11_23_03: Howard the Turkey, Gentle Thanksgivings, & Bioneers

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23 5:14 PM
      Howdy! Welcome to the 29th Edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter!

      In this edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter you'll learn about the
      relationship between your heart's health and walking, how taking lycopene
      supplements (from tomatoes) may not work as opposed to the real thing, some
      interesting speculations on the unique way fish may be communicating, and
      learn about the 1st adoption of the Precautionary Principle by any school
      in the United States.

      We've also provided some 30 links to recipes for your veg'n Thanksgiving
      Holiday Feast (and a few backgrounders links about the history of
      Thanksgiving as well as some current events of note).

      Further on in this newsletter, you'll see a buncha new pictures from
      Howard's camera as he races across Canada, digs the Chicago EarthSave
      potluck, reviews "Hearst Castle," and thoroughly enjoyed the "Bioneers
      Conference" in California. Howard was also recently voted most popular
      Speaker by the some 4,000 people voting in the 2003 Veggie Awards:

      Reading onward below, you'll learn about Talking Trash Cans, the Meatrix,
      the disturbing truth about Pet Food, "Point of View," and who's the world's
      largest polluter of the environment (hint: it's not a country or

      And on a lighter note, be sure to check out:

      .... you'll see Howard meeting Howard (and another reason to avoid eating

      ......and as always, a nod of the hat to our new subscribers: y'all can
      read past issues of the Newsletter at:

      Finally, a very heartfelt Happy Vegan Thanksgiving to all our subscribers!
      May your holiday be thoughtful, fruitful, blessed, and cruelty-free.

      Best to all, Mark Editor/Webmaster

      00: Quote(s) of Note
      01: New Pix from Howard's Digital Camera+
      03: Veg'n Thanksgiving History, Events, & Recipes
      04: Heartwalks, Bread Crisis, Fat Yanks/Brits, Tomatoes/Cancer
      05: Humor: Talking Trash, the Meatrix, & Humane Foie Gras
      06: Chemical Evasions, Precautionary Principles, Military Abuse
      07: Don't Eat Wild Boar, Pet Food Truth, Fish Communication
      08: Quick Bytes
      09: Howard's Schedule
      10: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      11: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Quote(s) of Note
      "WHEN I DECIDED TO BECOME A VEGETARIAN... I could hardly wait to share that
      with my friends and family. I was even considering sharing it with my
      mother-in-law. I invited her for Thanksgiving dinner. I said to her that
      turkey would be available for her. My mother-in-law came into the house,
      went to the oven and to the refrigerator: no turkey. She felt I had let her
      down. I took her to the back yard where I had a live turkey. I told her
      that if she wanted turkey for dinner she would have to kill it herself.
      That turkey survived. Even on that occasion I learned not to be angry.

      Therefore, if we want to change the world, we must do it with the full
      cooperation of others, that is with a smile on our faces. We need to sew
      the seed by becoming ambassadors of information.

      We have the opportunity to be better equipped to share that information
      about vegetarianism with our families, our friends and yes, even our
      mothers-in-law: we are winning. Our main job is not to turn them into
      vegans, but to get those carnivores out there to understand that every bite
      of meat not taken all over the world means greater opportunities for our
      children and our grandchildren.

      It ends up with more animals living, so let's do it with a smile on our
      face. And when somebody walks up to you and says, "Are you one of those 'V
      'people?" you look at them, smile and say, "You'd better believe it! And I
      did it because it's good for me, it's good for the animals, it's good for
      the environment and - most of all - it guarantees a brighter future for the
      generations to come."

      Howard (speaking as President of the IVU at the Sixth European Vegetarian
      Congress, Bussolengo, Italy, Sept. 21 -26, 1997: full speech at:

      *01: New Pix from Howard's Digital Camera+
      [10/06-10/12/03: continuing Howard's whirlwind Canadian tour: Kalowana,
      Alberta, Abbottsford, Vancover EarthSave, Victoria --- back to the U.S.:
      Chicago EarthSave

      [10/13-10/19/03: Hearst Castle, John Robbins, the Millenium Cafe, Bioneer's

      [Pix from Frank McMiller:

      ["Bioneers - An educational network of visionaries for the environment:"

      [The incredible Hearst Castle:

      "The book "Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat
      Meat" is a best-seller. What's the current edition number?" (Hint: it's
      between 1 and 21) (Hint2: there's a clue in this issue's sections)"

      We'll, this is the first time we didn't have a winner! There were no
      correct answers. The correct answer is "11" and the hints: (1) 11 is
      between 1 and 21 and (2) there were 11 Sections in that issue of the MC

