06_19_03: Willow Interview, Lab Secrets, Mr. Stinky, & Bottled Threats

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2003
      Howdy! Welcome to the 23th edition of the Mad Cowboy e-Newsletter!

      In this issue you'll get to read an interview with Willow Jeane Lyman,
      learn who won the first of our Vegan Mind-Bender Contests, see some new
      pictures of the filming of the Mad Cowboy Documentary, and know what
      Consumer Reports recommends the U.S. Gov't does to protect us from Mad Cow
      Disease.

      You'll also hear about a 13-year old genius vegetarian activist, the
      unprecedented release of 1200+ pages of secret illegal activities at the
      largest animal research center in England, know why Cosmonauts will be
      listening to frogs on the Space Station, admire "Mr. Stinky," and get
      access to activist kits to keep irradiated food out of our schools and
      universities.

      Finally, you'll realize the surprising environmental threat posed by
      bottled water (and what you can do about this), the seedy practices of
      Monsanto and the implications for farmers/agriculture, as well as have
      access to links to several websites for info on Animal Law, veg'n
      recipes/products, raising veg'n children, how human babies and birds learn
      the same way, and the green side of insect repellants.

      As always, a special nod of the hat to our new subscribers! Y'all can read
      past issues of the Newsletter at:

      Best wishes to everyone as we approach the Summer Solstice!

      Regards, Mark Editor/Webmaster

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Quotes from Howard
      01: Interview with Willow Jeane Lyman
      03: More Pix from the Filming of the Documentary
      04: Articles: Mad Cow Disease - Late Spring 2003
      05: Articles: Irradiated Lunch, More Nuts, & Salad Scrutiny
      06: Humor: Elephant Protectors, Mr. Stinky, & Frog Music
      07: Articles: US/Global C02, Bottled Threats, Seedy Issues
      08: Articles: Lab Secrets, Animals & Law, Babies & Birds
      09: Articles: Greens/NY, Farm Animal Confinement Poll/Ban
      10: Links/Info: Quick Bytes
      11: AR2003 West/East Coast Conferences
      12: Howard's Schedule
      13: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      14: Closing Thoughts from Will Rogers

      *00: Quotes from Howard
      "All of my years in the activist movement have been made better by the
      folks I have worked with. I could write a book about the shoulders I have
      had the opportunity to stand on and from those who supported our efforts.
      At this time of the year I want to stop and say thanks to all my friends.
      Every victory we have had came from a team effort. You are my heroes, each
      and everyone of you.

      There is no doubt in my mind we are changing human perception on our diet,
      environment, and the way we treat animals. My concern is can we do it
      before it's to late for our children and grandchildren. My commitment
      remains unshaken, I will do all I can, as long as I have the ability, to
      change the future for the better.

      Please join me in saving the future, ONE BITE AT A TIME."

      - Howard, 12/13/02

      [Edited from "A Holiday Message from the Mad Cowboy":
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_HolidayMsg2002.html

      *01: Interview with Willow Jeane Lyman
      [This interview was conducted by Joseph Connelly in April 2003 and first
      appeared in VegNews, May/June 2003. Reprinted with permission]

      "VN: I would guess that you were not vegan when you first met. Speak a bit
      about how and why you transitioned to this lifestyle. Whose idea was it?
      Who or what were some of your greatest influences for kicking the meat
      habit?

      WJL: Howard and I have also been fortunate as a couple to have grown
      together. Sometimes one of us is ahead of the other but we manage to come
      out at the end together. I have been careful with my diet since I was a
      teenager, for health and weight control reasons. I stopped eating red meat
      long before I became vegetarian. I realized I could not control my weight
      while consuming it and I found it hard to digest. At that time I still
      believed it was a good source of nutrition. My education on this issue
      started when we became involved in the Beyond Beef Campaign. I read Jeremy
      Rifkin's book and the light came on.

      I began reading everything I could find on the issue. This is another
      instance where Howard and I ventured down the same path, sometimes one
      ahead of the other. I think I started the change, Howard joined in and
      forged ahead, then I finally caught up by giving up dairy."

