10_10_02: World's Worst Vegetarian, Lunch as Weapons, Zappa, and Salsa

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2002
      HOWDY!! Welcome to Issue No. 8 of the MadCowboy Newsletter!

      Herein, among other things, you'll learn about the "World's Worst
      Vegetarian," the History of Salsa (food product, not dance), lunchs as
      "Weapons of Mass Destruction," why you shouldn't eat blubber these days,
      more meat recalls, factoids on Heart Disease of note (27 have been added to
      the Website!), results of a vegan survey, and why "Rattling the Cage" is in
      a intriguing book.

      Also, there's new pix from Howard's camera while filming in Europe and
      taping the 3ABN broadcasts.

      Best to y'all, Mark (did I mention the over 700 salsa recipes??)

      Editor, MadCowboy e-Newsletter, Webmaster@...

      New subscribers, you can read back issues at:

      *TABLE OF CONTENTS:
      01: Quotes of Note
      02: Mad Cowboy Documentary Europe v03 Pix
      03: 3ABN Pix from Howard During Filming
      04: The Earth Policy Reader
      05: MC WebSite Factoids Update
      06: Howard and Salsa
      07: History of Tomatoes and of Salsa
      08: Over 700 Salsa Recipes
      09: ARTICLES: Food Borne Diseases
      10: ARTICLES: Veg'nism
      11: ARTICLES: The Environment
      12: ARTICLES: Human Health
      13: ARTICLES: Animal Rights
      14: Answers to Questions Posed Last Issue
      15: Closing Thoughts/Quotes
      16: Howard's Speaking Dates: October
      17: Next Week
      18: Links of Note

      *01: Quotes of Note
      HOWARD:

      "In 1990, I was well over 300 pounds. My blood pressure was sky high. My
      cholesterol was over 300. I'd sit down and have lunch and my nose would
      bleed. I'm not a Rhodes scholar but I knew I was in trouble. I knew I had
      to change my diet but I'd rather be caught riding a stolen horse than
      admitting to someone that I was a vegetarian.

      In 1990 I became the world's worst vegetarian. No meat. My diet was lettuce
      and dairy products. For a year that was my diet. I lost some weight. My
      blood pressure came down slightly. My cholesterol came down slightly. I
      thought, "damn if I could do that being the world's worst vegetarian just
      think what I could do if I became vegan." And since becoming vegan I've
      lost 130 pounds. MY blood pressure is normal. My cholesterol has dropped
      from 300 to 135. I saved my life by changing my diet.

      <snip> "...I was convinced that the fork was the most dangerous weapon in
      mankind's arsenal."

      (An Interview with Howard Lyman:
      http://www.veganstreet.com/community/lyman.html)

      *"NUMBER ONE KILLER OF AMERICANS: HEART DISEASE."
      (American Heart Association, Heart Attack and Angina Statistics, 1999)

      *"SINGLE GREATEST RISK FACTOR FOR HEART DISEASE: HIGH BLOOD CHOLESTEROL
      LEVEL."
      Roberts, William, "Artherosclerotic Risk Factors - Are there ten or is
      there only one?" American Journal of Cardiology 1989;64:552)

      *"WE'VE NEVER HAD A HEART ATTACK IN FRAMINGHAM IN 35 YEARS IN ANYONE WHO
      HAD A CHOLESTEROL UNDER 150."
      (William Castelli, M.D., Director, Framingham Health Study, the longest
      running study of diet and heart disease in world medical history)

      *"AVERAGE CHOLESTEROL LEVEL IN THE UNITED STATES: 210"
      (McDougall, John, The McDougall Program for a Healthy Heart, Dutton, NY NY,
      1996, pg. 134)

      *"AVERAGE CHOLESTEROL LEVEL OF U.S. VEGETARIANS: 161"
      (McDougall, John, The McDougall Program for a Healthy Heart, Dutton, NY NY,
      1996, pg. 66-7)

      *"AVERAGE CHOLESTEROL LEVEL OF U.S. VEGANS: 133"
      (McDougall, John, The McDougall Program for a Healthy Heart, Dutton, NY NY,
      1996, pg. 66-7)

      *"INTAKE OF CHOLESTEROL FOR VEGANS: ZERO"
      (Messina, Mark, and Messina, Virginia, The Dietician's Guide To Vegetarian
      Diets: Issues and Applications, Aspen Publishers, Gaithersburg, Maryland,
      1996, pg. 18)

      *02: Mad Cowboy Documentary Europe v03
      Here it is! Volume 3 of 3 of digital pictures from Howard's camera during
      filming of the "Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary" film in Europe. Enjoy!
      Some 400 photographs from Pat Fitzgerald (of the film crew) during filming
      in the USA and Europe will be posted soon in similiar volumes.

