1310_17/_02: "The Bean, Beans, Being, and Beings"

    Oct 17, 2002
      HOWDY!!

      Welcome to the Ninth Issue of the Mad Cowboy Newsletter.

      Today we're focussing on "the bean, beans, being, and beings." Among many
      things, you'll find a sneak preview of photos from the Mad Cowboy Feature
      Documentary filming (USA), learn about beans as the perfect food, know that
      beans'n'salsa orbit the planet, be surprised at dioxins in our milk, read
      about a new study reviewing previous research and new understandings about
      "obesity and cancer," get some background info about the largest meat
      recall in U.S. history, find info on Animal Rights and Student's Rights,
      check out a superb vegan website, have access to 100's of bean recipes, and
      surmise that Martin Luther King, Jr., and Albert Schweitzer might have been
      good friends if born closer togther time-wise.

      Best to y'all! Mark Editor, Mad Cowboy Newsletter

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      01: Quotes of Note (Lyman, Robbins, Jing)
      02: Mad Cowboy Doc Filming USA PF Pix v01
      03: Donating to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      04: ARTICLES: Air Pollution vs Traffic Accidents+
      05: FACTOIDS: Dairy Dioxins
      06: Mad Cowboy on "Beans"
      07: Beans (History/Nutrition)
      08: 100's of Bean Recipes
      09: ARTICLES: Beans & Salsa in Space
      10: ARTICLES: Obesity and Cancer
      11: ARTICLES: Largest Meat Recall...Ever
      12: ARTICLE: What Happens to Recalled Meat?
      13: FROM: "101+ Reasons Not to Be a Vegan"
      14: BOOK: Being Vegan
      15: 10 Vegans or 1000 People Minus 2 Burgers/wk?
      16: Animal Rights and Student's Rights
      17: Answers to Last Week's Questions
      18: Closing Quotes: MLK, Jr. and A. Schweitzer
      19: Next Week

      *01: Quotes of Note
      HOWARD: "And so I had a choice: I could either spend the rest of my life
      as a selfish, sour person, or I could rectify what I didn't like about
      myself. I decided to adopt the philosphy --- nonsensical as it might sound
      --- that I had a second chance to make a first impression.

      My priorities changed before my unsteady eyes. Life and health came first;
      business and profits lost considerable status. Compassion at last entered
      the equation as I began to suspect that my disregard for animals as living
      creatures wqas somehow related to my disregard for my fellow human beings."
      --- ("Mad Cowboy": p. 69)

      "It has been a joy to learn how many times the foods that are healthiest
      for the human body are also the healthiest for our environment and create
      the least suffering for other creatures." --- (John Robbins: "May All Be
      Fed," as quoted by "The Sacred Kitchen," p. 154, Robertson, Robin and John,
      ISBN: 1-57731-092-6)

      "Maintaining order rather than correcting disorder is the ultimate
      principle of wisdom. To cure disease after it has appeared is like digging
      a well when one already feels thirsty, or forging weapons after the war has
      already begun." --- (Nei Jing, a medical classic from 2nd Century B.C., as
      quoted on pg. 7, "Between Heaven and Earth: A Guide to Chinese Medicine,"
      by Beinfield, Harriet and Efrem Korngold, ISBN: 0-345-37974-8)

      *02: Mad Cowboy Doc Filming USA PF Pix v01
      Special for MC Newsletter subscribers: More pix of the USA part of filming
      the Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary. These are the first 50 of some 200
      photos shot by one of the film crew (Pat Fitzgerald). They are not linked
      on the MC Website yet nor annotated. But, we thought you'd enjoy them
      nonetheless:

      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCDOC_USA_PF_v01/index.html

      *03: Donating to the Mad Cowboy Documentary
      5% of sales from the Mad Cowboy website to "http//www.mooshoes.com" go to
      making the "Mad Cowboy Feature Documentary" happen. Check out the MC Home
      Page.