      [You can read the full interview online at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/02_WJL_VN_Interview.html

      THE QUESTION WAS: "What's produced in the U.S., with near 50% of the total
      harvest from Arkansas, and the other 50% from California, Louisiana,
      Missippi, Missouri, and Texas combined? 90% of the total production is
      consumed in the U.S., the rest is exported." HINT: only Thailand and
      India export more than the U.S. of this product.

      DAWN RESSEL from Chicago, Illinois, correctly answered "rice." She won the
      random pick from the four correct entries. Congratulations Dawn!

      [For statistics:
      http://www.ricecafe.com/stats.htm
      http://www.usda.gov/news/releases/2003/05/0157.htm

      THIS WEEK'S MIND-BENDER: "We eat enough X in a year to make more than 10
      billion sandwiches, spending almost $800 million US a year on [this
      product].

      What is "X?" HINT: it's not bread, and it's one of Howard's favorite food
      products.

      [E-MAIL YOUR ANSWERS by 07/01/03 to:
      webmaster@... and please use the word "Contest" in your Subject
      Line]
      [Joe Connelly, Editor, VegNews, has offered a FREE one-year subscription to
      a winner chosen at random those submitting the correct answer to each MC
      Newsletter's Contest. Our thanks to Joe, and you can learn more about
      VegNews at:

      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1.415.665.6397]

      *03: More Pix from the Filming of the Documentary
      [Pat Fitzgerald was one of the film crew for "Mad Cowboy: The Feature
      Documentary," set for release later this year. The following is the 4th of
      4 sets shot by Pat during filming in the U.S.:

      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCDOC_USA_PF_v04/index.html

      [Previous U.S. Pix from Pat:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCDOC_USA_PF_vO3/index.html
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCDOC_USA_PK_v02/index.html
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCDOC_USA_PF_v01/index.html

      *04: Articles: Mad Cow Disease - Late Spring 2003
      WHERE'S THE BEEF? SEIZED BY SANDWICH POLICE! (Joe Prociuk, The Edmonton
      Journal: 06/14/03 - " Stupidity has reached an all-time high in regard to
      mad cow disease. I am speaking of how the U.S. border patrol officers are
      searching vehicles for roast beef sandwiches. If found in a vehicle, the
      person is asked to strip their sandwich of the aforementioned product,
      leaving them with only the bread."

      [Rant from:
      http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=86a6dac2-dbe1-462c-8c07-0ee3c580998c

      ONTARIO INSPECTORS LACK SUFFICIENT MAD COW TRAINING: (Colin Perkel,
      06/08/03): Toronto (CP) - "Many of Ontario's front-line meat inspectors
      have had no specific training on mad cow disease despite claims to the
      contrary from the government. Dr. Tom Baker, the head of the ministry's
      food-inspection branch, confirmed in an interview that at least one-third
      of inspectors lacked specific BSE training. On the ministry's Web site,
      the government boasts about the training record for its meat inspectors.
      "All of Ontario's meat and veterinary inspectors receive ongoing,
      comprehensive training in all aspects of meat inspection, including
      recognition of BSE signs and collection of samples for BSE testing."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2003/06/08/106766-cp.html

      COW CARCASSES PILE UP IN CANADA MAD COW SCARE: (Roberta Rampton, Reuters):
      06/2003: Winnipeg, Manitoba - "Farmers in parts of Canada are shipping dead
      cattle to landfill sites, but some may be tempted to simply dump them in
      the backwoods, after rendering companies stopped taking carcasses because
      of a single case of mad cow disease. "I don't think any of us want to see
      dead animals lying around," said Lyle Vanclief, federal agriculture
      minister. Rendering companies normally collect the dead animals and turn
      them into protein supplements for pig and poultry feed as well as
      industrial products."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-06-03/s_4706.asp

      [For edited (and disturbing) discussion of rendering, check out MC
      Newsletter 20:

      CORRALING MAD-COW DISEASE: (Consumer Reports, June 06, 03): "Is the
      American government doing enough to prevent this deadly disease from
      developing here?"

