11_15_02: Gentle Thanksgivings, Election Results, & Expanding Circles

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15 10:17 AM
      Howdy! Welcome to the 12th Issue of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter.

      This week's installment has a strong Animal Right's emphasis even as last
      week's issue was more focussed on Human Health.

      In this issue, Howard provides turkey for a special Thanksgiving, pix of
      the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary in Europe (v01, by Pat
      Fitzgerald) and Howard at the Univ. of Illinois, Gentle Thanksgivings
      (register yours!), Animal Rights-related Election Results of note, the
      "MobyLine," and "who's that piper?"

      Enjoy! And "welcome aboard" to new subscribers. You can read past issues
      of the Newsletter at:

      Best to y'all, Mark Editor, MadCowboy Newsletter

      00: Quotes
      01: Howard to speak at Turkey-Free® TKSG. '02
      02: Gentle Thanksgiving(s)!
      03: Pix of MC Doc Filming in Europe Pix v01 (PF)
      04: Pix of Howard at Univ. of Illinois
      05: '02 Election AR Issue: FL: Pig Gestation Crates
      06: '02 Election AR Issue: OK: Cockfighting
      07: '02 Election AR Issue: AK: Animal Cruelty Felonies
      08: '02 Election AR Issue: AZ: Greyhounds/Gambling
      09: '02 Election AR Issue: GA: Sterilization License Plates
      10: Summary Article on "Nonhuman Rights"
      11: TKSG Msg @ "MobyLine"
      12: Moby's Essay on "Why I'm a Vegan"
      13: Answers to Last Issue's Questions
      14: Howard's Schedule
      15: Donating to Making the Documentary
      16: Next Week
      17: Closing Thought(s)

      *00: Quotes
      "WHEN I DECIDED TO BECOME A VEGETARIAN... I could hardly wait to share that
      with my friends and family. I was even considering sharing it with my
      mother-in-law. I invited her for Thanksgiving dinner. I said to her that
      turkey would be available for her. My mother-in-law came into the house,
      went to the oven and to the refrigerator: no turkey. She felt I had let
      her down. I took her to the back yard where I had a live turkey. I told
      her that if she wanted turkey for dinner she would have to kill it herself.
      That turkey survived. Even on that occasion I learned not to be angry.

      Therefore, if we want to change the world, we must do it with the full
      cooperation of others, that is with a smile on our faces. We need to sew
      the seed by becoming ambassadors of information.

      We have the opportunity to be better equipped to share that information
      about vegetarianism with our families, our friends and yes, even our
      mothers-in-law: we are winning. Our main job is not to turn them into
      vegans, but to get those carnivores out there to understand that every bite
      of meat not taken all over the world means greater opportunities for our
      children and our grandchildren.

      It ends up with more animals living, so let's do it with a smile on our
      face. And when somebody walks up to you and says, "Are you one of those V
      people?" you look at them, smile and say, "You'd better believe it! And I
      did it because it's good for me, it's good for the animals, it's good for
      the environment and - most of all - it guarantees a brighter future for the
      generations to come."

      Howard (speaking as President of the IVU at the Sixth European Vegetarian
      Congress, Bussolengo, Italy, Sept. 21 -26, 1997: full speech at:

      *01: Howard to speak at Turkey-Free® TKSG. '02

      Dear Friends of Healthy Living: we wanted to remind you that the Chicago
      Vegetarian Society's biggest event of the year the Turkey-Free®
      Thanksgiving Dinner is taking place on Sunday, November 24th at the elegant
      Chicago Hilton and Towers.

      Join us for the scrumptious veg reception, traditional holiday meal, silent
      auction, amazing guest speaker, exhibits and entertainment. Our featured
      speaker is Howard Lyman, the best selling author of Mad Cowboy - cattle
      rancher who will not eat meat.

      The delicious menu of traditional holiday fare* followed by luscious vegan
      desserts will be prepared by Chef Ron Pickarski, the Culinary Gold Medal
      Winner and first professional vegetarian chef to be certified as an
      Executive Chef by the American Culinary Federation. To reserve your
      tickets either call us at 312.420.VEGI or visit our brand new commerce
      enabled Web site at:

      Thank you. We look forward to seeing you, your family and friends.

