05_29_03: Mad Cow Exclusive, Food Safety Songs, & New Contest!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2003
      Howdy! Welcome to the 22nd edition of the Mad Cowboy e-Newsletter.

      This is a special event. Mad Cow Disease (BSE) has been all over the news
      the past week due to verification that a cow in Canada had the disease. In
      tune with this major news, Howard has reflected on his 13 years of speaking
      out about the potential dangers of BSE, and wrote an essay for us about his
      "Mad Cow Journey." It is an exclusive for the Newsletter and won't be
      posted on the MC website until next week.

      As such, there are several related articles and resources about Mad Cow in
      Canada, available in this issue, and it's a bit longer than normal. For
      space considerations, the usual "resources" section (usually containing
      links on veg'n, recipes, organic gardening, nutrition, etc.) has been
      omitted.

      In this edition, among many things, you'll still get a chance to listen and
      laugh at "Food Safety Songs,"know about our new & regularly featured "Vegan
      Mind-Bender Contest," find out about the estimated costs of obesity to the
      U.S., how legumes help prevent heart disease, the 10 foods best to eat as
      organic, a major event in wind power, that a Congressman is concerned about
      industry's treatment of livestock, learn about a movie that has the fish
      industry concerned, and understand the potential risks to Monsanto's
      investors from genetic engineering. Then there's the Nobel-prize winner
      who says that the U.S. Gov't and Cattle Industry are doing a "terrible job."

      As always, a nod of the hat to our new subscribers. Welcome aboard! You
      can read back issues of the Newsletter (including the aforementioned
      "resource" sections) at:

      And hear's hoping we dry out on the East Coast, cool down in the West, and
      have no more tornadoes in the mid-section....

      Best to all, Mark Editor

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Exclusive: "My Mad Cow Journey" by Howard Lyman
      01: New Pix from Howard's Digital Camera
      02: The Vegan Mind Bender Contest!
      03: Articles: Mad Cow Disease - Spring 2003
      04: Humor: Food Safety Songs
      05: Articles: Obesity Costs, Legumes/Heart, Veggies/Arteries,+
      06: Articles: Gene/Weather Engineering, Wind Power, Fish Gone,+
      07: Articles: Rep. Moran/Peta, Movie/Fish Industry, Shelter Music,+
      08: Links: Quick Bytes
      09: AR2003 West/East Coast Conferences
      10: Howard's Schedule
      11: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      12: Answer to Last Issue's Question(s)
      13: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Howard: "My Mad Cow Journey"
      "Thirteen years ago was the first time I publicly spoke out about what I
      considered a looming potential disaster, bovine spongiform encephalopathy,
      (BSE) or what has become known as mad cow disease.

      During these years I have been bombarded with verbal and legal abuse from
      many different adversaries. These adversaries have unlimited funds. I
      wish I could say the same about my position.

      Year after year I have called for an honest approach to a problem that may
      demand a cost in human life which is beyond comprehension by most citizens
      of the world. Governments have repeatedly chosen to ignore the problem
      until the cost of the solution has reached astronomic proportions.

      England, the first known place of BSE, denied the problem to the point
      where they almost destroyed the cattle industry along with more than three
      and a half million of their cattle. Even today the industry only survives
      with taxpayer support.

      With England's example, you would think other countries around the world,
      using like feeding practices, would learn and try to err on the side of
      safety. Unfortunately that lesson is yet to be learned. Germany using
      the same BSE test we are using was adamant their agriculture practices were
      preventing mad cow in their herds. When they started administrating the
      rapid test, which is free from human error, they found plenty of infected
      animals.

      I have tried to educate our nation so we would not have to repeat this
      painful lesson. For this effort I have been attacked by the animal
      industry and accused of being a traitor to the business where I worked the
      majority of my life.

      When verbal abuse didn't work they tried the legal path. I had appeared on
      the Oprah Winfrey television show explaining to millions of viewers that we
      were feeding cows to cows. Subsequently I spent over six years defending
      myself in four suits brought by cattle feeders. Litigation continued even
      after the appellate court said, in their opinion, every thing I said on the
      Oprah Show was true and the truth is not actionable.

      I can't count the number of times we have heard public officials state that
      BSE is not a threat to the human population. That, BSE is only an animal
      problem, which has been controlled by the swift action of government
      agents. Every time these assurances have proved to be wishful thinking.

