10/13/03: Fried Oreos, Blue Planet Prize, & Meat Molecules

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2003
      Howdy! Welcome to the 27th issue of the MadCowboy Newsletter.

      Herein you'll learn about what might be a new type of mad cow disease, how
      air pollution in the US Southwest may change our numbers on global
      emissions affecting climate change, and how ineffective the USDA has been
      regarding food-borne disease. You'll read about PCB buildup in animals,
      the Blue Planet Prize winners, Fried Oreos (yuk), the Critter Cam, and the
      possible secret to a monkey's high-energy levels.

      And further on, an intriguing study about non-human molecules from meat
      being transferred to humans consuming meat, the Feds soliciting feedback on
      changing the infamous "Food Pyramid (how YOU can let them know what you
      think), a Vegan Skateboarder's PeTA commercial of note, how non-human
      primates show a sense of "fairness," and why you should respect kangeroos.

      BTW: Howard's been on the road for several weeks, and has promised many
      pictures from the "Spitfire Tour" (with Tracey Chapman and others), as well
      as his experiences in Canada, for the next issue.

      And finally, the overdue online interview with Dr. Pam Popper (of the
      "Wellness Forum") and her extraordinary ideas, efforts, and enthusiasm, has
      been posted. Learn why the "Diet for a New America" video is so, well,
      subversive.... and why she still shows it!

      As usual, a nod of the hat to our new subscribers, and y'all can read past
      issues of the newsletter (searchable!) at:

      Have a great Autumn! Mark Editor/Webmaster (and don't miss the closing
      quote from one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and some
      articles about the Mad Cowboy in Canada ("quick bytes"))

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quote(s) of Note
      01: Popper Interview Now Online!
      03: New Type of BSE?/Animal Feed Limits/Ineffective USDA
      04: PCB Buildup in Animals/Pollution in US S'West/Blue Planet Prize
      05: Fried Oreos, the Critter Cam, and the Monkey's Secret
      06: Meat Molecules/Food Pyramid Change/Farmer's Mkts/Pheidias
      07: Primate Fairness/Zoo'd Carnivores/Frog Eggs/Rescuing Roo
      08: Quick Bytes
      09: Howard's Schedule
      10: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      11: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Quote(s) of Note
      "While traveling over one million miles in my life as an activist I have
      met some of the most remarkable people on the face of the earth. I have
      decided we'd interview some of these folks from time to time so the readers
      of the Mad Cowboy newsletter will get a chance to understand what giants
      they are.

      This group is as diverse as anyone could imagine. They are young and old,
      female and male, quiet and outspoken, foreign and American, every color and
      religion under the sun. The common denominator for this group is they are
      my friends."

      --- Howard, 01/21/03

      *01: Popper Interview Now Online!
      MS: "I'm looking a document that's called the "Testimony of Pamela A.
      Popper, to the Ohio State Commerce and Labor Committee" entitled, "The Ohio
      Board of Dietetics HAS Used Heavy-Handed Tactics In its Investigations."
      HOW did you get involved in this one?"

      PP: "Well, this is a long story. The short version is that essentially when
      I started teaching people how to eat healthier in Columbus, Ohio, it never
      ocurred to me that it might be against the law. So I'm happily doing my
      thing, and one day I got a call from an investigator from the Board [Ohio
      Board of Dietetics] who wanted to know what we are up to. I got checked out
      a little bit, and left alone. I didn't think much of it at the time.

      About a year later, the State Investigator called again. She came out to
      see me and informed me that, unless you are a registered and licensed
      dietician, in the State of Ohio, you can't talk about food. Some of the
      things she said to me almost had me laughing out loud. One of them was that
      if I showed the movie "Diet for a New America" [John Robbins], that could
      be construed as the practice of Dietetics because somebody might change
      their lifestyle habits as a result of seeing that movie."

      MS: [laughs] "...and you're still showing that movie, aren't you?"

      PP: "Oh, we still are. We're TERRIBLE lawbreakers."

      [For the full interview with hyperlinks:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_MCinterviews.000.html

      [NOW: Science & Health - Leasing the Rain - Water Facts:
      http://www.pbs.org/now/science/water2.html

      THIS WEEK'S MIND-BENDER!!!

      "In 1929, this Seventh-Day Adventist (T.A. Van Gundy) was the first
      westerner to make this popular soy product commercially. The earliest
      American document to refer to this product was written by a signer of the
      Declaration of Independence. WHO was he?"

