10_30_03: Lymans R.I.P., Cholesterol Mountain, & Global Tea

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2003
      HOWDY! Welcome to the 28th Edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter.

      We wish everyone a safe and happy veg'n' Halloween! You'll find a ton of
      vegan recipes for Halloween, tofu (over 500), tempeh, and information on
      safe Halloweening below (as well as how to protect your pets during "All
      Saint's Eve.") As a special surprise, when you receive this Newsletter,
      check out:

      http://www.madcowboy.com

      ...and you'll see SURPRISE Halloween Pix of Willow, Howard, and Howling!

      In this issue, you'll view over 100 images from Howard's camera (the other
      100+ next issue) as he races across Canada, tours South Dakota and National
      Monuments (including the World's Largest Sculpture), visits Chicago, and
      rides the Veggie-powered Bus on the "We The Planet/Spitfire" tour across
      America.

      You'll also learn about the EU Beef Ban, that more celebs are speaking out
      against animal cruelty, the Beef and Cancer connection, why more Chinese
      farmers are going Organic, and that the "Rocket Fuel" in our product
      controversity ain't over.

      Read about the "Mount Everest of Cholesterol," what cooking methods lose
      the most nutrients from broccoli, why "tea" is the beverage of the century,
      the Soy Milk in U.S. School's battle deepening, and what produce has the
      most (and least) pesticides.

      Plus: an animated chuckle about the "Halloweenish Energy Bill."

      As always, a nod of the hat to our new subsribers. Y'all can read past
      issues of the Newsletter at:

      Finally, best wishes to all our subscribers, their families, and friends,
      for a safe, fun, and veg'n Halloween!

      Regards, Mark Editor/Webmaster

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quote(s) of Note
      01: New Pix from Howard's Digital Camera
      02: Vegan Halloweenism
      04: EU Beef Ban Science, More Join Up, Beef & Cancer
      05: Warmest Sept., Oil Sued, Organic Chinese, Rocket Fuel
      06: Mt. Everest Of Cholesterol, Halloweenish Energy Bill
      07: Lost Nutrients, Global Tea, School Soymilk, Pesticides Tallied
      08: Quick Bytes
      09: Howard's Schedule
      10: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      11: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Quote(s) of Note
      "VEGANISM ISN'T JUST A STRICT VEGETARIAN DIET; it is a complete
      philosophical viewpoint. It is practical in outlook, simple to understand
      and aspires to the highest environmental and spiritual values. I am sure it
      holds the key to a future lifestyle for a humane planetary guardianship..."

      -- Howard Lyman

      [As quoted at:
      http://www.veganpeace.com/FamousQuotesPages/howard_lyman.htm

      "HOWARD LYMAN REMINDED ME OF HIS PREACHER GRANDDADDY. I can still see him
      telling us (his congregation for an evening) how going vegan is the most
      important act we can take for ourselves, for the animals, and for our
      world. With his passion, one cannot help but feel called to at least
      consider converting. I, of course, am a convert already. Joyous
      Veganinsm, Hallelujiah!

      Tracy Chapman shared some of her thoughts with us quietly. Her hands,
      expressive and punctuated, inflected her comments beautifully. Her music
      blew us all away. I still get goose bumps just remembering. I am so
      deeply graeful for her sharing the gift of herself and her brilliant
      creativity with us.

      Each of these events holds so much more than I can possibly shove into this
      tiny space with my limited time. I continue to feel so humbled and blessed
      to work with such incredible people at Circle of Life, who help make all
      this wonderful, divine magic possible. The world needs each one of us to
      do our part."

      -- Julia Butterfly Hill

      [Edited from: "We The Planet/Spitfire Tour" in Sept. 2003 (PIX BELOW):
      http://www.circleoflife.org/blog/julia/

      *01: New Pix from Howard's Digital Camera!
      [Pix of Howard in South Dakota, Chicago, across Canada, and on the "We The
      Planet/Spitfire" tour:

      http://www.madcowboy.com/09_19_03_HL_TravelPIX
      http://www.madcowboy.com/10_06_03_HL_TravelPIX

      [Note: info links about the Veggie Bus, Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, the
      Crazy Horse Monument, Wild Bill Hickok, Calamity Jane, Custer's Last Stand
      & related, "We the People," and the Spitfire Tour (all topics in the pix)
      are under the "Quick Bytes" section below in this Newsletter!]

