07_17_03: Veg Approved, Irradiated Truth, & Sticky Fingers

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17 1:35 PM
      Howdy! Welcome to the 24th edition of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter!

      This time we've a bit more emphasis on nutrition, food, and diet, than in
      recent editions.

      Today you'll learn about a vegetarian's father who created a business
      around foods his daughter couldn't get (Karla's Kitchen in "Quick Bytes"),
      the Vegan Bakery in Washington DC (Sticky Fingers), see some pictures from
      Howard's camera during recent trips to the West Coast, learn about Sea
      Vegetables, marvel at the World Carrot Museum, and realize the dangers of
      "biopharming."

      You'll also be motivated to "lighten-up" when you read about the
      relationship between hostility, the blues, animal fat consumption, and
      cancer, be tempted to purchase a "meowlingual" to understand your cat, have
      access to a superb report on "irradiated meat," think more about barley
      recipes, know "seven steps to break the food seduction," and be challenged
      by this issue's "Vegan Mind-Bender."

      There's also several new links for various informational sources on the
      web, and a new webpage on the Mad Cowboy website that has a list of Twenty
      Vegan Cookbooks for your review.

      ...and as always, a special nod of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all
      can read past issues of the Newsletter at:

      Best wishes as we approach mid-Summer (and may your plants be thriving)!

      Regards, Mark Editor/Webmaster

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quote(s) of Note
      01: New Pix from Howard's Digital Camera
      03: Veg Approved, Organic Wins, Versatile Barley, Sea Veggies
      04: Ancient Gingko, Space Soy, Biopharming, Sheep Burps
      05: Humor: Come & Get It!, World Carrot Museum, Mr. Rogers
      06: Hostility/Heart Disease, The Blues/Fatty Foods & Cancer
      07: Meowlingual, Antibiotic Phase-Out, & Irradiated Truth
      08: Links: Quick Bytes
      09: AR2003 West Coast Conference
      10: Howard's Schedule
      11: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      12: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Quote(s) of Note
      "In 1990, I was well over 300 pounds. My blood pressure was sky high. My
      cholesterol was over 300. I'd sit down and have lunch and my nose would
      bleed. I'm not a Rhodes scholar but I knew I was in trouble. I knew I had
      to change my diet but I'd rather be caught riding a stolen horse than
      admitting to someone that I was a vegetarian.

      In 1990 I became the world's worst vegetarian. No meat. My diet was
      lettuce and dairy products. For a year that was my diet. I lost some
      weight. My blood pressure came down slightly. My cholesterol came down
      slightly. I thought, "damn if I could do that being the world's worst
      vegetarian just think what I could do if I became vegan." And since
      becoming vegan I've lost 130 pounds. My blood pressure is normal. My
      cholesterol has dropped from 300 to 135. I saved my life by changing my
      diet.

      <snip> "...I was convinced that the fork was the most dangerous weapon in
      mankind's arsenal."

      (An Interview with Howard Lyman:
      http://www.veganstreet.com/community/lyman.html)

      "HOW CAN YOU HAVE COLD CEREAL, YOU WONDER, ON A VEGAN DIET? Simple.
      Instead of cow's milk, explore a whole new world of nutritious, low-fat
      milks that contain not a trace of bovine growth hormone: rice milk, almond
      milk, oat milk, and soy milk. They come in all kinds of varieties with all
      kinds of flavorings, and they are delicious. Be adventurous. Let your
      taste buds adapt to new tastes and textures."

      - Howard Lyman ("Mad Cowboy," pg. 171, with Glen Merzer)

      *01: New Pix from Howard's Digital Camera
      [Howard's travels in California during June 2003:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/07_09_03_HL_Pix/index.html

      THE QUESTION WAS: "We eat enough X in a year to make more than 10 billion
      sandwiches, spending almost $800 million US a year on [this product]. What
      is "X?" HINT: it's not bread, and it's one of Howard's favorite food
      products.

      Russell Nix from Atlanta, Georgia, correctly answered "peanut butter." He
      won the random pick from the four correct entries. Congratulations!

      [For statistics:
      http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=253e186d-7c88-4f01-bc43-3e1e709ab962
      http://www.nationalpeanutboard.com/

      THIS WEEK'S MIND-BENDER!!!

      "They constitute between 90 and 95% of all animal life on earth (either in
      biomass or quantity).

      What are they?" HINT for those 30 to 40ish: "Poor Mr. Loopner's birth
      defect."