      Sincerely, The Chicago Vegetarian Society Board of Directors

      Menu created by: Chef Ron Pickarski, Gold medal winner , 1996 International
      Culinary Olympics
      (Editor: See Ron's Website: http://www.eco-cuisine.com/ron.htm)

      The "Veg" Reception 4 to 5 p.m. o'clock
      Dinner served at 5 p.m.
      Fresh Organic Field Greens w/ Pate Francais dressed w/ cranberry port
      Thanksgiving Day Tofu w/ roasted chestnut dressing and caramelized veloute,
      Seitan ala Normandy, Whipped Gold & Garnet Potatoes, Cranberry Chantilly,
      served plated
      Sunburst Squash, Brussel Sprouts w/miso glaze, Whole Grain Rolls w/herbed
      margarine, Cider & beverages, served family style
      Creamy Mocha Vegan Brownies, Organic Fruit Compote, Roasted Hazelnut Torte
      w/Cranberry Confit, Organic Coffee and Herbal Tea, served after dinner

      Open Cash Bar * Chicago Hilton and Towers * 720 South Michigan Ave,

      *02: Gentle Thanksgiving(s)!

      Be part of our community this holiday and help our local and national media
      campaign by showing your support.

      All it takes is a minute to register your dinner on-line:

      Let's show everyone that Thanksgiving is a celebration of life that does
      not require the cruel and unnecessary slaughter of 40-50 million innocent,
      feeling turkeys.

      For more information on Gentle Thanksgiving (including other event
      possibilities), please visit:

      or call 1 - 888 FARMUSA.

      Thank you for being part of the solution!

      Sincerely, Dawn Moncrief, Gentle Thanksgiving 2002"

      *03: Pix of MC Doc Filming in Europe Pix v01 (PF)
      FIRST OF 3 SETS OF PHOTOGRAPHS by Pat Fitzgerald of the Mad Cowboy Feature
      Documentary Crew while filiming in Europe (August 2002):

      *04: Pix of Howard at Univ. of Illinois

      11/06/02: By Lauren Traut , The Daily Illini

      A robust, middle-aged man stood in front of a full Allen Hall Main Lounge
      at 7 p.m. Tuesday, hoping to save the world: "One Bite at a Time." A
      fourth-generation farmer, Howard Lyman spoke to audiences about alternative
      diets. The presentation posed solutions to the consumption of meat. It
      was sponsored by Students Improving the Lives of Animals and co-sponsored
      by other groups including the Sierra Club, Illinois Student Environmental
      Network and the Campus Vegetarian Society."

      (Full article:
      (Editor: an independent college newspaper))

      Students for Improving the Lives of Animals:

      Here's some pictures taken from Howard's digital camera during the above visit:

      *05: '02 Election AR Issue: FL: Pig Gestation Crates
      VOTE (see issue #51) amending the state's constitution. The ban prohibits
      pregnant pigs from being kept in enclosures that are too small for them to
      turn around in. Florida is the first state to put any limitation on the
      intensive confinement of farmed animals. About 64% of the country's 80,000
      pig operations use the crates. (In September, more than 900,000 sows gave
      birth in the U.S.) Of Florida's 10 commercial pig operations, only 2 use
      the crates and one is reportedly going out of business. Advocates hope the
      ban will prevent large-scale pig operations from opening in Florida, and
      that other states will follow suit. An attempt to ban gestation stalls in
      Oregon earlier this year failed to obtain enough signatures to make it onto
      the ballot."

      (from: http://www.farmedanimal.net/Newsletters/Newsletter92.htm)

      (Editor: Howard was most interested in this issue (a full 15 minute 3ABN
      segment was devoted to the topic), not only from the AR standpoint, but
      from the process of citizens identifying a problem, organizing, getting
      signatures, and getting their issue on the ballot. He considers this an
      important example of how grassroots efforts can effect change.)