      The United States is forecast to be de-throned as the largest exporter of
      soybeans (this year or next). What country will take its place? (Hint:
      Southern Hemisphere)

      Please e-mail guesses with the word "contest" in your subject line by NLT

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the
      correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you
      can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *03: Veg'n Thanksgiving History, Events, & Recipes

      [George Washington Proclaimation:

      [Abraham Lincoln Proclaimation:

      [Thanksgiving Timeline:

      [United Poultry Concerns on "Turkeys:"

      [Register your "Gentle Thanksgiving:"

      [Farm Sanctuary's $15 Adopt-a-Turkey Project

      [Neiman Marcus: Fur Is Cruel protest events:

      [Bay Area Vegetarians "Vote for Best Restaurant Contest:"

      [Wonderful Vegan Tksg Recipes:

      ["Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes:"

      ["Vegan / Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes:"

      [Bryanna's Amazing Vegan Tksg Recipe File:

      [More Bryanna Tksg. Recipes:

      ["PCRM--Health--Holiday Recipes--Thanksgiving:"

      [PETA Vegan Tksg Recipes:

      ["When a Non-Vegetarian Cook Hosts a Vegetarian Guest:"

      ["Have an awesome veggie Thanksgiving with these recipes:"

      ["Vegetarians in Paradise/Vegan Thanksgiving Feast:"

      [Veg'n Tksg Recipes:

      ["Tofu Turkey with Stuffing - vegan:"

      ["Vegetarian/Vegan Thanksgiving Feast/Dinner:"

      [Vegan Recipes - The Barlow's Recipes:

      ["Vegetarian Thanksgiving, 2003:"

      ["Vegetarian Thanksgiving Central:"

      [Vegan pecan pie, no-tofu pumpkin pie:

      ["Tksg Top 10 Most Requested Vegetarian Recipes:"

      [Vegan Holiday Recipes:

      [Veg'n Tksg Recipes:

      [Veg Nog!

      [Vegan Thanksgiving:

      ["Small Household Vegetarian Recipe Index:"

      ["Recipes For Tofu, Tempeh, Textured Soy Protein And Many Other Soyfoods:"

      ["Holiday menu help is here for vegans and vegetarians:"

      [The Infamous Vegan Tofurky:

      [Natural Foods: A Thanksgiving feast for all: a vegan holiday meal:

      [Thanksgiving links and recipes:

      [Frugal Thanksgiving:

      [Matching wine with veg'n meals:

      *04: Heartwalks, Bread Crisis, Fat Yanks/Brits, Tomatoes/Cancer
      FAT FOOD FIGHT ON TWO FRONTS: (Dan Ackman): 11/10/03: "The food fight over
      what do about obesity is heating up on both sides of the Atlantic as
      British official are mulling a ban on some television advertising aimed at
      children, and U.S. officials are considering whether to classify obesity as
      a disease as opposed to a condition, which would open the door to insurance
      coverage paying for treatment.

      In the United Kingdom, the Food Standards Agency, described as a food
      watchdog, wants to defuse the so-called obesity time bomb and is
      considering such methods as a ban on TV advertising aimed at children,
      health warnings on foods high in salt, sugar and fat, and requiring school
      vending machines to offer healthy alternatives, according to press reports.
      "Doing nothing is not an option," said Sir John Krebs, the agency's
      chairman. About 24 million Britons, more than half the population, are
      overweight or obese, according to The Guardian, and the numbers are rising,
      including among the young. Obesity among six-year-olds has doubled in
      recent years to 8.5%, and trebled to 15% in 15-year-olds, the paper says.

      Americans are well ahead of Britons when it comes to being obese--and the
      race is on in the U.S., too, to stem the tide. One possibility, highlighted
      by The Washington Post, is to declare obesity a "disease," which would
      allow those affected to claim insurance coverage for "cures" such as diet
      drugs or doctor-prescribed nutrition plans. The Post cites experts who say
      classifying obesity as a disease would help "destigmatize" the condition,
      making it easier for those affected to seek treatment, as happened when
      alcoholism was so classified."

      [Very edited from:

      BRISK WALK CAN STRENGTHEN HEART: 11/15/03: "A good brisk walk is enough to
      strengthen your heart, researchers have found. Some experts believe that
      only strenuous activity has any beneficial effect. But a study of obese
      adults found moderate exercise was enough to raise the heart beat to
      recommended levels. The researchers, from Massachusetts University,
      reported their findings at a meeting of the American Heart Association.
      Advisory groups recommend that exercise must push the heart rate up to at
      least 55% of its maximum to have any positive impact. Many believe that
      vigorous exercise is the only way to do this - but the latest study
      suggests this is not necessarily true.