      *02: Vegan Halloweenism
      [HALLOWEEN TIPS ON PROTECTING YOUR PETS:
      http://vetmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/aa100600a.htm?terms=jack+o+lantern

      [GOV'T HALLOWEEN PRODUCTS SAFETY ALERTS:
      http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/hallow.html

      [ELVIRA'S VEGAN HALLOWEEN TREATS:
      http://www.peta.org/feat/halloween01/

      [VEGAN HALLOWEEN TREATS RECIPES:
      http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/773148.htm

      [VEGAN HALLOWEEN: TIPS AND TREATS:
      http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-children/vegan-halloween.htm

      ["HAVE A SPOOKTACULAR VEGAN HALLOWEEN," (lotsa stuff):
      http://differentdaisy.safeshopper.com/666/cat666.htm?895

      [SOME VEGAN RECIPES+:
      http://www.vegan.org/news/

      [VEGAN HALLOWEEN RECIPES:
      http://recipes.vegweb.com/events/index-halloween.shtml

      [A VEGAN HALLOWEEN PARTY: HISTORY, SETTINGS, RECIPES:
      http://www.vegparadise.com/cookingwith.html

      [MORBID OUTLOOK - THE JOY OF EVIL VEGAN COOKING:
      http://www.morbidoutlook.com/lifestyle/veggie/2001_11_evilvegan.html

      LAST WEEK'S MIND-BENDER:

      "In 1929, this Seventh-Day Adventist (T.A. Van Gundy) was the first
      westerner to make this popular soy product commercially. The earliest
      American document to refer to this product was written by a signer of the
      Declaration of Independence. WHO was he?"

      Congratulations to Maria McMillian, of Quncy, MA, for answering "Ben
      Franklin" and winning the luck of the draw from correct submissions!

      "The earliest known reference to tofu by an American wasn't until 1770. It
      appears in a letter written by the famous Benjamin Franklin in London to
      John Bartram in Philadelphia. He sent Bartram some soybeans- which he
      called "Chinese caravances"."

      [From: "The History of Tofu" at:
      http://www.tofufest.org/history.html

      [Even more kewl info on the "History of Tofu" at:
      http://www.thesoydailyclub.com/MOStofu/MOStofu1.asp

      THIS WEEK'S MAD COWBOY VEGAN MIND-BENDER:

      The book "Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat
      Meat" is a best-seller. What's the current edition number?" (Hint: it's
      between 1 and 21) (Hint2: there's a clue in this issue's sections)

      Please e-mail guesses with the word "contest" in your subject line by NLT
      11/14.

      [Many thanks to Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, who has offered a FREE
      one-year subscription to a winner chosen at random those submitting the
      correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you
      can learn more about VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *04: EU Beef Ban Science, More Join Up, Beef & Cancer
      EU SAYS SCIENCE BACKS ITS BEEF BAN:
      10/15/03: (by Andrew Walker, BBC economics correspondent): "The European
      Union (EU) says it now has scientific evidence to support its ban on
      imports of beef raised using growth promoting hormones. The ban is the
      subject of a long standing dispute with the United States, which currently
      has retaliatory sanctions on some imports from Europe.

      A European Union spokeswoman says it can prove that growth promoting
      hormones used by cattle farmers in some countries can cause cancer and
      should therefore be banned.

      She said the evidence is being shared with the US."

      STARS JOIN TO STOP CRUELTY TO CHICKENS:
      10/16/03: (Canadian Press): VAUGHAN, Ont.: "Former Baywatch babe Pamela
      Anderson is taking on KFC Canada's parent company, calling for an
      international boycott of the fast-food chain for what she calls the cruel
      treatment of its chickens. "If people knew how KFC treats its chickens,
      they'd never eat another drumstick," Anderson said in a letter faxed to
      John Bitove, chairman of Priszm Brandz, at the company's headquarters in
      this community north of Toronto today.

      Anderson joined Paul McCartney, hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons and NAACP
      president Kweisi Mfume in an international campaign against KFC by the
      People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. The British Columbia native
      and animal rights activist accused KFC of scalding live birds and using
      crippling drugs."

      PETA claims KFC raises 750 million chickens each year in overcrowded,
      feces-filled sheds on "factory farms" and kills them in inhumane ways for
      its restaurants.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_T
      ype1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1066342208907

      LINK EYED BETWEEN BEEF AND CANCER:
      09/20/03: (CBS, Los Angeles, CA): "In feed lots across the country, beef
      cattle are given growth hormones to make them fatter faster, to save money.
      Now questions are being raised about one of the most widely-used hormones,
      Zeranol, a synthetic estrogen implanted in cattle. A series of tests done
      for the Pentagon show a possible link between breast cancer and Zeranol.