      - The USDA needs to screen far more cattle for the disease. Last year, the
      department tested only about 1 of every 5,000 cattle. It should require
      rapid tests, which have allowed screening of nearly 1 of every 4 cattle in
      Europe.

      - The FDA should outlaw the widespread practice, already banned in Britain,
      of feeding the remains of any mammal to any animals that humans eat.

      - Congress should tighten the current law on dietary supplements. That law
      currently allows supplements to contain materials from the brains, eyes,
      and spleen, which are mostly likely to contain the mutant protein. Congress
      should require manufacturers to prove their safety prior to being marketed."

      [Very edited from the nicely summarized article at:
      http://www.consumerreports.org/static/0306mad0.html

      *05: Articles: Irradiated Lunch, More Nuts, & Salad Scrutiny
      BAN ON IRRADIATED GROUND BEEF LIFTED IN SCHOOL LUNCH PROGRAM: (Michael A.
      Fletcher, WashPost, Pg. A11 ): 05/30/03 - "The Department of Agriculture
      yesterday lifted its prohibition on irradiated ground beef in the national
      school lunch program, giving local school districts the option of ordering
      meat decontaminated with gamma rays, X-rays or electrons as early as next
      January. USDA officials said they would provide information packages about
      the safety of irradiated beef to help guide local districts in their
      decisions.

      Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) released a letter he wrote to Agriculture
      Secretary Ann M. Veneman, warning that many parents have concerns about the
      "possible health effects" of eating irradiated meat. He also urged USDA to
      disclose the full range of opinions about the process to local school
      districts. "The scientific debate over the safety of meat irradiation is
      far from conclusive," Leahy wrote, citing European and other studies
      linking the process to elevated cancer rates."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55624-2003May29.html

      [Senator Leahy's Letter to the USDA:
      http://leahy.senate.gov/issues/Agriculture/foodirradiationletter.pdf

      [For more info and school/university activism kits:
      http://www.citizen.org/cmep/foodsafety/

      THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU NIX NUTS FROM YOUR DIET: (Mayo Clinic, 05/29/03) -
      Rochestor, Minn. - "It's true that nuts are generally high in calories and
      fat, but eaten in moderation as part of a healthy diet, ... offer potential
      health benefits, according to the June issue of Mayo Clinic Health Letter.

      Nuts have a lot of nutrients in relation to calories. Some nuts are good
      sources of thiamin, niacin, phosphorus and folate. Others are excellent
      sources of selenium, copper, magnesium and manganese. They are also rich in
      flavonoids. These antioxidants help reduce by-products in the body that may
      contribute to cancer and cardiovascular disease. For their size, nuts are
      one of the best plant sources of protein... most of the fats are
      monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, the fats that don't appear to increase
      blood cholesterol."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.newswise.com/articles/2003/5/NUTS.MMC.html?sc=wire

      SALAD SCRUTINY: (Kathleen Purvis, The Charlotte (N.C.) Observer): 06/04/03
      -"The poor fast-food chains. Battered by legal challenges and headlines
      taking them to task for supersizing our national waistline, they're trying
      to offer us healthier options. Salads are sprouting on menus from
      McDonald's to Burger King, Wendy's to Jack-in-the-Box. [However] The
      Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a nonprofit group that
      supports vegan diets, released a report last month slamming many of the
      salads for excessively high fat and calorie counts."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.modbee.com/life/healthyliving/story/6899842p-7836023c.html

      [PCRM's Press Release and report:
      http://www.pcrm.org/news/health030508.html

      *06: Humor: Elephant Protectors, Mr. Stinky, & Frog Music
      ELEPHANTS PROTECTING FORESTS IN INDONESIA: (AP, 06/05/03) - " Indonesian
      forest rangers have trained elephants to charge at loggers cutting down
      wood illegally. The 28 elephants attack when they hear the sound of the
      loggers' chainsaws. Illegal deforestation has declined in areas where the
      animals operate. The Jakarta Post reported that, "Most of the time,
      illegal loggers run away when they see an elephant coming straight at
      them."

