09_24_02: Letter from Howard, The Sound of Moo-sic, Factoids Galore (v01no5)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2002
      HOWDY!

      Welcome, everyone, to the 5TH Issue of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter. A
      special "hello" to all the new subscribers. We hope you enjoy receiving
      these issues. There's been more than a week's time since the last
      Newletter as we've been very busy with preparations for the tapings
      discussed below.

      Hope to get it to weekly very soon!

      IN THIS ISSUE:

      * LETTER FROM HOWARD ABOUT DOCUMENTARY
      * 3ABN TAPINGS STATUS
      * QUOTES FROM HOWARD, AND JOHN MUIR
      * THAT FLYING COW AND THE SOUND OF MOO-SIC
      * NEW FACTOIDS FROM THE MC WEBSITE
      * SAMPLE OF HOWARD'S TELEPROMPTER NOTES
      * BURGER THEORETICIANS CONCERNED
      * SPECIAL ARTCLES/FACTOIDS FROM 3ABN RESEARCH
      * EXACTLY HOW ARE DR. PHIL AND HOWARD CONNECTED?
      * WHERE IN THE WORLD IS HOWARD IN THESE PHOTOS??

      Best to everyone..... Mark Editor, MC Newsletter, WebMaster@...

      .........and for the new people, back issues are at:

      where you'll find details of the 3ABN segments in Newsletter 5

      * SPECIAL LETTER FROM HOWARD!!

      (Howard has recently traveled around the United States and Europe working
      hard with a film crew on filming "The Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary"....
      while working on the 25 segments to be broadcast around the world by 3ABN
      on the "Environment", he took the time to write a quick note about the
      filming of the documentary)

      "FILMING THE MAD COWBOY DOCUMENTARY - Sept. 20, 2002

      "We spent 21 days, traveled thousands of miles, interviewed over fifty
      top-notch folks in four different countries and obtaining over one hundred
      hours of digital film. We had a crew of five people working eighteen-hour
      days without complaint. The compatibility of the group was outstanding.

      We interviewed people from every part of the animal industry from factory
      hog operators, butchers, ranchers, farmers, dairy operators, and a National
      President of the largest farm organization in the country. We interviewed a
      United States Congressman, lobbyist, lawyers, and consumers. We even
      interviewed cab drivers and people on the street. They all added to the
      fascinating story.

      We were able to film in the BSE surveillance hot lab in Scotland, CWD labs
      in Wisconsin, manufacturing research labs in Switzerland, and research labs
      in Montanan.

      The human side of the story came from the families of the CJD victims in
      the United Kingdom. We heard time after time of the officials lying to the
      people about the food they were eating.

      The raw material is now in our hands and the difficult job of reducing over
      one hundred hours of first class film to a ninety to one hundred and twenty
      minute story of my life with a message that can change the world.

      The ball is now in our court and we will exert every ounce energy we have
      to maximize this opportunity. The animals are counting on us."

      PHOTOS FROM FILMING THE DOCUMENTARY:

      Direct link bypassing MC graphical user interface:
      http://www.madcowboy.com/09_23_02_MCDocEuro_v01/index.html

      (this is the first volume (40 images) of three volumes of pictures shot
      with Howard's digital camera while in Europe. There's another 400 pictures
      now on two cdroms shot by one of the crew, that will be posted on the
      website either in bits or big bytes soon... more on some of the images
      posted later in this Newsletter)

      * UPDATE ON HOWARD FILMING THE 25 3ABN SEGEMENTS

      On Sept. 24 and Sept. 25, Howard will be filming 25 fifteen minute segments
      on topics related to the "Environment" to be broadcast later to all the
      inhabited continents of the Earth, and potentially reaching 1/16 of the
      world's population... before possible use on public television...

      * QUOTES OF NOTE

      HOWARD: "As we do with thoughts of our own mortality, we tend to respond to
      predictions of looming environmental disaster by putting the matter out of
      our mind. We may label as "alarmist" someone who contends that our global
      pattern of environmental abuse will threaten civilization as we know it
      within, say, thirty years; but, in the long run, what difference does it
      make if the "alarmist" is right in his diagnosis of the problem but wrong
      in the timing of his particular doomsday by twenty or fifty or a hundred
      years? Would we be satisfied to inhabit a planet that is livable for only
      another centruy or so? Satisfied if our children or grandchildren are the
      last generations to live out reasonably normal lives before environmental
      conditions become globally unbearable?

      Already we are seeing forests, lakes, rivers, shorelines, and coral reefs
      die, fish and sea mammals disappear from our waters, birds disappear from
      our skies, frogs and other amphibians threatened, arable land decline in
      quantity and quality, and global food production per capita decline. We
      are losing precious rain forest at the rate of 2.4 acres per second. How
      much more destruction will we need to observe before we begin to make the
      protection of the Earth a greater human priority than our international
      competitions in commerce and armaments?

      I often hear politicians pontificate about the immorality of leaving our
      growing national debt to our children and grandchildren. They are
      positively outraged; you can practically see the blood vessels bursting in
      their faces as they deplore the injustice of it all. Often they recommend
      a change in our Consituition as the remedy. Well, wrong though it may be
      to burden our prodgeny with debt, I guarantee you that our descendants
      would rather contend with some inherited fiscal debt than dead rivers and
      oceans, spreading deserts, unproductive soil, depleted energy reserves,
      lost forests, and foul air.

      It is, of course, imperative that we understand the nature and causes of
      ecological destruction in order to stop it. But in facing these causes of
      unimaginable blight, we have to have the guts and the integrity to look at
      our own habits, and in particular, to the fork."