      Country after country has tried to deal with this problem with a public
      relations campaign. Each time it has backfired, exposing the consuming
      public to greater danger while trying to enhance the profits of the animal
      industry.

      I'm on the record saying that the United States, using similar feeding
      practices as England, should expect similar results. We have been
      reassured repeatedly not to worry because we have installed the so-called
      firewalls to protect our industry from mad cow disease. With over
      thirty-seven million cattle being slaughtered each year in the U.S., we are
      testing less than twenty thousand. This is like a blind person finding a
      needle in a haystack.

      Today we are faced with the report a confirmed case of mad cow in Canada.
      Canada exports almost eighty percent of their bovine animals to the United
      States annually. In reaction to this report we immediately banned Canadian
      beef and sent out a press release declaring consumers in the U.S. safe.

      The United States and Canada can almost be considered one country as far as
      the animal population is concerned. Our wild animals are not impeded by
      the lines drawn on a map and our farm animals travel, both live and dead,
      in the millions across the borders. The recent assurances from public
      officials from both the U.S. and Canada repeat the failed statements of the
      past.

      I will continue to speak on the dangers in our food supply. These efforts
      could have been avoided if consumer safety would have been addressed
      instead of corporate profit. This war is not over but the end is in sight.
      Let us pray we need not fill our cemeteries to bring this war to an end."

      - Howard Lyman, May 27, 2003

      *01: New Pix from Howard's Digital Camera
      [Howard in Worthington, Ohio for a radio broadcast, at the Wellness Forum,
      in Potomac, MD, and at the Adventist Book Center in Silver, Spring, MD]
      http://www.madcowboy.com/05_27_03_HL_Pix

      correct answer to each MC Newsletter's Contest.

      THIS WEEK'S POSER:
      "What's produced in the U.S., with near 50% of the total harvest from
      Arkansas, and the other 50% from California, Louisiana, Missippi, Missouri,
      and Texas combined? 90% of the total production is consumed in the U.S.,
      the rest is exported."

      HINT: only Thailand and India export more than the U.S. of this product.

      [E-Mail your answers by 06/09/03 to: webmaster@...
      and please use the word "Contest" in your Subject Line. One entry per MC
      Newsletter subscriber, tks!]

      [Many thanks to Joe, and you can learn more about VegNews at:
      http://www.vegnews.com or e-mail: editor@... or call 1
      415-665-NEWS. VegNews is published monthly by the Vegan News Network.
      Subscriptions are $20/yr in the US, $30/yr in Canada, and $40/yr elsewhere.
      Vegnews accepts articles for publication.]

      *03: Articles: Mad Cow Disease - Spring 2003
      BSE IN CANADA
      "Canada has been virtually free of BSE, bovine spongiform encephalopathy,
      also known as Mad Cow Disease. But in May 2003, veterinary officials in
      Alberta confirmed that a sick cow sent to a slaughterhouse in January had
      been condemned, removed from the food chain and sent to a processing plant
      for rendering. Officials, suspicious of the animal, kept its head. Samples
      were sent to the world testing laboratories in the U.K., which confirmed
      the case."

      [In Depth: The Science and the Story:
      http://www.cbc.ca/news/indepth/madcow/canada.html

      'MAD COW' LIKELY FED TO PIGS, CHICKENS
      05/21/03: Edmonton: "Despite assurances that a cow infected with mad cow
      disease was never eaten by humans, officials said Wednesday it was likely
      fed to pigs and chickens which in turn could have been on a dinner table.
      But officials rushed to say the risk of contracting the human version of
      bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) through another animal is low.

      Also on Wednesday, the U.S. said the border will likely be closed to
      Canadian beef for weeks, so Washington can be satisfied the food supply is
      safe from BSE. The U.S., Japan, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea
      have all stopped importing Canadian beef, a move that could be devastating
      to the industry if it lasts for any length of time."

      [Edited from:
      http://calgary.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ca_2madcow20030521

      MAD COW PARTS IN DOG FOOD
      05/28/03: Ottawa: "Some parts of a Canadian cow that tested positive for
      mad cow disease may have been made into dog food sold in the United States,
      officials have revealed. Urging consumers to return the product, the US
      Food and Drug Administration said it had learned from the Government of
      Canada that "rendered material" from the diseased cow may have been used in
      the pet food.