      *04: ARTICLES: Air Pollution vs Traffic Accidents+
      *AIR POLLUTION DEATHS NOW EXCEED TRAFFIC 3 TO 1
      09/17/02: "The World Health Organization reports that 3 million people now
      die each year from the effects of air pollution. This is three times the 1
      million who die each year in automobile accidents. A study published in The
      Lancet in 2000 concluded that air pollution in France, Austria, and
      Switzerland is responsible for more than 40,000 deaths annually in those
      three countries. About half of these deaths can be traced to air pollution
      from vehicle emissions.

      In the United States, traffic fatalities total just over 40,000 per year,
      while air pollution claims 70,000 lives annually. U.S. air pollution deaths
      are equal to deaths from breast cancer and prostate cancer combined. This
      scourge of cities in industrial and developing countries alike threatens
      the health of billions of people."

      (Bernie Fischlowiz-Roberts, Earth Policy Institute: excerpted from:
      http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/Update17.htm)

      *OVER 100 FROG SPECIES DISCOVERED IN SRI LANKA
      10/12/02: "An ecological treasure trove of brightly colored and diverse
      new frog species has been discovered on the tea-plantation-covered island
      of Sri Lanka. The discovery of more than a hundred new rain-forest species
      makes the country a new center of frog diversity and increases the urgency
      for protecting what little forest it retains.

      The new finding increases the island's previously known tree frog diversity
      more than fivefold to over 100 species.

      The simultaneous discovery of more than 100 species isŠastonishing news,"
      said David Skelly of Yale University's School of Forestry and Environmental
      Studies in New Haven, Connecticut." The discovery "is testimony to how
      little we know about the distribution of biodiversity."

      "No other tropical rain-forest region, apart from Australia, is likely to
      have been as thoroughly surveyed as the Sri Lankan rain forests," he said.
      "Therefore we expect that there is substantial unknown diversity in
      tropical regions worldwide."

      (Exerpts from John Pickrell for National Geographic News:
      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/10/1010_021010_srilankafrogs.html)

      *05: FACTOIDS: Dairy Dioxins
      * "Dioxins are highly toxic by-products of many industrial processes e.g.
      chemical and municipal waste incineration or production of chlorophenols.
      These compounds penetrate the environment via air, water and soil and are
      then incorporated in food chains. The major source of human exposure (90%
      of total exposition) is consumption of a wide variety of common foods
      (meat, fish and dairy products) containing small amounts of dioxins. Food
      contamination with dioxins leads to enhanced accumulation of these
      compounds in human tissues to the extent of exceeding acceptable level."
      (Polish Journal: Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig, 1999, 50:3 )

      * "The level of dioxin in a single serving of the Ben & Jerry's World's
      Best Vanilla Ice Cream tested was almost 200 times greater than the
      "virtually safe [daily] dose" determined by the Environmental Protection
      Agency." (Steve Milloy, author of junkscience.com (Milloy tested samples
      of ice cream for dioxins. The only major newspaper to report the story was
      the Detroit Free Press). 11/8/99)

      * "The only safe level of dioxin exposure is no exposure at all."
      (Ben & Jerry's promotional literature )

      * "The majority of toxic dioxin is and (or) has been derived from
      industrial chlorination processes, incineration of municipal waste, and
      production of certain herbicides. The lipophilic nature of dioxins results
      in higher concentrations in the fat of animal and fish products, and their
      excretion via milk secretion in dairy cattle may result in relatively high
      concentrations of dioxin contamination in high-fat dairy products."
      (Journal of Animal Science, 1998 Jan, 76:1)

      *06: Mad Cowboy on "Beans"
      "...just think what I could do if I were a vegan. Then I thought, "Oh God!
      Man cannot live by lettuce alone!" I never met a bean I didn't like. So it
      was lettuce and beans, then whole-wheat bread. Then I thought of
      Thanksgiving dinner, since everything for Thanksgiving dinner could be made
      without animal products except for the turkey." (6th European Vegetarian
      Congress Bussolengo, Italy, September 21 - 26, 1997, as President of the
      International Vegetarian Union:
      http://www.ivu.org/congress/euro97/my-name.html)

      "Bean Burritos." (What are some of your favorite things to eat? Interview:
      http://www.vegfamily.com/interviews/lyman.htm)

      (Note: Howard has been often seen emptying a can of organic beans on his
      salad)

      *07: Beans (History/Nutrition)
      * "Evidence abounds on their cultivation, preparation and consumption: from
      the royal tombs of ancient Egypt to the classical Greece of Homer's Iliad
      and even in the Old Testament. The use of legumes as a basic dietary staple
      can be traced back more than 20,000 years in some Eastern cultures, while
      the common bean, the lima bean and the pinta, or cranberry, bean were
      cultivated for the first time in the very earliest Mexican and Peruvian
      civilisations more than 5,000 years ago, being popular in both the Aztec
      and Inca cultures.