      Here's a direct link bypassing the MadCowboy Website interface:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/10_05_02_MCDocEuro_v03/index.html

      General Documentary Info/Photos Link:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_BookDOC.000.html

      *03: 3ABN Pix from Howard During Filming
      Howard took his camera with him during the filming of the 25 fifteen minute
      segments on "The Environment" for later broadcast on satellite TV to
      potentially 1/6th the world.

      http://www.madcowboy.com/10_09_02_HL_3ABN_Photos/index.html

      (a Newletter Special - no link on the MC website yet for the above)

      *04: The Earth Policy Reader
      by Lester R. Brown, Janet Larsen, & Bernie Fischlowitz-Roberts
      (excerpts from the 10/07/02 Press Release):

      "If we have learned anything over the past year, it is that accounting
      systems that do not tell the truth can be costly," said Lester Brown,
      senior author of The Earth Policy Reader. "Faulty accounting systems have
      driven some of the world's largest corporations into bankruptcy, costing
      millions of people their lifetime savings, retirement income, and jobs,"
      said Brown, President of the Earth Policy Institute, a Washington,
      D.C.-based environmental research organization.

      In The Earth Policy Reader, coauthored with Janet Larsen and Bernie
      Fischlowitz-Roberts, Brown says the global economic accounting system is
      misleading us too, but with potentially more serious consequences. Economic
      prosperity is achieved in part by running up ecological deficits that do
      not show up on the books. Some of the record economic prosperity of recent
      decades has come from overplowing land, overfishing oceanic fisheries,
      overgrazing rangelands, overcutting forests, and overpumping aquifers.

      At some point, these expanding ecological deficits begin to reinforce each
      other."
      http://http://www.earth-policy.org

      (MANY THANKS to Bernie for getting us advance copies for review and use in
      preparing for the 3ABN Environment segments taping!)

      *05: MC WebSite Factoids Update
      There are now over 250 referenced factoids on the MadCowboy website
      available for anyone to use. 27 new factoids (Heart Disease) have been
      added this week. The following is a current tally, with a direct link to
      each factoid area of interest.

      MC AND FB DISEASE: 45
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsMC.000.html

      VEGETARIANISM: 33
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsVEG.000.html

      ENVIRONMENT: 52
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsVEG.000.html

      - Air (Acid Rain): 2
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsENV.000.html#AcidRain

      - Air (Global Warming): 17
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsENV.000.html#GlobalWarming

      - Land (Forests): 8
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsENV.000.html#FORESTS

      - Water: 15
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsENV.000.html#WATER

      - Species Extinction: 4
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsENV.000.html#SpeciesExtinction

      HUMAN HEALTH: 35
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsHH.000.html

      - Cancer (General): 9
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsHH.000.html#CancerGeneral

      - Children: 6
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsHH.000.html#Children

      - Heart Disease: 27
      http://www.madcowboy.com/1_FactsHH.000.html#HEARTDISEASE

      - Lung Cancer: 10
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsHH.000.html#lungcancer

      - Obesity: 10
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsHH.000.html#Obesity

      ANIMAL RIGHTS: 62

      - General: 13
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsAR.000.html#General

      - Chicken: 6
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsAR.000.html#Chickens

      - Cows: 10
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsAR.000.html#Cows

      - Pigs: 3
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsAR.000.html#Pigs

      - Fish: 22
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsAR.000.html#FISH

      - Animal Factories: 8
      http://www.madcowboy.com/01_FactsAR.000.html#animalfactories

      *06: Howard and Salsa
      Mr. Lyman is fond of telling a story about how he once was with a bunch of
      friends at a pizza restaurant, and asked for some large vegan pizzas with
      salsa on top. He was told they didnt have any salsa, to which Howard
      promptly took out several bills, gave them to the waiter, and asked him to
      go to a nearby store and buy enough salsa for the pizzas.