      [E-MAIL YOUR ANSWERS (one guess per person, please!) by 07/27/03 to:
      webmaster@... and please use the word "Contest" in your Subject
      Line]

      [Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, has offered a FREE one-year subscription to
      a winner chosen at random those submitting the correct answer to each MC
      Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you can learn more about
      VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *03: Veg Approved, Organic Wins, Versatile Barley, Sea Veggies
      GOING VEGETARIAN CAN BE HEALTHIER - THAT'S OFFICIAL: 06.03.03: "Think that
      vegetarian diets are risky or just a passing phase? Not so! According to
      the American Dietetic Association (ADA) and Dietitians of Canada (DC), a
      well-planned vegetarian diet can be a healthy alternative to standard
      meat-based eating styles for all age groups.

      "Vegetarians have been reported to have healthier body weight than
      non-vegetarians, as well as lower rates of death from heart disease, lower
      blood cholesterol levels and lower rates of high blood pressure, type 2
      diabetes and prostate and colon cancer," says Cynthia Sass, a registered
      dietitian and ADA spokesperson .

      "Planning a healthy vegetarian diet doesn't need to be complicated, but
      steps should be taken to ensure the diet is nutrient-dense," Sass says.
      "Just as with a meat-based diet, the key to ensuring the body meets all its
      nutritional needs is to choose a wide variety of foods."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.sabcnews.com/sci_tech/science/0,1009,59810,00.html

      GERMAN BREAKTHROUGH FOR ORGANIC PRODUCERS: 06.20.03: "Danish organic food
      producers have scored an important agreement on the vital German market.
      Ten Danish-based organic food producers have reached an agreement with
      German wholesaler Grell.

      Speciality shops account for 38 percent of all organic produce sales in
      Germany, and the German market represents one-fourth of the overall organic
      market in Europe. For that reason, the agreement is a significant
      development for Danish companies working together under the name Bio aus
      Dänemark. In Germany, over 100 local organic brands have been supplied
      with a trademark which complies with EU requirements, and which the Danish
      organic brands have easily met. The greatest barrier for Danish exports on
      the German market is that organic food sales are traditionally concentrated
      in small health food shops, rather than the major supermarket chains.

      [Edited from:
      http://cphpost.sites.itera.dk/default.asp?id=32152

      BARLEY LAYS CLAIM TO HEALTH GAINS: 05.03: "Barley is a very versatile
      grain. It can be used in soups, stews, cereal, or baked goods. It can be
      used as a side dish or in a salad. It's also very healthful, because it's
      low in fat and cholesterol free. So why aren't Americans eating more barley?

      ARS chemist Kay Behall contends that some Americans, especially those who
      are diabetic and overweight, would be better off doing just that.
      Significant reductions in blood pressure have previously been reported in
      other high-fiber grain diet studies. Diets rich in soluble fiber also show
      potential benefits in reducing elevated glucose or insulin in people with
      impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance. It is known that the
      soluble fiber found in oats can reduce cholesterol.

      "Oats are widely recognized as promoting beneficial reductions in the rise
      of glucose and insulin levels after a meal," Behall says. "Barley also has
      high amounts of soluble fiber, so one should expect similar advantages.
      Soluble fiber in barley could also help reduce cardiovascular and diabetes
      risk factors. Most barley is used in animal feed or for the production of
      barley malt for making beer. However, it could add a real boost to the
      diets of the millions of overweight people in the United States."

      [Edited from Agricultural Research Magazine:
      http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/may03/grain0503.htm

      SEA VEGETABLES: DON'T CALL 'EM WEEDS: 06.30.03: (Amy Topel): "Plants are
      considered weeds when they are growing in an area where they are not
      desirable. There is a group of plants that we commonly call seaweeds but
      this term doesn't make sense and it denies the value of these plants in our
      diets. Like land vegetables, sea vegetables are nutritious additions to our
      diet. They provide many minerals (most notably iron), a good supply of
      protein and fiber as well as Vitamins A, B6 and C.

      Sea vegetables are most often associated with Japanese cuisine, but are
      also common ingredients in both Korean and Chinese cookery. Sea vegetables
      are not confined to these cuisines however. They are harvested off the
      coasts of almost every continent, and are traditional foods in Wales,
      Scotland and Ireland, Western Europe, Iceland, Alaska and Chile among
      others."