      [From:
      http://www.anc.org/wildlife/wildlife_article.cfm?identifier=2003_0605_elephants

      MEET AMORPHOPHALLUS TITANUM OR 'MR. STINKY': (Michael Bowman, 05/17/03) -
      "Miami (voa) - ... in Miami, scores of plant enthusiasts recently gathered
      to experience what they say is one of the most pungent, foulest odors that
      nature can provide. Inside, a mammoth plant known as "Amorphophallus
      Titanum", or Mr. Stinky for short, is about to bloom. Native to the
      Indonesian island of Sumatra, Mr. Stinky grows more than two meters tall.
      The cone produces an oil that the plant heats and expels through tiny holes
      as a noxious gas for roughly half a day before fading and eventually
      falling to the ground. "... in the jungle, the rainforest where Mr. Stinky
      comes from, he might have to attract a pollinator from many miles away,"
      [Mr. Allen] said [proudly].

      [Edited from:
      http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/?articleID=3672

      FROG MUSIC ARRIVES TO SUSTAIN SPACE STATION CREW: Moscow (Reuters.
      06/11/03) - "A Russian cargo rocket, the only remaining supply link to the
      International Space Station (news - web sites), arrived at the outpost
      Wednesday carrying food and recorded sounds of rain and croaking frogs for
      the homesick crew. Psychologists working with the Russian and U.S. space
      agencies say the sounds of nature will relax the crew and help them cope
      with the six-month stint in space."

      [From:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20030611/
      sc_nm/space_russia_dc

      *07: Articles: US/Global C02, Bottled Threats, Seedy Issues
      TRANSPORTATION IN US LARGEST GENERATOR OF CO2 EMISSIONS: STUDY (WashDC
      (AFP): 05/30/03: "The US transport system generates more carbon dioxide
      (CO2) emissions than the entire economy of any country in the world except
      China's, according to a new study released Thursday. In fact, the study by
      the Pew Center on Global Climate Change found that the US transport sector
      alone produces nearly one-third of the country's entire CO2 emissions.

      "The US transportation system emits more CO2 than any other nation's total
      economy, except that of China, and presently accounts for seven of 10
      barrels of oil this nation consumes," Claussen said. But, if the United
      States were to put to use existing technology and investments, carbon
      emissions could be cut by some 20 percent by 2015 compared with 'business
      as usual'."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.terradaily.com/2003/030529224647.b7d3q2xk.html

      [Original study, factoids, and lotsa suggestions/ideas:
      http://www.pewclimate.org/projects
      http://www.pewclimate.org/policy/index_transp.cfm

      SURGE IN BOTTLED WATER POPULARITY THREATENS ENVIRONMENT: Sacramento, CA -
      "... according to a report released today by the California Department of
      Conservation ... more than 1 billion water bottles are winding up in the
      trash in California each year. That translates into nearly 3 million empty
      water bottles going to the trash EVERY day and an estimated $26 million in
      unclaimed California Refund Value (CRV) deposits annually. If recycled, the
      raw materials from those bottles could be used to make 74 million square
      feet of carpet, 74 million extra large T-shirts or 16 million sweaters,
      among other things.

      Instead, they are swallowing landfill space, increasing air pollution and
      destroying the ozone layer. According to the report, only 16 percent of
      polyethylene terephthalate (PET) water bottles sold in California are being
      recycled. At that rate, the amount of water bottles thrown in the trash ten
      years from now would be enough to create a two lane, six-inch deep highway
      that stretches the entire coast of California.

