01_10-03: Mad Resolutions, Great Work, and 1,800 Recipes

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2003
      Howdy! Welcome to the 15th Mad Cowboy Newsletter.

      To kick off the New Year on a high note, Howard's composed his own personal
      New Year's Resolutions and provided them for us to review. He's also
      picked five of the many organizations that did great work last year that he
      feels deserve some special notice. Information and links have been
      provided for each as but a sampler of their many ongoing activities.

      In this issue of the Newsletter, you'll also learn about a greenhouse in
      Anarctica, see more pictures from the filming of the "Mad Cowboy Feature
      Documentary," realize that air pollution may alter human genes, read why
      the largest known salmon die-off occurred recently, where you can get
      online access to 1,800 vegan recipes from around the world, discover what
      veg cookbooks famous veg cookbook authors pick as their favorites, and know
      where to go online to download a just-released booklet for New and Aspiring

      As always, a special "hello" to our many new subscribers. This issue is a
      little larger than most will be, and normally we have more bits of humor
      and factoids (btw: check out the over 300 referenced factoids on the
      MadCowboy website), but the recognition of the aforementioned groups is an
      inspiring way to start the New Solar Orbit and hopefully y'all won't mind
      the extra bytes.

      Also, you can read past issues of the MadCowboy Newsletter by browsing over to:

      Best wishes to everyone for a productive, joyous, and veg*n New Year!

      Editor, MadCowboy Newsletter

      00: Howard's NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS
      01: Great Work in 2002: Center for Media & Democracy
      02: Great Work in 2002: FARM
      03: Great Work in 2002: Organic Consumers Alliance
      04: Great Work in 2002: PCRM
      05: Great Work in 2002: VegNews
      06: More Pix from filming the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      07: Articles: Health/Nutrition
      08: Article: Air Pollution May Alter Genes
      09: Article: A Greenhouse in Anarctica!
      10: Article: Salmon Die-off from Water Sent to Farmers
      11: Article: Veg Chefs Pick Favorite Veg Cookbooks
      12: Booklet: Guide for New/Aspiring Vegans
      13: Link: 1,800 Vegan Recipes from Around the World
      14: Howard's Schedule
      15: Donating to Making the Documentary
      16: Next Issue!
      17: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Howard's NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS
      December 29, 2002

      New year, a time to reflect on the past and plan for the future. If you
      are alive today, you have much to be thankful for. This time of the year
      always reminds me of the things I could have done better. I'm filled with
      the conviction to be a better human in the new year. This year I will kept
      track of my good intentions and I will grade myself next year.

      1. I'm going to practice the modified eleventh commandment, not to speak
      ill of a fellow plant eater. If I can get this practice to be universally
      accepted, we will take a giant step towards a better world.

      2. I'm going to try to be as good a person as my wife. I believe she
      married me as a reclamation project and it is high time I show her the
      fruit of her labor.

      3. I'm committed to enjoying food more and eating less. My plan is to look
      as good in the mirror as I have convinced myself that I now look. This may
      call for a new mirror or new glasses.

      4. I'm committed to never be the first person in a group to broach the
      subject of diet. I must learn to swallow words before they cross my lips.
      This may replace my reduced food intake.

      5. I hope to never criticize a person if I haven't been able to find
      something to praise them for. My criticism should only come after reviewing
      my past behavior and making sure I haven't been guilty of making the same
      mistake. If I have made the same mistake I should admit it before trying to
      correcting someone else.

      6. I plan to praise every animal, from birds to worms and all critters in
      between. Life without animals would be like life without love. True
      unconditional love comes from animals.

      7. I'm going to try to greet every event with a smile. I'm sure that
      there is a bright side to every event in the world if we look hard enough.
      I've been given much more to smile about than I have ever been burdened
      with that caused me to frown.

      8. I'm committed to giving folks a hand up whenever I have a chance. I
      will try to answer "yes" when asked and try to remember" no" is a two
      lettered word to be used as a last resort.

      9. I'm going to try to live as if I were living in a glass house. I will
      try to act better than I thought was possible yesterday.