      [E-MAIL YOUR ANSWERS (one guess per person, please!) by 10/27/03 to:
      webmaster@... and please use the word "Contest" in your Subject
      Line]

      [Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, has offered a FREE one-year subscription to
      a winner chosen at random those submitting the correct answer to each MC
      Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you can learn more about
      VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *03: New Type of BSE? Animal Feed Limits & Ineffective USDA
      JAPAN FINDS POSSIBLE NEW TYPE OF MAD COW DISEASE: 10/08/03: (The Japan
      Times): "A Holstein bull slaughtered was confirmed Monday to have been
      infected with mad cow disease. The 23-month-old bull is the eighth case of
      the brain-wasting illness found in Japan and is believed to be the world's
      youngest carrier of the disease also known as bovine spongiform
      encephalopathy, according to the Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry.

      It also said the abnormal prions found in the bull were of a different type
      from those of any of the mad cow infection cases reported worldwide so far.
      The bull was born in October 2001 and was younger than the seven beasts
      previously diagnosed with mad cow disease, the latest of which was
      confirmed in late January. Until now, the youngest infected cow here was 64
      months old.

      Cows examined in Europe for the disease are generally older than 24 months.
      Mad cow disease is believed to be caused by the consumption of
      meat-and-bone meal contaminated with abnormal prions. It has been linked to
      nervous system illnesses such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. It said there
      could be over 30 additional animals in Japan with mad cow disease, which
      first broke out in 1986 in Britain. The fact that the bull, which was born
      after the first domestic case came to light, was confirmed as having the
      disease indicates that there may be another route of contamination, experts
      said.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20031007a3.htm

      FDA TO LIMIT WHAT GOES INTO ANIMAL FEED: 09/24/03: (WASHDC (AP)) -- "The
      government is working on expanding its ban against brains and spinal tissue
      in cattle feed to include food for dogs, cats, pigs and poultry. Stephen
      Sundlof, director of the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the FDA, said
      Tuesday the agency wants to prevent animal diseases from being passed onto
      consumers and other animals.

      The Animal Protection Institute, a California-based animal welfare group,
      said the remnants of slaughtered animals -- such as bones, spinal tissue
      and the brain -- do not belong in pet food. "When it comes to animal feed
      for the welfare of animals like companion animals, we wouldn't want to eat
      that garbage, so why should they?" said DeWitt.

      But Dan Murphy, a meat industry spokesman, said that while meat companies
      want to prevent disease, expanding a ban on the use of spinal and brain
      tissue in animal meal and pet food would leave meat companies with a lot of
      waste to dispose of. "You're talking about the skull, the brain and the
      spinal cord -- that's 100 pounds of material from every animal that would
      end up in a landfill," said Murphy, of the American Meat Institute."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/333/341/369631.html

      USDA CALLS CONAGRA MEAT RECALL INEFFECTIVE: 10/03/03: (by Julie Vorman,
      Reuters, WASHDC): "An investigation by the U.S. Agriculture Department
      into ConAgra Foods Inc.'s 2002 recall of more than 18 million pounds of
      ground beef found the recall was "ineffective and inefficient" and the vast
      majority of the meat was never accounted for. The meat produced at a
      plant in Colorado was linked to an outbreak of E. coli 0157:H7 that caused
      46 illnesses in 16 states, according to the USDA's Office of Inspector
      General.

      "Our audit found that neither ConAgra nor FSIS effectively fulfilled their
      responsibilities," the report said. "Data were available to both ConAgra
      and FSIS in the period prior to the recall that indicated E. coli 0157:H7
      contamination was becoming a continuous problem at ConAgra."

      The USDA investigators described the recall as "ineffective and
      inefficient," noting that only 3 million pounds of the recalled meat was
      recovered by the end of January 2003. The recall was delayed because of
      poor recordkeeping, it said. A spokesman for Swift & Co. said the Colorado
      plant followed all measures prescribed by the USDA, and made its internal
      E. coli test results available to meat inspectors."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-10-03/s_9079.asp

      *04: PCB Buildup in Animals/Pollution in US S'West/Blue Planet Prize
      DANGEROUS CHEMICAL BUILDING UP IN MARINE LIFE AND ARCTIC PEOPLE: 09/20/03:
      (Press Release: WASHDC): "Oceana released a report today that shows the
      devastating impact of polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, on public health
      and animals. The report, "Toxic Burden: PCBs in Marine Life," describes
      levels of PCBs so alarmingly high in humans and marine animals that in one
      case, a bottlenose dolphin was discovered to have PCB levels of 2,000 ppm
      (parts per million), 40 times the amount needed to subject the animal to
      hazardous waste disposal requirements.

