Israeli peace activist Juliano Mer Khamis shot dead in Jenin / tragedy ....

  • Anjalika
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2011

      There is much more here than meets the eye - the story will unfold,  as will the drama. I wonder what Zubeidi knows and feels. Juliano brought him up more or less. What a fucking nightmare - what a vile and stupid end.

      I cannot believe this has happened. Has it happened? My time with the Freedom Theatre changed my life..I shed tears now but not only of grief but for the waste... the wasting of a person who was no threat except to those who wanted to perpetuate eternal shit and pain. Militants killed him but they were and are cowards - they had a chance to move out of their abjection but did not and will not stand up to the idea of servicing the justice Palestine deserves. They have done nothing but kill one of the greats in the world - someone who wholeheartedly believed and embodied the potential of a different landscape to that divided controlled, scarred and broken place.

      I would like to thank Juliano for allowing me into their world in 2007/8, for telling me his story and for his humour despite the suffering and violence. For helping me with our film, for the welcome, the food, the fun, the magnaminity,  the support, the words, the listening, the dream, the fight against the colonial vipers and for his openess to us all and for his healthy hatred of bullshit.

      Jenin will never laugh again. You brought laughter, joy, challenge and culture. It is the only place I have seen art and politics in relation to the lived reality.

      I didn't do my best to help you all, I thought you were invincible over there in Jenin.

      I pity the man who killed you, he will never know happiness - he will always suffer.

      Good bye ... dream in your travels onward and keep shining it will help this broken planet.

      The world here - that land however fragile will one day recover.

      good bye and thank you from my heart

      In sadness and with love and deep sympathy for all those that knew and loved him.

      You knew that the mechanics of change had to come from the inside and that is why you threatened all the complicit cowards.

      You live... you live ... you live...

      Anjali

      Israeli peace activist Juliano Mer Khamis shot dead in Jenin

      Witnesses say actor – who ran a drama project in a Palestinian refugee camp – was shot five times by masked men

      Mer Khamis had received death threats for his work in Jenin Mer Khamis had received death threats for his work in Jenin. Photograph: Saif Dahlah/AFP/Getty Images

      An Israeli actor and peace activist who ran a drama project in a Palestinian refugee camp has been shot dead by masked men, metres from the theatre he founded.

      Juliano Mer Khamis, 52, had received threats for his work in Jenin in the northern West Bank but continued to divide his time between Jenin and Haifa in the north of Israel. Witnesses said he was shot five times.

      Mer Khamis appeared in a number of Israeli films after his first film role in the 1984 production of the John Le Carre novel The Little Drummer Girl, about Mossad's hunt for a PLO bomber.

      He was born to a Jewish mother and an Arab Christian father. His mother, Arna, was renowned for setting up a theatre group in Jenin during the first Intifada which started in 1987. Mer Khamis directed the film Arna's Children, which celebrated her work, which he continued after her death in 1994. His wife, Jenny, a Finn, is pregnant with twins. She heard of his death from Israeli radio.

      Mer Khamis's body was transported to an Israeli checkpoint, from where it was taken to Tel Aviv for a postmortem examination.

      While his work was widely appreciated by Palestinians, his bringing together of young men and women angered conservative Muslim elements in Jenin. In addition to threats, fire bombs were thrown at the theatre. However the project was supported by local militants. Zakaria Zubeidi, a leader of the al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, frequented the theatre as a child.

      Kadura Musa, governor of Jenin, said: "He was a Palestinian citizen of Israeli origin. An actor and an artist but most of all a true human being. We don't know why this happened, but all the people of the camp condemn the death of this son of ours whose mother also did so much for the people of Jenin."

      Alaa Eddin Saadi lives next to the theatre, and said that Mer Khamis was shot while in a car also carrying his one-year old son and his nanny, who was wounded in the hand. "I don't think he was killed because he was Jewish. Some people were angry with the liberal values he was promoting at the theatre, but to me he was a very nice guy who worked hard for the people here."