08_17_03: Howard & Kucinich, Feed your mind, & Planet YOU

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2003
      Howdy! Welcome to the 25th Issue of the MadCowboy e-Newsletter!

      This one's a bit late as there's been many Veg'n-related conferences in
      July and August.

      In this edition of the Newsletter, you'll see exclusive pix of Vegan
      Presidential Candidate and Congressman Dennis Kucinich and Howard, learn
      about the "America's 1st Food Chain," hear of new findings about green tea
      and cancer prevention, understand why "feeding your mind" is important,
      that proper nutrition can be as effective as drugs in reducing cholesterol
      levels in your blood, and be surprised that cell phones threaten Ape
      populations in Africa.

      You'll also marvel at the biodiversity of Planet YOU, read about the "Sheep
      Whisperer", be encouraged by new efforts to track Global Climate Change,
      restaurants going "green", science validating increases in US food portions
      and obesity effects --- let alone have a preview of an upcoming interview
      with Dr. Pam Popper (The Wellness Forum).

      Finally...look closely and you'll see some new material from Howard's 3ABN
      broadcasts, favorite pix of the Mad Cowboy at AR2003West in L.A., CA, and a
      multitude of new resource links in "Quick Bytes" to meet many interests.

      ....and as always, a nod to our new subscribers. Y'all can read past
      issues of the newsletter at:

      Here's hoping everyone's having a great summer and that our subscribers in
      Cleveland, New York, and Canada, have sufficent power to run their
      computers (finally).

      Best, Mark Editor

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quote(s) of Note
      01: EXCLUSIVE! Dennis Kucinich and Howard
      02: New Pix from Howard's Digital Camera
      04: Tea Health, Diet vs. Drugs, Food Portions, Feed the Mind
      05: ANST01, Cell Phones/Apes, Whales Undercount, Planet YOU
      06: Humor: Elephants Know Swedish, Sheep Whisperer
      07: Tracking Change, Soils Crisis, Drip Irrigation, Eating Green
      08: Quick Bytes
      09: Howard's Schedule
      10: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      11: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Quote(s) of Note
      "And they said you're never gonna get half of the people to do anything. I
      said we don't need half. Less than 20% of the people are thinking, 80% of
      the people out there today are part of the herd. They are following nose to
      tail, and if you follow nose to tail there is only one thing you ever see
      in front of you.

      We need to go and talk to the 20% of the people that are still thinking.

      I went out and started talking to the American people and I talked to 'em
      about God's creation, I talked to 'em about our environment and our animals
      and what we were doing with our natural resources. For me it has been one
      of the most phenomenal things in the world. Because I've learned as much
      from those people as what they have learned from me.

      Our job, our job is not to individually save the world. Our job is to do
      what we can do, walking our talk. Do we ever stop and think about that?
      Do we stop and think about that when I get up in the morning and I walk
      outside and the birds are singing, the dew is there and the sun is coming
      up, it is one of the most magnificent things in the world. Are we thinking
      about who's making the decisions about what we are doing? Are we getting
      involved? I think that we need right now, each and every one of us, to
      look at the issues that are out there, whether it is collection of our
      trash, taxes, voter registration, look at what happened in the last
      presidential election in Florida, where they ended up where thousands of
      people were denied the opportunity to vote because of the problems with
      their registration. These are the things that need to be dealt with at the
      local level. We need to get involved in all elections. This doesn't mean
      that you have to go out and spend money, but you need to educate yourself."

      ---- Howard Lyman (edited from the 3ABN "Earth Talk" Segment, "Politics")

      "These buildings [state government] should be full of people who are
      concerned enough about what's going on, to come down here and scream and
      holler, and talk to people. They're not. And that's very very disturbing,
      and that's how this whole situation got to the where it is.

      And the way we'll undo it, and this is why the work that Howard's doing is
      important, what I am doing is important, is we just have to go out there.
      Every time I'm in front of a hundred people, two hundred, ten thousand...
      it doesn't matter how many, because those people are going to tell other
      people, and we're going to build this critical mass to the place where so
      many people are educated, that these companies and these governments can't
      get away with this stuff any more."

