04_22_03: Earth Day, Zero Waste, Green Roofs, & Worldometers

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22 1:16 PM
      Howdy! Welcome to the 20th Issue of the Mad Cowboy e-Newsletter!

      In this edition we've got an excerpt of one of Howard's 24 fifteen minute
      video segments on the "Environment" (they are all in the process of being
      transcribed), new pix of the Filming of the Documentary, buncha shots taken
      with Howard's camera during recent travel, and a strong environmental focus
      as today is Earth Day!

      Reading further you'll learn about the History of Earth Day, some of the
      best websites for near real-time satellite imagery of the Earth,
      Worldometers, about seven special people who were awarded the equivalent of
      the "Nobel Prize" for their environmental activism, cranberry juice helping
      prevent cancer, and the $250,000 toilet.

      There's a story about the world's oldest living dog being vegan, a bit of
      the history of compost, harvesting spaghetti, the "Hippie Gourmet," a ton
      of links for urban and container gardening (you have started your garden,
      haven't you?), a disturbing article on where animal products are used
      without our overt knowledge, and notice of the first scientific study to
      give solid evidence that a diet of whole grains helps prevent diabetes.

      And as always, a special nod of the hat to our new subscribers. Y'all can
      read back issues of the Newsletter at:

      Finally, to everyone and theirs, a very Happy Earth Day!

      Best regards, Mark Editor

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      00: Excerpt from Howard on "Recycling"
      01: Pix from Filming the Documentary
      02: New Digital Pix from Howard's Camera
      03: Earth Day History, Earth Pix Links, & Worldometers
      04: Articles: Enviro Awards, Global Sanitation, Plant Trees
      05: Articles: Compost History, TeleGarden, Green Roofs
      06: Humor: The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest
      07: Articles: Animal Products, Rendering, "Live" BSE Tests
      08: Article: The World's Oldest Dog: Vegan??
      09: Articles: Cranberries, Whole Grains, the Anti-Emeril
      10: Resources: Urban & Container Gardening
      11: Resources: Veg'n
      12: Animal Rights 2003
      13: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      14: Howard's Schedule
      15: Answer to Last Issue's Question
      16: Next Issue
      17: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Excerpt from Howard on "Recycling"
      "Hi, my name is Howard Lyman, better known as "the Mad Cowboy." I'm a 4th
      generation agriculturalist from Montanna. I travel about a hundred
      thousand miles a year around this Earth. I believe the way we are treating
      our environment today is absolutelly totally non-sustainable. The Earth is
      a gift from God and our responsibility.

      We together, can be a Voice for a Viable Future. Every day we knowingly or
      unknowingly make choices. Let's look at making beter choices. Our
      environment is a gigantic interconnected system which resembles a puzzle.
      Today, we will look at one of those pieces of the puzzle. I want to spend
      some time reviewing these problems so we can assure our children and
      grandchildren a viable future.

      Our topic day, is "recycling." Let's examine some important facts.

      Recyling.... many of us, we look at it and say "we'll, I'm already doing
      it... I save aluminum cans. I recyle my newspaper, my plastics."

      How many people stop and take a look at 'recycling' as we should? We
      should be looking at "zero-waste." We should be looking at those things
      that we're buying being re-designed in the products and packaging so that
      they are totally re-cyclable. The product producer has a tremendous
      responsibility in this, but remember, their job is supplying the demand of
      the customers. Are we demanding that we get something that has
      zero-waste? Investing in infra-structure is by far better than putting
      money in landfills and incinerators. These are not the solution, they are
      part of the problem. We need to start working ending tax-payer subsidies on
      wasteful and polluting industries, we need to create jobs and businesses
      from discards."