      These ancient cultures already knew that the secret of legumes lies in
      their diversity and immense nutritional value. The Italian writer and
      academic, Umberto Eco maintains that the cultivation of beans in Europe
      during the Middle Ages was of enormous importance, "saving" the Europeans
      from the tragic fate of malnutrition and possible extinctionŠ "Without
      beans, the European population would not have duplicated itself in just a
      few centuries, and we would not be the hundreds of millions that we are
      todayŠ"
      (http://www.legumechef.com/English/historia_en.htm)

      * "Nutritionists characterize the common bean as a nearly perfect food
      because of its high protein content and generous amounts of fiber, complex
      carbohydrates, and other dietary necessities. A single serving (1 cup) of
      beans provides at least half the US Department of Agriculture's recommended
      daily allowance of folic acid-a B vitamin that is especially important for
      pregnant women. It also supplies 25 to 30 percent of the recommended levels
      of iron and meets 25 percent of the daily requirement of magnesium and
      copper as well as 15 percent of the potassium and zinc."
      (http://www.ciat.cgiar.org/ciatinfocus/beans.htm)

      * "Legumes are rich in fibre, both the soluble and the insoluble type.
      These two kinds of fibre perform a number of important functions in our
      bodies, such as:

      detoxifying of the body, normalising bowel function, helping to prevent
      colon cancer, reducing blood levels of cholesterol, regulating digestion,
      lowering the level of the glucose peak produced by the foods eaten with the
      legumes, thereby reducing the risk of developing diabetes."
      (http://www.legumechef.com/English/beneficios_en.htm)

      (Note: and if you haven't had your fill, check out:
      http://www.beanbible.com)

      *08: 100s of Bean Recipes
      http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/beans/
      (187 vegan and vegetarian)

      http://www.vegkitchen.com/beans.html
      (6 veg'n recipes)

      http://www.vegweb.com/food/beans/index.shtml
      (59 plus categories for different beans - GREAT resource)

      http://mexicanfood.about.com/library/vegetarian/blrveg.htm
      (28 categories of veg'n mexican recipes)

      http://mexicanfood.about.com/library/vegetarian/blrvbur.htm
      (veg'n bean burrito recipes)

      http://www.geocities.com/spritie4/recipes/beandip.html
      (Beans 'n' Salsa Recipe)

      *09: ARTICLES: Beans & Salsa in Space
      * "SPACE STATION SALSA"
      10/10/02 (AP): CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Space shuttle Atlantis and its crew
      arrived at the International Space Station on Wednesday for a weeklong
      visit, delivering a giant girder and a big supply of salsa. After four
      months of bland, canned food, the station's lone American, Peggy Whitson,
      had requested some spice. "We've got your salsa," Atlantis' skipper,
      Jeffrey Ashby, radioed as the shuttle drew near.

      (Full Text:
      http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/articles/1010spaceshuttle10.html)

      * "BEANS IN SPACE"
      10/15/02: by Richard Stenger: (CNN) -- ... someday explorers living in
      space for extended periods might not need perishable care packages. They
      will instead grow their own veggies.

      Atlantis, besides delivering groceries, will return home this week with an
      experimental food crop grown in the station's science laboratory. NASA
      hopes its cultivation of the cosmic beans will lead to the development of a
      miniature food farm unit in space, informally dubbed the "salad machine."

      The beans were grown on the space station for their entire life cycle.
      Seeds were brought onboard in June. Whitson kept an eye on them inside a
      specialized growing chamber. They sprouted, shot up, produced flowers and
      then seed pods.