      PCBs have long been linked to cancer, birth defects and other harmful
      effects on humans and animals. They are no longer produced in the United
      States but remain one of the most ubiquitous chemicals in the environment.
      The Environmental Protection Agency cautions against eating fish containing
      more than .094 ppm PCBs (simply put, equal to less than one drop of water
      in ten million drops). In 2002, 38 states issued 813 fish consumption
      advisories due to PCBs.

      The POPs Treaty calls for the phase-out and ultimate elimination of 10
      chemicals, which, in addition to PCBs, includes aldrin, endrin, dieldrin,
      hexachlorobenzene, chlordane, DDT, heptachlor, mirex and toxaphene. The
      treaty also restricts the release of dioxins and furans. After signing the
      POPs Treaty with great fanfare in 2001, the White House introduced
      legislation in April 2002 that would gut the treaty because it lacks a
      provision known as an "adding mechanism."

      "Giving the EPA the direction to add new chemicals to the list is vitally
      important," Savitz added. Lawmakers continue to allow production and use of
      other chemicals that are very similar to the banned POPs. In the past few
      months, new studies have been released showing that chemicals such as
      polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), which are used as a flame retardant
      in everyday items such as furniture and clothing, pose serious health risks
      to humans and animals. Recent studies show that women in California have
      three to 10 times more PBDE in their breast milk than European or Japanese
      women.

      [Very edited from:
      http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030929/dcm024_1.html

      [POPs Treaty:
      http://www.chem.unep.ch/pops/

      [The Oceana report:
      http://www.Oceana.org/pops/

      STUDY FINDS HIGH POLLUTION LEVELS IN U.S. SOUTHWEST: 10/07/03: (Reuters,
      WASHDC): "Oil and gas wells and refineries in Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas
      are creating an air pollution problem similar to the notorious smog of Los
      Angeles and Houston, researchers said Monday. The pollution is so bad it
      greatly increases estimates of how much methane the United States is
      pumping into the atmosphere, the scientists report.

      "Based on these findings, it appears that the United States is emitting 4
      [million] to 6 million tons more methane per year than previously
      estimated," said Rowland, who shared the 1995 Nobel prize for chemistry for
      his work on ozone chemistry in the atmosphere. "In fact, our study suggests
      that total hydrocarbon emissions are higher than stated in current
      estimates. This means the American air pollution problem has still another
      new, significant aspect."

      Rowland and Blake said the highest high pollution levels in Texas,
      Oklahoma, and southwestern Kansas correlated with the locations of oil and
      natural gas refineries."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-10-07/s_9156.asp

      WINNERS OF THE 2003 BLUE PLANET PRIZE: "Dr. Gene E. Likens and Dr. F.
      Herbert Bormann will receive the 2003 Blue Planet Prize in Tokyo, on
      Thursday, Oct. 22, 2003. The Blue Planet Prize, in its 12th year, is an
      international environmental award bestowed annually by The Asahi Glass
      Foundation to two individuals or organizations that have made major
      contributions to the conservation of the global environment.

      Likens and Bormann developed the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study, which
      revealed the relationship between fossil fuel use in North America and acid
      rain, and contributed critical data to the U.S. Congress for the 1990 Clean
      Air Act Amendments. Now in its 40th year, the study has become a model for
      the study of whole, intact or experimentally manipulated ecosystems
      throughout the world. The model allows for the evaluation of human effects
      on ecosystem functions. "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/10/prweb83732.php

      *05: Fried Oreos, the Critter Cam, and the Monkey's Secret
      TEXAS-FRIED OREOS, ANYONE?: 09/30/03: (by Jon Herskovitz - DALLAS
      (Reuters): "Welcome to the State Fair of Texas -- Fried potatoes and
      catfish are old hat to Texans at what is billed as the largest state fair
      in the United States. What they long for is a new offering for the vats of
      hot grease to go along with fair favorites such as fried pickles, fried
      okra, fried corn on the cob and fried cheesecake.

      This year, 14 new food items were introduced to the fair and eight of them
      are fried. New to the fair, held in a land that is home to chicken fried
      steak, are items such as fried Oreo cookies, fried candy bars, and fried
      cheese curds. The candy bar is dipped in a batter, fried for about 30
      seconds and served hot on a plate that quickly becomes saturated in oil. A
      calorie count was not immediately available. Last year, fried Twinkies
      were a huge hit, and this year, the new food darling could be fried onion
      on a stick."