      Brian Evans, the chief veterinary official with the Canadian Food
      Inspection Agency, said the dry dog food, with the brand name Kibble, may
      have been distributed in both Canada and the United States. He told
      reporters, however, that there was no known case of any dog suffering from
      any variety of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), also known as mad
      cow disease."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6506116%255E1702,00.htm

      BSE KILLING EUROPE'S PETS
      Autumn, 2001 Earth Island Journal Vol. 16, No. 3 by Ann N. Martin:
      "Contaminated material from cattle infected with BSE has been rendered and
      used in commercial pet foods in Europe. Most scientists determined the
      practice would be safe; that BSE would not cross the species barrier. They
      were wrong. As of January 2000, more than 100 cats in the UK had died from
      illnesses attributed to eating diseased meat contained in commercial pet
      foods made in Europe. Some veterinarians believe the actual number of cats
      who died from feline spongiform encephalopathy (the feline variant of mad
      cow disease) is far greater.

      In 1996... not only were household cats contracting the disease but it had
      also spread to animals in zoos where it killed a lion, five cheetahs, three
      ocelots, two tigers, three pumas, six eland, six kudu and one bison.

      For years, government officials claimed that dogs were not susceptible to a
      canine form of BSE. But were we getting the truth? In 1997, Reuters
      European Business unearthed a 1991 study on the brains of 444 dead hunting
      hounds that suggested some of the animals had developed the first signs of
      "spongiform disease." Despite the concerns of medical doctors and
      veterinarians, no further tests on the tissue samples from these animals
      were ever done."

      [The above very excerpted from:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/petsautumn01.cfm

      BEEF WASTE IN CHICKEN
      05/21/03: The Guardian, Felicity Lawrence: "Food processors have been
      caught on video boasting that they have developed undetectable methods of
      adulterating the chicken that goes into hospitals, schools and restaurants
      with cheap beef waste and water. In what is likely to be a major food
      scandal, secret filming for BBC1's Panorama has revealed that vast
      quantities of frozen chicken coming into the UK each week have been
      injected with beef proteins."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,2763,960404,00.html

      CANADIAN BEEF FAT USED IN FOOD PRODUCTS/COSMETICS
      05/23/03: New Zealand: "Food Safety Authority (FSA) officials say 350
      tonnes of beef fat imported from Canada since 2002 have been used in
      cooking and products such as cosmetics. The FSA has been tracking Canadian
      beef products after the discovery of a case there of "mad cow" disease."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3503530&thesection=news&th
      /esubsection=general

      NOBEL SCIENTIST: "U.S. GOV'T/CATTLE INDUSTRY DOING A TERRIBLE JOB"
      05/23/03: KQED Forum hosted by Angie Coiro: Mad Cow Disease in Canada:

      Guests (partial list, full is at links below): Stanley Prusiner, director
      of the Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases, professor of neurology at
      UCSF, founder of InPro Biotechnology and awarded the Nobel Prize in
      Physiology / Medicine in 1997 Michael Greger, BSE coordinator of the
      Organic Consumers Association, Gary Weber, executive director of regulatory
      affairs for the National Cattlemen's Beef Association

      Michael Greger: "In the European Union they banned the feeding of all
      slaughterhouse waste to livestock, and we should do that here in North
      America as well. Both in Canada and United States, we still allow the
      feeding of cattle remains to pigs and chickens; we still allow the feeding
      of blood and tallow as starter rations to a number of animals like young
      pigs and calves."

      Host: "Do you have any of these same concerns, Stanley Prusiner, about
      what's acceptible in U.S. cattle feeds?"

      Stanley Prusiner: "Yeah, I think that we shouldn't be using anything from
      ruminants in cattle feed; I think that's clear."

      [...]

      Stanley Prusiner: "I want to come back to Dr. Weber for a moment... Dr.
      Weber sees the USDA and the U.S. government and the cattle industry doing a
      great job in the United States. I see them as doing a terrible job in the
      United States. I think we have to be very clear--we have about a hundred
      million cattle in the United States, and we slaughter about a third of
      these every year. About one percent of this hundred million cattle are
      called downer cattle, or fallen cattle--they fall down and they die. And
      these animals just disappear. And when we talk about 19,000 cattle [tested
      last year in the United States for mad cow disease]--looking at those
      animals--they represent, most of that number represents fallen cattle. But
      that's 19,000 out of a million... so I think those numbers [of cattle
      tested in the U.S.] are appalling."