      "We know that Zeranol and some of the synthetic hormones used in cattle
      production are estrogens, and we know that breast cancer is dependent upon
      estrogen," says Lou Guillette, a biologist at the University of Florida.
      In his own research, Guillette examined the effects of hormones coming off
      cattle feedlots and getting into the water. The study, funded by the
      European Union, which bans beef hormones, found serious damage to the
      reproductive systems of fish downstream from a Nebraska feedlot.

      "It certainly raises a red flag for us," says Guillette. "What it suggests
      is that there are very potent hormones that are coming off of these
      feedlots that are going into the environment."

      But the cattle industry says the minute amount of Zeranol found in beef
      poses no threat. "My wife and my four daughters eat beef on a regular
      basis," says Gary Weber, of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association.
      "I've reviewed all this science, and I'm confident that beef is safe and
      wholesome for consumers."

      [Very very edited from:
      http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/20/eveningnews/main554857.shtml

      *05: Warmest Sept., Oil Sued, Organic Chinese, Rocket Fuel
      WARMEST SEPTEMBER ON RECORD, WORLDWIDE :
      10/17/03: (Randolph E. Schmid, AP, Boston Globe Online): "Last month was
      the warmest September on record, federal climate experts said Friday. The
      second and third warmest Septembers on record occurred in 1997 and 1998,
      respectively.

      Worldwide, land surface temperatures were the second warmest for September.
      Temperatures were extremely warm throughout much of eastern Canada and
      readings were unusually warm over much of Asia and Europe. The global
      ocean surface temperature was warmest on record, although temperatures in
      much of the central and eastern equatorial Pacific were near the 1971-2000
      average.

      Rising temperatures in recent years have led to concern that changes in
      atmospheric chemistry caused by human-induced pollution is warming the
      globe in a process known as the greenhouse effect. "

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.boston.com/dailynews/290/wash/Warmest_September_on_record_woP.shtml

      ECUADOREANS SUE U.S. OIL FIRM OVER AMAZON POLLUTION:
      10/21/03: LAGO AGRIO, Ecuador (Reuters, by Amy Taxin): "Ecuadorean Indians
      wearing feathered headdresses and red face-paint marched outside a jungle
      courthouse on Tuesday at the start of a case accusing U.S. oil giant
      ChevronTexaco of polluting the Amazon. "Before Texaco, we were free. We
      drank from the river, bathed in the river and everything was peaceful
      because it wasn't polluted," 67-year-old Secoya Indian Esteban Lusitande
      said in broken Spanish.

      "Now there's nothing. We can't even swim." Environmentalists hope the case
      will set a precedent forcing companies in the developing world to observe
      the same anti-pollution standards demanded in rich nations.

      Lawyers for 30,000 Ecuadorean plaintiffs -- many of them poor Indians --
      have said a subsidiary of Texaco, which merged with Chevron in 2001, dumped
      18.5 billion gallons of oil-laden water into rivers while it was producing
      crude in Ecuador's lush Amazon jungle from 1972 to 1992. Farmers say their
      well-water is laced with an oily film and their children suffer rashes and
      fevers after swimming. They are demanding the oil giant clean up the
      alleged spills and pay for health programs."

      [Very edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20031022/
      sc_nm/environment_ecuador_dc

      CHINESE FARMERS CASH IN ON DEMAND FOR ORGANIC FOOD:
      10/22/03: (by Nao Nakanishi, Reuters): SONGYUAN, China: "As consumers in
      the West grow increasingly hungry for organic food, Chinese farmers see a
      niche market worth cultivating. In this corner of rural China, the word is
      out that more and more people abroad are willing to pay extra for what they
      believe is a healthier and more environmentally friendly diet.

      Sales of organic food in the United States alone reached $11 billion in
      2002 and are projected at $13 billion in 2003, and farmers are ready to get
      their hands dirty to reap the benefits. Industry officials say foreign
      buyers pay Chinese farmers at least 30 percent to 50 percent more for
      organic food, knowing they can get large premiums from sales in developed
      countries.