      [Edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=1&u=/nm/20030930/
      od_nm/odd_fried_dc

      CRITTER CAM REVEALS BEAR'S-EYE VIEW: 09/14/03: (by Riley Woodford Alaska
      Department of Fish and Game, National Geographic): "The bear was in a
      stream bottom half a mile away, but the view was up close and personal,
      transmitted from a tiny video camera mounted in a collar around the bear's
      neck. The researchers were clustered around a monitor at a makeshift
      hillside outpost.

      The "critter cam" was deployed by a three-man crew from National Geographic
      Television, working with Alaska Department of Fish and Game bear
      researchers Steve Lewis and LaVern Beier. Fish and Game has been studying
      the bears of northeast Chichagof Island, about 40 miles west of Juneau,
      since 1989. The joint team spent 10 days in August working to get the
      cub's-eye view of the world."

      [VERY edited from:
      http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/091403/out_bearcam.shtml

      MONKEY ENERGY SECRET?: (by Lena Sanchez): "Could bananas have anything to
      do with it? Seems so, their three energy boosting natural sugars, sucrose,
      fructose and glucose and when combined with fiber gives an instant,
      sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research studies have proven
      that eating two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute
      workout. Not the only great thing about bananas though! They do not lose
      nutritional content after being picked as do other fruits and vegetables
      with thinner skin!

      Here are some tasty ideas to help some common problems by starting your day
      and ending your day eating a banana.

      Doctors in India have discovered just two bananas a day can reduce blood
      pressure by 10% in just one week. This backs up a previous American study
      showing that eating five bananas a day was 50% as effective as taking
      prescription medication to reduce hypertension. The US Food and Drug
      Administration now allows the banana industry to make official claims for
      the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke. "

      [For the full article and 14 banana-health tips:
      http://www.nutricounter.com/articles/sanchez.htm

      *06: Meat Molecules/Food Pyramid Change/Farmer's Mkts/Pheidias
      NON-HUMAN MOLECULE IS ABSORBED BY EATING RED MEAT: 09/29/03: (National
      Academy of Sciences Press Release): "A non-human, cellular molecule is
      absorbed into human tissues as a result of eating red meat and milk
      products, according to a study by researchers at the University of
      California, San Diego (UCSD) School of Medicine, published in Proceedings
      of the National Academy of Sciences. The researchers also showed that the
      same foreign molecule generates an immune response that could potentially
      lead to inflammation in human tissues.

      Several previous studies have linked ingestion of red meat to cancer and
      heart disease, and possibly to some disorders involving inflammation.
      However, that research has primarily focused on the role of red-meat
      saturated fats and on products that arise from cooking. The UCSD study is
      the first to investigate human dietary absorption of a cell-surface
      molecular sugar called N-glycolylneuraminic acid (Neu5Gc), which is found
      in non-human mammals. Not produced in humans, Neu5Gc occurs naturally in
      lamb, pork and beef, the so-called "red meats". Levels are very low or
      undetectable in fruits, vegetables, hen's eggs, poultry and fish.

      [Full press release, and table of Food Products and Sialic Acid/Neu5Gc content:
      http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/health/09_29_Varki.htm

      NEW FOOD PYRAMID RUNS INTO OPPOSITION: 09/25/03: (by Emily Gersema, WASH
      AP): "The government's plan for a new food pyramid to help fat people lose
      weight is running into opposition from experts on the panel writing the
      guidelines for it. ...some are questioning whether the guidelines are the
      place for tackling that problem. At the committee's first meeting this
      week, some members also said a stronger "eat less, exercise more" message
      aimed at fat consumers will not reduce obesity. They said the guidelines
      should continue to focus on helping Americans maintain their present
      weight.

      "It's not that I'm opposed to weight loss," said Russell R. Pate, a fitness
      expert from the University of South Carolina and an adviser for a food
      industry research group, the International Food Information Council. "But
      by focusing on weight maintenance, you're encouraging calorie balance."

      At the guideline committee's meeting this week, several members indicated a
      preference for continuing to target the government's advice to healthy
      consumers. Critics say that would avoid sending an "eat less" message
      vehemently opposed by the food industry. "

      [Edited from:
      http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2003/09/25/pyramid/

      [PUBLIC INPUT ON PYRAMID SOLICITED FROM USDA:
      http://www.usda.gov/news/releases/2003/09/0308.htm

      LOCAL FARMERS' MARKETS ARE A HEALTHY CHOICE: 09/26/03: (by Laura Faye
      Taxel, E Magazine): "According to statistics from the USDA there's been a
      63 percent increase in the number of farmers markets nationwide since 1994.
      There are more than 3,000 farmer's markets currently in operation,
      generating more than $1 billion annually. This impacts more than what goes
      on the plate.