      ---- Dr. Pamela Popper, The Wellness Forum (from the upcoming Mad Cowboy
      Interview!)

      *01: EXCLUSIVE! Dennis Kucinich and Howard
      [Howard has a private chat with Vegan Presidential Candidate and
      Congressman Dennis Kucinich:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/08.04.03_HL_Kucinich_PIX/index.html

      [For information about Dennis Kucinich's campaign:
      http://www.kucinich.us

      *02: New Pix from Howard's Digital Camera
      [Howard in Oklahoma visiting friends and at AR2003East:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/07_31_03_HL_AR2003E_OK_PIX/index.html

      INFO ABOUT HARVEYHOUSES:

      ["America's First Restaurant Chain:"
      http://www.epicurus.com/Angelonesept.html

      [Website devoted to the many stories around Harvey Houses:
      http://www.harveyhouses.net/

      [Info about the Harvey House Restoration project Howard visited:
      http://www.waynoka.org/

      LAST ISSUE'S QUESTION WAS: "They constitute between 90 and 95% of all
      animal life on earth (either in biomass or quantity). What are they?" HINT
      for those 30 to 40ish: "Poor Mr. Loopner's birth defect."

      Phil and Julie Segura from Dallas, Oregon, correctly answered
      "invertebrates." They won the random pick from correct entries.
      Congratulations!

      [For statistics and more:
      http://www.xerces.org/

      [The Hint: on Saturday Night Live, Jane Curtain would moan about her
      husband dying young. "Poor Mr. Loopner, he was born without a spine."]

      THIS WEEK'S MIND-BENDER!!!
      "What human activity provides close to 40% of the total amount of oil
      entering our global oceans?"

      [E-MAIL YOUR ANSWERS (one guess per person, please!) by 08/31/03 to:
      webmaster@... and please use the word "Contest" in your Subject
      Line]

      [Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, has offered a FREE one-year subscription to
      a winner chosen at random those submitting the correct answer to each MC
      Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you can learn more about
      VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *04: Tea Health, Diet vs. Drugs, Food Portions, Feed the Mind
      GREEN TEA: A CUP FULL OF HEALTH: (08/07/03): "Green tea's ability to fight
      cancer is even more potent and varied than scientists suspected, research
      suggests. Scientists already know that green tea contains anti-oxidants
      that may protect against cancer. But now they have discovered that
      chemicals in the tea also shut down a key molecule that can play a
      significant role in the development of cancer.

      Tobacco smoke and dioxins, in particular, disrupt the functioning of the
      molecule and cause it to trigger potentially harmful gene activity. The
      researchers, from Rochester University, found that two chemicals in green
      tea inhibit [this] activity. The chemical is similar to compounds called
      flavonoids, which are found in broccoli, cabbage, grapes and red wine, and
      which are also known to help prevent cancer.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,6875291%255E662,00.htm

      DIET MAY CUT CHOLESTEROL AS MUCH AS DRUGS DO: (07/23/03, by Sarah Graham):
      "Eating a diet similar to that of our ape ancestors can have as much of an
      effect on cholesterol levels as modern medicine does, a new study suggests.
      Results published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association
      indicate that a strict, low-fat vegetarian diet high in specific plant
      products can lower levels of bad cholesterol as much as widely prescribed
      statin drugs can.

      "As we age, we tend to get raised cholesterol, which in turn increases our
      risk of heart disease," Jenkins explains. "This study shows that people now
      have a dietary alternative to drugs to control their cholesterol, at least
      initially."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=000C594C-D1D7-1F1D-B4FD8
      0A84189EEDF

      [Actual Study Abstract,JAMA. 2003;290:502-510:
      http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/290/4/502

      RESEARCHER DOCUMENTS GROWTH OF U.S. PORTIONS - AND U.S. WAISTLINES:
      (07/17/03, AICR Press Release, WASHDC): "Studies Now Confirm That Portions
      Have Gotten Bigger; Allow Scientists to Measure the Effect of Oversize
      Portions on Overeating: A recent flurry of scientific research on US
      portion sizes has transformed two previously unconfirmed beliefs into hard
      scientific facts: US portion sizes have never been bigger, and bigger
      portions encourage overeating - by as much as 56 percent.