      Rather than the old adage that there is "no pain, no gain", they believe
      that "if the pace feels right, it probably is". "Being healthy isn't
      difficult. People don't need to play sport or go to the gym, they simply
      need to get out of their cars and go for a walk."

      [Edited from:

      Laurance Health, Editor): 11/20/03: "The growing craze for high protein,
      low carbohydrate slimming regimes such as the Atkins diet is threatening
      the market for one of the staple foods of the West - bread. Consumption of
      bread plummeted in America in the past year with an estimated 40 per cent
      of Americans eating less than in 2002. The US bread industry is to hold a
      crisis "bread summit" tomorrow to discuss measures to curb falling sales.
      In Britain, the Federation of Bakers launched a promotional campaign last
      month to counter the Atkins effect. British Bread month was advertised with
      the slogan "Use your loaf, have another slice."

      In America, Patrick Davis of the National Bread Leadership Council, which
      organised the summit, said that it was unclear whether the fall in bread
      sales was a temporary blip or indicative of a more permanent change in
      eating habits. The average American eats 54lbs of bread a year, barely a
      third of the quantity consumed by the French and Italians. But the Italians
      and the French are not notably obese, Mr Davis said.

      The Medical Research Council (MRC) in Britain has warned that the basis of
      the Atkins diet is questionable and it could be dangerous. Dr Susan Jebb,
      head of nutrition at the MRC, said: "It is an unknown risk. The diet is
      nutritionally incomplete."

      [Edited from:

      "New research suggests that lycopene -- a carotenoid in tomatoes that has
      been linked to a lowered risk of prostate cancer -- does not act alone.
      Scientists at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Ohio State
      University say that lycopene's punch is stronger in combination with other
      phytochemicals in the fruit.

      Lycopene is an antioxidant and the pigment that provides the red color of
      tomatoes. Because of recent epidemiological studies suggestive of
      lycopene's role against prostate cancer, the compound has made its way into
      dietary supplements. These new findings... indicate that a combination of
      the bioactive compounds may offer the best anti-cancer effect.

      "Our findings strongly suggest that risks of poor dietary habits cannot be
      reversed simply by taking a pill," Clinton, a professor of hematology and
      oncology and of human nutrition, said in an Ohio State news release. "We
      shouldn't expect easy solutions to complex problems. We must focus more on
      choosing a variety of healthy foods, exercising and watching our weight."

      [Very edited from:

      *05: Humor: Talking Trash, the Meatrix, & Humane Foie Gras

      BERLIN TO GET TRASH CANS THAT CAN TALK: (Matt Dueholm, AP): 11/20/03:
      "Fed up with garbage-strewn streets? Berlin thinks it has found a solution
      - trash cans that say thank you. Starting next spring, the German
      capital's trash service will build electronics into a handful of the city's
      20,000 street-side wastebaskets that will allow them to speak or sing to
      the public, a spokesman said Thursday.

      Making Berlin's visitors feel at home, some of the baskets will be
      programmed to say "Thank you" or "Merci" instead of "Danke," Mueller said.
      The talking wastebaskets will be installed at heavily visited sites such as
      the Reichstag building and the central Friedrichstrasse train station.

      Still, the garbage cans will be silent after dark. "Some people might feel
      uncomfortable if these things said something to them at night," Mueller

      [Edited from:

      09/24/03: "If the National Cattlemen's Beef Association has its way, beef
      won't be just for dinner anymore. Looking to emulate the success of Chicken
      McNuggets and fried mozzarella sticks, the group is hoping to inject some
      red meat into the American snack food diet with cheeseburger fries. The
      fries, which look like a squat version of standard french fries, are made
      of a meat and cheese compound that tastes - as the name suggests - like a

      Breaded, deep fried, and served with ketchup or barbecue sauce,
      cheeseburger fries have found their way onto menus in several states,
      including Nebraska, Minnesota and Texas, since June. There is also a
      version being made available to public school cafeterias.

      "The challenge is getting people to think of other ways to eat beef," said
      Betty Hogan, director of new product marketing for the association. "We
      want beef in dessert if we can get it there," Hogan said."

