying during the recent holiday season
      to coordinate key messages and media lists as they responded to reports of
      mad cow disease rearing its head in the Western US. "We're having to use a
      triage approach" to answering media calls, said Janet Riley, SVP of public
      affairs with the American Meat Institute (AMI), a processor group. Riley
      said she has been returning calls to media outlets with the largest reach
      first, and acknowledged that she couldn't have returned all the calls she
      received. The volume of calls "was like nothing I have ever seen," she
      admitted. Key message points the industry was stressing revolved around
      the safety of the US beef supply and the extent of efforts underway to
      track down how the disease reached US shores, Goodwin said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.prweek.com/news/news_story.cfm?ID=198740&site=3

      04/01/01: "FROZEN FRENCH FRIES PREFRIED IN BEEF TALLOW SIT IN LIMBO:
      Fallout from the mad cow scare in Washington state has hit the potato
      industry, with more than $500,000 worth of frozen French fries -- prefried
      in beef tallow -- held in limbo at ports. French fries and other potato
      products are prefried in beef tallow or vegetable oil by the manufacturer
      before they are frozen and shipped. They are then fried again before being
      served. Most products fried in beef tallow are exported, while vegetable
      oil is used domestically, said Pat Boss, executive director of the
      Washington State Potato Commission.

      Potato processors and growers in the Northwest depend especially on Japan's
      large export market. About 500,000 tons of fries or $100 million worth went
      to Japan last year, Boss said. The other largest export markets for fries
      include Mexico, China, Korea and Taiwan, all of which have acted to ban
      U.S. beef.""

      [Edited from:
      http://www.local6.com/news/2737117/detail.html

      03/12/29: "LAX RULES AND TESTING PUT PUBLIC, CATTLE INDUSTRY AT RISK:
      Cattlemen and meat packers have fought calls for more frequent inspections,
      and tighter feeding and slaughtering rules. Such measures have long been
      identified as necessary to fully protect U.S. beef. The laissez-faire
      approach to inspections and opposition to regulations might help cattlemen
      save money in the short run, but it exposes them to far greater losses over
      time through damage to the reputation of U.S. beef. Already, U.S. beef bans
      by 28 countries risk shutting off as much as $6 billion in annual exports.

      The Agriculture Department tests only about 20,000 to 30,000 cows per year
      out of a total of 104 million, or two to three per 10,000. Once an animal
      is determined to be sick, tracking where it came from is much more
      difficult in the USA than in other countries, due to the lack of a national
      cattle identification system. Fearing that an outbreak could be traced to a
      single rancher or feedlot owner, the industry has resisted efforts to
      easily track cattle as they journey through multiple owners from birth to
      slaughter."

      [Very edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=679&ncid=742&e=1&u=/usatoday/200
      31229/cm_usatoday/laxrulesandtestingputpubliccattleindustryatrisk

      03/12/24: "MAJOR MARKETS BAN U.S. BEEF: The three largest importers of U.S.
      beef were among more than a dozen countries that halted imports - the
      source of billions of dollars of sales for U.S. cattlemen. Early Thursday,
      China became the latest country to ban U.S. beef imports. Some countries
      stressed their bans were temporary, until the extent and scope of any
      infection is confirmed. Others, like Taiwan and Singapore, emphasized if
      the outbreak is confirmed, they will ban U.S. beef for six to seven years,
      given the long incubation period for the disease, also known as bovine
      spongiform encephalopathy or BSE. Canada announced a limited ban, halting
      imports of some processed beef products but allowing dairy products, live
      cattle and boneless beef from cattle 30 months of age or younger at
      slaughter."

      Since BSE was first identified in 1986 in Britain, cases of the disease
      have been reported from Europe to Asia, prompting massive destruction of
      herds and devastating the European beef industry. Countries declaring
      temporary bans on U.S. beef this week also included Thailand, Malaysia,
      Russia, South Africa, Jamaica, Chile and Hong Kong - as well as Brazil and
      Australia, beef-producing-countries that st and to gain economically from
      the ban."