      ("Mad Cowboy", pp. 122-123)

      QUOTES FROM JOHN MUIR:

      "When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and
      dotted with continents and islands, flying through space with all other
      stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears
      as an infinite storm of beauty.

      The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. "

      (John of the Mountains (1938), page 313)

      "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to
      everything else in the Universe."

      (My First Summer in the Sierra , 1911, page 110)

      "It has been said that trees are imperfect men, and seem to bemoan their
      imprisonment rooted in the ground. But they never seem so to me. I never
      saw a discontented tree. They grip the ground as though they liked it, and
      though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do. They go wandering
      forth in all directions with every wind, going and coming like ourselves,
      traveling with us around the sun two million miles a day, and through space
      heaven knows how fast and far!

      If my soul could get away from this so-called prison, be granted all the
      list of attributes generally bestowed on spirits, my first ramble on
      spirit-wings would not be among the volcanoes of the moon. Nor should I
      follow the sunbeams to their sources in the sun. I should hover about the
      beauty of our own good star. I should not go moping among the tombs, not
      around the artificial desolation of men. I should study Nature's laws in
      all their crossings and unions; I should follow magnetic streams to their
      source and follow the shores of our magnetic oceans. I should go among the
      rays of the aurora, and follow them to their beginnings, and study their
      dealings and communions with other powers and expressions of matter. And I
      should go to the very center of our globe and read the whole splendid page
      from the beginning. But my first journeys would be into the inner substance
      of flowers, and among the folds and mazes of Yosemite's falls. How grand to
      move about in the very tissue of falling columns, and in the very
      birthplace of their heavenly harmonies, looking outward as from windows of
      ever-varying transparency and staining!

      Our crude civilization engenders a multitude of wants, and law-givers are
      ever at their wit's end devising. The hall and the theater and the church
      have been invented, and compulsory education. Why not add compulsory
      recreation? Our forefathers forged chains of duty and habit, which bind us
      notwithstanding our boasted freedom, and we ourselves in desperation add
      link to link, groaning and making medicinal laws for relief. Yet few think
      of pure rest or of the healing power of Nature.

      One is constantly reminded of the infinite lavishness and fertility of
      Nature -- inexhaustible abundance amid what seems enormous waste. And yet
      when we look into any of her operations that lie within reach of our minds,
      we learn that no particle of her material is wasted or worn out. It is
      eternally flowing from use to use, beauty to yet higher beauty; and we soon
      cease to lament waste and death, and rather rejoice and exult in the
      imperishable, unspendable wealth of the universe, and faithfully watch and
      wait the reappearance of everything that melts and fades and dies about us,
      feeling sure that its next appearance will be better and more beautiful
      than the last."

      (Thousand Mile Walk to the Gulf, p.41-42)

      FROM THE WEBSITE OF THE SIERRA CLUB (http://www.sierraclub.org):

      "John Muir was born in Dunbar, in East Lothian, Scotland on 21 April 1838.
      At the age of ten he emigrated with his family to America. The family
      settled in Wisconsin where they became farmers and where John Muir attended
      university. In his twenties he travelled to and there established his
      reputation as a naturalist, explorer, mountaineer, farmer, geologist,
      writer, and, above all, pioneer of nature conservation.

      He played a crucial role in creating Yosemite National Park, fought to save
      the giant redwoods of California and, in 1892, was a founder and the first
      president of the Sierra Club, now the premier conservation body in
      California with a membership of over 600,000.

      He strongly influenced President Theodore Roosevelt in creating other
      National Parks and, as a result of his lifelong struggle on behalf of wild
      places and wildlife, Americans have honoured Muir with the title of 'Father
      of Our National Parks'. He has been voted 'Most Famous Californian of All
      Time', appeared on two US postage stamps (the more recent a current issue)
      and more than 200 parks, woods, schools, etc., bear his name. "

      (Howard took great pleasure in shooting many pictures of John Muir's
      birthplace and some of the locale scenary where he lived his early years.
      You can bypass the website interface and go directly to a picture of John
      Muir's birthplace here:

      http://www.madcowboy.com/09_23_02_MCDocEuro_v01/pictures/img_0031.html

      DEUTERONOMY 8:7-10 (King James Version)

      (Under consideration by Howard for the tapings)

      7. "For the Lord thy God bringeth thee into a good land, a land of brooks
      of water, of fountains and depths that spring out of valleys and hills;

      8. "A land of wheat, and barley, and vines, and fig trees, and
      pomegranates; a land of oil olive, and honey;

      9. "A land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, thou shalt not
      lack any thing in it; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills
      thou mayest dig brass.

      10. "When thou has eaten, and art full, then thou shalt bless the Lord thy
      God for the good land which he hath given thee."

      *WHAT'S WITH THE FLYING COW AND CHAIR THINGIE?

      For those of you new to the MadCowboy Newsletter, last issue contained
      links to two pictures NOT linked on the MadCowboy website:

      http://www.madcowboy.com/FC_IMG_0020.JPG
      (should have saved the above for Halloween)

      http://www.madcowboy.com/DF_IMG_0018.JPG
      (what a civilized country!!)

      The first, is one of hundreds of decorated fiberglass cows on the streets
      of Zurich (where the idea originated), and in London, England. The
      "flying cow" is in London, England. Howard said they were all over the
      place (and many were filmed for possible inclusion in the documentary).

      The second, is a "drinking water station" for dogs at the train station in
      Carlisle, England (Virgin Trains). Both images were shot by Howard during
      the filming in Europe.