      Speaking at a press conference at the American Institute for Cancer
      Research (AICR) International Research Conference, Dr. Barbara Rolls of the
      Pennsylvania State University explained how emerging science is allowing
      scientists to definitively answer lingering questions about the role of
      portion size in the obesity epidemic.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.aicr.org/presscorner/pubsearchdetail.lasso?index=1644

      FEED THE MIND AND SAVE THE BRAIN, STUDY SHOWS: (08/11/03): "WASHINGTON -
      People who are more intelligent and better educated use their brains
      differently, which in turn may help to explain why keeping the mind active
      can protect against Alzheimer's Disease, researchers say.

      United States studies have shown that people who do puzzles, who dance and
      who keep their minds active have a lower risk of Alzheimer's - the most
      common cause of dementia.

      This has led scientists to believe that some people have a "cognitive
      reserve" that allows them to tolerate more damage from Alzheimer's and
      other brain diseases. Yaakov Stern, a professor of neuropsychology at
      Columbia University in New York, and colleagues have done a series of brain
      imaging experiments that suggest it is not how much brain you have, but how
      you use it, that matters. Whatever was at work must start early in life,
      he said - before the brain damage caused by Alzheimer's started. An
      estimated 38,000 New Zealanders have dementia, and it is estimated that 8
      per cent of adults over the age of 65 are affected."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3517294&thesection=news&thesu
      bsection=world&thesecondsubsection=

      ["Cognition and Lifestyle:" Journal of Clinical and Experimental
      Neuropsychology 2003, Vol.25, No.5, pp. 625-633
      http://www.szp.swets.nl/szp/frameset.htm?url=%2Fszp%2Fjournals%2Fjc.htm

      *05: ANST01, Cell Phones/Apes, Whales Undercount, Planet YOU
      ANST 101: ANIMALS AND SOCIETY: DIVERSE PERSPECTIVES: "Animal Studies 101,
      the first accredited college course of its kind, will be offered this fall
      [2003] by CCBC Dundalk (in Baltimore County). The course will explore the
      ways animals are viewed by various subcultures in American society. The
      course will look at factory farming, medical research, hunting and
      trapping, and entertainment industries. Writing instructor Brenda Fick,
      and former PETA Executive Director/editor of Animals Agenda, Kim
      Stallwood, will teach the course. The course reference number is 97726,
      ANST 193 (page 25 of the fall schedule). For more information, please
      contact Brenda Fick at 410-285-9877, or bfick@..."

      [From the Veg-DC list, from Don Robertson. Course listing online:
      http://www.ccbc.cc.md.us/academics/dundalk/home.html

      CELL PHONE USE ENDANGERS APES: (07/17/03, ENS, London, UK): "As the debate
      rages about the possible health hazards to humans of cell phones, a British
      television documentary has aired the claim that mobile phone technology is
      endangering some African ape populations. "No Hiding Place - Part Two,"
      made by Television Trust for the Environment (TVE), and shown on BBC World
      in its Earth Report series, argued that extraction of the mineral coltan
      has put great apes at risk.

      Coltan is used to make pinhead capacitors, which regulate voltage and store
      energy in mobile phones. The mineral is obtained mainly from the Democratic
      Republic of Congo (DRC). This eastern lowland gorilla (Gorilla beringei
      graurei) is dependent on intact forests in the Democratic Republic of the
      Congo. Part of the DRC territory is the remaining stronghold of the
      eastern lowland gorilla, populations of which are in steep decline. A
      United Nations initiative to save the apes could reverse damage done so
      far, says the film - but time is of the essence.