      "Our customers come from all walks of life, all income levels," said
      special projects market manager Gabrielle Langholtz. "You don't need to be
      a gourmet to recognize how much better this food tastes." Unlike the
      fruits and vegetables from big commercial growers, which are bred for
      durability and their suitability for mechanical harvesting and handling,
      Greenmarket vendors [NYC] choose varieties for their flavor and pick them
      at the peak of ripeness.

      It's estimated that food processing, packaging, transportation, and
      marketing consume 75 to 85 percent of the energy used in the commercial
      food industry. Farmer's markets are the lynchpin of a nationwide,
      grassroots effort to create an alternative: sustainable food systems that
      directly connect growers and producers with their customers."

      [Edited from the full and marvelous article at:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-09-26/s_6691.asp

      [National Association of Farmers Markets:
      http://www.farmersmarkets.net/

      PHEIDIAS IN PETA TV AD: 10/09/03: (Press Release, PETA): "Vegan
      Skateboard Pro Urges Young People to Kick the Meat Habit:" "The folks at
      peta2.com - PETA's alternative Web site that encourages members of
      Generation "Why?" to fight for animal rights - nearly flipped when
      skateboarding pro Laban Pheidias, a lifelong vegetarian, offered to star in
      a new PETA pro-vegetarian ad. Now the ad,. . . .is getting a big-time
      national debut, thanks to Fusion TV, a nonstop action show that runs on Fox
      Sports. Although PETA originally planned to pay to run the spot a limited
      number of times on Fusion TV, the show's producers were so impressed with
      it that they are running it-for free-through the end of the year.

      Why are Laban, Dave, and PETA so down on meat? Consumption of meat and
      other animal products is responsible for intense animal suffering,
      environmental devastation, and a host of life-threatening illnesses,
      including heart disease, strokes, cancer, diabetes, and obesity.

      "Three million animals are killed every hour in the U.S. for meat," says
      Laban. "Meat is full of steroids, antibiotics, fat, and cholesterol-I don't
      want to put that in my body! Farming animals is what is depleting our soil,
      choking our oceans, and burning our rain forests."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.skateboarding.com/skate/news/article/0,12364,517226,00.html

      [For more information and to view the ad:
      http://www.peta2.com/ot/o-spotlight-laban.html.

      [To view trailers from Pheidias' video:
      http://www.AmericanMisfits.com

      *07: Primate Fairness/Zoo'd Carnivores/Frog Eggs/Rescuing Roo
      A SENSE OF FAIRNESS IN NONHUMAN PRIMATES: 09/19/03: (Emory University
      Health Sciences Center), Atlanta): "In the first experimental
      demonstration of its kind, researchers led by Sarah Brosnan and Frans de
      Waal, PhD, at the Yerkes National Primate Research Center of Emory
      University, and the Living Links Center, have shown nonhuman primates
      respond negatively to unequal reward distribution, a reaction often seen in
      humans based on their universal sense of fairness. While researchers have
      long recognized the sense of fairness within the human species, Brosnan and
      de Waal are the first to confirm this trait in nonhuman primates. The
      findings appear in the September 18 issue of Nature.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/09/030918092951.htm

      WIDE-ROAMING CARNIVORES SUFFER MOST IN ZOOS: 10/01/03: (by James
      Randerson, New Scientist): "Carnivores with large home ranges have worse
      reactions to being caged than those that roam less widely in the wild,
      according to a major study of zoo animal welfare. The researchers
      conclude that wide-ranging carnivores should not be kept in captivity. "If
      we can't keep them well then don't keep them at all," says Ros Clubb at
      Oxford University, UK, who compiled the research.

      Scientists have suggested before that range size is important, but the new
      work is the first to show this with comprehensive data. The home range of
      polar bears, for example, is around one million times bigger than the size
      of a typical enclosure, and the species is notorious for developing
      behavioural problems in captivity.

      Journal reference: Nature (vol 425, p 473)

      FROG EGGS FALL FROM THE SKY ONTO HOME IN BERLIN: 10/01/03: (by Kathryn
      Masterson, AP, Berlin, Conn.): "In a scene that sounds more biblical than
      plausible, masses of amphibian eggs rained down on Primo D'Agata's porch
      last month as the remnants of Hurricane Isabel moved through the state.