      [Full unedited article with descriptions, nutrition information, cooking
      tips, and recipes:
      http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc.mhtml?i=97&s=seaweed

      *04: Ancient Gingko, Space Soy, Biopharming, Sheep Burps
      GINKGO IS LIVING FOSSIL: 06.19.03: (Christopher Surridge): "Herbal
      medicine's favorite tree, the Gingko, is a living fossil. Newly found
      specimens that grew more than a hundred million years ago are remarkably
      similar to present-day plants. Extracts of the Gingko or maidenhair tree,
      a distant relative of the conifer, are believed to improve concentration
      and stave off dementia. Some specimens in Chinese monastery gardens are
      over three thousand years old. Others, such as those in Utrecht and Kew
      Gardens, are approaching three hundred. Wild specimens are extinct.

      There is now little doubt that today's Gingko is a direct descendent of
      forebears that provided food for the dinosaurs.

      [Edited from:
      http://www.nature.com/nsu/030616/030616-9.html

      FIRST SPACE-GROWN SOY RESEMBLES EARTHGROWN CROP: 06.13.03: (Sue
      Schwendener, Reuters): "Soybeans grown in space are similar to those
      produced on Earth, offering the possibility that space-age vegetation could
      support a long-term human presence in space, scientists said this week.

      "When we started, we were unsure if the seeds would even remain planted in
      space without any gravity, let alone grow," said DuPont Co. researcher Tom
      Corbin. "As it turned out, the project was the first ever to complete a
      major crop growth cycle in space, from planting seeds to growing new seeds.
      It was also the first major crop grown on the International Space Station."

      However, the space-grown seeds were higher in sugar content, but lower in
      oil and amino acid content, presumably because of the higher level of
      carbon dioxide on the International Space Center, Corbin said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-06-13/s_4971.asp

      IS BIOPHARMING WORTH THE RISK?: 06.01.03: (Danila Oder): "The latest trend
      in genetic engineering is to grow modified crops that are not intended for
      food. 'Pharma' crops are GE plants that produce proteins or chemicals for
      pharmaceutical and industrial uses. Since 1991, more than 300 open-air
      field trials of pharma crops have been conducted in the US, although few
      details have ever been released to the public. Today, detailed public
      information is available on only 10% of the 400 products currently being
      developed by about 20 companies and universities. These products include
      vaccines, anti-HIV drugs, anti-clotting agents and industrial enzymes. Even
      the American government is involved - the US National Institutes of Health
      are now safety testing a corn-grown oral treatment for traveler's diarrhea.

      Many critics wonder why food crops are used for biopharming at all, rather
      than using non-food crops like hemp, tobacco or a prolific weed like ivy.
      ...US government policies keep the prices of bulk crops low, so many
      American farmers are desperate for any crop, like pharma plants, that
      offers a higher profit margin.

      Plants are living beings, and their DNA can impact on the surrounding
      environment in unpredictable ways. Canola, or rape seed, is another
      open-pollinated GE plant, widely grown in Canada. Recently, the Certified
      Organic Associations of British Columbia stated that the canola gene pool
      is now so contaminated that growing organic canola has become almost
      impossible. On December 29, 2002 the British lndependent newspaper reported
      that a new British government study had found that GE rape seed was
      interbreeding on a large scale with conventional crops, as well as breeding
      and transferring its herbicide-resistant traits to wild turnip, a related
      weed.

      People outside the US often wonder why American activists aren't ripping up
      these fields and why the US public appears relatively complacent about GE
      experiments and production. One reason is that, unlike in Britain, the
      European Union and Australia, which publish the precise locations of field
      trials, US trial locations are virtually treated as state secrets. Without
      open public information, farmers can't determine if GE crops are being
      grown next door."

      [Very edited from the comprehensive article at:
      http://www.inquisitoronline.com/news/0306gm.html

      NEW ZEALAND TRIES TO CAP GASEOUS SHEEP BURPS: 05.13.03: (John Roach,
      National Geographic): "New Zealand scientists trying to curb their
      country's influence on global warming may have found an answer to belch
      about: Livestock that eat plants high in condensed tannins produce up to 16
      percent less methane, a potent greenhouse gas.

      New Zealand's 45 million sheep outnumber the country's human population by
      more than 11 to one. Methane is one of the three most potent gases that
      some scientists say are causing the Earth to warm up at an accelerated and
      unnatural rate. Carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels is the most
      common greenhouse gas in the world.

      "New Zealand is unique in that over 50 percent of its greenhouse gas
      emissions arise from methane released by enteric fermentation," said
      Katharine Hayhoe, an atmospheric scientist at the University of Illinois,
      Urbana-Champaign, Illinois. Enteric fermentation is methane produced as
      part of the normal digestive process of animals, such as cows and sheep. It
      is primarily released in the form of burps.