      In China, where farmers account for more than 70 percent of the 1.3 billion
      population, organic growers are a tiny minority. And these are no hippie
      farmers shunning conventional farming practices for the sake of the
      environment. They are poor farmers who could never easily afford expensive
      chemicals used in intensive farming and are going organic to boost their
      meager incomes."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-10-22/s_9661.asp

      ROCKET FUEL CONTROVERSY DEEPENS:
      10/17/03: (by Jill Clay, Newsdesk.org): "The discovery of rocket fuel
      pollution in groundwater nationwide has aggravated concerns about federal
      safety standards. Manufacturers in 39 states use perchlorate - a fast
      moving, long-lasting chemical with adverse health effects - in rockets,
      missiles, fireworks, and road flares.

      According to the Environmental Protection Agency, 25 states have detected
      it in their groundwater. Despite this, no federal agency has set any
      perchlorate safety standards, and state regulatory agencies have been left
      to their own devices.

      The threat extends beyond drinking water: The Colorado River irrigates
      almost a million acres of farmland in California and Arizona. However,
      according to Dave Spath of California's Division of Drinking Water and
      Environmental Management, "There are virtually no standards for irrigation
      water."

      The Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit research and advocacy
      organization, set off a furor earlier this year with a study that found
      significant perchlorate contamination of winter lettuce grown in California.

      The state Department of Health Services disputed this, stating on its Web
      site that the findings were not "credible and reliable" and that "it is
      premature to draw any conclusions."

      [An extensive article and complex issue. Very edited from:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-10-17/s_9418.asp

      *06: MT. Everest Of Cholesterol, Halloweenish Energy Bill
      TURNING THE VEGETABLES:
      http://www.gristmagazine.com/ha/ha092203.asp

      HALLOWEENISH TAKE ON THE ENERGY BILL:
      http://www.markfiore.com/animation/energy.html

      MOUNT EVEREST OF CHOLESTEROL:
      "The Associated Press calls the fried cheeseburger, one of the new culinary
      offerings at the Arizona State Fair, the 'Mount Everest of cholesterol.'
      The fried cheeseburger features ground beef wrapped around a stick. The
      beef is wrapped in cheese, coated in batter, and deep-fried. The final
      product looks like an oversize corn dog. If that's not enough, fairgoers
      also have the Kaktus Kutter. It's a chunk of hot pepper cheese stuffed
      inside a green chili, then wrapped in roast beef, turkey, or ham. The
      concoction is batter-dipped and deep-fried."

      [From:
      http://www.meatnews.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Article&artNum=6299

      *07: Lost Nutrients, Global Tea, School Soymilk, Pesticides Tallied
      NUTRIENTS LOST IN BROCCCOLI COOKING METHODS:
      Abstract: "Total flavonoid and individual hydroxycinnamoyl derivative
      contents were evaluated in the edible portions of freshly harvested
      broccoli before and after cooking and in the cooking water. High-pressure
      boiling, low-pressure boiling (conventional), steaming and microwaving were
      the four domestic cooking processes used in this work.

      The results showed large differences among the four treatments in their
      influence on flavonoid and hydroxycinnamoyl derivative contents in
      broccoli. Clear disadvantages were detected when broccoli was microwaved,
      namely high losses of flavonoids (97%), sinapic acid derivatives (74%) and
      caffeoyl-quinic acid derivatives (87%). Conventional boiling led to a
      significant loss of flavonoids (66%) from fresh raw broccoli, while
      high-pressure boiling caused considerable leaching (47%) of caffeoyl-quinic
      acid derivatives into the cooking water. On the other hand, steaming had
      minimal effects, in terms of loss, on both flavonoid and hydroxycinnamoyl
      derivative contents.

      Therefore we can conclude that a greater quantity of phenolic compounds
      will be provided by consumption of steamed broccoli as compared with
      broccoli prepared by other cooking processes."

      [Edited from:
      http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/106558884/ABSTRACT

      [A Critical Look at the Flavonoids:
      http://www.nutritionreporter.com/Look_at_Flavonoids.html

      [Antioxidant Activities of Flavonoids:
      http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w00/flavonoid.html

      [USDA Database for the Flavonoid Content of Selected Foods - 2003
      http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/Flav/flav.html

      TEA IS THE "IN" DRINK OF THE CENTURY:
      (10/15/03): (Press Release - PRWEB Newswire): "Tea, the 5,000-year-old
      beverage which is now a $5.1 billion industry, is becoming the "In" drink
      of the centurydue to its health benefits. All forecasts point to continued
      growth in the years ahead. Steve and Jennifer Fowler spent a recent Friday
      evening sitting around a popular hangout they used to frequent back in
      their college days 20 years earlier. They were sipping their favorite brew.
      It wasn't beer, hard cider or espresso they were talking over. It was a pot
      of hot tea, the 5,000-year-old drink that is becoming the "in" drink of the
      century.