      [Very edited from the disturbing, yet funny, material at:

      *06: Chemical Evasions, Precautionary Principles, Military Abuse
      CHEMICAL INDUSTRY MAY FIGHT TESTS: (Douglas Fischer, Staff Writer):
      11/21/03: "The chemical industry may be considering a covert campaign to
      attack a growing effort in California forcing more chemical testing,
      according to a leaked "memo" from the American Chemical Council obtained by
      the Environmental Working Group. The council, representing manufacturers
      of 90 percent of the chemicals and most plastic resins sold in the United
      States, denied such plans were afoot .... the four-page proposal, which
      outlines a strategy to "stigmatize" the pro-testing movement and create an
      "independent ... watchdog group" acting as a pro-industry information
      clearinghouse. Industry has a lot riding on the outcome.

      Often called the "precautionary principle," the growing movement
      essentially revolutionizes how industrial and consumer chemicals get tested
      prior to their release to the market. Rather than force consumer groups
      and government agencies to prove a substance causes harm -- as is the case
      now in California -- industry under the precautionary principle would be
      required to show the substance was safe prior to its sale.

      "The American Chemistry Council and their manufacturers have had a free
      ride, with some exceptions, for the past 50 years," said Ted Schettler,
      science director for the Massachusetts-based Science and Environmental
      Health Network. "So that's why it's threatening. "The notion that one
      would have to produce data about the safety or hazards that might be
      associated with their product prior to exposing the public is not something
      they have any history or inclination of doing."

      [Very edited from:

      Release): 10/18/03: "Los Angeles Unified School District created the most
      stringent pesticide policy in nation. [The] California Safe Schools
      Coalition (CSS), having successfully worked with Los Angeles Unified School
      District (2nd largest district in USA) to implement a least toxic, low risk
      pest management policy, whose preamble includes the "Precautionary
      Principle", is sharing its secret for success on the new website [listed

      "The policy mandates the use of preventative measures and least toxic
      methods first in schools. Only when preventative measures fail does the
      district turn to pesticides on the approved list. Pesticides on the
      approved list cannot contain products known to cause cancer, neurological
      disruption, birth defects, genetic alteration, reproductive harm, immune
      system dysfunction, endocrine disruption, or acute poisoning, which stops
      the routine use of the most hazardous pesticides in our schools," said
      Robina Suwol Executive Director of CSS.

      "Our new website will help others understand the policy. There are
      downloadable "Parent Right To Know Forms", a copy of the groundbreaking
      policy, and links to other environmental organizations. A special
      attraction on the website are illustrations by internationally known artist
      Michael Bruza", said Action Now's Annie Waterman, founding member of CSS."

      [Very edited from:

      [Check out the website:

      [Same District is also cutting out sale of junk food from their schools, too!:

      "President George W. Bush's administration is considering allowing
      low-level radioactive waste to be dumped at toxic waste sites and other
      facilities that currently aren't permitted to receive it. The
      Environmental Protection Agency was expected to issue a notice Tuesday
      seeking public comments on the proposal. The notice asks the public to
      weigh in on whether certain levels of radioactive waste can be stored in
      landfills or hazardous material disposal sites.

      Environmentalists criticized the new proposal. "They can save a lot of
      money if their waste doesn't have to go to a facility designed to safely
      contain it," said Daniel Hirsch, president of the Committee to Bridge the
      Gap, a Los Angeles-based nuclear watchdog group."

      [Edited from:

      U.S. MILITARY'S WAR ON THE EARTH: (from "Top 25 Censored Stories of 2004):
      "The U.S. military is waging a war on planet Earth. "Homeland security" has
      become the new mantra since September 11, 2001, and has been the
      justification for increasing U.S. military expansion around the world. Part
      of this campaign has been the varied and persistent appeals by the Pentagon
      to Congress for exemptions from a range of environmental regulations and
      wildlife treaties.

      The world's largest polluter, the U.S. military, generates 750,000 tons of
      toxic waste material annually, more than the five largest chemical
      companies in the U.S. combined. This pollution occurs globally as the U.S.
      maintains bases in dozens countries. In the U.S. there are 27,000 toxic hot
      spots on 8,500 military properties inside Washington's Fairchild Air Force
      Base is the number one producer of hazardous waste, generating over 13
      million pounds of waste in 1997. Not only is the military emitting toxic
      material directly into the air and water, it's poisoning the land of nearby
      communities resulting in increased rates of cancer, kidney disease,
      increasing birth defects, low birth weight, and miscarriage.

      The military currently manages 25 million acres of land providing habitat
      for some 300 threatened or endangered species. Groups such as Defenders of
      Wildlife have sued the military for damage done to endangered animal
      populations by bomb tests. The testing of Low-Frequency Sonar technology is
      accused of having played a role in the stranding death of whales around the

      Rather than working to remedy these problems, the pentagon claims that the
      burden of regulations is undercutting troop readiness."