      "July 29, 2000, Saturday 7 PM. Dining Out at Cantina Dos Amigos (Mexican
      Cuisine), 1924 Hwy. A1A, Indian Harbour Beach (321)777-6499. Reservations
      required. Contact Barbara at 242-4647 or goveg@... to reserve a
      spot. After dinner, Wayne Pacelle, Senior-Vice President of the Humane
      Society of the United States (HSUS) and Gene Bauston, founder and owner of
      Farm Sanctuary will speak on behalf of factory farmed pigs in Florida.
      Their purpose is to get pig gestation crates banned from Florida factory
      farms. They will inform us about a statewide ballot initiative to allow
      voters to decide the issue of whether it is appropriate to keep pregnant
      pigs in these crates for the bulk of their lives. Pig gestation crates are
      small cement stalls currently used in today's factory farms to confine pigs
      allowing mass production with barely enough room to stand up and no room to
      turn around. These crates are extremely cruel and inhumane depriving pigs
      of performing natural behaviors that they would normally perform when free.
      We need volunteers to collect signatures to get this measure on the ballot.
      Hog farms are limited in Florida, however it's growing popularity has made
      Florida the number one choice in halting hog farms by introducing this new
      legislation. If this campaign is successful, Florida will have set a
      precedent for factory farm sows. "

      (From: http://spacecoast.earthsave.org/archives/july-00.htm)

      *06: '02 Election AR Issue OK: Cockfighting

      PRACTICE OF COCKFIGHTING by approving State Question 687 in a vote of 56.2%
      to 43.8%. Cockfighters frequently drug birds to heighten their aggression,
      strap knives or ice-pick-like gaffs to their legs, and place them in a pit
      to fight to injury or death-all for amusement and illegal wagering of
      handlers and spectators. The knives and gaffs gouge eyes, puncture lungs,
      and inflict other grievous wounds. Passage of the law makes Oklahoma the
      forty-eighth state to ban cockfighting, which the American Veterinary
      Medical Association opposes as inhumane. This gruesome activity has no
      place in a society committed to basic anticruelty principles.

      Citizens gathered signatures in the fall of 1999 to place S.Q. 687 on the
      statewide ballot for a vote of the people. Cockfighters spent hundreds of
      thousands of dollars on legal action to prevent placement of the measure on
      the ballot. In early 2002, the Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled unanimously
      that the initiative petition to ban cockfighting met all of the standards
      for ballot placement. S.Q. 687 was supported by humane advocates, religious
      organizations, law enforcement agencies, the Tulsa World, and a diverse
      group of other groups, newspapers, and individuals. "

      (check out this link for the HSUS position statement, Myths and Facts about
      Cockfighting, and more:
      http://www.hsus.org/ace/14670 )

      (Editor: Cockfighting was illegal in Oklahoma until 1963, when a judge
      ruled that chickens are not animals and therefore unprotected by
      anticruelty laws. (from: U.S. News & World Report, 6 December 1999))

      *07: '02 Election AR Issue: AK: Animal Cruelty Felonies
      seeks to raise the penalty for extreme acts of animal cruelty from a Class
      A misdemeanor to a Class D felony. The Act also seeks to strengthen the
      existing animal fighting law to include the barbaric practice of

      The Humane Society of the United States, the nation's largest animal
      protection organization, strongly endorses "The Arkansas Animal Cruelty
      Act" and urges Arkansans to vote "Yes" on Initiated Act 1. This citizen
      initiative-placed on the ballot after 89,000 Arkansans signed a petition in
      support of the measure-seeks to amend the existing Arkansas animal cruelty
      statute by providing felony penalties for the most extreme acts of animal
      abuse. The initiative also seeks to amend the Arkansas unlawful dogfighting
      statute by extending the existing felony and misdemeanor penalties to apply
      to fighting birds. The measure does not apply to hunting, common
      agricultural practices, or other currently legal activities involving the
      use of animals. The only new criminal activities relate to
      cockfighting-Initiated Act 1 makes it illegal to train or possess birds for
      fighting; buy, possess or sell knives or gaffs designed for cockfights; be
      a spectator at a cockfight; or use one's property to stage an animal fight.