      [Note: Howard taped 24 fifteen minute segments on topics related to the
      Environment. They are currently being broadcast around the world on 3ABN]

      *01: Pix from Filming the Documentary
      Pat Fitzgerald is one of the film crew for "Mad Cowboy: The Feature
      Documentary," set for release later this year. The following is the 3th of
      4 sets shot by Pat during filming in the U.S.:

      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCDOC_USA_PF_vO3/index.html

      [Previous U.S. Pix from Pat:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCDOC_USA_PF_v01/index.html
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCDOC_USA_PK_v02/index.html

      *02: New Digital Pix from Howard's Camera
      http://www.madcowboy.com/04_17_03_HowardPix/index.html

      [Note: check out the beautiful "Boston Holocaust Memorial," background
      info about the memorial to a Quaker woman burned at the stake, the origin
      of the Democratic "donkey" symbol, the self-cleaning toilets of Boston, and
      Colonel Shaw (of "Glory" fame). Info links are available with the
      thumbnail pictures]

      *03: Earth Day History, Earth Pix Links, & Worldometers
      "Earth Day worked because of the spontaneous response at the grassroots
      level. We had neither the time nor resources to organize 20 million
      demonstrators and the thousands of schools and local communities that
      participated. That was the remarkable thing about Earth Day. It organized
      itself." (Senator Gaylord Nelson)

      [From:
      http://earthday.envirolink.org/history.html

      [See also:
      http://earthday.envirolink.org/

      IMAGES OF THE EARTH:

      Five views of the Earth in visible, infrared, and water vapor, updated
      continously, on ONE web page:
      http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/sat-bin/global.cgi

      The NEW GOES-12 satellite imagery of the United States, updated continously:
      http://rsd.gsfc.nasa.gov/goese/autogvar/goes8/hurrican/color/0000_latest.jpg

      GOES-10 (Pacific Coast point of view of continental United States, updated
      continously:
      http://rsd.gsfc.nasa.gov/goesf/autogvar/goes9/pacific/color/0000_latest.jpg

      The best collection of Earth data-based imagery & articles on the Internet:
      http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/

      WORLDOMETERS: Worldometers on Population, Food Supply, Education, Economy
      & Gov't, Energy, Health, and Environment:
      http://www.osearth.com/resources/worldometers/

      *04: Articles: Enviro Awards, Global Sanitation, Plant Trees
      7 ACTIVISTS WIN TOP ENVIRONMENTAL PRIZE: 04/15/03: by Michael Kahn,
      Reuters - San Francisco, CA: "A coal miner's daughter fighting to end a
      destructive form of mining and two Aboriginal elders working to block the
      construction of a nuclear waste dump in Australia were among seven winners
      of a top environmental prize awarded Monday.

      "This year's winners have looked beyond themselves, often risking freedom
      or safety, to inspire their communities for environmental protections,"
      said Richard Goldman, the award's founder. The Goldman prize, awarded
      annually to grass-roots activists from six regions across the globe, is
      often termed the Nobel prize of the environmental movement. Each regional
      winner, or group, is awarded $125,000."

      [Excerpted from:
      http://www.enn.com/news/2003-04-15/s_3823.asp

      COMPOSTING TOILETS KEY TO GLOBAL SANITATION, SAY SCIENTISTS: 03/18/03,
      Fred Pearce, Kyoto: "Giving large sewer systems to communities in the
      developing world could be disastrous for them and their environments,
      sanitation scientists are telling the World Water Forum in Kyoto, Japan.
      Their advice flies in the face of United Nations targets to hook up more
      than a billion people to sewers in the next decade.

      Government ministers and water experts are meeting to hammer out plans for
      meeting the UN target of halving the number of people in the world who lack
      clean drinking water and modern sanitation by 2015. Allowing for population
      growth, that means connecting 400,000 people every day for the next 12
      years.

      But scientists at the forum say installing conventional sewer systems that
      empty into rivers could create a public health disaster, rather than
      solving one. Instead, they want to recycle sewage from poor villages and
      shanty towns so it can fertilise fields. "Conventional sewer systems are
      just not the right answer," said Bengt Johansson, of the Swedish
      International Development Agency. "They are very expensive; they pollute
      rivers; they use a lot of water for flushing that could be set aside for
      drinking; and they deprive farm soils of the nutrients in sewage."

      [Excerpted from:

      CITY IMPROVEMENT: PLANTING TREES: by Ross Atkin, CSMonitor, 04/16/03:
      "Over the past 15 years, the number of trees in many US cities has declined
      by about 30 percent, while the space covered by concrete and other solid
      surfaces has risen by 20 percent, says Mr. Moll [American Forests, a
      conservation group]. He estimates that to redress the imbalance,
      metropolitan areas need 634 million more trees.