      Evidence suggests that in the last five years these eastern lowland
      gorillas have declined by 80 to 90 percent, with just 3,000 or so animals
      left alive."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.ecoisp.com/species20.asp

      [To watch BBC video online:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/cta/progs/02/earth_report/10jun.ram

      WHALES' RECOVERY 'VASTLY OVERESTIMATED': (07/24/03, Alex Kirby, BBC News
      Online): "Several great whale species were once far more abundant than
      records suggest, geneticists say. They think there were about 10 times
      more fin and humpback whales in the North Atlantic than modern estimates
      claim. But minke whale numbers appear historically to have been much
      closer to current populations.

      The findings could radically change the terms of the debate on a possible
      resumption of whaling. The geneticists, from the universities of Stanford
      and Harvard, US, report their findings in the magazine Science. The
      immediate significance of what [the geneticists] are saying lies in the
      debate over the resumption of commercial whaling, suspended since 1986
      under an IWC moratorium. There is pressure, led by Japan, Norway and
      Iceland, to lift the moratorium.

      The IWC says there can be no whaling until populations have returned to at
      least 54% of their historic levels. Other arguments aside, that could mean
      North Atlantic humpbacks being killed again some time within the next
      decade. But the genetic analysis suggests whaling should not start for
      something like 70 or 100 years."

      [Very edited from:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/sci/tech/3092711.stm

      BIODIVERSITY THRIVES ON THE PLANET YOU: (07/22/03, by Chet Raymo):
      "...what you don't know, or don't want to know -- is that your body is a
      planet as densely populated with creatures as is the planet Earth --
      creatures a million, 10 million, times smaller than you; creatures not
      visible to the unaided eye. But shrink yourself to the size of a bacterium,
      say, and land on planet You. You'd find the place teeming with beasties of
      every sort. All those creatures that inhabit your body live in a delicate
      equilibrium with each other and with their host planet. Good health depends
      on maintaining balance.

      A recent article in the journal Nature discussed the fate of a bacterium,
      H. pylori, that inhabits the human stomach and causes ulcers and stomach
      cancer. It turns out that, thanks to improved sanitation and widespread use
      of antibiotics, the bacteria is on the decline in many parts of the world,
      and faces extinction.

      Great, you say. Sounds like a public-health triumph. But not all scientists
      agree. The tremendous evolutionary success of H. pylori as a denizen of
      human guts suggests that it offers some advantages to the host, they say.
      It may protect against childhood diarrhea, a major killer in parts of the
      world, by boosting the immune system and producing peptides that kill other
      bacteria. It is also possible that H. pylori's decline is behind an
      increase in acid-reflux diseases and cancer of the esophagus. In other
      words, solving one health problem by eliminating an apparently pernicious
      species may lead to other maladies that are just as bad or worse.

      Maintaining biodiversity on planet You may be just as important as
      maintaining biodiversity on planet Earth.''

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/203/science/Biodiversity_thrives_on_the_planet
      _You+.shtml

      *06: Humor: Elephants Know Swedish, Sheep Whisperer
      ELEPHANTS DON'T UNDERSTAND SWEDISH, YET: (07/18/03, Stockholm, Sweden):
      "When the Swedish royal couple visited Thailand earlier this year, they
      were presented with two elephants as a gift from the king of Thailand. But
      the giant mammals don't understand Swedish, so two zookeepers are traveling
      to Thailand to learn Thai.

      "The elephants must be able to understand commands in the languages they've
      been raised with, so that we don't have to teach them Swedish," Magnus
      Nilsson, chief executive of Sweden's Kolmaarden safari park, told The
      Associated Press on Friday."