      (From: http://www.hsus.org/ace/11636)

      The Act was NOT passed.....

      *08: '02 Election AR Issue: AZ: Greyhounds/Gambling

      From the E-MAIL ALERT that people could copy from the website and send:

      "The Arizona racing industry has qualified a ballot initiative, Proposition
      201, for the November 5, 2002 ballot to legalize slot machines at dog and
      horse tracks. To keep the cruel greyhound industry from reaping a windfall
      in profits, please vote NO on Proposition 201.

      Greyhound is racing cruel and inhumane. Each year thousands of greyhounds
      are killed nationwide when they are no longer profitable at the racetrack.
      While they are racing, greyhounds are caged for up to 22 hours each day and
      are often infested with fleas, ticks and internal parasites. Many
      greyhounds suffer career and life-ending injuries while racing. In Arizona,
      many racing dogs don't leave the track alive after the last race of the
      night. According to public records, track veterinarians routinely euthanize
      greyhounds, some with only minor injuries.he Arizona racing industry has
      qualified a ballot initiative, Proposition 201, for the November 5, 2002
      ballot to legalize slot machines at dog and horse tracks. To keep the cruel
      greyhound industry from reaping a windfall in profits, please vote NO on
      Proposition 201.

      If Proposition 201 passes, dog tracks that have been closed for many years
      will reopen. If Proposition 201 passes on Nov. 5, two long-closed tracks in
      Black Canyon City and Yuma will reopen for live racing. This will create a
      breeding frenzy to supply those tracks and more greyhounds will suffer and
      die as a result. The numbers of "retired" greyhounds coming off the Apache,
      Phoenix and Tucson tracks already far exceed the number of homes available
      in the major metropolitan areas of the state. Reopening the Yuma track in
      particular would be a death sentence for many greyhounds. "

      (From: http://www.greyhoundcentral.org/alert.html)

      *09: '02 Election AR Issue: GA: Sterilization License Plates
      "WITH A VOTE OF 71% TO 29%, GEORGIA PASSED AMENDMENT 6, which will allow
      the creation of an animal population control program in Georgia and the
      issuance of specially designed license plates to fund the program.

      Across Georgia every year, tens of thousands of unwanted animals are
      euthanized in shelters, hit by cars, or die slow deaths from starvation or
      disease. The passage of Amendment 6 will for the first time ensure that
      funds collected from the sale of the "animal-friendly" license plates are
      set aside solely to help provide low-cost sterilization of dogs and cats
      and also to educate the public about the importance of sterilization.

      On behalf of Georgia's dogs and cats, thank you so much for your help! "

      (From: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=lobby_ga_licenseplates)

      *10: Summary Article on "Nonhuman Rights"
      "Florida voters will decide in November whether to amend the state's
      constitution to protect pigs.

      It's an unorthodox proposal, but proponents are deadly serious. Nearly a
      half-million Floridians signed petitions to get the measure on the ballot.

      The amendment would combat so-called "factory farms," which confine
      thousands of pigs to cages so small that the animals cannot turn around.
      The measure would prohibit farmers from caging pregnant sows in this way,
      discouraging industrial-scale hog farms from setting up shop in the state.
      Voters will consider animal protections in other states as well. While
      Floridians vote on hogs, Oklahomans will decide whether to ban
      cockfighting, and Arkansas voters will consider making some forms of animal
      cruelty a felony.

      Across the Atlantic, Germany amended its national constitution this year to
      protect "the natural foundations of life" for animals as well as people.
      Switzerland adopted a constitutional amendment in 1992 acknowledging
      animals as "beings" rather than things. "

      (From the comprehensive article at:

      *11: TKSG Msg @ "MobyLine"

      Reuters Nov. 6, 2002 06:14 PM: LOS ANGELES - "When it comes to animal
      rights, electronica-pop star Moby is talking turkey.

