12_17_03: Letter from Howard, Vegan Pets, Eat More Oranges!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2003
      Howdy! Welcome to the 30th Edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter!

      We've a couple of special treats for you today: a "Holiday Letter" from
      the Mad Cowboy himself, a link to 100 selected pictures from Howard's
      Camera and travels around the country in 2003, and around 40-50 links to
      information on Veg'n Holiday recipes, resources, and having a Green

      Moving onward, you'll learn about a special new web page on the MadCowboy
      Website: "Vegan Pets Resources." This page contains several links and
      resources concerning "what's in pet food?" and how to "veganize" your dogs
      and cats. The link to that page is also available on the Home Page
      (middle right part of the page).

      In this issue you'll also find out that "Global Warming" is real, read
      about an Army Green Beret sent home from Iraq to be court-martialed for
      having CJD, how to reduce your risk of food-borne diseases from raw foods,
      know the real secret behind birds hitting Cell Towers, and maybe laugh at a
      story about "buying tomatoes."

      There's also the new "Burger Queen," weblogs from an ex-chicken slaughterer
      at Tysons, a famous actor begging the Pope, why you should eat more
      oranges, and information about "Pigs Singing to the Moon."

      ...and as always, a special nod to our new readers. Y'all can read back
      issues at:

      Finally, Best Wishes for everyone, your family, and your friends, for a
      very Happy Veg'n Holiday Season!

      Regards, Mark Editor/Webmaster

      00: A Holiday Letter from Howard!
      02: Veg'n Holiday Recipes & Resources
      03: Global Warming is Real, Ocean & Urban Activists Honored
      04: Reducing Raw Food Risk, Mad Cow/Spain, CJD/Green Beret
      05: "Meatrix" Breaks Records, Birds & Towers, Buying Tomatoes
      06: Veg'n Pet Food, Diet, & Resources - New Webpage
      07: Burger Queen, TV & Veggies for Teens, Eat More Oranges
      08: Tysons Ex-worker Writes, Pigs Sing to Moon, Alec Begs Pope
      09: Quick Bytes
      10: Howard's Schedule
      11: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      12: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: A Holiday Letter from Howard!
      "At this time every year we should stop and review our actions for the past
      twelve months. It is important to see if we are moving forward or if we
      are a drag on the system. We get in a rut thinking that material things
      are the measure of success - that the person with the most toys is winning
      the game. If this were true we would not be fighting tooth and nail
      against terrorists. We have more toys so we must be the winner. This
      philosophy is not working to our satisfaction so it must be flawed.

      I truly believe that the only thing that causes changes in human behavior
      is crisis and even we have a dandy group of crises in place today. There
      are so many that you can take your pick - global warming, third world
      hunger, water pollution, ocean fish depopulation, heart disease, diabetes,
      cancer and an aids epidemic killing millions to just name a few.

      I try to do everything I can do personally to make the Earth a better place
      to live for all of us. I try to spend my money as if each dollar was a
      vote on the future. I'm not always successful but I keep trying.

      When I look at the wonderful group of friends around me, along with the
      worlds greatest wife, I have many things to be thankful for. My children
      continue to amaze me with new views of the universe that I would have never
      seen without their help.

      I feel truly blessed to be able to live and work in these troubled times.
      I'm humbled when I look at the quality of my friends and see what a
      difference they are making in the world. I'm thankful for the efforts and
      support from so many of you, working together to make a Viable Future.
      Every victory is a team effort, and every step forward is progress.

      My prayer is that we all do good work for as long as we can and the best
      happens for all the Earth's creatures.

      Happy Holidays from your friend. "

      --- Howard Lyman, 12/15/03

      [for 100 pictures from Howard's Camera and his activities in 2003:

      The United States is forecast to be de-throned as the largest exporter of
      soybeans (this year or next). What country will take its place? (Hint:
      Southern Hemisphere)

      Congratulations to Lief Youngs, of Lafayette, CO. He won the luck of the
      draw from 10 correct submissions, having guessed "Brazil."