      RELATED NOTES:

      "ANIMAL KITSCH MIGHT DRAW HERDS OF TOURISTS
      Thursday, August 23, 2001

      "Nothing is more American than an enthusiastic goof coming up with a wild
      idea to make money, then pushing the frontiers of good taste and reason to
      make it happen. And there are no limits to what we will buy.

      Case in point: What started three summers ago as cow statues in Chicago has
      become a tourist phenomenon of animal statuary that has swept the country.
      Pittsburgh is one of several cities that have either resisted or not tuned
      in; hard to tell which it might be.

      As I was reading about this in The New York Times the other day, my first
      thoughts were, "Someone believed in this idea enough to give it voice," and
      then, "Enough people agreed."

      The concept actually originated in Zurich, Switzerland, with two artists. A
      Chicago businessman saw their cow statues on a visit there and returned
      wanting to replicate them. As far as anyone knows, no city in Europe has
      appropriated the idea. Here, of course, we mass-produce whimsy."

      (the above excerpted from:
      http://www.post-gazette.com/columnists/20010823walk0823fnp4.asp)

      THE LION PROJECT:

      "With the Lions project, Jerusalem decided to join the club of cities that
      have turned their streets into art galleries. What could be more natural
      than to take the lion, the symbol of the City, as the central feature of
      the exhibition?

      The plan has its roots in Zurich, Switzerland where in the summer of 1998,
      a novel project in the field of plastic art was introduced to the world.
      The project to place hundreds of cow statues decorated by different artists
      succeeded in capturing the imagination of the city for many months to come.
      The originality and freshness of this project enchanted many people across
      the globe with the result that it spawned many similar events in other
      cities.

      <snip>

      Sixty life size lion statues will form the cornerstone of the project. The
      Jerusalem Municipality will initiate a variety of cultural, tourist and
      community actions involving the choice of artists, conceptual planning the
      creation and placement of the statues."

      (the above excerpted from:
      http://www.jerusalem.muni.il/jer_sys/lion/eng/about_eng.html)

      THE SOUND OF MOO-SIC:

      "The "Cow" statue series already popular in Zurich, New York and Chicago
      made its way to Salzburg, Austria last summer, where one bovine beauty was
      painted in honor of the R&H [Rogers & Hammerstein] musical set in that city
      - THE SOUND OF MUSIC. Or should we say: THE SOUND OF MOO-SIC?

      (from the URL below - check out the two large, but really funny photographs:
      http://www.rnh.com/news/fall2000/cattle.htm

      *NEW FACTOIDS POSTED ON THE MADCOWBOY WEBSITE!

      We're just a couple shy of having some 200 referenced factoids available on
      the website for your use anywhere ya wants to use them!

      Added 09/24/02:

      18 new factoids on "Vegetarianism"
      10 new factoids on "Human Health" (Lung Cancer)
      22 new factoids on "The Environment" (Fish... some previewed in the last
      Newsletter)

      SOME OF NEW FACTOIDS FAVORITES:

      VEG:

      ** "We think we're one of the carnivores, and we conducting our lives as if
      we were, but I would suggest, as have many others, that we are not. Unless
      we are willing to understand this, the health of this nation will not
      improve." (William Roberts, M.D., Editor-in-Chief, American Journal of
      Cardiology; Director, Baylor Cardiovascular Institute)"

      ** "Nutrients that reduce risk for heart disease (by protecting LDL
      cholesterol from oxidation): Vitamin E and Vitamin C" (Messina, Virginia,
      and Messina, Mark, "Vegetarianism and Risk Factors for Cardiovascular
      Disease," Issues in Vegetarian Dietetics, Winter 1999, pg. 10-11)"

      ** "Intake of Vitamin E for vegetarians compared to non-vegetarians:
      Double" (Messina, Mark, and Messina, Virginia, The Dietician's Guide To
      Vegetarian Diets: Issues and Applications, Aspen Publishers, Gaithersburg,
      Maryland, 1996, pg. 470-73)"

      ** "Intake of Vitamin C for vegetarians compared to non-vegetarians: 50%
      greater" (Messina, Mark, and Messina, Virginia, The Dietician's Guide To
      Vegetarian Diets: Issues and Applications, Aspen Publishers, Gaithersburg,
      Maryland, 1996, pg. 464-67)"

      ** "Foods without almost no Vitamin C: Meat, poultry, eggs, dairy
      products, and vegetable oils"

      ** "I don't understand why asking people to eat a well-balanced vegetarian
      diet is considered drastic, while it is medically conservative to cut
      people open or put them on powerful cholesterol-lowering drugs for the rest
      of their lives." (Dean Ornish, M.D.)"

      ** "We think we're one of the carnivores, and we conducting our lives as if
      we were, but I would suggest, as have many others, that we are not. Unless
      we are willing to understand this, the health of this nation will not
      improve." (William Roberts, M.D., Editor-in-Chief, American Journal of
      Cardiology; Director, Baylor Cardiovascular Institute)"

      HUMAN HEALTH (LUNG CANCER):

      ** "The evidence that diets high in vegetables and fruits protect against
      lung cancer is convincing... The most effective way of preventing lung
      cancer is not to use tobacco. The most effective dietary means of
      preventing lung cancer is consumption of diets high in vegetables and
      fruits." (Food, Nutrition and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global
      Perspective, American Institute for Cancer Research, and World Cancer
      Research Fund)"

      ** "Most common cause of cancer mortality worldwide: lung cancer"

      ** "Impact on risk of lung cancer for people who frequently eat green,
      orange and yellow vegetables: 20%-60% reduction " (Hirayama T., "Diet and
      cancer," Nutrition and Cancer, 1979a;1:67-81. See also Colditz, G.A. et.
      al., "Diet and lung cancer: a review of the epidemiologic evidence in
      humans," Archives of Internal Medicine 1987;147:157-60; And International
      Journal of Cancer 1998;78:430-366, cited in "Fruits, carrots may reduce
      lung cancer risk," Reuters, Nov. 25, 1999)"