      [Edited from (and report available at):
      http://www.consrv.ca.gov/index/news/2003%20News%20Releases/NR2003-13_Water_Bottl
      e_Crisis.htm

      CARTOON: "BOTTLED WATER"
      http://www.gristmagazine.com/ha/ha082001.asp?source=daily

      SEEDS OF DOUBT: MONSANTO IN COURT: 06/13/03: (Orna Izakson, E/The
      Environmental Magazine) - "Did Canadian canola farmer Percy Schmeiser
      intentionally plant patented, genetically engineered (GE) seed on his
      Saskatchewan farm in 1997 and 1998? Chemical giant Monsanto says he did; he
      says he didn't. A Canadian federal court ruled in 2001 that Schmeiser
      violated Monsanto's patent - regardless of how the seed got there - and
      must pay the company nearly $100,000.

      The case is now headed for Canada's Supreme Court, with Schmeiser's
      countersuit against Monsanto following close behind. The Saskatchewan
      farmer argues the chemical giant contaminated the environment and his crops
      through inadequate safeguards to prevent the spread of pollen and seed for
      its herbicide-resistant canola.

      Farmers who want the seed must buy it new from the company each year, sign
      special agreements to spray only Monsanto herbicides, and allow company
      officials unfettered access to their fields.

      Researchers at the University of Manitoba are shortly to publish findings
      that 32 of 33 supposedly GE-free seed lots in Canada were contaminated by
      as much as 5 percent genetically engineered seed."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-06-13/s_4773.asp

      [Check out the farmer's website:
      http://www.percyschmeiser.com/

      SEEDS MORE RISKY THAN POLLEN FOR GM ESCAPE: (06/03/03, Andy Coghlan) -
      "Seeds are more likely than pollen to spread genes from
      genetically-modified sugar beet into wild relatives, researchers have
      warned. Previously, concern about the leakage of genes from GM crops into
      the environment has focused on pollen, which can blow for long distances on
      the wind. But new research in France reveals that the transport of seeds
      may present a greater risk. Jean-Fran├žois Arnaud, head of the research
      team at Lille University, says: "Accidental transport of seeds within soils
      carried on motor vehicles, or by other normal agricultural activities
      provide the best explanation." The team found that the weedy hybrids,
      which produce more seeds that the commercial sugar beets, had somehow
      migrated 1500 metres from the fields and were mingling with wild sea beet."

      *08: Articles: Lab Secrets, Animals & Law, Babies & Birds
      EXPOSED: SECRETS OF THE ANIMAL ORGAN LAB: (Mark Townsend , 04/20/03, The
      Observor) - "This is Europe's largest animal research centre, the
      mysterious Government-sanctioned Huntingdon Life Sciences (HLS) laboratory.
      A huge volume of confidential documents - the largest-ever set of data
      concerning animal experiments in the UK. These documents chart the race to
      supply an unlimited supply of animal organs in a bid to save the lives of
      thousands of Britons.

      Many of the 1,274 pages of documents reveal a litany of failings that will
      serve to ignite further controversy over HLS, which last week won a
      ground-breaking injunction preventing animal protesters getting close to
      employees' homes. Fundamental questions over the value of vivisection
      itself will also be asked. The papers reveal attempts to bury the true
      extent of animal suffering from experiments conducted at the HLS
      laboratories between 1994 and 2000. Serious incidents of unlicensed animals
      suffering were not adequately investigated and regulations were not
      enforced properly.

      The verdict represents an extraordinary triumph for a Sheffield-based
      animal rights group, Uncaged Campaigns, which defeated the injunction
      imposed by Imutran and Novartis [30 months ago] to suppress the release of
      the documents. The group successfully argued that the issue was one of
      overwhelming public interest on a highly sensitive area of policy.

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,940033,00.html

      ANIMAL RIGHTS AND THE LAW: "This website contains materials written in the
      course on Animal Rights and the Law that [has been] taught at Rutgers
      University School of Law for over a decade.

      The materials on this website include selected documents from some of the
      legal and regulatory actions litigated by Francione and Charlton. These
      actions involve: the right of a student to object to vivisection or
      dissection in the classroom; hunting and wildlife issues, hunter
      "harassment," wild horses, animal sacrifices, and animal care committees.
      The website also offers on-line handbooks concerning freedom of expression
      and housing issues involving companion animals, various essays and journal
      articles on animal rights and animals and the law, information about books
      written by Francione and Charlton, and various state and federal laws and
      regulations.