      Last year, tea was a $5.1 billion industry throughout the nation, up around
      150 percent from 1990, according to the Tea Council of the USA Inc. And
      it's not just traditional tea behind the growth. More people are buying tea
      for its health benefits. All forecasts point to continued growth in the
      coming years.

      "Tea is still in its infancy in the U.S. market," said Chas Kroll, managing
      director of San Diego-based Royal Dynasty Tea. "After water, it's the most
      consumed beverage in the world. Its popularity here in the U.S. is
      increasing rapidly."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/10/prweb84352.php

      SCHOOLS MAY ADD SOYMILK TO MENUS:
      (10/14/03: By PHILIP BRASHER Register Washington Bureau): "Something new
      could be coming to school menus - soymilk. First, however, Congress will
      have to settle a fight among the nation's dairy producers and soybean
      growers. Soybean farmers, in an unusual alliance with animal rights
      activists, are lobbying Congress to reimburse schools for offering kids
      soymilk as an alternative to cow's milk.

      An estimated 30 million to 50 million people nationwide are lactose
      intolerant, meaning that they have trouble digesting milk and dairy
      products, a condition that can cause nausea, cramps, bloating and gas. The
      problem is believed to be especially prevalent among blacks and other
      minorities.

      The Broward County school system in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., experimented
      with offering soymilk last year in an elementary school. The pilot program
      was so successful - 15 percent to 20 percent of the kids chose soymilk over
      cow's milk - that the district is going to repeat it this year, said
      Raymond Papa, the district's food service director.

      "Soymilk at this point . . . does not meet the same nutritional needs of
      growing children," said Eric Bost, USDA's undersecretary for food and
      nutrition services. "The other consideration is, how much is it going to
      cost?" Soymilk advocates say the cost will drop when there is enough
      demand in the schools. The dairy industry says concerns about lactose
      intolerance are overblown and it wants the government to expand the use of
      milk in schools.

      Robert Heaney, a physician professor at Creighton University in Omaha,
      Neb., says most people can consume milk without problems even if they lack
      the enzyme to digest it. Intestinal bacteria will take over the job.
      "Milk is a safe, nutritious and economical source of the nutrients our
      children need, and there are no effective alternatives," Heaney told the
      House Education and the Workforce Committee.

      Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin, the senior Democrat on the Senate Agriculture
      Committee, said soymilk could be a "great addition to the choices we
      provide in schools," provided it is nutritionally comparable to cow's milk.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.dmregister.com/business/stories/c4789013/22492928.html

      MOST & LEAST PESTICIDE CONTAMINATED PRODUCE:
      10/21/03: "These 12 popular fresh fruits and vegetables are consistently
      the most contaminated with pesticides:

      * Apples
      * Bell Peppers
      * Celery
      * Cherries
      * Grapes (imported)
      * Nectarines
      * Peaches*
      * Pears
      * Potatoes
      * Red Raspberries
      * Spinach
      * Strawberries

      These 12 popular fresh fruits and vegetables consistently have the lowest
      levels of pesticides.

      * Asparagus
      * Avocados
      * Bananas
      * Broccoli
      * Cauliflower
      * Corn (sweet)
      * Kiwi
      * Mangos
      * Onions
      * Papaya
      * Pineapples
      * Peas (sweet)"

      [Edited from:
      http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sustain/msg1012312926126.html

      [Original source and more details/info:
      http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

      *08: Quick Bytes
      ACTIVISM:
      [Food Not Bombs:
      http://www.foodnotbombs.net

      [Meetup: Organizing Local Interest Groups:
      http://www.meetup.com/

      [Great Links: The Election & The Environment:
      http://www.gristmagazine.com/maindish/schneider101503.asp?source=daily

      ANIMAL ISSUES:
      [Food For Companion Animals:
      http://www.vegan.org/resources/links/index.html#pet_food

      [Adopt A Homeless Pet:
      http://www.petfinders.org

      [Senior Canine Rescue Society:
      http://www.seniordogrescue.org

      [Senior Dog Project:
      http://www.srdogs.com

      THE ENVIRONMENT:
      [New Global Map Of Tree Cover:
      http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images.php3?img_id=16330