      [Edited from:
      http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2003/07/18/139715-ap.html

      "SHEEP WHISPERER" SPEAKS TO BIGHORN WITH CRACKERS: (08/15/03, Santa Fe,
      NM, Reuters): "New Mexico Game and Fish Department officials said they were
      frustrated by efforts earlier this week to relocate about 30 to 40 bighorn
      sheep from 12,300-foot (3.75 km) Mt. Wheeler. The first day of the
      operation ended with no Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep in traps and several
      forest officials staring up mountain at a herd that they could not entice
      to move.

      Equipped with eight wheat crackers and a knack for calling sheep, game
      department intern Fernando Clemente managed to entice 30 sheep about half a
      mile (1 km) down from the mountaintop. Game officials followed the cue
      that the animals may have a taste for salt and were able to capture eight
      ewes and two lambs who were caught munching on carefully placed Doritos and
      other snack chips left on a trap.

      The intern who lured the bighorn down the mountain has been dubbed "The
      Sheep Whisperer" in honor of the character who has an amazing ability to
      communicate with animals played by actor Robert Redford in the movie "The
      Horse Whisperer"

      [Edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=857&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20030815
      /od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_bighorn

      [Privatization of National Parks animation:
      http://www.markfiore.com/animation/parks.html

      *07: Tracking Change, Soils Crisis, Drip Irrigation, Eating Green
      GLOBAL TRACKING OF CLIMATE CHANGE PLANNED: (08/01/03, by Matthew Lee,
      WashDC): "The world rapidly needs to develop an integrated system to
      observe and rack climate change and other environmental trends on Earth,
      government officials and scientists from more that 30 countries have
      agreed. Participants at the Earth Observation Summit, held here at the
      Washington headquarters of the U.S. State Department, pledged to move ahead
      with an "international, comprehensive, coordinated and sustained"
      monitoring mechanism within a decade.

      The aim is to link the thousands of individual land, sea and space-based
      climate observation technologies to better predict environmental changes
      and natural disasters and limit their impact, they said. Such a system
      would greatly improve weather forecasting, particularly with major trends
      such as El Niño, crop yield estimates, the monitoring of water and air
      quality, boost airline safety and promote climate-related health research,
      they said.

      El Niño forecasting, a global effort, saves businesses and crop managers
      worldwide an estimated at US$450 to US$550 million annually. For every
      dollar invested in improving weather forecasting, farmers reap 15 in
      benefits, they said. There are other benefits: the annual cost of
      electricity could decrease by at least US$1 billion if forecasts could be
      improved by just one degree. And, the airline industry, which now loses
      about US$4 billion a year because of weather-related delays and
      cancellations, could cut those losses by as much as US$1.7 billion through
      better forecasting."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s915253.htm

      WORLD SCIENTISTS MEET ON SOILS CRISIS: (International Soil Tillage Research
      Organization Media Release, 07/09/03): "Leading international scientists
      meet in Australia next week to hammer out solutions to a growing crisis
      affecting the soils that produce most of the world's food. Heavy modern
      farming equipment is causing widespread damage to soils, leading to water
      loss, increased risk of floods, pollution of waterways, poorer crop yields
      and global warming, the researchers warn.

      "As populations and cities expand, the world is literally running out of
      good soils on which to grow food - so we need to look after what we have
      with extraordinary care," says [ Univ. of Queenland's] Dr. Jeff Tullberg,
      president of ISTRO, the International Soil Tillage Research Organisation.
      The wheel has been a great human invention for 5000 years - but 5 tonne
      wheel pressures also compress and damage the soil. This causes greater
      water runoff leading to flooding, pollution by pesticides and fertilisers,
      and the loss of soil, water and crop yield. It even has implications for
      global warming."

      "Now, using controlled traffic, we are restricting the wheels to just 15
      per cent of the area of land used for cultivation, so the 85 per cent
      remains healthy and undamaged."

      "A healthy soil 'breathes'. It is more open, stores more water, and allows
      both water and air to pass through. It makes better use of fertilizers and
      reduces runoff. It encourages worms and plant roots. The result is higher
      food production - and fewer environmental problems off the farm."