      [Edited from the Home Page of this information site:
      http://www.animal-law.org/

      [Interview with Gary Francione:
      http://www.vegdot.org/special/Gary%20Francione

      VOCAL LEARNING SIMILAR IN HUMANS, BIRDS: (Kate Wong, 06/03/03) - "A baby
      songbird doesn't emerge from the egg singing perfectly. It starts out
      babbling, and gradually refines its tune over time. Human infants follow a
      similar developmental path when learning to talk. According to a report
      published online this week by the Proceedings of the National Academy of
      Sciences, babbling human babies respond to social cues from their mothers
      in much the way that avian babies do."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.sciam.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=00018110-C481-1EDB-8E1C809EC588
      EF21

      *09: Articles: Greens/NY, Farm Animal Confinement Poll/Ban
      GREENS LEAD TAKEOVER OF NEW PALTZ, N.Y.: Media Release: 05/08/03 - WashDC
      - "In an upset victory, Green Party of New York State committee member
      Jason West was elected Mayor of the Village of New Paltz. West campaigned
      for mayor on a platform of environmentally sustainability, calling for the
      creation of artificial wetlands to help the water treatment plant filter
      water without toxic chemicals. He also pledged to have Village government
      use solar power and wind energy, and to use biodiesel fuel in Department of
      Public Works trucks.

      At least 178 Greens in 24 states now hold elected office in the U.S."

      [Edited from and more Green Party links at:
      http://www.gp.org/press/pr_05_08_03.html

      OPPOSITION TO FARM ANIMAL CONFINEMENT SHOWN: (Amanda Katz. 05/30/03) - "A
      poll recently conducted by Zogby International has revealed that seven of
      every 10 California residents who have registered to vote favor enactment
      of legislation banning the use of veal and gestation crates to prevent
      calves and pregnant pigs from turning around and/or lying down comfortably.
      Use of the crates, which some farmers claim is necessary in order to
      maximize efficiency, has been banned by the government of the European
      Union. Use of gestation crates has been made illegal in Florida."

      Sources:
      http://www.farmsanctuary.org/newsletter/veal_calves.htm
      http://www.noveal.org/science.htm

      [Edited from:
      http://www.anc.org/farm/farm_article.cfm?identifier=2003_0530_confinement

      CALIFORNIA: INITIATIVE TO BAN GESTATION CRATES: "A statewide ballot
      initiative may be launched in California to outlaw the confinement of pigs
      on industrial factory farms. If so, volunteers will have to gather 600,000
      signatures to place this measure on the 2004 November ballot to ban the
      intensive and unnecessary confinement of breeding pigs. Following a
      successful initiative that banned the use of gestation crates for pregnant
      pigs in Florida last year, many organizations are considering launching a
      similar ballot initiative in California."

      [Edited from much more info at:
      http://www.hsus.org/ace/19073

      *10: Links/Info: Quick Bytes
      MAD COWS, SANE CATS: MAKING SENSE OF THE `SPECIES BARRIER' [a fine and
      detailed article about the science and confusion... requires free
      registration]
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/03/science/03SPEC.html

      HUMAN ACTIVITIES GIVE RISE TO NEW DISEASES [a great summary
      article/viewpoint from Dr. Suzuki]
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-06-03/s_4695.asp

      US HOUSE PANEL VOTES TO DENY USDA MONEY FOR COUNTRY-OF-ORIGIN MEAT LABELS
      http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/ap/tx/business/1957752

      [The entire FY04 Agriculture Appropriations Bill - check out these numbers]
      http://www.house.gov/appropriations/news/108_1/04agsub.htm

      A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO VEGANISM DURING PREGNANCY & THROUGHOUT CHILDHOOD
      http://www.vegansociety.com/html/info/info26.html

      FOR TEENS, DINNER WITH FAMILY MEANS HEALTHIER DIET
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=571&ncid=751&e=1&u=/nm/20030603/
      hl_nm/teens_dinner_dc