      (excerpted from:
      http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/10/15/cosmic.beans/index.html)

      70-day growth of beans animated GIF:
      http://spd.nasa.gov/news/images/advasc2002_lg.gif

      *10: ARTICLES: Obesity and Cancer
      * " NEW SCIENTIFIC THINKING IMPLICATES BODY FAT AS CANCER PROMOTER"
      Excess Fat May Act as Continuous "Hormone Pump," Raising Risk

      07/11/02: WASH, DC - Scientists at the AICR/WCRF International Research
      Conference on Food, Nutrition and Cancer said today that new research is
      revealing how obesity fundamentally alters the body's systems in ways that
      can "pave the way" for tumors.

      The two-day conference, presented by the American Institute for Cancer
      Research (AICR) and the World Cancer Research Fund International (WCRF
      International), is the world's largest scientific conference on diet and
      cancer.

      Most of us look at our guts and our hips and our love handles and think of
      fat as an inert substance that merely collects and hangs off of us. We
      imagine that those extra pounds just sit there quietly, storing energy,
      until we 'burn' them."

      In fact, Bray said, fat is a remarkably active substance. Studies have
      suggested that fat cells behave like endocrine cells, constantly producing
      and secreting a wide variety of hormones and other so-called "growth
      factors" into the bloodstream. Bray said that these substances send
      signals to other parts of the body, and it is these signals that, under
      certain conditions, seem to make it easier for certain cancers to initiate,
      and to grow.

      Dr. Bray went on to cite a February 2002 report by the World Health
      Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer that estimated
      that being overweight and inactive accounts for one-quarter to one-third of
      worldwide cases of breast cancer, colon cancer, endometrial cancer, kidney
      cancer and esophageal cancer. "That's somewhere between 102,000 and 135,000
      cases in the U.S. alone," he said.

      (Full Press Release and updated 10/11/02 info excerpted below:
      http://www.aicr.org/Obesity/)

      "The evidence to date has consistently linked obesity to POST-MENOPAUSAL
      BREAST CANCER, COLON CANCER, ENDOMETRIAL CANCER, PROSTATE CANCER,
      PANCREATIC CANCER, ESOPHAGEAL CANCER and KIDNEY CANCER. There are several
      likely explanations for the observed increases in risk, including
      behavioral conditions (poor diet, lack of exercise) and biological
      conditions that coincide with excess weight (insulin resistance, hormonal
      changes, trapping of carcinogens in fat deposits, and slow movement of
      carcinogens through the colon.)

      Based on their analysis of the available research, the AICR researchers
      issued the following recommendations:

      Limit weight gain during adulthood to no more than 11 pounds. Strive to
      achieve 1 hour of moderate exercise every day, and one hour of vigorous
      exercise every week. Consume a diet high in cancer-fighting vegetables,
      fruits, whole grains and beans. "

      *11: ARTICLES: Largest Meat Recall...Ever
      *"LARGEST MEAT RECALL IN KNOWN HISTORY"
      10/14/02 Wash Post (A03): "Wampler Foods Inc. recalled all cooked deli
      products made since May at a suburban plant and halted production because
      the meat is possibly contaminated with listeria, authorities said today.

      The recall of about 27.4 million pounds of meat is the largest in U.S.
      Department of Agriculture history. It builds on an Oct. 9 recall of 295,000
      pounds of turkey and chicken products at the plant in Franconia, Pa.

      The company voluntarily expanded the recall to all cold cuts made between
      May 1 and Oct. 11 and halted production Saturday at the plant after samples
      taken from floor drains tested positive for listeria, a bacteria that can
      invade the gastrointestinal tract and cause serious damage in pregnant
      women, the elderly and people with weak immune systems.

      The deli meats were sold to consumers in retail groceries, delicatessens
      and food service distributors under Wampler Foods and several private
      labels such as Pilgrim's Pride, Marie Callender's, Walnut Creek, Imperial
      and Golden Acre.

      Because the recall spans a five-month period, company officials estimated
      less than 10 million pounds of the deli meats may still be in stores, homes
      or restaurants. The remainder has probably been eaten or thrown out by now,
      they said.