      [major edit]

      Stanley Prusiner: "Well, I'd like to see every downer cattle, every fallen
      cow tested. That's a beginning. And then after that, at some point, I'd
      like to see every cow tested, just as they do in Japan. Every single cow is
      being tested in Japan."

      [VERY edited from Dr. Greger's posted excerpts in their entirety at:

      [Listen to the whole incredible interview online:
      http://www.kqed.org/programs/program-archive.jsp?progID=RD19&ResultStart=1&Resul
      tCount=10&type=radio

      [Chronology: The Spread Of Mad Cow Disease
      http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N20216647.htm

      [Robert Cohen's Speculation on BSE in America:
      http://www.notmilk.com/itshere.html

      [Dr. Greger's superb collection of articles/links:
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow.htm

      *04: Humor: Food Safety Songs
      "As a serious food toxicologist with 15 years of experience as a University
      of California faculty member, I enjoy conducting research and developing
      food safety educational programs. For the past five years, I have
      combined my previous background as a musician with my scientific and
      communication training to develop an innovative, humorous, and effective
      musical approach for food safety education.

      I develop parodies of popular songs by re-writing their lyrics, composing
      and recording musical arrangements, and producing the music. The songs can
      be accessed directly from this website as RealPlayer streaming audio
      files." [Craig Winter]

      [Mad Cow Disease: "Beware La Vaca Loco"
      Inspiration: "Livin' La Vida Loca" (Ricky Martin)

      http://foodsafe.ucdavis.edu/FSMUSIC/mras/lavacaloca.ram
      http://foodsafe.ucdavis.edu/FSMUSIC/lyricsweb.html#lavacaloca

      ["Veggie Believer:"
      Inspiration: "I'm A Believe" (The Monkees)

      http://foodsafe.ucdavis.edu/FSMUSIC/mras/veggie.ram
      http://foodsafe.ucdavis.edu/FSMUSIC/lyricsweb.html#veggiebeliever

      [There are several songs, and they are hilarious.... check it all out at:
      http://foodsafe.ucdavis.edu/music.html

      *05: Articles: Obesity Costs, Legumes/Heart, Veggies/Arteries,+
      OBESITY REPORTED TO COST U.S. $93B A YEAR
      05/14/03: WashDC (Laura Meckler, AP): "Obesity is costing not only
      American lives, but dollars too. A study tallies that $93 billion per year
      goes to treat health problems of people who are overweight. Overall,
      spending attributed to excessive weight made up 9 percent of all medical
      spending in 1998, researchers reported Wednesday on the Web site of the
      journal Health Affairs."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/breaking_news/5855363.htm

      [Study results, methodology, interactive information:
      http://www.healthaffairs.org/WebExclusives/Finkelstein_Web_Excl_051403.htm

      COPPER MAY BE BEHIND LEGUMES' HEART-HEALTHY PROPERTIES
      08/12/02: Grand Forks, ND: "Increased dietary copper through legume
      consumption may protect against heart disease, according to an editorial by
      Leslie M. Klevay, M.D., S.D.(Hyg), (USDA's Human Nutrition Research
      Center), [discussing a study] in which researchers identified a reduced
      risk of coronary heart disease with increased legume consumption.

      The researchers concluded legumes protected against heart disease because
      of the possible protective properties of calcium, fiber, folate, magnesium,
      potassium or vegetable protein, but Klevay believes copper is the
      heart-healthy nutrient. Klevay cited research on the copper content of
      legumes, of which soy and lima beans ranked in the upper tertile of 235
      foods for copper content."

      [Edited from (with cite details):
      http://www.hsrmagazine.com/hotnews/28h12113233.html

      [Original study abstract (free):
      http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/161/21/2573

      [Editorial cited above: (requires subscription):
      http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/162/15/1780

      FRUITS AND VEGETABLES MAY HELP KEEP ARTERIES ELASTIC
      05/21/03: "Blood vessel reactions after high-fat meals offer clues to how a
      balanced diet may protect health. Components of fruits and vegetables
      appear to help blood vessels retain their ability to expand in response to
      increased blood flow, even after a high-fat meal, according to a new study
      in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Dr. Plotnick
      cautioned that the results do not suggest that fruit and vegetable
      concentrates can protect people from damaging health effects of a poor
      diet. The study did not look at the increase in cholesterol or other
      health effects associated with fatty diets."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.acc.org/media/releases/highlights/2003/may03/fruits.htm

      WHO TREATY ON SMOKING
      05/21/03: GENEVA (Reuters, Richard Waddington): "More than 190 countries on
      Wednesday approved the first international treaty against smoking,
      including an advertising ban, aimed at kicking a habit that kills nearly 5
      million people a year.