      ** "The vegetabale with the strongest protective effect: Carrot"
      (International Journal of Cancer 1998;78:430-36, cited in "Fruits, carrots
      may reduce lung cancer risk," Reuters. Nov. 25, 1999)"

      * SAMPLE OF HOWARD'S TELEPROMPTER NOTES
      (For each of the 25 topics for the "Environment" segments being filmed,
      Howard created his OWN outlines of text/facts that would prompt him during
      the live tapings.... some of these sentences will make sense, some won't...
      all are referenced off-line for later use online or off. The following is
      the exact text supplied digitally from Howard to 3ABN for the telepromper
      covering the segment on "Animal Husbandry"... part of the some 80 pages
      generated)

      10. ANIMAL HUSBANDRY

      10 MILLION DAIRY COWS

      80 MILLION RANGE COWS

      4 YEAR AGE OF DAIRY COW

      3 WEEK TO PRODUCE THEIR WEIGHT

      50% OF LANDMASS USED FOR LIVESTOCK

      25,000 TONS ANTIBIOTICS ANNUALLY IN US

      50-70% ANIMALS

      70% CHICKEN HAVE CAMPYLOBACTER IN U.S.

      PRICE PAID FOR GRAZING FEE + 1 CENT PER HAMBURGER

      WYOMING STATE SENATOR WANTED TO REMOVE A WYOMING PROFESSOR FOR BIO
      DIVERSITY STATEMENT

      LIVESTOCK GRAZING #1 CAUSE OF SPECIES ELIMINATION

      1/2 ENDANGERED SPECIES THREATENED BY CATTLE RANCHING

      WE PAID $105 MILLION TO SUPPORT PUBLIC LANDS AND RECEIVED $29 MILLION IN
      GRAZING FEES

      94% ARIZONA PUBLIC IS GRAZED 26 CENT/ ACRE

      99% NEW MEXICO GRAZED 4% OF TRUST INCOME

      35 POUNDS OF TOP SOIL LOST FOR EACH POUND BEEF

      PIGGO

      EYES OF THE ANIMALS

      HORSES IN THE BARN

      COW CALF

      SPEAKERS

      STEWARDSHIP

      DOMESTIC COMPANIONS

      SMARTEST ANIMAL

      PERCENT WITH PNEUMONIA

      HEART ATTACKS

      4 TIMES MORE WASTE FROM HOGS IN NC THAN THE PEOPLE

      HOG WASTE 10- 100 MORE CONCENTRATED

      90 M PER YEAR

      65 M NEVER SEE THE OUTSIDE

      PFIESTERIA PISCICIDA

      DEAD ZONE GULF LARGER THAN NJ

      PIGS IN THE WILD FAMILY GROUPS 10 OR FEWER

      PIGS HOME RANGE 8 SQ MILES

      MORE INTELLIGENT THAN DOGS

      PIGS KEEP SLEEPING AREA CLEAN

      PIGLETS A FEW HOURS OLD WILL LEAVE THE NEST TO RELIEVE THEMSELVES

      PIG CAN RUN 11 MPH

      WEEK-OLD BABY PIGS INJECTED WITH ANTIBIOTICS

      TEETH ARE CLIPPED

      EARS NOTCHED

      TAILS DOCKED

      MALES CASTRATED

      WEANED 3 WEEKS OF AGE

      PREGNANT SOWS FEED IS RESTRICTED

      LEAVES HER CHRONICALLY HUNGRY

      WHICH CAN BE CONSUMED IN 10 TO 20 MINUTES

      URINATES AND DEFECATES WHERE SHE STANDS

      80,000 PIGS DIE ON THE WAY TO SLAUGHTERHOUSE

      1 BILLION PIGS COMMERCIALLY SLAUGHTERED IN US EA YEAR

      20% DEATH LOSS FACTORY FARM PIGS

      1 UTAH FARM AS MUCH WASTE AS THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES

      68% OF HOG FARMERS OUT OF BUSINESS

      UK, SWEDEN, FINLAND, NETHERLANDS, DENMARK BANNING GESTATION CRATES

      FLORIDA COLLECTED 689,000 SIGNATURES TO BAN FACTORY GESTATION CRATES AND
      VEAL CRATES

      50% ANTIBIOTICS CONSUMED BY AGRICULTURE

      5000 TO 25,000 HOGS COMMONPLACE

      WATER TURNS TO BLOOD

      NORTH CAROLINA LAGOON SPILLS

      RIVERS BECOME NUTRIENT RICH

      BACTERIA EATING FISH AND FISHERMAN

      *BURGER THEORETICIANS CONCERNED

      TWO NEW BURGER KING SANDWICHES NEGATE EACH OTHER

      "MIAMI-In a gala ceremony at its Miami headquarters, the Burger King
      Corporation rolled out two new sandwiches that conceptually negate each
      other.

      "The new Veggie Burger, with just seven grams of fat, is a refreshing,
      heart-smart alternative to the usual fast-food junk," Burger King
      vice-president Robert Fass said. "And brace yourselves, meat lovers: The
      new BK Hickory Bacon Triple Stack - three juicy, big-beef patties topped
      with crispy bacon and slathered in a rich, smoked-cheddar sauce - is gonna
      blow you away."

      Burger theoreticians posit that the sandwiches could destroy each other if
      sold in a single order."