      The meat being recalled makes up roughly 6 percent of the company's total
      turkey production, he said."

      Wampler Press Release about recall on their website:
      http://headlines.net/wamplerfoods/01_latest.html

      "PILGRIM'S PRIDE SUPERIOR SAFETY"
      "With current concerns about food safety, Pilgrim's Pride assures
      chicken-lovers that there's nothing in our chicken but chicken. We have
      historically taken and will continue to take every possible step to guard
      against harmful bacteria.

      Pilgrim's Pride is committed to quality food products produced, packed and
      distributed in the safest manner possible. Pilgrim's Pride prepared foods
      division has operated under the Hazardous Analysis and Critical Control
      Points system since 1988. HACCP was developed for NASA to protect
      astronauts from food poisoning in space.

      All lab tests are conducted using FDA-, USDA- or AOAC-approved methodology.
      Silliker Labs, an independent quality check, conducts quarterly audits on
      approximately 60 laboratories across America. Pilgrim's Pride's
      Microbiology Laboratory has scored above average on all quarterly tests to
      date. Pilgrim's Pride has consistently scored "excellent" in American
      Sanitation Institute Food Safety Audits since 1992. Pilgrim's Pride has
      been rated "superior" on American Institute of Baking Sanitation Audits
      since 1989. "
      http://www.pilgrimspride.com/business/food_serv/food_safety.html

      * "RECOGNITION BY OUR CUSTOMERS"
      - Wendy's 1999 Supplier of the Year
      - KFC gave Pilgrim's Pride top rated Colonel status based on 18 standards
      of ISO 9000
      - Pilgrim's Pride received PepsiCo's highest score to date in new food
      safety audits - Pilgrim's 94.4% score was 12% higher than the nearest
      competitor
      - Long John Silver's awarded Pilgrim's with preferred supplier status
      - Achieved a distinctive 95% rating by Wendy's for 5 products supplied in
      1996
      - Certified Vendor of Nestles' Frozen Food
      (http://www.pilgrimspride.com/business/food_serv/nat_acct.html)

      * FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS COMPANY
      Company Overview:
      http://www.pilgrimspride.com/company/

      Pilgrim's Pride History:
      http://www.pilgrimspride.com/company/story/index.html

      "From simple beginnings, Pilgrim's Pride has become the second largest
      poultry company in America and the second largest in Mexico. Today,
      Pilgrim's Pride employs 24,500 people, processes approximately 2.5 billion
      pounds of chicken, 300 million pounds of turkey, and 50 million dozen table
      eggs each year."

      *12: ARTICLE: What Happens to Recalled Meat?
      "The meat will then either be carted off to landfills, tossed into
      incinerators, or set aside for rendering into nonhuman protein
      sourcesói.e., dog and livestock food. Listeria, which is frequently present
      in animal placentas, can be destroyed by subjecting it to temperatures in
      excess of 160 degrees Fahrenheit, so a long spell of industrial-strength
      cooking can make the recalled turkey pastrami and chicken breasts safe for
      canine consumption. (However, due in large part to the furor over mad cow
      disease, there are growing concerns over the wisdom of feeding tainted meat
      to cattle, regardless of how well it's been heated.)" (excerpted from:
      http://slate.msn.com/?id=2072339)

      *13: FROM: "101+ Reasons Not to Be a Vegan"
      #1. Most people don't know what it is and can't pronounce it.

      #15. Your office parties are catered by Piggie Park (an actual barbeque
      place in S.C.).

      #29. Others feel driven to point out that vegetables are alive too!

      #31. You have to restrain yourself every time you hear "I couldn't do it"
      as the closing argument on every discussion of the merits of veganism.

      #71. When the neighbor found out you were vegetarian after inviting you to
      a barbecue, he now thinks it's funny to announce to you every time he's
      cooking some sort of steak, roast, lamb, or ribs for his family.

      #102. You feel like you should have a memorized index of recipes,
      environmental statistics and health facts to draw on in every conversation.
      How many omnivores get asked what their typical meals are? And how many of
      them are quizzed on their balance of nutrients or eating ethics?