      Trees are natural pollution-control devices. They absorb carbon dioxide (a
      byproduct of burning fossil fuels) and return oxygen to the air. Their
      leaves, branches, and and trunks help slow the runoff of storm water. They
      also provide sound buffering, shade, and measurably cooler temperatures on
      hot summer days, and breeding and roosting places for local and migratory
      birds, whose habitat has been disappearing. Research has shown that
      substantial increases in the number of city trees can reduce storm-water
      and pollution-control expenditures by millions of dollars."

      [Excerpted from the long and interesting article at:
      http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0416/p13s02-lihc.html

      [See also for a lot of info about the value of trees and determining such:
      http://www.americanforests.org

      *05: Articles: Compost History, TeleGarden, Green Roofs
      THE HISTORY OF COMPOSTING: "One of the earliest written references to
      compost use in agriculture appears on a set of clay tablets from the
      Akkadian Empire, nearly 4,500 years ago (2350 BCE). Mesopotamia is the
      region between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, in the modern-day country
      of Iraq. These two rivers created the Fertile Crescent, an area of rich
      abundance surrounded by deserts and mountains. About 10,000 yrs. ago, the
      people of this area began the agricultural revolution. Instead of hunting
      and gathering food, they domesticated plants and animals and began living
      in small villages where they tended their crops. Composting is mentioned by
      virtually every civilization since. The Romans, Egyptians and Greeks all
      practiced composting and there are references to composting in the Talmud,
      Bible and Koran.)"

      [Superb collection of information from L.A. County Dept. of Public Works.
      "Saving the Earth in Your Backyard." The above from the "backyard
      composting" link at:
      http://www.smartgardening.com/

      THE TELEGARDEN: "This tele-robotic installation allows [web] users to view
      and interact with a remote garden filled with living plants. Members can
      plant, water, and monitor the progress of seedlings via the tender
      movements of an industrial robot arm. Internet behavior might be
      characterized as "hunting and gathering''; our purpose is to consider the
      "post-nomadic'' community, where survival favors those who work together.

      Users participate in tending a living garden using a remote industrial
      robot to perform simple requests such as watering, planting and viewing the
      garden. Users are presented with a simple interface that displays the
      garden from a top view, the garden from a global composite view and a
      navigation and information view in the form of a robot schematic. By
      clicking on any of the images one commands the robot to move to a new
      absolute location or one relative to where they just were. The robot, upon
      completion of the move, will return a refreshed image of the garden."

      [A must see at:
      http://telegarden.aec.at/

      [History, stats, FAQ, bunch of info:
      http://telegarden.aec.at/cgi-bin/knapsack/html/info.html

      GREEN ROOFS: by Wayne Roberts: "... an unusual coalition of grassroots
      environmentalists, high-end roofing companies and top-down government
      agencies teamed up to deliver the first science-based and comprehensive
      evaluations of green roofs, and pronounced them a way cool way to save
      lives, energy, water, money and space.

      According to the computer models generated from the City Hall study,
      rooftop flower power can save building owners money on energy bills and
      maintenance while generating a host of free public health benefits to the
      city, and keeping an estimated 620,000 tonnes of global warming gases out
      of the picture.

      We now know that green roofs reduce energy use, thereby eliminating the
      fossil fuels and air pollution that come along with energy production, in
      two distinct ways.

      First and most obvious, the soil and plants add a layer of insulation at
      the top...

      Second and more surprising, the green roofs don't just act as passive
      insulation... They become a living machine, a breathing and sweating place
      that air conditions the entire city. They also extend the life of roofs by
      protecting the roof's covering from the sun's damaging UV rays and by
      evening out the temperature fluctuations that put building materials
      through so much wear, tear and stress.

      They store rainfall, keeping it out of the sewage system that gets flooded
      during moderate rains, forcing beaches to be closed during the summer.
      They also create space for food production in the city."

      [Excerpted from article published by City Farmer, Canada's Office of Urban
      Agriculture:
      http://www.cityfarmer.org/greenroofTO.html#roof

      *06: Humor: The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest
      "On April 1, 1957 the British news show, Panorama, broadcast a segment
      about a bumper spaghetti harvest in southern Switzerland. The success of
      the crop was attributed to an unusually mild winter. The audience heard
      Richard Dimbleby, the show's anchor, discussing the details of the
      spaghetti crop as they watched a rural Swiss family pulling pasta off
      spaghetti trees and placing it into baskets.