      10. I'm committed to deal with life as if I were blind and had to recall
      the beauty of the earth. If I were on trial for doing good would there be
      enough evidence to convict me? If I died, would they say he loved too

      ---- Howard Lyman, aka, "The Mad Cowboy")

      [Also posted at:

      *01: Great Work in 2002: Center for Media & Democracy
      "Executive Director John Stauber, an investigative writer, public speaker
      and democracy activist, founded the Center for Media & Democracy in 1993.

      Since high school in the 1960s, he has worked with public interest,
      consumer, family farm, environmental and community organizations at the
      local, state and national level. He edits and writes for the Center's
      quarterly newsmagazine, PR Watch, and in collaboration with PR Watch Editor
      Sheldon Rampton he has co-authored three books, Toxic Sludge Is Good For
      You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry (1995); Mad Cow
      U.S.A.: Could the Nightmare Happen Here? (1997); and Trust Us, We're
      Experts: How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles With Your Future

      "The Center for Media & Democracy is a nonprofit, public interest
      organization funded by individuals and nonprofit foundations and dedicated
      to investigative reporting on the public relations industry. The Center
      serves citizens, journalists and researchers seeking to recognize and
      combat manipulative and misleading PR practices.

      Whether the issue is health, consumer safety, environmental preservation or
      democracy and world peace, citizens today find themselves confronted by a
      bewildering array of hired propagandists paid to convince the public that
      junk food is nutritious, pollution is harmless, and that what's good for
      big business and big government is good for the rest of us."

      "PR Watch editor Sheldon Rampton participated in December in the World
      Information Conference in Amsterdam. An interviewer captured his thoughts
      on some things that grassroots movements can learn from the PR industry."

      [For the full article:

      "The Weekly Spin is a free compendium of current news tips about public
      relations, propaganda and media spin, compiled by the staff of PR Watch "

      [Main website:

      [For the Weekly Spin of the Day e-mail:

      [Web-based Spin of the Day:

      [PR Watch Interactive Forum:

      *02: Great Work in 2002: FARM
      "Vegetarians in Paradise proudly presents its 24 Carrot Award to Alex
      Hershaft for launching and leading FARM. He has written numerous articles,
      has lectured, and taught seminars on animal agriculture, farm animal abuse,
      diet and health, and environmental conservation. Hershaft has played an
      active leadership role in the vegetarian movement since 1975."

      "VIP: What do you consider as FARM's most significant accomplishments?

      AH: Helping to launch the US animal rights movement, arranging 12 of the
      movement's national conferences, motivating and training dozens of movement
      activists, launching and sustaining the Great American Meatout and World
      Farm Animals Day (both now observed in all 50 states and two dozen
      countries), publishing some 5,000 letters to the editor promoting
      vegetarianism in US dailies, promoting vegetarianism in Third World."

      [For the full and fascinating interview:

      "FARM (Farm Animal Reform Movement) is a national, tax-exempt, educational
      organization advocating a plant-based diet and humane treatment of farmed
      animals through eight grassroots programs.

      Since 1981, FARM has launched eight national grassroots programs : World
      Farm Animals Day (1983), Great American Meatout (1985), Industry Watch
      (1988), CHOICE (1991), Letters From FARM, (1994), Sabina Fund (1997), and
      Feeding the World (1999). This reflects FARM's strategy of pursuing dietary
      and agricultural reforms on the national and local levels simultaneously.

      FARM also conducts movement-wide programs. Between 1981 and 1987 and again
      in 1997, 2000, 2002, and the upcoming AR2003 West Coast and AR2003 East
      Coast, FARM organized movement-wide conferences that turned hundreds of
      concerned individuals into effective animal rights advocates.

      [Very edited from: FARM (Farm Animal Reform Movement) Home

      "On March 20, thousands of caring people in all 50 US states and many
      countries will events will range from meatout walks, and a congressional
      reception to lectures, public dinners, cooking demos, food samplings, and
      information tables called 'steakouts.'

      [The current "Meatout2003" campaign:

      "ANIMAL RIGHTS 2003 West and East are dedicated to exposing and challenging
      the terror perpetrated every day against billions of animals. It is a
      forum for sharing motivation, knowledge, and contacts.