      In a recorded telephone message, the 37-year-old singer, a vegan, is urging
      people to call Butterball turkey's recipe hotline and tell the company,
      "There is no proper way to kill and cook these beautiful birds." "I've
      been a vegan since I was 21. I decided then that there was enough suffering
      in the world. I didn't want to be responsible for the suffering of
      animals," said Moby.

      Moby's message will run until January 1, according to PETA, which claims
      that 40 million turkeys raised on farms for Thanksgiving alone live in
      filth and misery. "

      (Full article:

      *12: Moby's Essay on "Why I'm a Vegan"
      "1) I love animals, and I believe that a vegan diet causes less suffering
      than a diet centered around animal products.

      2) Animals are sentient creatures with their own wills, and it seems wrong
      to force our will onto another creature just because we're able to.

      3) A great deal of medical evidence points to the fact that a diet centered
      around animal products is terrible for you. Animal product based diets have
      been repeatedly proven to cause and exacerbate cancer, heart disease,
      obesity, impotence, diabetes, etc."

      (For the full essay:

      *13: Answers to Last Issue's Questions!
      1) WHO'S THIS DUDE? and aside from being filmed, how else did he help the
      fliming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary?

      The bearded piper is Chick Allan, who's donated a cd-rom of his group's
      music for possible use in the soundtrack of the Mad Cowboy Feature

      Dr. Bruno Oesch - Chairman of the Board of "Prionics." He worked with Dr.
      Stanley Prusiner (winner of the 1997 Nobel Prize for Medicene for research
      on "prions" See:
      and also check out the link about Prions as a "once heretical" theory)

      (Dr. Oesch's bio: http://www.prionics.ch/prionics-e.htm )

      "Prionics AG is a high-tech company in the biotechnology industry. Prionics
      AG is the world leader in fast reliable BSE tests and has evolved into a
      competence centre on the so-called prion diseases such as BSE and CJD. "

      http://www.prionics.ch/prionics-e.htm )

      *14: Howard's Schedule
      TUE. NOV 19: ITHACA, NEW YORK < 2:55pm to 410pm - Cornell University-
      E-mail: tcc1@...

      SUN. NOV 24: CHICAGO, ILLINOIS < "Turkey-Free Thanksgiving" - Chicago
      Vegetarian Society http://www.chicagovegetariansoc.org

      SAT. DEC 03: ARCADIA, CA < 7th Day Adventist's Church * 100 W Duarte Rd.,
      Arcadia, free. Info: marr@... 818-509-1255

      WED DEC 04: CLAREMONT, CA < 8pm - Pomona College, Scripps Humanities Bldg,
      free. Info: marr@... 818-509-1255

      SAT DEC 07: SANTA MONICA, CA < 7pm - EarthSave LA's Holiday party, 116 Pico
      Blvd. $12/person. $10 for EarthSave members. Vegan food sampling. Info:
      LA@... 310-358-6044

      *15: Donating to Making the Documentary
      MadCowboy Home Page to the filming of the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary.
      Check 'em out! Mooshoes sells much more than shoes, and VeganCats sells
      cruelty-free products for cats AND dogs!

      *16: NEXT WEEK
      1) How are the Indigo Girls and Howard connected?
      2) What fruit was developed in Japan in 1962 and is one of Howard's favorites?
      3) Howard the Turkey???

      *17: Closing Thought(s)
      "In an earlier stage of our development most human groups held to a tribal
      ethic. Members of the tribe were protected, but people of other tribes
      could be robbed or killed as one pleased. Gradually the circle of
      protection expanded, but as recently as 150 years ago we did not include
      blacks. So African human beings could be captured, shipped to America and
      sold. In Australia white settlers regarded Aborigines as a pest and hunted
      them down, much as kangaroos are hunted down today. Just as we have
      progressed beyond the blatantly racist ethic of the era of slavery and
      colonialism, so we must now progress beyond the speciesist ethic of the era
      of factory farming, of the use of animals as mere research tools, of
      whaling, seal hunting, kangaroo slaughter and the destruction of
      wilderness. We must take the final step in expanding the circle of
      ethics." -- Pete Singer

      (from a great web page of AR-related quotes:
      http://www.quotegarden.com/a-rights.html )