      (as cited on Vegan Outreach, excerpted from TheOnion:
      http://www.theonion.com ):
      http://www.veganoutreach.org/spam/20020828.html

      *SPECIAL 3ABN-RELATED FACTOIDS OF NOTE

      (the following are some of the factoids/information examined and/or used
      for the 3ABN "scripts")

      ** 1 MILLION ANIMALS KILLED BY CARS EVERY YEAR IN THE US (source not
      available right now)

      ** MAMMALS, FISH, BIRDS, AMPHIBIANS, REPTILES SUFFERING MAJOR DECLINES
      http://www.worldwatch.org/alerts/pr980521.html

      "Mammals, fish, birds, amphibians, and reptiles-the higher animals known
      collectively as vertebrates-are suffering high rates of decline, reports a
      new study from the Worldwatch Institute. About one in four vertebrate
      species surveyed so far is in serious trouble-either declining sharply in
      numbers, limited to dangerously small populations, or facing pressure from
      land clearance, road building, excessive hunting and fishing, and other
      human activities.

      "We are in the midst of a mass extinction, an event not seen since the
      disappearance of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago," says John Tuxill, a
      Research Fellow at the Worldwatch Institute and author of Losing Strands in
      the Web of Life: Vertebrate Declines and the Conservation of Biological
      Diversity. "But unlike the dinosaurs, we are not just contemporaries of a
      mass extinction-we are the reason for it."

      In 1996, the World Conservation Union (IUCN), in collaboration with over
      600 scientists, published a groundbreaking survey of the status of animal
      life on Earth. According to their estimates, 25 percent of mammal and
      amphibian species, 11 percent of birds, 20 percent of reptiles, and 34
      percent of fish species surveyed so far are threatened with extinction. In
      addition, another 5 to 14 percent of species in these groups are "nearing
      threatened status."

      "The declining health of vertebrates is but one indicator of a decline in
      many facets of the natural world," said Tuxill. "Plants, insects, snails,
      and many other organisms are also threatened. Together, all of these life
      forms make up what scientists call biodiversity-the rich diversity of life
      that underpins everything from food production to a host of essential
      medicines. Unlike other environmental losses, this one cannot be reversed.
      With biodiversity, nature doesn't give second chances."

      ** INDIA'S DISAPPEARING VULTURES
      http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/09/bodio.htm.

      The Atlantic Monthly | September 2001

      "The Mysterious Dwindling Of The Subcontinent's Natural, And Vital,
      "Garbage Men"
      by Stephen Bodio

      <snip>

      "Although the Parsis continue to stack their dead within the towers (their
      religion, Zoroastrianism, forbids them to contaminate earth, fire, or water
      with their corpses), the bodies remain unmolested except by the gradual
      effects of the elements. The vultures crucial to their rapid disposal have
      largely disappeared. The phenomenon has sparked an ongoing international
      scientific investigation; however, the reasons for the decline of the
      vulture population remain unclear. And it is estimated that 90 to 96
      percent of India's vultures have already disappeared.

      In the early 1990s the Parsis started to notice that there were fewer birds
      at the towers. At first they assumed that the vultures had simply gone
      elsewhereÑeven though large birds are unlikely to abandon a stable source
      of food. But researchers in other parts of India began to observe a similar
      condition. In 1997 Vibhu Prakash, a scientist at the Bombay Natural History
      Society, recorded about forty vulture deaths in a colony in Keoladeo
      National Park, south of New DelhiÑnearly 700 miles from Bombay. Many of the
      vultures had exhibited a strange behavior before dying, hanging their heads
      so low that their beaks nearly touched their bellies. In November of 1998
      the BNHS sent a "vulture alert" to its patrons and to various organizations
      around the world, including the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and The
      Peregrine Fund, both of which joined the investigation.

      Initially, many scientists suspected pesticides, which have been implicated
      in the declines of several bird species in the United States, including the
      brown pelican, the bald eagle, and the peregrine falcon. But although India
      still uses vast quantities of DDT, the chief culprit in those species'
      decline, several facts argued against its having caused the vultures'
      deaths: DDT breaks down much more rapidly in warm climates than in moderate
      or cold ones; it tends to affect egg development rather than to kill adult
      birds; and tissue analysis of Indian vultures revealed only low levels of
      DDT metabolites."

      <snip>

      "Spiritual considerations aside, the dwindling of vulture populations in
      and around India has enormous practical consequences. As Rick Watson, the
      international program director at The Peregrine Fund, says, the vultures
      are "garbage men - they clean up the environment." India's sacred cattle,
      which live and die in the streets, will not be disposed of without
      themÑvirtually all Hindus are forbidden to touch the cattle's corpses.
      Other dead animals will also inevitably be left to rot. One result may be
      an increase in stray dogs (the only "cleaners" left), which could
      facilitate the spread of rabies. Another may be outbreaks of disease:
      tuberculosis, anthrax, and foot-and-mouth disease are all easily
      communicated through neglected carcasses. If the avian affliction spreads
      to Africa, where vultures clean the corpses of the many animals that die in
      the wild, matters may be far worse. And transmission is more than a remote
      possibility: there are no vulture-free corridors between India and Africa."

      <snip>

      " ... even if whatever is affecting the wild vultures disappeared next
      year, it would take two decades or more for vulture numbers to stabilize."
      It will be at least five years before captive-bred young can be produced in
      the facility. In the meantime, corpses continue to pile up at the Towers of
      Silence, at the rate of about three a day. "

      ** 111 SPECIES OF BIRDS THREATENED BY WEST NILE VIRUS
      By Allison Schlesinger, Associated Press Writer

      PITTSBURGH (AP) - The West Nile virus, first spotted in this country in a
      sick crow three years ago, has now attacked at least 111 species of birds,
      including the bald eagle and the endangered Mississippi sandhill crane.