      [AP: 11/12/03: (by Emily Gersema): "China will remain the world's largest
      buyer of soybeans and Brazil the largest exporter, the Agriculture
      Department forecast Wednesday. China, the largest soybean buyer in the
      world, probably will import 290,000 metric tons this year. Most of the
      soybeans it buys are processed into meal for livestock as it tries to
      develop its meat industry. Meanwhile, Brazil is expected to export 26
      million metric tons of soybeans while the United States probably will ship
      even fewer - nearly 24 million tons, department economists said."]

      "The United States uses more pesticides on this crop than any other. What
      is it?"

      Please e-mail guesses with the word "contest" in your subject line by NLT

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the
      correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you
      can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *02: Veg'n Holiday Recipes & Resources

      [Vegan Christmas or Yule - recipes and gift idea:

      [Christmas Vegan Recipes (& Mincemeat Pie!):

      [Festive Holiday Cooking For Vegans (and shopping lists):

      [Christmas Vegetarian Recipes:

      [60 Veg'n Holiday (Tksg, Xmas) Recipes:

      [A Holiday Celebration - Low-fat Vegan Dinner for Six:

      [Vegetarian Christmas Recipes (for 10):

      [12 Years of Vegetarian Xmas Recipes!!:

      [PCRM--Healthy Vegan Holiday Recipes (Christmas):

      [Vegan puddings, cakes, breads, and other treats:

      [Ukrainian Xmas Eve Meat-free Recipes (12 courses) & Info

      [Veg'n Winter Holiday Recipes:

      [Vegan Christmas Dinner Reciipes -- Part One:

      [Vegan Christmas Dinner Reciipes -- Part Two:

      [Vegan Christmas Cake:

      [Index of Vegetarian Christmas Recipes:

      [Vegetaraian Mince Pie Recipe:

      [Vegan Scandanavian Christmas recipes:

      [Fudge and other veegan candy recipes - how to veganize toffee:

      [Great collection Veg'n Jewish Recipes/Links:

      [Happy Vegan Hanukkah!

      [Vegetarian Hannukah Recipes:

      [The Vegan Connection: Vegan & Fat-free Vegan Recipes:

      [Vegan Beer:

      [Vegan Wine:

      [Vegan Goodies:

      [Christmas Holiday Recipes:

      [66 Veg'n African Recipes:

      [Vegan Kwanza Feast (extensive, w/ background):

      ["Tofu Turkey with Stuffing - vegan:"

      [Vegan pecan pie, no-tofu pumpkin pie:

      ["Tksg Top 10 Most Requested Vegetarian Recipes:"

      [Vegan Holiday Recipes:

      [Veg Nog!:

      ["Recipes For Tofu, Tempeh, Textured Soy Protein And Many Other Soyfoods:"

      ["Holiday menu help is here for vegans and vegetarians:"

      [The Infamous Vegan Tofurky:

      [Matching wine with veg'n meals:

      [Top 10 Survival Tips for a Vegetarian Christmas:

      [How to have a Green Christmas:

      [Simplify The Holidays - Gift Ideas:

      [ULS (42 Ways to Trim your WASTEline):

      [Recycled Christmas Gifts, Decorations, and More:

      [Vegan Shopping Guide (superb collection of links):

      [Simplify the Holidays Brochure:

      ["PETA Mall is the most comprehensive online shopping mall for the caring
      consumer, featuring animal-friendly apparel, cruelty-free gifts, health and
      beauty essentials tested on people (not animals), vegan foods from around
      the world, and more!"

      [Ancient Origins of the Solstice & Some Holidays:

      *03: Global Warming is Real, Ocean & Urban Activists Honored
      (Reuters, Washington): "There can be no doubt that global warming is real
      and is being caused by people, two top U.S. government climate experts
      said. Industrial emissions are a leading cause, they say, contradicting
      critics, already in the minority, who argue that climate change could be
      caused by mostly natural forces.