      Howard will often buy organic pizza shells (when having to cook for
      himself....), lather them with organic salsa, and cook them in the oven.

      It is often thought that Howard will eat anything (vegan) with salsa on it.

      *07: History of Tomatoes and of Salsa

      *HISTORY OF THE TOMATO:
      "The tomato, like its relative the potato, has its origin in South America.
      It was domesticated in Mexico and its name is derived from the Aztec
      "tomatl".

      Spanish explorers introduced the tomato to Europe in the 1600's where it
      was embraced by Spaniards and Italians. Northern Europeans suspected the
      "wolf peach" was poisonous and only grew it for decoration, though some
      felt it was an aphrodisiac and began calling it "love apple".

      The tomato arrived in America in the late 1700's along with all of the
      myths surrounding it. Adventuresome gardeners, like Thomas Jefferson,
      helped it gain in popularity. By 1835, tomatoes were widely eaten.

      Though botanically a fruit, in 1893 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the tomato
      was a vegetable (NIX v. HEDDEN, 149 U.S. 304). The import tax placed on
      vegetables (but not fruits) protected U.S. tomato growers from foreign
      markets. "
      http://www.barc.usda.gov/psi/vl/tomatoes

      *SUPREME COURT RULING ON TOMATOES - MAY 10TH, 1893 (excerpt):
      "The plaintiff's counsel then read in evidence from the same dictionaries
      the definitions of the word 'tomato.' [149 U.S. 304, 306] The defendant's
      counsel then read in evidence from Webster's Dictionary the definitions of
      the words 'pea,' 'egg plant,' 'cucumber,' 'squash,' and 'pepper.'

      The plaintiff then read in evidence from Webster's and Worcester's
      dictionaries the definitions of 'potato,' 'turnip,' 'parsnip,'
      'cauliflower,' 'cabbage,' 'carrot,' and 'bean.'

      No other evidence was offered by either party."
      http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&court=US&case=/us/
      149/304.html

      *HISTORY OF SALSA:
      (by Elaine Knehr, excerpted): "Americans might have only recently begun
      their love affair with salsa, but the condiment's roots can be traced to
      ancient times, extending as far back as the Aztec civilization.

      "Salsa" translates literally as "sauce," and encompasses a wide variety of
      forms. When most Americans speak of "salsa," they are typically referring
      to a condiment made with tomatoes, onions and chiles.

      "In 1988, only 16% of U.S. households bought salsa," says Stewart Jeffery,
      president, Quetzal Foods International Corporation, New Orleans. "By 1992,
      that figure had jumped to 36%. Salsa now outsells ketchup."
      (http://www.foodproductdesign.com/archive/1998/0498AP.html)

      *ANOTHER BIT ON THE HISTORY OF SALSA (excerpt):
      "Cortez corrupted the name [of the tomato]...Very probably they [chilies]
      are of real value and aid in warding off fevers and other maladies, as the
      natives claim, for they stimulate the digestive organs, especially the
      liver."
      http://www.gti.net/mocolib1/kid/foodfaq6.html#salsa

      *08: Over 700 Salsa Recipes

      *277 Salsa Recipes (and countin' -- possibly all vegan...)
      http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/salsa/

      *70 Salsa Recipes (all vegan)
      http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/salsas/

      *380 Salsa Recipes
      http://www.recipesource.com/side-dishes/salsas/

      *Vegetarian Recipes using Tabasco Sauce:
      http://www.TABASCO.com/html/recipes_vegetarian.html

      *Hot Damn Green Sauce Recipe:
      http://www.tabasco.com/html/recipes/hot_damn_green.html

      *09: ARTICLES: Food Borne Diseases
      (Last issue with so much on food recalls, Cargill (being the largest
      privately owned company in the US and owning Emmpak & Excel), left out that
      Cargill, this year, had the second largest recall in US History with some
      19 million pounds of meat)

      *"WISC. MEATPACKER RECALLS MORE BEEF"
      10/10/02: MILWAUKEE (AP) -"A meatpacker that has already recalled more than
      2.7 million pounds of ground beef linked to E. coli outbreaks is calling
      back another 568,000 pounds because of possible contamination.