      [Very edited, with many financials and useful stats/history from:
      http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2003/12/24/296700-ap.html

      03/12/24: "MAD COW TO WEIGH ON GRAIN FUTURES: Corn and soy complex futures
      at the Chicago Board of Trade are expected to open sharply lower Wednesday
      following the discovery of a case of mad cow disease in Washington state,
      analysts say. The expected weakness in both the markets is likely to drag
      down wheat futures, the analysts said. "They are going to open
      significantly lower," said grains analyst Joe Victor of brokerage Allendale
      Inc., adding that detection of the disease would hit hard livestock futures
      at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. "Cattle is the number one consumer of
      corn, and the number three consumer of soymeal," Victor added. "Meat and
      bone meal is banned in the European Union, but in this country we use 3
      million tonnes each year to feed poultry and pork," [grain analyst] Basse
      said, adding that a similar ban in the United States would boost demand for
      soymeal animal feed."

      [Edited from:
      http://edition.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/12/23/chicago.botfutures.reut/index.html

      03/02/06: "MEAT GROUPS PROTEST PROPOSED FDA RESTRICTIONS ON ANIMAL FEED: A
      coalition of agricultural organizations led by the American Meat Institute
      (AMI) is arguing that no scientific reason exists for FDA's recent proposed
      changes to animal feed regulations. In comments filed with FDA recently,
      the groups said safeguards are already in place to protect the US livestock
      industry from the threat of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE or mad
      cow disease). In its comments, AMI said brains and spinal cords produced
      in the US pose no BSE risk, and any regulations beyond those are already in
      place would be redundant to existing animal feed regulations and could send
      the wrong message to other countries.

      AMI is a national association that represents meat and poultry slaughterers
      and processors. Its members slaughter more than 90% of the cattle raised in
      the US and process most of the rendered products produced in the US.
      American Farm Bureau Federation, American Meat Institute, National
      Cattlemen's Beef Association, National Pork Producers Council were among
      the 15 groups that signed the letter.""

      [Edited from:
      http://www.agriculture.com/default.sph/AgNews.class?FNC=sideBarMore__ANewsindex_
      html___49333

      01/06/00: "THE RENDERING INDUSTRY: ECONOMIC IMPACT OF FUTURE FEEDING
      REGULATIONS: The rendering industry performs functions vitally important to
      the livestock and poultry sectors: it provides an outlet for over 47
      billion pounds of byproducts from meat packers, poultry processors,
      restaurants, retail meat stores, and other entities. Visualize a 4-lane
      truck convoy, placed bumper to bumper from Los Angeles, California to New
      York City, New York, and that's the amount of raw material processed by the
      rendering industry each year. From this waste, the rendering industry
      produces nearly 10 billion pounds of protein ingredients, highly valued by
      the feed industry. Also produced is a wide range of other lipid materials
      used in various feed and industrial applications, which amounts to over 9
      billion pounds."

      [Very edited from the interesting study at:
      http://www.renderers.org/economic_impact/sparks.pdf

      [National Renderer's Association:
      http://www.renderers.org/economic_impact/index.htm

      MC POLITICS:-----------------------------------------------------------------

      04/01/12: "SEN. BOXER CALLS FOR GAO STUDY OF MAD COW TESTING PROGRAMS: U.S.
      Senator Barbara Boxer today called on the General Accounting Office to
      study mad cow inspection and testing programs around the world and
      determine which would be the most effective in the United States."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.senate.gov/~boxer/news/record.cfm?id=217069

      04/01/10: "SEN. BOXER CALLS FOR COMPREHENSIVE MAD COW TESTING: Sen. Barbara
      Boxer has urged Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman to use her executive
      authority to immediately order that all 35 million to 40 million cattle and
      dairy cows slaughtered annually in the United States be tested for mad cow
      disease. The Agriculture Department and the cattle and dairy industries say
      that such testing, which could cost a minimum of $1 billion a year, isn't
      needed, at least not after only one case of bovine spongiform
      encephalopathy has been found in the United States. But Boxer said the
      drastic step would assure the public that the nation's beef supply is safe
      and get vital export markets for U.S. beef reopened."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/boxer011204.cfm

      [Press Release:
      http://www.senate.gov/~boxer/news/record.cfm?id=217011

      04/01/06: "REP. MILLER PROPOSES TESTING ALL COWS: To protect Americans'
      health and prevent further damage to U.S. cattle markets, Congressman
      George Miller (D-CA) today announced he will soon introduce a bill to
      require that all cows bound for human consumption be tested for bovine
      spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly known as Mad Cow disease."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.house.gov/georgemiller/press/rel1604.html