      For comparison, livestock are responsible for about 2 percent of the United
      States' greenhouse gas emissions, according to the U.S. Environmental
      Protection Agency.

      [Very edited from:
      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/05/0509_020509_belch.html

      *05: Humor: Come & Get It!, World Carrot Museum, Mr. Rogers
      [Regarding Corporate "self-regulation:"
      http://www.markfiore.com/animation/meat.html

      [The World Carrot Museum:
      http://website.lineone.net/~stolarczyk/

      [Quotes from the Official Will Rogers Website:
      http://www.cmgww.com/historic/rogers/quote.html

      *06: Hostility/Heart Disease, The Blues/Fatty Foods & Cancer
      YOUTHFUL HOSTILITY LINKED TO ADULT HEART DISEASE: 05.26.03: (Alan Mozes,
      Reuters Health): "Children and adolescents who approach the ups and downs
      of life with a hostile attitude might be at a heightened risk of developing
      health complications that can progress to adult heart disease, according to
      U.S. and Finnish researchers.

      "There is a need for interventions designed to reduce hostility in young
      people to prevent the precursors to cardiovascular disease, like obesity or
      type II diabetes, which has become a huge health problem in children in the
      U.S.," the study's lead author, Dr. Karen A. Matthews of the University of
      Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania, said in a statement. Parents, Matthews told
      Reuters Health, should try to address any conflicts their children might be
      having in order to ease hostile feelings.

      Among the children and teens her team studied, the researchers found that
      anger, cynicism and aggression were associated with several cardiovascular
      risk factors, including obesity, high blood pressure and a condition called
      insulin resistance that can be a precursor to type 2 diabetes.

      [Edited from:
      http://yalenewhavenhealth.org/HealthNews/Reuters/NewsStory0526200318.htm

      [Original study abstract: Health Psychology 2003;22:279- 286.
      http://www.apa.org/journals/hea/503ab.html#6

      BANISHING THE BLUES COULD CUT THE CHANCES OF CANCER: 06.23.03: (Raj
      Persaud): "Research aired at the recent annual meeting of the American
      Psychiatric Association in San Francisco adds intriguing new data to the
      controversy over whether stress in itself can cause cancer.

      Psychiatrists led by Dr Arnstein Mykletun from the University of Bergen in
      Norway followed up 62,591 participants in Norway's largest medical survey
      of a general population, and found a statistically significant relationship
      between high scores on an anxiety scale completed in 1995 and the later
      development of premalignant states of disease. Another recent large study
      published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute from the National
      Institute of Ageing in the US has found that chronic depression can cause
      cancer. In particular, the researchers found that being despondent for a
      long time (in their study the low mood had been present for at least six
      years) almost doubled your risk of getting cancer.'

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/index.cfm?id=686342003

      FATTY FOODS TIED TO BREAST CANCER IN YOUNGER WOMEN: 07.15.03: (Anthony J.
      Brown, MD, Reuters Health): "Younger women who regularly eat foods
      containing certain types of fat may be increasing their chances of
      developing breast cancer, new research suggests. This is the first study
      to link fatty foods with breast cancer in women who have not yet reached
      menopause, lead author Dr. Eunyoung Cho, from Harvard Medical School in
      Boston, told Reuters Health. Previous studies, which have focused mainly on
      postmenopausal women, have not tied fatty foods to cancer.

      The current findings are based on a study of more than 90,000 premenopausal
      women who were followed for 8 years. The total amount of fat consumed was
      not linked to breast cancer, but eating certain types of fat was, Cho said.
      Eating animal fat, which is usually found in red meat and high-fat dairy
      foods, increased the risk of cancer, while eating vegetable fats did not.
      Women who ate high amounts of animal fat were up to 54% more likely to
      develop breast cancer than women who ate the lowest amounts, the findings
      indicate.

      [Edited from:
      http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=3095278

      [Study abstract: Journal of the National Cancer Institute July 2003
      http://jncicancerspectrum.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/jnci;95/14/1079

      *07: Meowlingual, Antibiotic Phase-Out, Irradiated Truth
      WHAT YOUR CAT IS TRYING TO TELL YOU: 07.16.03: " Tokyo (Reuters): Takara
      Co, a major Japanese toy maker, said on Wednesday it would launch a device
      called the "Meowlingual" that can interpret a cat's meow, hoping to repeat
      its success with the "Bowlingual," a dog translation device. Takara said
      the Meowlingual, a palm-sized electronic console that displays the
      interpreted phrase on a screen, will be priced at 8,800 yen ($74.62) and it
      would aim to sell 300,000 units by the end of March 2004.