      "Another reason why this may be a bumper year lies in the virtual
      disappearance of the spaghetti weevil, the tiny creature whose depradations
      have caused much concern in the past."

      ... soon after the broadcast ended, the BBC began to receive hundreds of
      calls from puzzled viewers. Did spaghetti really grow on trees, they wanted
      to know. Others were eager to learn how they could grow their own spaghetti
      tree. To this the BBC reportedly replied that they should "place a sprig of
      spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best."

      [Very excerpted from:
      http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/spaghetti.html

      *07: Articles: Animal Products, Rendering, "Live" BSE Tests
      MAD COW/CJD - STAGGERING LIST OF PRODUCTS MADE FROM CATTLE: by Jeff Rense,
      12/24/00: "From anti-aging creams to surgical sutures to chocolate
      milkshakes and marshmallows...we have injected animal products from cattle,
      sheep, and hogs into nearly every corner of our lives. Behold... "

      - PRODUCTS FROM BLOOD: blood sausage, bone meal, cake mixes, deep-fry
      batters, egg substitute, gravy mixes, imitation seafood, pasta, whipped
      toppings and coffee whiteners.

      - PRODUCTS FROM HIDES and SKINS: sausage casings, gelatin, candies and
      confectionery, flavorings, foods, gelatin desserts, ice cream,
      marshmallows, mayonnaise, yogurt.

      [The amazing and long list also contains products from sheep and pigs:
      http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~carriea/MadCow/Products_Made_From_Cattle.htm

      THE DARK SIDE OF RECYCLING (RENDERING): "Published in the fall 1990 issue
      of Earth Island Journal, by Keith Woods. (Note: A warning to readers: this
      report is not for the squeamish.)

      Rendering is the process of cooking raw animal material to remove the
      moisture and fat. The rendering plant works like a giant kitchen. The
      cooker, or "chef", blends the raw product in order to maintain a certain
      ratio between the carcasses of pets, livestock, poultry waste and
      supermarket rejects.

      ... the recycled meat and bone meal is used as "a source of protein and
      other nutrients in the diets of poultry and swine and in pet foods, with
      lesser amounts used in the feed of cattle and sheep. Animal fat is also
      used in animal feeds as an energy source." Some product label names are:
      meat meal, meat by-products, poultry meal, poultry by-products, fish meal,
      fish oil, yellow grease, tallow, beef fat and chicken fat.

      The dead animals (the "raw") are accompanied by a whole menu of unwanted
      ingredients.... [pesticides, DDT, flea collars, Dursban, pharmaceuticals,
      heavy metals, plastic, and more]"

      [A very disturbing and long article:

      BIOMARKERS FOR DIAGNOSIS OF MAD COW DISEASE IN LIVE COWS: 04/03/02:
      "Proteome Sciences plc (Proteome Sciences) announced today that it has
      entered into a licensing and collaboration agreement with IDEXX
      Laboratories, Inc., for its Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE)
      biomarkers. The EU cattle population totaled 80 million in 2001. Experts
      estimate that the demand could grow to 30 million tests in the EU,
      projecting a future market size of 450m. These figures exclude any demand
      from the USA, which has an estimated 100 million cattle population.

      The global market for live animal testing for BSE using a simple blood test
      is expected to be much larger and IDEXX will use Proteome Sciences
      proprietary biomarkers to seek to develop highly sensitive blood assays for
      the testing of live animals. Current detection methods require brain tissue
      or spinal cord samples from slaughtered animals."

      [Full press release:
      http://www.proteome.co.uk/news/index.html

      *08: Article: The World's Oldest Dog: Vegan??
      08/29/02: "A border collie said to be 27 could make it into the Guinness
      Book of World Records as the world's oldest living dog. Bramble's owner
      Anne Heritage says she's still alert and active and goes for a walk four
      times a day near her home in Bridgwater, Somerset. The 43-year-old says
      she feeds her a vegan diet of rice, lentils and organic vegetables."

      [More at:
      http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_659722.html?menu=news.quirkies

      *09: Articles: Cranberries, Whole Grains, the Anti-Emeril
      CRANBERRY JUICE A COCKTAIL FOR THE HEART: by Janet Raloff: "Many
      plant-based foods, especially the colorful ones, contain large quantities
      of polyphenols. As antioxidants, these compounds quash the damage that
      natural oxidants can do in the body. Indeed, a large number of disorders
      associated with aging including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and
      several types of dementia have been linked to damage caused by a slow and
      unremitting onslaught of oxidants.