      04/01/06: "GOVERNORS PROCLAIM BEEF WEEK: Gov. Kathleen Sebelius had a
      suggestion Monday for dinner: "Go buy a burger. Eat a steak." Sebelius'
      lighthearted message was a serious suggestion that consumers continue to
      eat beef despite the discovery last month of a cow infected with mad cow
      disease in Washington state. The governor made the remark as she signed a
      proclamation marking "American Beef Week." Sebelius said governors of
      Colorado, Oklahoma, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Texas all
      signed similar proclamations to reassure consumers that the nation's beef
      supply remains safe. Those states are among 10 that are responsible for
      about 75 percent of the beef market in the United States."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.cjonline.com/stories/010604/leg_beefweek.shtml

      04/01/06: "BEEF RECALL PROCESS DRAWS CRITICISM: Federal agencies have more
      power to recall defective toys and auto parts than they do tainted beef,
      according to consumer groups opposed to a federal rule that forbids state
      health departments from disclosing where beef products from the Washington
      state mad cow case were sold. A 10,000 pound batch of beef that included
      cuts and bones from a single infected dairy cow was distributed last month
      in six states, including California. Officials with the federal
      Department of Agriculture said Monday they knew where nearly all the
      recalled meat and bones had been sold but maintained that information was
      considered proprietary and not available to the public. Consumer groups
      said that the argument was both familiar and outrageous."

      [Very edited from the comprehensive article at:
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/01/06/BAG
      JO443IA1.DTL

      04/01/02: "THE COW JUMPED OVER THE U.S.D.A.: Right now you'd have a hard
      time finding a federal agency more completely dominated by the industry it
      was created to regulate. Dale Moore, Ms. Veneman's chief of staff, was
      previously the chief lobbyist for the cattlemen's association. Other
      veterans of that group have high-ranking jobs at the department, as do
      former meat-packing executives and a former president of the National Pork
      Producers Council.

      The Agriculture Department has a dual, often contradictory mandate: to
      promote the sale of meat on behalf of American producers and to guarantee
      that American meat is safe on behalf of consumers. For too long the
      emphasis has been on commerce, at the expense of safety. The safeguards
      against mad cow that Ms. Veneman announced on Tuesday - including the
      elimination of "downer cattle" (cows that cannot walk) from the food chain,
      the removal of high-risk material like spinal cords from meat processing,
      the promise to introduce a system to trace cattle back to the ranch - have
      long been demanded by consumer groups. Their belated introduction seems to
      have been largely motivated by the desire to have foreign countries lift
      restrictions on American beef imports.

      Worse, on Wednesday Ms. Veneman ruled out the the most important step to
      protect Americans from mad cow disease: a large-scale program to test the
      nation's cattle for bovine spongiform encephalopathy."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/02/opinion/02SCHL.html

      ["Dale Moore Named Veneman Chief of Staff:"
      http://www.reeusda.gov/nre/anr/spec20.htm

      ['Alisa Harrison Named USDA Press Secretary:"
      http://www.usda.gov/aboutusda/biography/harrison.html

      ["Veneman Announces Key Management Positions At USDA:"
      http://www.usda.gov/news/releases/2003/02/0064.htm

      ["Veneman Press Secretary Butts Heads With Reporters:"
      http://www.grandforks.com/mld/agweek/5893040.htm

      04/01/02: "MAD COW MEETS BAD BUREAUCRATS: The good news last week was that
      the mad cow discovered in Washington State appears to have been born in
      Canada before the U.S. in 1997 imposed a ban on feeding cattle with meal
      made from cattle parts-the means by which mad cow disease spreads. The bad
      news is the Food and Drug Administration enforced this ban about as well
      as-well, about as well as the Department of Homeland Security enforces the
      immigration laws.

      On Jan. 25, 2002, the General Accounting Office published a prophetic and
      scathing report on the FDA's mad-cow performance record. [excerpt]: "While
      BSE [Mad Cow Disease] has not been found in the United States, federal
      actions do not sufficiently ensure that all BSE-infected animals or
      products are kept out or that if BSE were found, it would be detected
      promptly and not spread to other cattle through animal feed or enter the
      human food supply. . . . "

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=2725

      [GAO study discussed:
      http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d02183.pdf