      "The likely result is more frequent heat waves, droughts, extreme
      precipitation events, and related impacts, e.g., wildfires, heat stress,
      vegetation changes, and sea-level rise," they added in a commentary
      published in Friday's issue of the journal Science. The United States has
      balked at signing international treaties to reduce climate-changing
      emissions, but the two experts said global cooperation is key.

      "Climate change is truly a global issue, one that may prove to be
      humanity's greatest challenge," they wrote. "It is very unlikely to be
      adequately addressed without greatly improved international cooperation and

      [Edited from:

      "Jean-Michel Cousteau, founder of Ocean Futures Society and a
      world-renowned advocate for ocean protection, has received the first ever
      "Ocean Hero" Award from Oceana for "defending the world ocean" and
      "inspiring people around the globe." The Oceana "Ocean Hero" Award will be
      presented annually to an individual who has displayed a profound dedication
      and effort in defending our oceans."

      [Edited from:

      [For more info about Oceana:

      PIONEERING URBAN ACTIVIST WINS MAJOR AWARD: 12/02/03: (Pittsburgh): "Peggy
      M. Shepard honored for pioneering urban activism against environmental
      injustice. An environmental crusader who fought inner-city ecological
      hazards through grassroots advocacy and determined leadership has been
      selected to receive the Heinz Award for the Environment, one of the largest
      individual achievement prizes in the world. Peggy Shepard, the founder and
      executive director of West Harlem Environmental Action and a tireless
      champion for the quality of life within urban America, is one of five
      notable recipients of the $250,000 awards, presented in five categories by
      the Heinz Family Foundation.

      "Peggy Shepard raised her voice - and later a veritable army - against a
      systemic form of racism that wittingly or not, sacrifices the environmental
      health of poor urban areas," said Teresa Heinz, chairman of the Heinz
      Family Foundation. "Today, the systematic nature of the environment and ill
      health have made all of us, and particularly children, claw and fight for
      environmental justice."

      [Very edited from:

      [For more about the awards:

      *04: Reducing Raw Food Risk, Mad Cow/Spain, CJD/Green Beret
      MAD COW DISEASE INCREASING IN SPAIN: 12/02/03: (Xinhuanet): (Madrid):
      "Cases of mad cow disease increased by nearly 30 percent in Spain this
      year, a veterinary official announced Tuesday.
      Juan Badiola, Director of Spain's National Center of Bovine Spongiform
      Encephalopathy (BSE), said the most affected regions were in the northwest
      of the country. Badiola, also President of the General Council of
      Veterinary Schools, said a total of 127 cases were reported last year. The
      infected number was expected to soar to 150 or 155 this year.

      [Edited from:

      News, Nancy Barr Canson): "KARNACK, Texas - Staff Sgt. James Alford can't
      talk. He doesn't recognize his wife. His head shakes, his hands tremble.
      In April, the Green Beret and Bronze Star recipient was sent home from Iraq
      by the Army. But it wasn't because he badly needed medical care. "They
      sent him home to be court-martialed," said his mother, Gail Alford, a
      former Army nurse. "They wanted to strip him of his Special Forces tab.
      They wanted him out of the Army."

      Army officials say they did not realize the 24-year-old soldier's
      increasingly erratic behavior was an early symptom of the
      difficult-to-diagnose Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. CJD is a fatal,
      degenerative brain disorder that attacks the human brain in the same way
      that "mad cow" disease attacks cattle. Staff Sgt. Alford was disciplined
      and demoted. Although the Army has restored his rank and corrected what it
      admits was a mistake, the Alfords - a family in which many members have
      served in the armed forces - question how this could have happened."