      [Edited from:

      [AR2003: Note: this site is still under re-construction and revisions for
      the upcoming West and East Coast conferences:

      [For over 1200 digital photographs of AR2002:

      "CHOICE (Consumers for Healthy Options In Childrens Education) was launched
      to promote a choice of wholesome plant-based meals and nutrition education
      in our nations schools.

      [Edited from:

      "On April 1, 1999, FARM announced establishment of the Sabina Fund to fund
      grassroots projects promoting a plant-based diet and publicizing the
      devastating impacts of animal agriculture. Since 1999, grants have been
      awarded to more than 50 grassroots organizations in the US and a dozen
      other countries."

      [The Sabrina Fund:

      *03: Great Work in 2002: Organic Consumers Alliance
      "Ronnie Cummins is National Director of the Organic Consumers Association
      (OCA), a non-profit, public interest organization dedicated to building a
      healthy, safe, and sustainable system of food production and consumption in
      the U.S. and worldwide.

      Cummins is also former coordinator of the Global Days of Action Against
      Genetic Engineering and editor of the electronic newsletter BioDemocracy
      News: News and Analysis on Genetic Engineering, Factory Farming, and

      From 1992-98 he served as a campaign director for the Foundation on
      Economic Trends in Washington, D.C. In 1998, Cummins organized the SOS
      (Save Organic Standards) Campaign, spearheading the largest consumer
      grassroots backlash against the US Department of Agriculture in recent
      history. He is also a member of the International Forum on Food and
      Agriculture, and a frequent lecturer, both in the US and abroad. Cummins
      has written numerous articles for the alternative press as well as being
      the author of a series of children's books. His book, Genetically
      Engineered Food: A Self-Defense Guide for Consumers is published by
      (Marlowe & Company 2000)."

      [Main website:

      "The OCA is a grassroots non-profit public interest organization which
      deals with crucial issues of food safety, industrial agriculture, genetic
      engineering, corporate accountability, and environmental sustainability. We
      are the only organization in the US focused exclusively on representing the
      views and interests of the nation's estimated ten million organic consumers.

      The Organic Consumers Association was formed in 1998 in the wake of the
      mass backlash by organic consumers against the U.S. Department of
      Agriculture's controversial proposed national regulations for organic food.

      Our political program is the Food Agenda 2000-2010: a three point platform
      calling for (1) a global moratorium on genetically engineered foods and
      crops; (2) a phase-out of the most dangerous industrial agriculture and
      factory farming practices; and (3) the conversion of American agriculture
      to at least 30% organic by the year 2010."

      [The above excerpted from:

      [For details on their great compaigns, some listed below:

      [Kraft Campaign:

      [Fair Trade/Starbucks

      [Supermarket Campaign:

      [For a detailed and comprehensive source of information/links on organics:

      [Quarterly newsletter:

      [Bi-monthly e-newsletter: "Organic News Tidbits With an Edge" & back issues:

      *04: Great Work in 2002: PCRM
      "Founded in 1985, the Physicians Committe for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
      is a non-profit organization supported by over 5,000 physicians and 100,000
      laypersons. PCRM programs combine the efforts of medical experts and
      grass-roots individuals.

      PCRM president Neal D. Barnard, M.D., is a popular speaker and the author
      of Foods That Fight Pain; Eat Right, Live Longer; Food for Life; and other
      books on preventive medicine. PCRM s advisory board includes 12 health
      professionals from a broad range of specialties.

      PCRM has led the way for reforms of federal nutrition policies. Our
      clinical research programs are breaking new ground in diabetes, cancer, and
      other serious conditions. The Cancer Prevention and Survival Fund has
      provided vital information to tens of thousands of people. The Gold Plan is
      a program for healthful eating for businesses,hospitals, and schools. The
      New Four Food Groups is PCRM s innovative proposal for a federal nutrition
      policy that puts a new priority on health. The program also includes an
      effective nutrition curriculum for schools. Our Saving Lives public service
      announcement series featured Dr. Henry Heimlich demonstrating the Heimlich
      Maneuver, as well as messages on heart disease and cancer prevention.