      In his latest study, [Chemist Joe] Vinson and his colleagues [found that
      drinking] cranberry juice three times a day over the course of a month
      increased all the volunteers' blood concentration of high-density
      lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol the so-called good cholesterol by 10 percent.
      However, epidemiological studies by others have correlated HDL-cholesterol
      increases of this magnitude with about a 40 percent drop in heart-disease
      risk, Vinson notes.

      Overall, fruits surpassed the veggies, "and cranberries had more
      antioxidants than any other fruit," Vinson observes. When the chemists
      investigated pure cranberry juice, they found its antioxidant punch
      exceeded by 50 percent the potency of its next closest juice competitor,
      grape juice."

      [More details on the above and related studies at:
      http://www.sciencenews.org/20030329/food.asp

      WHOLE-GRAIN DIET REDUCES DIABETES RISK: The Fiber Reduces The Body's Demand
      for Insulin: by Jeanie Lerche Davis, WebMD, 02/28/03: "Whole grains in
      your diet can lessen diabetes risk, according to a new study from Finland.

      The study puts teeth to a theory many nutritionists have promoted -- that a
      high-fiber diet composed of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables keeps
      obesity at bay. Obesity and lack of exercise are the top risk factors for
      type 2 diabetes.

      A diet high in whole grains -- specifically rye -- had greater impact on
      reducing risk of type 2 diabetes, reports lead author Jukka Montonen, who's
      with the National Public Health Institute in Helsinki. His study appears in
      the March issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

      A few studies have suggested a link between whole grains and reduced risk
      of type 2 diabetes, but there has been little concrete evidence until now,
      Montonen says."

      [The above excerpted from:
      http://my.webmd.com/content/article/61/67531.htm?z=1728_00000_1000_nb_04

      [Original study: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 03/01/03
      http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/77/3/622

      THE ANTI-EMERIL: by Ed Murrieta, The Examiner, 02/29/03: "The star of this
      rock 'n' roll cooking show [The Hippy Gourmet] is 49-year-old Bruce
      Brennan, a James Beard-meets-Jerry Garcia bear of a man whose program
      originates from a Victorian boarding house in the Haight-Ashbury District.
      Behind the heavy-lidded gaze, shaggy gray beard and mellow baritone of this
      Summer of Love DJ is a classically trained French chef who wants to feed
      the people.

      Each 30-minute show covers a side dish, main dish and dessert. Brennan's
      typical attire is an aloha shirt, denim shorts, sandals and wax-dappled
      talisman. His laid-back delivery includes instructions to "chunk it up" and
      announcements like, "This'll be awhile before it gets rippin'."

      Brennan promotes composting and recycling, and shows commune with food and
      nature: a vegan barbecue at an animal sanctuary, a wild-huckleberry hunt at
      the seashore, a sunset snack at the beach. Documentary-style segments
      spotlight nonprofit agencies, while mood-altering shots of waves and
      flowers are intercut with paisley graphics and psychedelic music. Every
      show ends with a "yummy shot" and a tribal-gathering meal.

      "The Hippy Gourmet's" culinary philosophy is easy, tasty and inexpensive.

      [Excerpted from:
      http://www.examiner.com/sf_eats/default.jsp?story=X0219HIPPYw

      *10: Resources: Urban & Container Gardening
      [A tremendous site for urban/home gardening information:
      http://www.smartgardening.com/

      [Guide to Container Gardening:
      http://www.gardenguides.com/TipsandTechniques/container.htm
      http://www.gardenguides.com/TipsandTechniques/container2.htm

      [Container Gardening Interactive Online Forum:
      http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/contain/

      [Designing a Container Garden:
      http://www.my-container-garden.com/

      [Vegetable Gardens in Containers:
      http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/container/container.html
      [Apartments Cater to Residential Gardening Article:
      http://www.homestore.com/HomeGarden/Gardening/Features/Gardens/Apartment.asp

      [Gardening on your Apartment Deck or Patio Links:
      http://apartments.about.com/cs/gardening/

      [Largest Community Garden Program in the USA:
      http://www.greenthumbnyc.org/