      (Note: one of the reasons Howard has emphasized referenced factoids on his
      website!)

      #117. Your friends introduce you as a vegetarian sometimes before your name
      is even mentioned.

      #143. You get such bizare questions and comments that are in some nature
      sticking up for meat/dairy/egg eating and being so baffled that you can't
      think of anything to say in return except "huh" at which point they think
      they have won the debate.

      #147. Excitedly scanning a yummy looking snack.....excitement
      growing...then at the very bottom of the ingredients seeing "may contain 2%
      or less of whey."

      (Note: Susan Voisin has put together an absolutely marvelous vegan website
      where the above was excerpted from. Definitely worth checking out no
      matter what you may or may not eat! The Master List of links is wonderful
      as well. (http://sbvdesigns.com/veg/index.htm)

      *14: BOOK: Being Vegan
      * "BEING VEGAN: LIVING WITH CONSCIENCE, CONVICTION, AND COMPASSION "

      "In this definitive and engaging guide to veganism, author Joanne Stepaniak
      fields questions from both friends and foes, explaining how compassion,
      kindness, and respect for all animals -- including human beings -- can be
      thoughtfully and practically incorporated into day-to-day living. Tackling
      a wide array of compelling and useful topics -- from maintaining vegan
      convictions under social pressure to finding the hidden animal by-products
      in ingredients lists -- Joanne provides insight, reassurance, and guidance
      for the many difficult situations that vegans face in a non-vegan world.

      Being Vegan answers questions about:

      The historical foundations and meaning of being vegan Incorporating vegan
      ethics into everyday life Dynamic harmlessness and the vegan philosophy
      Maintaining vegan principles in relationships with others Lifestyle
      challenges and choices Food and ingredients

      If you or someone in your life has been searching for common-sense answers
      to the many questions about the vegan lifestyle, or wishing that someone
      would decipher perplexing philosophical concerns about veganism, Being
      Vegan is the ideal resource."

      (http://www.vegsource.com/joanne/bv.htm)

      *15: 10 Vegans or 1000 People Minus 2 Burgers/wk?
      Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:41:34 -0500
      To: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
      From: Mark Sutton
      Subject: 10 vegans vs 1000 people eating 2 less burgers a week

      An interesting question was asked recently on [this] List:

      "If we can work to get 10 people to go vegan, or if we can work to get
      1,000 people to give up two burgers a week, which one is going to have the
      biggest net impact in the world?"

      **ANALYSIS: The data I'm using is from a FARM PDF Factsheet:
      http://www.wfad.org.

      ... the average carnivorous American is responsible for the suffering and
      death of 11 cows, 32 pigs & sheep, 85 turkeys, and 2570 chickens/ducks over
      a 75 year period (personally, I wonder if that cow figure isn't low... how
      many other products, like, chicken McNuggets involve beef).

      So, all things being "equal" (not knowing the chronological age of the
      theoretical 10 or 1000, if they eat the SAD, do the numbers include leather
      products, rounding off numbers for just a general feel of the magnitudes,
      and so on):

      CONVERTING 10 people to veganism (or vegetarianism??) (stats X 10):

      SAVES: 110 cows, 320 pigs and sheep, 850 turkeys, 25,700 chickens and ducks

      POTENTIAL TOTAL ANIMALS SAVED: around 27,000 animals
      POTENTIAL TOTAL ANIMALS KILLED: 0

      CONVINCING 1000 people to eat two less hamburgers a week:

      SAVES: (assuming this is about third less beef consumed on average): 3,600 cows

      KILLS: 7,400 cows, 32,000 pigs & sheep, 85,000 turkeys, 2,570,000 chickens
      and ducks

      POTENTIAL TOTAL ANIMALS SAVED: around 3,600 cows
      POTENTIAL TOTAL ANIMALS KILLED: around 2,694,400 animals

      **SUMMATION:
      As a broad estimate, assuming no additional reductions in consumption of
      meat, etc., etc..... converting 10 people to veganism has the potential to
      save the lives of 27000 animals, while getting 1000 people to eat two less
      burgers a weeks has the potential to save the lives of around 3600 cows,
      and still kill around 2.6 million animals.