      [Very edited from:
      http://lists.justnet.info/pipermail/asc-media/2003-July/000357.html

      DRIP IRRIGATION ISN'T JUST FOR COMMERCIAL GARDENERS ANYMORE: (08/07/03, by
      Dean Fosdick, AP, New Market, VA): "Extensive drought and tougher water
      restrictions are forcing homeowners to water more efficiently and more
      responsibly. In many areas of the nation, there simply isn't enough water
      to go around. Enter drip irrigation, which ends the wasteful practice of
      spraying or gushing water into the air. The system simply drips, applying
      moisture precisely where and when plants need it. There's little
      evaporation and virtually no runoff.

      The concept isn't new, says Larry Stein, an associate professor and
      extension horticulturist with Texas A&M University. German and Italian
      horticulturists were working out the kinks in the 1930s. "However, it took
      the development of UV-light resistant plastic pipes and fittings to make
      drip irrigation practical for home gardeners," Stein says in a recent Texas
      A&M brochure, Lawn and Garden Update.

      The most practical home applications are in gardens, hedgerows, flowerbeds
      and around trees and shrubs, Stein says. "The key to making drip irrigation
      work in home landscapes is scheduling - knowing when and how long to
      water," he says. Drip irrigation systems are made up of hose or tubing,
      filters, pressure regulators, couplers, emitters and a plan."

      [Edited from (where there are also tips for conventional watering):
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-08-07/s_7311.asp

      IT'S SO EASY EATING GREEN: "Restaurants Inch Toward Sustainability" (by
      Sara Bir), 07/13/03: "The restaurant industry accounts for 10 percent of
      the U.S. economy. That means that tons of crumpled napkins, countless
      gallons of sanitizer-laced dishwater, and millions of those little
      squeezable ketchup packets result from our national obsession with eating
      out. Restaurants are one of the country's top consumers of energy.
      According to the National Restaurant Association, they account for 42
      percent of all retail spending on fuels for heating. That's why some chefs
      and restaurateurs are pitching in to make dining out a greener experience.

      Erin Wheeler is a chef and one of the five co-owners of Sparks, a vegan
      restaurant that opened in Cotati in 2001 and later moved to Guerneville.
      Sparks' earth-friendly consciousness extends beyond the food on the plate
      to the plate itself and the napkin next to it. "We pretty much recycle
      everything that we use," Wheeler says.

      As for the food, "we definitely do on-site composting and recycling at
      caterings," Wheeler says. "We take responsibility of disposals for both and
      bring them back to the restaurant and incorporate that into our normal
      composting and recycling."

      [Edited from the long article with useful tips for consumers:
      http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/07.17.03/dining-0329.html

      [For an article about the upscale vegan Sparks Restaurant:
      http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/07.17.03/dining-0329.html

      *08: Quick Bytes
      ANIMALS:
      [Pix: Selected photos of Howard at AR2003West:
      http://www.animalrights2003.org/AR2003_0801_mssPIX/pictures/pdrm0001.html
      http://www.animalrights2003.org/AR2003_0801_mssPIX/pictures/pdrm0025.html
      http://www.animalrights2003.org/AR2003_0801_mssPIX/pictures/pdrm0108.html
      http://www.animalrights2003.org/AR2003_0801_mssPIX/pictures/qpdrm0043.html
      http://www.animalrights2003.org/AR2003_0801_mssPIX/pictures/qpdrm0047.html

      [Website: Excellent resource of info, links, events, and more:
      http://www.farmedanimal.net

      [Article: Canada introduces strict mad cow safeguards:
      http://www.reutershealth.com/archive/2003/07/21/eline/links/20030721elin001.html

      VEG'N:
      [Website: Fat-free veg'n online database of recipes:
      http://www.fatfree.com

      [Website: Innovative vegan recipes:
      http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com

      [Website: vegetarian teens online (by teens, for teens):
      http://www.rawveganteen.com/

      [Website: B12 recommendations for vegans (Vegan Outreach)"
      http://www.veganoutreach.org/health/b12rec.html