      The spread of the virus has surprised and alarmed wildlife researchers
      because it has happened so quickly. Last year, West Nile had been detected
      only in about a dozen species of birds.

      This year, hundreds of birds of prey, particularly red-tailed hawks and
      great horned owls, have been found dead in the upper Midwest, said Kathryn
      Converse, a wildlife disease specialist with the U.S. Geological Survey's
      National Wildlife Health Center in Madison, Wis.

      About 400 owls and hawks died in Ohio alone in what one wildlife official
      called ``a major die-off.'' The carcasses were being tested for West Nile
      virus, which has been confirmed in several cases.

      <snip>

      "We don't know of any birds that can't be affected by the virus,'' Converse
      said.

      It's impossible to know exactly how many birds have died from the West Nile
      virus, wildlife officials say, because the only way to confirm the virus in
      birds is to test them after they die."

      Related Info:
      http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/birdspecies.htm

      ** RAPID DESTRUCTION THREATENS FORESTS
      http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/06/11/forests.glb/

      June 11, 2002 Posted: 11:20 AM EDT (1520 GMT)
      By Gary Strieker, CNN Correspondent

      CNN -- The growing crisis facing forests is even more serious than
      scientists had thought.

      "Ten years after the Rio Earth Summit and 32 years since the first Earth
      Day, there are disturbing new findings from the World Resources Institute's
      Global Forest Watch.

      Extensive ground research, combined with digital and satellite mapping
      shows vast areas of the world's remaining old growth and primary forests
      are disappearing at an alarming rate.

      "We saw the rapid loss of the last remaining old growth forests in the
      world, the forest frontiers," said Jonathan Lash from the institute.

      "These are places that are irreplaceable in terms of their value in
      conserving biodiversity, important cultures, and the services that those
      ecosystems provide for humankind."

      <snip>

      At the current rate of destruction, 40 percent of the world's intact
      forests will disappear in ten to 20 years, it said.

      Other researches warn the damage to the Amazon and other tropical
      rainforests could be irreversible within a decade. "

      ** REDWOODS TAP CLOUDS FOR MOISTURE
      September 01, 15:53 ET, By Don Thompson, Associated Press Writer

      "JEDEDIAH SMITH REDWOODS STATE PARK, Calif. (AP) - Researchers showed four
      years ago that California's coastal redwoods create their own ``rain'' by
      condensing heavy fog into drenching showers to nourish their roots during
      the region's dry summers.

      This summer, they're finding that the world's tallest trees' immense upper
      stories drink from the sky itself, sucking water directly from the clouds
      that shroud the coast much of the dry season.

      That helps explain how trees 37 stories tall can move enough water from
      their roots to feed branches and needles nearly 2 1/2 times as high as the
      Statue of Liberty.

      The answer, apparently, is they don't have to: the branches and needles get
      much of their moisture from the air itself.

      Researchers are trying to quantify how much moisture they absorb. But plant
      ecologist Todd Dawson of the University of California, Berkeley already
      knows: ``It's a bunch.''

      The ability to siphon water upward against gravity and friction is thought
      to be one of the most limiting factors in how tall trees can grow.

      ``Theory says you can't transport water that high,'' Dawson said. ``Yet
      trees do it all the time. We want to understand how.''

      <snip>

      (Editor: apparently, from other articles, air pollution in California from
      highways is "clogging" up the pores of the younger redwoods and limiting
      their growth)

      ** EPA REPORT FINDS NEARLY HALF OF COASTAL WATERS DAMAGED, NOT FIT FOR LIFE
      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/DailyNews/coastal_waters020403.html

      By Bob Jamieson

      "April 3 - Nearly half of all the waters off the coast of the United States
      are so damaged they cannot fully support aquatic life, an Environmental
      Protection Agency report released today said.

      <snip>

      A major threat to estuaries is pollution from farms and lawns, from roads
      and construction sites borne hundreds of miles by rivers including the
      Mississippi.

      The Gulf of Mexico, the EPA said, collects pollutants from 40 percent of
      the land in the continental United States.

      In Galveston Bay, once rich with shrimp, the wetlands no longer act as a
      buffer: 50 percent have disappeared to development.

      "Unfortunately, the Gulf of Mexico has been treated as somewhat of a sewer
      by the rest of the United States," said Mark Muhich of the Sierra Club.

      Many environmental groups welcomed the report, but said even its stark
      findings understate the serious condition of coastal waters."

      ** 80% OF U.S. STREAMS AND RIVERS ARE CONTAMINATED WITH DRUGS
      From The Wasington Post: 03/13/2002:

      "Study finds over 80% of U.S. streams and rivers are contaminated with a
      broad array of medical drugs, including hormones, antibiotics,
      antidepressants, and heart medications, as well as chemicals from personal
      care and household cleaning products. The first U.S.-wide study of
      pharmaceutical pollution of rivers and streams offers an unsettling picture
      of waterways contaminated with antibiotics, painkillers such as
      acetaminophen and ibuprofen, steroids, synthetic hormones used in
      contraceptives and hormone replacement therapy, antidepressants, and other
      commonly used drugs, as well as chemicals found in beauty aids, household
      cleaners, and foods.

      Of the 139 streams analyzed by the U.S. Geological Survey in 30 states
      about 80 percent contained trace amounts of contaminants that are routinely
      discharged into the water in human and livestock waste and chemical plant
      refuse. Seven or more chemical compounds were found in half the streams
      sampled and 10 or more compounds were found in a third of the streams; a
      single water sample contained as many as 38 chemicals."