      The U.N. health agency says that the toll is likely to exceed 10 million by
      2020, with 70 percent of the victims in the developing world. Many of the
      pact's policies already apply in rich countries, but for much of the
      developing world -- where some 800 million of the world's 1.2 billion
      smokers live -- it marks the first attempt to fight what the WHO says is
      already the biggest cause of premature death.

      The United States, home to some of the world's largest tobacco companies,
      said its constitution -- guaranteeing rights of free speech -- prevented
      any such prohibition.

      "This is an outstanding day when you can stand up and make a tremendous
      step forward for good public health across the world," U.S. Health
      Secretary Tommy Thompson said, although he stopped short of committing
      Washington to ratifying it."

      [Edited from:
      http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=2786865

      *06: Articles: Gene/Weather Engineering, Wind Power, Fish Gone,+
      PUTIN ORDERS THE CLOUDS NOT TO RAIN ON HIS PARADE
      05/23/03: (Clem Cecil, TimesOnline): Moscow: "President Putin has ordered
      fine weather for the St Petersburg summit and 300th anniversary festivities
      next week, and it is unlikely to rain on his parade. Ten aeroplanes will
      take to the skies, equipped with cloud-seeding agents in an attempt to
      induce rain away from the city, allowing holidaymakers and visiting heads
      of state to enjoy dry weather below. Russia's first private weather
      controlling agency, the Atmosphere Technologies Agency, will be taking part
      in the delicate operation. It is hoping for rainclouds. "No rainclouds
      equals no pay," Viktor Petrov, the deputy director, said."

      MONSANTO & GENETIC ENGINEERING: RISKS FOR INVESTORS
      04/2003: "Innovest Strategic Value Advisors, a financial services firm
      based in New York, London, Paris and Toronto, analyzed investor risks
      related to Monsanto's genetic engineering (GE) strategy [commissioned by
      Greenpeace]. Monsanto received a CCC EcoValue'21 rating from Innovest,
      the lowest environmental rating. As a result, it will likely underperform
      in the stock market over the mid to long-term.

      Environmentally, Monsanto warns investors in its 10K about substantial
      losses that could result from unintended contamination of food crops by its
      GE seeds. Given the tendency of pollen and seeds to spread in nature,
      contamination is inevitable. As a result, the company is lobbying for
      regulations that allow some GE contamination of non-GE food products.

      Contamination of food crops by GE seeds designed to produce pharmaceutical
      products (GE pharma crops) poses an even greater risk to investors.
      Indicating the inevitability of such contamination, GE corn designed to
      produce pig vaccine recently contaminated food crops in Nebraska and Iowa.
      Contamination of food products by Monsanto's GE pharma crops could bankrupt
      the firm and cause substantial investor losses."

      [Very edited. Read the Executive Summary or Download the full report:
      http://www.greenpeaceusa.org/media/publications/monsanto_investors2003.htm

      GE'S MOVE INTO WIND POWER BUSINESS SEEN AS SIGNIFICANT
      05/16/03: (John Christoffersen, AP): Fairfield, Conn.: "A year after its
      purchase of Enron Corp.'s wind turbine business, GE expects the operation
      to generate more than $1 billion in revenue during 2003 and expand about 20
      percent annually.

      "The purchase of the wind manufacturing company by GE is really a historic
      move that symbolizes the maturation of the wind industry," said Randall
      Swisher, executive director of the American Wind Energy Association."

      [Very edited from:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-05-16/s_4482.asp

      RAPID WORLDWIDE DEPLETION OF PREDATORY FISH COMMUNITIES
      05/14/03: (Patricia Reaney): London (Reuters): "Large predatory fish --
      marlin, tuna and swordfish -- are disappearing from the world's oceans,
      with their numbers down by 90 percent in the past 50 years, Canadian
      scientists said on Wednesday. "There is no blue frontier left."

