Amid stench of death, poor bear the brunt

  • anjalisaga
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005
      Amid stench of death, poor bear the brunt

      Gary Younge in Pascalouga, Mississippi
      Friday September 2, 2005
      The Guardian

      The journey from Pensacola to Pascalouga starts with a search for
      petrol and ends with a search for the dead.

      Along the way, the smell of damp in Mobile, Alabama, turns to the
      stench of death from the Gulf Coast. The radio dial flits from call-in
      shows fielding requests from beleaguered mayors of small hamlets for
      generators and ice to Baptist preachers promising God's wrath. But for
      many here, it seems as though his will has already been done.

      Article continues
      The entrance to Pascalouga reveals crushed homes and dilapidated
      stores alongside queues for petrol and food.

      "I've got enough supplies for another two days but I don't know what
      I'm going to do after that," said Sarah Jackson as she entered her
      second hour in a queue outside Wal-Mart.

      "I keep telling myself I'm lucky because it could have been worse, but
      with each day I feel less and less lucky."

      Officials on the Gulf Coast say the emphasis has moved from search and
      rescue to bag and tag as emergency rescue workers cut their way
      through to Gulfport and Biloxi to find the death toll rising steadily.

      "This is far worse than any of the worst case scenarios we thought we
      would ever have to deal with", said one law enforcement official from
      Long Beach.

      Ten people have so far been reported dead in Jackson County, home to
      Pascalouga.

      "The magnitude of it is mind-boggling," a Mississippi congressman,
      Gene Taylor, told the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. "I'm guessing tens of
      thousands of homes are gone."

      While everyone here was hard hit by Katrina, not everyone was affected
      in the same way. The wealthy lost property on the seafront. But the
      lives and the livelihoods of the poor without cars to escape, sturdy
      homes to protect them and insurance to fall back on, were the most
      vulnerable.

      In one of the poorest states in the country, where black people earn
      half as much as white people, this has taken on a racial dimension

      "People who live in poverty and don't have the means to evacuate were
      definitely more likely to perish," said Michael Matthews, an African
      American who was nudging his car slowly up the four-hour queue for
      petrol in Lucedale.

      "The president is flying down here tomorrow in a plane, to tell us we
      can only use 20 gallons of gas. I think they are taking advantage."

      In Yvonne Trailer park in Lucedale, residents hold out little hope of
      speedy government help.

      "I don't think we'll see any of that here," said Raybelle Perrymon,
      sitting in the shade on her wheelchair, stricken by polio. She is an
      elderly black woman cared for by a younger white man, Charles
      Childens, who shares her trailer and her Kools.

      She cannot get her disability benefit because the banks are closed.
      That means she cannot pay her rent or buy food. "We need help, but I
      don't think we're going to get any, until everybody else has gotten
      theirs," she said. Mr Childens nodded. "We need something to eat," he
      said. "We need it pretty soon."

      Lives, like the trees, have been uprooted, and some have returned home
      to find almost nothing as it was.

      "Look down," Maureen Burnett told a New York Times reporter as she
      searched for her mother in Pass Christian. "See that kitchen table?
      That's her table ... the house ain't there."

      Pascalouga residents expressed frustration with the relief effort,
      complaining it was too slow in doling out provisions and information.
      "We can't wait for the kind of help they are giving," said Sharon
      Jones, sitting on her porch.

      "The lines [for handouts] are ridiculous. You need to wait five or six
      hours for water and ice and that's all the authorities are giving.
      I've got food for one more day; after that I'll have to pray."

      Ms Jones said her mother had lost everything.

      "They keep telling us to call Fema [the Federal Emergency Management
      Agency]. When we try to call we can't get through; she's just lucky
      I'm here."

      Petrol curbs are getting tighter and last night people could only buy
      $30 (£16) worth of fuel. Many petrol stations are closed, forcing
      people like Rover Furnas to make a 40-mile round trip to fill up his car.

      "This situation has had a severe mental effect on everybody, but as
      for a physical effect, well, that has hurt some a lot more than
      others," he said.