      04/01/00: "REP. DENNIS KUCINICH ON MAD COW DISEASE: When Congress returns I
      intend to introduce legislation that will: (1) Prohibit meat from downer
      cattle from entering the human food supply; (2) Test all downer cattle
      using modern rapid quick tests (estimates range from 190,000 to 970,000
      cattle); (3) Establish a mandatory trace back system for all bovines; (4)
      Require mandatory recall of food products infected; (5) Prohibit the
      feeding of the remains of any mammal to any animals that humans eat; (6)
      Tighten the law on dietary supplements, which currently allow supplements
      to contain CNS tissue; (7) Require doctors and hospitals to report all
      cases of Creutzfeldt-Jakob to the Centers for Disease Control and
      Prevention."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.kucinich.us/issues/madcow.php

      03/12/31: "SLAUGHTERHOUSE POLITICS: The simple fact is the meat inspection
      system isn't any good and anybody who even attempts to stand up to the Big
      Boy ranchers does so at his or her peril. Look what happened to Bill
      Lehman, who throughout the early 1990s worked as a meat inspector at
      Sweetgrass, Montana, a busy port of entry for Canadian beef. By his own
      count, Lehman himself rejected "up to 2.3 million pounds of contaminated or
      mislabeled imports annually." The reasons, according to Lehman, included
      "pus-filled abscesses, sticky layers of bacteria leaving a stench, obvious
      fecal contamination, stains, metal shavings, blood, bruises, hair, hide,
      chemical residues, salmonella, added substances, and advanced disease
      symptoms."

      The revelations by Lehman, who died in 1998, drove the ranchers and their
      USDA buddies nuts. They said he was a troublemaker and, because he thought
      free-trade laws made matters worse, a protectionist. He was ordered to
      retire, face being fired or transfer to another location. He retired,
      saying he was "just tired of the whole thing." But he fought the USDA until
      he died."

      [Very edited from a "must-read" article re: politics at:
      http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0353/mondo1.php

      03/12/31: "IT'S THE COW FEED, STUPID!" The USDA's much ballyhooed new
      measures to address the emergence of mad cow disease in the US are wholly
      inadequate. Until there is a complete and total ban on all feeding of
      slaughterhouse waste to livestock, coupled with the testing of millions of
      animals, mad cow disease will continue to amplifying and spread in US
      animal feed and among livestock. Eventually we will see cases of human mad
      cow disease emerging. It was a decade after the recognition of the first
      mad cow in Britain that the human deaths, continuing today, began
      appearing.

      The USDA knew way back in 1991, more than a decade ago, that a feed ban was
      necessary to protect human and animal health, but sided with the livestock
      industry. In a 1991 report I obtained under the Freedom of Information Act
      USDA said, "the advantage of this option is that it minimizes the risk of
      BSE. The disadvantage is that the cost to the livestock and rendering
      industries would be substantial." (Mad Cow USA, p. 149-150)."

      [Very edited from the excellent, comprehensive, and disconcerting article:

      03/12/29: "REP. BLUMENAUER CALLS FOR IMPROVED TESTING, TRACKING....:
      Congressman Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) today called on Congress to enact
      legislation to improve meat testing and tracking in the United States and
      to prohibit the use of downed animals in the nation's food supply."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.house.gov/blumenauer/press_releases/pr365.html

      03/12/26: "THE POLITICS OF CATTLE SLAUGHTER:
      Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman and beef-industry representatives
      blithely assure the public that our food supply is safe. Yet the continuing
      boycott of Canadian beef by the U.S. and some 30 other countries that so
      far has cost Canada almost $3 billion makes that claim ring hollow. If we
      won't buy Canadian beef, why should other nations buy ours when the mad-cow
      scenarios are identical? [Our] Farmers continue to sell these crippled,
      low-value animals for processed meat or hamburger... The fast-food
      industry - led by McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King - considers downer
      meat too dangerous for its customers and no longer buys it. Three years
      ago, the USDA banned it from the National School Lunch Program."

      [Very edited from article by Senior VP of Humane Society at:
      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2001823293_madcow26.html

      03/12/24: "GOP CONGRESS SCUTTLED MEAT PROTECTION MEASURE: Legislation to
      keep meat from downed animals off American kitchen tables was scuttled -
      for the second time in as many years - as Congress labored unsuccessfully
      earlier this month to pass a catchall agency spending bill. Rep. Maurice
      Hinchey, D-N.Y., a negotiator who voted for the measure in the House, said
      Democratic negotiators never had a chance to fight for the proposal. "The
      Republicans, the leadership, shut off the conference, they closed it down,
      and this is one of a number of provisions which were handled in a backroom
      deal without the Democrats there and with only the Republican leadership,"
      said Hinchey."