      <SNIP>

      ** LARGEST STRUCTURE ON THE PLANET BUILT BY LIVING ORGANISMS
      http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0101/feature2/index.html

      Largest structure on the planet built by living organisms, Australia's
      coral rampart hosts a carnival of sea life.

      <snip>

      With new fish species found in the Great Barrier area every year, the total
      is approaching 2,000. It will likely keep rising. So will the estimates of
      4,000 mollusks and at least 350 hard, or reef-building, corals. Researchers
      counted more than 250 types of shrimps on the reefs just around Heron
      Island, near the Great Barrier's southern end. One volleyball-size coral
      chunk there yielded 1,441 worms from 103 species.

      Get the whole story in the pages of National Geographic magazine. "

      (Editor: of course, the reefs are all in trouble because of pollution and
      temperature change of the oceans. They are also, unfortunately, more
      biologically diverse than forests, and were likened in one article to the
      "ocean's canary", referring to how miners used to use canaries in small
      cages to detect problems with their air)

      ** 10 MOST UNSUSTAINABLE NATIONS IN ASCENDING ORDER OF ECO-DEFICIT PER CAPITA
      http://www.ecouncil.ac.cr/rio/focus/report/english/footprint.

      Research by The Earth Council in 1997 indicated that the 10 most
      unsustainable nations in ascending order of ecological deficit per capita
      are: Switzerland, Israel, Japan, Germany, United Kingdom, the USA, the
      Netherlands, Belgium, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Details may be found on the
      Earth Council's Ecological Footprint of Nations web page at :

      William Rees explains this concept further:

      "Ecological deficits are a measure of the entropic load and resultant
      'disordering' being imposed on the ecosphere by so-called advanced
      countries as the unaccounted cost of maintaining and further expanding
      their wealthy consumer economies. This massive entropic imbalance invokes
      what might be called the first axiom of ecological footprint analysis: On a
      finite planet, not all countries or regions can be net importers of
      carrying capacity. This, in turn, has serious implications for global
      development trends."

      ** MARKET FOR VEGETARIAN MEALS NATIONWIDE IS EXPECTED TO DOUBLE
      http://www.agweekly.com/commodities/bean/index.asp?StoryID=21

      Edition for Saturday, August 31, 2002 Twin Falls, Idaho
      Competition promotes bean consumption

      Ag Weekly

      "BOISE -- Currently valued at $1.25 billion, the market for vegetarian
      meals nationwide is expected to double over the next five years, according
      to the Idaho Bean Commission.

      This increase is especially noticeable in college and university dining
      halls where beans are providing cost-per-serving economy, versatility and a
      complementary protein profile.

      To capitalize on this growing trend, IBC and the National Association of
      College and University Food Services are co-sponsoring a competition to
      promote the consumption of beans on campuses nationwide. "

      <snip>

      (no comment......)

      *NEWS ALERT! JUST IN! BUSH SENDS TROOPS TO WEST NILE!
      http://www.theonion.com/onion3834/bush_sends_troops.html

      "WASHINGTON, DC-Vowing to "exact justice for the taking of innocent
      American lives," a determined and defiant President Bush deployed more than
      14,000 ground troops to the West Nile Monday.

      "My fellow Americans, an enemy from overseas has attacked us in our own
      land, waging biological warfare against us on our home soil," Bush said in
      a nationally televised speech from the Oval Office. "We must send a strong
      message to our enemies in the West Nile region that this virulent
      aggression against America will not go unpunished; it will not stand."

      Bush's decision to deploy troops came on the heels of three more West Nile
      virus deaths over the weekend-one in Louisiana and two in Illinois-bringing
      the national death toll to 51."

      *EXACTLY HOW ARE DR. PHIL AND HOWARD CONNECTED?

      This question was posted last issue, and to our surprise, there was a major
      article in the Washington Post TV Guide about this a day after the
      Newsletter was sent out, as a promo for Dr. Phil McGraw's new TV show.

      They got it wrong, though. Dr. Phil was not brought to Texas for the
      Oprah/Lyman Trial to be a "therapist." Oprah and Howard split the expenses
      50/50.

      http://www.cnn.com/US/9802/26/oprah.verdict/ (contains some great quotes,
      two digital videos)

      http://www.cnn.com/US/9802/26/oprah.verdict/oprah.40.160.mov (small QT...
      1.6 MB... note Dr. Phil walking behind Oprah)

      FROM:
      http://www.philmcgraw.com/

      "Dr. Phillip C. McGraw, known to millions the world over as "Dr. Phil," is
      "The Oprah Winfrey Show's" resident expert on human behavior, three time
      New York Times best-selling author and co-founder of Courtroom Sciences,
      Inc., the world's leading litigation consulting firm. Currently appearing
      before millions every Tuesday on "The Oprah Winfrey Show..."

      FOR MORE ON THE COMPANY HE CO-FOUNDED:
      http://www.courtroomsciences.com/

      "Courtroom Sciences, Inc. (CSI) is America's premier full-service trial and
      settlement sciences firm. CSI is active in state and federal venues
      nationwide.

      CSI utilizes a team of multidisciplinary experts and social scientists to
      assist the legal profession in all phases of modern trial sciences.

      CSI also assists the legal profession in all forms of courtroom visual
      presentations through its multimedia division."

      (Howard has said that a signficiant part of winning the trial was the
      combination of the abilities of both Dr. Phil, and Chip Babcock, the key
      lawyer for the defense)

      *WORLD FARM ANIMALS DAY HAS BEEN EXTENDED!
      In honor of their 20th anniversary of this effort, the activities have been
      extended through the month of October. What are YOU doing to help the
      animals?