      Biologists from nearby Central Connecticut State University say the eggs
      are likely from frogs. "It is quite possible the storm carried the eggs
      right up the coast and dropped them here in Connecticut," Diaz said. "If
      you had a strong wind and strong updraft, it could lift something right
      up," he said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-ct--flyingfrogeggs1001oct01,0,35840
      98,print.story?coll=ny-ap-regional-wire

      ROO TO THE RESCUE: 09/22/03: (ABC News, AU): "A man knocked unconscious
      by a tree branch during the weekend's storms in north-eastern Victoria has
      been rescued, reportedly, by a Morwell family's pet kangaroo. The kangaroo
      kept banging on the door of the family's house in Tanjil South, then led it
      to the man lying unconscious about 150 metres away.

      Rural Ambulance Victoria paramedic Eddie Wright says the man was taken to
      the Austin Hospital with serious head injuries. He says he could have died
      if he had not been found until later. "The kangaroo alerted them to where
      he was and has gone and sat down next to him and that's how they found
      him," he said.

      "Especially when you consider it's not a pet as such, it's just an animal
      that's adopted them over the years and comes and goes as it is free to,
      they were lucky yesterday it was in the area."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s950492.htm

      *08: Quick Bytes
      NEW ARTICLES ABOUT HOWARD:
      ["Vegetarian cowboy risks Canada mad cow showdown"
      http://www.forbes.com/business/newswire/2003/10/01/rtr1097059.html

      [Mad Cow, Mad World: Howard Lyman Comes to Winnipeg
      http://www.mts.net/~wva/lyman.html

      ACTIVISM:
      [Action Center - Organic Consumers Association:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/action.htm

      ANIMAL ISSUES:
      [Amelia's Wild-Life Newsletter: lotta pix, links:
      http://www.ameliakinkade.com/autumn03newsletter/

      [Gentle Thanksgiving, National Meat-Out:
      http://www.farmusa.org

      [Superb always updated website:
      http://www.animalconcerns.org

      THE ENVIRONMENT:
      [The EnviroLink Network:
      http://www.envirolink.org/

      HUMAN HEALTH:
      [The Potential Dangers of Sucralose 12/3/00 (SPLENDA):
      http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm

      VEG'NISM:
      [The Post Punk Kitchen: Vegetarian cooking & vegan baking with no attitude:
      http://www.theppk.com/

      [Ton of great links to recipes, advice, and more for vegetarians old and new:
      http://www.vegsource.com/talk/beginner/messages/137422.html

      [Vegetarian Vision:
      http://www.vegetarianvision.org/

      [OrgasmicVegan:
      http://www.orgasmicvegan.org/

      [Vegetarian cooking school - SDA program in Guam:
      http://www.guampdn.com/news/stories/20030926/lifestyle/330857.html

      [Vegan Society:
      http://www.vegansociety.com/html/

      [Vegetarian Societies and Vegetarian Organizations for vegetarian food and
      a vegetarian diet
      http://www.veganfood.com/

      [Veg Articles:
      http://vegweb.com/misc/articles.shtml

      [Guide to Fast Food -- The Vegetarian Resource Group
      http://www.vrg.org/catalog/ff.htm

      [The comprehensive L.A.-based Internet Website:
      http://www.vegparadise.com

      Oct 17 - 19: San Rafael CA < Bioneers Conference

      Nov 09: Middletown, NY < afternoon: Orange County Community College
      Nov 24: Manhattan, NY < 6 pm: Thanksgiving Dinner - Vegetarian Vision

      Feb 15 - 21: CHIP Cruise
      Apr 07 - 14: Maui, Hawaii

      [More details and contact info at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *10: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      Both Mooshoes and VeganCats will donate 5% of sales accessed through the
      MadCowboy Home Page to the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary.
      Check 'em out! Mooshoes sells much more than shoes, and VeganCats sells
      cruelty-free products for cats AND dogs!

      *11: Closing Thought(s)
      "Unless we put medical freedom into the Constitution, the time will come
      when medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship ... To restrict
      the art of healing to one class of men and deny equal privileges to others
      will constitute the Bastille of medical science. All such laws are
      un-American and despotic and have no place in a republic ... The
      Constitution of this republic should make special privilege for medical
      freedom as well as religious freedom."

      --- Benjamin Rush, M.D., signer of The Declaration of Independence,
      physician to George Washington. from THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF BENJAMIN RUSH

      [cited at: http://altmedangel.com/ ]