      Peck Meat Packing, a division of Emmpak Foods, said Wednesday that some
      ground beef processed on Sept. 23 at its Milwaukee plant had tested
      positive for the bacteria.

      Emmpak began the beef recall late last month after E. coli outbreaks
      sickened 57 people in seven states, including 35 in Wisconsin, Segel said.
      The meat was sold nationwide in grocery stores, hotels, restaurants and
      other food institutions."

      *"BEEF RECALLS CONTINUE IN US"
      10/10/02 - US company Peck Meat Packing, a division of Emmpak Foods, this
      week joined an increasing number of US companies obliged to recall beef
      products.

      The company has recalled approximately 568,000 pounds of fresh ground beef
      produced in September at its ground beef plant in Milwaukee because of
      possible contamination by E. coli O157:H7."
      http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/news/news.asp?id=1396

      *"US MEAT RECALLS POINT TO 'BROKEN' FOOD SAFETY SYSTEM"
      10/07/02: "US Senate Agriculture Committee Chairman Tom Harkin said on
      Friday that a series of massive food recalls in the US this summer
      underscored the need to reform a "broken" federal food safety system.

      "These repeated meat recalls are clear evidence that our food safety system
      is broken," the Iowa Democrat said in a statement.

      Harkin is expected to hold committee hearings on the issue when Congress
      returns after the November elections. The senator faces a tough re-election
      bid against Iowa Representative Greg Ganske, a Republican.

      "There must be reforms, and I repeat my call on USDA and the administration
      to get on board so we can fix this system," he said. "
      http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/news/news.asp?id=1368

      *FOR ALL THE ACTIVE USDA RECALLS:
      http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/recalls/rec_actv.htm

      *10: ARTICLES: Veg'nism

      *FOR OLDER MEN, BEEFY PHYSIQUE DOESN'T REQUIRE BEEF
      08/28/02: NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - "Older men who are looking to beef up
      don't necessarily need to eat beef, as long as they are getting enough
      protein, new study findings suggest.

      A vegetarian diet with soy and dairy products as its main protein sources
      appears to be just as effective in increasing muscle mass for men aged 60
      to 70, according to a small study published in the September issue of the
      American Journal of Clinical Nutrition."

      SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2002;76:511-517.
      http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/76/3/511

      *"SCHOOL LUNCHES LABELED 'WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION'"
      10/0702: WASH, D.C.-The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
      (PCRM) will kick off a provocative new ad campaign next week that calls
      high-fat, high-cholesterol school lunches "weapons of mass destruction."
      The ad places blame with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for
      putting industry interests before public health by buying up surplus pork,
      beef, cheese, and other products and dumping them into the National School
      Lunch Program. "
      http://www.pcrm.org/news/health021007.html

      *"TOP VEGETARIAN MYTHS"
      http://www.vegetariantimes.com/resources/facts.asp

      *"WHAT WOULD MOST ENCOURAGE MORE PEOPLE TO GO VEGAN?"
      (as of 10/10/02 - 737 responses):

      - A vegan pizza with vegan cheese and pepperoni? 7.33 % (54)
      - More healthful vegan facts and figures? 5.70 % (42)
      - A vegan Mars Bar? 3.53 % (26)
      - Images of happy, good looking, healthy fit vegans? 9.23 % (68)
      - Vegan fish? 0.54 % (4)
      - Better vegan choices in restaurants? 30.66 % (226)
      - More vegan celebrities? 3.66 % (27)
      - Better vegan cheeses? Vegan Camembert? 8.55 % (63)
      - More products with the Vegan Society trademark? 5.56 % (41)
      - More vegan wine and beer? 2.17 % (16)
      - More vegan information in schools? 23.07 % (170)
      - More vegan recipes in newspapers and magazines? 8.96 % (66)

      (from:
      http://www.worldveganday.org/html/index.php
      a fascinating site that deserves more looking at later!)

      *11: ARTICLES: The Environment

      *"POLLUTANTS BLAMED FOR DUAL-SEX POLAR BEARS"
      06/01/98: Times of London (TL): "Scientists have discovered polar bear cubs
      with both male and female sex organs. The deformities are thought to be
      linked to the increasing pollution in polar regions.