      FROM: http://www.wfad.org

      "WORLD FARM ANIMALS DAY was launched in 1983 to expose, mourn, memorialize,
      and mitigate the suffering of billions of innocent, sentient animals in the
      world's factory farms and slaughterhouses. The date of October 2 honors the
      birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, foremost champion of humane farming. It marks
      the one day a year when every person of conscience is honor-bound to help
      relieve the agony of farmed animals. Additional details about the
      observance are provided elsewhere.

      On this 20th annual observance of World Farm Animals Day, activists in
      hundreds of communities throughout North America and 20 other countries
      will expose the atrocities of today's factory farms and slaughterhouses by
      public screening of graphic slaughterhouse videotapes from TV sets mounted
      on their cars and outdoor tables. They will also conduct vigils, marches,
      street theater, and leafleting and staff information tables and exhibits.
      Video trucks and vans will visit several cities.

      A distinguished National Council headlines this year's observance. 30
      governors and large city mayors will issue special proclamations. Media
      interviews and hundreds of billboards and bus cards in major metropolitan
      areas will carry the message to millions. An illustrated report of last
      year's observance and an advance listing of this year's events are provided.

      We invite you to register for an informative ACTION KIT about this historic
      20th annual observance. Media representatives should check the news
      releases at our Media Center and Internet Resources for additional
      information on the devastating impacts of animal agriculture on animal
      welfare, environmental quality, and human health."

      *CARTOONS!!!

      Pharmaceuticals in Drinking Water
      http://www.gristmagazine.com/ha/ha031802.asp

      How to Spot a Radical Environmentalist:
      http://www.gristmagazine.com/grist/ha/ha110501.asp

      "Mutts" artist/writer, Patrick McDonnell used to work for the Human
      Society. Here are two of his cartoons noting "National Farm Animals Week":

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/comics/king.htm?name=Mutts&date=20020
      918 (all in one line)

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/comics/king.htm?name=Mutts&date=20020
      921

      From the Press Release about Patrick and the HSUS campaign (with thanks to
      Scott Williams for pointing this out on the Veg-DC List):
      http://www.kingfeatures.com/pressrm/PR93.htm

      Selected Bits From Patrick's Bio:
      http://www.kingfeatures.com/features/comics/mutts/bio.htm

      "With its expressive art and humorous, often philosophical, writing, Mutts
      has become a favorite among comic strip readers worldwide. Created by
      Patrick McDonnell in 1994, Mutts is currently distributed to more than 450
      newspapers by King Features Syndicate. Unlike many other comic strips with
      animal characters, Mutts' Earl (the dog) and Mooch (the cat) get their
      charm from acting much more like pets than people.

      "People really identify with that special bond we all have with our animal
      companions," says McDonnell. "Animals have unique personalities all their
      own. In Mutts, I try to express the world from their point of view."

      While Mutts is still relatively new to the comics pages, it has already
      received a high level of recognition. McDonnell received the comic book
      industry's esteemed Harvey Award for "Best Syndicated Strip" (named after
      Harvey Kurtzman, creator of Mad Magazine) for Mutts in 1998 and also
      received the National Cartoonists Society's "Best Comic Strip of the Year
      Award" and Germany's Max and Moritz "International Cartoonist of the Year"
      Award that year. In November 1997, McDonnell was honored with the
      prestigious Adamson Statuette from the Swedish Academy of Comic Art for
      "Best International Comic Strip Artist." He has also been nominated four
      out of five years since Mutts' debut for the National Cartoonists Society's
      highest honor, the Reuben Award, taking home the prestigious prize in 1999
      for exemplary work the previous year.

      In addition, McDonnell has twice received the Ark Trust's Genesis Award for
      outstanding contribution to animal protection by a cartoonist, first in
      1997 and again in 1999. A dedicated advocate for animal protection,
      McDonnell has worked with the Humane Society of the United States and the
      North Shore Animal League to create a special series of Mutts "Shelter
      Stories" strips to help raise awareness of the plight of animals in
      shelters and promote pet adoption. He also often partners with animal
      shelters and their mobile units to help local pets find homes during his
      book signing appearances across the country. In recognition of his many
      contributions to animal protection, the members of The Humane Society of
      the United States appointed McDonnell to serve on the Organization's Board
      of Directors in year 2000."

      *WHERE IN THE WORLD IS HOWARD?
      (none of these images are accessible from the website.. yet)

      http://www.madcowboy.com/09_24_02_MC_photos/HL_City.JPG

      http://www.madcowboy.com/09_24_02_MC_photos/HL_talk.JPG

      A GREAT shot of The Mad Cowboy and Technology/Nature by Pat Fitzgerald (one
      of the filming crew)
      http://www.madcowboy.com/09_24_02_MC_photos/HL_Lecturing.JPG

      NEXT ISSUE:

      Sample itineraries from the travel, notes, stuff from filming the
      documentary, many more pictures, buncha new factoids, and an update on how
      the 3ABN filming went!

      Oh, and who owns this car and why was it photographed during the filming of
      the documentary? (note: the state has been removed from the license
      plate... there's no link to this image on the website...yet)

      http://www.madcowboy.com/09_24_02_MC_photos/

      LINKS OF NOTE (still compiling them for the website... 3ABN'ers or those
      who see the broadcast will be particulary interested in the first link
      below):

      Christian Vegetarians:
      http://www.christianveg.com

      Terry Singeltary, Sr's "Mad Cow Disease" Discussion Board:
      http://www.vegsource.com/talk/madcow/index.html