      03/12/23: "USDA REFUSED TO RELEASE MAD COW RECORDS: The United States
      Department of Agriculture insisted the U.S. beef supply is safe Tuesday
      after announcing the first documented case of mad cow disease in the United
      States, but for six months the agency repeatedly refused to release its
      tests for mad cow to United Press International. The USDA claims to have
      tested approximately 20,000 cows for the disease in 2002 and 2003, but has
      been unable to provide any documentation in support of this to UPI, which
      first requested the information in July. In addition, former USDA
      veterinarians tell UPI they have long suspected the disease was in U.S
      herds and there are probably additional infected animals."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20031223-103657-3424r

      03/10/07: "ASSESSMENT OF THE FDA'S MAD COW PREVENTION INSPECTION RECORDS:
      Even if 100 percent of firms in the U.S. were in 100 percent compliance
      with the current feed regulations, consumers and cattle in the U.S. would
      still not be fully protected from the risks of deadly Mad Cow disease. The
      FDA must tighten the regulations to be consistent with those in the
      European Union. This would mean removing exemptions that allow for the
      following to be fed to cattle:
      * Cattle blood as a milk substitute
      * Poultry manure which can contain unconsumed feed made with cattle parts
      * Plate waste from restaurants
      * Pet food which is often fed to cattle after its retail expiration
      date passes.
      * It would also be prudent to prohibit feeding cattle parts to pigs
      which some science indicates may be susceptible to Mad Cow disease.

      [Very edited from a comprehensive analysis:
      http://www.foe.org/factoryfarms/assess.html

      03/09/30: "DOWNED ANIMALS POSE THREAT TO FOOD SUPPLY: Mr. Speaker, to make
      our communities livable, to make our families safe, healthy and
      economically secure, we must deal with the issues of food safety. 76
      million Americans are ill every year from unsafe food, 325,000 are
      hospitalized, 5,000 die. Despite telling journalism and concerns from
      experts in food safety and animal welfare, the cattle industry and some of
      their key Congressional allies fight to continue allowing almost 200,000
      unhealthy animals a year into our food supply. These animals are called
      ``downers'' because they are so sick they are unable to stand or walk. They
      are dragged to slaughter facilities around the country, and most of these
      sick animals end up in our food supply."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.house.gov/blumenauer/floor_speeches/fl574.html

      MC RELATED:-----------------------------------------------------------------

      04/01/13: "NONFOOD USE OF COW PARTS FACES REVIEW: ...federal regulators are
      reconsidering long-held policies aimed at prohibiting importation of
      products or ingredients with bovine tissue or blood from countries with
      documented cases of the illness. The products include vaccines,
      nutritional supplements and cosmetics, all of which can contain ingredients
      derived from cows. Bovine ingredients can be found in several nonmeat
      products. Many immunizations are grown in blood from calves. Some
      supplements contain bovine brain or myelin -- the sheath surrounding a
      cow's spinal cord. And popular products to fight wrinkles contain proteins
      from the tissue of cows. Fetal calf blood is used to create the cultures in
      which viruses and bacteria are grown for vaccine development."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.sacbee.com/content/business/agriculture/story/8092123p-9024490c.html

      04/01/12: "WHY ORGANIC BEEF IS SAFER THAN CONVENTIONAL BEEF: The FDA banned
      the feeding of cattle brain and spinal tissue to cattle in 1997, but they
      still allow the following materials to be fed to non-organic cattle: Blood
      and blood products (from cattle and other species); Gelatin (rendered from
      the hooves of cattle and other species; Fats, oils, grease, and tallow
      (from cattle and other species); Poultry and poultry by-products; Rendered
      pork protein; Rendered horse protein; Poultry manure (which may include
      spilled feed containing rendered animal products); and Human food wastes
      (which may contain beef scraps)."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/beef011204.cfm

      04/01/12: "DEMAND RISES FOR ORGANIC AND NATURAL BEEF: What's bad news for
      most ranchers may be great news for growers and purveyors of organic and
      natural-fed beef. To earn the organic label, cattle must be fed a strict
      vegetarian diet of pesticide-free hay and grain, which means the animals
      have no opportunity to consume the tainted slaughterhouse leftovers that
      are believed to lead to bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Less than 1
      percent of meat and poultry sold in the U.S. is now organic, but that could
      change as consumers become more aware and demanding about food safety."