      We oppose unethical human experiments. We promote alternatives to animal
      research. We have worked to put a stop to gruesome experiments, such as the
      militarys cat-shooting studies, DEA narcotics experiments, and monkey
      self-mutilation projects. We also promote non-animal methods in medical

      We promote better medical care for disenfranchised groups, including
      minorities, women, persons with AIDS, and homeless persons. "

      [The above excerpted from:

      10/10/02: Wash., D.C.-Missippi, West Virginia and Tennessee top the list
      of unhealthy states, says PCRM. The group released its list of top 10
      unhealthiest states today, kicking off a month-long healthy eating
      promotion. As part of a multi-faceted education campaign, PCRM is alerting
      the citizens of these states about healthy eating options by sponsoring
      free samples of low-fat, vegetarian alternatives in supermarkets, airing
      public service ads, and offering each state government a nutrition

      [Full press release:

      12/18/02: Washington, D.C.-"To counter false claims disseminated by Tyson
      Foods about the supposed healthfulness and naturalness of its chicken
      products, PCRM is launching a major ad campaign this week. Tyson Foods,
      Inc., is the country's largest producer of poultry products; in 2001, it
      processed 5 million chickens per day.

      PCRM is filing a lawsuit today in California charging Tyson with engaging
      in deceptive advertising practices. In addition to faulting Tyson for
      pretending that its chicken is "all natural" despite the massive use of
      antibiotics and high levels of foodborne pathogens found in its products,
      the lawsuit argues that Tyson misleads the public by claiming that chicken
      is a heart-healthy food."

      [Full press release:

      10/14/02: Washington, D.C.-Federal regulations that mandate cow's milk in
      school lunches but disallow other calcium-rich beverages are archaic and
      discriminate against minorities, many of whom are lactose-intolerant, says

      The organization will file a petition with the USDA on October 15
      challenging a policy that prohibits schools from serving soymilk or other
      non-dairy beverages as part of a subsidized lunch unless a child brings a
      doctor's note saying he or she has a medical reason not to drink cow's

      PCRM won a lawsuit against the USDA in 2000 over the agency's concealing
      financial conflicts of interest among the members of one of its influential
      dietary advisory committees. Six out of 11 members of the committee were
      shown to have links with the meat, dairy, and egg industries.

      [Full press release:

      [Main website with other campaigns/programs info:

      [About PCRM, volunteering, jobs, internships:

      [Health, clinical research, controversies, issues, breaking news archive:

      ["Good Medicine" magazine:

      *05: Great Work in 2002: VegNews
      VEGNEWS: "North America's Vegan newspaper, providing up-to-date
      information on living a compassionate and health lifestyle." (from VegNews)

      "I met Colleen Holland and her partner Joseph Connelly at the Animal Rights
      2000 conference in July and was struck by their positivity and ambition.
      They were giving out copies of the first issue of their national paper
      VegNews, and I was very impressed with their work. I recently received
      their second issue, and I was even more impressed: inside you'll find
      interviews, restaurant reviews, upcoming events of interest to local
      vegetarian communities and the national one, and articles that profile the
      work of individual activists. VegNews is an important part of our growing
      movement, as it strives to synthesize and streamline our information and
      promote the message of vegetarianism. " (Marla Rose,

      [NOTE: according to a recent interview, the VegNews newspaper reaches some
      100,000 readers a month! The following is the table of contents to the
      October 2002 Issue of "VegNews":

      Pg. 09: An Open Letter to the Bioneers
      Davy Davidson's attempt to bring environmentalists and vegetarians together
      Pg. 10: New Beet
      A special environmental edition of our monthly news wrap
      Pg. 12: The Wasting of the West
      Mike Hudak tells about a plan to get ranchers off public lands
      Pg. 14: Naughty Nitrogen
      How the cheap gas is destroying our planet. Pamela Rice reports
      Pg. 15: Just Say "Label" to GE Foods
      Will Oregon become the first state to label GMOs? By Don Merrick