      [Extremely edited from the very disturbing link at:

      *07: Don't Eat Wild Boar, Pet Food Truth, Fish Communication
      "An outbreak of the Ebola virus is believed to have claimed the lives of
      nine people in a remote forest region of Congo, Brazzaville, the medical
      information service Medinfo reported on Monday. Spokesperson Dr Andrew
      Jamieson said a further three people appeared to have contracted the
      disease, although clinical samples collected in the field were still to be
      tested at a medical centre in neighbouring Gabon to confirm the diagnosis.

      Jamieson said that according to media statements released by Congo's health
      ministry, the nine people who had died so far were all members of a group
      of hunters who ate meat collected from a wild boar found dead in the forest.

      Only one member of the hunting party survived the excursion, a young
      schoolboy who refused to touch the game."

      [Edited from:

      Martin, author of "Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food":
      "This book was written to make pet owners aware of what they were feeding
      their pets when they feed commercial pet foods.... [it] outlines the fact
      that this is virtually an unregulated industry and that anything is fair
      game for use in these foods.

      The sources of protein are deplorable: 4-D material, condemned and
      contaminated meat from slaughterhouse facilities, road kill, zoo animals,
      and even euthanized companion animals can be used. The FDA/CVM is well
      aware of the use of companion animals in these foods. Although they state
      they don't condone the practice, they take no steps to prohibit it.

      The industry and veterinarians promote the use of these foods.
      Veterinarians and the American Veterinary Medical Association accept big
      payoffs from the industry. Just last month the AVMA received funding in the
      amount of $1 million dollars from Science Diet. The veterinary profession
      is not about to bite the hand that feeds it."

      [Very edited from:

      [You can read an excerpt from the shocking book at:

      SURVEY SAYS: CWD IS SPREADING: (Jeff Gearino, SW Wyoming Bureau):
      11/07/03: "Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been detected in 98 mule deer
      across Wyoming since the Game and Fish Department expanded its CWD
      surveillance efforts this fall to include the whole state, officials
      involved in the effort say. The agency is using a new testing procedure
      during this fall's hunting season that has proven very successful so far,
      Game and Fish Department Acting Director Gregg Arthur told Wyoming Game and
      Fish Commissioners during a meeting Thursday.

      Arthur said the "disappointing news" is that the testing has revealed nine
      new deer hunt areas where mule deer have tested positive for CWD, including
      areas within the Black Hills, the Shirley Mountains and in the Big Horn
      Basin near Worland.

      CWD has been endemic to a 12,000 square-mile area of southeastern Wyoming
      and northeastern Colorado for more than 30 years. Animals that develop CWD
      lose weight, drink great amounts of water and seem unable to recognize
      humans. There is no known cure and the disease has proven 100 percent

      [Edited from:

      FISH FLATULENCE COMMUNICATION?: (Vancover): 11/06/03:
      "Herring make farting sounds at night, Canadian and British scientists say.
      Scientists knew herring have an excellent sense of hearing, but now
      researcher Ben Wilson of the University of British Columbia Fisheries
      Centre in Vancouver and his British colleagues investigated their secret

      At night, herring squeeze bubbles out of their swim bladders through an
      anal pore. The action produces distinctive sounds, resembling a person
      blowing raspberries or farting. Wilson is now trying to figure out why.
      The fish tend to make noise more often when in the company of others, which
      suggests it plays a social role, the researchers say.

      If so, sound may be more important in herring than scientists had thought,
      and they may need to look into the effects of noise pollution from humans.
      The fish may also produce the sounds to ward off predators. Or it could be
      an incidental effect of staying buoyant, Wilson said."

      [Admittedly written by CBC News Online staff

      *08: Quick Bytes
      (will return next issue!)

      *09: Howard's Schedule
      Feb 15 - 21: CHIP Cruise
      Apr 07 - 14: Maui, Hawaii

      [More details and contact info at:

      *10: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      Both Mooshoes and VeganCats will donate 5% of sales accessed through the
      MadCowboy Home Page to the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary.
      Check 'em out! Mooshoes sells much more than shoes, and VeganCats sells
      cruelty-free products for cats AND dogs!

      *11: Closing Thought(s)

      "Thanksgiving dinner's sad and thankless
      Christmas dinner's dark and blue
      When you stop and try to see it
      From the turkey's point of view.

      Sunday dinner isn't sunny
      Easter feasts are just bad luck
      When you see it from the viewpoint
      of a chicken or a duck.

      Oh how I once loved tuna salad
      Pork, lobsters, lamb chops too
      'Til I stopped and looked at dinner
      From the dinner's point of view. "

      -- Shel Silverstein (from his collection "Where the Sidewalk Ends")