      [Edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20030514/
      sc_nm/science_fish_dc

      [Study cited:
      http://www.nature.com/nature/links/030515/030515-1.html

      [First paragraph of study:
      http://www.nature.com/doifinder/10.1038/nature01610

      *07: Articles: Rep. Moran/Peta, Movie/Fish Industry, Shelter Music,+
      CONGRESSMAN MORAN CALLS FOR BETTER TREATMENT OF LIVESTOCK
      05/20/04: WashDC: "Cows, chickens, pigs, and other animals that Americans
      eat everyday are still subject to inhumane treatment," Congressman Jim
      Moran, Virginia Democrat, said today as he joined actor Alec Baldwin and
      the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in calling for better
      treatment of livestock.

      "Animals deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, even those that
      will be slaughtered for human consumption," Moran said. "Cruel acts against
      these defenseless animals cannot and should not be tolerated. Congress, in
      a very bipartisan way, has made clear through the HMSA that livestock must
      be treated humanly. The Agriculture Department must not shirk from its
      responsibilities in enforcing the law."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.moran.house.gov/issues2.cfm?id=5985

      NEW DISNEY MOVIE HAS PET FISH INDUSTRY NERVOUS
      05/25/03: Los Angeles (AP): "Walt Disney Co. and Pixar Inc.'s animated
      film, "Finding Nemo", opens Friday, and it has pet-fish traders worried
      about rough seas ahead. Eric Cohen, co-owner of Sea Dwelling Creatures
      Inc., a Los Angeles distributor of wild-caught marine fish and coral said
      he is concerned moviegoers may walk out of the film saying, "fish should
      not be separated from their friends in the ocean."

      Some believe the movie could even boost fish sales. Pet Store owner Mitch
      Gibbs of Bowling Green, Ky, said he's not worried. "'Bambi' did not stop
      deer hunting," he said."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.gainesvillesun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030525/APN/305250576

      HOUSE REJECTS LAW AGAINST PHOTOGRAPHING FARM ANIMALS
      05/14/03: (AP): "A proposal that would have made it a felony to photograph
      animals on private property was rejected Tuesday by the Missouri House.
      The provision would have made it a Class D felony, carrying a maximum five
      years in prison, to make a photograph, videotape or image of "any aspect of
      an animal facility" if the recording equipment were placed on private
      property.

      Reps. Rick Johnson and Rob Schaaf led the fight to kill the proposal, which
      Johnson called the "puppy mill protection act" -- a reference to Missouri's
      dog breeding operations, some of which are criticized over their methods
      and practices.

      The proposal was introduced by Rep. Jim Guest, R-King City, who said he
      wanted to protect farmers from animal rights activists."

      [Edited from:
      http://www.newstribune.com/stories/051403/sta_0514030961.asp

      SHELTER PLAYS CLASSICAL MUSIC FOR ANIMALS
      Scottsdale, AZ: "The Arizona Animal Welfare League has started playing
      classical music to calm animals at its no-kill shelter. The music comes
      courtesy of Scottsdale residents Scott Goldberg and Hannah Romberg, who
      paid for the installation and service for the Muzak system that provides
      the music continuously via satellite.

      A United Kingdom study published in the journal Animal Welfare says shelter
      animals overwhelmingly spend more time in a relaxed state when exposed to
      classical music.

      "The dogs bark less and are more relaxed when people visit the shelter,"
      Weiner [League VP] said. "Visitors stay longer and spend more time with
      animals, so more may be adopted."

      [Edited from:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&ncid=816&e=11&u=/ap/20030526
      /ap_on_fe_st/calming_animals

      *08: Links: Fast Bytes
      CAN SHE REALLY EAT LOCALLY? AN EXPERIMENT:
      http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0514/p14s02-lifo.html

      WE WILL TURN VEGGIE BY 2047?
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12971726&method=full&site
      id=50143&headline=WE%20WILL%20TURN%20VEGGIE%20BY%202047

      AMERICA'S TOP 10 VEGETARIAN-FRIENDLY CITIES (AND THE FIVE THAT AREN'T)
      http://www.peta.org/feat/vegcities/

      BROCCOLI CHEMICAL BLOCKS CANCER CELL GROWTH
      http://www.bio.com/newsfeatures/newsfeatures_research.jhtml?action=view&contentI
      tem=110339996&Page=1