      [American Community Garden Association:
      http://www.communitygarden.org/

      [Extensive Resource on all types of Gardening:
      http://webgarden.osu.edu/

      [Minigardening (Growing Vegetables in Containers):
      http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VH032

      [Ecoroof Program: City of Portland Environmental Services:
      http://www.cleanrivers-pdx.org/clean_rivers/ecoroof.htm

      [Urban Ecology:
      http://www.urbanecology.org/

      [Organic Gardening Tips and Plants - How to:
      http://www.backyardgardener.com/organic/jan00.htm

      *11: Resources: Veg'n
      [Vegan Meat substitutes:
      http://www.vegweb.com/food/subs/

      [VeggieBoards! - Great online Interactive Boards:
      http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/

      [Vegan recipes free from animal products:
      http://www.vegancooking.com/

      [Tazarat Vegan Recipes:
      http://www.tazarat.com/recipe.asp

      [Over 4,000 recipes - Veg'n No/Low Fat:
      http://www.fatfree.com

      *12: Animal Rights 2003 West and East Coasts!
      WHAT: Animal Rights 2003 is the animal rights movement's annual national
      conference. This year it will be held on both the East and West coasts.
      AR2003 provides a forum for teaching skills, sharing knowledge, discussing
      strategies and tactics, networking, and "recharging our batteries." This
      conference will feature 120 presenters from every faction of the animal
      rights movement. There will be in ten Plenary Sessions, 100 Workshops, 50
      Campaign Reports, and 16 Rap Sessions. Other functions include Exhibits,
      Videos, Newcomer Orientation, Employment Clearinghouse, Group Workouts,
      Planning Meetings, Welcome and Networking Receptions, Awards Banquet, and
      the Animal Rights Hall of Fame.

      EAST
      When: June 27- July 1, 2003 (post-conference activities on July 2)
      Where: McLean VA (just outside Washington, D.C.)

      WEST
      When: Aug 1-5, 2003 (post-conference activities on Aug 6)
      Where: Los Angeles, CA

      Contact: info@...
      Website: http://www.animalrights2003.org

      *13: Donations to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      *Both Mooshoes and VeganCats will donate 5% of sales accessed through the
      MadCowboy Home Page to the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary.
      Check 'em out! Mooshoes sells much more than shoes, and VeganCats sells
      cruelty-free products for cats AND dogs!

      April 22: Spokane, Wash > Spokane Com. College - ARowan@...
      April 25: New Ashford, MA < Matt Kelly, 6PM - Berkshire Veggie Dinner
      peace@...

      May 16: Worthington, OH < Wellness Forum - Dr. Pamela Popper 614.841.7700
      May 17: SDA, OH
      May 25: Potomac, MD < Potomac SDA - Richard Gonzales - 301.441.2427
      May 26: Silver Spring, MD < 2:30 - 5:00pm - Potomac Adventist Book and
      Health Food Store - 12004 Cherry Hill Road. Contact: Paul Glenn -
      301.572.0700

      JUN 28 - JUL 01: AR2003 (Wash. DC)

      [More details and contact info at:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_SchedCA.000.html

      *15: Answer to Last Issue's Question
      What two leaders said the following?

      1) "It's exciting to have a real crisis on your hands, when you have spent
      half your political life dealing with humdrum issues like the environment."

      2) "I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs
      treat us as equals."

      Margaret Thatcher (1) referring to the Falklands Crisis, and Sir Winston
      Churchill (2)

      *16: Next Issue
      Next issue, more focus on factoids & nutrition, more transcripts, more pix,
      and more information!

      Also, answer to the question: who said the following?

      "It takes two to speak the truth--one to speak, and another to hear."

      and

      "Let us not underrate the value of a fact; it will one day flower in a
      truth."

      [Hint: transcendental]

      *17: Closing Thought(s)
      "Luck is the least of it. I think of the Earth as a living organism. The
      rocks, the air, the oceans, and all life are an inseparable system that
      functions to keep the planet livable. In fact, I now believe that life can
      exist only on a planetary scale. Can't have a planet with sparse life any
      more than you can have half a cat."

      - James Locklock (as quoted by Lawrence E. Joseph, "GAIA: The Growth of an
      Idea," p. 3. ISBN: 0-312-05866-7)

      "'Tis said that the views of nature held by any people determine all their
      institutions."

      - Ralph Waldo Emerson, English Traits