      [Letter: What every vegan should know about B12:
      http://www.veganhealth.org/everyvegan/

      [Article: Go meatless the healthy way:
      http://www.msnbc.com/news/952178.asp?cp1=1

      [Article: Get in the raw:
      http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2003/08/13/bz13.htm

      [Article: What to feed a vegetarian party animal:
      http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030813/NEWS/308130585/
      1006

      [Website: Vegetarian Starter Guide > Shopping List Suggestions:
      http://www.tryveg.com/shopping.php

      [ABCNEWS.com: Tips on Keeping Kids at the Right Weight:
      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/US/OverweightKids030730.html

      FOOD SOURCES OF NOTE:
      [Website: The 1st quick serve meatless restaurant:
      http://www.mrgoodburgers.com/

      [Website: 1st vegan fast food francise:
      http://www.eatopiaexpress.com/mainframe.html

      [Website: Welcome to Wild Oats Natural Marketplace
      http://www.wildoats.com/app/cda/oat_cda.html?pt=Home

      GARDENING:
      [Pix: Burtonsville, MD Community Gardens:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/07.24.03.BCGardens.PIX/index.html

      [Website: Long Beach Organic Community Gardens:
      http://longbeachorganic.org/CommGardens.htm

      [PDF: Community Garden Start-up Guide:
      http://longbeachorganic.org/Site/englishstartupguide.PDF

      SUSTAINABILIY:
      [Article: Earth-Friendly Ways to Clean Your Room
      http://www.teenwire.com/infocus/articles/if_20011113p133.asp

      [Website: 1st distribution company certified as a handler of organic products:
      http://www.unfiwest.com

      [Becoming a certified "green restaurant:
      http://www.dinegreen.com

      Sep 23 - Sept 30: "We the People" Fall 2003 Spitfire Tour:
      [with Tracy Chapman and Julie Butterfly Hill:
      http://www.spitfiretour.org/

      Sep 23: Ypsilanti, MI < 7:00 PM, Eastern Michigan Univ., Pease Auditorium. Free
      Sep 24: Dekalb, IL < Northern Illinois University. Venue TBA
      Sep 25: St. Paul, MN < 7:30 PM, Univ. of St. Thomas, OEC Auditorium. Free

      Oct 01: Winnepeg, Canada
      Oct 03: Calgary, Canada
      Oct 04: Red Deer, Canada
      Oct 05: Edmonton, Canada
      Oct 06: Kelowna, Canada
      Oct 07: Abbottsford, Canada
      Oct 08: Victoria, Canada
      Oct 09: Vancover, Canada
      Oct 11: Chicago EarthSave
      Oct 17 - 19: San Rafael CA < Bioneers Conference

      Nov 09: Orange Co., NY
      Nov 22 - Dec 23: USA < Vegetarian Vision

      Feb 15 - 21: CHIP Cruise

      Apr 07 - 14: Maui, Hawaii

      [More details and contact info at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *10: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      Both Mooshoes and VeganCats will donate 5% of sales accessed through the
      MadCowboy Home Page to the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary.
      Check 'em out! Mooshoes sells much more than shoes, and VeganCats sells
      cruelty-free products for cats AND dogs!

      *11: Closing Thought(s)
      "THERE WAS NEED for the establishment of the health food work and hygienic
      restaurants, and these have accomplished good. But they are not to become
      simply commercial enterprises. They are to be an object-lesson."

      ---- Ellen G. White (The Health Food Ministry, pg. 88)

      "YOU COULD DO BETTER TOMORROW than what you've done today. We need to lead
      by example. We need to show that it can be done. When people come to our
      house they need to know that we are recycling, that we are buying
      correctly. We care about the future, we are going to do the best we can."

      ---- Howard Lyman (from the 3ABN "Earth Talk" segment on "Recycling")

      "CONTINUOUS EFFORT, not strength or intelligence, is the key to unlocking
      our potential."

      ---- Winston Churchill (attributed)