      The four hermaphroditic bears were found in the Norwegian Arctic territory
      of Svalbard, where pollution levels are known to be high. Government
      officials and the researchers who found the newborn cubs on the islands of
      Edgeoya and Hopen suspect that the deformities are caused by
      polychlorinated biphenol chemicals (PCBs)."

      <snip> "Sex changes in fish have been monitored in Britain and in
      alligators in America, but the polar bears are believed to be the first
      mammal to show such acute damage. Dagfinn Stenseth, the Norwegian
      Government's special adviser on polar affairs, said yesterday that the
      findings had implications for wildlife and human beings. "The polar bear,
      like us, is at the top of the food chain. We are very concerned," he said."
      http://www.chem.unep.ch/pops/POPs_Inc/press_releases/TOL-1.htm

      *"INUIT STICK TO BLUBBER DESPITE ARCTIC POLLUTION"
      10/10/02: By Paul de Bendern: SAARISELKA (Reuters) - "The Inuit, an
      indigenous people of the Arctic, will stick to a traditional diet including
      whale blubber despite mounting pollution from industrial toxins and worries
      about global warming.

      "We realize that the wildlife we very much rely on is being contaminated
      and affecting our bodies," said Duane Smith, president of the Inuit
      Circumpolar Conference (ICC) in Canada.

      "But at this time it is still more nutritious to eat them," he told Reuters
      on the sidelines of a two-day foreign ministers' conference in Arctic
      Finland ending on Thursday."

      <snip> "Signs of climate change are increasingly apparent in the Arctic,
      which is already suffering from a thinning ozone layer.

      <snip> "The reduction of the permanent ice was also affecting food
      resources because it was harder to hunt and animals were changing behavior,
      particularly polar bears. Salmon were also appearing more in the Arctic,
      threatening other species.

      "What we are facing is very serious," Canadian Foreign Minister Bill Graham
      told Reuters. "The Arctic is the dumping ground for the rest of the
      world...it is definitely having a serious effect on the food chain."
      http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Living/reuters20021010_292.html

      *"MASSIVE SALMON KILL STOKES WATER-MANAGEMENT CONFLICT IN CALIF. "
      10/07/02: WASH POST (A03): Ross Anderson: SEATTLE -- "In a kill large
      enough to threaten the future of salmon in the Klamath River, nearly 30,000
      prized chinook and coho have died in recent weeks, renewing the debate over
      how best to use scarce water in drought-stricken northern California and
      escalating what is already the nation's most intense environmental battle.

      The bloated, dead fish are floating in the river -- a foul, smelly sign,
      environmentalists say, of a misguided federal policy of diverting river
      water to farmers for irrigation. Federal officials say it is unclear what
      has caused the fish kill, but have nonetheless in recent days been
      increasing water flow in the river to save the salmon.

      Environmentalists, Native American leaders and fishermen say the cause of
      the fish kill is clear: The lowered flow of the river has crowded salmon
      into warmer water where disease can flourish. "The Bush administration
      policy is to get as much water to farmers, regardless of the impacts on
      salmon," said Glen Spain, a spokesman for the Pacific Coast Federation of
      Fishermen's Associations. "It's that simple."

      *"LANDCOVER CHANGES MAY RIVAL GREENHOUSE GASES AS CAUSE OF CLIMATE CHANGE"
      10/01/02: NASA/Goddard Press Release NO: 02-142

      "While many scientists and policy makers have focused only on how
      heat-trapping gases like carbon dioxide are altering our global climate, a
      new NASA-funded study points to the importance of also including
      human-caused land-use changes as a major factor contributing to climate
      change.

      Land surface changes, like urban sprawl, deforestation and reforestation,
      and agricultural and irrigation practices strongly affect regional surface
      temperatures, precipitation and larger-scale atmospheric circulation. The
      study argues that human-caused land surface changes in places like North
      America, Europe, and southeast Asia, redistribute heat regionally and
      globally within the atmosphere and may actually have a greater impact on
      climate than that due to anthropogenic greenhouse gases combined."
      http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/20020926landcover.html

      *12: ARTICLES: Human Health

      *"WATERMELON MAY HELP FIGHT CANCER"
      08/19/02: By Karen Collins, R.D. MSNBC Contributor: "New government
      research shows that tomatoes should not be considered our only major source
      of lycopene, the phytochemical (natural plant substance) that could help
      prevent certain cancers and other health problems. Watermelon may be just
      as good a source.