      [Very edited from the extensive article at:

      (Anchorage Daily News, T.C. Mitchell): "Last week questions from readers
      arose regarding how to protect ourselves from contacting food-borne
      illnesses. As was reported, there are no guarantees but there are a number
      of things people can do to reduce the risks and continue to enjoy foods
      they prefer to eat raw."

      [For a complete list of steps and suggestions:

      *05: "Meatrix" Breaks Records, Birds & Towers, Buying Tomatoes
      "THE MEATRIX" BREAKS RECORDS!": 12/02/03: (GRACE): (NY): "Less than a month
      after its launch, The Meatrix - the most successful Matrix spoof on the
      Internet - has been seen by over 2 million individuals worldwide, an
      unparalleled triumph for an online advocacy film. The Meatrix has been
      picked up by outlets ranging from USA Today, The Guardian (UK), the
      Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, and NPR to MichaelMoore.com, Utne.com
      and AlterNet.org, and has been spreading like wildfire on hundreds of
      blogs, message boards and listserves."

      [Very edited from:

      [The animation:

      SAGE ADVICE ON COMPARING TOMATOES: "A small boy was looking at the red ripe
      tomatoes growing in the farmer's garden. "I'll give you my two pennies for
      that tomato," said the boy pointing to a beautiful, large, ripe fruit
      hanging on the vine.

      "No," said the farmer, "I get a dime for a tomato like that one."

      The small boy pointed to a smaller green one, "Will you take two pennies
      for that one?"

      "Yes," replied the farmer, "I'll give you that one for two cents."

      "OK," said the lad, sealing the deal by putting the coins in the farmer's
      hand, "I'll pick it up in about a week.""

      [From: http://www.all-creatures.org/humor/comptom.html

      *06: Veg'n Pet Food, Diet, & Resources - New Webpage
      [A special new web page has been added to the Mad Cowboy website. It
      contains a list of web addresses/text excerpts for information on "What's
      in Pet Food?", "What is Rendering?, "Vegan Cats & Dogs," "Diets and
      Nutrition," "Commercial Sources of Vegan Pet Food/Products," and
      "Additional Resources:"

      Some excerpts from the information available through this webpage:

      WHAT'S IN PET FOOD?: ""Animal protein" in commercial pet foods can include
      diseased meat, road kill, contaminated material from slaughterhouses, fecal
      matter, rendered cats and dogs and poultry feathers. The major source of
      animal protein comes from "dead-stock removal operations" that supply
      so-called "4-D" animals -- dead, diseased, dying or disabled -- to
      "receiving plants" for hide, fat and meat removal. The meat (after being
      doused with charcoal and marked "unfit for human consumption" may then be
      sold for pet food."

      [Excerpted from:

      WHAT IS RENDERING?: "Each year, at hundreds of plants in the U.S., more
      than 12.5 million tons of dead animals, fat and meat waste are melted down,
      most of it to become protein supplements fed to pets, chickens, cows, sheep
      and other animals, the rest to make products ranging from gelatin to

      "Rendered cow products are used in a wide variety of consumer goods. As The
      Wall Street Journal put it, "Processed cow fats are sometimes used to make
      cookies and salty snacks taste rich and to make lipsticks glide smoothly.
      Cow proteins show up in shampoo. Collagen, extracted from the inner layer
      of cattle hide, is used to balm wounds and cosmetically puff up lips.
      Gelatin, refined from cattle hide and bones, is found in such foods as ice
      cream, gummy candies and marshmallows--as well as the capsules encasing

      [Excerpted (respectively) from:

      VEGAN CATS & DOGS: "Many vegetarians and vegans cannot imagine feeding meat
      (and meat by-products) to their pets. But can cats and dogs be vegetarians?
      With a little extra attention, most pets can be vegetarians. Dogs are
      fairly easily converted to vegetarianism, while cats require taurine, an
      amino acid usually aquired from animal sources. But, with the addition of
      taurine supplements to the diet, cats too can be vegetarian.