      Pg. 18: Circle of Life (Julia Butterfly Hill)
      Pg. 19: The St. Louis Vegetarian Society

      Thai One On: Phil Nawroth finds Thailand to his culinary liking

      Pg. 07: Meat the Press (by Mickey Z.)
      Pg. 26: Ask Joanne! (by Joanne Stepaniak)
      Pg. 28: Food (with Colleen Holland)
      Pg. 29: Quick & Easy Cooking (by Patti Breitman)
      Pg. 38: Dani's Diary (by Dani Bennenberg)

      Editorial (pg. 04)
      Sound Off/Letters (pg. 05)
      Edgy Veggies (pg. 06)
      Vegan Philosophy (pg. 06)
      Veg NEWS Bites (pg. 08)
      Subscription Form (pg. 20)
      City Travel Guide (pg. 22)
      Restaurant Review (pg. 23)
      International Calendar (pg. 24)
      Veg NEWS Picks (pg. 27)
      Theatre Review (pg. 30)
      Book Reviews (pg. 32, 33)
      Community Calendar (pg. 34)
      Classified (pg. 36)

      http://www.vegnews.com Email: editor@...

      "Vegnews is published monthly by the Vegan News Network. Subscriptions are
      $20/yr in the US, $30/yr in Canada, and $40/yr elsewhere. Vegnews accepts
      articles for publication."

      *06: More Pix from filming the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      [Volume 3 of 4, from Film Crew member Pat Fitzgerald, while in Europe]

      *07: ARTICLES: Health/Nutrition

      "Assemblyman Joe Nation is sponsoring a resolution to include vegetarian
      options on the daily menu of California's School Lunch Program.

      The state of Hawaii set precedent by passing a similar resolution last
      year. This effort is being sponsored by Project Healthy Beginnings. Soy
      Happy is helping the effort by spreading the word and generating support."

      [Links and More contact info at:

      Press Release from the Institute of Medicine (National Academies):
      Date: Jan. 7, 2003

      [Severely edited on all counts, showing edited snippets of the five that
      are directly diet-related]

      "To help bring about major improvements in health care quality and delivery
      for all Americans, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and
      other public and private stakeholders should focus on 20 priority areas.

      DIABETES - Diabetes is the fifth-leading cause of death in America.

      HYPERTENSION - This disease affects one in four adults in the United
      States, but nearly a third of people with high blood pressure do not know
      that they have it.

      ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE - This condition, also known as coronary heart
      disease, is the leading cause of death among adults in the United States.

      OBESITY (emerging area) - Each year more than 300,000 deaths can be
      attributed to obesity. The condition eventually could become the nation's
      single most preventable cause of premature death and disability.

      STROKE - This is the third-leading cause of death in the United States."

      [Full Press Release at:

      [Full Report at:

      *08: ARTICLE: Air Pollution May Alter Genes
      Tuesday, January 07, 2003 By David Suzuki

      "Six years ago, scientists found that herring gulls living near steel mills
      around the harbour in Hamilton, Ontario, tended to have high DNA mutation
      rates. These mutations were then transferred to the next generation of
      gulls, increasing the offspring's chances of developing genetic diseases
      like cancer and birth defects. Researchers suspected at the time that air
      pollution was causing the mutations, but they couldn't eliminate other
      factors, such as polluted water or contaminated fish, that also could have
      been responsible.

      Now other scientists have published a paper indicating that air pollution
      is indeed the likely culprit behind the mutations. What's more, there's no
      reason why human DNA should be immune from the same pollution. So our genes
      may also be damaged and inherited by our children. It's sobering to think
      that chemicals in our air affect us at a genetic level. Few studies have
      been done on this topic outside examinations of animals exposed to
      radioactive dust from nuclear accidents."

      [Full Article at:

      *09: ARTICLE: A Greenhouse in Anarctica
      "The greenhouse at McMurdo Station was built during the 1988-89 summer
      season by volunteer labor. It was expanded in 1996 to its current size of
      649 square feet and can generate a monthly average of 275 lbs of produce.
      Varieties include lettuce greens, spinach, arugula, chard, tomatoes,
      peppers, cucumbers, sprouts, and herbs. The harvest is ample enough to
      provide a winter community of up to 230 people a salad once every 4 days,
      plus lots of fresh herbs, veggies, and fruit for the galley chefs to
      incorporate into their menus."