      Lycopene is the substance that gives tomatoes, watermelon, guava, and red
      and pink grapefruit their characteristic color. Besides adding color,
      lycopene seems to be a powerful antioxidant. It neutralizes highly unstable
      molecules that would otherwise react with and damage our cells. Later
      studies also linked greater consumption of foods high in lycopene with a
      lower risk of prostate and other cancers. According to a new report
      published in Agricultural Research, the USDA's Agricultural Research
      Service (ARS) tested 13 varieties of watermelon for lycopene content and
      found that watermelon contains more than tomatoes do. The amount of
      lycopene varied among varieties (red seedless have most) as well as growing
      conditions."
      http://www.msnbc.com/news/796316.asp

      *"LEAST HEALTHY FAST-FOOD ITEMS"
      - BK Chicken-Fried Cheese Bricks
      - Pizza Hut Vodka Lover's Pizza
      - Wendy's Char-Grilled Styrofaom Carton
      - Taco Bell Lardito
      - Arby's Horseslaw
      - KFC "Just the Skin" Chicken Sandwich
      - Hardee's Tri-Gravy Smoothie
      - McDonald's biscuit with egg, cheese, sausage, egg, cheese, sausage

      (humor from The Onion:(http://www.theonion.com)

      *"DEEP-FRIED TWINKIES & OTHER 'PLEASURES'"
      By Reed Stevenson, Reuters: <snip> "We sold 26,000 Twinkies in 18 days,"
      said Rocky, who used to run a mechanical rodeo bull rental business.
      "People drove for hours just to taste our Twinkie."

      Preparing the new snack is quite simple. After removing the Twinkies from
      their plastic wrappers, they are chilled so they don't disintegrate when
      heated. Next, they are rolled in flour, dipped in a tempura batter and
      fried at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 90 to 120 seconds.

      The cooking process melts the vanilla-cream center, which infuses the
      yellow cake and gives it a souffle or pudding-like texture. Finally, the
      treats are sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with either chocolate
      or berry sauce. The snack costs $3."

      <snip>"If deep-fried Twinkies don't interest you, the Mullen brothers also
      sell deep-fried Snickers, 3 Musketeers and Milky Way candy bars at their
      stand."
      http://www.mindpleasures.com/private/Articles/Article24.shtml

      *TODAY'S HEALTH TIP FROM THE AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF CANCER RESEARCH:
      "Start making water your primary thirst-quencher. Cutting out the calories
      in a daily soft drink or glass of sweetened tea can add up to a loss of
      10-20 pounds in a year."
      http://www.aicr.org/

      *STATUE OF LIBERTY CARTOON!
      http://www.goma.demon.co.uk/eco/statueofliberty.html

      *13: ARTICLES: Animal Rights

      *"RATTLING THE CAGE: Is Animal Liberation Closer than We Think?"
      "Did the animal rights movement start off on the wrong foot? After reading
      Steven Wise's new book, Rattling the Cage, I have to believe it did.

      Steven Wise is a Harvard Law professor and Boston attorney who has spent
      much of his career litigating on behalf of animals. His new book, Rattling
      the Cage, examines how animals--particularly apes--are systematically
      denied legal rights. The book shows how modern society's denial of rights
      to animals can be traced back to archaic laws. After discussing the origins
      of how the law denies basic rights to animals, Wise examines how animal
      exploitation can be remedied through legal means.

      Reading this book makes me wonder what might have been. Rattling the Cage
      came out early this year, but I have to wonder about the impact it would
      have made if only it had been published 25 years ago. I can't help but wish
      that it was Rattling the Cage, and not Animal Liberation, that launched the
      animal rights movement in the 1970s. Both books are superb--it's just that
      philosophy books like Animal Liberation can't offer much in the way of
      tools to change the existing order of things. Philosophy books can do a
      masterful job of separating right from wrong. But when you finish reading
      Animal Liberation or The Case for Animal Rights, what tools do you have to
      seek change? Fortunately, two years ago, Singer himself chose to address
      this lack of tools by publishing a biography of the late Henry Spira titled
      Ethics into Action. I regard Ethics into Action as the most important
      general-interest animal rights book ever written, because it shows how one
      person with no special background can dive headfirst into animal rights and
      save millions upon millions of animals."