      In addition, there are all kinds of vegetarian pet treats and foods are
      available on the Web, as well as sites devoted to alternative veterinary
      medicine including herbs. Check out the links below and your pet will be
      well on the way to a veggie diet."

      *07: Burger Queen, TV & Veggies for Teens, Eat More Oranges
      BURGER QUEEN: 11/26/03: (Edinbourgh, Fiona MacGregor): "Veggie burgers
      created by a Lothian schoolgirl are to go on sale in supermarkets across
      the UK. Mhari Robertson, a second year pupil at Linlithgow Academy in West
      Lothian, won a competition to create a healthy recipe as part of a schools
      initiative run by Sainsbury's. The prize in the Scottish Food Challenge
      was £250 for Mhari's school and a trip to see her winning recipe cooked up
      by chefs in Sainsbury’Äôs kitchens.

      But when buyers for the supermarket tasted the prize burgers they were so
      impressed they decided to add them to the company's product range. Now
      13-year-old Mhari's face is to feature on packs of the burgers which go on
      sale in Sainsbury's from today. The recipe, which uses traditional
      Scottish vegetables, is tipped to prove a winner with customers."

      [For more article & the recipie (use egg-replacement):

      Rubin): "Reducing your risk of colon cancer might be as simple as eating a
      bowl of high-fiber cereal and skim [soy, rice, etc.] milk for breakfast,
      says a large study out today. Cancer of the colon and rectum is the
      second-most-lethal malignancy in the USA, accounting for about 60,000
      deaths annually. Only lung cancer kills more Americans.

      The new study's findings are fairly consistent with previous research about
      colon cancer risk factors. Though it doesn't prove that cereal fiber and
      non-fat dairy products protect against colon cancer, "it shows there's a
      strong association here," says lead author David Lieberman, chief of
      gastroenterology at the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center in
      Portland, Ore."

      MORE TV MEANS FEWER VEGGIES FOR TEENS: 12/08/03: (Reuters): Chicago: "The
      more television children watch the less fruit and vegetables they eat,
      probably because the advertising they see leaves them craving junk food
      instead, a study said Monday. Children surveyed for the study who spent
      more time watching television ate 0.16 fewer servings of fruit and
      vegetables for every extra hour watched. That additional hour a day of TV
      watching added up to one less nutritional serving every six days.

      Heavy television viewing by children has been linked to eating more junk
      food, getting less exercise and obesity, but this was the first study to
      show that TV watching led to lower consumption of nutritious fruit and
      vegetables, said the report, which was published in the journal Pediatrics.

      American children spend more time watching television than engaging in any
      other activity except sleeping, averaging 22 hours of viewing a week, the
      report said. They are exposed to 20,000 TV commercials a year, or 150 to
      200 hours worth."

      [Edited from:

      ORANGES KEEP CANCERS AWAY: 12/03/03: (Reuters): Australia: "Eating an
      orange a day can keep certain cancers away, according to a new Australian
      study. The government's key research group, the Commonwealth Scientific and
      Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), found consuming citrus fruits
      could reduce the risk of mouth, larynx and stomach cancers by up to 50
      percent. One extra serve of citrus a day -- on top of the recommended five
      daily servings of fruit and vegetables -- could also reduce the risk of a
      stroke by 19 percent.

      The Australian study, which was based on 48 international studies on the
      health benefits of citrus fruits, also found "convincing evidence" that
      citrus could reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, obesity and

      Baghurst said oranges have the highest level of antioxidants of all fruit,
      with more than 170 different phytochemicals, including more than 60
      flavonoids shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor and blood clot
      inhibiting properties."

      [Edited from:

      *08: Tysons Ex-worker Writes, Pigs Sing to Moon, Alec Begs Pope
      Ark.: "In his dim trailer in the pines, Virgil Butler writes of killing.
      He served in the American invasion of Panama and recalled killing enemy
      soldiers at close range. That is not the violence that drives him to his
      keyboard. He is haunted, instead, by the nine years he spent slaughtering
      chickens for a living. In the chilled dark of a Tyson processing plant,
      Butler, with eight other workers, killed 80,000 birds a shift.