      [Satellite Imgs. Of Fires In California:
      http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/natural_hazards_v2.php3?img_id=1
      1804

      HUMAN HEALTH:
      [Health Warning Over Jars Used For Baby Food:
      http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health/story.jsp?story=453794

      [It's Your Health - The Safe Use Of Cookware:
      http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/iyh/products/cookware.html

      [Safety Of Plastics For Cooking: Nice Summary, Comments, Links & The USDA:
      http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/plastic.html

      VEG'NISM:
      [Meet Protein Needs With Beans And Greens:
      http://newsobserver.com/features/story/2951563p-2708107c.html

      ["They Know How To Put The Sizzle In Raw Vegan Food:"
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/17/NBG0O2
      ATSU1.DTL

      ["3 Reasons To Try Tempeh:"
      http://vegweb.com/articles/42.shtml

      [27 Tempeh Recipes:
      http://www.recipesource.com/special-diets/vegetarian/tempeh/

      [147 Tofu Recipes:
      http://www.recipesource.com/special-diets/vegetarian/tofu/indexall.html

      [400 Tofu Recipes:
      http://www.thesoydailyclub.com/members/TheBestofSoyCooking/CONTENTS.asp

      ["Great Tasting Vegan Recipes Free From Animal Products:"
      http://www.vegancooking.com/

      [Home Of Vegan Gourmet Cheese Alternative:
      http://www.ImEarthKind.com/

      ["all About Vegan Nutrition, Ethics, And Lifestyles:"
      http://vegetarian.about.com/cs/vegan/

      ["top Ten" Vegan Websites:
      http://www.veganforlife.org/topten.htm

      [256 Veg'n Societies & Veg'n Orgs. In North America:
      http://www.greenpeople.org/vegetarian.htm

      [Astounding!! "Susan's Vegetarian And Vegan Bookmarks:"
      http://www.myhq.com/public/s/u/susanv/

      [Great Veg'n Online Discussion Boards:
      http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/index.php?

      INFO RE: PIX FROM HOWARD'S CAMERA:
      [Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park... On The Lewis And Clark Trail:
      http://lewisandclarktrail.com/section2/ndcities/BismarckMandan/fortabraham/

      [Wild Bill Hickok & Calamity Jane:
      http://www.sd4history.com/Unit4/hickok_jane_alice.htm
      http://www.watermargin.com/graves/wildbill.html
      http://www.cowgirls.com/dream/cowgals/calamity.htm

      [Battle Of Little Big Horn:
      http://curtis-collection.com/tribe%20data/custer.html

      ["Dances With Wolves" Set:
      http://www.rushmoretours.com/dancesww.html

      [Mt. Rushmore National Park:
      http://www.nps.gov/moru/

      [Crazy Horse Memorial:
      http://www.crazyhorse.org/
      http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/a_c/crazyhorse.htm
      http://www.crazyhorse.org/news/spring2003/index.shtml
      http://www.sdpb.org/index.html?dakotacast/webcam/crazyhorse

      [devils Tower National Monument:
      http://www.nps.gov/deto/

      [veggie Bus:
      http://www.projectbiobus.com/project.htm

      [spitfire Tour:
      http://www.spitfiretour.org/

      [We The Planet:
      http://www.wetheplanet.org/

      Nov 09: Middletown, NY < afternoon: Orange County Community College
      Nov 24: Manhattan, NY < 6 pm: Thanksgiving Dinner - Vegetarian Vision

      Feb 15 - 21: CHIP Cruise
      Apr 07 - 14: Maui, Hawaii

      [More details and contact info at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *10: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      Both Mooshoes and VeganCats will donate 5% of sales accessed through the
      MadCowboy Home Page to the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary.
      Check 'em out! Mooshoes sells much more than shoes, and VeganCats sells
      cruelty-free products for cats AND dogs!

      *11: Closing Thought(s)
      "ACTIVISM CANNOT FIT INTO A BOX because it is as beautiful and diverse as
      the world is. It is your world. What are you willing to do to make it a
      better place for all? That is activism. It is not a stereotype. It is as
      unique and vital as you are.

      I am continuously reminded how each and every one of us is the one to make
      the difference."

      - Julia Butterfly Hill (from her 'blog' (Web Log) on the Sept. 2003 "We
      The Planet/Spitfire" Tour)
      http://www.circleoflife.org/blog/julia/