      Takara has sold about 300,000 dog translation devices in Japan since last
      year and plans to launch an English-language product in the U.S. market in
      August for about $120.

      [From:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=3&u=/nm/20030716/
      od_nm/tech_takara_cats_dc

      MCDONALD'S PHASES OUT ANIMAL ANTIBIOTICS: 06.27.03: "Last week, the fast
      food chain issued a Global Policy on Antibiotics Use in Food Animals ,
      which includes a set of "Guiding Principles for Sustainable Use." Besides
      eliminating human medicine antibiotics as growth promoters in food animals,
      the policy also sets standards for sustainable antibiotic use by direct
      suppliers. Enforcement mechanisms include supplier certification,
      assurance, and auditing. Compliance with the standards cannot be applied to
      indirect suppliers, but it will factor into purchase decisions.

      The policy, which resulted from deliberations between McDonald's and a
      multi-stakeholder Antibiotics Coalition, will affect some 2.5 billion
      pounds of chicken, beef and pork purchased annually by the fast food giant."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.socialfunds.com/news/article.cgi/article1158.html

      [McDonald's Global Policy on Antibiotic Use in Food Animals:
      http://www.mcdonalds.com/corporate/social/marketplace/antibiotics/global/index.h
      tml

      THE TRUTH ABOUT IRRADIATED MEAT: Consumer Reports, Aug. 2003:
      "Irradiation "eliminates any bacteria that might exist in food," according
      to a Food Emporium supermarket flyer. "You can't taste the difference,"
      claims a pamphlet from SureBeam, a leading food irradiator. "Enjoy with
      confidence!" says a poster advertising irradiated double cheeseburgers at a
      Minneapolis Dairy Queen. Full-page newspaper ads from Wegmans supermarkets
      tell customers that they can cook a juicy irradiated burger "the way they
      like it" and "without worrying about safety."

      Consumer Reports put claims like those to the test. Our research, taste
      tests, and microbial analysis of irradiated and nonirradiated chicken and
      ground beef--the largest analysis of its kind on meat sold at
      retail--counter many of the assertions:

      * Bacteria levels in the irradiated, uncooked ground beef and skinless
      chicken tenders were generally much lower than levels in the nonirradiated
      meat. But the irradiated meat still contained some bacteria.

      * Our trained taste testers noted a slight but distinct off-taste and smell
      in most of the irradiated beef and chicken we cooked and sampled, likening
      it to singed hair.

      * Irradiated food is safe to eat, according to federal and world health
      officials. It certainly does not become radioactive. But a recent study on
      the chemical byproducts that irradiation creates in meat has led some
      researchers and the European Parliament to call for further studies."

      [Very edited from the impressive and comprehensive article at:
      http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=322725&FOLD
      ER%3C%3Efolder_id=162689&bmUID=1057841976954

      [For the Consumer's Union perspective:
      http://www.consumersunion.org

      *08: Links: Quick Bytes
      [NEW! 20 VEGAN COOKBOOKS REFERENCED ON MADCOWBOY:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_VCookbooks.html

      [GREAT VEGAN RECIPES SEARCHABLE DIRECTORY:
      http://www.vegweb.com/recipes.html

      [RESOURCE-FULL WEBSITE FOR "VEGETARIAN FAMILIES:"
      http://www.vegfamily.com/

      ["SEVEN STEPS TO BREAKING THE FOOD SEDUCTION:"
      http://www.pcrm.org/news/health030529_tips.html

      [FRIENDS OF HOWARD'S WEBSITE:
      http://www.all-creatures.org/

      [PROTECTING CHILDREN FROM COMMERCIALISM:
      http://www.commercialalert.org/

      [FISHING: WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT?
      http://www.fishinghurts.com/

      [Howard and the owner of the vegan "Sticky Fingers" bakery in WashDC:
      http://www.animalrights2003.org/AR2003_0627.0628.mssPIX/pictures/pdrm0169.html

      [STICKY FINGERS VEGAN BAKERY:
      http://www.stickyfingersbakery.com/

      [Howard and the Founder of the Kinship Circle:
      http://www.animalrights2003.org/AR2003_0627.0628.mssPIX/pictures/pdrm0170.html

      [KINSHIP CIRCLE (Send a Letter; Save An Animal):
      http://www.kinshipcircle.org/