      [From the following, with additional related links:
      http://www.gristmagazine.com/daily/daily011204.asp?source=newtoday#5

      04/01/04: "ONE COW, HUNDREDS OF USES: Gel capsules often are made from
      bovine gelatin. Bars of soap probably come from processed cow tallow, which
      is solid fat. Asphalt roads may contain bovine fatty acids. Cars and trucks
      may ply those roads on rubber tires made with cow oils. Even wars can
      depend on cows. The explosive nitroglycerine is manufactured from
      glycerine, which is extracted from cow fat.... cattle parts turn into
      chicken feed, mayonnaise and sex hormones -- and the potential that
      byproducts from an infected cow might transmit bovine spongiform
      encephalopathy to humans. Federal authorities insist that is not a
      significant risk. The diseased Washington cow had enormous reach, it turns
      out. The 1,200-pound Holstein was cut, ground and added to 20,000 pounds of
      potentially infected meat in eight states, while its nonmeat parts might
      have made their way into as much as 1.5 million pounds of animal byproducts
      processed by Baker Commodities, one of the nation's largest renderers."

      [Edited from from the comprehensive and disturbing article at:
      http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/107313519431
      2870.xml

      03/07/13: "ANIMAL RENDERING PRODUCTS IN MORE PLACES THAN YOU THINK:
      Rendering plants take in a wide variety of source materials that include
      parts such as brains, eyeballs, spinal cords, intestines, bones, feathers
      or hooves as well as restaurant grease, supermarket rejects such as spoiled
      steak, road kill and in some areas euthanized cats and dogs from
      veterinarians and animal shelters. Such source materials are processed at
      the rendering plant into ingredients used in a number of products that many
      people do not associate with animals. Such products include soap,
      toothpaste, mouthwash, hair dyes, nail polish, photographic film, crayons,
      glue, solvents, shoe polish, toys, anti-freeze, ornaments, pharmaceutical
      products and cosmetics (including those not tested on animals).

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.rense.com/general39/animal.htm

      *03: Brain Rewards, High Steaks, Come & Get It!, MC/Mad Cow
      "BRAIN REWARDS US FOR LAUGHING: They say laughter is the best medicine,
      and a new study may help explain how laughter makes us feel good.
      Researchers report that humor seems to activate brain networks that are
      involved in rewards. "Humor has significant ramifications for our
      psychological and physical health," he told Reuters Health. Our sense of
      humor, he said, "often dictates if, how and with whom we establish
      friendships and even long-lasting romantic relationships." Humor is also a
      "universal coping mechanism" for dealing with stress, Reiss added. Despite
      the importance of humor, Reiss said that little is known about the brain
      mechanisms that underlie humor."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.wapd.org/bbs/msgs/4004.html

      [Original Study: Neuron, December 4, 2003:
      http://www.neuron.org/content/article/abstract?uid=PIIS0896627303007517

      TWO CARTOON REWARDS FROM MARK FIORE:
      [High Steaks:
      http://www.markfiore.com/animation/cow.html

      [Come & Get It!:
      http://www.markfiore.com/animation/meat.html

      SPECIAL PICTURE:
      [Mad Cowboy and Mad Cow:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCandMC.02.JPG

      *04: Toxic Salmon, Keep Walking, Vegan Food Bank, Animal Talk
      04/01/09: "FARMED SALMON LOADED WITH CHEMICALS, STUDY CONFIRMS: Farmed
      salmon contains far more toxic chemicals than wild salmon - high enough to
      suggest that fish-eaters limit how much they eat, U.S. researchers said
      Thursday. The culprit is "salmon chow" - the feed given to the captive
      fish, the researchers report in this week's issue of the journal Science.
      Many health experts urge people to eat fish such as salmon because it
      contains healthy fats, especially the omega-3 fatty acids that can lower
      the risk of heart disease and perhaps have other health benefits, too. But
      the researchers, as well as environmental groups, said the findings in
      Science indicate that people should choose their fish carefully. They
      should also demand that salmon be clearly labeled to indicate whether it is
      farmed or wild so they can make informed choices about which fish to eat."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2004-01-09/s_11895.asp