      ONE GRADUATE'S TRASH IS ANOTHER'S TREASURE
      http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0520/p13s01-lecs.html

      HIDDEN TOXINS IN HOMES/10 IMPORTANT FOODS TO EAT ORGANIC
      http://www.seventhgeneration.com/page.asp?id=1186#6

      *09: AR2003 West/East Coast Conferences
      WHAT: Animal Rights 2003 is the animal rights movement's annual national
      conference. This year it will be held on both the East and West coasts.
      AR2003 provides a forum for teaching skills, sharing knowledge, discussing
      strategies and tactics, networking, and "recharging our batteries." This
      conference will feature 120 presenters from every faction of the animal
      rights movement. There will be in ten Plenary Sessions, 100 Workshops, 50
      Campaign Reports, and 16 Rap Sessions. Other functions include Exhibits,
      Videos, Newcomer Orientation, Employment Clearinghouse, Group Workouts,
      Planning Meetings, Welcome and Networking Receptions, Awards Banquet, and
      the Animal Rights Hall of Fame.

      EAST
      When: June 27- July 1, 2003 (post-conference activities on July 2)
      Where: McLean VA (just outside Washington, D.C.)

      WEST
      When: Aug 1-5, 2003 (post-conference activities on Aug 6)
      Where: Los Angeles, CA

      Contact: info@...
      Website: http://www.animalrights2003.org

      Jun 21: Lodi, CA < 4pm to 515pm; Modern Manna's Health Healing Crusade:
      http://www.modernmanna.org

      Jun 28 - Jul 01: AR2003 (Wash. DC)

      Aug 01 - 05: AR2003 (Los Angeles, CA)
      Aug 06 - 11: Johnstown, PA < NAVS Summerfest 2003

      Oct 04: Canadian University at Red Deer Alberta
      Oct 11: Chicago EarthSave
      Oct 17 - 19 San Rafael CA < Bioneers Conference - http://www.bioneers.org

      Nov 09: Orange Co., NY
      Nov 22: NYC < Vegetarian Vision

      Feb 15 - 22: CHIP Cruise - http://www.dumptheplump.com

      [More details and contact info at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *11: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      Both Mooshoes and VeganCats will donate 5% of sales accessed through the
      MadCowboy Home Page to the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary.
      Check 'em out! Mooshoes sells much more than shoes, and VeganCats sells
      cruelty-free products for cats AND dogs!

      *12: Answer to Last Issue's Question(s)
      "According to the USDA statistics, total X production in the United States
      in 1999 was 7.94 billion pounds. For every one pound of X produced,
      approximately 9 pounds of Y result. "

      "If not disposed of properly, Y can increase soil salinity and promote
      blue-green algae by adding phosphorous to our waterways. Created as a
      by-product of X manufacture, Y can by sprayed onto fields or discharged
      into the sewerage system, but it has such a high biological oxygen demand
      that it can kill fresh water and the plants and animals that live in it. "

      QUESTION: what are "X" and "Y"? Hint: most people don't know that "Y" is
      in their food products as a tasteless and cheap filler.

      ANSWER: "X" is cheese, and "Y" is whey. [contains cow blood cells,
      proteins, hormones]

      [Sources:
      http://www.nabt.org/sub/htdi/v62n01p065.asp
      http://www.wastenot-organics.wisc.edu/library/whey.htm
      http://www.osmonics.com/products/Page232.htm

      *13: Closing Thought(s)
      "In some, change inspires fear. What would happen to the economy, one
      friend challenged me, if I had my way and the nation went vegetarian? What
      would happen to all the jobs in the meat industry?

      They would be lost, of course. Gone would be all the jobs in the
      slaughterhouses - the most dangerous jobs in America - as well as all the
      other foul jobs in meat processing, not to mention all the minimum wage
      jobs flipping burgers. They would be replaced by even more jobs - safer,
      cleaner, more satisfying, and probably better-paying jobs - in the
      production and selling of organic, healthy, plant-based products. The
      savings in medical costs attributable to meat consumption, estimated at $28
      to $61 billion annually, would be plowed back into our economy and boost
      its productivity enormously.

      The question we must ask ourselves as a culture is whether or not we want
      to embrace the change that must come, or resist it."

      -- Howard Lyman (edited from "Mad Cowboy" p. 187 & 188 (1998, with Glen
      Merzer))