      [Howard approves of the vegan beef/chicken salad/BBQ:
      http://www.animalrights2003.org/AR2003_0629.0630.mssPIX/pictures/pdrm0364.html

      [KARLA'S KITCHEN:
      http://www.karlas-kitchen.com/BURBS.HTM

      [Howard checking out the herbed olive oil on whole grain bread:
      http://www.animalrights2003.org/AR2003_0629.0630.mssPIX/pictures/pdrm0367.html

      [VIGOA CUISINE:
      http://www.vigoacuisine.com/

      [ADOPT-SPOT: OAKLAND ANIMAL SHELTER:
      http://www.adoptspot.com/shelters/oakland_as.html

      *09: AR2003 West Coast Conference
      AR 2003 WEST: the Program Schedule for the Animal Rights 2003 West
      conference has just been posted at: http://www.animalrights2003.org The
      first west coast animal rights conference since 1985 will take place on
      August 1-6 at the Westin - LAX Hotel in Los Angeles. Approximately 500
      participants are expected, including 100 speakers representing more than 50
      animal organizations.

      Key speakers scheduled thus far include Carol Adams, Alan Berger, Steve
      Best, Linda Blair, Theo Capaldo, Lawrence Carter-Long, Robert Cohen, Joe
      Connelly, Rod Coronado, Karen Davis, Karen Dawn, Joyce D'Silva, Michael
      Greger, Alex Hershaft, Steve Hindi, Kevin Jonas, Elliot Katz, Howard Lyman,
      Bill Maher, Jim Mason, Jack Norris, Sherry Schlueter, Paul Shapiro, Lauren
      Ornelas Sullivan, Peter Singer, Joyce Tischler, and Paul Watson.

      Presidential Candidate Rep. Dennis Kucinich will be speaking on Monday at
      1230pm.

      The program will include plenary sessions, workshops, 'rap' sessions,
      campaign reports, videos, and exhibits, as well as Newcomer Orientation,
      planning meetings, group workouts, Employment Clearinghouse, networking
      receptions, and Awards Banquet. Several post-conference activities are
      scheduled for August 6.

      Be there for the animals, and bring your friends! Alex Hershaft, Director,
      FARM

      Aug 01 - Aug 05: Los Angeles, CA < AR2003
      Aug 06 - Aug 11: Johnstown, PA < NAVS Summerfest 2003

      Sep 22 - Sep 30: "We the People" Fall 2003 Tour (Spitfire)

      Oct 01: Winnepeg, Canada
      Oct 02: Moosejaw, Canada
      Oct 03: Calgary, Canada
      Oct 04: Red Deer, Canada
      Oct 05: Edmonton, Canada
      Oct 06: Kelowna, Canada
      Oct 07: Abbottsford, Canada
      Oct 08: Victoria, Canada
      Oct 09: Vancover, Canada
      Oct 11: Chicago EarthSave
      Oct 17 - 19: San Rafael CA < Bioneers Conference

      Nov 09: Orange Co., NY
      Nov 22 - Dec 23: USA < Vegetarian Vision

      Feb 15 - 21: CHIP Cruise

      Apr 07 - 14: Maui, Hawaii

      [More details and contact info at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *11: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      Both Mooshoes and VeganCats will donate 5% of sales accessed through the
      MadCowboy Home Page to the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary.
      Check 'em out! Mooshoes sells much more than shoes, and VeganCats sells
      cruelty-free products for cats AND dogs!

      *12: Closing Thought(s)
      "THOSE WHO EAT FLESH are but eating grains and vegetables second hand, for
      the animal receives from these things the nutrition that produces growth.
      The life that was in the grains and vegetables passes into the eater. We
      receive it by eating the flesh of the animal. How much better to get it
      direct, by eating the food that God provided for our use."

      - Ellen G. White ("Counsels on Diet and Foods," 313)

      "ARE WE LIVING UP TO OUR RESPONSIBILITY? Are we getting involved? Are we
      paying attention to who produces our food, what they are using on it, what
      it's doing to us, the animals, and the environment? I think too many of us
      have given up the responsibility, and we have passed it over to some
      government agency with the idea that they are looking after us, and they
      will do what is right.

      Let's go back to the manual. Let's look at what the Lord says. Let's look
      at the fact that we have responsibility for the future. It is up to us to
      do those things that are right. And we need to do it very soon before it
      is too late."

      - Howard Lyman (from 3ABN "Earth Talk" Segment, "Meat and the USDA")