      [More info and some neat pix at:

      *10: ARTICLE: Salmon Die-off from Water Sent to Farmers
      Posted on Sun, Jan. 05, 2003

      Study Faults Decision In Klamath River Region
      By Paul Rogers Mercury News

      "The dramatic die-off of 33,000 salmon last fall along the Klamath River in
      Northern California was directly caused by the Bush administration's
      decision to pump extra water from the river to farmers, biologists from the
      California Department of Fish and Game have concluded.

      The 63-page report concludes that fall chinook salmon, steelhead trout and
      endangered coho salmon died because the U.S. Interior Department diverted
      so much of the river's water to farming interests in 2002 that the fish
      crowded tightly as they returned to spawn from the ocean and fell prey to
      disease. The die-off killed 25 percent of the river's fall chinook run, the
      report found.

      "It's not rocket science: Fish need water,'' said Troy Fletcher, executive
      director of the Yurok Tribe, based in Klamath, Calif."

      [Full and detailed article at:

      *11: ARTICLE: Veg Chefs Pick Favorite Veg Cookbooks

      "Concord, N.H.- If you could have only three, which vegetarian cookbooks
      would sit on your shelf? But where to begin?

      So let's ask one of the people who started it all."

      [Full article by J.M. Hirsch , Associated Press, at:

      *12: BOOKLET: Guide for New/Aspiring Vegans
      "The Complete Guide for New and Aspiring Vegans"

      Viva!'s newest guide: "This 48 page booklet explains the who's (animals)
      and why's (planet & health) a person goes vegan. It describes what
      veganism is and provides a detailed product guide. Vegan Basics has ads
      from many well-known vegan companies along with those from rising stars.
      Information on cruelty-free products and non-leather items makes going
      vegan a cinch! Complete with Boo Hiss (animal products) and a Hurray (vegan
      items) glossary."

      [PDF file with $2 donation suggested. Get it at:

      *13: LINK: 1,800 Vegan Recipes from Around the World
      From the International Vegetarian Union:

      *14: Howard's Schedule
      FEB 01: Santa Clara CA < Veg News VEGFAIR
      http://www.vegfair.org/mainframe.html * Info@...

      FEB 02: Los Angeles, CA < 7th Day Adventists?
      FEB 04: Los Angeles, CA < 7th Day Adventists
      FEB 20: Portland Health Conf. (360) 817-5850
      FEB 25: DePaul University
      FEB 27: Illinois < 3ABN Studios - 2 hour LIVE broadcast

      MAR 15: Phoenix, AR < SDA church
      MAR 21-22: Minnesota

      April 9th Rhode Island University
      April 12th Ann Arbor?
      April 22nd Spokane Com. College
      April 26th Manchester CT?
      May 02nd Boise, Idaho
      May 03rd Sun Valley?
      May 16th Wellness Forum Worthington, OH

      *15: Donating to Making the Documentary
      *Both Mooshoes and VeganCats will donate 5% of sales accessed through the
      MadCowboy Home Page to the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary.
      Check 'em out! Mooshoes sells much more than shoes, and VeganCats sells
      cruelty-free products for cats AND dogs!

      *16: Next Issue
      Factoids! Articles! More pictures from the filming of the documentary,
      special interview with one of the founders of the five organizations cited
      above, and if room, maybe some more Howard transcripts.

      Also, the answer to the question: what are the names of the two guys who
      said the following?

      "Many people take no care of their money till they come nearly to the end
      of it, and others do just the same with their time"

      "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in

      [Hint: both their last names start with the same letter and have the same
      number of letters...]

      *18: Closing Thought(s)
      "It is more difficult to be an honourable man for a week than to be a hero
      for fifteen minutes." - Jules Renard, Journal, 1907

      "It all revolves around the fork." - Howard Lyman