      VEG GENIUS INTERVIEWED ["Gregory Smith is a 13-year-old activist... he the
      founder of International Youth Advocates, an organization designed to give
      young people an opportunity to put an end to worldwide violence and
      suffering, Gregory also completed high school at the age of 10 and is
      graduating from college [May '03]. Gregory shares his reasons for becoming
      a vegetarian and how we all can help make the world a better place."]
      http://www.vegetarianteen.com/interviews.shtml

      VEGANFORLIFE ["VeganForLife is a grassroots, non-profit Vegan resource. We
      aim to respond to all queries about Vegan living, and one of our goals is
      to source Vegan products and information for the worldwide Vegan and
      Vegetarian community."]
      http://www.veganforlife.org/

      VEGANFOOD [Superb and extensive collection of well-organized vegan recipes]
      http://www.vegan-food.net/

      STEVEN'S PORTAL [an impressive collection of links and information on diet,
      agriculture, health, environment, the arts, education, social issues and
      "For everyone concerned about humanity and the world we live in."]
      http://www.stevensportal.com/index.html

      PROTECTION AGAINST MOSQUITOES AND OTHER ARTHROPOD VECTORS
      http://www.cdc.gov/travel/bugs.htm

      THE GREEN TAKE ON INSECT REPELLANTS AND SUNSCREENS
      http://www.gristmagazine.com/possessions/possessions061803.asp?source=daily

      SUMMER SOLSTICE - SATURDAY JULY 21, 2003
      http://www.infoplease.com/spot/solstice.html

      *11: AR2003 West/East Coast Conferences
      WHAT: Animal Rights 2003 is the animal rights movement's annual national
      conference. AR2003 provides a forum for teaching skills, sharing
      knowledge, discussing strategies and tactics, networking, and "recharging
      our batteries." This conference will feature 120 presenters from every
      faction of the animal rights movement. There will be in ten Plenary
      Sessions, 100 Workshops, 50 Campaign Reports, and 16 Rap Sessions. Other
      functions include Exhibits, Videos, Newcomer Orientation, Employment
      Clearinghouse, Group Workouts, Planning Meetings, Welcome and Networking
      Receptions, Awards Banquet, and the Animal Rights Hall of Fame.

      EAST
      When: June 27- July 1, 2003 (post-conference activities on July 2)
      Where: McLean VA (just outside Washington, D.C.)

      WEST
      When: Aug 1-5, 2003 (post-conference activities on Aug 6)
      Where: Los Angeles, CA

      Contact: info@...
      Website: http://www.animalrights2003.org

      Jun 21: Lodi, CA < Modern Manna's 9th Annual Health Healing Crusade
      Jun 28 - Jul 01: Washington DC < AR2003

      Aug 01 - Aug 05: Los Angeles, CA < AR2003
      Aug 06 - Aug 11: Johnstown, PA < NAVS Summerfest 2003

      Sep 22 - Sep 30: "We the People" Fall 2003 Tour (Spitfire)

      Oct 01: Winnepeg, Canada
      Oct 02: Moosejaw, Canada
      Oct 03: Calgary, Canada
      Oct 04: Red Deer, Canada
      Oct 05: Edmonton, Canada
      Oct 06: Kelowna, Canada
      Oct 07: Abbottsford, Canada
      Oct 08: Victoria, Canada
      Oct 09: Vancover, Canada
      Oct 11: Chicago EarthSave
      Oct 17 - 19: San Rafael CA < Bioneers Conference

      Nov 09: Orange Co., NY
      Nov 22 - Dec 23: USA < Vegetarian Vision

      Feb 15 - 21: CHIP Cruise

      Apr 07 - 14: Maui, Hawaii

      [More details, links and contact info at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *13: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      Both Mooshoes and VeganCats will donate 5% of sales accessed through the
      MadCowboy Home Page to the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary.
      Check 'em out! Mooshoes sells much more than shoes, and VeganCats sells
      cruelty-free products for cats AND dogs!

      *14: Closing Thoughts from Will Rogers