      Butler writes daily for hours. His words have electrified animal-rights
      activists around the globe. Veterans of the animal-rights movement say
      Butler has done more for their cause than endorsements from actress Pamela
      Anderson and former Beatle Paul McCartney. Lucy Kelley, 60, a cook in Mount
      Juliet, Tenn., said she could respond in only one way: "I don't eat chicken

      His unemployment benefits, $112 a week, ran out last month. Hoping for
      help, Butler recently put a donations button on his Web site. He has
      received one pledge of $75. But even if he can't make a living off his
      activism, he plans to keep writing. "The more I've done, the more right I
      feel about it," he said. "I have found my niche."

      [To read Butler's writings:

      [Yahoo group he supports:

      [Very edited from:

      THE PIG WHO SANG TO THE MOON: Online Review: " Scholar and prolific author
      Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson burst on the scene as one of the foremost
      contemporary writers about animals with the publication of "When Elephants
      Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals" in 1995. "Elephants" was
      groundbreaking, showing that non-humans of all shapes and sizes lead
      complex emotional lives. The book became a New York Times bestseller.

      With the publication of "The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional Lives
      of Farm Animals," Masson makes a grand return to his previous lofty
      accomplishment. In "Pig," Masson covers all of the modern-day farmed
      animals, devoting chapters to pigs, chickens, sheep and goats, cows, and
      ducks and geese. His research is superb; whether you are a long-time
      ethical vegan or a committed carnivore you will discover something you did
      not know about each of these beings. Are you aware that a pig is easier to
      house train than a dog? Or that chickens always know exactly what time it
      is? That goats are funny, inventive, and love unconditionally?"

      [Very edited from the reviews at:

      BALDWIN BEGS THE POPE TO SAVE THE ANIMALS: 12/15/03: "Movie star Alec
      Baldwin has written a heartfelt message to the Pope calling for him to
      condemn animal cruelty this Christmas. Pointing out that the Catechism of
      the Catholic Church directs people to treat animals kindly, the
      animal-loving actor sent a letter to The Pope on Friday, calling on His
      Holiness to consider the cruelties "inflicted on animals in today's factory
      farms", and urging him to condemn them.

      Baldwin also sent The Pope a DVD he narrated for People For The Ethical
      Treatment Of Animals (PETA) about farm cruelty methods.

      Baldwin wrote, "I am writing to ask that you exercise your moral authority
      in a clear statement of condemnation of present factory-farming methods.
      Your words would do a world of good for God's animals, who are suffering so
      horribly on factory farms and in slaughterhouses."

      [Edited from:

      *09: Quick Bytes

      [We The People Together in Peace:

      [Guide to Letter Writing:

      [Utne Independent Press Awards Nominees 2003:

      [Marvelous list of links and resources:

      [Compassion Over Killing Restaurant Outreach Campaign:

      [A Hunger-free World & Dynamic US Food Wasted Counter:

      [The Fish-Eater's Cheat Sheet:

      [Information on all government recalls:

      ["Pet Food Pocket Guide," (from PETA)

      *10: Howard's Schedule
      Feb 15 - 21: CHIP Cruise
      Apr 07 - 14: Maui, Hawaii

      [More details and contact info at:

      *11: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      Both Mooshoes and VeganCats will donate 5% of sales accessed through the
      MadCowboy Home Page to the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary.
      Check 'em out! Mooshoes sells much more than shoes, and VeganCats sells
      cruelty-free products for cats AND dogs!

      *12: Closing Thought(s)
      "And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch
      thought of something he hadn't before! "Maybe Christmas," he thought,
      "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit
      - from "How The Grinch Stole Christmas," by Dr. Suess