      (for the full review by Erik Marcus:
      http://www.vegan.com/issues/2000/apr00/rattling.htm

      (for review of "Ethics into Action":
      http://www.vegan.com/issues/1998/sep98/singer.htm

      Editor: a marvelous website, and well-worth a glom. Check out the printed
      or PDF version of Erik's great book "Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating"
      http://www.vegan.com)

      *14: Answers to Questions from Last Issue

      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCN07QPIX/p1010009.jpg
      WHERE is Howard? In Highlands Cemetary in Great Falls, Montana... where
      Howard's great-grandfather, grandfather and grandmother, Uncle and Aunt are
      buried.

      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCN07QPIX/p1010102.jpg
      WHY is this lady a legend on Capitol Hill? What's her relationship to
      Howard's wife, Willow?

      *Willow Jean worked for Evy Dubrow, the oldest lobbyist on Capitol Hill,
      for many years.

      *WHAT SENATOR KENNEDY SAID ABOUT EVY (excerpt from link):
      "What a brilliant record of achievement -- from the Civil Rights Act of
      1964 to the Minimum Wage Act of 1996. We couldn't have done it without you,
      Evy. No one has done more to bring women into the labor movement than Evy.
      Countless women in Washington and around the country thank Evy for opening
      doors and taking them under her wing."
      http://kennedy.senate.gov/statements/970226dubrow.html

      *WHAT PRES. CLINTON SAID AWARDING HER A "MEDAL OF FREEDOM" (excerpt):
      "Evy Dubrow came to Washington more than 40 years ago, ready to do battle
      for America's garment workers --and do battle she did. When it came to the
      well-being of workers and their families, this tiny woman was larger than
      life. The halls of Congress still echo with the sound of her
      voice,advocating a higher minimum wage, safer work places, better education
      for the children of working families."
      http://clinton4.nara.gov/textonly/WH/New/html/19990811.html

      *SEPT. 2002 "ROAST" OF EVY Web Page:
      http://www.iwdc.org/evy.htm

      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCN07QPIX/p1010202.jpg
      WHO are these people? Why are they in the documentary?

      Gene and Lorrie Bauston, co-founders of the Farm Sanctuary. Good friends
      of Howard's and have provided material for the Documentary as well.
      http://www.farmsanctuary.org

      "Didn't you start out funding Farm Sanctuary by selling tofu hot dogs at
      Grateful Dead shows?" Question to Gene from the following link/interview:
      http://www.veganstreet.com/community/bauston.html

      *15: Closing Thoughts

      "Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit
      without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce, 1842-1914

      *SHIP OF FOOLS CARTOON
      http://www.goma.demon.co.uk/eco/shipoffools.html

      "Without deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible." -- Frank
      Zappa, 1981

      "You have to remember that 80% of people are part of the herd. Do not think
      that because you saw ten people today and only two of them had a clue of
      what you were talking about that today was a failure. That's an absolute,
      100% successful day."-- Howard Lyman
      (http://www.veganstreet.com/community/lyman.html)

      *16: Howard's Speaking Dates of Note: October
      SAT. OCT 19: CHICAGO, ILLINOIS < EarthSave Chicago's 3rd Annual "Conference
      for Conscious Living" http://chicago.earthsave.org/index.html

      SUN. OCT 20: CHICAGO, ILLINOIS < 3rd Unitarian Church 10am - E-mail:
      susan@...

      *17: Next Week:
      ...answers to the following posers:

      1) What language is this tell-all book written in?
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MN8Q2/sk400.jpg

      2) Why are these people not happy with Howard?
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MN8Q2/p1010095.jpg

      3) Who wrote this?
      "All that was required of them was a primitive patriotism which could be
      appealed to whenever it was necessary to make them accept longer working
      hours or shorter rations. And even when they became discontented, as they
      sometimes did, their discontent led nowhere, because, being without general
      ideas, they could only focus it on petty specific grievances. The larger
      evils invariably escaped their notice. "

      4) Which kills more people globally and nationally: air pollution or
      traffic accidents?

      ....and more facts, fun, features, folly, fotos, and food for thought!

      *18: Links of Note