      Yes, it doesn't mean if you don't eat the animal it won't be killed, but
      the above is as valid as stats such as saving enough water to float a
      battleship by "growing" one less steer for slaughter. Perhaps instead of
      "kill" one might use "reduce the demand for the slaughter of, etc."

      Also, these estimates do not take into account such water usage, the
      destruction of topsoil, methane (greenhouse gas emissions), fossil fuel
      utilization, manure in soil, and human health considerations. Note, too,
      that the FARM datasheet didn't included numbers for fish. It would be an
      interersting exercise to factor this all in too..."

      *16: Animal Rights and Student's Rights
      "Gary Francione and Anna Charlton wrote Vivisection and Dissection in the
      Classroom: A Guide to Conscientious Objection, which may be ordered from
      this site, as a guide for the student who does not wish to dissect or
      vivisect in the educational context. It is not intended as a substitute for
      legal advice from a practicing attorney who is admitted to practice in the
      state where a student is enrolled in an educational institution. The book
      sets out the general legal principles that form the basis of the student's
      legal claim, with analysis of the most important cases and recent
      legislation in this area that have affected the student's right. The book
      concludes with model letters that can be used by a student wishing to
      secure an alternative to the use of animals and to preserve her rights
      while negotiating with her school or college. It also appends a Complaint
      filed in an actual student's rights case."

      (Full details, commentaries, lotta neat legal info:
      http://www.animal-law.org/srco/stdrts.htm)

      *17: Answers to Last Week's Questions
      1) What language is this tell-all book written in?
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MN8Q2/sk400.jpg

      Polish!

      2) Why are these people not happy with Howard?
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MN8Q2/p1010095.jpg

      Vegan Congressman Dennis Kucinich. Howard's leaving!

      3) Who wrote this?

      "All that was required of them was a primitive patriotism which could be
      appealed to whenever it was necessary to make them accept longer working
      hours or shorter rations. And even when they became discontented, as they
      sometimes did, their discontent led nowhere, because, being without general
      ideas, they could only focus it on petty specific grievances. The larger
      evils invariably escaped their notice. "

      George Orwell, "1984"

      4) Which kills more people globally and nationally: air pollution or
      traffic accidents?

      See this Newsletter up above (hint: it ain't cars)

      *18: Closing Quotes
      "Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question,
      'Is it popular?' But conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there
      comes a point when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor
      polite, nor popular, but one must take it because one's conscience tells
      him or her that it is right."

      Martin Luther King, Jr.

      (April 4, 1967, delivering his first public antiwar speech at New York's
      Riverside Church. For full text of speech:
      http://www.yonip.com/peace/autobio.htm)

      "It would seem as if Descartes, with his theory that animals have no souls
      and are mere machines which only seem to feel pain, had bewitched all of
      modern philosophy. Philosophy has totally evaded the problem of man's
      conduct toward other organisms. We might say that philosophy has played a
      piano of which a whole series of keys were considered untouchable.

      To the universal ethics of reverence for life, pity for animals, so often
      smilingly dismissed as sentimentality, becomes a madate no thinking person
      can escape.

      The time will come when public opinion will no longer tolerate amusements
      based on the mistreatement and killing of animals. The time will come, but
      when? When will we reach the point that hunting, the pleasure in killing
      animals for sport, will be regarded as a mental aberation?"

      Albert Schweitzer, pg. 47-50, from Reverence for Life: The Words of Albert
      Scheweitzer, as quoted in "This Sacred Earth," ISBN: 0-415-91233-4)

      *19: Next Week
      Our Tenth Anniversary as a Newsletter. A special "best of" collection from
      the past 9 issues.

      And... who is this guy with the great view?
      http://www.madcowboy.com/MCDOC_USA_PF_v01/pictures/p1010058.html

      SAT 10/19/02: CHICAGO, ILLINOIS < EarthSave Chicago's 3rd Annual
      "Conference for Conscious Living" - Ryan Family Auditoriaum-
      http://chicago.earthsave.org/index.html

      SUN 10/20/02: CHICAGO, ILLINOIS < 3rd Unitarian Church 10am - E-mail:
      susan@...