      04/01/12: "LIMITED EXERCISE CAN HALT WEIGHT GAIN, STUDY SAYS: Overweight
      adults who are not on a diet need only a small amount of exercise -- the
      equivalent of a half-hour of brisk walking per day -- to prevent further
      weight gain, a study found. Participants who did not exercise during the
      eight-month study gained an average of almost 2.5 pounds. But 73 percent of
      those who briskly walked 11 miles a week, or about 30 minutes a day, were
      able to maintain their weight or even lose a few pounds."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11676-2004Jan12.html

      [Original study at:
      http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/164/1/31

      04/01/12: "WHEN ANIMALS SPEAK, LISTEN: "Mother Nature has fostered all
      manner of societies, cultures, learning, gaming, altruism, deception,
      cooperation, competition, industries, arms races and intelligence. Look
      closely at any habitat and you can find daily dramas involving struggles
      between predators and prey, elaborate courtships, covert copulations,
      sibling rivalries, struggles for dominance, defense of territories and
      many, many opportunities to arrive at a premature death. The same dramas
      are played out all over the world in every environment, from the deep ocean
      vents where microscopic life may have begun to the lawns and shrubs only a
      few steps away in the backyard.

      Communication between all of the earth's creatures makes these dramas
      possible. Indeed, communication is the glue of animal societies. Without a
      means of communicating, no life, including the simplest single-celled
      organisms, could exist. Communication, like the tango, takes two. And it
      requires a signal, which can be anything from the release of chemicals
      between colonizing bacteria, to the come-hither flashes between male and
      female fireflies in the backyard, to the "let's go" rumble of African
      elephants, to the "signature" whistles of dolphins, to a dog barking simply
      to be let outside."

      - Tim Friend, a veteran science reporter at USA TODAY, attempts to unravel
      the mysteries of animal communication in his new book, Animal Talk.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2004-01-12-animals-usat_x.htm

      04/01/15: "THE VEGAN FOOD BANK is a non-profit agency that was created to
      distribute food for those who are suffering from hunger and at the same
      time help to minimize the needless suffering of animals. We do this by
      offering delicious meatless non-animal based products for human beings.
      The Vegan Food Bank will be collecting donated non-animal based food from
      manufacturers, farmers and suppliers. We then will distribute it to people
      in need through care packages, food pantries, soup kitchens, child care
      centers, homeless shelters, senior centers and other human service agencies
      with meal programs.

      Our goal is to distribute food to low-income households for preparation at
      home. We also will provide groceries and fresh produce to dozens of food
      pantries throughout Cities across America starting with Buffalo, New York
      as we continue to open Chapters in other cities and towns as quickly as
      possible. The eventual goal of our distribution is worldwide."

      [Website:
      http://www.veganfoodbank.org/

      *05: Over 9000 Veg'n Recipes, +Nutrition & Resources Info
      NUTRITION:

      [Veganism in a Nutshell:
      http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/vegan.htm

      [Guide to Fast Food -- The Vegetarian Resource Group
      http://www.vrg.org/catalog/ff.htm

      [McDougall Wellness Center, Newsletter, Recipes, Info:
      http://www.drmcdougall.com

      [Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" book, website:
      http://www.drfuhrman.com/

      [Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine:
      http://www.pcrm.org

      [International Vegetarian Union:
      http://www.ivu.org

      [Vegetarian Nutrition Resource List:
      http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/pubs/bibs/gen/vegetarian.htm

      RECIPES:

      [Over 4600 veg'n recipies - searchable database:
      http://www.fatfree.com

      [Over 1800 vegan recipes - some in different languages:
      http://www.ivu.org/recipes/

      [Over 800 veg'n recipes:
      http://www.vegetarianrecipe.com/default.asp

      [Over 600 veg'n recipes:
      http://www.recipesource.com/special-diets/vegetarian/

      [Hundreds (?) of vegan recipes (well organized):
      http://www.vegan-food.net

      [Over 400 vegan recipes:
      http://www.catteacorner.com/recipes.htm

      [147 Tofu Recipes:
      http://www.recipesource.com/special-diets/vegetarian/tofu/indexall.html

      [Superb collection - links, info, near 100 recipes, articles:
      http://www.veganconnection.com

      [Over 80 vegan recipes:
      http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes.htm

      [Recipes from the Vegetarian Resource Group:
      http://www.vrg.org/recipes/

      [Bryanna's wonderful "beginner's" vegan recipes disc. board:
      http://www.vegsource.com<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)